Author Topic: Your Favorite PS1 Games  (Read 5249 times)

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Your Favorite PS1 Games
« on: January 23, 2008, 08:46:58 PM »
Let's pretend I'm taking a survey.
sup

drohne

Re: Your Favorite PS1 Games
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 08:57:08 PM »
Harmful Park
Little Ralph
Einhander
Rtype Delta
Umihara Kawase Shun

:bow

also gradius gaiden, klonoa, donpachi, and dodonpachi

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 09:00:38 PM »
am i gonna have to learn japanese to play any of this stuff
sup

Rman

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 09:01:14 PM »
Ape Escape
Tobal No.1
Final Fantasy VII+VIII
Chrono Cross
Castlevania: SOTN
Tekken 2+3
Street Fighter Alpha 3 (World Tour Mode was awesome.  The conversion was near arcade perfect too)
Resident Evil 1+2
Metal Gear Solid
Bushido Blade
Ridge Racer, Revolution, Rage Racer, R4
Klonoa
Bust of Groove
Tomba

Notable Mentions:
Namco Museum series, more for the presentation which was amazing.
Tenchu
Parappa the Rapper
Clock Tower It was actually Deception
Crash Bandicoot 1+2
Spyro

« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 09:24:48 PM by Rman »

Rman

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 09:07:15 PM »
Making that list made me kinda regret selling most of my PSOne games.  But I was a poor high school student and wanted new games.

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 09:14:12 PM »
FF9
Suikoden 2
Carnage Heart
Kings Field
SOTN
MGS...yeah, the first solid game was good
Vagrant Story...I guess
Tacos

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 09:14:55 PM »
internal section
strider 2
einhander
trap gunner
silent bomber
dodonpachi
raiden project
parappa
time crisis
mtv beat generator
raystorm
raycrisis
parodius
r-type delta
motortoon gp
omega boost

...too many to count.
pyh

Rman

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 09:17:01 PM »
I know this may sound like blasphemy, but I enjoyed my PSone more than my PS2. But, then again, I missed a lot of the PS2/Xbox/GCN generation.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 09:17:06 PM »
Swagman
King's Field
King's Field 2
ONE
Shadow Tower
Overblood
Parasite Eve
Alundra
Legend of Legaia
Guardian's Crusade
MediEvil
MediEvil 2
Final Fantasy 9
Tomba
Tomba 2
Bust a Groove
Bust a Groove 2
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 09:18:42 PM by demi »
fat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 09:17:58 PM »
Everyone will laugh, but my favorite PS1 game was WWF Warzone.  Here is a funny story I wrote on my blog about it:

On A Scale of One to Ten, Urinate

This is the story about how I once peed in a Wesson Oil bottle over a video game.

A long time ago, when I first started contracting out to the apartment complex, all of the maintenance guys used to play video games at lunch. We were particularly taken with WWF Warzone on Playstation. In WWF Warzone, you could create custom characters and play with up to three of your friends or enemies. For a Playstation game, the creation portion was fairly deep. You could pick your body type and adjust the size/shape, both male or female; you could pick a hairstyle; you could customize your outfit with various accessories; you could pick your own ring entrance and move set; and you could adjust the color or pattern on every single part - with almost endless variations.

Everyone else created reasonably realistic depictions of "normal" wrestlers. I made Lex Luthor and The Incredible Hulk. I also made a female wrestler called Crack Ho, who was skeletal thin with grey ashy skin, wearing a bra and panties with dollar signs all over them. I used to like watching wrestling when it was big stupid dudes wearing outlandish outfits and the whole thing was like a live-action comic book. I haven't watched in years, because now the characters are too "realistic," and it's just no fun. Too much thug life leather, not enough feather boas.

Every day at lunch, for months, we would have tournaments in our friend Chuck's apartment. Tag Team, Singles Matches, etc. We even wrote down the match lists, and bet sodas on the outcome. The object of the game, as in life, was to talk as much sh!t as possible while simultaneously destroying your opponent. I'm kidding, of course. It did really get heated from time to time, with screaming and cursing and threats of violence.

"Dude, I swear to GOD if you don't tag in I'm gonna beat your ass for real."

"If you stop what you're doing and help me cheat, right now, I will buy your lunch tomorrow, anywhere you want to eat. Even the steakhouse. I mean it."

When Chuck "betrayed" our old boss Jack by turning his back on him during a tag team match, Jack looked over at Chuck and said, with all sincerity, "I hope you die."

Me, I once swung a controller around and into the floor like William Wallace swung the mace around in Braveheart. I also once jumped up from the couch and kicked a whole game system into the air (that'll teach it), but that was over another game we'd played. I was on a RAW losing streak for nearly two months when, out of frustration, I created a character I named "F*ckin Loser," who was pretty much just a depiction of me in a T-shirt and jeans. Ironically, "F*ckin Loser" was unstoppable for weeks afterward.

Anyway, this stuff just became an obsession with all of us (this is back when my work was fun). We talked about it during the day, needling each other, lying about secret plans, plotting shocking backstabbing heel turns during Tag Team matches. We ended up staying after work to play, sometimes for a couple of hours.

I had recently lost a "Bra and Panties" match. What this meant is that the loser of the match had to go to the creation part and change the outfit of his MALE character to just a bra and panties, and he had to play with that character EXCLUSIVELY until he won another match.

So I was playing with the Incredible Hulk wearing a pink bra and panties.

After work one day, I could stand it no longer, and challenged someone to a match. I had to get the Hulk out of those pink panties, man. HAD TO. It was of the utmost importance that my imaginary superhero wrestler maintain his quiet dignity.

We were right in the middle of the match when Chuck's friend knocked on the door. I forget his name, so we'll call him Rob.

Rob burst through the door wearing a fast food uniform. Game was paused. I was winning when it was paused.

"I got to have some pee, Charles," he said, a frantic look on his face. We all started laughing.

Rob explained further. "They about to test me, and I been smokin up. I need that pee."

Chuck laughed and said no. We laughed because none of us had ever seen anyone beg for urine before.

"PLEASE CHARLES," Rob wailed, and produced a small balloon from his pocket. "All you got to do is p!ss in this balloon, and I can sneak it up in there some way, but I got to have it. I can't lose this job, man."

Chuck again laughed and said no. We laughed again because, well, pee in a balloon.

"Now Charles," Rob said, leaning forward and getting serious. "You know you can fit your little d!ck in this balloon hole and get a brother out of a tight. I got bills to pay, Charles. You'd put that jimmy in there if some chickenhead rolled through the door."

We were on the floor. Well, some of us were. I was beginning to get irritated. I was WINNING a few minutes ago. I needed to get back to WINNING, so I could strip the bra and panties off the Hulk. IT WAS VERY VERY IMPORTANT THAT I GET THE BRA AND PANTIES OFF THE HULK.

After several more minutes of PLEASE CHARLES I could take it no longer. I turned to Rob and said, "Hey man, if I pee for you, will you leave and let us finish this match?"

"Dog, I'm out the door soon as you finish." He looked so grateful.

"I'm not peeing in a balloon. I'll pee all over myself trying to get it in there. Find something else to put it in. You can put it in the balloon later."

Rob looked over at Chuck. "Let me get one of your cups, Charles."

"Hell no you can't have one of my cups! I got to drink out of those!"

Rob started looking around Chuck's kitchen area. "What else you got? You got a soda bottle?"

"No."

"What about this?" Rob had fished a Wesson Oil bottle out of a cabinet. It looked like it was empty.

"Fine."

Rob ran a little water in the bottle, sloshed it around, and poured it into the sink. He handed it over to me.

I took it into the bathroom and did the deed, trying not to laugh at the ridiculousness of it all because I didn't want to splash my leg with pee. When I finished, I held it up and looked at the results.

There, floating in my drug-free pee, were great globules of Wesson Oil.

I took it back into the living room. "When they test this," I said to Rob as I put the bottle in his hand, "they're gonna take you straight to the hospital."

Rob gave me a confused look and left, carrying a complete stranger's urine in a bottle of cooking oil. I lost the match. Another week passed before I was finally able to peel the bra and panties off The Incredible Hulk.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 09:19:32 PM by Eel_O_Brian »
sup

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 09:23:33 PM »
KULA WORLD (maybe called 'Roll Away' or some shit in the US)
FF VII, VIII IX, all fuck awesome
Vagrant Story
SotN
Wip3out, Wipeout 2097
Resident Evil 2 & 3
Legend of Legaia
Tombi (Tomba, whatever)
Wild 9 was actually pretty cool

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 09:36:41 PM »
Tenchu
FF7-9
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
Xenogears
R4
Wipeout 3
R-Type Delta
Monster Rancher 2
Armored Core: Master of Arena
Cool Boarders 2
MediEvil
Need for Speed: High Stakes
Parasite Eve
Suikoden
Syphon Filter
Thrasher: Skate and Destroy
Twisted Metal 2

Damn. This thread makes me wanna break out the Eminem and party like it's 1999.
UK

Beezy

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 09:43:33 PM »
I didn't own a PS1, so I didn't get to try much.

Wild Arms
FF VIII + IX
Brave Fencer Musashi
Metal Gear Solid
Rival Schools

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 09:45:50 PM »
I also like Bushido Blade a lot.  My old roommate and I used to play that quite a bit - it was fun to chase each other around after one of us had crippled the other.

And Battle Arena Toshinden, because it was the first game I ever got for it.  Looking back it is crap, but it sure was fun at the time.

And the Bloody Roar games were good drunken fun.
sup

INTUNEevolution

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 09:50:25 PM »
Chrono Cross!
Chocobo Racing!

I didn't play much PS1 :/
ONO

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 10:22:44 PM »
Star Ocean 2
Valkyrie Profile
Internal Section
Castlevania: SOTN
R-Type Delta
Final Fantasy 7
Arc the Lad 2
Einhander
FF Tactics
Vagrant Story
Suikoden
Suikoden 2
Alundra
Lunar: SSSC
Tales of Phantasia
Tales of Destiny
Tales of Eternia
Umihara Kawase
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
Front Mission 3
SaGa Frontier
Metal Gear Solid
Wild Arms
Vandal Hearts
Grandia
Dragon Warrior 7
Brave Fencer Musashi
Bushido Blade
Gradius Gaiden

Yeah PS1 >>>>>>>>>>>> PS2 for me, especially with regards to RPGs
^_^

Himu

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 10:30:22 PM »
um jammer lammy

since all the other games have pretty much been covered
IYKYK

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 11:05:28 PM »
What you guys said + Tempest X3

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 11:23:23 PM »
Wipeout XL
Ridge Racer Type 4
Final Fantasy Tactics
Suikoden 2
Klonoa
Intelligent Qube
Devil Dice
Jumping Flash!es
Front Mission 3

OMG too many...

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 12:07:48 AM »
oooh forgot about Klonoa, shit was tight

and G- Police was awesome, pretty good explosions for 1997

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 02:22:59 AM »
Oh man, so many good games.  SO.  MANY.  I don't know where to start.

Metal Gear Solid Integral - The best version of an amazing game.  This has the VR Missions disc and a first person viewpoint as its main additions.

Tenchu Shinobi Gaisen - The best version of the original Tenchu.  It's the American version with Japanese dialogue, plus a LEVEL EDITOR for your own custom made stages.  :bow  It was limited compared to the sequel, but so awesome at the time.

Tenchu 2 - This game had some issues (mainly due to the graphics engine), but it offered three characters with some different paths for each, plus an insanely awesome level editor that was far better than the original's.  I spent hours making custom levels and downloading others', playing them on VGS.

Bust A Move Dance And Rhthym Action - I still play this game even today.  Such an awesome dancing game with fun characters and music.

Bust A Move 2 Dance Tengoku Mix - Love this one just as much as the original.  I wanted to see a sequel so badly, and when it finally did happen as Dance Summit 2001, it was a pile of crap.  This was then followed up by BRITNEY'S FUCKING DANCE BEAT.  :yuck At least two amazing games came out of this series...

Street Fighter Alpha 3 - It's far from being the best version of this game, but in December 1998 when the Japanese version came out, this port was mind-blowing.  Unlike previous Capcom PSX ports (except for the original Alpha), this game retained more of the animation, and Capcom just went NUTS adding in truckloads of additional content.  There's the world tour mode, Pocketstation support, extra characters, stages, and more.  In terms of extras, Alpha 3 (on any platform) is the best home version of an arcade game that Capcom has ever made.

Real Bout Special Dominated Mind - SNK never really did all that well on the PSX.  Most of their ports were choppy, load time-filled messes, especially compared to the generally superior Saturn versions.  But SNK did good with their Real Bout games.  Even the original Real Bout was an excellent PSX port, cutting very little animation overall.  But for RBS, SNK decided to change up the game, and what we got is basically an upgrade to RBS, and one that completely differs from Real Bout 2, which followed it.  SNK removed the line-sway system, eliminating animation cutting issues, and then ADDED more background features and animation.  Characters got new special moves, plus unlockable super moves.  Super-cancelling was added.  Alfred from RB2 was made into a fully playable character.  A new end boss, White (who is clearly based on the main character from A Clockwork Orange) was added.  Plus a new anime intro and anime cut scenes in single player were added.  This port kicked ass.

Tobal 2 - This game still holds up today, thanks to its silky-smooth 60fps game play.  Tobal 2 really improved on Tobal 1, and with the dungeon mode, tons of characters could be made playable.  But it was the main game and character set that rocked, combined with the grappling system and the projectiles, that really made Tobal 2 shine.  It is an absolute crime that this game never came out in English.

Castlevania Symphony Of The Night - The best Castlevania game ever made.  That's all that needs to be said, really.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's also the best Metroid game ever made.  ;)
[close]

Parappa The Rapper - Fun rhythm game from Sony with some cute characters.  Freestyling was fun too.  I thought Parappa was going to blow up and be a major mascot for Playstation; at one point there was an anime series and even a restaurant in Tokyo (Cafe Rodney), but it just sort of faded away with the PS2.  Parappa 2 was just a blip on the radar.

Umjammer Lammy - The follow-up to Parappa that contained multiplayer and an entire hidden Parappa mode, with all the rock songs done in hip-hop style.  And THEN you could COMBINE the two together for Lammy and Parappa game play awesomeness. :bow

R4 Ridge Racer Type 4 - Namco's final PSX racer had some awesome cars, tracks, and tunes, and a nice large single player mode.  I liked this game more than Ridge Racer V.  Actually because of R4, I was pretty disappointed with RRV.

Jumping Flash! - Awesome first-person platformer/shooter.  IMO it is still the best 3D platformer of its time...better than Mario 64.

Jumping Flash! 2 - More of the same, but that's a good thing.

Ghost In The Shell - This might as well be called "Jumping Flash 3."  Developer Exact followed up JF!1 and 2 with an anime licensed game.  And surprisingly, it didn't suck!  It was great!  You control the Tachikoma tank and can walk and climb up or over any surface, shooting bad guys as you move throughout the levels.  The game also featured anime cut scenes that looked far more appealing than the original Ghost In The Shell movie; the art looked like Shirow's designs.  They also kept the same voice actors.  And the soundtrack FUCKING ROCKED.  :bow

Street Fighter EX+Alpha - This game seems to get a lot of hate nowadays, but I don't remember that being the case back then.  Anyway, SFEX was Capcom's forray into "3D" for Street Fighter.  Only it wasn't.  Arika took a cast of mostly original SF2 characters and put them into a game with a bunch of new, yet familar characters.  The graphics may have been polygonal, but the game play was entirely 2D.  A more old-school, Super Turbo-like play style was used, combined with super cancelling, allowing for multiple supers at once.  For the home version, Arika added Sakura and Dhalsim (hence "Alpha" in the title), ending CG movies, and an awesome, awesome arranged soundtrack.  EX2 rocked as well, but I have a preference for the character selection in the original.  Arika would later go on to make Fighting Layer for Namco, a great follow-up to EX2 with better game play and an entirely original cast, but it never got a home port.  And then they fucked it all up with the rushed EX3.

Viewpoint - Visually enhanced port of the Neo-Geo shooter from EA.  Different soundtrack, but still good...despite some frame rate issues, I enjoyed this port.

Rival Schools United By Fate - Follows SFEX as being a more 2D like fighter with polygonal characters.  This was easily Capcom's best new I.P. following Darkstalkers, with a quirky cast of high schoolers and their teachers, drawing from various school clubs and archetypes to make a fun versus-style fighter.

Resident Evil 2 - The follow-up to the original Alone In The Dark rip-off was a bigger, better game with four different scenarios to play through, and lots of violence, gore, n' puzzles to solve. 

Resident Evil 3 - RE2 1.5 follows Jill in her escape from Racoon City.  We also find that she moonlights as a hooker, since nothing else can explain her choice of attire.

Dino Crisis 2 - This is the best survival horror game on the PSX from Capcom, better than all the RE games, and far, far better than the boring original.  The game is almost devoid of puzzles and instead focusing on tons of pulse-pounding dino-killing action.  It's faster-paced and controls better than the typical "tank" RE-style controls as well.  Still worth checking out today if you've never played it before.

Strider 2 - A bit on the easy side, but the follow-up to Strider kicked ass.  The original was included as a bonus, too.

Einhander - The best game from Square not named "Tobal 2."

Slap Happy Rhythm Busters - This import-only cel-shaded 2D fighter had a very unique look and feel, and great game play.  The developer's previous games were the incredibly shitty Vs. and Shaolin, but the third time was the charm for them.  They scrapped their 3D crap and went 2D, adding a very stylish soundtrack and art style, plus rhythm game-like finishing moves.  Another title that still holds up quite well even today.

MTV Music Generator - There's far better music creation programs out there, but at the time, this kicked so much ass as a console title.  I loved making songs.

Raiden Project - When I was a kid, I loved Raiden in the arcade.  LOVED IT.  But then I moved and never saw the game in an arcade again.  I forgot the name, but I remembed how awesome it was.  Imagine my surprise when I first got my Playstation and found out that the original Raiden was that game...and it had a sequel!  I never took well to Raiden III (BORING!), but I really enjoyed Raiden 1 and 2.

Motortoon Grand Prix 2 - This game came out back when Polyphony knew how to make FUN games, not boring sim garbage.  A really great mix of racing and Mario Kart-style game play, and some nice bonus features.  I enjoyed this game more than any other "kart" title that followed it.
ど助平

drew

• sy
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2008, 02:41:08 AM »
Cool Boarders 4 

oh, and Megaman X4 singlehandedly got me through a nasty ear infection.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 02:44:12 AM by Drewsy »

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2008, 06:34:01 AM »
oh yeah forgot about ghost in the shelll... awesome rental! you can finish the game in one sitting pretty easily And the soundtrack is sweet, Ive got th official album  ;)

Cool Boarders 2 was wicked too, omg yagi :bow and Boss was a cool unlockable dude

edit: read through lytes list some more: I had always wanted to play Dino Crisis, might try and pick up a copy. And I believe Jill's outfit in RE3 was some attempt at 'fan-service'

great thread, is actually bringing back great memeories of the heyday of PS1

just remembered: I really enjoyed Jersey Devil for some reason, and Parasite Eve 2 was great also (very scary  :'()
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 06:37:30 AM by Scenester »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 08:00:05 AM »
oh yeah forgot about ghost in the shelll... awesome rental! you can finish the game in one sitting pretty easily And the soundtrack is sweet, Ive got th official album  ;)

Me too!  In fact, the song from the training stage by Dave Angel is my favorite...it's on my iPod playlist all the time.

edit: read through lytes list some more: I had always wanted to play Dino Crisis, might try and pick up a copy. And I believe Jill's outfit in RE3 was some attempt at 'fan-service'

Of course Jill's outfit was fan service!  That's not the point though!   :D

Make sure you skip Dino Crisis 1 and go right to 2!
ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 09:43:13 AM »
Dave Angel??? Gotta take a look at this game now...
^_^

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2008, 09:56:12 AM »
Dave Angel??? Gotta take a look at this game now...

Yeah, it's called "Can U Dig It."

The entire album is on Galbadia Hotel.  Here's a link to the song.

http://gh.ffshrine.org/song/1225/10

Speaking of game songs, do you know The Freshmaka?  He did a song on Acclaim's Beach Volleyball game that I have never been able to find, called "Hawaiian Shirt Day."
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 09:58:17 AM by lyte edge »
ど助平

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2008, 10:48:06 AM »
Wow, that was a great rundown, Lyte!
sup

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2008, 01:42:07 PM »
MTV Music Generator - There's far better music creation programs out there, but at the time, this kicked so much ass as a console title.  I loved making songs.

:o i am not alone!
pyh

Powerslave

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2008, 01:47:45 PM »
FF7-9
Crash Bandicoot 2-3-CTR
Breath of Fire III-IV
Wild ARMs
MGS
Abe's Exoddus
Tomb Raider 1 (very underrated)
RE 2
FFT
Tombi!
GTA1-2
Fighting Force
C: SOTN
Vigilante 8
Chrono Cross
Suikoden
Alundra

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2008, 02:27:22 PM »

:o i am not alone!

Heh, there was a really big hit in the UK garage scene a while back called "Pulse X" by Musical Mob, written entirely with this program. That song was one of the prototypes for the Grime genre of music.
^_^

Rman

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2008, 02:30:06 PM »
I forgot about the Oddworld games.  I loved those games.

CurseoftheGods

• just hanging around, being shitty
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2008, 09:20:51 PM »
Chrono Cross
Final Fantasy IX
Metal Gear Solid
Ape Escape
Rival Schools (I can't believe only two other people mentioned this!)
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha