Author Topic: Sales Bore | Media Create And Other Sale Numbers |OT|  (Read 1184665 times)

Take My Breh Away

Re: Next-Gen Sales Thread |OT| We already sold all the sales. Sorry.
« Reply #7740 on: June 13, 2016, 05:46:43 AM »
nintendo not going out of business lol. even if they decide it's not profitable to make systems anymore, they still have plenty of money to make more games. it'll be a long time before Mario (and his associated merchandise) becomes unprofitable.

also using star fox as a metric for success is lol. when's the last time they made a good star fox, let alone one that sold well?

Ninthings have this idealistic vision of hard man Yamauchi saying he will "Never sell Nintendo" and the IP's would go down with the ship if Nintendo ever went down. Even though Yamauchi had to take a vacation to think because Bill Gates offered to buy Nintendo for a ridiculous amount in 2000 or so. He genuinely did think about selling up because N64 didn't perform to the standard of the SNES and GC was an expensive gamble (That Nintendo lost hugely on in both marketshare and mindshare) but decided to decline in the end. Then he was forced to resign in 2003 because of a massive EU anti-trust scandal so that gen really sucked for him.

If Nintendo did have financial trouble and NX was a bust. They would have a plan B and either go third party or let Tencent or Microsoft swoop in on them. It's been that way since the 90's.

archie4208

« Reply #7741 on: June 16, 2016, 10:15:07 AM »
While not exactly related to video game sales as we know it, Overwatch has surpassed League of Legends as the top played game in South Korea.  LoL was the top dog for nearly 4 years straight and constantly had >40% market share.  To see any game get close to it, much less surpass it, is a big deal.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #7742 on: June 17, 2016, 03:31:08 AM »
Do these places have some license fee or?

archie4208

« Reply #7743 on: June 17, 2016, 06:58:43 AM »
Yeah.  Blizzard, Riot, Nexon etc charge licensing fees to PC Bangs in exchange for perks in their games (bonus EXP, all characters unlocked, etc).

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #7744 on: June 17, 2016, 11:01:23 AM »
I'd enjoy the coming end of WE IZ MAJOR LEAGUE OK but Dota 2 is an even worse Team Fortress 2 at this point.

HoN won. #HoNderful

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #7745 on: June 18, 2016, 01:12:35 PM »
Aquamarine still jeopardizing her Wall Street job for video games I see.

Even going as far by being on VGchartz for that attention  :lol

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #7746 on: July 28, 2016, 11:50:19 AM »
Less than 100k copies of Street Fighter V were shipped from April to June

"BUT WAIT FOR EVO! SURELY THAT'LL BRING PLAYERS BACK/NEW PLAYERS WILL BUY!" -GAF.

Excuse me while I: :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf
Oh. That was rich. But seriously: Capcom has to be shitting themselves since this means they badly mismanaged their estimates (2million by the end of March/launch month). And yes, I know Evo was this month. But the point remains: It's not going to bring new players in if there is no demand past the launch month. Capcom has to essentially "reboot" the game by adding in things that were missing from the "vanilla" launch in an attempt to get peoples minds off the disastrous launch. Evo's showing isn't going to fix that.

qq more

« Reply #7747 on: July 28, 2016, 12:14:10 PM »
The "EVO WILL SAVE THE GAME" always had me. Most people who were interested in SFV for competitive play has already gotten the game. Most people who skipped out are the casual players, EVO wouldn't do shit for them.

It's like when some GAFers think Brawl sold 500k last year solely because of Project M  :lol
ok

Tasty

« Reply #7748 on: July 28, 2016, 01:57:14 PM »
Super Street Fighter 5 incoming :neogaf

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #7749 on: July 28, 2016, 03:21:48 PM »

Wonder if there would be an Xbone and NX version.

Cross platform play across all platforms would drastically help with player population, but I remember hearing how busted PS4/PC crossplay was at launch.
OH!

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #7750 on: July 28, 2016, 03:27:43 PM »
It's not the same without the Playstation Experience fully integrated. The PC version compromised the dream enough already.

thisismyusername

« Reply #7751 on: July 28, 2016, 06:56:51 PM »

Cross platform play across all platforms would drastically help with player population, but I remember hearing how busted PS4/PC crossplay was at launch.

It's still busted. They haven't fixed the alt-tab host-advantage problem. :neogaf Capcom :neogaf

Vertigo

« Reply #7752 on: July 28, 2016, 07:48:59 PM »

If Capcom does that the passive aggressive threads on Gaf will be a treat.

thisismyusername

« Reply #7753 on: July 28, 2016, 09:21:00 PM »
I don't think most of the Street Fighter 5 thread posters would care too much. Outside of losing the "but Sony paid for it!" defense for the piss-poor state that Capcom has the game in still. The only way I can see Capcom saving it isn't F2P (though that may help somewhat) it's simply doing away with the whole "game as a service" goal they had. It's apparent about 5-6 months later that plan simply isn't coming to fruition. Zenny/real money microtransactions was dropped. The daily fight money still isn't here. Online Battle Rooms are still a mess last I heard. I dropped the game shortly after launch, so I wouldn't know the state of those. Though I've heard connections are somewhat better but the matchmaking is still a complete crap-shoot on actual connections.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #7754 on: August 12, 2016, 04:49:06 AM »
xbox took july in us.

did the slim launch or something?

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #7755 on: August 12, 2016, 07:25:47 AM »
xbox took july in us.

did the slim launch or something?

Aggressive price cuts and bundles on the huge bone. Slim is August.

Minecraft was the biggest selling game even when including digital copies of everything else so a slow month overall, anyway.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #7756 on: September 16, 2016, 03:34:07 AM »
Bit late but Xbox took August as well in the US.

That Slim effect.

Wouldn't be surprised if it takes September as well now. Wonder what the margins are.

archie4208

« Reply #7757 on: October 14, 2016, 09:42:44 PM »
Someone in Twitter leaked some September NPD numbers

1. NBA (1.3mil)
2. Madden (727k w/o bundles, 788k with)
3. FIFA (444k)

Forza Horizon 3 (150k w/ 5 days tracking)
GTA V (152k)
Uncharted 4 (100k, most w/ PS Sim bundle)
WoW legion (>100k)
Overwatch (82k, >1 million physical console sales)

No Man's Sky (50k, nearly 90% drop :rofl)
ReCore (<50k)
DQ7 (35k)
YoKai Watch 2 (35k)
Xcom 2 (<25k)

PS3 (40k) > Wii U (36k) :rofl
PS4 (285k)
Xbone (332k)

thisismyusername

« Reply #7758 on: October 14, 2016, 11:14:18 PM »
X-com 2 being the console port right? Damn, that's a drop from the first isn't it?

thisismyusername

« Reply #7759 on: October 15, 2016, 12:18:22 AM »
the first didn't even do 8K on consoles IIRC.

Wow, seriously? I guess GAF gave me a reality distortion field on that being a successful console port of them.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #7760 on: October 15, 2016, 01:47:48 AM »
Maybe it sold well digital? Also it seems the type of game that would do well in Europe

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #7761 on: October 15, 2016, 05:41:47 AM »
I think it was more than that but there's no question it sold way, way less than on PC. There's a reason why 2 was PC exclusive for so long...
ὕβρις

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #7763 on: October 15, 2016, 11:50:59 AM »
DQ7 so low  :'(
^_^

archie4208

« Reply #7764 on: October 15, 2016, 12:11:08 PM »
Just means I can flip DQ7 for even more money in a few years.  :drool

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #7765 on: October 15, 2016, 01:00:26 PM »
does this mean we can stop saying "maybe x will be the game that finally brings dq into the mainstream!" and just admit that it's niche in the West
pcp

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #7766 on: October 15, 2016, 06:39:50 PM »
Well a port of an old game on a system on its way out the door is not going to blow the doors off the charts and anyone who thought it would is delusional.
Hi

Tasty

« Reply #7767 on: October 15, 2016, 08:00:57 PM »
DQ7 so low  :'(

Remake of a Japanese-focused game on a dying system. Unsurprised. At the very least they have the new script they can use in further ports and remakes.

Tasty

« Reply #7768 on: October 15, 2016, 08:02:23 PM »
does this mean we can stop saying "maybe x will be the game that finally brings dq into the mainstream!" and just admit that it's niche in the West

Mainline entries do pretty well. Remakes and spin-offs much less so.

Same thing with Pokemon, just on a smaller scale.

thisismyusername

« Reply #7769 on: October 27, 2016, 04:43:55 PM »
Previously on "Street Fighter 5 is a gigantic failure...":

Less than 100k copies of Street Fighter V were shipped from April to June

(Image removed from quote.)

Let's extend that from April to September now! (Including Digital Sales!)

Street Fighter 5 is done-zo. Absolutely nothing they can do beyond making it F2P and giving people that bought their Alpha version free content for the life of the product will help at this point.

Trent Dole

« Reply #7770 on: October 27, 2016, 11:11:12 PM »
I've seen one of my fighter loving buds playing various versions of SFIV recently so I suppose there you have it. :lol I'd say RIP but since it was never a full fucking game to begin with you can't really say it's dead.
Hi

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #7771 on: October 28, 2016, 06:50:19 AM »
There was a rumor in FGC circles that Sony were dropping sponsorship of the Capcom Pro Tour next year because the game's just been an absolute disaster for them (Didn't they supposedly pay a "Comical" amount of money for the exclusivity? Remember someone with knowledge of the subject said sometime before launch that Sony was throwing around stupid money for 3rd party deals like SF V and No Man's Sky and paid twice as much as MS did for the COD Maps). Supposedly Capcom is either trying to get a big peripheral manufacturer like Razer or PDP to front part of next years pot or they are not going to bother with a pro tour at all because it turned out most people were just playing it for the pot and Japanese players referred to it as more like a job than a game they enjoyed.

God what a disaster. Especially since MK X pulled in 8 million at last count for it's retail version. In the F2P space, Killer Instinct pulled in over 7 million with a big buy through on its DLC content (And people thought MS were high for turning down SF V). Even DOA 5 Last Round pulled in 4 million and that has a huge amount of buy through on it's DLC. Fighting games are not dead but the way Capcom fucked up SF V is absolutely nuts.

Tasty

« Reply #7772 on: October 28, 2016, 02:08:10 PM »
I'd bet money that more people bought the Smash 4 Ryu DLC than SFV lololol

Bebpo

« Reply #7773 on: October 28, 2016, 07:34:03 PM »
There was a rumor in FGC circles that Sony were dropping sponsorship of the Capcom Pro Tour next year because the game's just been an absolute disaster for them (Didn't they supposedly pay a "Comical" amount of money for the exclusivity? Remember someone with knowledge of the subject said sometime before launch that Sony was throwing around stupid money for 3rd party deals like SF V and No Man's Sky and paid twice as much as MS did for the COD Maps). Supposedly Capcom is either trying to get a big peripheral manufacturer like Razer or PDP to front part of next years pot or they are not going to bother with a pro tour at all because it turned out most people were just playing it for the pot and Japanese players referred to it as more like a job than a game they enjoyed.

God what a disaster. Especially since MK X pulled in 8 million at last count for it's retail version. In the F2P space, Killer Instinct pulled in over 7 million with a big buy through on its DLC content (And people thought MS were high for turning down SF V). Even DOA 5 Last Round pulled in 4 million and that has a huge amount of buy through on it's DLC. Fighting games are not dead but the way Capcom fucked up SF V is absolutely nuts.

Wow.  I never realized that the other fighters still sold that much.  Especially because as an Arc System Work fan my frame of reference is Guilty Gear/Blazblue selling 100-200k or something, so SFV still seemed ok.  But damn, compared to MKX SFV is dead.

thisismyusername

« Reply #7774 on: October 28, 2016, 08:02:00 PM »

The only one that panned out on that is CoD, and that's in decline (slowly). I doubt most X-box owners give a shit about the DLC exclusivity, though. :idont Sony better be ponying up money to From to continue to pump out exclusive Souls at this point until people tire of that.

Wow.  I never realized that the other fighters still sold that much.  Especially because as an Arc System Work fan my frame of reference is Guilty Gear/Blazblue selling 100-200k or something, so SFV still seemed ok.  But damn, compared to MKX SFV is dead.

Animu is always niche. It's Tekken, MK, and SF for the "triad" of mainstream fighters. Maybe Marvel in the West, but Asia don't care (yet?).

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #7775 on: October 30, 2016, 12:36:23 PM »

It's still a really successful genre. I'd expect Tekken 7 to clear 3 million easily next year, especially now it's on Steam and likely coming to Switch as well (Since its an Unreal 4 game). MK X is just a sales beast because of the well done long term support. I'd imagine Injustice 2 will be the same, especially now they packed in loot crate monetization in that and NRS are continually improving their craft ever since WB bought them so there's little doubt it's going to be a great game (And it sounds like if there's a PC version, it's probably going to be handled by Q-LOC again which is good since they unfucked the PC version of MK X). I don't think anyone anticipated how well the F2P games would do as well (KI and DOA 5LR, you really have to buy some content to get a full experience so that works as well. And Tecmo was smart enough to put the really fetishy stuff behind a pay wall) 

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #7776 on: October 31, 2016, 03:30:24 AM »
I don't play fighting games so don't know about that, but history has shown that gamers will accept all kinds of shitty payment models if the gameplay is top notch.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7777 on: October 31, 2016, 08:14:02 AM »
Street Fighter 5 is done-zo. Absolutely nothing they can do beyond making it F2P and giving people that bought their Alpha version free content for the life of the product will help at this point.

It still sold more than 1.4 million copies and Capcom's making additional money on DLC.  Its sales seem to be in line with the last few Street Fighter releases.  Only vanilla SF4 sold a crapton more than the rest.

Capcom still lists it as a success since it did more than a million.

:idont

But that's what they get for releasing an unfinished product.  You have to wonder when they will learn...if ever.  They fucked up with Marvel 3 (releasing the Ultimate edition so quickly after the regular one), they fucked up with Street Fighter X Tekken (the gem DLC fiasco and 'DLC' characters being on the disc), and they certainly fucked up with this game.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 08:36:57 AM by bork pls »
ど助平

thisismyusername

« Reply #7778 on: October 31, 2016, 08:20:57 AM »
Its sales seem to be in line with the last few Street Fighter releases.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1303379

Ultra Street Fighter 4 - 767.000
Street Fighter V - 205.000
Street Fighter x Tekken - 129.000
Street Fighter IV - 104.000

I mean you could say that Ultra was put into Humble Bundles, but that's still an under performance of slightly beating the vanilla launch. PS4 release is probably slightly higher due to the community, but still pretty bad.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7779 on: October 31, 2016, 08:37:37 AM »
Total sales, not for a period of time.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7780 on: October 31, 2016, 09:40:29 AM »
The truth that a lot of SF5 fanboys don't want to face is the game is botched on many basic levels, is extremely barebones and the gameplay itself is good but not great.

Marketing was bad, but let's not act like word of mouth didn't help kill the game's sales.

I don't tend to check out discussion on technical issues with the game- are 'fanboys' really defending the game's issues?  Doesn't seem like it to me.  That said, we've had this same song and dance 1-2 times here already.  The game is not barebones and the game play is generally accepted as great.  It is still ridiculous that there's no arcade mode yet and they never bothered to fix survival mode, though.
ど助平

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018

Trent Dole

« Reply #7782 on: November 01, 2016, 03:51:26 PM »
I didn't know they were still making them but since the Fred Meyer I was at the other day had a 'full' shelf with six of them on it this past weekend I guess they are supplying up for the holiday season. ???
Hi

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #7783 on: November 01, 2016, 04:27:25 PM »
The truth that a lot of SF5 fanboys don't want to face is the game is botched on many basic levels, is extremely barebones and the gameplay itself is good but not great.

Marketing was bad, but let's not act like word of mouth didn't help kill the game's sales.

I don't tend to check out discussion on technical issues with the game- are 'fanboys' really defending the game's issues?  Doesn't seem like it to me.  That said, we've had this same song and dance 1-2 times here already.  The game is not barebones and the game play is generally accepted as great.  It is still ridiculous that there's no arcade mode yet and they never bothered to fix survival mode, though.

It's turned into such a running joke between shitposters and the defense squad that there are bingo cards for it.

Overall. Capcom fucked up by not reacting, Didn't drop price enough and kept expecting a sales "Bump" from Story Mode/Evo on ESPN that never came, instead of getting aggressive. And no doubt it lost players due to the botched updates and the CFN outages. It is what it is, now and Capcom has to live with their shitty decision making.
:yeshrug
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 05:34:10 PM by Take My Breh Away »

archie4208

« Reply #7784 on: November 01, 2016, 08:07:47 PM »
http://steamspy.com/app/289070

Civ 6 broke 1 million copies sold in less than 2 weeks.  :rock

archnemesis

« Reply #7785 on: November 02, 2016, 04:23:51 AM »
Well deserved.

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #7786 on: November 04, 2016, 08:31:13 AM »
I like that DOOM, a game that came out later and from a completely different genre, managed to put in Arcade Mode before SFV. :rofl

At least SFV's MP has a bigger community. :'(

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #7787 on: November 04, 2016, 10:52:01 AM »
Haven't bought SF5 yet (I'm still holding out hopes there'll be a Championship Edition with all the DLC in there and then some), but was over my friend's house and played it for a bit... it's decent but when we immediately played KOFXIV it's like night and day. KOF is just so much smoother, with a larger character roster.
^_^

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #7788 on: November 21, 2016, 06:15:28 PM »
Titanfall 2 bombed. Skylanders bombed. Rise Of The Tomb Raider on PS4 bombed spectacularly (Doing significantly worse than the Xbone version, if a thing like that was possible). Watch_Dogs 2 bombed. Dishonored 2 bombed. WWE 2K17 bombed. Gears 4 and Mafia 3 did OK. Only Battlefield 1, NBA 17 and FIFA 17 did well in October.

Who the fuck is running this insane industry?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7789 on: November 21, 2016, 06:20:17 PM »
Dishonored 2 has sold about 250k on Steam.
dog

thisismyusername

« Reply #7790 on: November 21, 2016, 07:15:06 PM »

I don't necessarily want to pin it 100% on the industry. You have economic issues (British Exit, Trump coming in) being a forefront with a possible depression happening in America soon again (as crazy as that sounds). A lot of folks are struggling and new IP's aren't gonna do well as most of the console/PC fanbase are in their 20-30's now and either have full-time jobs or game with friends so they pick up the same thing (Overwatch, BF) over single-player stuff (I feel FF is gonna underperform S-E's expectations).

But some of it is squarely on them pumping thousands of titles into the holiday season when most folks can't afford that.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #7791 on: November 21, 2016, 07:38:26 PM »
there's a shitload of good games all dropping at once. some are gonna get lost in the shuffle.
pcp

archie4208

« Reply #7792 on: November 21, 2016, 09:04:45 PM »
Titanfall 2 bombed. Skylanders bombed. Rise Of The Tomb Raider on PS4 bombed spectacularly (Doing significantly worse than the Xbone version, if a thing like that was possible). Watch_Dogs 2 bombed. Dishonored 2 bombed. WWE 2K17 bombed. Gears 4 and Mafia 3 did OK. Only Battlefield 1, NBA 17 and FIFA 17 did well in October.

Mobile publishers.

Himu

« Reply #7793 on: November 21, 2016, 09:11:14 PM »

Oscar was right.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #7794 on: November 22, 2016, 11:26:23 AM »

People aren't buying games as much anymore. Casuals are gone and the already-untenable AAA industry is bleeding on razor thin margins.

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #7795 on: November 22, 2016, 12:41:32 PM »
too bad there isn't a 4 month period before the holidays where nothing is being released

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #7796 on: November 22, 2016, 01:41:52 PM »
Sad if tomb raider bombed, game was great

Pretty sure Mean Streets of Gadzgetan will do great though :rock

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #7797 on: November 22, 2016, 02:12:40 PM »

People aren't buying games as much anymore. Casuals are gone and the already-untenable AAA industry is bleeding on razor thin margins.

Wrong

people are spending more on less games Im pretty sure

Tasty

« Reply #7798 on: November 22, 2016, 02:45:20 PM »

Wrong

people are spending more on less games Im pretty sure

So you agree with my post? :dunno

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #7799 on: November 22, 2016, 04:33:02 PM »

Nah, Casuals are still here. They are just buying less titles. NBA 2K17, Madden NFL 17 and FIFA 17 all did huge and it's FIFA's biggest ever year in the US (Also Pro Evo is fucking dead) while Minecraft and GTA V are still hanging around. They just don't buy except for those safe bets and maybe one or two of the big new IP's like Destiny and Overwatch or one of the AAA franchises that has actually had some polish and thought into it like Mortal Kombat X. They are spending but they are just satisfied with two or three releases a year and content to spend on that.

AAA needs a massive rethink.