Author Topic: The Bionic Commando thread of Demi the Elite Commando (and I guess Scenester)  (Read 20484 times)

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
Ok well I hadnt tried vs or co-op yet so I had no idea.

The music is the worst part about it...other than that its a great recreation of the game with much tweaked.

The overhead parts seem much harder - till you get grenade :)

JustinP

• I put bananas up my butt. ONE MORE DUMB POST AND I'M BANNED!
overhead view has minor aim assist that makes it pretty easy

cool breeze

The damn PS3 stiff D-pad is killing my thumb.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
I played multi for like 40 minutes with Disposable White Guy (co-op too!) and it's a blast.  I'd imagine four players in deathmatch is hysterical.  We spent all our time grappling away from one another 'till someone got a shield power-up or a shotgun/missile power-up. :lol
PSP

JustinP

most of the challenges 9-24 are pretty hard but 25-32 are all easy...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 02:49:37 AM by JustinP »

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
i don't know why castle crashers has become the great white hope for downloadables -- alien hominid was merely cute. i'll try the demo tho

I think that it's an obvious homage to Guardian Heroes has a lot of people excited.  I wasn't particularly thrilled with Alien Hominid (yes, it was cheap), but it was acceptable as a "first real game" and I think Castle Crashers will turn out fine as long as they keep the cheapness in check.  It could still be as hard as fuck, but notch down that cheapness.

Also, oldskool beat-em-up is the deadest formerly-popular genre this side of decent graphic adventure.  I fuckin love me some 2D beat-em-ups, and I wish the genre hadn't died.  When I load up MAME, it is invariably to get a beat-em-up fix.
serge

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
Got it on 360, its pretty fun.
o_0

drohne

there are some old school beatemups that remain richly playable, but even in the genre's heyday, most of those games were unbalanced quarter-suckers that got by on big sprites and multiplayer. and nothing in alien hominind makes me think that the behemoth can pull off sound genre design. i hope it turns out well. but i'm skeptical.

MrAngryFace

That's why there's demos!
o_0

TVC15

there are some old school beatemups that remain richly playable, but even in the genre's heyday, most of those games were unbalanced quarter-suckers that got by on big sprites and multiplayer. and nothing in alien hominind makes me think that the behemoth can pull off sound genre design. i hope it turns out well. but i'm skeptical.

What you say is definitely true--when I spin up MAME, I only ever play two or three of these games before realizing that there is little variety between them, but the Guardian Heroes inspiration of Castle Crashers has me seeing stars.  I will gladly eat crow if it turns out awful.
serge

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
They really needed to recreate the snare shower magic of the OST theme song!

The music gets better further into the game - and the boses are a HUGE addition and make this worth playing thru.

I remember what it was like to play classic NES Bionic Commando again on the Capcom Mini Mix cart for GBA - I loved it but never did finish it again.

A wii VC release of the NES classic cant hold up to this. Too bad re-armed is too big to be a Wii-ware game...

dark1x

A wii VC release of the NES classic cant hold up to this. Too bad re-armed is too big to be a Wii-ware game...
I don't believe Grin even has any Wii experience.  This engine wasn't designed for that platform and I doubt it would port easily.  The game would lose a lot of visual effects as the lighting model is actually pretty complex (which is surprising for a 2D game).

I believe it was mentioned in an interview that they wanted BC on the Virtual Console but something prevented it from happening.

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
I don't believe Grin even has any Wii experience.  This engine wasn't designed for that platform and I doubt it would port easily.  The game would lose a lot of visual effects as the lighting model is actually pretty complex (which is surprising for a 2D game).

I believe it was mentioned in an interview that they wanted BC on the Virtual Console but something prevented it from happening.

Nintendo doesn't wanna have it drive users to Bionic Commando re-armed and BC next-gen.

Vrolokus

Yep, Nintendo stonewalled for some reason.

archie4208

Yep, Nintendo stonewalled for some reason.

Gotta make room for quality games such as Splatterhouse 2 and Sonic the Hedgehog (SMS version)

Vrolokus

Gotta make room for quality games such as Splatterhouse 2 and Sonic the Hedgehog (SMS version)

:lol

Wait a minute, why am I laughing?

:'(

Guybrush Threepwood

• Upskirt Connoisseur
How are you supposed to play this game with the 360 d-pad?
ಠ_ಠ

TVC15

I got the PS3 version, lewlz.
serge

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
Some of the virtual stage challenges are bloody frustrating!

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
They are really going to need to make a bionic commando REARMED 2. Ned new content with this engine!

Vrolokus

Why bother?  The analog stick works fine.  Since the arm works diagonally on it's own, the only directions you ever have to hit are up/down or left/right.

JustinP

Why bother?  The analog stick works fine.  Since the arm works diagonally on it's own, the only directions you ever have to hit are up/down or left/right.
i don't see how that lends itself to an analog stick.  the game plays much better with a d-pad--i only use the analog stick for the overhead parts. 

Vrolokus

i don't see how that lends itself to an analog stick.  the game plays much better with a d-pad--i only use the analog stick for the overhead parts. 

What I was trying to say was: since you only have to ever hit very broad directions, even an analog stick suffices.  It's not like VF5 or something where precise directional movements are crucial.

JustinP

What I was trying to say was: since you only have to ever hit very broad directions, even an analog stick suffices.  It's not like VF5 or something where precise directional movements are crucial.

well if you do accidently do a diagnal, it's still going to use the diagnal hook instead. 

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
I play with Analog just fine, maybe I'm just a better gamer than you all but maybe that's just me
fat

Guybrush Threepwood

• Upskirt Connoisseur
I play with Analog just fine, maybe I'm just a better gamer than you all but maybe that's just me

Oh yeah, well I play while being felated by a bear trap.

ಠ_ಠ

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Do not
fat

Vrolokus

well if you do accidently do a diagnal, it's still going to use the diagnal hook instead. 

*shrug*  I think it's pretty unlikely people are trying to hit something as simple as UP or RIGHT and inputting a diagonal instead.  Usually it's the other way around.

The point is: you can get away with using the analog with this game, because the motions aren't complex.  The timing of them is, but not the motions themselves.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Damn Area 4 boss is ridiculous... can't even get around cause I'm bumping into people
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Nevermind, killed him in a single Grenade... confirming awesome gamingness
fat

JustinP

*shrug*  I think it's pretty unlikely people are trying to hit something as simple as UP or RIGHT and inputting a diagonal instead.  Usually it's the other way around.

The point is: you can get away with using the analog with this game, because the motions aren't complex.  The timing of them is, but not the motions themselves.
the game is built for a d-pad.  i'm sure you could get by with a lot of handicaps, such as using an analog stick, but there's not really a reason to unless you're playing with the shitty 360 pad.  *shrug*

i could use the analog stick if i wanted, but there's no reason to--it controls much better with a d-pad. 

Nevermind, killed him in a single Grenade... confirming awesome gamingness
what took you so long?  you've had a day head start and you're only that far? 

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
I didnt play it since then cause I was playing Pub Games and Operation Darkness and getting those out of the way.
fat

cool breeze

Area 10 gets me so angry.  Fucking radio control drone bitch, I will pee on your corpse when I finally kill you.

Vrolokus

the game is built for a d-pad.  i'm sure you could get by with a lot of handicaps, such as using an analog stick, but there's not really a reason to unless you're playing with the shitty 360 pad.  *shrug*

i could use the analog stick if i wanted, but there's no reason to--it controls much better with a d-pad. 

...aaaand now you're just acting like you're in some sort of pissing contest.  Because I can't think of a single way this game plays any differently via analog or digital.  The analog isn't a handicap by any stretch of the imagination, and saying it's "built for the d-pad" when either works identically makes it seem like you just love to type.

Maybe you prefer d-pads to analog; if so, bully for you.  But that's personal preference, the game certainly doesn't require it, and a person's play isn't going to be impacted by using an analog instead.

JustinP

...aaaand now you're just acting like you're in some sort of pissing contest.  Because I can't think of a single way this game plays any differently via analog or digital.  The analog isn't a handicap by any stretch of the imagination, and saying it's "built for the d-pad" when either works identically makes it seem like you just love to type.

Maybe you prefer d-pads to analog; if so, bully for you.  But that's personal preference, the game certainly doesn't require it, and a person's play isn't going to be impacted by using an analog instead.
it's built for the d-pad because there's no additional functionality attained with the analog stick (except for maybe in the seperate overhead portions, which i do play with an analog stick).  they don't work identically, either.  the analog stick translates excessive analog input into digital output -- d-pad is digital to digital. 

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Analog is fine
fat

Vrolokus

it's built for the d-pad because there's no additional functionality attained with the analog stick (except for maybe in the seperate overhead portions, which i do play with an analog stick).

1) There's no "additonal functionality" with the d-pad, either...

2) but there's no "additional functionality" with analog aside from the top-down segments.  And the hyper-bazooka.  And arguably the hacking sequences... So to recap:

d-pad: no additional functionality
analog: additional functionality
=
BCR built for the d-pad, using the analog is a "handicap"  

Gotcha.  

they don't work identically, either.  the analog stick translates excessive analog input into digital output -- d-pad is digital to digital. 

Oh brother.

Analog works fine for this game.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 01:58:33 AM by Vrolokus »

border

Did you ever post a FINAL JUDGMENT on Contra 4, by the way?  I got a copy as a Christmas gift, and I played a little but I just couldn't get into it.  The dual-screen setup annoyed me more than anything else.  I'm wondering if it's worth picking the game back up or not.  I loved Shattered Soldier, but obviously they took a different direction with the DS game.

As for beat-em-ups......yeah, I still cringe when I see someone post an Appreciation Thread for one of Konami's licensed efforts.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 01:49:15 AM by border »

Vrolokus

Contra IV is pretty great, but it's a departure from SS.  If you liked Contra III, you'll like Contra IV.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Contra 4 is garbage

The Challenge Rooms in this game are garbage too
fat

cool breeze

Analog is fine.  D-pad is vastly superior.

You can tell they considered that people would use the analog stick when they added the ability to walk.

JustinP

it's built for the d-pad because there's no additional functionality attained with the analog stick (except for maybe in the seperate overhead portions, which i do play with an analog stick).

1) There's no "additonal functionality" with the d-pad, either...

2) but there's no "additional functionality" with analog aside from the top-down segments.  So to recap:

d-pad: no additional functionality
analog: additional functionality
=
BCR built for the d-pad, using the analog is a "handicap"  

Gotcha.  

they don't work identically, either.  the analog stick translates excessive analog input into digital output -- d-pad is digital to digital. 

Oh brother.

Analog works fine for this game.

they could have potentially made you control the claw with waggle gestures.  but it would be a more extreme scenario where you have excessive input for a game with very simple mechanics.  you see how waggle gestures wouldn't be as ideal as a d-pad or even an analog stick, right?  if you can't see the advantage of using a d-pad for a game with no analog mechanics, you're an idiot.  using an analog stick does not give you any more control over the game, yet it takes away the precision the d-pad gives you.  it's a simple concept.  

The Challenge Rooms in this game are garbage too
i think i may like the challenge rooms more than the actual game.  
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 02:02:34 AM by JustinP »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
I'm on Room 18... fucking distinguished mentally-challenged
fat

Vrolokus

you could potentially control the claw with mouse gestures if you wanted.  but it would be a more extreme scenario where you have excessive input for a game with very simple mechanics.  you see how mouse gestures aren't as ideal as a d-pad or even an analog stick, right?  if you can't see the advantage of using a d-pad for a game with no analog mechanics, you're an idiot.  using an analog stick does not give you any more control over the game, yet it takes away the precision the d-pad gives you.  it's a simple concept.  

Oh yes, I'm the idiot.   :lol

Dude, I think you just slipped into vintage dfyb mode and decided to take a position - however untenable - simply because in the end tally it would make the PS3 look good and the 360 look bad.  No need to start getting red in the face just because it's, in this case, bullshit.  The whole mouse thing is just silly and pointless, when you yourself said aspects of the game are indeed tooled for the analog stick.  I guess you'd argue the game was not only "built for the d-pad", but built so the player switches control methods throughout the game?  That's an odd choice Grin made.   ::)

I've done enough of the challenge rooms - and enough of them well - to say what I've been saying all along: analog is fine for this game, because the only directions you ever have to hit are cardinal points.  It's purely a matter of what feels better to your thumb, the d-pad or the stick.  

JustinP

you could potentially control the claw with mouse gestures if you wanted.  but it would be a more extreme scenario where you have excessive input for a game with very simple mechanics.  you see how mouse gestures aren't as ideal as a d-pad or even an analog stick, right?  if you can't see the advantage of using a d-pad for a game with no analog mechanics, you're an idiot.  using an analog stick does not give you any more control over the game, yet it takes away the precision the d-pad gives you.  it's a simple concept.  

Oh yes, I'm the idiot.   :lol

Dude, I think you just slipped into vintage dfyb mode and decided to take a position - however untenable - simply because in the end tally it would make the PS3 look good and the 360 look bad.  No need to start getting red in the face just because it's, in this case, bullshit.  The whole mouse thing is just silly and pointless, when you yourself said aspects of the game are indeed tooled for the analog stick.  I guess you'd argue the game was not only "built for the d-pad", but built so the player switches control methods throughout the game?  That's an odd choice Grin made.   ::)
yeah, you're the idiot--it's like i'm arguing with a fucking 12 year old who can't just think logically.  if d-pad really wasn't the better option, this wouldn't even be an issue.  the only reason you're having to defend using an analog stick in a 2D remake like a fucking tool is because you got it on 360. 

an odd choice grin made, you say?  it's a fucking remake of an NES game -- a game that was designed for the d-pad.  the only reason the analog stick is useful in the top down portion is because of the inherent qualities of the analog stick in that you have full 360 range.  but the same advantages DO NOT carry over for the main singleplayer portion, the challenge rooms, or the multiplayer--the large majority of the game relies exclusively on digital mechanics that are designed around and work best with a digital interface like a d-pad.   

analog is fine for this game, because the only directions you ever have to hit are cardinal points.  
if the only directions you need to hit are cardinal points, how is d-pad not the better option?  the d-pad is cardinal points :lol

« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 02:41:49 AM by JustinP »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
How the fuck do you hurt Area 02 boss?

What a piece of shit game
fat

MrAngryFace

WHY DONT U GO EAT UR GAS SsATION FUD
o_0

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Maybe you should
fat

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
JustinP, I bought it on PS3 and I use the analog sticks. :P

Made it to the last level tonight.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
cleared each of the three sections, though not in one go - need to go stock up on lives before I give it my all. also like what they did with "Master D"
[close]
乱学者

MrAngryFace

Im eating for two at the 7-11 tonight!
o_0

JustinP

some people even prefer analog sticks over mouse and keyboard for first person shooters and RTS.

cool breeze

How the fuck do you hurt Area 02 boss?

What a piece of shit game

Which one is that? the guy with a sword who just stands there as enemies spawn? just use a grenade.

JustinP

yeah it's hard to know what levels people are talking about--why are they all out of order? 

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
No... its the one where you have to do distinguished mentally-challenged blocking exercises in the machine

All I can do is swing and get a couple shots in afterwards... are they for real? Fuck this developer
fat

MrAngryFace

Yeah robot and fat sword guy were easy
o_0

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
some people even prefer analog sticks over mouse and keyboard for first person shooters and RTS.

your argument doesn't make any sense, though.

I find it easier to hit diagonals on the analog than the d-pad because of its unified nature; sometimes I just press one of the two parts of a diagonal and it registers incorrectly. why should I use the control scheme that causes me to make mistakes again? :P

and do you understand that there's no lack of precision or response time between using the d-pad or using the analog stick, so WHY ARE WE EVEN HAVING THIS DISCUSSION
乱学者

cool breeze

No... its the one where you have to do distinguished mentally-challenged blocking exercises in the machine

All I can do is swing and get a couple shots in afterwards... are they for real? Fuck this developer

The one where you have a half circle around you and you just block in that direction? that boss was incredibly easy.  You should have the bazooka and it only takes a few hits to take him down.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
How do you shoot him with the Bazooka?
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
OH WTF you can fucking grab on another ledge right next to him... how the fuck was I supposed to know that
fat

cool breeze

What the hell were you doing the whole time then? You see the guy exposed, you see two ledges, and you never stopped to think that they can be related?

So far the bosses are all really easy except for the one guy in area 7 or 8 (I think).  That boss fight was awesome, and it really makes me want to try versus in this game.