Author Topic: Sales Bore | Media Create And Other Sale Numbers |OT|  (Read 1184718 times)

Tasty

Re: Oscar-sempai's Sales Thread of Sales Enlightenment for Sales Losers
« Reply #4200 on: June 17, 2013, 10:08:53 PM »
BL2 is probably the best current example of how to improve for a sequel this gen

AssCreed 2?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4201 on: June 17, 2013, 10:09:05 PM »

:bow
dog

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #4202 on: June 17, 2013, 10:18:41 PM »
I'm okay with the game industry cratering, it gives me time to catch up on all those sweet sweet 16-bit JRPGs I missed out on the first time.

Yep.  I have a big ass backlog of 3DS, Vita (which I will throw in PSP + PS1 games that work with Vita in there), and PC games that I need to work my way through.  Then I have that bunch of PS1/PS2 games that Positive Touch sent me last year.

Let it burn :rock

Also I hope that the Wii U didn't even crack 30k this time.
🍆🍆

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #4203 on: June 17, 2013, 10:18:50 PM »
BL2 is probably the best current example of how to improve for a sequel this gen

AssCreed 2?

I have never played any AssCrud games.  I know what I want out of games at this point in my life, and what I've seen of AssCrud ain't it.
yar

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4204 on: June 17, 2013, 10:21:29 PM »
I bought the Defiance Season Pass. That's gonna be paying dividends any day now...
©@©™

treythemovie

« Reply #4205 on: June 17, 2013, 10:22:28 PM »
Honestly, Season Passes that aren't from EA are scams at this point. Uncharted 3's was  :lol and the GAF hissy-fit was hilarious over that. (So glad I didn't buy into that thanks to them fucking up Uncharted 2's multiplayer six months in)

Though I guess I can kinda give Ubisoft a pass since they released their Ass Creed 3 stuff "on-time" like they did the previous outings but the price-saving wasn't really worth it.
The entire purpose of Season Passes are to be scams. A large percentage of users lose interest in a game and never buy the DLC by the time it comes out. So season passes exist to con those users out of their money NOW since they won't give it later. That's why the quality of DLC doesn't matter: because the target of season passes were never going to play it anyway.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #4206 on: June 17, 2013, 10:25:30 PM »

AssCreed 2?
I know people like AC2 and think it's a great improvement, but I think it's the exact opposite. It didn't really fix AC 1 in they way I wanted. It just made it GTA when it should have became Hitman.

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #4207 on: June 17, 2013, 10:29:47 PM »
Some numbers out

Wii U  ~ 33k
Vita   < 16k
PS3  86 - 90K

Flamenco post if you are okay

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #4208 on: June 17, 2013, 10:32:06 PM »
Honestly, Season Passes that aren't from EA are scams at this point. Uncharted 3's was  :lol and the GAF hissy-fit was hilarious over that. (So glad I didn't buy into that thanks to them fucking up Uncharted 2's multiplayer six months in)

Though I guess I can kinda give Ubisoft a pass since they released their Ass Creed 3 stuff "on-time" like they did the previous outings but the price-saving wasn't really worth it.

What happened with UC3?

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #4209 on: June 17, 2013, 10:42:35 PM »
Yeah, BL2 Season Pass was definitely worth it, every pack has new areas/enemies/weapons, and they've all been longer than most FPS SP campaigns :lol

the final one looks awesome, too
sup

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #4210 on: June 17, 2013, 10:42:41 PM »

:bow
"I'M HERE TO ASK YOU ONE QUESTION AND ONE QUESTION ONLY. EXPLOSIONS!?"

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4211 on: June 17, 2013, 10:42:52 PM »
Some numbers out

Wii U  ~ 33k
Vita   < 16k
PS3  86 - 90K

Ouch

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #4212 on: June 17, 2013, 10:52:51 PM »
BL2 is probably the best current example of how to improve for a sequel this gen, and has (IMO) the best dlc of any game this gen also.  Can't recommend it enough, especially now that it's cheaper.  Hours and hours of fun.  Only possible way I'd say don't get it would be if you just don't like shootin shit.

I like shootin' shit, but Borderlands 1's gun combat was completely flat. I dunno if they fixed that in Borderlands 2 but I dunno if I want to buy it and get burned again. The gun combat got boring after like 10 mins in 1.

The entire purpose of Season Passes are to be scams. A large percentage of users lose interest in a game and never buy the DLC by the time it comes out. So season passes exist to con those users out of their money NOW since they won't give it later. That's why the quality of DLC doesn't matter: because the target of season passes were never going to play it anyway.

True. But EA's DLC schedule seems to be built for a year of support for the titles they release season passes for. Others seem to release the pass before even having DLC planned/set in stone and in development. It's like most of the others go "shit, we gotta release DLC! What should we do for it!?"

"*shrug*"

What happened with UC3?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=483563

Basically they released more DLC and didn't include it in the Fortune Hunter Club/Season Pass. Even if the "content" is minor it should've been there for people that paid that much.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 10:56:28 PM by thisismyusername »

Tasty

« Reply #4213 on: June 17, 2013, 10:55:54 PM »
Some numbers out

Wii U  ~ 33k
Vita   < 16k
PS3  86 - 90K

:holeup

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #4214 on: June 17, 2013, 10:58:34 PM »
Some numbers out

Wii U  ~ 33k
Vita   < 16k
PS3  86 - 90K

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #4215 on: June 17, 2013, 11:09:37 PM »
Wii is... but then Vita is...

I mean when you break it to 4 weeks it makes you wanna... especially when you consider the US size... and population...

I just can't...

Unzip

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #4216 on: June 17, 2013, 11:27:06 PM »
Old consoles that still haven't hit budget prices, a shitty "new" console nobody wants...can't say I'm surprised at the low sales numbers. A $400 PS4 should be able to clean up nicely next year.

The only doom I see is in the handheld market, at least for Nintendo; Vita is irrelevant. I'll add on to the anecdotal evidence: my young cousins no longer give a shit about Nintendo handhelds. They just play on their (hand me down) smart phones and laugh at me for having a dumb phone :fbm

but yea, Apple/Android/etc are going to completely own that market very soon.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #4217 on: June 17, 2013, 11:39:13 PM »
It's not so bad that the Vita is dying since the WiiU is dying too.   always a silver lining.   although the WiiU deserves to be dying harder, while Vita is pretty much guaranteed "Arrested Development after it was canceled" status.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4218 on: June 17, 2013, 11:46:56 PM »
TBH Nintendo hasn't done anything that has impressed me in terms of innovation for wii and wii u, and I think a 3rd party Nintendo, that actually has to compete against modern games, would be the best for gamers in the long run.  For example all the PR talk about how a second screen for wii u will make for great new gameplay experiences, well do you know the best way to do multiple screens?  Online multiplayer.  Things like pacman VS didn't need gba connectivity; it needed online.  If Nintendo lost the handheld market, I doubt they could sustain themselves to keep making consoles and I would look forward to that. 

thisismyusername

« Reply #4219 on: June 17, 2013, 11:59:32 PM »
Call me cynical but Nintendo third party would just be Sega third party round two. Just with maybe slightly better sales because Nintendo's IP's would have people like Andrex lapping it up unlike Sega.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4220 on: June 18, 2013, 12:13:10 AM »
I think the difference was that nintendo actually made good games before going 3rd party; sega didn't.

cool breeze

« Reply #4221 on: June 18, 2013, 12:40:05 AM »
Sega's Dreamcast output at the time was way better than Nintendo's current output.  Even when Sega went third party, it made two of Nintendo's best Gamecube game.

Damian79

« Reply #4222 on: June 18, 2013, 12:46:59 AM »
Fzero and what?  I forgot.  Skies?

Tasty

« Reply #4223 on: June 18, 2013, 12:55:55 AM »
Fzero and what?  I forgot.  Skies?

Billy Hatcher? :teehee

archie4208

« Reply #4224 on: June 18, 2013, 01:00:48 AM »
So, PS4 and Xbone are the last hopes for the console industry.

That's a scary thing to think about.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #4225 on: June 18, 2013, 01:02:03 AM »
FUSE missing on that fucking list  :lol

You guys forgot the best news.  These are the lowest software sales in 13 years.

Next gen save us  :P

Anything you can share?

Reggie should be picking up a newspaper to look for a new job.

Along with everyone else in the industry, haw haw
Low current gen sales are just further signs that consumers are ready for the next-gen experience that only the X-Box Onetm can offer.

...maxy?
Nah,this machine is designed just for the Yanks.

I do think machine has a chance to survive but only because of TV,sports,skype,etc stuff.It looks like gaming population has abandoned consoles and went elsewhere.

People laugh at WiiU but I think it's very likely that next gen launch mimics WiiU launch...decent hardware,disaster software
cat

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #4226 on: June 18, 2013, 03:06:56 AM »
So Nintendo is currently tracking to sell less then 1 million Wii U's this year, worldwide.

:dead

The whole industry is now in Sony's hands.

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #4227 on: June 18, 2013, 03:23:54 AM »
Yeah, Sony hasn't had a chance like this since PS1.  Here's hoping they don't pull a Sony.

Its funny how almost all of the moves they are pulling are PS1 moves as well, should be interesting to see how this plays out.

And yes pulling a 2006 Sony is still on the table imo

Cascade

« Reply #4228 on: June 18, 2013, 04:41:13 AM »
Wii U Sales:

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes, Fast & Furious: Showdown, and Sniper Elite V2 combined sold 4000 copies.
 :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

How is this even physically possible? Why would any publisher ever support Wii U given these pathetic sales? There is literally no way ninthings can spin third parties not supporting Wii U as being bad for them.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 04:43:28 AM by Cascade »

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #4229 on: June 18, 2013, 04:59:59 AM »
Market is so different now, all the right moves might not be enough.

Kickstarter future and death of AAA games indeed.

archnemesis

« Reply #4230 on: June 18, 2013, 05:43:05 AM »
45k for Soul Sacrifice isn't that bad.

thisismyusername

« Reply #4231 on: June 18, 2013, 07:03:11 AM »
I think the difference was that nintendo actually made good games before going 3rd party; sega didn't.

And yet I could see the same thing happening to Nintendo if they went third party: People would realize that Nintendo's output isn't needed at all.

Sega had some decent stuff in the Dreamcast era. Put some of it on PS2/X-box/Gamecube, but no one came running. (JSRF  :'() Metroid is a niche series, it going third party would just kill it. Pokemon would probably survive but them pumping it out like a yearly Sega sequel now a days to keep the money flowing (but annoying older fans?) Mario would be the toss-up but I think the larger non-Nintendo-buyer market would probably pass on things that aren't Mario Kart, which would probably stranglehold the Kart-racing genre (Blur...  :'().

Starfox would probably be ignored. Pikmin would most likely definitely be ignored.

That leaves...?

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #4232 on: June 18, 2013, 07:13:23 AM »
Zelda?

They could license their IP's to good studio's.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #4233 on: June 18, 2013, 08:24:16 AM »
Not everything is gloomy,State of Decay $20 XBLA game has sold more then 500k in just one week.
cat

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #4234 on: June 18, 2013, 08:44:32 AM »
That's the future.

20/30 euro titles tops.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #4235 on: June 18, 2013, 08:57:01 AM »
That's actually not that far from money that third party publishers get from $60 retail,I think.

heh

cat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4236 on: June 18, 2013, 09:07:15 AM »
Wii U Sales:

Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes, Fast & Furious: Showdown, and Sniper Elite V2 combined sold 4000 copies.

How is this even physically possible? Why would any publisher ever support Wii U given these pathetic sales? There is literally no way ninthings can spin third parties not supporting Wii U as being bad for them.

Maybe you shouldn't pass judgment since digital sales aren't accounted for. :jawalrus
dog

Father_Brain

« Reply #4237 on: June 18, 2013, 09:38:59 AM »

It isn't at all, given everything the game had going against it commercially (platform, new IP, niche genre, nonexistent marketing). Factor in digital and it's done pretty well, relative to reasonable expectations.

Tasty

« Reply #4238 on: June 18, 2013, 10:28:35 AM »

:what

archnemesis

« Reply #4239 on: June 18, 2013, 10:46:59 AM »
You have to compare the sales to what it did in Japan and take into account the cost of localization.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #4240 on: June 18, 2013, 11:05:02 AM »
even I winced at 45k.   of course, that's retail and Sony says Vita does decently in PSN sales.  Still nowhere near where it needs to be for the most hyped title of the year so far on a year old handheld.

Market is so different now, all the right moves might not be enough.

Kickstarter future and death of AAA games indeed.

I dunno, people seem pretty disappointed in the KS projects they've funded, both in games and otherwise.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #4241 on: June 18, 2013, 11:08:44 AM »
We need to get someone like Mama Robotnik to do a run-down of successful Kickstarters and how those that have come out were received.

Tasty

« Reply #4242 on: June 18, 2013, 11:14:06 AM »
You have to compare the sales to what it did in Japan and take into account the cost of localization.

45k is barely acceptable for a one-man iPhone game. Let's be real here.  :comeon

archnemesis

« Reply #4243 on: June 18, 2013, 11:22:35 AM »
One-man iPhone games don't sell for $40 and you're neglecting Japanese and European sales. There are plenty of companies that are sustainable with those kind of numbers.

Tasty

« Reply #4244 on: June 18, 2013, 11:27:20 AM »
One-man iPhone games don't sell for $40 and you're neglecting Japanese and European sales. There are plenty of companies that are sustainable with those kind of numbers.

:mindblown

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #4245 on: June 18, 2013, 11:35:21 AM »
XSEED would love those numbers.

Wii U devs would love those numbers.
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #4246 on: June 18, 2013, 11:43:13 AM »
About how much would a Vita game have to sell to turn a profit, or is it variable depending on the title.

archnemesis

« Reply #4247 on: June 18, 2013, 11:47:23 AM »

I tried Coconut Dodge Revitalised earlier today. It would have made a profit with only a handful of sales.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #4248 on: June 18, 2013, 11:52:20 AM »
well, vita's just an indie games jukebox and ps4 accessory now, anyway

it'll be like having a wii u, except with some games
sup

Purple Filth

« Reply #4249 on: June 18, 2013, 03:59:47 PM »
Well Soul Sacrifice got a digital sale here so +1 to whatever digital number they have

Cascade

« Reply #4250 on: June 19, 2013, 02:50:56 AM »
Fuse Sales: <20K

Surprise, surprise, games from a terrible developer fail to sell when they don't have a legion of Sony fanbabies blindly buying their games to prop up mothership Sony.

archnemesis

« Reply #4251 on: June 19, 2013, 03:30:44 AM »
The Ratchet & Clank games are very competent. Or at least they used to be.

Their new Xbox One exclusive will also bomb.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4252 on: June 21, 2013, 09:30:58 PM »

Surprise, surprise, games from a terrible developer fail to sell when they don't have a legion of Sony fanbabies blindly buying their games to prop up mothership Sony.

Wow, that's painful.

I guess designed-by-committee isn't the way to go?

nudemacusers

« Reply #4253 on: June 21, 2013, 09:32:14 PM »

goddamn

true tho
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #4254 on: June 21, 2013, 09:44:34 PM »
Which will sell more lifetime: Fuse, Haze, or Ryse?
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #4255 on: June 21, 2013, 09:55:20 PM »
Which will sell more lifetime: Fuse, Haze, or Ryse?

Whoever wins, Wii (U) lose.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #4256 on: June 23, 2013, 12:13:55 PM »
Anecdotal stuff.

Yesterday the clerk at Gamestop told me they're requiring a $100 deposit because too many people pre-ordered Wii U's and ended up not picking them up. Corporate didn't like that so figured if people are parting with $100 they're a bit more serious with picking the system up day 1.

Holiday will be fun.
cat

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #4257 on: June 23, 2013, 01:10:05 PM »
Went to GameStop to pick up a gift for my cousin so I asked about PS4/Xbone pre-orders. The manager said both are quite high but the PS4 is in the lead. There's a Wal Mart about 5 stores away from them, and the GameStop manager said they're heard Wal Mart has similar a similar pre-order situation.

I asked if they expect big WiiU sales if the other two systems sell out. They laughed.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #4258 on: June 23, 2013, 03:02:25 PM »
My stupid guess would be PS4 leading like 3:1 or more,X180 seems to be having some serious production issues + $100 more + DRM clusterfuck.

Based just on current preorder anecdotal evidence.

Then again,X180 seems to have launch game(s) that people want,one game in particular...Dead Rising 3
cat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #4259 on: June 23, 2013, 03:08:41 PM »
 :lol dead rising 3 moving units, ok

can anyone tell me ok how companies determine piracy rates? was reading up on how companies skip out on android while citing piracy rates, but all i can find for evidence is articles with devs talking piracy v purchase ratios.
pcp