Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2084188 times)

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #5100 on: April 12, 2012, 09:22:17 PM »
Finished Justified seasons one and two. Great show, but it's no Terriers.

It requires a great deal of suspension of disbelief, but I guess this suspension can occur by reading some of the threads started by T234.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #5101 on: April 13, 2012, 03:55:10 AM »
Finished Justified seasons one and two. Great show, but it's no Terriers.

It requires a great deal of suspension of disbelief, but I guess this suspension can occur by reading some of the threads started by T234.

yeah I guess. what makes the show is the writing and how powerful Timothy Olyphant and Walton Goggins are delivering everything they say.

It's not totally perfect, but it feels to me like the most entertaining show on TV.

4 kidneys...

etiolate

« Reply #5102 on: April 13, 2012, 04:19:09 AM »
The actors for the bit parts and minor characters are pretty good as well. There's a handful of Deadwood actors that appear, too.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #5103 on: April 13, 2012, 04:49:54 AM »
The villains of the week aren't pretty good, they're fucking amazing.

Cornballer on neogaf said that Justified kills more great villains in one episode than most shows get in a whole season. The show's creator also mentioned that he had never written a villain that he didn't find likable.

I wonder whether it was Michael Ironside or one of the writers who came up with that tongue-in-cheek splinter cell reference?

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #5104 on: April 13, 2012, 10:36:52 AM »
but I guess this suspension can occur by reading some of the threads started by T234.
My grandmother grew up in Eastern Kentucky in the 1920s/1930s, I asked her about Harlan County because of the show and she said something like "Harlan? We never really went there, it's where all the criminals are."
Going through The Wire again, on Season 1. Gotta love episode 5 season 1 "The Pager". The way they handle the call exchanges at the end of the episode, what it pertains to and seeing the unmanned unit getting the numbers but not being able to capture whats being said. The tone is perfect.
That episode and the one before it are where I think the show tends to come together. People who have watched the first few episodes and dislike it, I always say to try and get through four or five before giving up. And every one gets hooked. So far anyway.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #5105 on: April 13, 2012, 05:11:27 PM »
The Pager has that scene with D'Angelo going to the fancy restaurant. One of my favorite scenes of the series

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5106 on: April 13, 2012, 08:50:32 PM »
Wow that scene with Salvidor, his wife, and Kenneth during dinner was awkward as fuck (Mad Men 2x06). That's probably what happens when Himu goes to Mupepe's to eat  :'(

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5107 on: April 13, 2012, 10:18:18 PM »
I love how totally oblivious kenny is

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #5108 on: April 13, 2012, 10:46:09 PM »
Working my way through Justified Season 2 and it is better than the first in every way.  Mostly because there's a lot more killing going on, which fits into my biased, stereotypical view of Appalachia.  It even captures the "broke down, shit strewn everywhere" motif that I see at a lot of broken down 'neck properties.
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5109 on: April 13, 2012, 10:48:03 PM »
I love how totally oblivious kenny is

I feel bad for Sal, and his wife. He seems like one of the few non-assholes on the show, at least thus far - well, outside of the whole "marrying a woman you're not in love with" thing. He turned down that one dude in S1, I bet he's gonna fall off the wagon soon

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #5110 on: April 14, 2012, 02:45:16 AM »
"You mean I had four kidneys?"

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #5111 on: April 14, 2012, 04:00:19 AM »
Working my way through Justified Season 2 and it is better than the first in every way.  Mostly because there's a lot more killing going on, which fits into my biased, stereotypical view of Appalachia.  It even captures the "broke down, shit strewn everywhere" motif that I see at a lot of broken down 'neck properties.

A random thing I can't figure is why the show seems to have more oxy addicts vs meth addicts. I would think that meth is much more common in Kentucky just because nearly anybody can synthesize it while you have to jump through legal loopholes and probably go through Florida to get oxycontin. I'm not sure but it sounds like meth would also be much more addictive.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #5112 on: April 14, 2012, 04:29:26 AM »
I got mad ninja skills, buddy.
Yeah, you know karate?
And two other Japanese words.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #5113 on: April 15, 2012, 02:08:56 PM »
Fuck 13-episode seasons up the ass.  :(

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5114 on: April 15, 2012, 02:26:56 PM »
I got mad ninja skills, buddy.
Yeah, you know karate?
And two other Japanese words.
Loved that line :lol

Rewatched the new ep of Young Justice, the tone is totally different in English from the subs I watched

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5115 on: April 15, 2012, 04:52:03 PM »
I wish we'd get a good tv show again along the likes of Carnivale. But I guess smart historical shows just aren't good for dumb americans.
USA

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5116 on: April 15, 2012, 05:08:25 PM »
Justified would be a good show if they got rid of the monster of the week bullshit. Season 2 was a little better. haven't seen season 3 except for the first episode but even that had monster of the week (but a sweet villain).
USA

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #5117 on: April 16, 2012, 10:54:45 AM »
I watched 8 episodes of Season 2 of the Walking Dead this weekend.  Starts off great.  Goes slow as hell for about 5 episodes at the farm and is now starting to get good.  I'm sorry.  I would...
spoiler (click to show/hide)
pull out my gun on the old man and tell him I'm staying on the farm and we can either be nice about it and he can stay or he can end up like his family from the barn. Fuck this Mr. Diplomacy shit
[close]

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #5118 on: April 16, 2012, 04:03:17 PM »
I watched 8 episodes of Season 2 of the Walking Dead this weekend.  Starts off great.  Goes slow as hell for about 5 episodes at the farm and is now starting to get good.  I'm sorry.  I would...
pull out my gun on the old man and tell him I'm staying on the farm and we can either be nice about it and he can stay or he can end up like his family from the barn. Fuck this Mr. Diplomacy shit
[close]

Spoilers for full season:

I get the sense that this is somewhat the direction they pointed Rick in the finale
[close]
___

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5119 on: April 16, 2012, 04:05:26 PM »
Justified would be a good show if they got rid of the monster of the week bullshit. Season 2 was a little better. haven't seen season 3 except for the first episode but even that had monster of the week (but a sweet villain).
What are you talking about? Apart from the first bit of season one they do season long arcs ???

Himu

« Reply #5120 on: April 16, 2012, 06:21:21 PM »
Anyone else watch Girls last night? I really liked it.
IYKYK

etiolate

« Reply #5121 on: April 16, 2012, 06:23:18 PM »
I'm watching girls all the time  :shh

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5122 on: April 16, 2012, 06:48:01 PM »
It was alright. Needed to be funnier, though.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5123 on: April 16, 2012, 06:52:14 PM »
What are you talking about? Apart from the first bit of season one they do season long arcs ???

yes they have long season arcs but they still have monster of the week episodes with little of the arc going on.
USA

cool breeze

« Reply #5124 on: April 16, 2012, 07:47:30 PM »
finished Lost.  I mostly liked the ending.  Season 4 was legit great, Season 5 was good in the first half, and the second half of Season 5 and Season 6 were hilariously good.

4 and most of 5 were all "because science and electromagnets," and then at a point it goes "no wait, religion."  In the end it got crazy with Jack doing a flying ground slam to kill an old man / ex-smoke monster / anti-christ or something.  and Jin kills himself trying to save Sun; it's not like they have a child out there to support. 

check this flash sideways / alternate reality  :teehee

lol nope everyone's dead and this is purgatory or something.  except everyone died at different times and co-exist in this swank version of life portraying life if we hadn't crashed and weren't all miserable.  but only some of us.  for some reason the latina cop is dirty, and the black guys aren't here, and the arab's true love isn't his wife, but this white chick he knew for like three weeks.

but I liked it because it was a final moment of dislodging the viewer and that's why I liked the series.   

and it's pretty clear the writers were asking questions they didn't know the answers to and mostly making stuff up as they went along.  Hurley goes from having an imaginary friend to I CAN SEE ALL DEAD PEOPLE! wait, so was Dave a real person who died?...HEY LOOK HUGO'S PLAYING CHESS WITH MR EKO (and we didn't have to pay the actor!)  Then there's Locke's dad being Sawyer's Sawyer and a bunch of other stuff. 

and Richard is awesome.
[close]

thoroughly enjoyed it.  had some great music too.

now to Battlestar Galactica

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #5125 on: April 16, 2012, 07:54:21 PM »
I am rewatching the last 2 seasons of Lost and have been able to enjoy it much more now that the anticipation for answers has died down. 

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5126 on: April 16, 2012, 08:20:09 PM »
Girls is ok if you are a hipster
USA

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5127 on: April 16, 2012, 09:38:52 PM »
no

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #5128 on: April 16, 2012, 10:29:27 PM »
Finished Justified Season 2 and god damn, what a good show.  The only glaring flaw to me that I didn't like was:

How the Bennett thing wrapped up a little too nicely.  Come on, a powerful multigenerational criminal family clan pretty much up and ends in a couple of weeks.
[close]

A random thing I can't figure is why the show seems to have more oxy addicts vs meth addicts. I would think that meth is much more common in Kentucky just because nearly anybody can synthesize it while you have to jump through legal loopholes and probably go through Florida to get oxycontin. I'm not sure but it sounds like meth would also be much more addictive.

Oxycontin has been the new meth for some time.  Also Oxycontin is extremely addictive.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:31:23 PM by The Experiment »
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5129 on: April 16, 2012, 11:30:30 PM »
Haha Linkzg you're making me want to troll the Lost thread on GAF again. They still believe the writers had everything planned from day one, and that the finale was great

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #5130 on: April 17, 2012, 01:46:27 AM »
I started watching season 2 of Bob's Burgers, so good.

For a show that took me a while to register with me, it's now becoming one of my favorite shows. The VA is just top notch, even surpassing Benjamin's other show, Archer.

(Fwiw: so far BB s2 > Archer s3)

Mup's recommendations :bow
Unzip

Himu

« Reply #5131 on: April 17, 2012, 01:50:26 AM »
no way is bob's burgers better than archer
IYKYK

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #5132 on: April 17, 2012, 01:59:01 AM »
Season 3 was kinda ho-hum, sorry. I'm not sure if the writing took a step backwards or the usual character antics and dynamics are starting to feel stale.
Unzip

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #5133 on: April 17, 2012, 07:48:09 AM »
girls was fucking horrible
Tonya

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #5134 on: April 17, 2012, 10:36:48 AM »
I agree with Linkzg's assessment of Lost for the most part.  A fun enjoyable show with some fantastic moments.

Himumumu, Bob's Burgers is definitely amazing.  It's kind of hard to compare to Archer because the humor is different but I can definitely say I enjoy Bob's Burgers as much as Archer (I haven't seen season 3 of Archer) if not more.  I really wish more people would give it a chance.  It's one of the funniest shows I've seen on network tv in a long time.  So damn charming.

I have one more episode of The Walking Dead.  Shit has really picked up pace and Rick is starting to grow some balls.  Now if only
Andrea would fucking die.  it should have been her, not Dale.  She is easily one of the most aggravating characters ever.  And what's even worse is I don't remember her being nearly as grating in Season 1
[close]

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #5135 on: April 17, 2012, 11:07:48 AM »
Enjoy Lost, I loved watching it as it happened, enjoyed just as much how many trolls it attracted.

Well produced, memorable characters, ambition (maybe not fully realized) that few shows try for.

I've completely avoided Bob's Burgers as I do most of Fox's whatevertheycalltheirsundaylineupiforget, but saw one clip with Kristen Schaal voicing (don't know if she's a regular character) that seemed nice.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 11:09:53 AM by Mamacint »
___

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #5136 on: April 17, 2012, 11:25:06 AM »
She's in every episode.  She's hilarious.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5137 on: April 17, 2012, 12:00:39 PM »
kristen schaal is prob the best voice actor ever. shes a great actor also like in flight of the concchords but it's amazing how well done her character is in bobs burgers

also girls was fantastic sorry you didn't "get" it.
USA

« Reply #5138 on: April 17, 2012, 12:18:32 PM »
Girls is ok if you are a hipster

Then I'm a hipster. Girls was great.
野球

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5139 on: April 17, 2012, 12:23:03 PM »
kristen schaal is prob the best voice actor ever. shes a great actor also like in flight of the concchords but it's amazing how well done her character is in bobs burgers

Actually Ashleigh Ball  is the best voice actor ever

Anyway Kristen Schaal is so weirdly attractive. I think it's because she looks like she'd be insane in bed

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5140 on: April 17, 2012, 12:35:32 PM »
I didn't know it was even possible to be creepier than your first sentence but you managed to achieve it PD with the next one.
USA

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5141 on: April 17, 2012, 12:44:48 PM »
Maybe you wouldn't be a leper if you had learned basic life principles from something like MLP

:bow

etiolate

« Reply #5142 on: April 17, 2012, 12:49:14 PM »

Actually Ashleigh Ball  is the best voice actor ever

Anyway Kristen Schaal is so weirdly attractive. I think it's because she looks like she'd be insane in bed

:heartbeat :heartbeat

I have weirdboners for her and Maggie Gylenhaaaaaaaaaaaaaal
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 12:51:02 PM by etiolate »

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5143 on: April 17, 2012, 12:58:33 PM »
oh for some reason I read that as that girl from Veronica Mars not Kristen Schaal. Kristen Schaal is weirdly attractive UGUU~

and ya her maggie gylenhall and the girl from robocop 1 are all oddly smangable.
USA

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5144 on: April 17, 2012, 01:48:44 PM »
oh for some reason I read that as that girl from Veronica Mars not Kristen Schaal. Kristen Schaal is weirdly attractive UGUU~

What's wrong with Kristen Bell? She's cute.
©@©™

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5145 on: April 17, 2012, 02:01:13 PM »
isnt she like 13
USA

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5146 on: April 17, 2012, 02:04:30 PM »
The wife and I have been watching Bobs Burgers since the first episode, it's quality entertainment
I stopped after season one I think it was? Like 9 or 10 eps in

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5147 on: April 17, 2012, 02:32:55 PM »
isnt she like 13
26 or 27 actually. see her in House of Lies.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5148 on: April 17, 2012, 02:34:45 PM »
USA

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5149 on: April 17, 2012, 03:05:37 PM »
isnt she like 13

lol no, she's 30-something. She was already like 25 in Veronica Mars.
©@©™

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5150 on: April 17, 2012, 06:10:14 PM »
channel 4 has this series called The Undateables. it's ridiculous but it can be heartwarming at times.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-undateables/4od#3309183

also Ricky gervais new show Derek is pretty good too :bow
USA

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #5151 on: April 18, 2012, 01:10:48 AM »
Season finale of Raising Hope suckedddddddddd

i don't know how i watched the entire first season of that show
AMC

etiolate

« Reply #5152 on: April 18, 2012, 01:27:07 AM »
Season finale of Raising Hope suckedddddddddd

yeah the whole premise of the finale was a mess

The rest of the season was mighty good though. The Sabrina/Jimmy climax was the high point, and I even enjoyed the zany prison wedding scene from last episode, but what the fuck was the point of the whole Lucy plot?

« Reply #5153 on: April 18, 2012, 01:29:48 AM »
Did not care for the latest ep of Adventure Time - bottom of the pile for me.  Really liked the one previous tho.
ǚ

lordmaji

• It's a joke, not a dick, so don't take it so hard!
« Reply #5154 on: April 18, 2012, 04:13:39 PM »
I've been digging the hell out of Game of Thrones. I just started watching Volume 1 of the Animaniacs. :P
:-[

etiolate

« Reply #5155 on: April 18, 2012, 04:16:53 PM »
For some reason, I imagine maji had a third sentence in that post involving strange thoughts about Dot Warner.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #5156 on: April 18, 2012, 08:25:49 PM »
How is Game of Thrones Season 1?

Also, I take back what I said about Trailer Park Boys.  It seems to really hit its stride a couple of seasons in.  Good show.
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5157 on: April 18, 2012, 08:29:51 PM »
GoT S1 starts out slow and suffers from some average cinematography early; the directors and DPs decided to shoot it like a regular television show for some reason. But the second half picks up significantly, and the last couple eps are especially impressive.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #5158 on: April 18, 2012, 08:31:33 PM »
How is Game of Thrones Season 1?

Also, I take back what I said about Trailer Park Boys.  It seems to really hit its stride a couple of seasons in.  Good show.

HAND-MADE HOT DOGS
pcp

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #5159 on: April 19, 2012, 03:37:48 AM »
GoT S1 starts out slow and suffers from some average cinematography early; the directors and DPs decided to shoot it like a regular television show for some reason. But the second half picks up significantly, and the last couple eps are especially impressive.

Is this seriously the way you would introduce GoT to someone? Most people watch the first episode and then become addicted like a crack whore.

It's not the best episode, but it's still incredibly good compared to any other pilots.