Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2084186 times)

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #10440 on: December 24, 2014, 11:07:34 AM »
Newest season of The Heart, She Holler is really just going for it.  I can't tell if the end game is to see how much they can get away with or what but it seems to be pushing every boundary of television content.  The show's characters are gleefully racist, sexist, misogynist, profane, scatological, and while there is a lot of good joke construction in the show, I don't know if it's really for me anymore.
Tonya

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #10441 on: December 29, 2014, 04:43:38 PM »
I just finished watching NBC's Peter Pan Live! starring Allison Williams as Peter Pan and Christopher Walken as Hook. had a lot of fun, Williams is so adorable and really kicks ass on her songs, and the production is great. I'm always stoked when I see cast members from Girls succeed in other projects.
SRY

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #10442 on: December 29, 2014, 04:46:26 PM »
The Wrong Mans holiday special is a good follow up to the first series.  It's on Hulu now, so give it a look if you liked the original
Tonya

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #10443 on: December 29, 2014, 11:18:12 PM »
Holy shit. Boardwalk Empire season 4 finale...

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Richard harrow dying. Oh man.
[close]

These fucking feels :(

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #10444 on: January 01, 2015, 07:03:33 PM »
I finally got around to watching 30 Rock.  The first two seasons kicked ass and the third season completely fell apart.  Does the show get any better in future seasons or is it as good as it is going to get?
🍆🍆

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #10445 on: January 01, 2015, 07:04:28 PM »
🍆🍆

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #10446 on: January 01, 2015, 08:32:43 PM »
I finally got around to watching 30 Rock.  The first two seasons kicked ass and the third season completely fell apart.  Does the show get any better in future seasons or is it as good as it is going to get?
it doesn't get better but it doesn't really get much worse either. 
Tonya

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #10447 on: January 01, 2015, 10:37:44 PM »
GOD DAMMIT ESCH KEEPS MAKING US WATCH FRIENDS SOMEBODY SEND HELP
pcp

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #10448 on: January 01, 2015, 11:08:05 PM »
Esch wanting to watch Friends? Has he been replaced by a pod person?
WDW

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #10449 on: January 01, 2015, 11:12:17 PM »
30 Rock stays at about season 3 level until its finish. I enjoyed all of it, but you’re right that s1~2 are its best.

I went back to Crossbones, watched a few more episodes and am enjoying it a little more. Malkovich and Richard Coyle are fun to watch, but everyone else, Julian Sands included, are chewing the scenery so hard that the plywood is exposed. Anyway, it’s fun while I’m doing housework.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #10450 on: January 01, 2015, 11:37:47 PM »

As good as it gets. I stopped watching it for bits and caught up later and while I think it does lose something as it goes on, its still a decent to good lazy watch. There are enough funny bits to justify itself. It just never becomes as great a sitcom as it had the potential to be. 

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #10451 on: January 02, 2015, 01:01:57 AM »
White Collar ended.  The last season was only six episodes long.  Enjoyed the show a lot and there no bad seasons or weird changes in tone, unlike Burn Notice.  The ending was predictable, but satisfying.
That last season needed to be 13, the Pink Panthers never seemed serious and the dudes other than Keller were like they didn't exist until the last episode. (And the episode with the con on the girl would have been better as like three episodes.)

And the real issue with the show is it took until the season before for the show to create a good big bad. I always enjoyed the capers of the week, but season five with the arc and the delicious twist that did actually surprise me as I assumed it was a Sara Ellis situation took it up a level.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also didn't like that Neal seemingly left Mozzie in the dark.
[close]

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #10452 on: January 02, 2015, 10:05:06 PM »
Starting to watch Twin Peaks and I don't know why.
dur

ZephyrFate

« Reply #10453 on: January 02, 2015, 11:17:53 PM »
It's real good and has a crazy finale.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #10454 on: January 03, 2015, 12:42:39 PM »
Danger 5 S2 airs tonight.

Himu

« Reply #10455 on: January 03, 2015, 06:41:56 PM »
Watching twin peaks for the first time. I'm a huge fan of lynch's film work so this is new ground for me.

This show...is so weird.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #10456 on: January 03, 2015, 06:52:16 PM »
This is by far the weirdest thing I've seen from lynch. Usually lynch wraps weirdness as seriousness. Like the famous scene in blue velvet where...you know what, and the mask part happens. It's weird, but it's so creepy, and is treated so seriously it becomes horrifying. Other lynch films are similar.

But twin peaks wraps its seriousness in weirdness. Everything is weird, but everyone acts like it's just business as usual.

I knew that Deadly Premonition was inspired by twin peaks but i figured it took some liberties and the more odd elements were just good ol japanese weirdness. Instead, they're tributes to what have already happened in twin peaks. I'd actually say twin peaks is MORE weird than DP. Just insane.

It's okay. So far its main attraction is WHO KILLED LAURA and HELLO THIS SHOW IS WEIIIIRD. I'm not sure I like it for that reason. The characters are weird but not interesting enough to care about them.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 07:19:46 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #10457 on: January 03, 2015, 07:39:32 PM »
Starting to watch Twin Peaks and I don't know why.

So you can be ready for the new series coming this year?

I’m about to start a re-watch for exactly the same reasons.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10458 on: January 03, 2015, 07:42:56 PM »
This is by far the weirdest thing I've seen from lynch. Usually lynch wraps weirdness as seriousness. Like the famous scene in blue velvet where...you know what, and the mask part happens. It's weird, but it's so creepy, and is treated so seriously it becomes horrifying. Other lynch films are similar.

But twin peaks wraps its seriousness in weirdness. Everything is weird, but everyone acts like it's just business as usual.

I knew that Deadly Premonition was inspired by twin peaks but i figured it took some liberties and the more odd elements were just good ol japanese weirdness. Instead, they're tributes to what have already happened in twin peaks. I'd actually say twin peaks is MORE weird than DP. Just insane.

It's okay. So far its main attraction is WHO KILLED LAURA and HELLO THIS SHOW IS WEIIIIRD. I'm not sure I like it for that reason. The characters are weird but not interesting enough to care about them.

It gets weirder. Prepare to slow down/have a real slog through most of the second season though.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #10459 on: January 03, 2015, 07:51:50 PM »
haha playing deadly premonition before setting twin peaks would be a trip. twin peaks is definitely weirder, tho dp is no slouch at all
pcp

Himu

« Reply #10460 on: January 04, 2015, 12:37:31 AM »
I...don't like Twin Peaks. The only reason I'm continuing watching it is because I started and I might as well just finish it, even if I find it incredibly boring. The only interesting thing or positive I can give it is the incredible pilot.

Damn good coffee. How does that make for good storytelling or writing? I think the show is very stupid. I don't think I'm going to watch season 2.
IYKYK

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #10461 on: January 04, 2015, 12:41:38 AM »
Deadly Premonition for me is way better than Twin Peaks. Lynch's best work will always be Mulholland Drive.
OH!

Himu

« Reply #10462 on: January 04, 2015, 12:45:20 AM »
:bow Agree with everything in that post.

Mulholland Drive :bow :bow :bow

I cannot believe Twin Peaks was made David Lynch. Twin Peaks sucks and is decidely boring. Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, Elephant Man, Mulholland Drive...these films are all different shades of experimentation, but boring they are not. Watching Twin Peaks just makes me want to play Deadly Premonition.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #10463 on: January 04, 2015, 12:47:02 AM »
Mulholland Drive was absolutely fantastic, but it's my only exposure to Lynch.

Want to give Twin Peaks a whirl because of the revival too lol.

Himu

« Reply #10464 on: January 04, 2015, 12:49:09 AM »
Watch all of his filmography pre-Mulholland. :heartbeat
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #10465 on: January 04, 2015, 12:50:50 AM »
It's all on my list, haha.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #10466 on: January 04, 2015, 12:59:47 AM »
I actually feel the exact same way regarding Twin Peaks, the pilot is excellent, but it goes downhill entertainment wise really quickly. Twin Peak's pilot causes really raw feelings and emotions, mostly from the performances themselves and the stellar use of music. The mystery itself isn't what's important, its the people affected by a personal tragedy that drives that episode. I don't care enough about the mystery itself. Twin Peaks is a heavy commitment, would've worked better as a movie.

Mulholland Drive is entertaining the entire time, scene after scene. Different emotions and feelings are felt all the time. Fear, sadness, anxiety, happiness, anger, wonderment. The constant tonal shifts along with the movie being mysterious, rather than being a movie about a mystery, is why Mulholland Drive works so well. It even works as a party movie, people can discuss all the weird shit and try to figure out different meanings behind all that stuff.

Deadly Premonition starts out goofy, and while the humor benefits from that surreal goofiness, every player is thinking "where will this actually end up?". Deadly Premonition starts as a weird, roughly made game and then ends as something that is really endearing and emotional. DP's ending is one of the strongest endings to anything I've played, read, or watched. The pay off for sticking with the game is unmatched.
OH!

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #10467 on: January 04, 2015, 01:03:00 AM »
I highly enjoyed the entire first season of Twin Peaks. 2nd season is where it goes to shit.
yar

Himu

« Reply #10468 on: January 04, 2015, 01:03:09 AM »

What is the appeal of this?
IYKYK

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10469 on: January 04, 2015, 01:03:12 AM »
Twin Peaks was made for the tumblr generation. It excels in gifs and subtitled screen captures.

Himu

« Reply #10470 on: January 04, 2015, 01:09:44 AM »
This show is terrible. I can't finish this. I tried, but every scene has me rolling my eyes. I only managed to make it to episode 4. I'm going to spoil myself and read the wikipedia entry. We truly are in a tv golden age where we don't have to suffer through shows of this quality.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #10471 on: January 04, 2015, 01:27:24 AM »
Himu is sounding like me lol.

Twin Peaks...I understand it's essentially a parody of soap operas but the cheese factor is so high. The thing that makes the show work to a degree is the atmosphere. It gives me a nostalgic feel of late windy nights, lights in windows, leaves blowing, footsteps in the dark, etc. The characters are also interesting. There are multiple quirky, minor arcs - some work, some don't.

I re-watched S1 a few months ago and enjoyed it a lot more than I did originally. But I still haven't willed myself to start S2. The first time I tried Twin Peaks I got to the first ep of S2 and quit. It was so bad I just didn't feel like watching the show anymore. I thought I'd watch it again during Christmas or New Years break but nah...couldn't do it. I'll give it a try next weekend I guess.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #10472 on: January 04, 2015, 06:39:38 AM »
I...don't like Twin Peaks. The only reason I'm continuing watching it is because I started and I might as well just finish it, even if I find it incredibly boring. The only interesting thing or positive I can give it is the incredible pilot.

Damn good coffee. How does that make for good storytelling or writing? I think the show is very stupid. I don't think I'm going to watch season 2.
I actually feel the exact same way regarding Twin Peaks, the pilot is excellent, but it goes downhill entertainment wise really quickly. Twin Peak's pilot causes really raw feelings and emotions, mostly from the performances themselves and the stellar use of music. The mystery itself isn't what's important, its the people affected by a personal tragedy that drives that episode. I don't care enough about the mystery itself. Twin Peaks is a heavy commitment, would've worked better as a movie.

Mulholland Drive is entertaining the entire time, scene after scene. Different emotions and feelings are felt all the time. Fear, sadness, anxiety, happiness, anger, wonderment. The constant tonal shifts along with the movie being mysterious, rather than being a movie about a mystery, is why Mulholland Drive works so well. It even works as a party movie, people can discuss all the weird shit and try to figure out different meanings behind all that stuff.

Deadly Premonition starts out goofy, and while the humor benefits from that surreal goofiness, every player is thinking "where will this actually end up?". Deadly Premonition starts as a weird, roughly made game and then ends as something that is really endearing and emotional. DP's ending is one of the strongest endings to anything I've played, read, or watched. The pay off for sticking with the game is unmatched.

Twin Peaks is one of those things which is hard to take out of context, or to understand outside the early ‘90s zeitgeist. It was bizarre when there was really nothing else bizarre going on. It was unsettling despite the cheese, though other TV shows were striving for unsettling and only managed cheesy.

Deadly Premonition, I only got a couple hours into, and need to go back to it. I like Swery’s sensibility, and his straight-up co-opting of Lynch’s environment is inspirational in its kleptophilial glee. But there wouldn’t be a DP if there hadn’t been a Twin Peaks; try to see what Swery saw in it.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10473 on: January 04, 2015, 08:52:20 AM »
It'll be interesting to see how the new Twin Peaks season is received since it won't be a product of 90s cheese/sensibilities. It'll have to stand on its own and I don't think the writers will be able to achieve that.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #10474 on: January 04, 2015, 04:31:18 PM »
I took Twin Peaks as a super serious show that wasn't in on joke of how incredibly dumb and over the top it was. Like, Lynch is purposely making everything dumb and over the top but never actually acknowledging it. You have to appreciate that level of commitment I guess.

but I never finished Season 2.
nat

Himu

« Reply #10475 on: January 04, 2015, 04:39:46 PM »
I took it as the same. Is this supposed to be comedy? Or did they actually treat the show as a serious show? The first episode is fairly grounded, and quite serious. After that it turns into something else and the lines between serious show and parody are blurred.

Like I remember white man/tvc saying once that twin peaks has the best writing in a tv show. Different strokes, though.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 04:46:38 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10476 on: January 04, 2015, 05:02:05 PM »
The secret is in creamed corn. Maybe.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #10477 on: January 04, 2015, 05:29:22 PM »
I took Twin Peaks as a super serious show that wasn't in on joke of how incredibly dumb and over the top it was. Like, Lynch is purposely making everything dumb and over the top but never actually acknowledging it. You have to appreciate that level of commitment I guess.

but I never finished Season 2.

I took it as the same. Is this supposed to be comedy? Or did they actually treat the show as a serious show? The first episode is fairly grounded, and quite serious. After that it turns into something else and the lines between serious show and parody are blurred.

Like I remember white man/tvc saying once that twin peaks has the best writing in a tv show. Different strokes, though.

It's both and that is where the commitment is. The biggest strenght of Twin Peaks is how it changes genre several times an episode imo, quite often inbetween each scene. Comedy, drama, soap opera, thriller, horror. It got it all. I don't think the lines are blurred, it just changes quite frequently, but it's pretty obvious when it goes from a dramatic moment to down right stupid comedy. I think you are not giving Lynch and Mark Frost enough credit if you think they are not aware of that. Not liking it is pretty understandable, it does do this with... Mixed results.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #10478 on: January 04, 2015, 07:47:24 PM »
never finished it myself either. the weird stuff works for me, because that's when I think lynch is at his best. but the drama stuff is just unbearably bad. fuck the dude on the motorcycle, fuck the dude who abuses his waitress girlfriend, fuck that old guy with the sawmill. that stuff is pure pain.
pcp

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #10479 on: January 04, 2015, 09:24:17 PM »
I adore Twin Peaks' entire first season, it's the second where things start to get a little rote. I think the story goes that Lynch was originally going to complete the story in the first season but was coerced by ABC into stretching it across two.

At any rate it was never the writing that really drew my interest, just the wonderfully quirky and colorful cast of characters and the drama they'd often find themselves in.
SRY

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10480 on: January 04, 2015, 09:28:39 PM »
I don't understand the hype and reverence for the show. Even hardcore fans readily admit the second season is trash until the last few episodes allegedly. What other show gets a pass for being good for one season?

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #10481 on: January 04, 2015, 09:31:55 PM »
What other show gets a pass for being good for one season?

The Wire?
serge

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10482 on: January 04, 2015, 09:38:46 PM »

The Wire?
:hitler

The Wire is casually given a pass for a disappointing/bad final season due to the strength of the first four. S4 is probably the best season of television period.

TVC15

« Reply #10483 on: January 04, 2015, 09:42:33 PM »

The Wire?
:hitler

The Wire is casually given a pass for a disappointing/bad final season due to the strength of the first four. S4 is probably the best season of television period.

To seriously answer your question, I give Twin Peaks a pass for having one really good and one really bad season because it was originally a miniseries (the public didn't know there was going to be a second season until the cliffhanger of the final episode of season 1).
serge

Himu

« Reply #10484 on: January 04, 2015, 09:45:44 PM »
The drama is the worst thing about twin peaks holy shit

And I find the lack of cohesion and constantly changing tone in twin peaks to be a flaw
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10485 on: January 04, 2015, 09:52:48 PM »
Dunno Himu, I'm mixed on that. Sometimes the switches are good, sometimes they're bad. The way the music cues up a sad scene, or a humorous scene, or a ditzy scene (cue bassline!)...it's surreal.

Especially the funeral...jesus christ that was bad, but fascinating at the same time.

Himu

« Reply #10486 on: January 04, 2015, 09:59:42 PM »
The bad scenes also highlight the awful acting. The scene where Laura's dad takes her photo, puts on a record and begins to twirl with it is so absurd. :lol
IYKYK

TVC15

« Reply #10487 on: January 04, 2015, 10:02:37 PM »
Himu criticizes Ray Wise, smh.
serge

Himu

« Reply #10488 on: January 04, 2015, 10:09:19 PM »
"WHAT IS GOING ON IN THIS HOUSE?!?!"

:rofl
IYKYK

TVC15

« Reply #10489 on: January 04, 2015, 10:11:55 PM »
grace zabriskie

:tauntaun :tauntaun :tauntaun :tauntaun :tauntaun :tauntaun :tauntaun :tauntaun :tauntaun :tauntaun :tauntaun
serge

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10490 on: January 04, 2015, 10:18:42 PM »

:dead

Himu

« Reply #10491 on: January 04, 2015, 10:23:24 PM »
The scene where hotel dudes brother just bursts in and is like

Dude.

Gotta have this sandwich.

In the middle of dinner :rofl so they just decide to go to a random whore house out of the blue

"What the fuck just happened?" - me, last night
IYKYK

TVC15

« Reply #10492 on: January 04, 2015, 10:26:30 PM »
It's apparently a pretty awesome sandwich.
serge

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10493 on: January 04, 2015, 10:28:25 PM »
Twin Peaks convinced me that I need to go to a brothel before I die.

TVC15

« Reply #10494 on: January 04, 2015, 10:29:14 PM »
The playing card theme is so hot.
serge

Himu

« Reply #10495 on: January 04, 2015, 10:29:44 PM »
never finished it myself either. the weird stuff works for me, because that's when I think lynch is at his best. but the drama stuff is just unbearably bad. fuck the dude on the motorcycle, fuck the dude who abuses his waitress girlfriend, fuck that old guy with the sawmill. that stuff is pure pain.

FOR NOW ON YOU SMOKE ONLY ONE KIND OF CIGARETTE :dead
IYKYK

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #10496 on: January 04, 2015, 10:38:44 PM »
by the end of this himu is gonna convince herself it's actually a great show.
nat

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10497 on: January 04, 2015, 10:40:19 PM »
The GOAT Twin Peaks scene from S1 is when Leo beats Shelly with a bar of soap in a sock.
:neogaf

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #10498 on: January 04, 2015, 10:41:06 PM »
:dead
SRY

Himu

« Reply #10499 on: January 04, 2015, 10:45:57 PM »
The GOAT Twin Peaks scene from S1 is when Leo beats Shelly with a bar of soap in a sock.
:neogaf

:rofl

I was laughing at that so hard. Like, the show treats it like it's a serious scene but the end result is pretentious bullshit :dead

WHERE'S MY FAVORITE SHIRT
IYKYK