Author Topic: You guys know we are officially in a recession right?  (Read 6037 times)

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
Re: You guys know we are officially in a recession right?
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2008, 11:36:51 PM »
I like good vehicles.

Noone is denying that - but tell us how it is out at GM.

How do they fare in the global auto market? I have no idea.

Posting gains in every market but the US, big enough ones to provide a net gain including the US. Posting gains in the US too for the last 6 months or so.

drozmight

« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2008, 02:23:57 AM »
Guys, it won't be an official recession until AFTER the elections...
rub

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2008, 02:38:32 AM »
Ok - well I have an MBA and my CFO has a finance degree from University of Chicago.

We both say its technically a recession.

Show some creds or stop sounding like an angry useless teen debating semantics on Wikipedia.

End times... ...end fucking times man.

this is bizarrely apropros, i lol'ed
vjj

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2008, 03:30:59 AM »
Ok - well I have an MBA and my CFO has a finance degree from University of Chicago.

Show some creds or stop sounding like an angry useless teen debating semantics on Wikipedia.

Why do you keep using terms like "officially" and "technically"?  Are you the NBER?

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2008, 07:01:44 AM »

Ab, I love ya, but the "official" term for recession is pretty commonly known to anyone who's paid attention to the economy for the last 10-20 years (or past few months).  I first learned what the official term of recession meant post 9/11 when we were last in danger of it happening.  This isn't some skimming of wikipedia - this  is official terminology.

Now, for all intents and purposes I agree we are in a recession.  But to say you have an MBA which makes you more credible than anyone else here on a topic that's pretty much "general knowledge" is silly.  I'll have my MBA within a couple of years, but I don't think that makes me an authority on such topics...at least, not moreso  than your average person who follows the economy. 

LOL - actually I think there is a direct correlation between the fact that you are a few hops/clicks away from having an MBA and the fact that you have something useful to add here.

The average person does NOT really follow the economy - the average person follows the tabloids and the reality TV.

Do you think this recession could lead to depression?

I dont think so this time - but its almost what this country really needs for a social adjustment.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2008, 07:03:31 AM »

Ok, HANS
fat

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2008, 07:53:58 AM »
So like I asked for two easy perspectives in the OP and somehow thru much faggory this turned into "OMG YOU DONT KNOW WHAT RECESSION IS!!" - the usual wrist slitter EvilBore co-ops of course.

I think an upturn in economy is 12 months out - I think celebrity type entertainment industries will change alot in those 12 months.

Reality TV allowing and loving any redneck, camwhore idiot with tits coming onto broadcast TV for free and de-valuing the television actor combined with the ever amazing powers of the internet cutting into more and more more and more markets and slaying the value of other things will contribute to forced change. (music industry is next myspace/YouTube fegs)

ITs odd that I think most about this and I do not even work in entertainment.

The 4 horsemen of the apocalypse are all reality TV actors.

Lordmaji is right.

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2008, 07:55:29 AM »

but we aren't the average people are we?

ITs easy to tell who has gotten laid or not sometimes. ;)

DEMI = not recently

« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 07:58:57 AM by abrader »

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2008, 09:32:01 AM »

wkyd
🍆🍆

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2008, 12:45:38 PM »

Ok, HANS

:lol

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2008, 02:21:12 PM »
I think the average EB user is more informed than the average person.  Give folks a little credit...oh wait, that's a big part of what got us in this mess. Hurhur

As I said before, I'm no authority on this topic, but I don't remember a time in my coherent life where things looked more bleak - and I've pretty much been coherent about the news and economy since I was in 6th-7th grade.  Commodities are going through the roof, the dollar is going through the floor, the Fed is IMO getting too involved, wages are worse in relation to the cost of living than they've been in a long time, and the job market in many areas is utter shit.  Oh, and we're stuck in some perpetual occupation of some other countries that only serve as a money sink and haven for government/contractor corruption that's costing us billions while the government is doing whatever it can to reduce taxes.

I don't think the sky is falling (yet) but I understand why some people think so.  Our economy hasn't been "great" since the late 90's and most of that was just paper wealth.  The only thing that really propelled people's worth this decade has been real estate which was supposed to be immune to recessions.

On an upside, I just got hired for an internship at $17.25/hr

:usacry
🍆🍆

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2008, 08:23:44 AM »

I think the average EB user is more informed than the average person.  Give folks a little credit...oh wait, that's a big part of what got us in this mess. Hurhur

I agree with everything you typed except for this bit - while there is a decent sized selection of GREAT posters on this forum - the average user is a shitstain little GAF leftover.

I can barely be bothered at times.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2008, 08:28:04 AM »
Hold your nose up a little higher, abrader. :(
PS4

Candyflip

« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2008, 08:49:22 AM »

I agree with everything you typed except for this bit - while there is a decent sized selection of GREAT posters on this forum - the average user is a shitstain little GAF leftover.

I can barely be bothered at times.

We love you too.
ffs