Author Topic: The Culture War Thread  (Read 151202 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: The Culture War Thread
« Reply #2580 on: February 27, 2023, 11:25:15 PM »
Zizek has been against identity politics for a while, he's always been a decent critic of the left. He's less good at critiquing things he doesn't understand.

Like economics  :doge
I haven't read it in over a decade but I remember Violence having a large number of examples where he was describing things from other fields or media that were not correct at all. :lol

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
:O

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2582 on: March 01, 2023, 04:39:29 PM »
Can someone explain the "vegetables are toxic/poison" thing? I always feel my healthiest when I eat balanced diet high in veggies and a little meat here and there. I don't get it. Are these people that didn't accept that spinach is delicious or something? Stuff is straight delicious.
people keep telling me to stop eating raw potatoes. I won't give in  :delicious

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #2583 on: March 01, 2023, 04:46:00 PM »
Filler is Irish? :titus
Margs

benjipwns

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2585 on: March 02, 2023, 03:00:18 AM »
🤴

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #2586 on: March 02, 2023, 05:12:36 AM »
But women are transwomen and should be allowed into all the same spaces, whats the problem?  ???

BisMarckie

« Reply #2587 on: March 02, 2023, 06:33:56 AM »

:thinking

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race

james

NekoFever

« Reply #2590 on: March 02, 2023, 12:02:25 PM »
I had to look up allosexual. Turns out it means straight. But it also means gay. Useful.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/allosexual

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #2591 on: March 02, 2023, 12:07:49 PM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
when you come across someone using made up terms like that, its just best to ignore them :elon
[close]
(ice)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story

james

« Reply #2593 on: March 02, 2023, 01:33:45 PM »
https://twitter.com/hellonecole/status/1631138652452528128

I was expecting some unhinged cringe but that seems accurate?

Like dont take a Pol Pot quote about the beauty of the countryside and use it to show off your farmhouse wedding

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #2594 on: March 02, 2023, 01:47:59 PM »

BIONIC

« Reply #2595 on: March 02, 2023, 02:01:51 PM »
Margs

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2597 on: March 02, 2023, 07:05:48 PM »
 :pacspit  :notlikethis
🤴

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #2598 on: March 02, 2023, 08:22:21 PM »
https://twitter.com/thomaschattwill/status/1631435891909509120

I need to look up what article this is from because it sounds like the professors solution is to stop reading old books  :picard

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #2599 on: March 02, 2023, 09:03:43 PM »
https://twitter.com/thomaschattwill/status/1631435891909509120

I need to look up what article this is from because it sounds like the professors solution is to stop reading old books  :picard
University-level picture books.
Spud

benjipwns

« Reply #2600 on: March 03, 2023, 12:07:33 PM »
twitter.com/thomaschattwill/status/1631435891909509120

Might be related to whole word reading: https://www.apmreports.org/episode/2019/08/22/whats-wrong-how-schools-teach-reading

You have to dump the old books because whole word readers can't understand contextual clues and definitely cannot understand older usages.

I'm surprised that if they are rewriting old books for problematic shit they aren't rewriting them into more modern language to help with this. More evidence they don't actually expect anyone to read the "updated" books. :lol

paprikastaude

« Reply #2601 on: March 03, 2023, 12:54:19 PM »
I had to look up allosexual. Turns out it means straight. But it also means gay. Useful.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/allosexual

so... bi? Except giving it a more pretentious sound for culture warriors.

benjipwns

« Reply #2603 on: March 03, 2023, 03:15:26 PM »
Four pupils have been suspended from a West Yorkshire secondary school after a copy of the Quran was damaged by students.

Wednesday's incident at Wakefield's Kettlethorpe High School happened when a copy of the Islamic text was brought in by a Year 10 pupil.

Head teacher Tudor Griffiths said the book remained intact and there was "no malicious intent" from those involved.

While at the school it sustained a slight tear to the cover and smears of dirt on some of the pages.
(Image removed from quote.)

:nsfw DAMAGED QURAN INSIDE :nsfw

[close]
https://twitter.com/habibi_uk/status/1630961820184788992

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2604 on: March 03, 2023, 04:30:57 PM »
That's what happens when you lose a war to the Taliban :trumps
🤴

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #2605 on: March 03, 2023, 04:38:57 PM »
Why is it seemingly so hard to find a middle ground where we're tolerant of religions but not tolerant of kids receiving death threats because they damaged a book?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2606 on: March 03, 2023, 05:06:38 PM »
They seem really upset.

Business idea, you stream some Qurans hanging above a fire with a winch and you slowly lower them towards the flames every day.
People have to donate to make the Qurans go back up. The more viewers the faster it moves down, the more it costs to haul them back up.

:money

🤴

BIONIC

« Reply #2607 on: March 03, 2023, 05:35:48 PM »
        Snowflakes?
:isthis
Margs

benjipwns

« Reply #2608 on: March 03, 2023, 05:43:29 PM »
They seem really upset.

Business idea, you stream some Qurans hanging above a fire with a winch and you slowly lower them towards the flames every day.
People have to donate to make the Qurans go back up. The more viewers the faster it moves down, the more it costs to haul them back up.

:money
Pretty sure this is what caused Benghazi.

benjipwns

« Reply #2609 on: March 03, 2023, 05:44:57 PM »

james

« Reply #2610 on: March 03, 2023, 05:47:06 PM »
How does Himu juggle so many accounts

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2611 on: March 03, 2023, 06:02:50 PM »
I'm looking at buying Qurans right now but this shit is confusing with so many editions and translations.

This must be what it is like for normies when they have to figure out which Pokemon game to buy.
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #2612 on: March 03, 2023, 06:32:39 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

BIONIC

Margs

benjipwns

« Reply #2615 on: March 03, 2023, 07:45:58 PM »
Dear white women during Women’s History Month:
Let’s kick off the party with a bit of housekeeping.

1. Women’s History Month is, and has always been, for and about YOU. White women. A month explicitly dedicated to celebrating you, white women, sandwiched between all the other months de facto dedicated to celebrating you, white women.
For you, it’s a month of marathon-watching white feminism, a compelling, dazzling, dizzying marathon of your achievements throughout time and space. White feminism, in short, is seeing everything through a gender lens, thereby erasing other marginalized identities, including race and ethnicity.

Women’s History Month is actually White Women’s History and Present Month.

Ergo for us, Black, Indigenous and brown women, it’s one gigantic reminder (or more aptly, one gigantic "fuck you") that we don’t count, aren’t your equals….aren’t even considered women by white society.

2. While you rage against the machine of sexism and flaunt your legion accomplishments this month, you conveniently redact your role as oppressor, namely that of white supremacist.
You conveniently ignore how you have enjoyed, and continue to enjoy, the benefits of having white skin in a white supremacist society. This necessarily comes at our expense: women who do not have white skin, women who are eaten alive by white supremacy culture and its executive branch — racism and xenophobia. At our expense by white men, of course, but also by you, white women.

Now that we’ve grounded ourselves in the reality of what this month IS, let’s reimagine what it COULD BE: time for true, deep introspection about how you, white women, can empower yourselves to be better, do better.
Set yourselves free.
This requires you to (a) acknowledge where you sit in the hierarchy of American society, which is one tiny rung beneath white men, and mountains above all Black, Indigenous and brown folks, and to (b) do something about it.

Beware, getting from (a) to (b) is a perilous journey.

White supremacy culture is a gigantic castle with oceans, rivers, tsunamis, mountains, jungles, floods, and fires surrounding it from every angle to ensure nothing can penetrate its hegemonic hold. These obstacles (after all, who besides white Jesus can move Mt. Everest or walk on water) are meant to make you feel overwhelmed and confused. These obstacles are meant to make you feel like you’ll drown, burn, choke, or freeze if you even attempt to get to the other side.
These obstacles effectively ensure you believe the work is impossible.

This is not true.

The obstacles are created. They were made. By white men and women. They can be unmade. Unmade by you, the architects.

These obstacles are a mirage — and by design, invisible. If you can’t see them, you can’t overcome them. And if you can’t overcome them, the status quo remains firmly intact. Which is how you pass down white supremacy culture to your kids, without even fully realizing it.
While many of you have fallen prey to one or all of these obstacles, plenty of you are coming through to the other side, namely the "do something about it" part.
We know, because we work with you every day. We are seeing, in real life, in real time, white women waking up, internalizing how white supremacy is killing you, how you absolutely possess white power, and how you will not die by not doing anti-racism work perfectly, because you have realized that perfection doesn’t exist — and that it’s a trap meant to keep white women in your place, which is firmly right beneath white men.

One example: Recently, a white woman who’d read White Women, a book I coauthored with Regina Jackson, posted a video on Instagram announcing the start of a new book club. She wanted 50 fellow white women to join her. Within 36 hours, she had more than 200 white women sign up, and the number is growing by the day. With just one social media post, she’s organized hundreds of white women committed to taking action against white supremacy, patriarchy's greatest tool.

Now that you are organizing in this fashion (and see how easy it was — one Instagram reel), imagine what you can do next. Organize to fight back against book bans, against the assault on our LGBTQ kids, against police brutality, against gun violence, against climate catastrophe.
You can organize to elect people who will actually DO SOMETHING TOO.

You can organize for healthcare, housing, education, renewable energy.

You can organize to reclaim rights over your body.

You can organize for YOUR liberation.

Because you know, you deeply know, that you white women, like us Black and brown women, will never be liberated in this white supremacy culture.

That your liberation is intricately tied to ours.

That you will not be free if we are not free.

And that spending an entire month throwing a parade for the white suffragettes and Ruth Bader Ginsburg might not be the greatest path to liberation.

White women, your path to liberation lies within you, namely your ability, your courage to see yourselves for what you are — tools of white supremacy, tools of patriarchy, ergo tools of your own oppression.
This Women’s History Month, instead of spending hours, days, weeks raising myriad roofs for Nancy Pelosi and Taylor Swift, consider blowing the roof off the castle of white supremacy and getting to work on setting ALL of us women — Black, Indigenous, brown, and yes, you, white women — free.

Himu

« Reply #2616 on: March 03, 2023, 08:35:49 PM »
IYKYK

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #2617 on: March 04, 2023, 06:02:49 AM »
TERFs are out and about

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-news/police-called-to-womens-right-protest-in-brisbane/video/e51f19e930bd3e9fd5e1d8ceb1d9d06b

This shit should kick off big time next week with International Women's Day.

letthemfight.gif
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2619 on: March 04, 2023, 10:22:15 AM »
I use Envato Elements for stock images, graphics, clips etc. a lot. It's about $15 a month to white label it and use all the assets unlimited.
The fact that they use the free tier and have to attribute credit to Envato Elements for the image tells me everything I need to know about Ashton Linnel's clickbait operation.

None of these rags ever highlight the fact that people put 0 effort into their resume. Broken portfolio links, spelling mistakes, stretching out their very small contribution to a very large project or not giving any specifics as to what their role was or their process.
You may have worked for a company that was hired by a Disney affiliate to serve drinks at a Marvel press event but that does NOT mean you were employed by Disney Marvel.
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #2620 on: March 04, 2023, 04:05:56 PM »
Ashton Linnell's clickbait operation is a little bit more mainstream. Probably still a clickbait operation though.

Spud

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #2621 on: March 04, 2023, 07:26:09 PM »
https://twitter.com/billmaher/status/1631877626313711619

This will probably be ignored by most progressives because by now they think Maher is the devil but I really wonder how it came to be that trigger warnings are so widespread when there's legit research out there that concludes that they either don't help or even makes things worse for the traumatized

https://theconversation.com/proceed-with-caution-the-trouble-with-trigger-warnings-192598

https://lifeinmind.org.au/a-meta-analysis-of-the-efficacy-of-trigger-warnings-content-warnings-and-content-notes

I get that the public might not really care about studies like that, by how do academics just ignore it?

Himu

« Reply #2622 on: March 04, 2023, 07:33:36 PM »
https://twitter.com/billmaher/status/1631877626313711619

This will probably be ignored by most progressives because by now they think Maher is the devil but I really wonder how it came to be that trigger warnings are so widespread when there's legit research out there that concludes that they either don't help or even makes things worse for the traumatized

https://theconversation.com/proceed-with-caution-the-trouble-with-trigger-warnings-192598

https://lifeinmind.org.au/a-meta-analysis-of-the-efficacy-of-trigger-warnings-content-warnings-and-content-notes

I get that the public might not really care about studies like that, by how do academics just ignore it?

They were originally for survivors of PTSD and rape victims and it became a part of common culture and turned into a joke.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #2623 on: March 04, 2023, 10:14:44 PM »

Nobody's going to read "research" (aka lies) from fascists, especially not if they don't have trigger warnings about the lies within.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2624 on: March 06, 2023, 01:41:48 PM »
https://twitter.com/DC_Draino/status/1632768971354120193

The kid's gotta learn marketable skills breh
🤴

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #2625 on: March 06, 2023, 02:21:37 PM »
Maine Father continues: I had to learn it on my own!

also:

dat thirst

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2626 on: March 06, 2023, 03:12:01 PM »
If the kid is 11 now, he'll be 18 in 2030.

By then most mundane tasks are automated by AI and OnlyFans-type content can just be generated by AI's. Crypto is dead so he's too late for that career path.
I don't think dad has the connections to the corporate or political world to land his kid a decent job.

The kids' gotta suck on the side what he can or try to convince the they/them corpo overlords to give him a job. Either way, the school is trying to teach kids how to survive in the future not the current times.
After all dad's gonna be in jail for some Tweet he posted in 2014 that the AI censors picked up.
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #2627 on: March 06, 2023, 04:58:58 PM »
also:
(Image removed from quote.)

dat thirst
She is the star of this, don't even listen to him or whatever he was on about that nobody cares about, just watch her.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #2628 on: March 06, 2023, 05:14:50 PM »
Great way to misrepresent the guy's words in that tweet. The dick sucking quote related to his high school kid's library, not the 11 year old's...

Twatter and its people should ask be burned alive.
Spud

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #2629 on: March 06, 2023, 07:25:50 PM »
Adam Sessler just found the way to beat cancel culture. Just say they’re a bunch of Trump supporters.

https://twitter.com/AdamSessler/status/1632078967216959489

https://twitter.com/AdamSessler/status/1632121484167757829

:lol :lol :lol

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2630 on: March 06, 2023, 07:37:54 PM »
He's an absolute psychopath, he's seriously not well.
🤴

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #2631 on: March 06, 2023, 07:48:15 PM »
Isn't he a big coke head? I swear that was the lowdown on him around 2014ish and he doesn't seem any better now.
(ice)

benjipwns

« Reply #2632 on: March 06, 2023, 07:51:09 PM »
I saw his amazing rant a while back about how he's finally free from having to write about games which he hates so he can write about what's truly important. He seems to be under the impression that people are actually going to care about what Adam Sessler has to say about literally anything.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #2633 on: March 06, 2023, 07:53:52 PM »
The lucrative Mad About Trump market is going to be hot over the next year and half tho :ufup

If he catches on with resistance dorks there's an easy patreon/podcast/YouTube market to exploit :money
(ice)

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2634 on: March 06, 2023, 11:14:00 PM »
seemed like they were just trying to shit on baten kaitos because it was a gamecube exclusive and sony/microsoft were paying good in those days tbh  :thinking

benjipwns

« Reply #2635 on: March 07, 2023, 12:56:24 AM »
Is this guy ever going to stop melting down over how he used to be irrelevant and how it's everyone else's fault for not worshipping his personal orgy of desperation?

https://twitter.com/AdamSessler/status/1632135547836837888

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #2636 on: March 07, 2023, 08:04:01 AM »
Sessler will have Sagi's balls in his mouth by the end of this week
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #2637 on: March 07, 2023, 09:34:40 PM »

HaughtyFrank