Author Topic: River Of Slime |OT| Mission: Impossible  (Read 3812438 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: River Of Slime |OT| Mission: Impossible
« Reply #24360 on: June 19, 2019, 04:10:53 PM »
Waypoint with more of that content justifying their existence:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/waypoint-games-have-always-tried-to-whitewash-nazis-as-just-german-soldiers.124356/#post-22040604

:punch ERA: NEEDS MORE PUNCHING!  :punch

Reminded me how people are starting paint Rommel with the brush of weird misinformed hero worship lately, because Tanks.

Rommel being "one of the good ones" has been around way, way longer than War of Tanks. Like, since right after the war ended.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rommel_myth
©@©™

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #24361 on: June 19, 2019, 04:12:08 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/waypoint-games-have-always-tried-to-whitewash-nazis-as-just-german-soldiers.124356/post-22039030

Quote from: Celebrated Independent Journalist
The amount of non-nazi german soldiers is so little in comparison to the amount of nazi german soldiers that its irrelevant.
Do you have a source on that?
Nope, but you can make the educated guess that its accurate given how many atrocities were committed by the german army.

:comeon :beli :gurl :oreilly

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #24362 on: June 19, 2019, 04:12:53 PM »
So shooting nazis is bad but shooting women of color is good now?

:O

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #24363 on: June 19, 2019, 04:14:38 PM »
Oh he’s on a roll.

Hmm no, agreed, but there's still quite a lot of complexity to the issue. It's not solved by just thinking Nazi Germany became Nazi Germany because everyone was evil. If you don't look at the dynamics that cause such stupidity and malice in men and women, there's a risk of it happening again. Just look at the US now.
It's not EA's job to surgically explore the socio-economic complexities of Nazi Germany and how it rose to power.

Nazis are bad. Show them in a bad light. The amount of non-nazi german soldiers is so little in comparison to the amount of nazi german soldiers that its irrelevant.

So basically what I'm saying is your point is absolute shit.

But apparently it is their job whenever we talk about race, gender, etc.  ::)

marrec

« Reply #24364 on: June 19, 2019, 04:19:18 PM »
EVERY GAME IS ABOUT POLITICS

except for WWII games which should be devoid of politics

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #24365 on: June 19, 2019, 04:24:33 PM »
Now that I've been able to play as a black nazi woman in COD WWII, I don't think I can go back to the boring white dudes.

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #24366 on: June 19, 2019, 04:25:39 PM »
Now that I've been able to play as a black nazi woman in COD WWII, I don't think I can go back to the boring white dudes.

I just hope in the next game they'll show that this black nazi woman wasn't innocent at all but deeply connected to the crimes of the third reich.

Edit: surprisingly the topic is empty of "it's just a game!", "Who learns history by playing battlefield??"
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 04:30:16 PM by HaughtyFrank »

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #24367 on: June 19, 2019, 04:31:25 PM »
https://twitter.com/BenjiSales/status/1141422348949774340

I admit, I read that last sentence as sales teeth. I know that makes no sense, but I can't see anything else but the teeth.

... y'know

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #24368 on: June 19, 2019, 04:31:40 PM »

marrec

« Reply #24369 on: June 19, 2019, 04:32:19 PM »
sea...lion?

filler that comic is inaccurate and dumb cause the shirt says "minorities" but the character is white

spoiler (click to show/hide)
also the implication is completely stupid
[close]

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #24370 on: June 19, 2019, 04:37:00 PM »

https://www.resetera.com/threads/waypoint-games-have-always-tried-to-whitewash-nazis-as-just-german-soldiers.124356/#post-22040604

Historical accuracy is just a dog whistle for gater types to try and prevent diversity. Also fuck you for not being historically accurate.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #24371 on: June 19, 2019, 04:38:25 PM »
sea...lion?

filler that comic is inaccurate and dumb cause the shirt says "minorities" but the character is white

[close]

Did you just assume ethnicity
:O

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #24372 on: June 19, 2019, 04:40:30 PM »
sea...lion?

[close]
she's zionist :-[

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #24373 on: June 19, 2019, 04:40:32 PM »
but I can't see anything else but the teeth.

For real. I keep saying Benji would be pretty cute if he fixed the teeth.

And stopped being a libertarian...
[close]

But no, he has to get a $1000 guitar to play for his like... 50 followers or whatever. :-\

agrajag

« Reply #24374 on: June 19, 2019, 04:41:31 PM »
sea...lion?

[close]

sexual minorities are minorities regardless of skin color, you holocaust-denying bigot!

:bolo

Occam

« Reply #24375 on: June 19, 2019, 04:46:14 PM »
What about detention camps? You've got your own precedent, no need to crib other people's material. :ufup

The British invented concentration camps during the Second Boer War (1899-1902).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Boer_War

"Civilian casualties:
46,370 casualties
26,370 Boer women & children died in concentration camps
20,000+ Africans of the 115,000 interned in separate concentration camps"

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #24376 on: June 19, 2019, 04:50:15 PM »
So inefficient though.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #24377 on: June 19, 2019, 05:01:03 PM »
she's(zi)

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #24378 on: June 19, 2019, 05:11:27 PM »
Nazis not portrayed as evil enough in games?  :doge

If anything then it's the red army that kinda gets a pass, though the cold war setting makes up for it. Allies not getting their dirt exposed is pretty much a rule as well.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #24379 on: June 19, 2019, 05:18:20 PM »

Reminded me how people are starting paint Rommel with the brush of weird misinformed hero worship lately, because Tanks.

Rommel being "one of the good ones" has been around way, way longer than War of Tanks. Like, since right after the war ended.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rommel_myth
Rommel was sort of lucky that he got his stripes as a Panzer spearhead during the Battle for France which didn't last long and then moved on to fight in Africa.
Where it was mostly army vs. army in the giant open desert focused on attacking resources and vehicles rather than men and there was a sort of military 'mutual respect' in place for the enemy.

During the Africa campaign he got ill so he was left out of the whole eastern front mess. Then the Germans needed 'heroes' to defend the fatherland and moved him to oversee the construction of the atlantic wall.
It is rumored that Rommel sabotaged the German defense efforts and tried to come to terms with the Allies on the Western front as soon as the invasion started but he was by chance attacked by a fighter plane in transit.

I don't recall there was ever any solid evidence that Rommel's 'betrayal' was intentional and not just a calculated response to a battle he knew they couldn't win so his armies could retreat to fight another day.
It seems kinda weird that the guy who wanted to betray the third reich actually insisted on more tanks, defenses and troops directly on the beach to attack any invasion force head-on.
As opposed to the strategy of keeping units in reserve for a counter attack post invasion. It is said that if the Germans had actually opted for Rommel's strategy the D-Day landings might've been far more costly for the allies.
The navy artillery was proven to be quite ineffective to take out coastal defenses (most missed their mark and the fortifications were formidable) and it couldn't be used as soon as the landings started. Air power would've also been far less effective in close combat as opposed to bombing the neatly parked Panzers miles away from the front or on the open roads as they moved.

Finally there's the issue of the German high command including Hitler himself thinking that the 'real' attack would be at Calais and not Normandy because of the ports.
It seems kinda weird that Rommel would betray his country and blow his cover at the stage where they thought it was still a diversion.

And even if Rommel intended to betray Hitler (a claim for which the Germans actually had substantial evidence) there is a big difference between thinking that the leadership should be replaced and sabotaging the defense capability of his own army.
🤴

Nuitangg

« Reply #24380 on: June 19, 2019, 05:20:14 PM »
Hogan's Heroes  :trigger

« Reply #24381 on: June 19, 2019, 05:21:48 PM »
these fegs couldnt punch their way out of a wet paper bag

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #24382 on: June 19, 2019, 05:23:13 PM »
Hogan's Heroes  :trigger

I MAY have masturbated to Werner Klemperer as a youth.
serge

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #24383 on: June 19, 2019, 05:25:59 PM »
Got it. One last question, I don't know how much influence you've had over the products and advertising in 2077, but there's a poster behind us now for Chromanticore, I don't know if you've seen this. There's currently a bit of a stink kicking up online about it because I think people... do you mind if we walk over? So basically you can see if, I mean, it's saying mix it up and there are lots of flavours you can mix but it clearly looks like a woman who has an enormous penis and I think some people are...

Mike Pondsmith: Uh, I don't see it, but okay that's me.

I think some people are viewing it as potentially transphobic. I was wondering if Chromanticore was anything you'd had any input on?

No, and to be honest I hadn't ever really run across anybody directly here who's got that problem with transphobia, and it sure as hell isn't something that happens at Talsorian. We have trans staffers, I have an insanely large number of friends so for me it's kind of like... what was the issue? So... I don't know. The problem with this is often people come to things with their own interpretations and they may bring those interpretations with them when they examine anything in their world. This could be bad art, this could be a message. It depends on how you interpret it, that's why art is art. It's not, you know, specifically reportage, so consequently the problem with these sorts of situations is that if you approach things in a particular way, you may see things that nobody sees, you may see things that somebody should see, and one of the reasons we have a multilevel culture is because we can see it differently.

Not necessarily to say that's wrong or right but you know, when I look at that, I don't see it. I see, you know, eh, it's not a really good drawing of some woman who's got a coke and my immediate thought was, you know, it's a bad ad, but as far as I know it's supposed to be a bad ad, it's not supposed to be a good ad. You know somebody was hammering it out in a sweatshop somewhere for five dollars.

In the game.

Mike Pondsmith: In the game, yeah. I always figured. So I don't think of it that way and you know, when you mentioned it that would have been the first time I'd even heard of that. What I know is people have brought a lot of interpretations to what we're doing, positive and negative, and they're going to do that and that's sort of inherent not just in whatever we do but also in the nature of Cyberpunk. It's like people arguing about representation of various groups - I kind of look at it as well, you know when I represent people in Cyberpunk they're from every walk of life and every single place and I'm not exactly taking a timeclock to see who's there, I'm going to go, 'does this reflect the world that I see or that I think probably should be out there?' and particularly the world and street - that should be a very complex, very open world because the street doesn't have room to pick sides and differentiate.

Thanks for your time, I hope you don't feel like I was ambushing you with that last question.

Mike Pondsmith: No, it was a bit of a surprise but basically the problem is at a certain point there will be no way or right answer if somebody comes at it with their interpretation. There will be mine and theirs. And there are gonna be people who say, 'you need to be doing this about it,' and I'm gonna say, 'I'm doing what I do about it.'

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-06-19-an-interview-with-cyberpunk-creator-mike-pondsmith

:lol

Resetera going to try to cancel Mike Pondsmith again.  :doge

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #24384 on: June 19, 2019, 05:26:36 PM »
There will be mine and theirs. And there are gonna be people who say, 'you need to be doing this about it,' and I'm gonna say, 'I'm doing what I do about it.'

That's great.

Propagandhim

« Reply #24385 on: June 19, 2019, 05:32:33 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/40-of-people-age-18-24-don’t-use-deodorant-and-think-they-don’t-need-it-and-are-so-wrong.124138

Been a while since we had a smelly neckbeard defense force thread.

Deodorant has and never will be a "necessity." Some people just don't perspire as much. Probably because they have a healthier diet than you.

Yeah I'm sure.  I can smell the Taco Bell and wet cat litter just reading that post.  :yuck

https://twitter.com/nickmullen/status/1141458344923807745

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #24386 on: June 19, 2019, 05:36:15 PM »
https://twitter.com/ReeraTakes/status/1141413734671355904

Is this an argument that Jessica Price should have been fired from Arena Net then?  :doge

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #24387 on: June 19, 2019, 05:37:59 PM »
https://twitter.com/nickmullen/status/1141458344923807745
I'm so glad this asshole is back on twitter, but I just know he's going to get banned again :lol
每天生气

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #24388 on: June 19, 2019, 05:38:57 PM »
There will be mine and theirs. And there are gonna be people who say, 'you need to be doing this about it,' and I'm gonna say, 'I'm doing what I do about it.'

That's great.

ὕβρις

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #24389 on: June 19, 2019, 05:52:40 PM »
That mike pondsmith take is pretty great, because actual art occurs in the space between what a creator is showing you and what you bring to it, or what it evokes in you, not by people shouting the loudest "I think its this, so it fucking is, change it"

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #24390 on: June 19, 2019, 05:53:59 PM »
also I can't believe the real noel gallagher is posting shitty takes on era about mandatory ties between twitter identity and IRL identity because it works so well for facebook

FStop7

« Reply #24391 on: June 19, 2019, 06:06:00 PM »

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #24392 on: June 19, 2019, 06:06:21 PM »
Yes because making it mandatory to use a real name/face won't be used against them... ever! :doge

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #24393 on: June 19, 2019, 06:18:22 PM »
Every word Pondsmith just makes me love him and his game more.

Also, when will ERA find their non-denominational genitals and ban Cyberpunk. Have the strength of your convictions, COWARDS! Given the ad and Mike's statements, clearly it rises to that level doesn't it??

Huh, huh??

:heyman

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #24394 on: June 19, 2019, 06:24:11 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/total-war-subreddit-explodes-in-drama-after-moderators-take-down-sexy-mods-for-three-kingdoms-under-a-new-policy-by-ca.124375/post-22040443

while I find that mod pretty fucking  :expert seems a bit off to ban mods for a game from the subreddit specifically for that game just because a CM doesn't approve.

Perv mods must be like, 90% of the various Elder Scrolls mod community, and pervy fanart is what pays the bills for a swathe of deviantartists

e:
example of mod given:
 :nsfw
[close]

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #24395 on: June 19, 2019, 06:28:27 PM »
Do you have any more examples? I'm still not sure what you're talking about.
每天生气

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #24396 on: June 19, 2019, 06:37:15 PM »
ResetEra

"Keanu should show some more skin in cyberpunk. Kylo Ren with no shirt yassss"  :whew

"Pedo discord discussions... history deleted this'll stay between us"  :takei

"Modded character art depicting an adult in a strategy game":crybaby

🤴

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #24397 on: June 19, 2019, 06:38:15 PM »
Do you have any more examples? I'm still not sure what you're talking about.

nudemacusers

« Reply #24398 on: June 19, 2019, 06:47:43 PM »
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 09:54:37 PM by bork »
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #24399 on: June 19, 2019, 06:49:28 PM »

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #24400 on: June 19, 2019, 06:57:49 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/total-war-subreddit-explodes-in-drama-after-moderators-take-down-sexy-mods-for-three-kingdoms-under-a-new-policy-by-ca.124375/post-22040443

while I find that mod pretty fucking  :expert seems a bit off to ban mods for a game from the subreddit specifically for that game just because a CM doesn't approve.

Perv mods must be like, 90% of the various Elder Scrolls mod community, and pervy fanart is what pays the bills for a swathe of deviantartists

e:
example of mod given:
[close]

Banning discussion of it on a subreddit is kind of whatever. If the devs would make copyright claims etc. to get the mods taken down, that would be concerning.

REs reaction is of course also kind of dumb. Like the OP seems straight up offended in the name of the digital characters

Nuitangg

« Reply #24401 on: June 19, 2019, 07:02:02 PM »
Stop with the Aids. 

stufte

stufte

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #24405 on: June 19, 2019, 07:21:52 PM »

e:
example of mod given:
[close]

Banning discussion of it on a subreddit is kind of whatever. If the devs would make copyright claims etc. to get the mods taken down, that would be concerning.

REs reaction is of course also kind of dumb. Like the OP seems straight up offended in the name of the digital characters

AFAICS, but like all reddit drama its a buncha he said she said, the subredit was fine with it, a CM for CA (not a subreddit mod) went in and said they didn;t like it, the mods changed policy to appease them

stufte

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #24407 on: June 19, 2019, 07:23:39 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-anita-sarkeesian-story-10-years-of-feminist-frequency-polygon-article.124407/

just the quote from that OP is :delicious

She could not afford to be flippant, could not afford to be anything other than focused. Her job was to awaken an industry to its own ignorance and cruelty. She did that job, her message resonating with large numbers of women and men who play and make games.

Her payment was appalling abuse from “gamers” and ongoing ingratitude from games companies.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #24408 on: June 19, 2019, 07:25:17 PM »
She could not afford to be flippant, could not afford to be anything other than focused. Her job was to awaken an industry to its own ignorance and cruelty.

That womans name?
Erin Brockovich.

Also, some years later, Anita Sarkeesian did some videos on youtube about tropes

stufte

« Reply #24409 on: June 19, 2019, 07:26:57 PM »
User Banned (Duration Pending): Dismissing Concerns on Sexism and Rhetoric Associated with a Hate Movement; Prior Severe Infraction Related to Sexism

https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-anita-sarkeesian-story-10-years-of-feminist-frequency-polygon-article.124407/post-22046886

War. War never changes.

:dead

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #24410 on: June 19, 2019, 07:28:51 PM »
User Banned (Duration Pending): Dismissing Concerns on Sexism and Rhetoric Associated with a Hate Movement; Prior Severe Infraction Related to Sexism

https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-anita-sarkeesian-story-10-years-of-feminist-frequency-polygon-article.124407/post-22046886

War. War never changes.

:dead

I love that this is part of the post:

…when in truth Mario and Peach are good friends. Who wouldn't try to save a good friend?…

:-*

Is this real, someone actually says they are a centrist in this day and age thinking it's a good thing?

:gddr5

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #24411 on: June 19, 2019, 07:39:51 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-anita-sarkeesian-story-10-years-of-feminist-frequency-polygon-article.124407/

just the quote from that OP is :delicious

She could not afford to be flippant, could not afford to be anything other than focused. Her job was to awaken an industry to its own ignorance and cruelty. She did that job, her message resonating with large numbers of women and men who play and make games.

Her payment was appalling abuse from “gamers” and ongoing ingratitude from games companies

To be fair, there was also literal payment she received. Also ingratitude from games companies. Is that a reference to the recent tweet where she whined about EA not giving her money?  :lol

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #24412 on: June 19, 2019, 07:41:49 PM »
To be fair, there was also literal payment she received. Also ingratitude from games companies. Is that a reference to the recent tweet where she whined about EA not giving her money?  :lol

It might also be reference to the twitter rumour that she was hired by activision, gave a speech to some bigwig execs, and they then challenged her on her methodology for collecting data to support the claims she'd made, and she flipped out at them

e:
fuck it, anon filedump of the level of detail acitivision execs expect in testing methodologies
https://filebin.net/qk8avnq3inf9vuo5
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 07:47:09 PM by GreatSageEqualOfHeaven »

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #24413 on: June 19, 2019, 07:43:50 PM »
That's not allowed here.
Oh now we're all extra curious. What 'totally rational' centrist talking point might warrant this victim complex?
https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-anita-sarkeesian-story-10-years-of-feminist-frequency-polygon-article.124407/post-22047741

Numbnuts doesn't realize he's talking to someone who is already banned for his opinion  :aweshum

Averon

« Reply #24414 on: June 19, 2019, 07:58:42 PM »
Anita's been pretty irrelevant nowadays, though she's trying her best to rectify that. Just look at her anemic FF YouTube channel and her trying to shame EA into giving her more money. Her recent attempt to muscle into Cyber Punk 2077 was so blatant you can only laugh. Her stature waned the more the online trolls and YouTubers stopped giving a fuck about her. Not a coincidence.

zepblackstar

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #24416 on: June 19, 2019, 09:20:35 PM »
jeeezus

BadAss2961

« Reply #24417 on: June 19, 2019, 09:33:14 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-anita-sarkeesian-story-10-years-of-feminist-frequency-polygon-article.124407/post-22047315

Oh my sweet summer child.
I remember a video early on, before she found her niche, where Sarkeesian exposed the fact that she's not even into games. I was always dumbfounded by how many GAFers and even industry people blindly followed and funded her despite it being pretty obvious that her whole deal was just a hustle. Lots of impressionable ERA marks to capitalize on if you just feint the right signals.

To this day, even after she's fallen off, i'm sure you'd catch a ban for questioning her at all.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #24418 on: June 19, 2019, 09:36:10 PM »

This thread - for some fucking unfathomable reason - is now how about Steam is full of nazis, moreso than anywhere else on the internet

:mindblown

Jansen

« Reply #24419 on: June 19, 2019, 09:43:52 PM »
Fuck u sluts u ruin browsing on a phone

:rash
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 09:53:31 PM by bork »