Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 357301 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #1200 on: March 09, 2017, 11:28:26 PM »
I drafted a Shock, a Hungry Flames, a Welding Sparks, and 3x Chandra's Revolutions tonight. It was "lit". ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
©@©™

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #1201 on: March 09, 2017, 11:45:28 PM »
But did you Shock a (cat) monkey? (>ლ)

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Errata Zodiac Monkey to an Ape and then print the Cat Monkey creature type brehs.
[close]

Rev is so good and it gets passed so much... is the tapped land effect just not valued? Even then, 4 for 3R is like good as heck?

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #1202 on: March 10, 2017, 08:30:48 AM »
Weren't Path to Exile and Bloodbraid Elf pricy uncommons once upon a time, too?
yar

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1203 on: March 10, 2017, 11:20:26 AM »
But did you Shock a (cat) monkey? (>ლ)

I did! :lol It was during the game I played a Merchant Dockhand on T1 and then attacked his face with it three turns in a row by casting escalating burn spells each turn to remove whatever creature he played (Shock into Welding Sparks into ChanRev). Merchant Dockhand, the ultimate 20 turn clock.
©@©™

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #1204 on: March 10, 2017, 08:09:42 PM »
It's a Divining Top that swings! /MTG clichι

Weren't Path to Exile and Bloodbraid Elf pricy uncommons once upon a time, too?

This is by no means scientific, but I way backed a retailer's site and Path was about a 4 dollar uncommon when it was Type 2 legal. That's pricey, but it probably can't be compared to Push because Modern didn't even exist when Conflux dropped.

Kara

« Reply #1205 on: March 10, 2017, 11:59:02 PM »
BAN MARO, FLASHBACK SAM STODDARD (LONG MAY HE REIGN)

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1206 on: March 11, 2017, 11:57:52 AM »
But what about the kidz and their Woolly Thoctars? *wrings hands*
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1207 on: March 11, 2017, 03:27:57 PM »
In limited. Where you'll have at most, what, 4 lands that aren't hashtag basic?

You know that question was asked by some Modern dork who runs a deck with less than 5 basic lands and relies on the scarcity of Blood Moon in their meta to not get punished for it. (They'll also probably never draft the set either.)

Kara

« Reply #1208 on: March 13, 2017, 03:05:23 PM »
No new Type 2 bans. :lol

On the one hand I can't further laugh at Wizards for screwing up, but on the other hand I can continue to bask in nό world order babies crying about how they can't tap out on turn 4 and have to have instant speed removal and that both of these things are format warping. Karakand reveled while Standard burned?

I sure am sick and tired of folks whose only exposure to Mirrodin block is Modern talking about how Ravager was the darkest point in Type 2 in the Modern era, though. That was when Clamp was legal. The second (yes second!) round of bannings from that set that got Ravager were Caw Blade bans (a concession to tournament attendance cratering), not power bans. Get off my lawn (unless you have banding).

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #1209 on: March 13, 2017, 08:59:03 PM »
lol, yeah bloodmoon won't be affecting many limited decks significantly. maybe not a terrible sb card in an Rx deck with little fixing, but the best shards in mm17 all have red too :rollsafe then you also have the fixing from Signets.
◕‿◕

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1210 on: March 13, 2017, 09:17:25 PM »
I'm glad they didn't ban anything. I don't want see them getting into a habit of new bannings every 6 weeks just to "shake things up". It would only be a band-aid in this shitty Standard season anyway, it's not like there are a bunch of good decks out there on the fringes that are being pushed out. Wizards listed Temur Dynavolt (:lol) as one of their reasons for not banning anything, because they thought it was making a push toward being Tier 1 (pro tip: it's not) but that deck just eats shit to artifact removal. If they banned Saheeli and Heart of Kiran, everyone would just go back to playing G/B Constrictor. :zzz

Just let me draft MM17 until the next set comes out.  :drool
©@©™

« Reply #1211 on: March 13, 2017, 09:20:15 PM »
Magic is a flat circle. Every 7-8 years they hit a rough patch, fuck up some shit, bleed off customers and then scramble to fix shit. When they manage to do something right, people come back and bring newbies with them.

naff

« Reply #1212 on: March 13, 2017, 10:22:54 PM »
Magic is a flat circle. Every 7-8 years they hit a rough patch, fuck up some shit, bleed off customers and then scramble to fix shit. When they manage to do something right, people come back and bring newbies with them.

:holeup :foxx :donot
◕‿◕

Kara

« Reply #1213 on: March 14, 2017, 02:42:08 AM »
 :lol The Snapcaster alternate is the splash screen on MODO atm.

[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1214 on: March 14, 2017, 08:18:20 AM »
:lol The Snapcaster alternate is the splash screen on MODO atm.

[close]

Everybody get hyped for the 2018 World Cup!
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1215 on: March 14, 2017, 06:16:24 PM »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1216 on: March 14, 2017, 07:37:30 PM »
k-kawaii!
©@©™

eleuin

• perennial loser

Kara

« Reply #1218 on: March 15, 2017, 03:57:00 AM »
http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/if_the_light_music_club_played_magic_the_gathering_ch01#1

In Chapter 2, there's a Bishie Stromkirk. :uguu

[close]

Also an animu Tarmogoyf. We is Soul Society now, Kurosaki-kun.

[close]

Jitte is on the cover of chapter 3........................... Kamigawa vindicated?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1219 on: March 15, 2017, 05:42:32 PM »
I love Wizards occasional pandering to the :expert market.

©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1220 on: March 16, 2017, 09:26:59 PM »
Yay, draft time!

« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 01:51:17 AM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1221 on: March 17, 2017, 12:48:55 AM »
How the fuck do you get passed so much removal. :lol

Kara

« Reply #1222 on: March 17, 2017, 02:02:35 AM »
It would only be a band-aid in this shitty Standard season anyway, it's not like there are a bunch of good decks out there on the fringes that are being pushed out. Wizards listed Temur Dynavolt (:lol) as one of their reasons for not banning anything, because they thought it was making a push toward being Tier 1 (pro tip: it's not) but that deck just eats shit to artifact removal.

:drudge :drudge :drudge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1223 on: March 17, 2017, 03:59:38 AM »
Also Frontier is the hottest new format that's sweeping the nation, please buy all these $5 Dig Through Times please.  :money

Draft Update: I went 2-1 and got steamrolled by this guy playing a G/W Tokens deck. Oh well, at least I got a Fatal Push. :money
[close]
©@©™

« Reply #1224 on: March 17, 2017, 07:22:24 AM »
Frontier's 3 minutes as a format was hilarious. Fucking muppets looking at a format 100% propped up by Hareruya and Face2Face games and thought "oh, man this totally isn't a way for these companies that exist to speculate on cards to dump their overstock." I'm just glad to see a relatively small amount of people fell for the bullshit and it's not resting alongside Penny Dreadful and Tiny Leaders as failed formats. People really are fucking dumb though. But Hareruya totally said that's NOT what they're doing? WHY WOULD THEY LIE?

Kara

« Reply #1225 on: March 17, 2017, 11:32:18 AM »
It's inevitable that Type 1.5 will be replaced as a Grand Prix format by something that is based on newer cards and doesn't have fetch lands in its legal sets ( :'( ), but yeah, what a bunch of rubes.

« Reply #1226 on: March 17, 2017, 06:55:09 PM »
It will 100 percent be started with Origins though. Also, I hate anybody who bitches about fetchlands. If you had shuffling that much, maybe don't play a card game. Turbonerds.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1227 on: March 17, 2017, 07:24:34 PM »
Going to a MM17 draft tonight. Prepare the i_have_no_idea_what_im_doing.jpg
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1228 on: March 17, 2017, 08:06:48 PM »
It will 100 percent be started with Origins though. Also, I hate anybody who bitches about fetchlands. If you had shuffling that much, maybe don't play a card game. Turbonerds.

No one makes you use them, either. :lol

Along with missed triggers and "accidental" cheating it's definitely something I have to adjust back to on the rare occasions that I play in paper, but Brainstorm has already slowed the turn down anyway.
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1229 on: March 18, 2017, 01:20:28 AM »
oh god how did this get here I am not good with magic  :doge

Went 1-2  :larry
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1230 on: March 18, 2017, 02:15:24 AM »
You drafted 5 color. :lol

Kara

« Reply #1231 on: March 18, 2017, 04:05:52 AM »
tfw when you're in a league and on tilt and then you play a deck that relies on combat tricks to win and you sideboard in Standard Bearer. :aah

« Reply #1232 on: March 18, 2017, 08:27:11 AM »
Let's go Fetchland, keep on dropping. Daddy needs a new pair of Tarns.

Kara

« Reply #1233 on: March 18, 2017, 11:20:31 AM »
http://m.imgur.com/DEtClqY

If the game has found itself at a point where designing to what (some) players want and only what those players want has turned the premier constructed format into limited but without the random element or jank removal, maybe flashback on a split card isn't the most inspiring thing to roll out in your next set.

At least we'll get some god damn spells. :larry
[close]

Also aren't there not a lot of creatures with power greater or equal to 3 in Vehicles?

Kara

« Reply #1234 on: March 18, 2017, 12:43:38 PM »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1235 on: March 18, 2017, 12:50:16 PM »
I countered a spell and prevented you from drawing a card, that's a 2 for 1. Card advantage, baby!  :patel
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1236 on: March 19, 2017, 02:06:45 AM »
The obvious answer is that everyone on MODO is bad at playing Magic* but that exact play happens so many times when I use that deck that I have to at least consider that there has to be another explanation.

Is the prevailing wisdom about counter-magic different now? The meme (that I don't agree with) that counterspells are just removal that makes people feel bad comes to mind. Has years of tacking unrelated malarkey onto counterspells made people think of them differently?

WHY WOULD YOU COUNTER THE THING THAT DRAWS THE CARD AND NOT THE THREAT. :stahp :stahp :stahp

*Myself included, natch.

naff

« Reply #1237 on: March 22, 2017, 06:07:15 PM »
i bought zen tarns about 2 months before mm17 :tocry

between buying a box (still sealed) and a bunch of drafts i've spent far too much on mm17... and the most valuable card ive pulled so far has been path to exile. built a sickin naya draft deck the other day, ithought it was almost perfect, my land base was slick - managed to high pick two jungle shrines and pick up some late gruul and boros guildgates after getting passed thoctars, dece removal; pte, 2 ground assault with arachnus webs and magma spray in the board. Good critters; scooze, wayfaring temple, advent of the wurm (yes, i managed to swing with wayfaring temple - no blocks - before damage cast advent of the wurm and get two 5/5 tramplers for 4 :lawd) burning tree emissary, 2 call the conclave, lots of solid two drops, some soul wardens, bronzebeak moas, a couple o combat tricks w strength in numbers and might of old krosa. still went 2-1 :/ manabase not slick enough to avoid the variance of mana screw and a good uw flyers blink deck that just kept time walking me, fucking my tokens, and burying me in card advantage. seems like a bad matchup for my slow, ground based dudes. also realised every deck i faced wouldve wrecked me if i didn't manage to kill them fast, soul warden and lone missionary undo the damage so quickly and everyone (apart from me) seemed to be rolling in card advantage engines in the late game.... i really could've done with a harmonize or two.

edit: oh and my swt 4th colour tech was lingering souls with a couple shimmering grottos as my black splash :p
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 06:18:06 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

Kara

« Reply #1238 on: March 23, 2017, 03:55:20 AM »
Me (foolish and frustrated by the lack of bombs I opened): I guess I'll play Removal.dec and shit all over everyone else's shiny toys. :idont

Match 1, game 1, turn 3:

(I later learned that my opponent had also cracked a Marsh Flats. :doge :doge :doge)

Kara

« Reply #1239 on: March 23, 2017, 02:07:08 PM »
http://wizardsmtgo.tumblr.com/post/158715254664/30-life-for-1v1-commander

One on one EDH is going to get league support in MODO before Type 1. :lol

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1240 on: March 23, 2017, 02:15:59 PM »
But hey, at least it took them less than month to fix the 3 or 4 new cards in Pauper.
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1241 on: March 24, 2017, 04:01:11 AM »
I finished that league 2-1. Would have been nice to get a sick 3-0 since my scrub self never sniffs that, but I ran up against RakdosJankBeatdown.dec which (shockingly I know) is much, much, much, much better than 3CMCremoval.dec. I'll probably use the partial payout to draft once more since I've only got like a week to draft the set on MODO. >:(

For today's episode of Folks Counter the Darndest Things:

(Opponent has 10 life. Karakand has Metalcraft.)

Karakand casts Glint Hawk.
Opponent casts Counterspell targeting Glint Hawk.
[Counterspell resolves.]
Karakand casts Firebolt from graveyard targeting Opponent.
Karakand casts Galvanic Blast targeting Opponent.
Karakand casts Galvanic Blast targeting Opponent.
Opponent has left the game.

:bow Glint Hawk the promised end. :bow2

Kara

« Reply #1242 on: March 24, 2017, 01:51:50 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/619hpz/mark_rosewater_2002_according_to_the_latest_issue/

If you have a Reddit account, the sorry souls who posted on the official Wizards message forums circa 2002 would be in your debt if you posted a link to this article in the thread. Chapeau if you can work in the sickest burn with a converted mana cost of 0 Mark has ever received:

anyone citing InQuest for anything is automatically wrong

Maro's main mistake is this: He claims that he won't comment on the T1 metagame, but then he does make a very strong assumption about said metagame by repeating the old (and long-debunked) canard that T1 is the most expensive format because you have to have Moxes, Ancestral Recall, and Black Lotus to win. Any decent Suicide, Sligh, Stompy, or Parfait player (and that's just a few decks off the top of my head), could set him straight that you, in fact, do not.

In fact, competitive Type 2 becomes far more expensive after a single set rotation (nevermind two, three, or more) than Type 1 will ever be, even if your were to build and play fully-Powered Keeper.

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1243 on: March 24, 2017, 02:11:46 PM »
Here's my $900, I'll take one playset of Black Lotus, Moxen, and Ancestral Recalls pls.

An average Shops deck costs approximately $20,000.  :lol
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1244 on: March 25, 2017, 01:13:06 AM »

Izzet with a Green splash so I could play some fatties (and Mystic Genesis, mainly for the lulz, but maybe you really need to counter that late game Grisel Daddy). My game plan was basically just to stall until I could play Simic Sky Swallower and hope that I never hit it with Auger of Bolas. :lol It basically worked, I went 2-1 and might have went 3-0 if I hadn't misplayed pretty badly. In Game 3, I had my opponent at 1 (me at 5) and I had Sky Swallower on board. He plays Vampire Nighthawk. I attack into Nighthawk, thinking that was game but whoops he also had that enchantment that gives his creatures +1/0 and Menace, so the damage and lifelink cancel out and I have nothing else on board. He draws a creature and I draw nothing. Ah well.

But even if I lost every game, it was all worth it for the play I was able to make Match 1, Game 1. I'm on the play. I mulligan to 6, look at my top card. Keep on top. Play a mountain, go. Next turn, windmill slam a Thunderous Wrath MIRACLES EVERY DAY, PURE MOTHERFUCKING MAGIC!  :bow2

Also, I pulled a Verdant Catacombs and a Scalding Tarn, so that was nice.  8)
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1245 on: March 25, 2017, 02:15:43 AM »
But even if I lost every game, it was all worth it for the play I was able to make Match 1, Game 1. I'm on the play. I mulligan to 6, look at my top card. Keep on top. Play a mountain, go. Next turn, windmill slam a Thunderous Wrath MIRACLES EVERY DAY, PURE MOTHERFUCKING MAGIC!  :bow2

Kara

« Reply #1246 on: March 25, 2017, 02:22:17 AM »
Speaking of Burning-Tree Emissary, of the 10 decks that went 5-0 in the Pauper league on MODO today, 3 of them were running the card as a 4 of. :doge

One of them was even Red Deck Wins with 4 of Magma Jet. (The other 2 were Stompy, which was the predicted home for the card.)

JUST WHEN I THOUGHT IT WAS SAFE TO COME BACK AFTER PEREGRINE DRAKE IN THE LAST MASTERS SET :'(

Kara

« Reply #1247 on: March 26, 2017, 01:58:30 AM »

That nuts draw in game 1. :whew

That Misdirection ownage in game 2. :lawd

That Vorthos shit from the color team at the end of game 2. :donot

Choosing to counter the Type 1 planeswalker instead of the Type 1.5 MVP creature and losing to that creature with a Jace emblem up. :delicious

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1248 on: March 27, 2017, 12:03:24 PM »
Cycling is back. Also you can tap your dudes so hard, it takes two turns to untap them.
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1249 on: March 27, 2017, 12:55:46 PM »
There's flashback for creatures because, you know, it's not fair for spells to have something that creatures can't. Did I mention that it's an activated ability so it's more difficult to use counter magic on too? Because little Timmy gets sad when you counter his wurm.  :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

There are also physical counters for bricks. I'll let the official site sell you on them:

Oh, and those brick-looking counters on the punch card? They're actual brick counters. They help you build things . . .

Bricks help you build things, who knew?

Christ this game is stupid.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1250 on: March 27, 2017, 01:24:19 PM »
There's flashback for creatures because, you know, it's not fair for spells to have something that creatures can't. Did I mention that it's an activated ability so it's more difficult to use counter magic on too? Because little Timmy gets sad when you counter his wurm.  :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Countdown until someone uses a Counter Spell on a 2/2 Flashback Bear on MTGO...10...9...
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1251 on: March 27, 2017, 02:06:45 PM »
Disallow will allow (ha ha ha) so many MODO grinders to think Embalm (the keyword) can be countered normally. :stahp

Anyway, Horribly Awry could be the 3 month Type 2 MVP before it rotates out because of this. BUY TEMUR TOWER NOW WHILE YOU STILL CAN Y'ALL. :rollsafe

Did I mention that when flashed back every creature loses its color, becomes white, and gets the creature type zombie in addition to its other types? Because white zombies are totally in sync with the beloved color wheel.
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1252 on: March 27, 2017, 02:19:31 PM »
Incendiary Flow

They said it was just a sorcery-speed Lightning Strike but they were wrong....DEAD WRONG.
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1253 on: March 27, 2017, 10:51:50 PM »
I think I have to retire this meme. Goodnight sweet planeswalker. :tocry

Turn 2: Karakand.
Karakand plays Ancient Den.
Karakand casts Ichor Wellspring.
Opponent casts Daze targeting Ichor Wellspring.
Turn 3: Opponent.
Opponent plays Swamp.
Opponent casts Exhume targeting Ulamog's Crusher.
Turn 3: Karakand.
Karakand plays Journey to Nowhere targeting Ulamog's Crusher.

(I only had 2 lands.)

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1254 on: March 27, 2017, 11:46:19 PM »
Some daze you eat the bar and some daze the bar eats you.
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1255 on: March 28, 2017, 09:05:49 PM »
https://massdrop-s3.imgix.net/img_thread/ATinZrwfSXsQOPPt7tZA_lowres.jpg?auto=format&fm=jpg&fit=min&q=20&w=796&dpr=3

The new masterpiece cards. :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Counterspell getting a masterpiece. :rofl :rofl :rofl

Mind Twist unbanned confirmed.
[close]

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1256 on: March 28, 2017, 11:03:12 PM »
That art tho

:donot
yar

Kara

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1258 on: March 29, 2017, 09:25:36 AM »
Lmao, holy shit that looks like garbage :lol
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1259 on: March 29, 2017, 10:13:18 AM »
I'm gonna be real- as gross as the new masterpieces are (both in selection of what to print and presentation) the concept of flashback creatures is far more disgusting. So glad I don't play this game anymore.
yar