Author Topic: 8bit master system comes to the VC  (Read 793 times)

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
8bit master system comes to the VC
« on: January 26, 2008, 10:03:02 AM »
YES - its about time.

The first new Virtual Console channel of 2008 has been confirmed and Sega fans should be rejoicing as it's the 8-bit Master System that will be getting the VC treatment. Game Gear software will also to be released under the same channel (which makes sense as technically the two consoles shared the same technology).

The first games in Japan will be the scrolling fighter Fist of the North Star (released in the West as the heavily censored Black Belt) and the cute shooter Fantasy Zone.

Our contact inside Sega Europe has confirmed that the Western VC will get Master System games in the next few months, possibly even as early as March/April time. Each title will cost 500 Wii points to download. Western releases have yet to be confirmed, but seeing as we got both of the aforementioned Japanese games it's highly likely that they'll come out over here too.

The Master System should be interesting for most US gamers as the machine was largely ignored when it was launched there, and Sega only really found success in American when the Genesis hit the market. However, in Europe the story was different as the Master System easily beat the Nintendo NES thanks to better marketing and a wide selection of decent software.

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
Re: 8bit master system comes to the VC
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 10:13:39 AM »
- Alex Kidd in Miracle World
- Shinobi
- Action Fighter

NOW

I also wouldn't mind replaying Phantasy Star on proper emulation with good audio...

That GBA version sucked and locked up often

GilloD

• TAKE THE LIFE OF FRED ASTAIRE. MAKE HIM PAY. TRANSFER HIS FAME TO YOU.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 11:05:36 AM »
When I was in Morocco last week, I saw a Master System IN BOX in the medina. I almost picked it up for chuckles, but our luggage was already packed. Still, of all the places.
wha

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 01:26:13 PM »
When I was in Morocco last week, I saw a Master System IN BOX in the medina. I almost picked it up for chuckles, but our luggage was already packed. Still, of all the places.

Yeah, it's funny how Master System was a pretty big hit nearly everywhere else outside of US and Japan.

This is cool news, I'm hoping we get Defenders of Oasis for Game Gear on this, definitely my favorite GG game. And of course they need to release the original Phantasy Star. Not a fan of the FM sound though (I know it's blasphemy, but I can't get enough of that happy-go-lucky cheesy US SMS music!)
^_^

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 05:12:07 PM »
Wonder Boy 3: Dragons Trap!

fuck I played a lot of SMS back in the day, 1st console I ever owned

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 05:28:16 PM »

Yeah, it's funny how Master System was a pretty big hit nearly everywhere else outside of US and Japan.

When I was a kid, one of the older cousins was giving away his MS & a bunch of games but no one wanted it.   :lol

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 05:40:30 PM »
Tails Adventure

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 06:28:40 PM »
Separately - Last Battle for Genesis - NOW!

GilloD

• TAKE THE LIFE OF FRED ASTAIRE. MAKE HIM PAY. TRANSFER HIS FAME TO YOU.
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 11:04:22 AM »

This is cool news, I'm hoping we get Defenders of Oasis for Game Gear on this, definitely my favorite GG game. And of course they need to release the original Phantasy Star. Not a fan of the FM sound though (I know it's blasphemy, but I can't get enough of that happy-go-lucky cheesy US SMS music!)

Funny you should mention my mention- I just saw TWO Master System's at a flea market here in Berlin. They're following me!
wha