Author Topic: minor inconveniences that are not struggles  (Read 901282 times)

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Re: minor inconviences that are not struggles
« Reply #3840 on: June 07, 2017, 06:03:55 PM »
Last time I had food poisoning I couldn't imagine going anywhere. You're playing a risky game.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3841 on: June 08, 2017, 06:34:19 PM »
Just worked 10 hours straight without eating. Yaaaaay...

Thank goodness coffee dulls the hunger pains.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3842 on: June 08, 2017, 07:15:26 PM »
Just worked 10 hours straight without eating. Yaaaaay...

Thank goodness coffee dulls the hunger pains.

Between your diet, sleep, and work habits, no joke: you gotta learn to be nicer to yourself.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3843 on: June 08, 2017, 07:28:27 PM »
Please take better care of yourself, Atra. People actually die from that shit.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3844 on: June 08, 2017, 07:40:54 PM »
Work is Atra's life.  If he dies working that's just ascension to a higher plane.  Probably where there is a 6 day work week.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #3845 on: June 08, 2017, 07:49:34 PM »
tis a shame he is no longer a wizard, to sacrifice so much for the human experience  :'(

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #3846 on: June 08, 2017, 09:22:32 PM »
too bad you threw that chubby girl in the bushes, I bet she would have cooked a meal for u and gave you some head tonight but nah you had to fuck it up  :doge

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3847 on: June 08, 2017, 09:26:30 PM »
lol like that's better than posting on the bore.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3848 on: June 08, 2017, 09:37:18 PM »
I would've kept her around longer if she didn't feel the need to text me while I was deep in the weeds on some website that needed to be finished before someone in management threw a shit fit.

And she admitted she wasn't much of a cook.

edit: Also, being highly introverted, I only have so much energy to dedicate to people. Being in a relationship and working with people all day drained me so fucking fast. It was frightening.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 09:44:48 PM by Atramental »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #3849 on: June 08, 2017, 09:48:02 PM »
living with autism is hard, but we manage

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #3850 on: June 08, 2017, 11:20:29 PM »
Excuses are like tampons atra
dur

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3851 on: June 08, 2017, 11:23:45 PM »
I would've kept her around longer if she didn't feel the need to text me while I was deep in the weeds on some website that needed to be finished before someone in management threw a shit fit.

edit: Also, being highly introverted, I only have so much energy to dedicate to people. Being in a relationship and working with people all day drained me so fucking fast. It was frightening.

Real talk, being messaged endlessly is bad, but how many of those messages landed when any normal human would have been off work, but you were still hammering away at 10PM?

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #3852 on: June 08, 2017, 11:31:43 PM »
plus, text messages don't require immediate response. If you're too busy, you just don't answer until you're able

bluemax

« Reply #3853 on: June 08, 2017, 11:35:30 PM »
living with autism is hard, but we manage

I have been at my job for 3 weeks and have already sort of picked up the responsibility of translating the junior engineer with tourettes for the non engineering people.
NO

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3854 on: June 09, 2017, 07:36:10 AM »

Real talk, being messaged endlessly is bad, but how many of those messages landed when any normal human would have been off work, but you were still hammering away at 10PM?
I go to bed early too. Usually around 8:30pm. She stays up to 3:00am because she works 3rd shift at a retail job.  :yeshrug

So when I got home around 6pm the last thing I wanted to do was text someone who I had a mild thing for but quickly turned into annoyance because I didn't realize how needy she was and how socially distant I can become when I'm juggling both work and a relationship. (Things were good when I was on Christmas break, tho.)

Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 07:42:18 AM by Atramental »

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3855 on: June 09, 2017, 10:41:28 AM »
Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register:doge

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3856 on: June 09, 2017, 12:29:22 PM »
I go to bed early too. Usually around 8:30pm.

:crazy
ど助平

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3857 on: June 09, 2017, 01:07:36 PM »
If I have to work 10 hours I rather work from 6am to 5pm than 9am to 8pm.

My quality of work is much higher if I get a good chunk of it done before lunchtime.

Also, beating morning traffic is great because SC traffic is generally a fucking mess most days.

Huff

« Reply #3858 on: June 09, 2017, 07:50:05 PM »
So the thing about happy hour is when everyone bails you just crush drinks and now I'm hammered
dur

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3859 on: June 09, 2017, 09:03:52 PM »
A coworker of mine who has been begging for the opportunity was put on a sink or swim project. I've been trying to give them guidance on how to go about completing their deliverable. The first few weeks were gentle rejections of my advice and this last week was outright hostility even though they were coming to me for advice. Their manager has also been trying to provide guidance but it has also gone ignored. Against our advice they asked for an extended timeline and a lower target. It was begrudgingly accepted by upper management and yesterday they told me they has only completed %15 of what was required and it was due today.

They told me their plan for presentation and to basically say "it's too hard." I tried to explain that they needed to communicate better and be precise in how they defended themselves. I'm friends with her manager and they talked to me about it as well. I work closely with the Director who owns the project and told the manager the same thing that they needed to phrase it and present it in a certain way - basically provide solutions to the problems, not just whining. I heard the manager talking to her and then some yelling from my coworker saying that's just not how she works and a bunch of other crap.

So we go into the presentation and from the moment she starts speaking it just blows up. She basically blamed everyone, provided no path forward, wouldn't make eye contact, cried and could give no specific answers.

It's so frustrating to watch someone completely destroy their career in such a trivial way. She was just so stubborn and would not accept any help. I felt like I needed a shower afterwards.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3860 on: June 09, 2017, 09:18:46 PM »
*TFW when I've passed every sink or swim project that I was given*  :snob

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3861 on: June 09, 2017, 10:02:49 PM »
If I have to work 10 hours I rather work from 6am to 5pm than 9am to 8pm.

My quality of work is much higher if I get a good chunk of it done before lunchtime.

Also, beating morning traffic is great because SC traffic is generally a fucking mess most days.

I hear you on the early hours. Being in the office with no-one to distract me, I had a run at one company where I had completed everything on my to-do list by 10AM every day, for several months.

Yeah, I had to get up at 5:30AM to be at the office that early, and despite the flex-time that was inherent in our contract, the senior management passive-aggressively had an Associate Producer arrive at the office earlier and earlier each morning, hoping to catch me not there when I said I was. This AP gradually grew more haggard and exhausted because his commute was 2 hours, so he was getting up at 3:30 or 4AM to "catch me."

Oddly, no-one in management ever realized they could simply look at the dev room's keycard lock history to verify that I was there at 6AM every day. :lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3862 on: June 12, 2017, 03:39:36 AM »
Working on a perfect weather day, windows and screen doors carrying a beautiful breeze through my home office while I work…

…and the construction crew next door is breaking out with their paint thinner for the end-of-day cleanup, all of which is coming in on the breeze.

bluemax

« Reply #3863 on: June 13, 2017, 09:15:34 PM »
Went in to work early and left two hours early so I could be home by 4 for a 4-6 window of having my junk car towed.

It is 6:15 and no word from the towing company. When I call the number I have it says they closed at 4:30pm. FML.
NO

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3864 on: June 13, 2017, 11:50:14 PM »
Wrote this whole thing once, accidentally closed the browser window, lost everything.  :maf

Client finally responded with some assets. Still not /all/ the assets, just some. Jesus, this is getting old.

Trimming some subscriptions I've not been using: Marvel Unlimited, I am not reading enough to rationalize this monthly expense. The website mis-renders on Mac's Safari so I couldn't even log in; used Chrome, killed it.  :doge

Am at Amazon now, going to kill my USA Prime membership because it doesn't help me in Japan. Looks like Amazon has removed region restrictions for things they made (e.g. Man in the High Castle), but not other people's stuff (The Wire, Sicario, etc.). Oddly, their standard music streaming now works in Japan, and now I'm not sure if I want to kill it any longer. :-/ It always comes in handy when I need a rush-order during USA visits.

Speaking of those, trying to book plane tickets for next month, everything is more than $100 more expensive than yesterday. And Expedia's site is being a little PITA.  :-\

Who do you guys go through for plane tickets?

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3865 on: June 14, 2017, 01:28:15 AM »
I'm in the same boat as you for the plane tickets. Gonna move/leave Japan around August I hope, and the plane tickets are disgustingly expensive. The only website that had reasonable (but still expensive) tickets were bravofly.com. My regular booking site wanted fucking 50万円.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3866 on: June 14, 2017, 02:37:29 AM »
I'm in the same boat as you for the plane tickets. Gonna move/leave Japan around August I hope, and the plane tickets are disgustingly expensive. The only website that had reasonable (but still expensive) tickets were bravofly.com. My regular booking site wanted fucking 50万円.

Holy shit.

That's expensive.

Is that a one-way ticket, or are you going to look into a round trip and just abandon the second flight? Sometimes one-way flights are more expensive than round-trip.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3867 on: June 14, 2017, 02:46:55 AM »
It's me + the kid. She'll be 2 years so she's required to have her own seat which costs almost the same as an adult.

I've yet to find any cheaper one-way tickets (plus I think it'll look bad to leave Japan as a foreigner with a Japanese child on a one-way ticket, lol. I will leave with the right custody papers but I still would wanna avoid that kinda trouble). Luckily there are many routes to get to my hometown, but most websites are fully booked or just too pricey. I think the cheapest I found so far is 20万円, which isn't too far from what we've had to pay in the past. More planes = more expensive. It takes 2 transits to get home. :<

Which websites have you checked on?

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #3868 on: June 14, 2017, 03:52:36 AM »
Last week I noticed there were a lot of very cheap flights from late Summer to Fall (IE: $650 round trip from San Francisco to Rome) but then apparently that was also noticed on a bunch of deals forums and so now those flights did jump about $100. I haven't had a vacation in.....five years I think so I held a fare at $750 for mid-August. I'm gonna watch it for a week before pulling the trigger.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3869 on: June 14, 2017, 04:03:20 AM »
Just make sure you're always browsing for flights in Incognito Mode. Lots if scummy websites will jack up their prices on returning visitors. Now that Google owns all your data, simply clearing your cookies won't work.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3870 on: June 14, 2017, 10:38:46 AM »
It's me + the kid. She'll be 2 years so she's required to have her own seat which costs almost the same as an adult.

I've yet to find any cheaper one-way tickets (plus I think it'll look bad to leave Japan as a foreigner with a Japanese child on a one-way ticket, lol. I will leave with the right custody papers but I still would wanna avoid that kinda trouble). Luckily there are many routes to get to my hometown, but most websites are fully booked or just too pricey. I think the cheapest I found so far is 20万円, which isn't too far from what we've had to pay in the past. More planes = more expensive. It takes 2 transits to get home. :<

Which websites have you checked on?
Just Expedia. Your site returned better results, though I'm not sure about China Eastern Airlines' uneven reputation.

Just make sure you're always browsing for flights in Incognito Mode. Lots if scummy websites will jack up their prices on returning visitors. Now that Google owns all your data, simply clearing your cookies won't work.
Shit, I bet that's what happened. I should have known about this trick; thanks for the heads-up.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #3871 on: June 14, 2017, 09:07:14 PM »
Omg how is it only Wednesday

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3872 on: June 14, 2017, 09:21:14 PM »
Work be like:

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3873 on: June 15, 2017, 04:32:53 PM »
Got a letter in the mail a few days back saying my insurance is being terminated this week. Why? I evidently didn't provide proof of residence, because they never fucking asked for it. The best part? The deadline for receiving said proof of residence was in fucking November. Fuck MassHealth.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3874 on: June 19, 2017, 01:11:48 PM »
So I'm not actually getting kicked off, but my status is now "inactive" and thus I'm not covered for anything, but I can't get any reason why or anyone to change my status, so I can't apply for a new plan, or seek any medical attention. Fuck

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #3875 on: June 19, 2017, 03:12:13 PM »
So I'm not actually getting kicked off, but my status is now "inactive" and thus I'm not covered for anything, but I can't get any reason why or anyone to change my status, so I can't apply for a new plan, or seek any medical attention. Fuck

That really sucks. I'm sure it'll eventually get resolved in a few weeks as you gradually get more frustrated but the phone ping pong gets tiring.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3876 on: June 22, 2017, 06:46:56 PM »
I'm at this weird crossroads in my life where I'm trying to decide if I should keep on going down the graphic design path or start going down the illustration & concept art path. 

:larry

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3877 on: June 22, 2017, 06:53:41 PM »
I'm at this weird crossroads in my life where I'm trying to decide if I should keep on going down the graphic design path or start going down the illustration & concept art path. 

:larry

Are you trained as a concept artist or illustrator?

Those are substantially more competitive fields than graphic design, which has a far greater number of available positions. Art Center and Cal Arts, as well as any number of schools and online centers are churning out concept artists every year.

On the other hand, you need to feel actualized in your work, especially if you have a tendency to overwork.

What's your plan?

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3878 on: June 22, 2017, 07:38:04 PM »
Not formally. But I know if I dedicated more time and effort to my drawing ability that I could produce much better work than I do now.

Those are substantially more competitive fields than graphic design, which has a far greater number of available positions. Art Center and Cal Arts, as well as any number of schools and online centers are churning out concept artists every year.

On the other hand, you need to feel actualized in your work, especially if you have a tendency to overwork.

What's your plan?
Competition doesn't skeeve me out too much. If anything it makes me better and helps me hone in on what makes me unique.

I'm thinking about going the online course route instead of enrolling at an uber expensive brick & mortar school.

Noah Bradley's (Illustrator & Concept Artist) Medium article definitely inspired this:
https://medium.com/i-m-h-o/dont-go-to-art-school-138c5efd45e9

On the subject of actualization: Yeah... I don't see myself designing website after boring website into my 30s. It fucking drains me so much. And there's really only one thing that I love to design and that's logos but logo projects are so few & far between.

I'm still working on my "escape plan" but one big part of it is moving in with my brother and potentially working part-time as a designer at the agency I'm at now or at another agency so I can still easily pay rent & bills. Then during the rest of my time I would dedicate it to taking online courses, drawing whenever I could, and possibly doing freelance illustration gigs to help build up my own network of clients.

And hell, if this illustration shit doesn't work out I can always go back to designing websites.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3879 on: June 22, 2017, 07:41:32 PM »
Not formally. But I know if I dedicated more time and effort to my drawing ability that I could produce much better work than I do now.

Know the feeling.  My art is never done. 

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3880 on: June 22, 2017, 07:45:45 PM »

Know the feeling.  My art is never done.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3881 on: June 22, 2017, 10:21:14 PM »
Me to my boss:

"K I need to fire these two guys."

Boss: "OK fire guy #1 today."
"K"
Boss: "Oh and fire these 4 other guys from offshore."
"Uh, K, but what about guy #2? He's just eating up my budget and not adding value."
Boss: "Give him 4 more weeks."
"But, I could use that budget for other"
Boss: "Yeah, 4 more weeks will be great."

:goty
que

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3882 on: June 23, 2017, 12:01:04 AM »
Me to my boss:

"K I need to fire these two guys."

Boss: "OK fire guy #1 today."
"K"
Boss: "Oh and fire these 4 other guys from offshore."
"Uh, K, but what about guy #2? He's just eating up my budget and not adding value."
Boss: "Give him 4 more weeks."
"But, I could use that budget for other"
Boss: "Yeah, 4 more weeks will be great."

:goty

Just shoot guy #2. Or hire one of the offshore guys to do it.

Tasty

« Reply #3883 on: June 23, 2017, 12:09:51 AM »
<dialog>

This is why everyone hates you, Mozilla. You don't support what web devs want so they target Chrome, and users follow. Fuck you.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #3884 on: June 24, 2017, 11:22:58 AM »
When you visit your family once a year due to distance etc and you want your kid to behave and be at her best but nope

When you visit your family once a year and your dad has to give you parenting "tips"*

*from 80's communist Poland

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3885 on: June 24, 2017, 11:26:31 AM »
When you visit your fatherland once a year and get reminded of how backwards the mentality is of many here and you know you could never fit in again

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3886 on: June 24, 2017, 11:29:24 AM »
When you forget yout daughters favourite stuffed animal in a hotel 400km away

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3887 on: June 25, 2017, 11:29:29 PM »
HOLY SHIT, TWITTER IS FUCKING GARBAGE.  :doge

I've got a regular account, and another for my business. The mobile app allows switching accounts on-the-fly, but not the web browser interface.

Resetting passwords is a pain in the ass.

In this case, doubly-so, because it's registered with a mail account I have also forgotten its password, and for which my forwarding service turned out to have long-ago lost the pwd.

So I find a webmail access for that email, so I can reset the Twitter account's password, so I can log in to it and also grant tweedeck access, which also floods my inbox with a bunch of garbage from the email's months of neglect.

Here I am, I've been doing nothing but account maintenance and password shenanigans and email cleanup for 2.5 hours.

Jesus.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #3888 on: June 25, 2017, 11:42:46 PM »
Get yourself a password manager. I recommend Keepass. It's a standalone program, so you don't have to trust an online service with your passwords. You can achieve the same thing with a simple txt file, BUT txt files don't have a neat auto-type function or a built-in password generator. That may not alleviate the account switching hassles much, but it will ensure you don't forget any passwords in the future.

Well, provided you don't ever forget/misplace the password to the encrypted database. God help you if you do. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 12:11:08 AM by Rufus »

Huff

« Reply #3889 on: June 27, 2017, 08:29:34 AM »
No, but I stopped hanging out with high schoolers after I graduated
dur

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #3890 on: June 27, 2017, 08:59:36 AM »
google hangouts fucking sucks
fat

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3891 on: June 27, 2017, 09:06:14 AM »
Huh, how isn't Google Hangout nuked yet?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #3892 on: June 27, 2017, 09:10:07 AM »
they got rid of old google chat and now its all this hangout shit
fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3893 on: June 27, 2017, 07:59:27 PM »

WTF is wrong with Hangouts?

For my part, it took Google Voice and Google's chat stuff, integrated it. I can make free calls to USA phones from my international cellphone, for which Google Voice required a separate app (because: International), and text/voice/everything is integrated into Inbox.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #3894 on: June 27, 2017, 09:15:04 PM »
It me.

I better get one FAT fucking promotion after July is over with.

The new site I'm working on for my company should skyrocket our conversions/sales because our current one is a fucking dumpster fire by comparison.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3895 on: June 27, 2017, 10:31:08 PM »
good luck

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3896 on: June 27, 2017, 10:31:53 PM »
Also please note that I meant that sarcastically, slave 

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3897 on: June 27, 2017, 11:00:36 PM »

WTF is wrong with Hangouts?

For my part, it took Google Voice and Google's chat stuff, integrated it. I can make free calls to USA phones from my international cellphone, for which Google Voice required a separate app (because: International), and text/voice/everything is integrated into Inbox.
Oh nothing, I'm just surprised to learn that people still use it. Thought it had died off as fast as Google Plus did.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #3898 on: June 28, 2017, 12:45:46 AM »
i believe in you atra

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #3899 on: June 28, 2017, 09:44:33 PM »
I guess Photobucket is shit now or has been whatever something something but I can't be assed to rehost an avatar rn