Author Topic: Wizardry 8 seems to have the best combat system in a turn-based RPG  (Read 12022 times)

Mondain

• no bias
You know, without using characters on hexes displayed on an isometric view. In fact, characters aren't displayed at all, it's only a blank first person view and the character portraits are on the sides of the screen.

I'm floored, not only did they eliminate random battles (you see the enemies on screen beforehand and have a chance to avoid them), but there's so much depth, so many sweet little touches that it's a joy to play just to fiddle with the different possibilities.

So the enemies appear in front of you, and if you don't have a mage or someone with a ranged weapon you need to move close to them in order to be able to hit. Before any turn you can choose to either run or walk, and that allows the enemies to strike first, and then you can move wherever you like. The attacks of your heroes are pre-set, before a turn begins you only have to click on a button and everything goes on automatically; however those pre-set actions can be changed individually to each character to your liking. In combat when you click on a character's portrait you see icons for the actions that your character can do. If you use a spell on the next turn the mage will keep its pre-set action, but if you want to cast the same spell such an icon will appear.

There's a lot of depth to the spells! You can choose the amount of mana points that you want to allow to a spell, and if your mage is inexperimented spells using a lot of mana points could backfire and hit your own party.

The options for character classes, leveling, inventory, equiping weapons, pieces of armor, make those from most any other RPG pale in comparison. There's a bit of level scaling when it comes to the enemies you meet in order to provide a constant challenge, but unlike in Oblivion it remains tame in order not to eliminate the feeling of reward as your character become better. I could go on and on and on!

It's very funny, the game absolutely doesn't take itself seriously. The heroes make jokes all the time, and it's a mix of sci-fi and tolkienesque fantasy.

What's cool is that it works on modern PCs even with Vista and there's native widescreen support.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Played it, game is crap.

Dragon Quest > Wizardry
fat

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
TOEE is the greatest turn-based combat system of all time. Although it is dragged down a bit by having to follow the AD&D ruleset to a T.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Wizardry has always had a special place in my heart all the way back from when I had Wizardry 7 Gold on my original computer.

I really like Wizardry 8, although I haven't played it as much as I'd like to. I'm with you on the battle system, it makes positioning your party and using your environment to your advantage an absolute necessity and a lot of fun to play around. One trick I used is to back into a corner so enemies can't get to my weaker party members. Another trick is to hide at the top of a hill to negate the advantage of mages and enemies with ranged weapons. The system also makes for some fairly epic battles with your party, a dozen enemies, and a group of friendly NPCs all duking it out in the middle of town as peasants flee for their lives.
dog

Crushed

• i am terrified by skellybones
I remember reading somewhere that Horii (I think) loved Wizardry 1 to death. He compared the constant disk loading to "preparing for battle in my own living room!"
wtc

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Wizardry 8 is awesome, but it's also kinda sad because traditional computer RPGs pretty much dried up after that. All the major series; Ultima, Wizardry, Might and Magic, their respective developers are all defunct. Plus Black Isle of course, and now Bioware has gone console. End of an era, man.
©@©™

Mondain

• no bias
MMORPGs should be outlawed

Enl

Wizardry 8 is awesome, but it's also kinda sad because traditional computer RPGs pretty much dried up after that. All the major series; Ultima, Wizardry, Might and Magic, their respective developers are all defunct. Plus Black Isle of course, and now Bioware has gone console. End of an era, man.

:'( 

This thread has made me pull out my long shelved and barely played Wizardy 8. I think I'll give it another shot tomorrow.
mmm

Mondain

• no bias
MONDAIN guess what game is this:
(the JPG compression on those shots is crazy, it's actually looking as clean and sharp as W8)

(Image removed from quote.)

Wizardry 9? Modded Wizardry 8?

Nope. Wizards & Warriors!

I remember this game very well but didn't try it back in the days since it received reviews in the 7-8 range.

Now I know full well that modern shitty reviewers would never give a proper score to a good old-school dungeon crawler.

The sad truth is that with today's reviewers that all ressemble 1UP college intern douches, it's like ten times as bad. They're ten times less sensible.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 08:08:44 AM by Mondain »