Author Topic: Sales Bore | Media Create And Other Sale Numbers |OT|  (Read 1184629 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
these sales are bizarre.  it's like sony is coming out on top by default because the other two fell on their faces.  or maybe I simply can't identify what sony is doing right, only that they're not doing anything wrong.

Judging by the charts, there's only one real winner.

Mojang.
©@©™

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
"not screwing up in the game industry" is pretty hard tho, I mean look at PS3, Wii U, Xbox One ... consoles fall flat on their face more often than not!
乱学者

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Did we ever get solid numbers for titanfall from ms or ea? That alone is pretty telling for its and the rest of the top 10 sales
With Xbox One and Xbox 360 combined, the Xbox platform sold the most games across all console platforms with 4.1 million games sold. Xbox One sold 1.4 million games in March and Xbox 360 sold 2.7 million, totaling 49 percent of the total software market share (Xbox 360 and Xbox One combined).
So...less than that...

EDIT: Oh wait, it's on 360 too. Totally forgot.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 08:42:44 PM by benjipwns »

Rahxephon91

So can we now say that the Titanfall hype was actually artificial hype?

Mupepe

• Icon
Or contained just to the hardcore who tend to hang out on the internet. I never witnessed any hype offline.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
xbone :lol
USA

Rahxephon91

Or contained just to the hardcore who tend to hang out on the internet. I never witnessed any hype offline.
Yeah, that's more like it. I'm not saying the game is bad (though I can't say I was into what I played), but it sure like it was being pushed as this game changing REAL NEXT GEN game. Something that was going to make the xbone. It just seems like it's a solid multiplayer title. Honestly, it just seems like something that could have been a F2P title on Steam.

benjipwns

Launching a console today is different. Compared to last generation, you likely waited in line with limited supply for hours only to be empty handed. This past launch you had ample opportunity to preorder on numerous occasions online to guarantee your console. Today we receive information differently. Before that, you heard from word of mouth through advertising campaigns and marketing whether it was gaming magazines, television commercials like 'Nintendont' or Sony's creative PS2 commercials, or mostly at lunch bantering back and forth. Sure specs were out but only the hardcore truly knew what differences there may be while the general public was generally unaware. Now we consume information instantly. Scholars like Thomas Friedman argue the world is now flat, where information is transmitted instantly across the globe and where economic advantage and the playing field is becoming equal across continents. Some say this instantaneous spread of information was responsible for recent revolutions e.g., the Arab Spring. The question is asked do you think growing use of internet or the spread of information now more accessible has made a difference compared to last console launch?

I personally think it has. Today the average consumer is a lot smarter than before. While the internet certainly was widely used when the 360 and PS3 launched, I think people today are more accustomed to actually using the internet, social media, reading more information than ever before because of smartphones, tablets, etc. Today's generation lives on the internet. More people know the PS4 has better specs than XO than what the specs were with PS3 and 360, the DRM restrictions of XO spread like wildfire, the 1080p scandals, and more. I feel today the average person is more intelligent than previous console launches because of these reasons. They are in general more aware. I am experiencing people that I wouldn't think that are much more knowledgeable about products than before through the quick and ease of information being transmitted.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
The Xbone's price needed to drop down to $399 yesterday.  Nobody wants to pay a $100 Kinect premium.  Just drop the price already.
🍆🍆

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Xbone sold 311k

Seems not many people picked one up for titanfall

This is really a disaster for ms

Mods, help. Pls. change Lagerless' name to SecondThird

Pringo

Wii + Wii U < 100k

Vita close to four digit monthly sales.

cool breeze

Wii + Wii U + Vita = Xbox 360

Himu

Xbone sold 311k

Seems not many people picked one up for titanfall

This is really a disaster for ms

Mods, help. Pls. change Lagerless' name to SecondThird

Naw. Third makes his account on forums in sequential order. On OA he's First, on gaf he's Second, here he's Third. Lager is clearly Fourth.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!

Yes. Basically. What everyone has been saying since the beta.

Ehn, I think that's going a little far.  It's still the number one game this month, and it did alright.  Probably more accurate to say its hype as a system-selling exclusive a la Halo was overdone.

Doesn't matter about sales. He point was the hype: The thing only had manufactured hype. Those that enjoyed the "beta"/demo got it. Those that saw through the hype didn't.

As far as sales go: It went decent for X-boxen/PC (digital) but not great. Double so for the next-gen launch where MS was hoping it'd be a killer app and wasn't. But it didn't set the world on fire like the hype was trying to make you believe.

Sony (fans) thinking those indies alone would save the system...  :lol Time to either kill it (the smart move) or actually put some of their PS4 dev houses (read: Bend) on the system overtime. But at this point I can't see even Bend helping to save the system.

Might as well cut their losses, offer PS+ to owners of the system/IGC ALL the titles as free to subbers and wash their hands of it.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Titanfall was never going to be the new hotness while Destiny existed. Loot > fegs in mechs. It's just science.
yar

Tasty

Wii + Wii U < 100k

:holeup

Wii U needs to get a $200 GamePad-less SKU ASAP in time for Mario Kart. Then it might rise above horrible-shit-sales and cross into deplorable-but-not-super-shitty-sales.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Highest selling Wii U game this month:

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - 84K

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
Just imagine if they didn't add Cranky Kong though

Takao

I don't think anyone thought indie games were going to save Vita, but if those people do exist, they deserve to be lumped in with the "PS4 will save traditional gaming in Japan" folks as a group no one should listen to.  It's pretty clear that SCEA, and likely all branches of SCE outside of Asia are done with Vita. Sony's over exuberance for indie support and Remote Play/PS Now always seemed like a "Welp" solution to me. They couldn't just abandon a platform whose userbase likely consists of the most hardcore of their fandom, but the numbers obviously aren't there for them to support it when they have a lot more PS4 users. So what do they do? Fund a bunch of low cost indie ports, and provide streaming services for those looking for games that had some money behind them. The scant few upcoming western SCE published titles support this. It's all really cheap outsourced stuff like Muarasaki Baby, or those PS2 ports. The platform has a sustainable ecosystem in Japan, so they can't just discontinue it either. Well, I guess they could but I can't imagine all of their third party partners being enthused about PS4 after having the rug pulled out from under them. There's plenty of other platforms for those companies to support in 2014.

And while Vita sales would still be horrifically terrible, it does need to be said that there is a supply problem. Some of the retailers near me have spaces for Vitas, but no Vitas, and it seems that's not isolated. It looks like SCEA hasn't shipped out new hardware in a few months, and have instead been waiting for their stock of 1000s to run dry. They either underestimated demand/overestimated their supplies, or Borderlands 2 kept them from releasing the Vita 2K earlier. This should mean that April's numbers will be even worse, as Vita 2K isn't hitting until May.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 03:24:17 AM by Takao »

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
the money left on the table by not having the ghost of wrinkly kong playable  :'(

When did Wrinkly Kong die?  :omg
WDW

Third

• BODY TALK
Ps4 beat Xbox U during march?

I am SHOCKED  :lol :lol :lol

MS is so fucked. Bu bu Titanfall  :lol

archnemesis

Did anyone put up a comparison table or plot with Titanfall against other popular shooters?

Third

• BODY TALK
Titanfall came for free in basically every Xbox sold last month. So I don't think we can make a good comparison.

SantaC

Ehn, I think that's going a little far.  It's still the number one game this month, and it did alright.  Probably more accurate to say its hype as a system-selling exclusive a la Halo was overdone.

halo 1 wasnt on PC at the time of release though.

thisismyusername

I don't think anyone thought indie games were going to save Vita

Have you not seen most of GAF's resolution to hype the indies as something worth buying the system for? "Yeah, but why buy those titles on Steam for $.99-5. when you can pay $15 and get it PORTABLE!"  :zzz :zzz :zzz

halo 1 wasnt on PC at the time of release though.

That's true. But can we discount the PC release since it most likely doesn't report sales since no one is tracking digital distro platforms anyway?

Takao

oh, so vita's just supply constrained outside japan

that makes sense.

You know I didn't mean it like that. I already said that sales would still be pitifully low, but to say stock isn't a problem is ignoring the fact that stock is low.

Have you not seen most of GAF's resolution to hype the indies as something worth buying the system for? "Yeah, but why buy those titles on Steam for $.99-5. when you can pay $15 and get it PORTABLE!"  :zzz :zzz :zzz

That's a different argument. People on a hardcore gaming forum suggesting that other like-minded people buy a Vita isn't surprising. The only time I've seen someone say that an indie game would sell Vitas to more than just NeoGAF is through a Minecraft bundle. It would, if people actually knew what a Vita is.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 10:21:18 AM by Takao »

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
i like how the xbots here have all left, they dont even wantt o try to defend this thing anymore rip maxy
USA

thisismyusername

That's a different argument. People on a hardcore gaming forum suggesting that other like-minded people buy a Vita isn't surprising. The only time I've seen someone say that an indie game would sell Vitas to more than just NeoGAF is through a Minecraft bundle. It would, if people actually knew what a Vita is.

Sure, it's a different argument but it's still relevant: That's about the only thing Sony has been pushing and it's not working for the system. No one wants Indies as portable.

At this point, Sony's only hope is to stop blocking people from hacking their system; point them in a good direction to blow open the system and let the homebrew and piracy flow. It's the only way their system is gonna fly off shelves.

(BUT PIRACY!)

Yes. But given there's no damn support for the system at this point what do they have to lose?

Though, at the very least Atlus could at least spiff up the graphics of that Persona 4 side-game on 3DS and give to Sony fans since they're starved for JRPGs in the west on that system.

I mean look at that. :kobeyuck It's matching the P4G style but in N64 graphics. :kobeyuck

Mupepe

• Icon
i like how the xbots here have all left, they dont even wantt o try to defend this thing anymore rip maxy
I'm an xbot, bro. I love my xbone

Tasty

Wii U: 70K (+4.5%)

Don't call it a comeback :rejoice

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cause it's not :fbm
[close]

Tasty

And while Vita sales would still be horrifically terrible, it does need to be said that there is a supply problem. Some of the retailers near me have spaces for Vitas, but no Vitas, and it seems that's not isolated.
They either underestimated demand/overestimated their supplies, or Borderlands 2 kept them from releasing the Vita 2K earlier.

:comeon

This is what, bargaining? You need to move onto acceptance, Taco.

cool breeze

MGS Ground Zeroes sold 278k, ~74% on next gen (ps4 54%, xbox 20%).

don't know if they'll bother with a last gen version of phantom pain if it's expected to be late 2015 or later.

Takao

Did you miss the first part of my post? I accepted that Vita was dead in North America a long time ago.

SantaC

how much is gamecube outselling WiiU so far? And people called the GC a dead console  :lol

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
The vita losing sales because a new one is coming out soon argument is pretty lulzy
dur

Rahxephon91

I just bought a Vita. Seemed pretty easy to acquire one.

Beezy

Do any of the improvements on that new Vita coming out make it the better buy than dat OLED?

Beezy

dbl post smh
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 09:13:27 PM by Beezy »

Himu

Love how the GameCube Hut excuses are starting to come out of the Xbot camp.

what's that?
IYKYK

benjipwns

NOT EVERYTHING IS COUNTED IN NPD, REAL SALES ARE PROLLY 90% HIGHER

benjipwns

Himu

ahahahahaha
IYKYK

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
I've heard that about the NPDs before from Jeff Gerstmann in private. Some of them really elieve it. Dirty xshits.
USA

Tasty

(Image removed from quote.)

Polygon writer shilling for MS? WHY I NEVER

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
Corporate cheerleaders.  :o :-X :-\
Hi

archie4208

Ew.

Hearthstone.

a slime appears

• retro king

hampster

FFX HD outselling Lightning Returns in both US and Japan means we're getting FF12 HD right :hyper
Zzz

Himu

Still, it's good news, and hopefully the low sales of both XIII and X/X-2 HD sends a message.
IYKYK

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
Still, it's good news, and hopefully the low sales of both XIII and X/X-2 HD sends a message.
What, make more handheld shit?
Hi

Himu

I think the message sent would be "Spend less making these things, pump them out more quickly", but that's just me.

Again, good thing.

FF has become a bloated, overly produced mess. Back in the day, I got three high quality FF's three years in a row. Spending less money on them is again, another win. Shelling them out quicker amid a generation when we were stuck with Lightning Derp Trilogy is even better.

FF fans win.

:heartbeat
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

Maybe they could bundle Type 0 with FFXII HD. I don't know.

I also don't agree with Himuro's stance. FF games have kind of been big productions since well 6 I guess. Relative to the times, 6-12 are pretty big jrpg productions. The difference of course is that it was easier to make those games, but clearly they've been getting longer to make relative to the time and effort the tech brings.

Quite honestly, since there are no other big budget jrpgs I kind of don't want FF to scale down. Though it may have to. Yet, I don't think the size of the production is whats effected the quality. It's not like 7,8,10, 12 weren't big productions either. XIII's problem was management and the shitty transition to HD development. Something it seems they are starting to get a hold of.

And I also don't need them one after another. FF's are big eventful games, so I don't need the brand to be diluted even further with annual side games. I could have easily been better off with less polished grab bags that are the XIII's sequels. Would have rather taken one 15 on PS3 over two XIII sequels. I would be nice if Square had other jrpg series to rotate in, but yeah..
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 02:10:00 AM by Rahxephon91 »

Himu

Well, all we can do is see what happens from here, but I think the future is bright for the series. They seem to be engaging fans and rectifying their fuck ups from the past gen.
IYKYK

Himu

Maybe they could bundle Type 0 with FFXII HD. I don't know.

I also don't agree with Himuro's stance. FF games have kind of been big productions since well 6 I guess. Relative to the times, 6-12 are pretty big jrpg productions. The difference of course is that it was easier to make those games, but clearly they've been getting longer to make relative to the time and effort the tech brings.

Quite honestly, since there are no other big budget jrpgs I kind of don't want FF to scale down. Though it may have to. Yet, I don't think the size of the production is whats effected the quality. It's not like 7,8,10, 12 weren't big productions either. XIII's problem was management and the shitty transition to HD development. Something it seems they are starting to get a hold of.

And I also don't need them one after another. FF's are big eventful games. I don't need one right after each other.

Well, last regular number single player non-sequel FF release was in 2009. It's 2014. That was five years ago. There is no excuse. Final Fantasy deserves to have a much better release schedule than that, and Square Enix as a company needs it as well, since they subsist on Final Fantasy.

As for production, lower production values does not mean ugly. If you think FF will suddenly look like an Atlus game, I don't think you'll have to worry about that.

And lastly, modern FF budgets are not sustainable. The budgets will only rise, and as noted in last generation, jrpgs have hit their cap. FF continuing to go with the crowd of AAA development is not survivable nor healthy.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 02:09:53 AM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Takao

How much of Revenant Wings can Square Enix/Outsource Studio remake with the PS2 game's assets?

Himu

I'm not sure RW would work without a stylus. Rah is right. Make an FF Type 0 HD as part of the collection. Since they did that with those KH games I think they'll do the same thing with Type 0.
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
Why can't they go back to making FF like in the 32 bit age.

Pre rendered backgrounds etc.

That would look gorgeous in HD and it wouldn't cost that much money either!

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
Yea, they could source them from google maps

magus

• LIKES FF7
Why can't they go back to making FF like in the 32 bit age.

Pre rendered backgrounds etc.

That would look gorgeous in HD and it wouldn't cost that much money either!

before going back to make a FF like in the 32 bit age, they should go back to make FF game in the first place
<----

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
Yea, they could source them from google maps
worked for resistance!