Author Topic: The Bionic Commando thread of Demi the Elite Commando (and I guess Scenester)  (Read 20485 times)

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
The tunnel levels make me want to hurl the controller at a wall -- these weren't in the original were they?  Do you have to complete them to get to the end of the game?

Not that I know of, although the bottom tunnel gets you the secret dossier which gives you hints to where weapon powerups and the shinjujubeans or whatever they're called are at. The top tunnel gives you the helmet.

Heh, I thought that said anjunabeats upon glancing at it real fast. Anyways, what, does this not play identical to the NES version? I always thought it was to be a 1:1 remake with improved graphics. No time to d/l the demo for the next few days and see for myself :(
^_^

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Why are we trashing a NES port with fancy graphics for controlling like a NES game?
PSP

FatalT

Woohoo, I just beat it on normal. I need to go back and find out where all the weapon upgrades are to get both the achievement for all weapons and weapon upgrades and also the database achievement. Then it'll be time to move onto Hard or Super Hard.

cool breeze

I am a bit confused about that too.  I don't understand what you people were expecting; it has always been a remake of the NES game with a few tweaks.  I haven't played it yet, but if it plays exactly like Bionic Commando on the NES, then that has me confident that I would really enjoy it.

This situation reminds me of people complaining about the controls in Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles for not playing like SotN.

Vrolokus

I am a bit confused about that too.  I don't understand what you people were expecting; it has always been a remake of the NES game with a few tweaks.  I haven't played it yet, but if it plays exactly like Bionic Commando on the NES, then that has me confident that I would really enjoy it.

You'll really enjoy it. 

It plays virtually identically, the only differences actually being subtle refinements.  People complaining either 1) forgot how unforgiving the original was, 2) never played the original (or any game prior to 1990), or 3) are soft like marshmallows.

JustinP

• I put bananas up my butt. ONE MORE DUMB POST AND I'M BANNED!

You'll really enjoy it. 

It plays virtually identically, the only differences actually being subtle refinements.  People complaining either 1) forgot how unforgiving the original was, 2) never played the original (or any game prior to 1990), or 3) are soft like marshmallows.
for complainers, i think "3) are soft like marshmallows." is a constant

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
Just played the demo. Didn't like it one bit.

Guess I won't even bother when it goes on sale.
nat

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
I'm pretty sure demi said he was starting out playing on hard, cut him a break.
©ZH

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
No, I was doing fine on Hard itself - it's the controls that are fucked

I'll jump back in and try to beat the game first, then go back with the upgraded weapons and armor
fat

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
i must havr..

the nes game was completed more times than any other game i ever played!

FatalT

All I need are 2 Yashichis and the Plasma Gun upgrade and I'll get 3 achievements. :D

Jansen

this might come as a shocking surprise coming from me but the truth must be told: the psn version is better.

no tearing (at least in the demo), better shadows and as an added bonus for a ps3 game, it upscales.

that said this game like most psn/xbla titles isn't for me.

i really want to know why they couldn't get any aa going on in a fucking sidescroller.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 10:14:00 PM by Wicked Laharl »

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
The only screen tearing I've seen in the XBLA is in the tutorial level.  And I've played it a bit.
PSP

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
ITs not on the PSN store :(

Himu

I am playing BC for the first time. I got to the end of the first level I think and there's a door but I can't open it.
IYKYK

Vrolokus

I am playing BC for the first time. I got to the end of the first level I think and there's a door but I can't open it.

Are you inside or outside?  In either case, you have to hit the communication rooms first before those doors open. 

Also: the levels are close enough to the original that - if you find yourself stuck - you could read a FAQ for the NES game.  In most cases.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 10:37:30 PM by Vrolokus »

Himu

Are you inside or outside?

In either case, you have to hit the communication rooms first before those doors open. 

Outside. I hit one communication room.

IYKYK

Himu

THe controls are fine. Gamers are babies.
IYKYK

cool breeze

I am also finding the controls a pain in the arse - yes, it's a remake of the NES version, but that means we can update the graphics/sound etc, but we simply must have the same shitty controls? :/

This isn't like MGS where everyone acknowledged that the controls in older games was shit; a lot of people, including myself, do think that Bionic Commando had great controls.  As long as they aren't changed, then I am happy with it.  Same case with Castlevania games.

Although yes, if they ever decided to make a sequel or something, then by all means they should learn from games like Umihara Kawase and Ninja 5-0.

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
Well fuck this shit.

Bring on Castle Crashers.
Tacos

cool breeze

I can't believe now people are forgetting about Galaga Legions.  Ridiculous.

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
Bring on Galaga Legions.
Tacos

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
Just played the demo, it was short (come on, they didn't even let me fight the boss, or have the second part of the first stage with the elevators in it?) but it was pretty much the same thing as the NES version, right down to the controls. I wouldn't have it any other way. Oh, it had a lifebar and I didn't have to worry about grinding to build up my HP in this version. I don't get why everybody's so upset at this game's controls/gameplay... I thought the original Bionic Commando was a universally well-liked game.

It's definitely getting a purchase from me next time I pick up an XBLA points card. Can't wait for Galaga Legions, but with the rate the Summer of XBLA is going, people are gonna get really hyped up, play the game and declare it's shite.
^_^

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
I'd declare it sooner but they wont release it early
fat

FatalT

After playing hard mode, I can now see why demi isn't enjoying this game.

IT'S FUCKING CHEAP AS SHIT. I don't even want to play anymore.

FatalT: enemies have massive amounts of health
FatalT: you die in probably 3 hits as opposed to 4-5
FatalT: enemies fire more often
FatalT: regular enemies throw grenades
FatalT: enemies aren't stunned from your gunfire
demi: they get stunned sometimes
demi: its like "oof" and then they're back to shoving dicks in your face
FatalT: I made it to the cave and one enemy decided to diagnally fire at me but NEVER STOPPED
FatalT: what the fuck am I supposed to do to that, I can't do shit
demi: lol, yep
FatalT: fuck. that. shit.

drohne

i don't know why castle crashers has become the great white hope for downloadables -- alien hominid was merely cute. i'll try the demo tho

braid :bow2
bionic commando :bow2
galaga legions :bow2

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
Castle Crashers will be fun, no harm in looking forward to it
o_0

cool breeze

I actually wasn't a fan of Alien Homnid at all.  I remember when it came out for Gamecube I tried it at an Gamestop in California, and the game wasn't that fun.  The way I was able to grasp why people enjoyed the game is because it was a 2D action game coming out in this day and age, and that is great and everything, but it is still not that great.  If I really wanted to play a good 2D action game, I had tons on my SNES or Genesis I could go play.  This is also how I justify why people put up with Odin Sphere and convinced themselves it was good; to be fair, Odin Sphere was gorgeous.

But Castle Crashers does look like it will be really good, and especially considering it has online play.

So far I will rank the recent XBLA/PSN/Wiiware (lol) offerings this month:

1) Geometry Wars 2
2) Pixel Junk Eden
3) Braid
4) Fable 2 Pub Games

I don't have Bionic Commando Rearmed yet, but I expect it to be #1 for me.  I also completely expect Galaga Legions and Ratchet Tools of Destruction to top that list next week.  Castle Crashers also is probably going to be at the top.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Alien Hominid is better than Contra 4
fat

drohne

i bought alien hominid twice, and all i can get out of it is an urge to play metal slug

buying geo wars once was plenty for me

i really like the pj eden demo, but i kind of feel like the lengthy demo is as much of the game as i need
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 12:24:21 AM by drohne »

cool breeze

I am enjoying Geo Wars 2 much more than the first.  The new modes are really awesome and give you so much more to do with the game.

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
Yeah GeoWars 2 >>> GeoWars but a pretty large margin
o_0

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
i hate when demi is right but i did not like the demo of this

the trailer of the other bionic commando looked pretty cool though

I imagine that is what most of the almost 400mb download went towards considering the demo was like 2 mins long
萌え~

drohne

it seems very faithful to the original, and i can see why newcomers might dislike the controls. but if you like the soundtrack, you should definitely check out the original, which has some of the best chiptunes ever

border

My only recollection of Alien Hominid was that it was just super-cheap.  Tons of hard-to-see bullets flying at high velocity.

Now I don't see that as a reason to expect Castle Crashers to suck, but I don't see that as a reason to expect it to be good either.

Enl

For those with friends the multiplayer deathmatch is pretty fun. It's essentially one on one with many levels to choose from. It's pretty addicting if you have some decent players for friends. I kinda wish Capcom would make a Mega Man fighting game similar to it.
mmm

cool breeze

For those with friends the multiplayer deathmatch is pretty fun. It's essentially one on one with many levels to choose from. It's pretty addicting if you have some decent players for friends. I kinda wish Capcom would make a Mega Man fighting game similar to it.

In a way they have.  Mega Man Power Battles/Fighters is basically you and a friend going against bosses. 

Enl

In a way they have.  Mega Man Power Battles/Fighters is basically you and a friend going against bosses. 

Eh, I'm talking about one on ones. I'm quite fond of the dueling it out with another player. Never was a big co-op person.
mmm

cool breeze

Well, then hopefully BCR sells well and Capcom gets Grin and some of the MMPU team to work on MMPU2 on PSN/XBLA with online multiplayer of some kind.

Enl

That and an advanced level creator.  :drool
mmm

DJ_Tet

Bionic Commando is easy.  Weaksauce gamers.

Seriously.  I beat the original on a two day rental, and have beaten the game countless times since.  I can't wait to get my hands on this one, last time I played it was on GBA through emu obviously.

This and Castlevania II were the only games (well and Faxanadu) that I beat on a two day rental. 
TIT

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
Alright, I switched the difficulty to easy, but now it is way too easy. Enemies go down in a single hit and there are invisible blocks on alot of gaps that prevent dying from falls. It is more enjoyable than normal, but too easy imo. I made it to the completely dark level, but I am not getting it. I made it to the computer HQ and he mentioned flares, but I leave the computer room and everything is pitch black still. Trying to platform up, but I can't see shit. Where are the fucking flares?!?!! :maf
jon

dark1x

i don't know why castle crashers has become the great white hope for downloadables -- alien hominid was merely cute. i'll try the demo tho

braid :bow2
bionic commando :bow2
galaga legions :bow2
Right on.  I don't understand all the Castle Crashers love either.  It always appeared rather repetitive to me.  Couple that with the huge life bars for every enemy and you have something that seems like it would get old quick.  Of course, I thought Alien Hominid was a terrible run and gun shooter as well.  Even the retail console game felt like an old flash title and lacked the finesse and design qualities of games like Metal Slug and Contra (the side scrolling games).  Castle Crashers seems like it will compare to classic brawlers in much the same way.

I'm shocked that people are bitching about Bionic Commando.  It does play like the NES game yet offers minor improvements to the formula.  I have to wonder if the people bitching really HAVE played the original at all (or have completely forgotten it).  What did you think it would play like?!

I'm surprised that the PSN version turned out superior, though.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
I'm not surprised.

there was another one before it, commando i think? 1080p, 2xaa and no framedrops on ps3 while 360 is only 720p 4xaa with framedrops.

lazy developers.

archie4208

I'm surprised that the PSN version turned out superior, though.

It's the power of :bow CELL :bow2

Kestastrophe

Alright, I am starting to get used to this a bit now. I never played the original, and from the sounds of it this game is a faithful remake, including the controls. So anyone who has not played the original, expect a fairly steep learning curve and I would definitely try it on easy mode first.

As for getting stuck on 04, I ended up beating it without the flares. Then I went to 13 and got the flares and I was informed that I needed them to beat the map. It's this type of thing that I don't care for, because you pretty much have to have previous knowledge of the game. For someone without any context of this game, I thought that they did a bad job of explaining that you need to visit the friendly areas before you visit the enemy areas.
jon

FatalT

Alright, I am starting to get used to this a bit now. I never played the original, and from the sounds of it this game is a faithful remake, including the controls. So anyone who has not played the original, expect a fairly steep learning curve and I would definitely try it on easy mode first.

As for getting stuck on 04, I ended up beating it without the flares. Then I went to 13 and got the flares and I was informed that I needed them to beat the map. It's this type of thing that I don't care for, because you pretty much have to have previous knowledge of the game. For someone without any context of this game, I thought that they did a bad job of explaining that you need to visit the friendly areas before you visit the enemy areas.

If you read what the soldier says in the communications room on that level (which you're supposed to do to unlock the boss door I believe), he tells you the flares are in Area 13.

Kestastrophe

Yeah, alot of it was my fault because I was just skipping through the text parts like I do in many games. It's actually kind of refreshing that there are boss hints and other vital information in the dialogue for a change, instead of just superficial story bullshit. Anyways, I am having fun with the game, I just don't know if I'll play it on a harder difficulty.
jon

FatalT

Yeah, alot of it was my fault because I was just skipping through the text parts like I do in many games. It's actually kind of refreshing that there are boss hints and other vital information in the dialogue for a change, instead of just superficial story bullshit. Anyways, I am having fun with the game, I just don't know if I'll play it on a harder difficulty.

Don't go any higher than normal. This is for your own good. Hard is disgusting.

Kestastrophe

I'll take your word for it. I am not a masochistic gamer
jon

JustinP

i guess i missed it...  but what are these nut things that enemies sometimes drop?  they upgrade something? 

FatalT

i guess i missed it...  but what are these nut things that enemies sometimes drop?  they upgrade something? 

The blue circles are just points and the green ones are health.

JustinP

The blue circles are just points and the green ones are health.
ah... points.......   eh

FatalT

ah... points.......   eh

Yeah, I wish it was like the NES Bionic Commando where when you first start out, if you're hit once you die. When you killed enemies they dropped little bullets and after you collected a certain amount you'd get 1 more hit point. I remember grinding on soldiers in the first Area until I had like 4-5 health and then just plowing through the game. Good stuff.

JustinP

am i doing something wrong?  i can't seem to unscrew the third bolt (mid level) on the 2nd boss...  it just clinks when i use my arm. 

FatalT

am i doing something wrong?  i can't seem to unscrew the third bolt (mid level) on the 2nd boss...  it just clinks when i use my arm. 

You might have to crouch and do it.

JustinP

You might have to crouch and do it.
:duh

cool breeze

Got this on PS3 and so far it is awesome.  Had to go to control style C considering that one makes actual sense.

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
So far I think its just OK - they could have done more with the music....and its odd seeing modern animated characters with such classic control scheme - but once I got back in the groove it all felt natural again.

I have high hopes for the online versus if its lag-less...

So far I think its just OK - they could have done more with the music....and its odd seeing modern animated characters with such classic control scheme - but once I got back in the groove it all felt natural again.

I have high hopes for the online versus if its lag-less...

Umm... there is no online versus. It's offline only.
野球