Author Topic: Watchmen trailer  (Read 16399 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: Watchmen trailer
« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2008, 08:13:21 AM »
Shake has spoken:
shit, that looks... ehh. synder's style doesn't fit the material at all, i hope the film is more than just oodles of cgi and slow/fast-motion scenes and retains at least a fifth of the brilliance of the source material. and yeah, the costumes look way cheesy.

also, TDK was fucking brilliant. overall, i'd say a solid 9/10, with a few faults, but nothing that even remotely takes away from how its overall excellence.

patrickula

« Reply #121 on: July 18, 2008, 09:26:01 AM »
The HD trailer is hot, the shot with the Comedian on the Owlship is  OMG :o

Absolute Watchmen is very nice, I preordered it before it came out I was so excited.  It might be my favorite nerd possession.  The recoloring is very tasteful and I don't mind the matte paper.  Sounds like  I made a mistake by not getting absolute LXG though.

Darunia

« Reply #122 on: July 18, 2008, 09:59:44 AM »
Does Absolute Watchmen have worthwile extra content? I just looked up some pics on Amazon, but they're too small and unclear. Photos like those Eric P posted for lxg 2 plz?

patrickula

« Reply #123 on: July 18, 2008, 10:13:38 AM »
The extra content is decent but not amazing, I think it was included in an earlier hardcover printing, the Graphitti addition. It's not as great as it could have been if they could have actually gotten Moore involved, but that wasn't gonna happen.
I think there are some script excerpts, pinups/promotional art by Gibbons, and um, I can't remember what else.  It's not exactly jam packed but it's stuff that wasn't in the SC version I have.  There are 48 pages apparently.
Here's a description I found: "DC has reprinted everything that was included on the Graphitti Designs edition that has been out of print for years. Included are Alan Moore’s and Dave Gibbons thoughts and afterwords on producing the series, a sampling of the scripts, background information on every character and just about every promotional piece of art produced for this series, including overseas art and the portfolio album art."
I'm not sure I'd buy the book for the extras, but for I would for giant sized cleaned up Watchmen WITH extras :rock

I can take some pics tonight if you want.

Darunia

« Reply #124 on: July 18, 2008, 03:25:32 PM »
that would be awesome, thanks

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #125 on: July 18, 2008, 03:39:19 PM »
don't buy it for the extras

buy it for the treatment of the artwork

it's VERY well done.

shame about DC being cocks to Moore so that we can't get any more info about this series from the writer, however, Gibbons has a book coming out.

http://www.amazon.com/Watching-Watchmen-Dave-Gibbons/dp/1848560419/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216410130&sr=1-5
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 03:42:48 PM by Eric P »
Tonya

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #126 on: July 18, 2008, 03:55:03 PM »
USA

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #127 on: July 18, 2008, 04:02:35 PM »
Also Lost Girls looks cool, story wise. How is it?
USA

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #128 on: July 18, 2008, 04:35:04 PM »
The trailer looked decent to me until I saw

"directed by the man who brought you 300"

so the vote on this film will probably still be out until I watch the film.
HLR

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #129 on: July 18, 2008, 04:55:21 PM »
Eh.  Trailer was okay.
püp

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #130 on: July 18, 2008, 07:26:12 PM »
Watchmen trailer > The Dark Knight
PSP

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #131 on: July 18, 2008, 07:27:18 PM »
I wouldn't've known last night, since they didn't attach any trailers with the IMAX showing.
püp

cool breeze

« Reply #132 on: July 18, 2008, 07:41:29 PM »
I wouldn't've known last night, since they didn't attach any trailers with the IMAX showing.

The trailer was in my IMAX showing, but the shitty Terminator one wasn't.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #133 on: July 18, 2008, 07:42:17 PM »
It's a pretty great trailer and I think Snyder has proven himself as a great director (let's face it, the Dawn of the Dead remake would've completely sucked under anyone else and 300 was about as good as an adaptation of that could get).  Now he can prove himself as a great storyteller if he pulls this off.

The film looks very promising.  It angered me when I went to the comic book store on lunch break to here the employees nitpicking it.
PSP

cool breeze

« Reply #134 on: July 18, 2008, 07:44:11 PM »
I quite liked the Dawn of the Dead remake.  I am actually sure that is the reason we have Dead Rising and not the original.  300 wasn't that great through and I do think it could have been adapted better.  I'll give you one way to fix it: STOP ALL FUCKING SLOW MO.

patrickula

« Reply #135 on: July 18, 2008, 08:39:25 PM »
shame about DC being cocks to Moore so that we can't get any more info about this series from the writer, however, Gibbons has a book coming out.

http://www.amazon.com/Watching-Watchmen-Dave-Gibbons/dp/1848560419/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216410130&sr=1-5
OMG  :hyper

I agree that slow motion is a baaaaad idea except maybe during a certain feat Veidt achieves near the end.

I will take some pictures of the Absolute Edition later tonight, EB exclusive  :-*
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 08:45:22 PM by patrickula »

patrickula

« Reply #136 on: July 18, 2008, 10:33:35 PM »
I just took some pics of the Absolute version, but here's something on colorist John Higgins' site about the work he did recoloring the book:
http://www.turmoilcolour.com/abswatch.htm
Looking at the books side by side it seems he mostly made the work a bit more subtle and realistic, while also correcting numerous errors in the original print.
I've got some photos with pages with obvious differences, I'll upload shortly...

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #137 on: July 18, 2008, 10:35:23 PM »
it really is kind of amazing what Malibu and Image brought to coloring in the Comic Book industry
Tonya

patrickula

« Reply #138 on: July 18, 2008, 11:48:08 PM »
OK, I spent too much time on this  :lol  Can you tell my girl is out of town this weekend?
Within the spoiler are links to 17 images of the Absolute Watchmen and the Watchmen SC.
First you can see it's too big to stand up on my bookshelf (I also have another shelf of comics under these two).  A couple photos are close ups of individual pages with the SC first then Absolute, and there are some significant color differences on a few of them.  Towards the end are some photos of the extra stuff.  There are actual spoilers in here!
As you can see there are a few drastic color changes, and outside of that the colors overall are quite a bit less intense and more natural.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 12:40:46 AM by patrickula »

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #139 on: July 19, 2008, 12:05:01 AM »
remind me to round you up for SPXPO this year if you're interested
Tonya

patrickula

« Reply #140 on: July 19, 2008, 12:19:45 AM »
I definitely want to go. I was going to go last year but something came up :-\

Darunia

« Reply #141 on: July 19, 2008, 09:29:45 AM »
Thanks for the pictures Patrickula. Seems like my paperback edition has the changed coloring.

I hadn't seen these pics yet

EvilBoris

« Reply #142 on: July 19, 2008, 09:44:57 AM »
 fight scene stills always give the impression of dancing in my mind.

patrickula

« Reply #143 on: July 19, 2008, 10:21:39 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)
I was wondering if they were going to leave this scene in.  Is this movie going to be an R or PG-13?

The fight scene looks kinda goofy and Nite Owl doesn't look very fat.  The other two pics are great.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #144 on: July 20, 2008, 02:56:04 AM »
It was funny seeing the reactions of two of my friends tonight. After seeing this trailer, they were just like "what the fuck is this?"
AMC

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #145 on: July 20, 2008, 03:00:30 AM »
I just took some pics of the Absolute version, but here's something on colorist John Higgins' site about the work he did recoloring the book:
http://www.turmoilcolour.com/abswatch.htm
Looking at the books side by side it seems he mostly made the work a bit more subtle and realistic, while also correcting numerous errors in the original print.
I've got some photos with pages with obvious differences, I'll upload shortly...

It seems like the made the Black Freighter stuff look a little more old, too.  I have to say I am impressed with the recoloring.  They struck a (probably rather tricky) middle ground between being subtle and providing something new for old fans.  I'm hoping the Sandman strikes a similar balance.
serge

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #146 on: July 20, 2008, 04:53:53 AM »
I was just looking online and apparently Absolute Watchmen is OOP. I couldn't find it in-stock anywhere and the only copies on Amazon Marketplace were $200. I wonder if they're going to reprint it to tie-in with the movie. I hope not because I've already got my copy.  ;)
©@©™

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #147 on: July 20, 2008, 05:01:02 AM »
I ordered on borders.com and they said it would ship in 4-8 weeks. So it can't be totally out-of-print...I hope. :-\
AMC

TVC15

« Reply #148 on: July 20, 2008, 05:32:40 AM »
I was just looking online and apparently Absolute Watchmen is OOP. I couldn't find it in-stock anywhere and the only copies on Amazon Marketplace were $200. I wonder if they're going to reprint it to tie-in with the movie. I hope not because I've already got my copy.  ;)

It looks like there is another hardcover version, cheaper, in the coming months.  No idea how it ranks as far as extras go.
serge

Darunia

« Reply #149 on: July 21, 2008, 05:34:23 AM »
damn a tvc post in the gaf thread about the novel's chapter 5 blew my mind. I never realized that chapter was symmetrical in the characters and locations used in the panels. Damn.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #150 on: July 21, 2008, 08:29:34 AM »
Yeah.

I think i'm one of the few people who loved Watchmen as a story but hate graphic novels. I wish it was a regular novel.
USA

Darunia

« Reply #151 on: July 21, 2008, 12:52:09 PM »
Ok so I just read what happens at the end of Tse's script and if that's the ending of the actual movie, then this thing is suddenly dead on arrival for me. Way to completely fuck up what made the final chapter so great

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #152 on: July 21, 2008, 01:00:58 PM »
Ok so I just read what happens at the end of Tse's script and if that's the ending of the actual movie, then this thing is suddenly dead on arrival for me. Way to completely fuck up what made the final chapter so great

could i ask you to spoil?

well in PM so that people don't have a chance to read it by mistake or something
Tonya

TVC15

« Reply #153 on: July 21, 2008, 01:15:35 PM »

could i ask you to spoil?

well in PM so that people don't have a chance to read it by mistake or something

Same here, plz.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
If giant fake alien is out, I figured it would be moving in the right direction
[close]
serge

Crushed

• i am terrified by skellybones
« Reply #154 on: July 21, 2008, 01:19:54 PM »
Ooh, ooh, tell me too.
wtc

patrickula

« Reply #155 on: July 21, 2008, 01:22:06 PM »
Me too.
No alien I could accept but it depends on what it's substituted with.
[close]

Darunia

« Reply #156 on: July 21, 2008, 01:33:44 PM »
The aftermath is the important part to the whole thing.

which is what's ruined. if snyder follows that Tse script exactly, then this is what happens.I'm going to spoil it now so I can't be held responsible for accidental mouse hovering

dreiberg kills veidt
[close]

something simple like that is all it takes to ruin the whole thing.

patrickula

« Reply #157 on: July 21, 2008, 01:44:04 PM »
WUT
FUCK
NO
 :maf

Crushed

• i am terrified by skellybones
« Reply #158 on: July 21, 2008, 02:02:24 PM »
The aftermath is the important part to the whole thing.

which is what's ruined. if snyder follows that Tse script exactly, then this is what happens.I'm going to spoil it now so I can't be held responsible for accidental mouse hovering

dreiberg kills veidt
[close]

something simple like that is all it takes to ruin the whole thing.
wtc

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
« Reply #159 on: July 21, 2008, 02:04:48 PM »

IT WAS SOOOOO BIG!
:)

Darunia

« Reply #160 on: July 21, 2008, 02:39:17 PM »
I still doubt whether that's gonna be the ending though. Snyder has made a huge deal out of his loyalty to the source and if he ends it that way, he can expect a horde of furious man children hating him for all eternity. I found this

Anywho, the word from Snyder himself is/was that they were constantly working on the script until production began (the dudes who wrote Transformers were brought in at the eleventh hour. And before you vomit, they actually appear to be intelligent guys -- geeks at heart -- who I suspect might have brought the Watchmen script down to Earth); the word from the set is that Snyder is going for a panel-by-panel adaptation of the comic. So basically you can find the Tse script pretty easily but it won't give you an idea of how this movie is going to turn out.

Beside that, Roberto Orci & Alex Kurtzman came in and practically rewrote the entire screenplay.

They sent their work on over to Damon Lindlelof (a true fan at heart, and even used "The Freighter" as a key plot point in "Lost") and he loved it.

I hope this is accurate and this thing got a bunch of rewrites. They can mess with the cause of destruction all they want (as long as it's something outlandish/alien-like), but drastic stuff like that is pretty much a certain turn off for all fans.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #161 on: July 21, 2008, 02:45:50 PM »
I also hope that they don't bypass the carnage - Hayter's script, post 9/11, replaced the alien with a magical bomb that didn't leave bodies or blood. Fuck that - the carnage has to be real and awful and violent and disgusting or the entire gambit doesn't work.
乱学者

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #162 on: July 21, 2008, 02:47:05 PM »
I also hope that they don't bypass the carnage - Hayter's script, post 9/11, replaced the alien with a magical bomb that didn't leave bodies or blood. Fuck that - the carnage has to be real and awful and violent and disgusting or the entire gambit doesn't work.

the h-bomb?
Tonya

Darunia

« Reply #163 on: July 21, 2008, 02:59:14 PM »
Matthew Goode interview, confirms Bubastis is in :p

Capone: I'll probably see you there. Do you have any idea what [director] Zack Snyder will be showing?

MG: I would imagine, considering the trailer is going out with DARK KNIGHT. That makes good sense for Warner Brothers. So I'd imagine they're going to be showing extra material, otherwise people who made the effort to get down there will go, "I'm pissed. This is the **** we've already seen." I haven't seen anything myself really. I've had to looping, some re-recording of sound on one or two tiny scenes in it, so they've either cut me out of the movie or the original recording was as good as it needs to be. So I've seen so little, but the stuff I've seen has been "Oh, **** me! Wow! There's Bubastis; there's my ****ing cat!" Because there's very little CGI in it.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37561

patrickula

« Reply #164 on: July 21, 2008, 03:08:31 PM »
Quote from: Goode quoting Snyder
"The running time is about three hours right now, and what Warner Bros. don't really get yet is that I've made a three-hour arthouse film."
:omg

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #165 on: July 21, 2008, 03:09:29 PM »
3 hours is a long ass time. It better be real good.

patrickula

« Reply #166 on: July 21, 2008, 03:14:36 PM »
Normally a 3 hour movie is a bad thing for me.
In this case, it should be an even longer miniseries or something of that nature... so I'm gonna take this as a good sign that it doesn't have too much essential stuff cut out.
Unless the studio forces it (which I kind of doubt nowadays with all these overly long yet popular movies around).

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #167 on: July 21, 2008, 03:18:16 PM »
That's three hours minus Black Freighter, 4.5-5 with

that's pretty impressive ... I mean that's basically a 12 episode, 22-minute per episode miniseries. a bit compressed, but hardly unworkable
乱学者

TVC15

« Reply #168 on: July 21, 2008, 03:27:17 PM »
He said elsewhere (I think the EW article) that the final running time will be 2.5 hours.
serge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #169 on: July 21, 2008, 03:35:25 PM »
He said elsewhere (I think the EW article) that the final running time will be 2.5 hours.

Yeah, EW said the studio wanted 2 hours and 25 minutes.
©@©™

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #170 on: July 21, 2008, 03:56:16 PM »

Is a this adequate description?
Boo

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #171 on: July 21, 2008, 04:11:30 PM »
Well, you don't have to murder an entire city, just around half of it should be enough.
©@©™

patrickula

« Reply #172 on: July 21, 2008, 04:24:42 PM »

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #173 on: July 21, 2008, 04:56:39 PM »
That's three hours minus Black Freighter, 4.5-5 with

that's pretty impressive ... I mean that's basically a 12 episode, 22-minute per episode miniseries. a bit compressed, but hardly unworkable

also, as genghis wrote earlier in the thread, there is going to be an Under the Hood documentary (based on the "book"), which I guess is around an hour long. So around 6-6.5 hrs altogether, more than enough time I think
sup

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #174 on: July 21, 2008, 05:17:33 PM »
Have they said how long the Black Freighter thing is supposed to be? I wouldn't think it'd be longer than 20-30 minutes.
©@©™

Darunia

« Reply #175 on: July 21, 2008, 05:42:34 PM »

patrickula

« Reply #176 on: July 21, 2008, 06:21:57 PM »
I like it :hump

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #177 on: July 21, 2008, 06:22:49 PM »
Have they said how long the Black Freighter thing is supposed to be? I wouldn't think it'd be longer than 20-30 minutes.

I think it's about 90 minutes to two hours. It's being done as an animated feature, released to stores 5 days after the movie. While that decision was partially for reasons of cost, I think it will be a cool way of making the "comic within a comic" feel like it has a separate tone from the now-realistic main story. The "final cut" on Blu-ray/DVD will integrate the content into the movie.
乱学者

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #178 on: July 21, 2008, 06:37:18 PM »
They should've done black frieghter rotoscoped.

Actually this movie would've been pretty cool Rotoscoped.
USA

patrickula

« Reply #179 on: July 21, 2008, 07:23:21 PM »
Ew, no :-X