Author Topic: What book(s) are you reading?  (Read 669773 times)

Tasty

Re: What book(s) are you reading?
« Reply #3180 on: December 04, 2019, 09:21:59 AM »
Finished Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked Comes this Way (1962) for a book club. Not sure if I read any Bradbury before. Always thought he was a sci-fi writer like Asimov.

At first this novel was tough to get into in 2019 because of the long run on sentences and constant jumping around without grounding down the setting and characters first. Basically it sets up the mood of the small town. Once I get the hang of it and could follow what was going on the second half was basically one long action set piece which was still pretty good today. I like that Bradbury wrote this when he was 37-42 years old and arguably the main character's plot is about a 54 year old middle age guy feeling old and sad about his age and having kids so late. As someone in the age Bradbury was when he wrote this, I can definitely relate to some of the themes and fears of entering middle age.

I checked Disney+ to see if the Disney movie from the 80s was on it since I'd be interested in checking out the adaptation but it's not :( 

Not sure if I wanna read other Bradbury stuff, but maybe I'd check out his short stories.

The Disney movie is supposedly really good too. Just shitty VHS rips on YouTube, haven't brought myself to watch it either.

The Halloween Tree is another gem in this category, both novel and adaptation (an animated TV movie with Leonard Nemoy as the bad guy 17 years before Birth by Sleep did it.)

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #3181 on: December 05, 2019, 09:31:18 PM »
I've met Kurt plenty of times over the years, the least I could do is support his awesome new book. A lot of amazing picks here like Linda^3, Tengai Makyou IV, Umihara Kawase, Live A Live, Emerald Dragon... and a lot of stuff even new to me that sounds incredible.

^_^

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3182 on: December 06, 2019, 01:42:46 AM »
I'm up to Book 5, Nemesis Games, in my re-read of The Expanse. I'm enjoying it nearly as much as the first read-through. The writers do a good job of making even unlikable characters realistic.

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #3183 on: December 24, 2019, 06:35:57 AM »

nothing like reading some collapse theory to get into the holiday mood! orlov casually shitting on chomsky and universal grammar was  :whoo

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #3184 on: December 24, 2019, 07:19:28 AM »
orlov casually shitting on chomsky and universal grammar was  :whoo
Oho? I need to look into this.

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #3185 on: December 24, 2019, 12:56:26 PM »
orlov casually shitting on chomsky and universal grammar was  :whoo
Oho? I need to look into this.
It’s really only in passing, this book isn’t about language/syntax/linguistics. He just says universal grammar is bollocks, it tied up academic departments needlessly for far too long with nothing to show for it and when it became a dead end Chomsky just pivoted to US politics

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3186 on: December 24, 2019, 01:18:33 PM »
NPCs was just OK.

Started the Aching God

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3187 on: December 24, 2019, 07:19:53 PM »
Incase Dresden fans didn't read it last year.  Spoiler alert its set after Peace Talks

https://www.jim-butcher.com/christmas-eve

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3188 on: December 25, 2019, 11:43:07 AM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3189 on: December 28, 2019, 04:09:05 PM »
Aching God  was really great.  It's fantasy with a lot of horror and a big D&D dungeon crawling feel.  I would say its also like Diablo 1 or Darkest Dungeon the book.  Going to read the second one Sin Eater, now.  The final book should be out in a few months.  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/38769599-aching-god

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #3190 on: December 28, 2019, 04:22:49 PM »
TVC, do I have a book for you:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40819145-this-hoe-got-roaches-in-her-crib

I'm still in the first chapter but rollin' on the floor laughing at this.

“ALL THESE FUCKIN’ ROACHES AND SHIT! AHHHHH! GOD MOTHAFUCKIN’ DAMN IT!!”

[...]

Ducking and dodging at the sound of rapid gunfire was the most valuable tool any young nicca growing up in Chicago’s fucked up and ultra-violent housing projects had to learn quickly. And then the next valuable housing project survival skill young niccas had to acquire was the art of killing roaches.

[...]

Daddy Roach Sr. went on to be with the Lord. The front of his obituary read: Homegoing Celebration For The Late Daddy Roach Sr. Sunrise May 2018- Sunset June 2018 Rev. Dr. Lucious Roachson, III presiding…

[...]

Daddy Roach Sr. had 1,861 brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, uncles, aunts and other relatives lurking in the cut, ready to get to that pizza crust and other discarded trash scattered throughout the cluttered and disgusting apartment.

This is still the first chapter.

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #3191 on: December 29, 2019, 02:29:32 AM »
best selling books of the decade https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/610692/best-selling-books-decade

E. L. James, Fifty Shades of Grey (2011) // 15.2 million copies
E. L. James, Fifty Shades Darker (2011) // 10.4 million copies
E. L. James, Fifty Shades Freed (2012) // 9.3 million copies
Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games (2008) // 8.7 million copies
Kathryn Stockett, The Help (2009) // 8.7 million copies
Paula Hawkins, The Girl on The Train (2015) // 8.2 million copies
Gillian Flynn, Gone Girl (2012) // 8.1 million copies
John Green, The Fault in Our Stars (2012) // 8 million copies
Stieg Larsson, The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo (2008) // 7.9 million copies
Veronica Roth, Divergent (2011) // 6.6 million copies

reminds me of best selling pc games where the list would just be the sims, world of warcraft and its expansion packs

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #3192 on: January 03, 2020, 08:43:59 PM »

I won't mention the historical errors (some dates are half a century off or more) or the ideological nonsense (Martin Van Buren literally could not know what Keynes "proved" about budgets) to instead focus on one thing.

The title. Which is repeated as the thesis at both the start and end of the book.

In the other 230 pages the FIRST FUCKING YEAR is almost never mentioned at all. Some Presidents are literally not covered at all until events of their SECOND or even THIRD year. Calvin Coolidge is covered entirely by events that occur either when he was Vice President or come during his successor, Hoover's, term. Bill Clinton has more coverage of his welfare reform and impeachment than his first year of his wife screwing up his health care goals or even his first year budget battle which isn't covered at all. Nixon's presidency isn't even covered at all, his entire segment is about what he is alleged to have done regarding the Vietnam talks during 1968.

I wish I could get this as a paper so I could ask a single question and return it for redrafting.

edit: okay, since I thought I was losing my mind seeing all the positive reviews about how informative and detailed and compelling this was
Jun 07, 2017 Jesse Miller rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, history
A promising premise marred by poor planning. The object of the book is ostensibly to examine the first year of each of the first 44 presidents, an initially intriguing object. While the author does this, looking at the frequent blunders and rare successes in the early parts of each presidency, he takes, in my opinion, an overly wide historical perspective. By that, I mean to say that he reports not only the first, or "freshman," year (the term also used of legislators and appropriated for the Executive) of each President, but also looks at the events that led up to that year, sometimes going back a decade or more, and often giving a detailed account of the balance of his term in office. The context provided is usually interesting, but I would have preferred a more detailed and pinpoint examination of what each President did, or did not do, in the first 365 days of his Presidency. This problem of wide reporting is compounded by the peculiar--no, the downright strange way in which the presidents are broken up. Instead of a linear historical path traced from Washington to Obama, the author groups Presidents into arbitrary categories, such as loner Presidents (Jefferson, Carter, Obama), witchhunters (Adams and Eisenhower), some general presidents (Harrison, Grant, Hayes), and of course many others. While these men may have had some things in common, in the end, as the author himself says repeatedly, no Presidency is a copy of another. Each is unique from its beginning, and therefore to bunch some of them together in this way proves merely distracting instead of enlightening. There is too many variables to properly compare and contrast so many different men and circumstances. This mean that the chapters fly here and there throughout history, from Civil War to the Great Depression, back to Nullification, jumping to the Panic of 1893 to the civil rights movement. The lack of historical continuity makes it very difficult to follow trends, to trace the evolution of the country or the presidency, or to even gain bearings on whichever president we come to next.
Jeremy rated it did not like it
This book is a mess. It purports to examine the first year of each presidency and find some lessons. It finds pablum. It draws out almost no patterns of meaning. It is useful only as a broad introduction to the political circumstances each president faced upon inauguration, but is so idiosyncratic and undisciplined in its focus that it allows the reader to figure out almost nothing useful about first years. It tells very little about each president that a standard biography would not already tell better, and what is new here is often a strange exposition on one particular aspect that drew the author's attention, in a few cases in ways that burnish his reputation as an insider, a reputation mostly unjustified. So what is new is seldom worth reading. He doesn't even remain focused only on the first year in many cases, drawing in incidents from well beyond it whenever it suits his fancy. One of its sole virtues is its remarkable short length. Each chapter on each president is brief, so it is all over quickly.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3193 on: January 03, 2020, 10:21:45 PM »
Sin Eater was also really good.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3194 on: January 04, 2020, 04:16:53 AM »
Just finished Babylon's Ashes, the 6th book in The Expanse series. It still feels like a Traveller RPG session to me, in a good way. There is quite a bit of character growth across many of the characters; I guess I feel like Alex and Amos don't grow much, but they're already plenty interesting to watch them navigate situations.

I may re-watch s1 of the TV show, as Amazon.co.jp is not streaming it, likely due to some shriveled-dick distribution rights-holder thinking they're going to get ahead of Amazon on a property they now literally own. In the meantime, I can't watch shit.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #3195 on: January 06, 2020, 01:56:34 AM »
Why do public libraries limit how many people can borrow an ebook at a time? Seems pretty ridiculous.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 02:03:14 AM by shosta »
每天生气

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #3196 on: January 06, 2020, 02:11:04 AM »
guessing licensing reasons? i mostly read stuff by dead people so don't feel too guilty just hitting up libgen  :yeshrug

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #3197 on: January 06, 2020, 10:49:05 AM »
Why do public libraries limit how many people can borrow an ebook at a time? Seems pretty ridiculous.
A comprehensive survey of the first page of Google results suggests that publishers fear lost sales. Our Star Trek future will never come. :'(

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3198 on: January 06, 2020, 07:50:25 PM »
From what I know libraries need to re-license after a certain amount of e-book borrows. 

A few chapters into The Gutter Prayer.  It's pretty cool so far.  Has really interesting races/monsters

Stillness is death to a Stone Man. You have to keep moving, keep the blood flowing, the muscles moving. If you don’t, those veins and arteries will become carved channels through hard stone, the muscles will turn to useless inert rocks. Spar is never motionless, even when he’s standing still. He flexes, twitches, rocks—yes, rocks, very funny—from foot to foot. Works his jaw, his tongue, flicks his eyes back and forth. He has a special fear of his lips and tongue calcifying.

It jams two fingers up its nostrils (remembering to put the axe down first; wouldn’t want to chop its own head off) and wiggles them about, opening channels from the outside to its hollow inside where its flame-self burns. It adjusts the nose, remoulding it so it’s more dignified. In a rare moment of self-reflection, the Tallowman acknowledges that it’s burnt for too long and needs a good long soak in a tallow vat. Needs a new wick threaded through its body, for this one’s nearly gone. The Tallowman must buy each new life with the good deeds of the previous one. If it doesn’t catch the ghoul, maybe the alchemists won’t remake it. Naughty candle, reduced to a puddle with an axe.

Also 2 stories into the The Devil and the Deep horror anthology.  Really liked the second story.  It's about Lovecraftian AIDS.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3199 on: January 07, 2020, 10:29:02 PM »
The Gutter Prayer continues to be really cool.  The sequel dropped today to.

The Fever Knight hauled his armoured bulk through the gap, glaring at him from behind eyeholes of thick glass. The steel containment suit he wore kept his rotten frame together, or maybe protected everyone else from the toxins in his body. Dribbling fluid leaks encrusted the steel plates with patches of vile slime. That horrific facemask, a polished brass skull decorated with melted flesh. They say that the Fever Knight was hurt in the war, by an alchemical weapon or divine wrath, and that the rotten mask of loose skin he wears over his helmet is actually his own face, that he tore it off in his agony. Whatever else the Fever Knight was, he was terrifyingly strong and immensely cruel. Spar had never seen the Knight fight, but he’d seen the aftermath. Skulls crushed with such force they’d popped open, brains spilling out like beer from a broken barrel.

“Try it,” said the Fever Knight. Steam hissed from his armour in anticipation.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3200 on: January 14, 2020, 08:32:28 PM »
the ending of The Gutter Prayer was beautiful.  Going to start the second one The Shadow Saint.

shosta

« Reply #3201 on: January 15, 2020, 02:14:33 PM »
Rereading A Fire Upon the Deep. Pretty interesting concepts, fun little fantasy adventure. Would like to read something more literary next.
每天生气

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #3202 on: January 16, 2020, 01:27:48 AM »
Rereading A Fire Upon the Deep. Pretty interesting concepts, fun little fantasy adventure. Would like to read something more literary next.
good timing, a collection of nabakov essays were recently released (think, write, speak), it's next on my list once i've done with my current book

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #3203 on: January 20, 2020, 06:24:08 AM »
on the other hand, maybe donald jr can help with selecting next book https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/donald-trump-jr-reviews-famous-works-of-literature

Pride and Prejudice
I first came across this book when my father was researching potential campaign slogans; it turned out that this one was a no-go due to copyright issues. Pride and Prejudice is a classic human-merger story about rich people overcoming a series of terrible obstacles to triumph in the end by marrying their own kind. This book was written by a girl.

The Sound and the Fury
The Sound and the Fury is actually a very long tweet that tells the story of a terrific boy who dreams of reclaiming his family’s repossessed golf course. Our hero does everything right, loves his sister a lot, and almost never sets himself on fire, but for some reason about a quarter of the way through the book the narrator changes from him to his brother, who is supposed to be ‘the smart one’ although I have my doubts. As if that weren’t bad enough, another quarter of the way through the narrator changes again to this other brother who just showed up later and somehow became the favorite child just because he makes the most money and is allegedly competent. To add insult to injury, the last quarter of the story is told by The Help. I also came across this book when my father was researching potential campaign slogans.

Animal Farm

"This is not a book to simply read in total and digest--yes, do that--but it is also a work to return to in parts whenever necessary. It's a book to ingest like medicine."
—Rion Scott
This is a tremendous children’s story about a talking pig named Napoleon who becomes the greatest leader his farm has ever known. After Napoleon destroys Crooked Snowball in a free and fair election by easily the greatest margin of not-being-chased-off-by-dogs in history, the new leader delivers on his promise to make the farm great again by using creative solutions to bring back law and order. Throughout his administration, Napoleon is constantly harassed by jealous losers, such as the stupid old donkey who only complains and, you guessed it: Crooked Snowball! That’s right, even though Crooked Snowball doesn’t hold power and technically isn’t even still around at all, this totally corrupt swine just can’t stop causing problems for the farm. Every time Napoleon tries to score a win for the animals, the ghost of Crooked Snowball is there to trip him up, fueled by liberal rage and an insatiable love of windmills even though they obstruct everyone’s view and kill birds. Nevertheless, Napoleon persists, and in the end he wows everyone with his mastery of several terrific words and his knack for dealmaking, which he uses to create a strategic back-channel alliance with the humans (whom we actually should want to have a positive working relationship with when you really think about it).

Frankenstein
Two thumbs way up for this cautionary tale about the dangers of unsettled science. All hell breaks loose when Victor Frankenstein, an immigrant, creates a (((monster))) that is basically half Al Franken and half Jill Stein. Though it reads a bunch of books and becomes very smart and talky, the (((monster))) causes all sorts of havoc everywhere it goes, leading to a number of deaths and at least one abortion. Really makes you think.

Moby-Dick
There’s nothing more exhilarating than the thrill that comes from tracking and killing a large, majestic animal for no reason at all no matter what the so-called “psychologist” says. Moby-Dick is the timeless story of a noble hunter with the best temperament who spends nearly a thousand pages in vain pursuit of a fat white sperm whale that in no way represents his father’s love.

Crime and Punishment
I’ll be honest — I’ve never read this book. Now, in the event that someone tells you they saw me reading it, rest assured that I don’t recall what it was about. Look: did I read it? I mean, sure, of course, maybe. What happened was a close friend of mine from the 2013 Miss Universe pageant recommended it to me; I didn’t know who the author was or anything going in, but who’s going to say no to a favor from a close pageant friend? I have read this book at least three other times in secret, and my father also briefly considered this one as a campaign slogan.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone

"It's going to take lots of energy for us to grapple with the challenge we're facing, and some of it is on vivid display in these pages." —Bill McKibben
This book is primarily about adoptions.

benjipwns

« Reply #3204 on: January 21, 2020, 10:50:52 PM »
one of them oral history books, this time about...

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3205 on: January 24, 2020, 11:59:35 PM »
The Shadow Saint was amazing.  More weird lit than fantasy compared to the first one.  Really looking forward to the third book in a year or two.  They also both end nicely so no major cliff hangers.   

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3206 on: January 28, 2020, 11:45:15 AM »
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-massage-therapist-misconduct-book-summaries-1.5442239

When an undercover investigator from the college visited Elson for a massage in June 2019, she discovered that he spent at least 15 minutes of her appointment on his phone reading a series of wiki pages about the fantasy book series Malazan Book of the Fallen.

:lol

NekoFever

« Reply #3207 on: January 29, 2020, 05:34:54 AM »
Homies... Can you recommend me good books on the history of the crusades? I realize asking for a single volume is absurd but I'd prefer that

The Crusades: The War for the Holy Land by Thomas Asbridge is good for an accessible overall picture.

It's not strictly about the Crusades as a whole but I recently read The Templars by Dan Jones, which covers a lot of the same time period and was excellent. It's free on Kindle Unlimited here at the moment - not sure if that's worldwide. It's a serious history of the Knights Templar; nothing to do with the silly conspiracy stuff.

Edit: And I just saw that Dan Jones has written a book about the Crusades themselves (Crusaders: An Epic History of the Wars for the Holy Lands), which only came out a few months ago. Haven't read it myself but based on my experience with The Templars and the reviews, it could be worth a look.

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #3208 on: February 04, 2020, 06:45:40 AM »
imagine zizek but coherent and lucid

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #3209 on: February 04, 2020, 01:14:24 PM »
Have you not accepted zizek into your heart and mind?

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3210 on: February 04, 2020, 01:21:09 PM »
Homies... Can you recommend me good books on the history of the crusades? I realize asking for a single volume is absurd but I'd prefer that

It's not strictly about the Crusades as a whole but I recently read The Templars by Dan Jones, which covers a lot of the same time period and was excellent. It's free on Kindle Unlimited here at the moment - not sure if that's worldwide. It's a serious history of the Knights Templar; nothing to do with the silly conspiracy stuff.

Edit: And I just saw that Dan Jones has written a book about the Crusades themselves (Crusaders: An Epic History of the Wars for the Holy Lands), which only came out a few months ago. Haven't read it myself but based on my experience with The Templars and the reviews, it could be worth a look.

I’ve been considering picking up Dan Jones’ War of the Roses book, it good?
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #3211 on: March 05, 2020, 03:01:36 PM »
I’ve been considering picking up Dan Jones’ War of the Roses book, it good?

Decided to read his book on The Plantagenets first. It's a good read, I'm making quick progress.

I was at Half-Price Books this weekend, and I saw a somewhat battered 1909 illustrated edition of The King in Yellow. I wanted it until I looked at the price tag and they wanted $450 for it.  ::) I just had to make due with a couple of Lovecraftian anthologies instead (ST Joshi's Black Wings of Cthulhu Vol 6 and Chaosium's The Azathoth Cycle).
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3212 on: March 06, 2020, 11:10:20 PM »
Laundry Files book 1 was pretty good.  Basically 90's cool hacker meets X-Files meets Lovecraft meets bureaucracy parody.  Also, there is a scene that describes a mount Rushmore being carved on an alien moon in another universe only its Hilter. 

shosta

« Reply #3213 on: March 14, 2020, 11:26:21 PM »

I finally got around to finishing this, making sure to do a few exercises each chapter. This book is great, even if it's dated. It's readable and the author uses geometric intuition wherever possible so you're not stuck in some proof every other page. Since it is sort of old, I do have another more complete graduate text that I'll look at sometime... before the end of the year possibly. Definitely gave me a lot to think about. Only chapter I didn't understand was the one on fractals, and frankly I don't think it mattered all that much :P Best part of the book was the Feigenbaum constants and the universal series :leon

I had this intro to mechanics professor who kept shouting every lecture that everyone should study dimensional analysis. Characteristic time kept popping up in this book and it even showed up in an economics book I was reading recently so I guess I should? Anyone have any recs?
每天生气

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #3214 on: March 16, 2020, 05:01:26 AM »
^that sounds pretty awesome and will look into it but man i haven't done "real" maths in so long i think my knowledge has all but atrophied at this point  :'(

more feel good reading for me:

For thousands of years, civilization did not lend itself to peaceful equalization. Across a wide range of societies and different levels of development, stability favored economic inequality. This was as true of Pharaonic Egypt as it was of Victorian England, as true of the Roman Empire as of the United States. Violent shocks were of paramount importance in disrupting the established order, in compressing the distribution of income and wealth, in narrowing the gap between rich and poor. Throughout recorded history, the most powerful leveling invariably resulted from the most powerful shocks. Four different kinds of violent ruptures have flattened inequality: mass mobilization warfare, transformative revolution, state failure, and lethal pandemics. I call these the Four Horsemen of Leveling. Just like their biblical counterparts, they went forth to “take peace from the earth” and “kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.” Sometimes acting individually and sometimes in concert with one another, they produced outcomes that to contemporaries often seemed nothing short of apocalyptic. Hundreds of millions perished in their wake. And by the time the dust had settled, the gap between the haves and the have-nots had shrunk, sometimes dramatically.

shosta

« Reply #3215 on: March 16, 2020, 11:22:53 AM »
As recommended by Jordan Peterson :hitler
每天生气

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #3216 on: March 16, 2020, 11:35:33 AM »
As recommended by Jordan Peterson :hitler

Fuck, seriously? I honestly wanted to see some silver lining to corona without the lazy “oh something bad happened it’s all good though because accelerationism” take all over Twitter. Will read more Zizek instead to compensate https://spectator.us/like-about-coronavirus-slavoj-zizek/

shosta

« Reply #3217 on: March 16, 2020, 11:40:20 AM »
He brings it up all the time as part of his "inequality is natural" shtick. Like, "the left has a point, inequality does matter, but I just read this book that says you can't do anything about it unless there's a huge war, so it's basically impossible to suppress and is a natural law of the universe."

I'd still read it
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #3218 on: March 22, 2020, 03:42:52 PM »
Not gonna lie I worried about you when you posted a thread about fragrance during a pandemic from a disease that inhibits smell. If you need to talk I'm here dawg :dead
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Days_(play)

Great play, you should read it if you like absurdist literature.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 03:53:43 PM by shosta »
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3219 on: March 24, 2020, 11:07:05 AM »

AND WE ARE GETTING TWO DRESDEN BOOKS THIS YEAR!

benjipwns

« Reply #3220 on: March 24, 2020, 12:34:57 PM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3221 on: March 27, 2020, 01:52:57 PM »
Picked up a few books for reading during the shutdown:

-Brutal Bloc Postcards: Soviet Era Postcards from the Eastern Bloc [by Damon Murray]
-The World Encyclopedia of Archaeology: The World's Most Significant Sites and Cultural Treasures [by Dr. Dr. Aedeen Cremin]
-A People's History of the United States [by Howard Zinn]
-A History of Venice [John Julius Norwich]
-City: A Story of Roman Planning and Construction [by David Macaulay]
dog

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #3222 on: March 29, 2020, 06:26:28 AM »
i thought this was a photoshop but turns out it's real:
(Image removed from quote.)

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #3223 on: March 29, 2020, 06:31:56 AM »
Cashing in on a topical. Just like Chuck Tingle does.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #3224 on: March 30, 2020, 09:00:27 PM »
So how are the Neuromancer follow ups? You always hear about how influential Neuromancer was, but I didn't even realize there were sequels until 2 days ago.

Not as good as Neuromancer, but still really good.
©@©™

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #3225 on: March 30, 2020, 09:01:42 PM »
Finished Moby Dick

it was a whale of a tale

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #3226 on: March 31, 2020, 07:31:58 PM »
©@©™

shosta

每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3228 on: April 01, 2020, 02:18:12 PM »
Dutch classics? 

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3230 on: April 10, 2020, 12:37:45 AM »
Just finished The Lights go out in Lychford by Paul Cornell.

Starting Caliban's War in The Expanse series. I've watched the first two seasons of the tv show, but only read the first book. Both are fantastic so far.
Spud

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #3231 on: April 10, 2020, 12:45:44 AM »
Just finished The Lights go out in Lychford by Paul Cornell.

Starting Caliban's War in The Expanse series. I've watched the first two seasons of the tv show, but only read the first book. Both are fantastic so far.

Books are way better, you're in for a treat

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #3232 on: April 10, 2020, 03:21:01 AM »
https://twitter.com/MollyQuell/status/1245288640307216384

I mentioned this book back in the thread when I read it. The opening chapter literally has him describing loving a woman so much he'd eat her shit.

Turks fruit by Jan Wolkers. (Turkish delight)

Bebpo

« Reply #3233 on: April 17, 2020, 11:58:36 AM »
Started reading Sanderson's Stormlight Book 1: Way of Kings last night. The first few chapters were pretty strong.

One thing I've noticed though with Sanderson's books are his fights scenes are very long and wordy. Like he does a good job choreographing the fights with all the magic and stuff, but I've never found fight choreography in books in general particularly compelling, so I'd rather he just cuts to the chase and gets back to the story.

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #3234 on: April 19, 2020, 09:33:55 PM »
I love Greek mythology and I was browsing my library app for something to read when Madeline Miller’s Circe caught my eye.  She turns the Greek epic kind of on its head and writes a much more personal story that I quite enjoyed.  If you like Greek mythology I highly recommend it.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3235 on: April 19, 2020, 09:50:55 PM »
Picked it up a while ago and I'm looking forward to it.

Lonewulfeus

« Reply #3236 on: April 19, 2020, 10:07:30 PM »
Picked it up a while ago and I'm looking forward to it.

Have you read Song of Achillies?  I plan on starting that tonight.  Still have 70 days on my hold for the third book in Nora Robert’s Chronicles of the One trilogy.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3237 on: April 19, 2020, 10:13:05 PM »
No I haven't but lots of people have been talking about Circe.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3238 on: April 20, 2020, 08:04:18 AM »
https://ebookclub.tor.com/

murderbot is free this week (one each day).  Really enjoyed these.

Lonewulfeus

« Reply #3239 on: April 21, 2020, 07:18:25 AM »
The Song of Achilles was also very good.  Very similar in style to Circe.