Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4209142 times)

Uncle

• Have You Ever
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #33660 on: April 12, 2019, 03:21:08 PM »
Oh that’s supposed to be Palpatine? Sounded like Hamill joker laughter to me

Dude I thought the same thing
Uncle

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #33661 on: April 12, 2019, 03:43:48 PM »
Why :clap is :clap Palpoutine :clap white?

Because LucasFilms never even gave him the chance to be a black woman.
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #33662 on: April 12, 2019, 03:48:13 PM »
So is this the first time there are two black Star Wars in the same movie at once? History has been made brehs
IYKYK

kingv

« Reply #33663 on: April 12, 2019, 03:50:23 PM »
I kind of had the realization this trilogy would be a shit show once they revealed that they planned a trilogy of movies but didn’t have any real ideas about the arc of the three movies. They just wrote them all individually.

Himu

« Reply #33664 on: April 12, 2019, 03:51:05 PM »
I kind of had the realization this trilogy would be a shit show once they revealed that they planned a trilogy of movies but didn’t have any real ideas about the arc of the three movies. They just wrote them all individually.

But they revealed that after Ep VIII right?
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #33665 on: April 12, 2019, 04:10:55 PM »
Mega64 proven prophets once again, spoiling the Papa Palpa revival four years ago

Tasty

« Reply #33666 on: April 12, 2019, 04:12:19 PM »

Well that's how the first trilogy was done and it worked out pretty decently. The one that was all planned out is literally just constant memes now.

Ehhhhhh ESB clearly ended on a note that implied George knew where this whole thing was going, I didn't get that impression at all from TLJ's ending + the fact that they switched directors on 9 before 8 was out was in the back of my head.

Tasty

« Reply #33667 on: April 12, 2019, 04:13:12 PM »
You either need one guy supervising the whole trilogy, or a plan.

Star Wars sequel trilogy had neither. I'm disappointed in myself that I put so much faith in the "SW Story Committee" to come up with said plan.

Tasty

« Reply #33668 on: April 12, 2019, 04:17:07 PM »
Rich should play Palpatine. He's got the better cackle, no question.

That would probably give Mike an aneurysm considering he's brought up how salty he is over neu-Palpatine's VA in multiple different videos. :lol

Tasty

« Reply #33669 on: April 12, 2019, 04:23:11 PM »
People shit on Marvel but the reason they're so successful is because they have both (one guy supervising + a master plan.) Kevin Feige locked down the last five years of movies ahead of time (well, not counting the Inhumans kerfuffle.)

And he did that for like 12 films, not 3. From the outside, it seems odd one Disney studio couldn't learn from another, but then again it starts to make sense when you realize how much ego drives Hollywood, and obviously there are some kind of walls between Marvel and Lucasfilm just because of how they were acquired by Disney.

Himu

« Reply #33670 on: April 12, 2019, 04:24:56 PM »
More than likely, Disney was more hands off because they wanted the complete opposite of prequel trilogy.

They figured making Star Wars was hard to fuck up. Like making mash potatoes, or a packet of ramen.
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #33671 on: April 12, 2019, 04:30:33 PM »
Peter Strickland (Berberian Sound Studio) makes another unclassifiable yet delightful and genuine oddity with In Fabric.
Berberian Sound Studio and Duke of Burgundy are 10/10s, so i'll give this a watch too.
I can't find a proper trailer tho.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #33672 on: April 12, 2019, 04:34:05 PM »
neither could I. Nor a proper poster. A24 has already bought it so there will be a proper release and some marketing for it eventually, but for now its making the festival rounds for what I predict to be its only ever well attended showings.

To be fair, to call this film and his previous ones 'Marketing Challenges' would be an understatement

and I gotta get on Duke of Burgundy, BSS tis indeed way awesome.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #33673 on: April 12, 2019, 04:36:53 PM »
People shit on Marvel but the reason they're so successful is because they have both (one guy supervising + a master plan.) Kevin Feige locked down the last five years of movies ahead of time (well, not counting the Inhumans kerfuffle.)

And he did that for like 12 films, not 3. From the outside, it seems odd one Disney studio couldn't learn from another, but then again it starts to make sense when you realize how much ego drives Hollywood, and obviously there are some kind of walls between Marvel and Lucasfilm just because of how they were acquired by Disney.
:bobby

kingv

« Reply #33674 on: April 12, 2019, 04:38:39 PM »

But they revealed that after Ep VIII right?

I think it was around the time it came out.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33675 on: April 12, 2019, 05:38:14 PM »
Well, it's working tbh.  :whew

what are you most excited about?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
dog

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #33676 on: April 12, 2019, 06:59:37 PM »
neither could I. Nor a proper poster. A24 has already bought it so there will be a proper release and some marketing for it eventually, but for now its making the festival rounds for what I predict to be its only ever well attended showings.

To be fair, to call this film and his previous ones 'Marketing Challenges' would be an understatement

and I gotta get on Duke of Burgundy, BSS tis indeed way awesome.
Do it, that movie is wild, and even better than BSS.

nudemacusers

« Reply #33677 on: April 12, 2019, 08:08:07 PM »
Lmao at Disney pulling a nostalgia driven course correct after the last Jedi
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Himu

« Reply #33678 on: April 13, 2019, 01:47:42 AM »
The Red Violin

My old favorite. I had been thinking of this movie a lot the past few days and then HyperZone goes and posts about a film that reminds me of it. I found the old classic (to me) on Netflix. It still satisfies just like when it did upon release. An epic across centuries of one singular violin and its various owners, from the Italian renaissance to modern day. The cinematography is perfect. The mise en scene shots make me fucking wet. I'm so shocked that this film is still so. fucking. good. Usually things you loved when you were 14 suck when you're in your 30's, not Red Violin. :bow And that music, that captivating music! I. Love. This. Movie.
IYKYK

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #33679 on: April 13, 2019, 01:58:09 AM »
I've been liking these cindi movie reviews lately, please keep recommending
每天生气

Himu

« Reply #33680 on: April 13, 2019, 03:08:49 AM »
Up In The Air

You know those movies you mean to watch, then end up forgetting to and it's a full decade later? Yeah.

I finally watched this this. Apparently it has a lot of cred and is considered a modern classic. I liked it. It was pretty good.  The ending was ambiguous enough to leave to interpretation and I felt it was a massive kick to reality since I fully expected a happy ending. Great subversion of expectations here. The cinematography is top notch. The most famous is probably this high shot that occurs at the end of a montage.

I personally prefer a scene later on when Clooney's character is all alone. Jeez, what a tear jerker. I thought it was pretty good but it didn't really stick with me in any way. In a lot of ways it feels like a modern Ikiru but with far less positive spin.

3/4 stars over here.

Battleship Potemkin

Continuing the silent film marathon.

One of those movies I've always felt was conflicting.

On one hand, its Odessa Steps sequence is arguably the most famous montage in film history. Probably one of - if not THE - earliest films I can remember being made taking advantage of camera angles and using the visual medium to its fullest advantages. I don't recall any movie before this using telephoto lens to zoom on characters in this manner with close ups, high shots to evoke weakness, low shots to evoke power. Maybe Nosferatu?

On the other hand, it's pretty clearly communist propaganda in a laughable way. The steps scene which it's most famous for is in many ways hilarious now rather than shocking in how it tries to emotionally manipulate the audience. It's hard not to laugh.

For what it is I've never felt it was a good movie, and rewatching it hasn't changed that for me. Metropolis, Modern Times, or Passion of Joan of Arc it is not. D.W. Griffith on steroids with the backing of a fascist state.

Rating 2/4 stars.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 04:04:05 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #33681 on: April 13, 2019, 11:26:15 AM »
So is this the first time there are two black Star Wars in the same movie at once? History has been made brehs

I mean, yes and no - depending on whether you meant actors or characters - can't tell from your post.

Prequels had SLJ obviously, James Earl Jones voicing Vader (albeit briefly...). Mocap and voice acting for Jar-jar was done by Ahmed Best

Himu

« Reply #33682 on: April 13, 2019, 11:28:15 AM »
Characters.
IYKYK

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #33683 on: April 13, 2019, 11:29:59 AM »
Then SLJ and Padme's bodyguard or whatever?

Himu

« Reply #33684 on: April 13, 2019, 11:36:16 AM »
In my silent marathon I've watched some Griffith (ugh), Eisenstein , Keaton, and Chaplin. I'm going to watch Joan of Arc and then finish the era up with German silent film. Can't wait because it's the best of the era easily.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 11:42:18 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33685 on: April 13, 2019, 01:20:12 PM »
Someone get me the long winded extremely detailed EU explanation of where different races of humans came from

©@©™

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #33686 on: April 13, 2019, 01:37:45 PM »
I love fiction wikis.
Humans were a species of sentient, bipedal mammals with bilateral symmetry native to the planet Coruscant. They were commonly encountered throughout the galaxy, from the bountiful planet of Naboo to the desert world of Tatooine. They were known to engage in many different pursuits, from politics to bounty hunting. Species that bore structural resemblance to humans were referred to as "humanoids."
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Human

The actual section says they're "arguably" from Coruscant, but I can't be fucked to look at the references to find out why.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33687 on: April 13, 2019, 02:44:55 PM »
I watched Dreamscape for the first time last night. It was a fun little movie. Kate Capshaw is terrible in everything, but Dennis Quaid, Max Von Sydow, Christopher Plummer, and the "WAAAAAAARRIIIIIIIIIIORS!" guy are great.
©@©™

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #33688 on: April 13, 2019, 03:30:03 PM »
Watched us. It’s was uhh interesting. But I do think the logic issues keep it from being “good”. The actual horror! stuff was entertaining
dur

Himu

« Reply #33689 on: April 13, 2019, 06:43:37 PM »
I really liked that movie.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #33690 on: April 13, 2019, 07:15:08 PM »
Not film (as in, a story-based movie) but related to film.

IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33691 on: April 13, 2019, 07:43:33 PM »
dog

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #33692 on: April 14, 2019, 03:10:00 AM »
sorta reminds me of the first hidden camera footage

also mute this, some dork added sound effects in 2014 for some gay ass reason

Himu

« Reply #33693 on: April 14, 2019, 04:01:05 AM »
Nosferatu, 1922, Murnau

Horror is, in my opinion, the worst movie genre. Not because they're scary, but because they're typically boring or dog shit outside of a few classics (Jacob's Ladder, The Shining, The Thing, Alien, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead). Horror is almost never engaging for me unless the story stands on its own and it works as a socio-political work (Jacob's Ladder), psychological horror (also Jacob's Ladder), is riveting (Alien, Psycho), or it's just fun because it's mindless/cheesy filth with cool visuals/effects (Evil Dead 1/2, Nightmare on Elm Street;etc). I would rather play a horror game than watch a horror movie. Low Hanging Fruit: The Genre.

Nosferatu, what some argue is the first horror film (although it actually isn't), is really no different in that I admire the technical achievements obtained but fucking hell is it boring in a "how much do I have left? Fuck. 30 minutes? Kill me" sort of way. I'm really looking forward to watching more German stuff tomorrow so I can forget about this travesty again.

1 1/2 bored horror snores out of 4

Cops, 1922, Keaton

Hilarious. One built up gag after another and all for a woman's love.

3 seesaw stunts out of 4

City Lights, Chaplin, 1931

An emotional, riveting, hilarious, beautifully written self contained tale. I had never seen it before and it's easily my favorite Chaplin after watching. In this Tramp adventure he runs into a blind girl he falls head over heels for who struggles caring for the needs of her and her grandma. He also encounters a rich man that hilariously loves him while he's drunk but doesn't know who the Tramp is while sober. The result is hilarious and emotional antics that lends to extremely rich storytelling and even more resonant ending. Chaplin shows off perhaps his greatest range of acting here. You end up thinking him a real person. The master of the close up of his era he uses the camera in such a way that truly shows off the emotive story telling of film acting. By this time he has fully mastered his craft. Classic stuff.

4 shocked Tramp faces out of 4.

Modern Times, Chaplin, 1936

THE classic. A culmination of decades of work where multiple sets and storylines from past Chaplin flicks are rearranged and improved upon in all their glory. The cinematography is incredible. The emotive acting without overly relying on title cards for this movie makes it all the stronger. Made nearly ten years since the advent of sound, a film about the great depression during the great depression, this film has balls. And despite its age remains utterly beautiful.

Years ago this was my first introduction to Chaplin and it still resonates to this day.

It's fucking hilarious.

It is beautifully shot.

It tells a great story and it exudes timeless classic.

4 non-sensical songs out of 4

The General, Keaton, 1926

Apparently Keaton broke his neck while filming this movie. That's the kind of dedication this film required and he pushes the envelope with this action-heavy civil war romp that is so good it has you rooting for a confederate.

3 "how could I ever root for a confederate other than Buster?"'s out of 4

Chaplin vs Keaton

Before this marathon, I was more familiar with Chaplin than Keaton. Keaton, in present time, doesn't seem to get his due by comparison. Although I prefer Chaplin for his emphasis on character, I still really get a kick out of Buster. In his own way, his philosophy and storytelling are as riveting as Chaplin's but they're presented in much different ways. Keaton loves wide shots to emphasize action and stunts; Chaplin loves close ups to show off character chemistry and characterization. Both make stories about overcoming odds. Buster's almost always finding luck out of a situation through the sheer laws of the universe. Tramp shows his true morale character through good deeds. Both make me feel good but I ultimately love Chaplin for his storytelling. He is more my type of artist but that doesn't change that both are greats of their era that deserved every bit of adulation.

Also, and I just want to add: both were hot short guys.
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33694 on: April 14, 2019, 07:38:52 AM »
Watched the Highwaymen.

Kevin Costner has gotten old but it was nice to see him as a 'good guy' again.
Kevin and Woody did a great job overall and it was an o.k. film. The movie had a lot more threads dangling that they didn't bother to tie up.
Which kinda removes some of the tension from the plot (after all, you already know how this is going to end).

Molly's Game (2017):

I'd rank this as "Pretty Good" on my scale of Bad-Great. Great performances from Idris Elbow and Jessica Chastain (of course, is she ever not great?) It starts off so strong and snappy and is able to keep that pace up for quite a while, but the last act start getting quite repetitive and it ends up feeling like I saw the same scene 5 times in a row. I don't know the real story but I'm assuming Sorkin took quite a few liberties based on his other works and penchant for bloviation. I feel like the in depth poker hand stuff probably wasn't particularly necessary, and doing multiple scenes of it is what made me start to feel the drag around that part of the movie. Reminded me a lot of I, Tanya.
Jessica carries that movie, as she does with more movies. I remember enjoying it quite a bit.
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #33695 on: April 14, 2019, 09:37:05 AM »
Been a while but I remember liking Nosferatu quite a bit... like it wasn't amazing but man that German expressionism was on point.

@Himu Now you can watch Shadow of the Vampire, a fictional retelling of how Nosferatu was made, starring Willem Defoe as a real vampire as Count Orlok.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #33696 on: April 14, 2019, 10:19:28 AM »
I remember liking Embrace of the Vampire. I can't put my finger on it, but something about it really resonated with me

Tasty

« Reply #33697 on: April 14, 2019, 10:30:30 AM »
Horror is, in my opinion, the worst movie genre. Not because they're scary, but because they're typically boring or dog shit outside of a few classics (Jacob's Ladder, The Shining, The Thing, Alien, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead). Horror is almost never engaging for me unless the story stands on its own and it works as a socio-political work (Jacob's Ladder), psychological horror (also Jacob's Ladder), is riveting (Alien, Psycho), or it's just fun because it's mindless/cheesy filth with cool visuals/effects (Evil Dead 1/2, Nightmare on Elm Street;etc). I would rather play a horror game than watch a horror movie. Low Hanging Fruit: The Genre.

So... you're saying like good movies...? :lol

But there's a lot of good horror movies that aren't just the classics. :) Even (some would say especially) in the last ten years.

Himu

« Reply #33698 on: April 14, 2019, 12:01:45 PM »

So... you're saying like good movies...? :lol

But there's a lot of good horror movies that aren't just the classics. :) Even (some would say especially) in the last ten years.

I have seen Cabin in the Woods and I’m a big fan of Let The Right One In. I really liked both the book and Swedish film. I’ve also seen Get Out, and I’ve been meaning to watch It. For the most part I don’t have any draw to watch horror movies unless it’s really, really good. :idont

I really don’t find Vampires interesting as a fear making device. If you can’t tell by my post, I’m all about story and characters - I like drama, not “scares”. Think more Interview With the Vampire. Which is more drama than horror.

It’s just not my genre when it comes to a film setting. This isn’t a judgement on anyone that likes them. I’m sure many horror fans find the movies I like to be boring and that’s fine. Tastes are subjective. I REALLY horror games, though.

FWIW, I feel similarly about many other genres: rom coms, biopics (especially music biopics). They just bore me.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 12:51:59 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33699 on: April 14, 2019, 02:37:04 PM »
Lesbian vampires tho  :clap
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #33700 on: April 14, 2019, 02:56:42 PM »
Vampires are probably the single worst/most boring creature/monsters to set a story around. There's never been an interesting vampire movie that isn't a parody or satire. The closest to a non-satire/parody vampire movie that's good is Shadow of The Vampire. Any and all straight vampire movies are :trash

Fright Night breh

Himu

« Reply #33701 on: April 14, 2019, 03:22:49 PM »
This 100 year old silent movie that is a bootleg of a boring as hell book to begin with is boring, ergo horror movies are the worst genre.

Eh.

I don’t like it BECAUSE it falls in line with many of the reasons I don’t like most horror.

- flat characters that do stupid shit constantly. I’m going to keep staying in this man’s house despite finding him sleeping inside a coffin! I get deep nightmares while staying here at night and it all goes away during the day time but I’m going to keep staying because I’m fucking dumb. Doesn’t believe and waves off every warning of danger for no reason other than driving the plot and getting him to the next location out of convenience.

- simple story that can be summarized in less than ten words: vampire moves across the street, terrorizes people. There’s no emphasis on story or character but on creating “tension” to scare audiences. The scare is given more emphasis than the story or characters. This is a common problem in horror.

- predictability

- this all leads to a boring movie. A lot of horror is boring to me because they expect you to care about these people without establishing character or story. Their focus isn’t even on character or story. It might be on gore, frights, or visual effects which is why I called it low hanging fruit.

But again, there are similar issues with other genres. Comedy is one, but comedy is subjective. Someone might find Blazing Saddles offensive whereas I find it hilarious. Others loved Soul Plane, I thought it fucking sucked. But horror’s tropes tend to be widespread in the genre.

Essentially, in order for horror to be good (or any movie really), there must be an emphasis on story and character. Most horror movies doesn't even get that far and when it does often it can be very lazy and drenched with tropes. Every genre has trash but with horror, more than any genre, it feels like there’s more far more chaff than wheat.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #33702 on: April 14, 2019, 05:03:46 PM »
:idont

I readily admit it’s not really my genre although I like to partake once in a while. I don’t judge anyone who loves the genre but I personally find even the best of the genre tends to succumb to the aforementioned issues because it’s their goal to scare you and there’s only few ways to manipulate the viewer in feeling that way through movie making which leads to embracing a certain formulae. Which leads to predictability. It’s a case of preference: you might like basketball, I like baseball. I’ll watch a basketball game now and then but I’d rather just watch baseball. You might find baseball boring. That’s fine. I find basketball boring as fuck. That’s also fine.

:yeshrug
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #33703 on: April 14, 2019, 05:11:22 PM »
Hmm that does make me think, the only genre that has almost no real cinematic value is rom-coms, but I'd love to be wrong about that.

Like, I enjoy a few of them, but they're like unflavored oatmeal for the most part... and IMO that's worse than "bad." Like the worst movies are either funny or make a good case study on what not to do.

I enjoy Love Actually, but it's not that great of a movie, really... Something About Mary feels more of a straight comedy. The only one I think is really good might be Crazy Stupid Love.

Himu

« Reply #33704 on: April 14, 2019, 05:48:11 PM »
Hmm that does make me think, the only genre that has almost no real cinematic value is rom-coms, but I'd love to be wrong about that.

Like, I enjoy a few of them, but they're like unflavored oatmeal for the most part... and IMO that's worse than "bad." Like the worst movies are either funny or make a good case study on what not to do.

I enjoy Love Actually, but it's not that great of a movie, really... Something About Mary feels more of a straight comedy. The only one I think is really good might be Crazy Stupid Love.

Romance comedy has value. See: Some Like It Hot. But like horror it’s a low hanging fruit genre.

On second thought, dance and Christian movies might have the least cinematic value. Dance movies tend to throw any semblance of story out the window as an excuse to dance. This is different from the musical which generally uses the music for a storytelling device.

Christian movies tho.

Film making language? What’s that?
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33705 on: April 14, 2019, 07:16:45 PM »
Christian sidehugs  :rejoice
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #33706 on: April 14, 2019, 07:49:22 PM »
you: i have cancer

me: GROW UP

:rejoice
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #33707 on: April 14, 2019, 08:46:25 PM »
Worst genres of anything start with "Christian" 9 times out of 10. Maybe painting is the 1.

Christian movies  :yuck

Christian rock  :yuck

Christian rap  :yuck

Christian games  :yuck

Christian plays  :yuck

Christian poetry  :yuck
Christian Christian Slater.

Tasty

« Reply #33708 on: April 14, 2019, 09:29:38 PM »
Chrischan :rejoice

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #33709 on: April 14, 2019, 11:16:19 PM »
I love Kenji Misumi films. Man knew how to frame a shot  :'(

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #33710 on: April 15, 2019, 03:38:29 AM »

:rejoice

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #33711 on: April 15, 2019, 09:20:03 PM »
Might do a Buster Keaton night. I still have like a dozen Fatty Arbuckle/Buster shorts I haven’t seen yet. Or I can just watch Sherlock Jr again.
serge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33712 on: April 15, 2019, 10:06:48 PM »
 Hellboy opened at $12 million, about half what the first one did at a 1/3rd of the second one. :whew
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #33713 on: April 15, 2019, 11:01:43 PM »
Man and all these shithead producers met with Del Toro like three years ago and he + Perlman were still trying to do the third film with them.

Schadenfreude maxima.

Himu

« Reply #33714 on: April 16, 2019, 03:49:44 AM »
Three Colors Trilogy - Blue (1993, Kieslowski)

A fatal car accident changes a wife and mother's life forever as her husband and daughter are killed. In her depressive state, she sells her home, all of her valuables, leaves everyone she knows to abscond herself from society. Yet try as she might she's still tethered to her tragic past. She fights and fights to forget, to hole herself up in her own world but can't. The visuals communicate this very clearly. Nearly every shot has something blue in it. Many shots are taken of her alone, or to further emphasize her loneliness she's contrasted with something. Either by emphasizing her silhouette through shadow or with regular, every day people living their lives. One such example is after swimming, she's surrounded by excited school children exhibiting a full range of motion and animation in the scene next to her tense, lonely frame. Just by showing motion against her lack of it communicates her current mental health.  The cinematography is so visual and personal that it often feels like you're in her head almost. Such is the power of film. It's hard for me to pick any one particular favorite shot. It could be that aforementioned pool shot. Or it could be the long take scene in the pool after a depressing, emotional scene where she jumps in the pool and the camera starts to pan, searching for her to finally come up for air that perfectly communicates the tension and her state of mind. I have a lot to love about this film. I feel it has much to say about the things we tie ourselves down to.

What a beautiful film. And the lead actress is hot.

4 stars

The Last Laugh (1924, Murnau)

A silent film with no title cards, Murnau shows even further promise as a director in this film made only two years after Nosferatu. Murnau plays with various storytelling elements that would later be embraced and improved upon in Sunrise. The Last Laugh is a powerful film that is an early example of the potential of the silver screen as an artistic medium. Being silent without title cards and yet still being an early 20's film, a lot of it still isn't entirely...polished. So you gets lots of dialogue without actually knowing what they're saying because there's no title cards. For a film that should rely entirely on the visuals it relies far too much on dialogue scenes rather than gesture. That said, it's a landmark film that full encapsulates the visual potential of the medium, eschewing the static German film making of its era. Cinematographer Karl Freund ups the standard for shots in this as they expand what's capable in film.

The first shot is in an elevator as it goes down in first person. Such a thing might seem basic but many German films before this were inspired by theater with static, boring shots that forgets that movies are supposed to move.

This inspired many film makers on the possibilities of the medium and helped put German film - particularly German expressionism - at the forefront of the silent era as an artistic movement.

And what a story. It takes about 10-20 minutes to get going but once it does it's golden. The only complaint is the ending which completely ruins it. Once that title card comes on just cut the movie off. It's over.

3 1/2 stars
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 04:13:12 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

nudemacusers

« Reply #33715 on: April 16, 2019, 04:14:34 AM »
Hellboy opened at $12 million, about half what the first one did at a 1/3rd of the second one. :whew
Three bad hellboy movies since 2004. Cursed franchise.  :(
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Himu

« Reply #33716 on: April 16, 2019, 10:57:40 PM »
Roma (2018, Netflix, Cuaron)

A film about family life in 1970's Mexico. Almost every shot is a long shot. I can count the number of medium shots on my hand, never mind the close ups. What a depressing, isolative film. Cuaron has always shown himself to be one of the best in the biz. With this film I feel like drinking after. Jesus Christ. What sustained me was the cinematography. So many takes are long. Like, it felt almost every shot was a bare minimum of 15 seconds. Good lord this must have been a daunting undertaking to film.

3 1/2 stars
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 11:03:03 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #33717 on: April 16, 2019, 11:16:03 PM »
I need something fun and happy after that shit. I'm renting Pacific Rim 2 from Amazon Video lmao.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #33718 on: April 17, 2019, 12:03:35 AM »
Been reading reviews of Roma and giggling.

https://www.thefourohfive.com/film/review/review-roma-a-painfully-boring-spanish-language-story-gets-a-monochrome-sheen-154

Why do men keep feeling the need to insinuate themselves in stories like Roma - which should be told by women? In this regard, Roma is an affront to realism... it's also boring as hell, all sizzle and zero steak.

:sabu

https://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/entertainment/movies/movie-review-roma-high-art-for-some-bird-droppings-for/article_8428d243-69a0-5f85-9d2b-dec226f9df22.html

You can count on it like clockwork. Every year, a (usually) low-budget art film from a (usually) non-major studio arrives on the scene and causes the majority of the critical community to fawn like groupies while hailing its praises and stumbling all over each other trying to come up with hosanna-like accolades that could make Shakespeare blush.

Sometimes, these movies go on to win Best Picture Oscars (“The Hurt Locker,” “The Artist,” “Birdman,” “Moonlight”), and most all of them tank at the box office. Although not required, ambiguity and being depressing helps their cause and offers continuing proof that the artistic community and Mr. and Mrs. Joe Luckbox are light-years apart.

Every year indie movies show that they exist!!!  :ohhh

Reddit comment:

I’m sorry but someone please help me understand what am I missing to see? How is it that critics ( who are human beings) call Roma to be a “masterpiece” or “tear jerker?” The movie has unmistakable great visual high quality fidelity and fantastic sound. But I watch movies for escapism and can even watch documentaries but this just high quality shit! The whole point of movies is to capture time that we can’t experience and see it through a artistic lenses, but this movie, it’s called life! And?! I’m tired of directors and actors trying to pull the ethic / sexism repression card on us and expect to be called masterpiece because of fear of being doxed or criticized. For real look at the nomination and you’ll see that half of the list is simply pushed for minority reasons. Is this what we come to, forget about quality and simply allow shit to pass through as long as it’s not going to bring SJW topics to the oscars or anything in life? So if you can and what to please feel free to explain why critics are awwed by Roma, I’m open mined... I mean come on I saw Roma.

:sabu
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 12:14:46 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #33719 on: April 17, 2019, 12:13:51 AM »
Pacific Rim 2 is really really really bad.