Author Topic: What book(s) are you reading?  (Read 669509 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: What book(s) are you reading?
« Reply #420 on: October 26, 2009, 08:35:59 PM »
Sounds like Lost meets Clan of the Cave Bear

edit: fuck  :lol

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #421 on: October 27, 2009, 08:05:01 AM »
Sounds like Lost meets Clan of the Cave Bear

edit: fuck  :lol

:lol
vjj

OptimoPeach

« Reply #422 on: November 24, 2009, 09:22:29 PM »
Has anyone read the Dark Tower series? It seems to get a lot of praise from internet nerds, but I don't think I've ever liked one of his novels from start to finish. I did enjoy the few short stories that I read, though.

Anyway, Amazon has the first 4 in a boxed set for $19 and I'm wondering whether or not I should throw it on my Christmas wish list
hi5

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #423 on: November 24, 2009, 10:07:08 PM »

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
« Reply #424 on: November 24, 2009, 10:17:24 PM »
Dead Souls is good until the 'Concluding Chapter' of Dead Souls Pt 2 where Gogol goes religious crazy. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #425 on: November 24, 2009, 10:31:07 PM »
It's all Malazan, all of the time in Cormacaroniville.

Just finished:

Just started:

RofCG gets better as it goes along, and contains at least one MAJOR plot-point that you need to know to follow the series, but it still reads like Malazan fanfic. Probably less bewildering though...ironically, for the 11th or so entry in the series, it's a better jumping-on point than any of the other books in many ways. You still need to do a ton of the detective work yourself though.

It was a relief to get back to Erikson, really. A cast of 10,000 characters in 150 different locations in time and space. A plot thick enough to stand a teaspoon in. Whole chapters that pass by without a single character being identified conclusively. Aaaah.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 10:53:35 PM by Cormacaroni »
vjj

OptimoPeach

« Reply #426 on: November 24, 2009, 10:35:39 PM »
Dead Souls is good until the 'Concluding Chapter' of Dead Souls Pt 2 where Gogol goes religious crazy. 
Don't Gogol scholars discount part 2 because it was an early draft? I seem to remember my translation making a big deal about how it was a disservice to Gogol to include it with the original.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I never actually finished Dead Souls. I was enthralled when I was actually reading it, but I lost my copy for a few weeks after I moved and then never started back up again. Now I can't find the motivation to start it over. I did the exact same shit with The Castle, ironically.  :'(

Quoting my post from the previous page since no one's gonna see it otherwise:
Has anyone read the Dark Tower series? It seems to get a lot of praise from internet nerds, but I don't think I've ever liked one of his novels from start to finish. I did enjoy the few short stories that I read, though.

Anyway, Amazon has the first 4 in a boxed set for $19 and I'm wondering whether or not I should throw it on my Christmas wish list
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 10:39:10 PM by OptimoPeach »
hi5

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #427 on: November 24, 2009, 10:36:23 PM »
©@©™

Fresh Prince

« Reply #428 on: November 24, 2009, 11:45:32 PM »
Yeah Pt II is all over the place since Gogol was never happy with his drafts and burnt them and then rewrote them.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #429 on: November 26, 2009, 03:54:28 AM »

Dark Tower doesn't really read like Stephen King unless you've only read Eyes of the Dragon. The tone of that book is generally the closest to several of the DT books. Even so, the style of DT varies a lot from the first book to the fifth, which is the last one I read. It is a dark fantasy, and successful for marrying post-apocalypse, fantasy, western, and horror genres into an arguably coherent whole. However, King brings in various characters from his other works, at which point it felt like King's version of Marvel's Secret Wars: "Here is the resolution of a series of parallel worlds, all of which are in my mind. It is by design! (snurk, snurk, hyuk)" I like King, but the meta-continuity reads like masturbation at worst, and navel-gazing at best.

It's all Malazan, all of the time in Cormacaroniville.

Just finished:

(Image removed from quote.)

Just started:

RofCG gets better as it goes along, and contains at least one MAJOR plot-point that you need to know to follow the series, but it still reads like Malazan fanfic. Probably less bewildering though...ironically, for the 11th or so entry in the series, it's a better jumping-on point than any of the other books in many ways. You still need to do a ton of the detective work yourself though.

It was a relief to get back to Erikson, really. A cast of 10,000 characters in 150 different locations in time and space. A plot thick enough to stand a teaspoon in. Whole chapters that pass by without a single character being identified conclusively. Aaaah.
:lol
...heh, speaking of dark fantasy. I picked up the 2nd book in the series during my vacation in August, and haven't read it yet. I sure liked Gardens of the Moon though. Erikson makes me feel like reading Gene Wolfe for a little lighter prose. :)

Lately I've been reading the last book of Peter Watts' Rifters trilogy: Behemoth, having read Starfish and Maelstrom in rapid succession. Reading Peter Watts is like encountering a really smart guy at a party, and being really interested in what he's saying, but also wishing you were having fun. I'm not sure what I'll read next.

Fresh Prince

« Reply #430 on: November 26, 2009, 04:43:37 PM »
Northern Lights by Phillip Pullman.
It's a good little book. smh at future generations at reading Harry Potter garbage instead.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #431 on: November 26, 2009, 06:40:53 PM »
Northern Lights by Phillip Pullman.
It's a good little book. smh at future generations at reading Harry Potter garbage instead.
The first book is the best, sadly. After that, there are some really nihilistic passages, and the resolution feels... off.

Fresh Prince

« Reply #432 on: November 26, 2009, 06:42:14 PM »
Yeah I basically spoiled myself the rest seems interesting but a tad convoluted.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #433 on: November 26, 2009, 06:42:51 PM »

How are these books? I've been doing a bit of work in C# lately and really enjoy it.
^_^

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #434 on: November 26, 2009, 07:26:00 PM »
C# In Depth

Essential C# 3.0 for .NET Framework 3.5

How are these books? I've been doing a bit of work in C# lately and really enjoy it.

[*The Author of the first book refers to C# not by 1.0+, 2.0, or 3.0, but simply as C# 1, 2, and 3. For the purposes of brevity, I'm doing the same here.]

I'm primarily reading through the first one now, and it's pretty good. The supposition regarding the reader is that you're experienced with C# 1 and are wanting to transition to 2 and 3, although that isn't necessarily true with me. I've worked mostly in 2 with more recent code done in 3 (when I can, one of our largest clients still runs a 2 website), but have had to do some limited 1 work because of some legacy sites.

As a result, the book hasn't necessarily covered new ground so far (particularly since I'm still in the C# 2 section), but it is providing a more detailed understanding of functionality I have already been using and presenting ideas of implementations that I've frankly never thought about.

The one drawback is that the book often uses terminology and general concepts that I am sadly not up to speed on and doesn't really put forth an effort to put things in proper english. It's not for the novice programmer, and I can only assume someone from a proper CS background would be better at dealing with the specific jargon.

One thing is for sure, it will cause you to think and to grow as a C# developer. If there are pieces of the language that you are not using or do not know well enough, this book will likely change that. I have a new purpose in life, or at least a new subpurpose, and that is simply to become a better programmer. This resource, the various blogs I'm following, and general trial and error are helping me to achieve that goal.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 07:29:05 PM by Bocsius »

OptimoPeach

« Reply #435 on: November 26, 2009, 08:23:15 PM »
Dark Tower doesn't really read like Stephen King unless you've only read Eyes of the Dragon. The tone of that book is generally the closest to several of the DT books. Even so, the style of DT varies a lot from the first book to the fifth, which is the last one I read. It is a dark fantasy, and successful for marrying post-apocalypse, fantasy, western, and horror genres into an arguably coherent whole. However, King brings in various characters from his other works, at which point it felt like King's version of Marvel's Secret Wars: "Here is the resolution of a series of parallel worlds, all of which are in my mind. It is by design! (snurk, snurk, hyuk)" I like King, but the meta-continuity reads like masturbation at worst, and navel-gazing at best.
Nah, I'm not very familiar with King's catalog of novels, especially the deviations from his typical horror stuff. It sounds fairly interesting and the set is pretty cheap, so I'll try it out. Besides, I don't think I've read anything remotely fantasy-ish since my Weis & Hickman binge when I was 12 or 13 :lol
hi5

Tucah

« Reply #436 on: November 26, 2009, 08:50:58 PM »
Going through A Clash of Kings now. So far, it's good, I'm really enjoying the series so far. About halfway through this,
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Renly just got killed
[close]

I have the next two bought and waiting, so I guess that's what I'll be reading next unless I get distracted by something else.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #437 on: November 26, 2009, 10:07:15 PM »
Started on two NBA books I bought myself 'for Christmas'

- The Breaks of the Game by David Halberstam

about the 1980 Portland Trailblazers, post-championship, post-Bill Walton. Great fun. He really digs into how the influx of TV money changed the sport.

- The Book of Basketball by Bill Simmons

You may think Simmons is a joke, but there is no denying that the NBA is his passion or that his knowledge of it is encyclopaedic, and this feels like the culmination of everything he's written. I'm loving it so far.
vjj

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #438 on: December 11, 2009, 02:29:54 PM »
I'm still reading that Wasteland short story compilation. Last night I read through a short about the end of the world and its effect on the Internet (from the point of view of a Systems Admin). Its probably the most realistic take on such an event I've read. It was chock full of nerdisms, snarkiness and IRC chatting.
:9

drew

• sy
« Reply #439 on: December 11, 2009, 02:31:17 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #440 on: December 12, 2009, 08:27:47 AM »
Just finished Peter Watts' Rifters trilogy on a binge - Behemoth (B-max/Seppuku) may have turned him from a new favorite to a questionable selection in the future. His Blindsight book was just fantastic; incredibly suspenseful and insightful, just about everything I could have hoped for in hard SF. The first two Rifters books, Starfish and Maelstrom, were also very good, but by the third I was having trouble with the overall darkness of the books, and the utter lack of hope for humanity shown in them.

I know in any book that seeks to chart the end of the world, there are going to be losses of characters, and plenty of stresses acting on people, but as much as I was prepared to deal with rooting for the bad guy through all of Maelstrom, I wasn't really ready to go back to dealing with that character as a sympathetic protagonist, nor to have one of the arguable heroes from the 2nd book "turn heel" in an insanely epic fashion. Watts' logic is fine, mostly sadly believable, and no character is perfectly heroic or bad, which makes it even easier to believe, but it seems Watts is also completely bereft of hope or faith in humanity as he makes his predictive arc.

Fresh Prince

« Reply #441 on: January 10, 2010, 06:34:58 PM »
Milan Kundera- Lightness of Being

It was good. Be interested in how bad the movie really is.

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #442 on: January 10, 2010, 07:15:14 PM »
i'm kind of between books having wrapped Cure for Night yesterday.  I've dipped my toes into Taqwacores and Eddie Pyle's Brave Men, but I've also got a collection of short stories looking at the bible in a humorous manner which I need to read.

Tonya

etiolate

« Reply #443 on: January 10, 2010, 09:01:16 PM »
TC Boyle <3

russian men out in the wilderness, all alone

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #444 on: January 10, 2010, 09:25:12 PM »
Picked up Darkly Dreaming Dexter, and enjoying a return to apparently unemotional Dexter, since he seems to be approaching human by the end of Season 2.

ch1nchilla

« Reply #445 on: January 11, 2010, 05:02:42 AM »

Reading 2666 by Roberto Bolaño. Just finished the first part of the book. Some of it is bleak, some of it is hilarious, and it's super compelling / readable  despite being 900 PAGES. :o That being said, I may take a break after reading part 2 and come back to it after I read something else. The last book I read was Hear the Wind Sing[/b], the first work by Haruki Murakami (one of my favorite authors). It was really short, but awesome to see the start of some of his crazy idiosyncrasies.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 05:06:05 AM by ch1nchilla »

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #446 on: January 11, 2010, 08:22:35 AM »
i love roberto boleno but jesus the dude is the tupac of the latin literary scene.  he has four books coming out this year, a few of them "just discovered"
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #447 on: January 11, 2010, 08:33:07 AM »
well he'd been writing for a while but i think his first book published in america was The Savage Detectives in 06 or so, so a lot of this stuff is essentially untranslated, but this year, there is his 'FINAL NOVEL DELIVERED TO HIS PUBLISHER' and an "UNKNOWN MANUSCRIPT" so I can kind of see it.

Guardian States 2 new novels found in papers
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/mar/10/spain-roberto-bolantildeo

Tonya

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #448 on: January 11, 2010, 09:15:23 AM »

I catch a lot of weird looks for being a guy and reading his books, since most of my friends are reading Hunter S. Thompson and Steven King.  This is his fourth book though, and I've been reading them as they come out since I was assigned to read his first book in college.  Good stuff.
WTF

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #449 on: January 11, 2010, 09:37:07 AM »
I went back to Robert Little's The Company, a 900+ page monster novel about the CIA

I got up to 250 pages then sat it down for several months and now, I'm kind of between bouts of inspiration on what to read, so I figured I'll tackle a bit more of this. 

Between last night and my commute I've cleared about 50 more pages, but who knows how long this will last
Tonya

« Reply #450 on: January 11, 2010, 07:56:35 PM »
Finished up You Gotta Have Wa last night, time for a new book...
野球

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #451 on: January 11, 2010, 08:08:25 PM »

What did you think? I thought it was cool, but it definitely felt dated. But I don't really know how much stuff has changed in the past 20 years.
AMC

Oblivion

« Reply #452 on: January 11, 2010, 08:17:07 PM »

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #453 on: January 11, 2010, 08:20:38 PM »
I'm still reading off and on:

Just a beast of a book, sometimes I get overwhelmed.

Ripped through this:

Half writing, half stats. I did skip over some of the writing in the "History" section, but what I did read was almost all great. Didn't bother looking through many of the stats because they're online anyway.

Now going to start:

Been meaning to read it forever since I love dystopian stuff.
AMC

« Reply #454 on: January 11, 2010, 08:37:19 PM »

What did you think? I thought it was cool, but it definitely felt dated. But I don't really know how much stuff has changed in the past 20 years.

I liked it a lot. I have the 2009 updated version, but all it adds are a new introduction and an epilogue. I wish there was a 90/00's version of the book. Reading more about Bobby Valentine and Trey Hilman running the Fighters would be really interesting.

:drool

What other Murakami have you read?

Pretty much everything he's written. I just finished up Underground: The Tokyo Gas Attack recently. I've had After Dark for a while, but I'm just finding books fun to read again (going into graduate school immediately after undergrad ruined the concept of reading fun for A LONG TIME). Gonna track down English versions of Hear the Wing Sing and Pinball, 1973 while I'm in Tokyo.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 08:40:33 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #455 on: January 11, 2010, 08:48:32 PM »
I read Fahrenheit when I was 12 or so, great book. More recently (8 years ago) I read Dandelion Wine and I remember it being good.
jon

ch1nchilla

« Reply #456 on: January 11, 2010, 11:43:21 PM »
After Dark is one of my least favorite Murakami novels (abstract even for him), but it's still a good read. Pretty short too. I'm honestly trying to expand beyond Murakami because he's all I've read consistently for a good 2 years. Hence, 2666.

Fresh Prince

« Reply #457 on: January 11, 2010, 11:48:08 PM »
I am reading Cat's Cradle.

« Reply #458 on: January 12, 2010, 12:12:40 AM »
After Dark is one of my least favorite Murakami novels (abstract even for him), but it's still a good read. Pretty short too. I'm honestly trying to expand beyond Murakami because he's all I've read consistently for a good 2 years. Hence, 2666.

Yeah, I need to read something different after it. I'll probably read Superfreakanomics next.
野球

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #459 on: January 12, 2010, 12:24:19 AM »

Finished this a few days ago. Lots of superheroic fun. He has a pretty impressive resume as a writer for games too.
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #460 on: January 12, 2010, 02:05:09 AM »
Cajole I'm going to start reading Fahrenheit 451 this week too :rock

I just finished it a few weeks ago and loved it.  I promptly followed with a letter of apology to my high school English teachers for being such a stubborn asshole and not doing my reading assignments.
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #461 on: January 12, 2010, 02:13:33 AM »
After Fahrenheit 451,  you guys should read The Great Gatsby, Frankenstein, 1984, Pride and Prejudice, Lord of the Flies and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man as well.

thanks teach!
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #462 on: January 12, 2010, 02:14:58 AM »
They are awesome!

vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #463 on: January 12, 2010, 02:26:05 AM »
It failed to hold your interest because it is shit. I never got more than a few hundred pages into it myself.

Malazan isn't really a series in any conventional way, so very hard to compare. The only reason they get compared is because most folks haven't read anything else in the genre. Erikson is a genuine talent: a world-class writer with huge ambition. Martin is just a good, solid story-teller with a wooden ear for dialogue and a knack for timely twist. On the other hand, Erikson really doesn't give a shit whether you are capable of keeping up or not. He'll do things like pick up a plotline from (literally) 2,000 pages ago without giving you the slightest warning, only he uses totally different names for all the characters because that's how they are known over here on the other side of the world. If you figure it out, it's incredibly fun and rewarding, if you don't and just go with the flow, you'll still have a lot of fun. But if you like everything wrapped up neatly, stay the hell away.
vjj

OptimoPeach

« Reply #464 on: January 12, 2010, 02:31:59 AM »
I am reading Cat's Cradle.
My favorite Vonnegut book. I actually just finished The Sirens of Titan.

Right now I'm on the first novel in the Dark Tower series. I got a whole shitload of books for Christmas, and I'm feeling kinda guilty because I've been shitting away all my free time on vidya instead
hi5

Ecrofirt

• Heavy Metal Jesus
« Reply #465 on: January 12, 2010, 02:38:11 AM »
I recently finished Nightfall And Other Stories, and I'm now working through 50 Short Science Fiction Tales.

While I'm enjoying the science fiction quite a bit, I'd like to move on to horror after this.
8=D

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #466 on: January 12, 2010, 02:39:28 AM »
Also, fantasy is a lot better when it's not in long series'. Doorstep trilogies are the worst the genre has to offer.
vjj

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #467 on: January 12, 2010, 03:58:32 AM »
GS, go with Game of Thrones. You won't be disappointed, I guarantee it

OptimoPeach

« Reply #468 on: January 12, 2010, 04:12:08 AM »
Currently reading The Myth of Sisyphus and other essays by Albert Camus.  Sometimes when I'm reading something I marvel how a perfect a time in my life it is for me to be reading a certain book, and this is one of those times.
Ha I know that feeling. Been on a Vonnegut binge of sorts for the past year or 2 because the themes in his works resonate so soundly with me being the callow, angsty semi-adult that I am
hi5

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #469 on: January 12, 2010, 04:15:38 AM »
Materials on Canadian Income Tax

:-\ So painful.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #470 on: January 12, 2010, 08:43:55 AM »
Also, fantasy is a lot better when it's not in long series'. Doorstep trilogies are the worst the genre has to offer.

agree times a billion

but then i hate epic fantasy and love pulp fantasy
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #471 on: January 12, 2010, 09:51:08 AM »
I use stanza.

there's a pretty good PDF conversion that you can do w/ a mac, so i have a handful of pirated Terry Pratchett books I keep on there.  I don't really like the Iphone for long reading bouts, so I haven't gotten much further than a dozen pages in anything.

Here's what I dl for free from Stanza's servers

Carnaki, The Ghost Finder
The House of Souls
Masterpieces of Mystery In Four Volumes
The Night of the Long Knives
Perdido Street Station
the Screaming Mimi
Old Testament Legends
The Three Impostors

Really just classic horror stuff.  if you like the lovecraft, then please check out anything by M. R. James, Oliver Onions, William Hope Hodgeson, Arthur Machen, et al

See if you can find Supernatural Horror in Literature by Lovecraft to read about what he liked and sought to emulate.
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #472 on: January 12, 2010, 10:14:35 AM »
oh, for stanza

there may be one for pc, dunno

edit: yeah it exists for pc too

http://www.lexcycle.com/
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #473 on: January 13, 2010, 05:28:41 PM »
I'm not a big on fantasy/fiction novels, so when a friend who considers LotR as the pinnacle of the genre asks if I could name a better series/book nothing comes to my other than Sword of Truth and Wheel if Time (both which I haven't touched), which he still considers inferior to LotR.

Someone help me prove this Tolkientard wrong. This should be easy since this debate is as old as the Internet itself. 

Tell your friend to buy Game of Thrones. I really like LOTR, it was one of the first fantasy series I read, I love the films etc...but Martin's series (A Song of Ice and Fire) is far better in my opinion.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #474 on: January 13, 2010, 05:28:49 PM »
i am currently reading Joe Ambercrombie's The First Law trilogy which is "fantasy noir" that is; fantasy - faggotry and I'm really impressed with it.  Very pulpy.  Very brutish.  Very dark.  Very funny.  So perhaps suggest that?

I think you'll get reccs for George RR Martin's stuff and Malazan, but I didn't really enjoy either of those

Fantasy is kinda gay, and mostly a dead genre.

before i started to read ambercrombie, i'd have agreed with you.  this stuff harkens back to the fantasy i like.
Tonya

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #475 on: January 13, 2010, 05:30:35 PM »
GS, go with Game of Thrones. You won't be disappointed, I guarantee it

Yeah, just recommend the only one you've read. Why not throw in Harry Potter while you're at it.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #476 on: January 13, 2010, 05:31:49 PM »
i am currently reading Joe Ambercrombie's The First Law trilogy which is "fantasy noir" that is; fantasy - faggotry and I'm really impressed with it.  Very pulpy.  Very brutish.  Very dark.  Very funny.  So perhaps suggest that?

I think you'll get reccs for George RR Martin's stuff and Malazan, but I didn't really enjoy either of those

before i started to read ambercrombie, i'd have agreed with you.  this stuff harkens back to the fantasy i like.

I quite enjoyed this! It's mediocre at the beginning but once you start to see where he's going with it, it becomes increasingly awesome all the way to the end. Utter trash but fun.
vjj

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #477 on: January 13, 2010, 05:36:07 PM »

I quite enjoyed this! It's mediocre at the beginning but once you start to see where he's going with it, it becomes increasingly awesome all the way to the end. Utter trash but fun.

i went from trying to read malazan stuff again to reading best served cold so that's where my appreciation is. 

I'm 100 pages in and it's entertaining me so I'm not really seeing the mediocrity at this point
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #478 on: January 13, 2010, 05:36:34 PM »
I've heard very good things about Ambercrombie's First Law series, and definitely want to start it soon. On the flip side I haven't read or heard anything about Malazan that makes me interested in it. Sounds too bloated with poor characterization and too many heroes killing scores of enemies without breaking a sweat. Meh

Also, last time I went to Barnes and Noble I read some of Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay. Really liked what I read, but didn't have enough cash on hand to get it. I'm definitely going to pick it up next time I go shopping

Cormacaroni: uhhhh, no

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #479 on: January 13, 2010, 06:17:09 PM »
Fantasy is kinda gay, and mostly a dead genre.  Read sci-fi instead.

I agree, but then again I've read no fantasy.

Anyway, ripped through Fahrenheit 451, since it's basically a novella. Very good.

Now I am reading:

Never read any David Foster Wallace outside of his Federer piece for Play Magazine, but only 40 pages in and I'm really fucking impressed.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 06:20:00 PM by CajoleJuice »
AMC