Author Topic: What book(s) are you reading?  (Read 683908 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: What book(s) are you reading?
« Reply #1320 on: January 01, 2012, 04:25:32 AM »
The Lyonesse trilogy is amazing

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1321 on: January 01, 2012, 04:31:21 AM »
While I've got the ranting hat on, most people's definition of 'fantasy' is far too narrow, and only encompasses what Barnes & Noble deems as such. To my eyes, 'Animal Farm' is fantasy, as is 'As You Like It' and the entire magical realism genre. The same goes for SF, really. 'Oryx and Crake' by Margaret Atwood is as SF as SF can be, but it gets claimed by the litfic crowd. The canons of the various 'genres' of SF, fantasy and horror would be a fuck of a lot richer if their crown jewels didn't get claimed as simply 'literature' and the pap deemed the standard.
vjj

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1322 on: January 01, 2012, 04:34:17 AM »
preach

Enough shitty "literature" is released every year in droves yet only fantasy is judged and looked down upon by a double standard

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1323 on: January 01, 2012, 05:21:40 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Should be done tonight. Probably the best fantasy book I've ever read.

It's ok I guess but Harry Potter is tons better. I'm sure the film will be better

The lore in Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell, is refreshing for a fantasy novel. The amount of details in the novel rivals Tolkien, except without the fluff.

I realize that Jonathon Strange is not for everyone. It constantly goes into random, lengthy footnotes which for all intents and purposes add to the lore of the book. But unlike say, Lord of the Rings, which constantly drops its random loot, Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell builds upon lore after lore, making the world rich with details. The fact it exists in our own world makes it even more approachable and enticing.

Still, I think the book has a lot of personality and I enjoy the writing. It's an interesting novel in that it takes place in a specific period but the story is not in any defined by the period. Very Harry Potter-esque and certainly different from other fantasy. I find it refreshing that it's not wave your wand and have fire shooting out the tip fantasy, but fantasy with a far more grand scale, almost godly, if I were to use a random descriptor.

Factor all of this in with comedy addled social commentary which reeks of Jane Austen and you have a book that I adore.

I was hoping for a different response to that troll  :-\

If it's any solace, I was about to launch into a ;tldr tirade, but then you fessed up to the troll.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1324 on: January 01, 2012, 05:22:07 AM »
reading The Wasp Factory.  WUT
JUST WAIT!

Yeah, that book starts weird and then goes crazy.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1325 on: January 01, 2012, 07:29:49 AM »
What gets dumped in the 'fantasy' section in bookstores is really more like 'Tolkien fanfic' sadly. Most of it is turgid, predictable pap for sure, but there is a world of great stuff that could and should be placed alongside it. Half of what is now being called 'Young Adult' fiction, for a start. Jonathan Stroud's 'Bartimaeus' books for example - for my money they kick the arse of Harry Potter and should be sold to adults, children, fantasy fans, literature fans, adventure fans, whatever. But they are marketed to 13 yr olds 'cause that's where the market is perceived to be these days.
vjj

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #1326 on: January 01, 2012, 12:12:26 PM »
happy new year, oscar!
duc

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #1327 on: January 01, 2012, 12:46:29 PM »
Yeaaaahhhh pissinn
o_0

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1328 on: January 01, 2012, 03:42:29 PM »
I totally count Cold Comfort Farm as sci-fi, because of Stella Gibbons throwing in some off-target futurism (video payphones! personal airplanes!) that are completely superfluous to the plot anyway.  More books should have stuff like that.

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #1329 on: January 01, 2012, 05:03:30 PM »
I don't have any problem with Tolkien's prose style or pacing, or Asimov's for example (not that he's anything like Tolkien, but he's a golden age SF author whose writing often gets slagged as "wooden"). Can't stand the overwrought GRR Martin crap though, just feels forced and inauthentic to me.
QED

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1330 on: January 01, 2012, 05:39:46 PM »
I've actually never made it through the LOTR books.  It's not the quality of the prose in general, but the tendency to give long, detailed descriptions of the physical setting.  For whatever reason, my brain just can not deal with it.  I'll hit a certain part of the book (*cough* Tom Bombadil) and realize that I've been scanning the words for a couple pages without actually processing any of it.  Love The Hobbit, though.

Asimov's on the other end of the spectrum.  Everything of his I've read may as well take place in a cardboard box.  It's all dialogue, ideas, plot and logic puzzles.  Super easy reading.  Which probably has something to do with my Austen fetish fandom.

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #1331 on: January 01, 2012, 05:46:37 PM »
tbh I couldn't get through The Two Towers either. I eventually just skipped it and started Return of the King. However that was really less about the prose and more about the content.
QED

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #1332 on: January 01, 2012, 11:57:19 PM »
Omigod I just discovered the Amazon Prime "Book Borrowing" system :O

First the Seattle Public Library starts offering Kindle books, now this...I may never have to pay for text again

(I feel bad for saying this as my dad kept the family fed by writing books back in the 80s-90s)

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #1333 on: January 02, 2012, 12:27:43 AM »
Yeah, I remember the text bubble of the 80s/90s was kinda crazy. At one point speculators had put a seven figure valuation on a single semicolon.
QED

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #1334 on: January 02, 2012, 12:28:26 AM »
Yeah, I remember the text bubble of the 80s/90s got kinda crazy though. At one point speculators had put a seven figure valuation on a single semicolon.
QED

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #1335 on: January 02, 2012, 01:54:03 AM »
I've actually never made it through the LOTR books.  It's not the quality of the prose in general, but the tendency to give long, detailed descriptions of the physical setting.  For whatever reason, my brain just can not deal with it.  I'll hit a certain part of the book (*cough* Tom Bombadil) and realize that I've been scanning the words for a couple pages without actually processing any of it.  Love The Hobbit, though.

Same issue for me.
Tonya

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1336 on: January 02, 2012, 01:55:41 AM »
agreed, my attention span is too short- has a head exploded in the last few minutes? has the god-emperor been glorified? grimdark? no? pass.
o_0

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1337 on: January 02, 2012, 02:06:54 AM »
I loved LOTR and had no problem with the pacing, although the two things I didn't like were some of the longer songs and the Bambadil scenes

Personally I love the detailed descriptions of things in fantasy novels, especially details involving army strength and the almost census-quality discussion of regional strength. I created an excel based on various info on the North's potential manpower in the ASOIAF series. It was accidentally deleted from my HD shortly before ADWD was released, which sucked because the book pretty much validated my numbers  :'(

MrAngryFace

« Reply #1338 on: January 02, 2012, 02:09:05 AM »
FURRY HOBBIT FEET REACHING FOR THE POT OF HONEYS AND BREADS WHERE IS THE BUTTER OH THERE IT IS ON THE THIRD SHELF
o_0

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1339 on: January 02, 2012, 02:18:20 AM »
I covered an onion in butter and cooked it in the oven just because all my favorite characters in fantasies eat that and it sounds so awesome. Didn't turn out awesome at all :(

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #1340 on: January 02, 2012, 08:39:32 PM »
Just finished Snow Crash and quite liked it. If I were to read another Stephenson book, which should it be?
zzzzz

Himu

« Reply #1341 on: January 02, 2012, 08:45:44 PM »
Just finished Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell. Wonderful introduction to Susanna Clarke and I'm really anticipated to read The Hunger Games trilogy.

Starting Miyuki Miyabe's All She Was Worth tonight.

Also, the mid-section of The Two Towers was absolutely agony. How I got through that when I was 15 I will never know. The Hobbit owns, however, but it's a totally different kind of literature. Thankfully, The Hobbit can be read in a day, and its pages are filled with wonderful charm and adventure, something Lord of the Rings' books failed to deliver by emphasizing menial details that really don't add to the world much beyond minutiae.

That said, I'll give the books a point for particular sections. The Two Towers ending was fantastic, and a fine example of a cliff hanger. It ends with Frodo taken by Shelob, with Sam actively going to take up Frodo's mantle as ring bearer with the idea that Frodo was dead. Putting that section into Return of the King's film was a huge mistake, I think.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 08:56:20 PM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1342 on: January 02, 2012, 08:59:16 PM »

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #1343 on: January 02, 2012, 09:01:42 PM »
Just finished Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell. Wonderful introduction to Susanna Clarke and I'm really anticipated to read The Hunger Games trilogy.

I enjoyed The Hunger Games trilogy. It was definitely geared towards young adults and has  A LOT of innocent teenage sexual tension though.
nat

Himu

« Reply #1344 on: January 02, 2012, 09:04:12 PM »
I haven't read the LotR trilogy since I was a teenager. I may have more patience to get through it now. I've read that depending on your age, you may be able to appreciate LotR books a bit more, though that could be damage control for all I know.

I enjoyed The Hunger Games trilogy. It was definitely geared towards young adults and has  A LOT of innocent teenage sexual tension though.

Thanks for the warning.
IYKYK

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1345 on: January 02, 2012, 09:09:40 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susanna_Clarke

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzanne_Collins

Himu

« Reply #1346 on: January 02, 2012, 09:13:06 PM »
Huh. I have my kindle set up so that it orders by author, and I keep reading "Susanna Clarke" when I see "Suzanne Collins". Welp. Now I'm mad because I was hoping for more Susanna Clarke.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 09:17:32 PM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1347 on: January 02, 2012, 09:21:11 PM »
No biggie, author names are just minutiae detail

Himu

« Reply #1348 on: January 02, 2012, 09:22:18 PM »
You're just mad because Tom Bombadil is a shit character.
IYKYK

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #1349 on: January 02, 2012, 09:30:40 PM »
My 13 year old niece was reading The Hunger Games over the holiday break.  Enjoy :-\

im pretty sure it didn't start getting the Twilight treatment until after the first book came out. So at least reading that isn't a problem.
nat

Himu

« Reply #1350 on: January 02, 2012, 09:45:02 PM »
The only reason I got The Hunger Games was because on the kindle store it's cheap as fuck; I'm talking like 2-3 bucks. Also, my friend recommended it. But this friend also likes True Blood. Oh god.
IYKYK

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #1351 on: January 02, 2012, 09:49:38 PM »
its not high class literature but it's entertaining.
nat

Himu

« Reply #1352 on: January 02, 2012, 09:50:37 PM »
Well, I'm looking forward to reading most anything at the moment and hey, at least it was cheap!
IYKYK

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1353 on: January 02, 2012, 09:55:07 PM »
"It was pretty good, until the second book when the author describes the main female character as weighing 125 lbs.  wtf?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1354 on: January 02, 2012, 10:02:28 PM »
 :lol

Himu

« Reply #1355 on: January 02, 2012, 10:03:03 PM »
It's about teenage girls.  I wouldn't trust fistful's rec on this one.

I was going to read it after All She Was Worth, but I think I'll read Life of Pi or Daughter of Smoke and Bone next. Thanks!
IYKYK

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #1356 on: January 02, 2012, 10:11:43 PM »
it's actually about a teenage girl. singular.
nat

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #1357 on: January 02, 2012, 11:17:27 PM »
I am currently reading THE HUNGER GAMES as this months Amazon Prime freebie. This is classified as young adult fiction, right? Because the vocab feels like a 5th grade reading level.

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #1358 on: January 03, 2012, 12:07:14 AM »
I actually read that Miyuki Miyabe book years ago, but found it completely forgettable. As in, I've literally forgotten everything about it other than the author's name, the fact that I read it, it was some kind of mystery, and it was kinda boring.

I told you before, you should try China Mieville, you might like Perdido Street Station.

QED

Cheebo

« Reply #1359 on: January 03, 2012, 05:49:23 AM »
I am currently reading THE HUNGER GAMES as this months Amazon Prime freebie. This is classified as young adult fiction, right? Because the vocab feels like a 5th grade reading level.
Yeah its young adult, surprisingly enjoyable though. I dismissed it as a sort of Twilight but all 3 books were pretty decent.
₩‰\

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1360 on: January 03, 2012, 06:40:10 AM »
I am reading You Are Not So Smart which is a terrifying book.

Your brain is your fucking enemy.  You should not trust it.  At all.

It's a compilation and expansion of a website which discusses all the things your brain does to safely get you through the day.  Unfortunately most of what those things are make you sound like a ego-maniacal sociopath.

http://youarenotsosmart.com/

edit; i read the first book of the hunger games trilogy because my gf's book group read it and she had it laying around.  eh.

Himu, if you want something inexpensive and worth your time on Kindle, check out John Rector's The Grove or Already Gone.  They're both $5 and they're both short reads and they're both quite good.  The ending to Already Gone is a bit problematic, but everything up to that point is pretty grand.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 06:43:28 AM by Eric P »
Tonya

Robo

« Reply #1361 on: January 03, 2012, 05:10:10 PM »

Anyone have the hi-res version of this thing saved somewhere?  Google results keep linking back to the original dead link.

Nevermind, I found it.   http://biblioklept.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/024_lg.jpg
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 05:12:59 PM by Robo »
obo

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #1362 on: January 03, 2012, 06:07:20 PM »

I was going to read it after All She Was Worth, but I think I'll read Life of Pi or Daughter of Smoke and Bone next. Thanks!

the life of pi is so, so, so, so awful
duc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #1363 on: January 03, 2012, 06:08:14 PM »
I am reading You Are Not So Smart which is a terrifying book.

this is a great book. i learn't about it from r. scott bakker's blog, and was a really insightful (and yes, terrifying) read.
duc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #1364 on: January 03, 2012, 06:18:58 PM »
i read a buncha pulp horror crap, none of which was really good.

the two best books i read on break were (in order) "blindsight" by peter bates, which is the best piece of hard first contact sf i've read in ages; and "altered carbon", a sci-fi classic i've had sitting around on my nook for some time and never really got around to reading.

i really, really second patel's recommendation of "blindsight". much like "you are not so smart," it makes a compelling case AGAINST sentience as a competitive advantage. MUST READ FOR NEUROPSYCH AND SEMIOTICS/LINGUISTICS NERDS. could we ever actually get along with something intelligent that we don't -- and can't  -- understand, when we can't even get along with the intelligent life forms we slightly understand -- ourselves? it asks.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
no. duh. :derp
[close]

also PLAUSIBLE AND AWESOME SPACE VAMPIRES.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 06:21:52 PM by Van Cruncheon »
duc

Eric P

• Icon
What book(s) are you reading?
« Reply #1365 on: January 03, 2012, 06:22:11 PM »
More plausible than Tobe Hooper's seminal Life Force?  I think not.
Tonya

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #1366 on: January 03, 2012, 06:24:23 PM »
oh yes. there's even a hilariously awesome explanation for their aversion to crucifixes!

they perceive events non-linearly (in associative quasi-simultaneity) -- basically, they have a pervasive and profound case of hyperthemistic syndrome -- and euclidean right angles induce grand mal seizures as they are incapable of processing perfectly unnatural shapes and configurations. their brain can't rationalize geometric permutations that result in perfect trigonometries, as they get their synapses tied up computing the asymptotes. L O L

the space vampires aren't the aliens, anyhow. the aliens are closer to shoggoths. in the book, humanity resurrects the vampire genetic lineage to use their atemporal processing abilities to evaluate real-time tactical scenarios for engagement using their sensory/cognitive parallelism. that they also have the desire to EAT PEOPLE is an absurdly hilarious part of a key subplot.
[close]
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 06:35:31 PM by Van Cruncheon »
duc

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #1367 on: January 03, 2012, 07:20:20 PM »
absolutely EVERYONE I know has been telling me to read the Blindsight thing lately, which has made me kinda not wanna  :hans1

edit: ok, that crucifix thing is AMAZING
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 07:24:26 PM by recursivelyenumerable »
QED

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #1368 on: January 03, 2012, 09:43:22 PM »

qft.  not a brave book at all.

cool breeze

« Reply #1369 on: January 04, 2012, 12:57:49 PM »
quick question about eink readers:  if I buy a nook touch, is there a way I can still use the amazon service? I like the nook touch more than the kindle touch, but Amazon seems like a way better seller and all that.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1370 on: January 04, 2012, 12:59:22 PM »
I finished You Are Not So Smart and loved it. Should be required reading, really. Your brain is your enemy. You must not trust it.

I moved from that to a brand new printing of Nick Blinko's The Primal Screamer, which is Lovecraftian Horror meets Anarcho-Punk. I'm usually quite weary of Cthulhu meets Noun books, but Nick Blinko was the lead singer, guitarist of Anarco-Punk/DeathRock band Rudamentary Peni who recorded an album devoted to HP Lovecraft in 1987. So well before the internet mash up culture came along and ruined everything.

The book is told from the perspective of an analyst who is brought in to deal with the character Nat after a suicide attempt and the book takes the form of a doctor's journal tracking progress.

It's a very short book lasting only 120 pages so I'll finish this either today or tomorrow. I made it a quarter of the way through just on my train ride in to work this morning.

So far, there is no weirdness, but this edition by PM Publishing, best known for punk rock related books is filled with Nick's artwork which had been done for many previous versions.
Tonya

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1371 on: January 04, 2012, 01:05:10 PM »
Is You Are Not So Smart worth it if you've read much of the blog?
AMC

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1372 on: January 04, 2012, 01:11:41 PM »
I don't know.  I wasn't familiar with the blog.  He says that there's a lot of new content and some of his more popular entries had been expanded for the book.
Tonya

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #1373 on: January 04, 2012, 01:33:19 PM »

man, I wish I could find my awesome Life of Pi rant, "Irrational and Infinitely Long"
乱学者

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #1374 on: January 04, 2012, 01:41:44 PM »
I read 11/23/63 over the break, to my own tears. Shoulda listened to Prole on that one when I coulda gotten out safely. Turns out, the only thing worse than a hand-waving King ending vagary is is King relentlessly plotting his ending into lockstep complicity with the narrative. Jason's I Killed Adolph Hitler has more romance and time-travel knots in 48 pages than King managed in half a tree.

Reading Deathless, now, by Catherynne Valente - about how traditional Russian folklore fixtures (Baba Yaga, Koschei, etc.) survive and adapt to the Communist revolution. It's a lot more romantic and sweeping and a lot less precious than that description might make it sound.

Also started The Pale King, and am loving it - it's far more nuanced and complete than I was lead to believe from its "unfinished novel" nomenclature, and NOBODY writes chapter-long sentences like DFW.
乱学者

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #1375 on: January 04, 2012, 02:12:16 PM »
I remember liking parts of Life of Pi, but the "moral" at the end was  ::) and ultimately the whole thing seemed kinda pointless
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 02:14:04 PM by recursivelyenumerable »
QED

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #1376 on: January 04, 2012, 02:15:13 PM »
I remember liking parts of Life of Pi, but the "moral" at the end was  ::) and ultimately the whole thing seemed kinda pointless

It would have been the perfect M. Night Shamalayan movie...
乱学者

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #1377 on: January 04, 2012, 02:26:36 PM »
IIRC I enjoyed the middle section of the book, the actual adventure part with the tiger and stuff. I think if I were to choose I would prefer the version of it that had the tiger, but didn't have the wraparound sections attempting to assign symbolic significance to whether it had the tiger or not. what is the metaphoric meaning of my preference, I wonder?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 02:30:03 PM by recursivelyenumerable »
QED

« Reply #1378 on: January 04, 2012, 05:00:33 PM »
i read a buncha pulp horror crap, none of which was really good.

the two best books i read on break were (in order) "blindsight" by peter bates, which is the best piece of hard first contact sf i've read in ages; and "altered carbon", a sci-fi classic i've had sitting around on my nook for some time and never really got around to reading.

i really, really second patel's recommendation of "blindsight". much like "you are not so smart," it makes a compelling case AGAINST sentience as a competitive advantage. MUST READ FOR NEUROPSYCH AND SEMIOTICS/LINGUISTICS NERDS. could we ever actually get along with something intelligent that we don't -- and can't  -- understand, when we can't even get along with the intelligent life forms we slightly understand -- ourselves? it asks.

no. duh. :derp
[close]

also PLAUSIBLE AND AWESOME SPACE VAMPIRES.

Blindslight is apparently free online.
野球

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1379 on: January 04, 2012, 09:30:22 PM »
although it's by Peter Watts, not Peter Bates I believe.

I bought You Are Not So Smart, Eric P. Sounds like it will have some serious application in the workplace.
vjj