10 (38.5%)
Juno (haha)
2 (7.7%)
Michael Clayton
3 (11.5%)
Atonement
3 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Evilbore's Academy Award for Best Picture and Academy Awards Discussion Thread  (Read 16187 times)

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
I figured we needed a thread an hour from showtime polling this forum on what they think should win, since we are all highly elitist and proud of it.

So, vote your asses off and give some discussion. My choice:

Honorable Mention:

« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 09:23:50 PM by Bloodwake »
HLR

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
Re: Evilbore's Academy Award for Best Picture
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 08:30:55 PM »
What you said.

I'm attempting an IRC jinx of Michael Clayton right now. It worked with Tom Brady.
AMC

bagofeyes

• blow me - I deserve it
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 08:34:37 PM »
i've only seen no country for old men, which was no country for old men the novel - lite edition.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 08:34:47 PM »
TWBB, although I if No Country wins that'll be cool too; anything but Juno :bow

As long as DDL wins best actor=win

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 08:44:51 PM »
Why is Transformers not on that list?! This is EVILBORE'S Academy Award, right?!

This is a travesty.
PS4

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 08:44:54 PM »
ATONEMENT!

spoiler (click to show/hide)
is the only movie i hadn't seen from that list
[close]
Tonya

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 08:49:54 PM »
Why is Transformers not on that list?! This is EVILBORE'S Academy Award, right?!

This is a travesty.

What do you think of There Will Be Blood?  Everything I've read about the film suggests to me that it's a simple film that's not saying as much as people think it is.  Even DDL's performance sounds pretty one dimensional.  If that role were played by a less famous actor, I couldn't see how that performance would be worthy of a nomination , much less an award. 

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 08:51:52 PM »
See the movie. I can understand why people wouldn't like it, but it's a great film. It's not particularly flashy I guess.

DDL's performance is beyond amazing. As I said in my acclaimed review, the performance is so good that you forget he's acting. He becomes the character

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 08:52:21 PM »
It's not out in Japan yet.
PS4

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 08:53:58 PM »
I think I'm the only one here who actually liked no country more than there will be blood actually  :-\

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 08:54:38 PM »
Sadly the only film I've seen out of the list is Juno,so thats my vote. :cookiem
Boo

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 08:56:15 PM »
I think I'm the only one here who actually liked no country more than there will be blood actually  :-\

I loved the book, so I'm predisposed to be rooting for that one...friendo. :heart
PS4

Smooth Groove

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 08:56:40 PM »
See the movie. I can understand why people wouldn't like it, but it's a great film. It's not particularly flashy I guess.

DDL's performance is beyond amazing. As I said in my acclaimed review, the performance is so good that you forget he's acting. He becomes the character

But there don't seem to be many nuances to that character.  Should he be rewarded for playing that character perfectly, if that character wasn't that hard to play in the first place?  

Well, Ebert agrees with you. 

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »
Miles Trahan called There Will Be Blood "the greatest movie in the last fifteen years" and gave it a score of 9.5/10.  So, I dunno, if that movie wins, I'll :lol
PS4

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 08:59:43 PM »

But there don't seem to be many nuances to that character.  Should he be rewarded for playing that character perfectly, if that character wasn't that hard to play in the first place? 

How come you feel like you know about the character's nuances when you haven't even seen the movie?
serge

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2008, 08:59:58 PM »

I also liked No Country more than Blood, but I wouldn't be disappointed if Blood or Michael Clayton won.

If Atonement wins, I'll  ::)

If Juno wins,  :tbslol
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 09:01:32 PM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2008, 09:00:15 PM »
Miles Trahan called There Will Be Blood "the greatest movie in the last fifteen years" and gave it a score of 9.5/10.  So, I dunno, if that movie wins, I'll :lol

The Departed won last year! He is a prophet!
AMC

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »

I know the Shake Award is depressing, but he's right, it really does deserve it.

No Country for Old Men is just as good though. I think for me it's just personal preference.

HLR

Smooth Groove

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2008, 09:02:15 PM »

But there don't seem to be many nuances to that character.  Should he be rewarded for playing that character perfectly, if that character wasn't that hard to play in the first place? 

How come you feel like you know about the character's nuances when you haven't even seen the movie?

By reading a plot synopsis, reviews and discussions.   :-\

Basically the same methods I use to troll games that I haven't played. 

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2008, 09:04:57 PM »
my trolling>your trolling :bow

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2008, 09:05:45 PM »

By reading a plot synopsis, reviews and discussions.   :-\

Basically the same methods I use to troll games that I haven't played. 

Nothing personal, but you just proved a theory I had about the majority of the internet.
HLR

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2008, 09:07:13 PM »
Smooth Groove is the greatest troll on Evilbore.
PS4

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2008, 09:10:28 PM »

no

i preferred no country
Tonya

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2008, 09:12:40 PM »
This thread confirms that No Country and There Will Be Blood will split votes and Clooney Hollywood fegs will make Michael Clayton win. :-\
AMC

TVC15

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2008, 09:15:57 PM »
I still haven't seen No Country or TWBB. :( 

serge

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2008, 09:16:30 PM »
I'm sorry TVC that you've been deprived of two of the best films of the decade.
HLR

TVC15

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2008, 09:17:24 PM »

I have a pretty active dislike of movie theatres :(  FTL
serge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2008, 09:18:25 PM »

That's what piracy's for!
©@©™

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2008, 09:18:59 PM »
I wanna see a pic of TVC's setup. :hyper
AMC

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2008, 09:19:16 PM »

I downloaded them both and then saw them both twice in theatre :bow :bow

TVC15

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2008, 09:20:38 PM »

I have screeners of both, but it's like "I WANT HD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"  Maybe if I am in a mood I will watch No Country tonight.
serge

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2008, 09:23:14 PM »

I have screeners of both, but it's like "I WANT HD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"  Maybe if I am in a mood I will watch No Country tonight.
do it.  you will NOT be disappointed.  The pacing is perfect.  it's really such a relaxing film to watch

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2008, 09:24:07 PM »

do it.  you will NOT be disappointed.  The pacing is perfect.  it's really such a relaxing film to watch

wtf WTF
AMC

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
Okay, so I just renamed the thread so I can ask:

WHY THE FUCK IS MILEY CYRUS AT THE OSCARS?
HLR

Smooth Groove

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2008, 09:26:07 PM »

Isn't it pretty dangerous to download films?  Especially if they aren't even on DVDs yet.  My cousin got a warning letter once from his ISP so I"ve never dared to DL a movie before. 

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
The pacing is perfect?  Mupepe is insane.  It's good, but way overrated.  I haven't seen There Will Be Blood, but I really have no interest.  Don't like Paul Thomas Anderson and the folks I trust all say it's just a Daniel-Day Lewis vehicle.  Pass.
PSP

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
The "pacing is perfect" line made me go wtf, but then the "relaxing" made me go WTF.
AMC

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
The pacing is perfect?  Mupepe is insane.  It's good, but way overrated.  I haven't seen There Will Be Blood, but I really have no interest.  Don't like Paul Thomas Anderson and the folks I trust all say it's just a Daniel-Day Lewis vehicle.  Pass.

hey Willco There Will Be Blood is "MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE"

hopefully that will make you go watch it.

And fuck you guys I want to see Ellen Page win. Mainly because I find her attractive.
HLR

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Nope.  I really dislike the artfag circle jerk that Paul Thomas Anderson creates, and I just don't like his filmography in general.  I almost bit the bullet to see There Will Be Blood for Daniel-Day Lewis, but when folks I trust told me the deal - I passed.  I haven't seen enough legitimately good films to waste time on a director I actively dislike, even if it's a flawed, but decent vehicle for an amazing actor.
PSP

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
Okay, so I just renamed the thread so I can ask:

WHY THE FUCK IS MILEY CYRUS AT THE OSCARS?

BECAUSE OH MY GOD HIMURO HAS A CRUSH ON JURNEE SMOLLETT MILEY CYRUS
PS4

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
Nope.  I really dislike the artfag circle jerk that Paul Thomas Anderson creates, and I just don't like his filmography in general.  I almost bit the bullet to see There Will Be Blood for Daniel-Day Lewis, but when folks I trust told me the deal - I passed.  I haven't seen enough legitimately good films to waste time on a director I actively dislike, even if it's a flawed, but decent vehicle for an amazing actor.

I don't know. I know people who hate PT but fucking LOVED There Will Be Blood, so whatever.
HLR

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Oh, than anyone hear that the Coen Bros. are adapting Michael Chabon next?   :drool
PSP

TVC15

I'm like 50-50 on PTA.  Boogie Nights is one of the best movies of the 90s (no, really), Magnolia is an indulgent mess (with some great performances), Punchdrunk Love is at least mostly successful.  Dude is clearly talented, and I like that he keeps doing projects so vastly different from each other, but at the same time, this tendency prevents me from getting into his hype queue.
serge

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas

You don't like P.T. Anderson either? Thank God I've met someone who shares my dislike for the guy and his movies.

And yeah, The Yiddish Policemen's something-or-other, some bizarre murder mystery/alternate history that takes place in Alaska.  I haven't been keeping up on my Chabon but it sounds unique, to say the least.  Coens :bow
PS4

Mupepe

• Icon
You guys are on crack.  Everyone I went with both times loved the pacing.  Just relax and watch it.  It never has any scene that gets you too worked up.  It's steady the whole way through :bow :bow :bow

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
Michael Clayton.

Back in Clooney's ER days, I would ALWAYS have my mom take me to get my hair cut exactly like his. He such a sexy man omg  :-*

Weren't you like five years old back then?
PS4

Smooth Groove

I'm like 50-50 on PTA.  Boogie Nights is one of the best movies of the 90s (no, really), Magnolia is an indulgent mess (with some great performances), Punchdrunk Love is at least mostly successful.  Dude is clearly talented, and I like that he keeps doing projects so vastly different from each other, but at the same time, this tendency prevents me from getting into his hype queue.

Is Boogie Nights on HD yet?  Heather Graham's full frontal in 1080P. :drool

bagofeyes

• blow me - I deserve it
Michael Clayton.

Back in Clooney's ER days, I would ALWAYS have my mom take me to get my hair cut exactly like his. He such a sexy man omg  :-*

ParticleReality: 'Gimme the Clooney!'

Mom: 'You heard him, bitch! The Clooney!'

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
You guys are on crack.  Everyone I went with both times loved the pacing.  Just relax and watch it.  It never has any scene that gets you too worked up.  It's steady the whole way through :bow :bow :bow

I think everyone in my theater was catatonic when the movie ended.
AMC

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
Your mom let you watch ER with her at 5 years of age?  I'm pretty sure that could be considered child abuse.
PS4

TVC15

To think that simultaneously, a hormoned up teenage TVC was jerking off to George Clooney as a then infant ParticleReality (with Clooney hair) was innocently playing with those big lego blocks that children can't accidentally swallow.
serge

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
oh jesus so unexpected :lol
PS4

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Too often the academy overlooks movies that aren't good.
©@©™

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
Stewart just fucking killed. :lol
AMC

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
I almost spit my drink when he said his stripper name was Olympia Dukakis.  :lol
©@©™

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
JAVIER!!!  :rock
:)

Mupepe

• Icon
JAVIER!!!  :rock
:bow :bow  totally deserved it

and :bow for Sweeney Todd's art direction winning as well :bow

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.