Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2084336 times)

Kshow

Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #9180 on: May 28, 2014, 11:31:10 PM »
Louie fat gal ep was cringy as fuck!

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #9181 on: May 29, 2014, 03:20:00 AM »
I had a feeling this week's episode of Fargo would end before I wanted to stop watching, and I was right. Wow. That episode was genuinely funny in a few parts. I don't want it to be over but there's only three episodes left now :'( damnit all to hell
SRY

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #9182 on: May 29, 2014, 08:54:34 AM »
I've always been mixed on the show. I think the highs are sometimes very high, but the lows are a sort of a meandering artsiness that I feel Woody Allen pretty much explored in a better manner decades ago.

I kind of agree. I sort of kick myself when I think this way since I'm a huge CK fan and hope I'm not just thinking "need moar jokes", but have to be honest.

I don't even think it's a question of better/worse than past work like Allen's, it's just that those worked as sort of a fresh, freestyle take on the medium, warts and all. It's harder to be as forgiving on something that's an iteration on that. The whimsy sort of falls flat.

Still one of my favorite shows though, don't get me wrong.
___

Himu

« Reply #9183 on: May 29, 2014, 09:20:53 AM »
I've found most of the season meandering so far. The random exploits of episode 1 is not the style of Louie I like, for instance. "Need moar jokes" is a perfect summation and why season 1 is the weakest season. Why Louie made a return to season 1 style writing i don't know but it feels like a regression. Episode 2 is better but again, random and meandering without much meaning. I haven't watched the others because my dvr is distinguished mentally-challenged and won't record BOTH episodes and I'm not even sure why the fuck they're airing two eps a week anyways. Just odd as fuck.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 09:24:37 AM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #9184 on: May 29, 2014, 11:17:48 AM »
I've found this season less meandering from the large scale. This has actually been my favorite season maybe depending on how it finishes up. This season has felt less like a traditional sitcom and more like a movie. Which is kind of what I thought the show has always been aspiring to be but never quite making it. This season feels the closest to that goal imo.

In prior seasons I found myself fast forwarding through certain scenes to get to the next bit. I find I haven't done that much this season because the dots actually connect.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #9185 on: May 29, 2014, 11:20:32 AM »
Review is actually better than I expected. It's pretty funny.

Yeah man it's good shit. Gets better and better as it goes.
zzzzz

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #9186 on: May 29, 2014, 11:28:16 AM »
It's exciting seeing Louie experiment and have fun as a filmmaker. Sometimes it's excessive (like that scene in the Dad episode last year where he runs away/gets on a boat/etc) but usually it works. Honestly I think the show is better when it's not "moar jokes." I love that stuff, for instance the episode last season with forced oral lmao, but I prefer the more poignant stuff. The bully ep comes to mind, or even the Halloween episode where those guys are stalking Louie and his kids. And of course the Miami episode.

Kshow

« Reply #9187 on: May 29, 2014, 12:52:42 PM »
I will say though. Louie is a show that has me LOL'in.. And that's shits rare. So I jus accept it.  Also, he's jus a regular guy, gives ya hope anyone can make it. I say that, and as i think of it. He is a comedy genius. SO not regular. Disregard what was jus said.. haha   Jus started the first season of lou. Figured i'd get some laughs goin. 10 Minutes into fargo. MArtin freeman is goooood. Love him in the office.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 12:55:26 PM by Kshow »

ZephyrFate

« Reply #9188 on: May 29, 2014, 01:31:58 PM »
Louie is best when it's a drama, honestly. I like its jokes, but the humor really comes from the awkward surrealism of his world. The best scenes have been dramatic (see the scene I keep bringing up, the end of Daddy's Girlfriend Part 2, or the fat girl rant recently), and show that Louis C.K. is really good at analyzing the world and offering his own ideas of what it means.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #9189 on: May 29, 2014, 01:59:00 PM »
Louie is best when it's a drama, honestly. I like its jokes, but the humor really comes from the awkward surrealism of his world. The best scenes have been dramatic (see the scene I keep bringing up, the end of Daddy's Girlfriend Part 2, or the fat girl rant recently), and show that Louis C.K. is really good at analyzing the world and offering his own ideas of what it means.

That's probably my favorite Louie scene. It sucks they don't release soundtracks because the jazz song that plays during that scene is amazing. Really ethereal, 70s jazz vibe.

PlayDat

« Reply #9190 on: May 29, 2014, 07:08:49 PM »
Just started watching The Shield for the first time.  The entire series is up on Amazon for prime members so I'll try to get through as much as possible over the summer.

Show seems just a bit above average at only three episodes in but the way people talk the series up I'm expecting greatness.

:snoop at these black dudes fighting over some fat white woman in the pilot though.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #9191 on: May 31, 2014, 02:30:25 AM »
Pam's return to Louie
:rejoice

I'd take her over the Hungarian chick, come on.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #9192 on: May 31, 2014, 11:18:29 AM »
The only downer is that she looks like a smoker :fbm

I'd make an exception brehs.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #9193 on: May 31, 2014, 11:13:36 PM »
Watch the first episode of Fargo. I liked it. I was surprised that it was able to maintain the dark comedy tone of the film.

That being said, I have no idea how you stretch this thing out into lots more episodes of a series.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #9194 on: May 31, 2014, 11:53:00 PM »
HOLY SHIT @ ORPHAN BLACK

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #9195 on: June 01, 2014, 02:23:29 AM »
Watch the first episode of Fargo. I liked it. I was surprised that it was able to maintain the dark comedy tone of the film.

That being said, I have no idea how you stretch this thing out into lots more episodes of a series.

i've watched 6 eps and they've done it really, really well
AMC

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #9196 on: June 01, 2014, 12:15:48 PM »

i've watched 6 eps and they've done it really, really well
This is the only cosign I need. I'll watch it tonight.

Kshow

« Reply #9197 on: June 01, 2014, 12:27:35 PM »
I watched Fargo the movie couple weeks back. I asked the same question about how a show could work. Damn if it does! Jus killed deadwood for the second viewing. First season of battlestar down. NEed to finsh orange is new black too. NEw seasons comin on in week or so.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #9198 on: June 01, 2014, 12:29:48 PM »
I think I like Fargo as my show of 2014 more than True Detective so far. It's really, really good.
zzzzz

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #9199 on: June 02, 2014, 01:00:09 AM »
Good Silicon Valley Season finale tonight. The whole scene in the hotel room was hilarious. Only thing I didn't like was
spoiler (click to show/hide)
the only woman on the show becoming a romantic interest out of nowhere.
[close]

Otherwise, very solid season.
zzzzz

Tasty

« Reply #9200 on: June 02, 2014, 01:02:22 AM »
I mean they've been hinting at it but yeah, kinda lame. I thought last episode was funnier, honestly. The sentimental music during the dick joke whiteboarding killed it for me.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #9201 on: June 02, 2014, 01:34:41 AM »
I thought it worked. The juxtaposition of the music and Richard's epiphany with the highly detailed discussion of masturbating an audience of men was pretty hilarious.

Just finished Veep. Also pretty solid tonight, but not quite as good as the last killer episode.
zzzzz

ZephyrFate

« Reply #9202 on: June 02, 2014, 01:56:04 AM »
FINGERING THE DYKE

ZephyrFate

« Reply #9203 on: June 02, 2014, 03:07:53 AM »
im gonna try and soldier through homeland s3. is it worth it brehs? I heard the show plays a clever long con over the course of the season re: plot but i dont know, im on ep4 and it's real boring & repetitive & I don't care about Dana's plot.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #9204 on: June 02, 2014, 07:47:47 AM »
im gonna try and soldier through homeland s3. is it worth it brehs? I heard the show plays a clever long con over the course of the season re: plot but i dont know, im on ep4 and it's real boring & repetitive & I don't care about Dana's plot.

You finished episode 4 and thought it was boring and repetitive? That's the one that really made me go "ok, Homeland is back."

S3 was very good, and at times better than the first season. I think a lot of it has to do with there being more focus on Saul as well as Carrie. A couple interesting new characters are introduced, and the final few episodes are great.

This season definitely offers some resolution, whereas S2 just left a bad taste in my mouth.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #9205 on: June 02, 2014, 11:40:09 AM »
Forgot how much I loved watching Burn Notice. Not a great show by any means, but man when I just want some hard and fast TV action it hits the spot :rejoice

Forgot what season I was on though :shaq2

Man, I'm in exactly the same boat. I can't remember if I stopped on s4 or s3, and don't know which DVD to rent at the vidya store.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #9206 on: June 02, 2014, 04:26:12 PM »

You finished episode 4 and thought it was boring and repetitive? That's the one that really made me go "ok, Homeland is back."

S3 was very good, and at times better than the first season. I think a lot of it has to do with there being more focus on Saul as well as Carrie. A couple interesting new characters are introduced, and the final few episodes are great.

This season definitely offers some resolution, whereas S2 just left a bad taste in my mouth.
I'm on ep6. It's getting a little better. I like that they're even trying to humanize the Iranian antagonists instead of the bullshit they pulled with the guy who tortured Brody in S2.

Beezy

« Reply #9207 on: June 02, 2014, 11:53:56 PM »
Tonight's 2nd episode of Louie was great. :lol

ZephyrFate

« Reply #9208 on: June 03, 2014, 03:12:51 PM »
More like EXTREMELY uncomfortable

Beezy

« Reply #9209 on: June 03, 2014, 03:21:14 PM »
That's when Louie is at its best.

Dickie Dee

« Reply #9210 on: June 03, 2014, 03:37:37 PM »
Forgot how much I loved watching Burn Notice. Not a great show by any means, but man when I just want some hard and fast TV action it hits the spot :rejoice

Forgot what season I was on though :shaq2

Great easy, breezy show (I totally forget what season I was on as well)

___

etiolate

« Reply #9211 on: June 03, 2014, 04:15:20 PM »
I checked out Penny Dreadful and that Halt and Catch Fire show.

Penny Dreadful is sometimes awesome, sometimes.. dreadful. Frankenstein is easily the best part of the show so far. Unfortunately,
they kill off Proteus in the second episode and thus kill the best part of the show so far.
[close]
Eva Green is good as Miss Ives, but everything else is a mix of good and bad. Except Billie Piper, who is always bad. There's lots of gore, lots of nudity and lots of homo-eroticism.

Halt and Catch Fire is pretty intense for a show about making computers. Need to see more episodes to see where it goes.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #9212 on: June 03, 2014, 04:36:40 PM »
Penny Dreadful is pretty wtf awesome.  It's like they saw American Horror Story and decided to just make a show like the second half of the first season, fuck any pretense of subtlety. 
vin

ZephyrFate

« Reply #9213 on: June 03, 2014, 05:29:00 PM »
Anyone catch Halt and Catch Fire? Interesting '80s Mad Men-kinda copy with a weaker script. Lee Pace, however, is always awesome & his eyebrows deserve academy awards.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #9214 on: June 03, 2014, 05:39:00 PM »
Penny Dreadful is pretty wtf awesome.  It's like they saw American Horror Story and decided to just make a show like the second half of the first season, fuck any pretense of subtlety.

Terrible and over the top?  :-\

I really enjoyed the first episode of AHS and it was downhill from there, BUT really got bad after the halfway point.

Yulwei

« Reply #9215 on: June 03, 2014, 06:09:02 PM »
I am probably late as fuck to this but you guys, Rectify is AMAZING

only 6 episodes for season 1 and season 2 starts in just 2 weeks or so. everyone should give this a shot! you'll be hooked from episode 1

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #9216 on: June 03, 2014, 06:26:04 PM »

Terrible and over the top?  :-\

I really enjoyed the first episode of AHS and it was downhill from there, BUT really got bad after the halfway point.
Awesome and over the top :aah
vin

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #9217 on: June 03, 2014, 06:26:50 PM »
Well it did introduce me to that redhead maid, so I can't completely shit on it.
:lawd

Freyj

« Reply #9218 on: June 03, 2014, 08:04:09 PM »
I am probably late as fuck to this but you guys, Rectify is AMAZING

only 6 episodes for season 1 and season 2 starts in just 2 weeks or so. everyone should give this a shot! you'll be hooked from episode 1

Because I know you. Because I know you. Because I know you.

:fbm

ZephyrFate

« Reply #9219 on: June 03, 2014, 08:32:35 PM »
Wait, Halt and Catch Fire is not an authoritarian dystopia in the vein of Fahrenheit 451?

Fucking waste of a title.

"Halt and Catch Fire, known by the mnemonic HCF, refers to several computer machine code instructions that cause a computer's CPU to cease meaningful operation. The expression "catch fire" is intended as a joke; the CPU does not literally catch fire, but it does stop functioning. It is also occasionally referred to as "SDI" for "Self Destruct Immediate"."

So... it's kind of perfect considering it takes place in the early days of computers.

Edit: It's also got two producers from Rectify, as well.

Beezy

« Reply #9220 on: June 03, 2014, 09:06:00 PM »
Anyone catch Halt and Catch Fire? Interesting '80s Mad Men-kinda copy with a weaker script. Lee Pace, however, is always awesome & his eyebrows deserve academy awards.
I watched it since my friends wanted to. Fun first episode. Not sure how I feel about the lead guy yet, but I couldn't stop staring at his eyebrows.

Dickie Dee

« Reply #9221 on: June 03, 2014, 10:02:07 PM »
Silicon Valley finale was amazing. The dick equation scene might be one of the greatest things I've ever watched.
___

ZephyrFate

« Reply #9222 on: June 03, 2014, 10:09:31 PM »
I watched it since my friends wanted to. Fun first episode. Not sure how I feel about the lead guy yet, but I couldn't stop staring at his eyebrows.
Lee Pace is awesome. check him out in Tarsem Singh's The Fall and as a trans woman in Soldier's Girl.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #9223 on: June 03, 2014, 11:52:19 PM »
Finished Homeland S3. Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy plotting all around. Some nice moments.

Brody dying was a good move. Should've happened S1, though. Why does Carrie continue to have a job? The baby drama was a shitty thing to shovel into the finale. Nothing was really added to the Carrie character for an entire fucking season. Yawn.
[close]

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #9224 on: June 04, 2014, 12:07:21 AM »
Finally caught up to the new Louie eps this week and shit was hilarious. Lots of laugh-out-loud moments especially in the second one. Fun fun stuff.

Fargo in an hour :mouf
SRY

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #9225 on: June 04, 2014, 01:34:05 AM »
Fargo in an hour :mouf

Just finished Fargo! Super good as per usual.

Molly and Gus! :heart :heart :heart :heart Fuck yeah.
Lester  >:( >:( >:( >:(

Lester is the same as Malvo. They couldn't have made that point more clear in this episode.
[close]

zzzzz

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #9226 on: June 04, 2014, 01:46:21 AM »
Oh, also, Malvo dropping a Kill Bill reference? ???
zzzzz

Kshow

« Reply #9227 on: June 04, 2014, 01:21:31 PM »
Fargo keeps on deliverin the goods. dunno where its goin, an I love it!   Loved when she when presenting her case, only to have the guys talkin bout cake. I was crackin up!

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #9228 on: June 04, 2014, 01:39:50 PM »
I wonder if the scene with the Sudanese Lost Boy and talk about how "things just work out" is foreshadowing to the show's conclusion. Things kinda just "worked out" in the Fargo movie; Margie just kinda stumbled upon the lost car at the right time (or I guess wrong time).
zzzzz

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #9229 on: June 04, 2014, 02:43:39 PM »
hilariously I missed Fargo last night but just caught it this morning. awesome, awesome episode. SPOILERS
I was really shocked when the "One Year Later" thing came up, but pleasantly surprised about how they handled it.
[close]

re: Bob, what scene are you saying the Kill Bill reference is in? The bear trap story? I feel like that's a pretty commonly used allegory
SRY

Yulwei

« Reply #9230 on: June 04, 2014, 02:51:06 PM »
Finished True Detective. It was pretty good

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #9231 on: June 04, 2014, 03:24:34 PM »
hilariously I missed Fargo last night but just caught it this morning. awesome, awesome episode. SPOILERS
I was really shocked when the "One Year Later" thing came up, but pleasantly surprised about how they handled it.
[close]

re: Bob, what scene are you saying the Kill Bill reference is in? The bear trap story? I feel like that's a pretty commonly used allegory

No no. Malvo said "if you still feel raw about it when you heal up, come and find me" which is extremely similar to what Beatrix said to the little girl at the start of Vol1
zzzzz

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #9232 on: June 04, 2014, 06:02:06 PM »
oooooh ok. didn't catch that one
SRY

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #9233 on: June 06, 2014, 03:38:25 PM »
Two eps into Orange is the New Black season 2.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeh.

The first episode was pretty good, but the second one was a real fucking snoozer. Is this how this season is going to be? I appreciate they established all these characters last season that they don't want to give up, but without a central character like Piper the show just kinda bounces from boring side character to boring side character.
zzzzz

Tasty

« Reply #9234 on: June 06, 2014, 03:53:31 PM »
Haven't started yet but I'm really hoping we get to see some more of bitch-Piper. The trailer made me hopeful. Really want a bunch of people to need her for something and then her to tell them all to fuck off, or backstab them.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #9235 on: June 06, 2014, 05:56:15 PM »
Two eps into Orange is the New Black season 2.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeh.

The first episode was pretty good, but the second one was a real fucking snoozer. Is this how this season is going to be? I appreciate they established all these characters last season that they don't want to give up, but without a central character like Piper the show just kinda bounces from boring side character to boring side character.

??? havent watched it yet but piper was hands-down the worst aspect of the first season. very, very glad they shifted the focus away from her.
pcp

ZephyrFate

« Reply #9236 on: June 06, 2014, 07:11:40 PM »
I liked the trans episode of the first season. I got really bored when the rest of the season wasn't about her and instead about Who Gives A Fuck Piper.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #9237 on: June 06, 2014, 07:53:43 PM »
It's not that I want more Piper. I just don't like that it feels like two separate shows now. I hope they don't continue alternating between new cast episodes and old cast episodes.
zzzzz

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #9238 on: June 06, 2014, 11:49:16 PM »
Just about to start it , will probably cat ass it

Tasty

« Reply #9239 on: June 07, 2014, 07:40:38 PM »
On episode 4, bitch Piper is out in full fucking force :rejoice