Author Topic: The Ultimate Thread of Mecha Animu  (Read 14958 times)

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
Re: The Ultimate Thread of Mecha Animu
« Reply #120 on: October 20, 2007, 09:58:32 AM »
www.mahq.net has images and profiles of most of the mobile suits in the various series...useful for reference.  But I dunno about a site devoted to wallpapers and stuff.  If anyone does, give me the link. :D :D :D
PS4

Beezy

« Reply #121 on: October 20, 2007, 09:42:06 PM »
For a second their I thought I was witnessing a Raiden (MGS) moment in the 2nd Gundam movie.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I seriously thought that Ramba Ral grabbed Amuro's balls. Luckily I was wrong.  :lol
[close]

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore
« Reply #122 on: October 20, 2007, 11:18:37 PM »
I hope she names her son Bukkake.

Best vanity plate this side of ASSMAN.  :-*

Himu

« Reply #123 on: October 22, 2007, 01:38:35 AM »
Done with 08th MS Team. Moving on to 0083.
IYKYK

Beezy

« Reply #124 on: October 22, 2007, 01:54:41 AM »
I just finished Mobile Suit Gundam. I still can't believe what happened to Kycilia. :lol

Himu

« Reply #125 on: October 22, 2007, 01:57:45 AM »
FATALITY

DECAPITATED

Downloading Char's Counterattack and Victory Gundam and I shall be done with all the UC Gundam's. Then I'll take a break from Gundam (aside from 00 of course) and watch Gurren Lagan.
IYKYK

Valcrist

« Reply #126 on: October 22, 2007, 04:46:50 AM »

I actually rewatched stardust memory recently.  The animation is top notch.  The story itself isn't so bad as the way they presented it.  They scratch the surface of some good themes..like honor, self ability, and death, but never really go beyond that.  I dunno, I never considered this kind of anime to be "anime" in the sense of silly feminine lead characters, exaggerated anime faces, and other japafag things.

Anybody watch any of the really old stuff, like Getter robo and Mazinger?

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #127 on: October 22, 2007, 05:28:02 AM »
I grew up on Mazinger Z, Great Mazinger, Grandizer, Gaiking, and Ironman 28. :D

It was shown spanish-dubbed on afternoon TV, so I watched it every day after getting home from elementary school.
PS4

Himu

« Reply #128 on: October 22, 2007, 06:49:19 AM »

I actually rewatched stardust memory recently.  The animation is top notch.  The story itself isn't so bad as the way they presented it.  They scratch the surface of some good themes..like honor, self ability, and death, but never really go beyond that.  I dunno, I never considered this kind of anime to be "anime" in the sense of silly feminine lead characters, exaggerated anime faces, and other japafag things.

I don't see what's wrong with 0083 though. It doesn't have a feminine lead, or exaggerated faces. Recent Gundam's aside, Gundam isn't that type of anime.

[youtube=425,350]sJN4-dZBNa4[/youtube]

BOOM. HEADSHOT.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 08:01:23 AM by Himuro »
IYKYK

« Reply #129 on: October 22, 2007, 11:47:35 AM »
I need my Gundam 00 fix. There still isn't an mp4 encode of episode three.  :'(
野球

Himu

« Reply #130 on: October 22, 2007, 12:40:41 PM »
I'm on episode 8 of Zeta Gundam. I don't nearly like this as much as the original MSG and some other Gundam tv series.

Episode 6 didn't make much sense to me at all. Camille's angst is beyond annoying. Why did he throw his data of the Zeta Gundam against the wall and why was he trying to hide it? What did he find important about Recoa? Did he like or what? There wasn't much development there, he saw her for like one episode and then all of a sudden they act like they have a relationship.

I like it, but the story and characters (sans Quattro of course) just aren't as appealing as the original Gundam's. There's no one here to act as comedy relief (Kai, the three kids especially the little girl), the captain is extremely boring compared to Bright who's awesome, Camille sucks and I hate that he's always an emo taco (Amuro > Camille). On top of that, the villians aren't nearly as interesting so far. The "bad guys" in the original MSG were all classic. Char Aznable, Garma, Ramba Ral...but the "bad guys" in Zeta all suck. Are you telling me that Jared is supposed to be the main villian the entire series? The only good characters so far are Quattro and Emma.

Where are they going? Do they even have a destination?

I think apart of my dissatisfaction is the translation. I'm watching 2xX fansubs of the dvd rips, and they aren't up to par, I think. There's a lot of inconsistencies and typos, errors, and weird sentence structures.

I loved episodes 1-5.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 01:06:36 PM by Himuro »
IYKYK

Valcrist

« Reply #131 on: October 22, 2007, 08:44:55 PM »

I don't see what's wrong with 0083 though. It doesn't have a feminine lead, or exaggerated faces. Recent Gundam's aside, Gundam isn't that type of anime.

I guess I worded it a bit weird, but yeah, the early gundams, along with 0083, don't have that animu crap, which is why I don't see them as anime.

As for Zeta gundam...just keep watching I guess.  I felt the same way, but it either changed or grew on me...can't remember which.

Himu

« Reply #132 on: October 22, 2007, 09:39:42 PM »
Yeah, aside from Berserk I can't really think of a better example of MANIME than oldschool Gundam.
IYKYK

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #133 on: October 23, 2007, 12:45:07 AM »
I'm on episode 8 of Zeta Gundam. I don't nearly like this as much as the original MSG and some other Gundam tv series.

Episode 6 didn't make much sense to me at all. Camille's angst is beyond annoying. Why did he throw his data of the Zeta Gundam against the wall and why was he trying to hide it? What did he find important about Recoa? Did he like or what? There wasn't much development there, he saw her for like one episode and then all of a sudden they act like they have a relationship.

I like it, but the story and characters (sans Quattro of course) just aren't as appealing as the original Gundam's. There's no one here to act as comedy relief (Kai, the three kids especially the little girl), the captain is extremely boring compared to Bright who's awesome, Camille sucks and I hate that he's always an emo taco (Amuro > Camille). On top of that, the villians aren't nearly as interesting so far. The "bad guys" in the original MSG were all classic. Char Aznable, Garma, Ramba Ral...but the "bad guys" in Zeta all suck. Are you telling me that Jared is supposed to be the main villian the entire series?

Is this your first time watching Zeta?  Jerrid isn't the main villain.  Also, Camille's angst lessens later on in the series, once he starts getting bitchslapped on a regular basis.
PS4

Himu

« Reply #134 on: October 23, 2007, 03:23:33 AM »
Episode 8 was good. Haro!

Episode 9 is great. KAI!!!!

Seems 6 and 7 were just duds for now.
IYKYK

Shuri

« Reply #135 on: October 23, 2007, 07:14:40 AM »
Well I just got the dvd boxset for Gundam 8TH Unit. I'll be watching this all week; this is the first animu content i'll be watching Ninja Scroll came out.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #136 on: October 23, 2007, 07:16:08 AM »
8th MS Team is some of the best Gundam animu ever.  If you like it, you're almost assured to like other Gundam shows.
PS4

Himu

« Reply #137 on: October 23, 2007, 01:02:48 PM »
08th MS is probably my favorite Gundam ova.
IYKYK

« Reply #138 on: October 24, 2007, 01:39:27 PM »
YEAH!!!!

Quote from: Gunota
CCA & F91 Blu-ray

From this month's Gundam Ace, Bandai Visual is set to release both movies on Blu-ray format. Price is 7800 yen and the release date is Feb 22, 2008.

How about Gundam 00 on Blu-ray, too?
野球

Himu

« Reply #139 on: October 24, 2007, 01:50:34 PM »
Is Gundam F-91 good? What continuity is it?
IYKYK

« Reply #140 on: October 24, 2007, 01:57:22 PM »
Is Gundam F-91 good? What continuity is it?

Universal Century year 0123.

The anime movie, Mobile Suit Gundam F91 (機動戦士ガンダムF91, Kidō Senshi Gandamu F91?), was Gundam creator Yoshiyuki Tomino's attempt to launch a new Gundam saga, set thirty years after Char's Counterattack. He re-teamed with character designer Yoshikazu Yasuhiko and mecha designer Kunio Okawara for the occasion. The movie first aired in Japan on March 16, 1991.

Originally planned as a full-length television series, Gundam F91 hit a production snag due to staff disputes, and the project was stopped after the screenplays for the first thirteen episodes were written. It was then decided that what was made of the show would be condensed into a theatrical feature film. Predictably, condensing a story originally intended to be told over the course of fifty half-hour episodes into less than two hours of screen time required much of the original story to be cut, and the results are generally regarded as less than satisfactory.

The story of Gundam F91 revolves around teenage space colonist Seabook Arno, his girlfriend Cecily Fairchild, and the efforts of the Crossbone Vanguard militia, led by Cecily's grandfather Meitzer Ronah, to establish an aristocracy known as "Cosmo Babylonia". In keeping with Gundam tradition, the civilian Seabook is forced by circumstance to pilot the F91 Gundam, coincidentally designed in part by his estranged mother, Dr. Monica Arno.

The Gundam F91 story was fleshed out in much greater detail in Tomino's two-part novelization. Tomino's manga, Crossbone Gundam, is a direct sequel which takes place ten years after the events of the movie.
野球

Himu

« Reply #141 on: October 24, 2007, 01:58:10 PM »
So it's the last storyline in the UC series? I thought Victory was.
IYKYK

« Reply #142 on: October 24, 2007, 02:00:03 PM »
So it's the last storyline in the UC series? I thought Victory was.

Victory takes place in UC 0153, thirty years after F-91.
野球

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #143 on: October 24, 2007, 05:45:32 PM »
Gundam F91 has gorgeous animation (especially the first thirty minutes or so, it turns TV-quality as the movie goes on) but a very uneven storyline.  You can tell it was supposed to be a 50-episode show that got chopped down to a 2-hour movie.  The F91's design is fucking awesome, however.
PS4

« Reply #144 on: October 24, 2007, 08:01:09 PM »
The American DVD release of Gundam F-91 was cropped into a letterboxed 4:3 image. I CANNOT WAIT to pick it (and CCA) up on Blu-ray.
野球

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #145 on: October 24, 2007, 09:16:54 PM »
The American DVD release of Gundam F-91 was cropped into a letterboxed 4:3 image. I CANNOT WAIT to pick it (and CCA) up on Blu-ray.

Both discs?  I thought only one of the discs was cropped (it's a 2-disc set).
PS4

« Reply #146 on: October 25, 2007, 03:39:24 PM »

Both discs?  I thought only one of the discs was cropped (it's a 2-disc set).

It's cropped on both. None of them are true anamorphic prints, but the Japanese DVD release is.
野球

Himu

« Reply #147 on: October 26, 2007, 12:39:42 AM »
It's great to see my third favorite MSG character (Kai) turn into a fucking BADASS.

I LOVE ZETA!!!
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #148 on: October 26, 2007, 01:42:12 AM »
By the 9th episode this show really turns into something special especially if you're a big MSG fan. I'm on ep 14 and it's great seeing my favorite old characters again and developed.
IYKYK

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #149 on: October 26, 2007, 01:50:56 AM »
Has Amuro shown up yet?
PS4

Himu

« Reply #150 on: October 26, 2007, 02:04:04 AM »
yes
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #151 on: October 27, 2007, 12:28:07 AM »
This series is fucking amazing. GODDAMN what a story
IYKYK

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #152 on: October 27, 2007, 12:29:49 AM »
Believe in a sign of Zeta :rock
PS4

Himu

« Reply #153 on: October 27, 2007, 12:31:05 AM »
BELIEVING A SIGN OF ZETA
BEYOND THE HARD TIMES FROM NOWWWW
IYKYK

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #154 on: November 04, 2007, 08:43:51 AM »
I started watching Victory Gundam after taking a break from animu for a while.  The main character just got his first bitchslap, keeping with the tradition of Gundam pilots getting the shit beat out of them by their superiors for insubordinance. :lol

Except it wasn't a bitchslap, exactly, it was a hard fucking punch with a closed fist.  Oliver is hardcore. :rock
PS4

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #155 on: November 04, 2007, 11:03:14 AM »
This is fucking crazy.  Since the Victory Gundam episode where they introduced the Shrike Team (6 member female MS team)...

...they've been killing off a member of the team per episode!  They've already killed Helena and Mahalia, and it looks like they're going to kill off Kate in the next episode.  This show doesn't shy away from showing really, really dark stuff.  :o
[close]
PS4

Beezy

« Reply #156 on: November 05, 2007, 01:51:26 AM »
So I just finished watching Gundam 0080... :'( :'( :'(

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #157 on: November 05, 2007, 02:04:40 AM »
So I just finished watching Gundam 0080... :'( :'( :'(

That show always chokes me up.  Bernie is probably my all-time favorite Gundam character.

0080 ending spoilers:

I love that scene where he's at the spaceport and he's about to leave the colony, and he sees that girl who reminds him of Christina arguing with her boyfriend and he looks around, and then decides to go back and try to destroy the Gundam so the colony won't be bombed...even though he knows it's impossible.  You can tell when he's talking to Al on the phone that he's realized he's going to die.
[close]
PS4