Author Topic: Evilbore's Presidential Election Thread --Its the Final COUNTDOWN Ba da ba baaaa  (Read 460503 times)

Mandark

• Icon
Re: Evilbore's Presidential Election Thread --Its the Final COUNTDOWN Ba da ba b
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2008, 02:04:39 PM »
becaise palin is "relatable" -- the all-important characteristic for narcissistic republican ignoramuses

Yup.

Ties in with Obama being an "elitist".  Jon Chait explained the difference in right- and left-wing concepts of elitism here when Hillary was basically running as a Republican.  Definitely worth reading.

edit: Remember when Guliani said "I’m sorry that Barack Obama feels that her hometown isn’t cosmopolitan enough"?

Well that's a lie of course.  But the message he's trying to spread is that Obama looks down his nose at rural/suburban white people, that being cosmopolitan isn't a good thing, that diverse urban areas aren't really American.

It's a really nasty way to do politics even if it's very common.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 02:43:35 PM by Mandark »

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
Sorry dumb people! You need to be SMART to run a country!
o_0

Mandark

• Icon
Re: Evilbore's Presidential Election Thread --Its the Final COUNTDOWN Ba da ba b
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2008, 03:15:14 PM »
"Obama is a snob who looks down on you!" is a pretty galling meme considering that the "unity" theme of his campaign is based on the idea of empathizing with everyone across cultural, regional, and ethnic lines.

His acceptance speech was mostly about making the listeners care about the plights of others, and he's being elitist?  Gah.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
But he's a HAHVAHD educated LAWYER from BIG CITY CHICAGO MACHINE POLITICS that wants to RAISE YOUR TAXES!

Sarah Palin is a SMALL TOWN GAL with SMALL TOWN VALUES who wants to REFORM THE GOVERNMENT!

Also, wtf is a "hockey mom"?  Are we not fucking Americans here?  There may need to be some serious damage inflicted on Canadia depending on the outcome of this election.
yar

MrAngryFace

Republicans are basically banking on Americans being dumb enough to enough to eat up obvious lies.
o_0

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Republicans are basically banking on Americans being dumb enough to enough to eat up obvious lies.

It's working in the short term, too.  McCain is up on Obama 48-45 in the latest Gallup poll released today.  It's pretty funny, too- the orchestrated pageantry and obvious lies that the GOP offered up last week managed to trump the highest unemployment rate in 5 years reported Friday, and a govt. bailout of Fannie and Freddie yesterday.  SMALL TOWN VALUES AND HORSESHIT "REFORM" >>> ACTUAL ISSUES!  USA USA USA!
yar

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2008, 03:46:50 PM »

They're also banking on the media not to report on those lies consistently and loudly.

What I wouldn't give for McCain and Palin to get stuck with the liar label that Gore got back in 2000.  They've done so much more to earn it.

Beardo

« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2008, 03:49:36 PM »
I believe you elite liberal snobs threw away american flags.

SMH  :maf

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Just kidding dont kill me
[close]

« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2008, 04:49:19 PM »
Also, wtf is a "hockey mom"? 

Alaskan version of a soccer mom.
野球

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
What sort worries me is that there seemed to be a healthy amount of cynicism about Obama by black people during the primaries who he eventually won over. But Palin it seems doesn't get that trial of fire. It's understandable that conservative women are going crazy because they just want to win but what happened to the moderates?

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2008, 05:01:25 PM »
What sort worries me is that there seemed to be a healthy amount of cynicism about Obama by black people during the primaries who he eventually won over. But Palin it seems doesn't get that trial of fire. It's understandable that conservative women are going crazy because they just want to win but what happened to the moderates?

Moderates, republican party? Whaa

At the beginning of the primaries most blacks supported Clinton because she (well, her husband) already had a strong relationship with the community, and many simply didn't think Obama could win. After the SC fiasco and as Obama stacked up wins his numbers among blacks sky rocketed. Primaries are the perfect time to feel out a candidate - right now isn't a good time. Many of the more prominent republican female figures aren't happy about the Palin pick but of course they put on a very happy public face. If Palin had run for president she would have been savaged by the very people praising her every move right now. Too bad I can't change time to find out what say...Gulianni would have said about Palin during a September 07 debate

Beardo

« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2008, 05:02:50 PM »
Many of the more prominent republican female figures aren't happy about the Palin pick but of course they put on a very happy public face.
???

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2008, 05:05:11 PM »
Hutchinson? Whitman (who refused to defend Palin earlier this week)? etc

All of them were vastly more qualified than Palin.

Beardo

« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2008, 05:08:28 PM »
I saw Hutchinson praising palin on msnbc.

Fresh Prince

That probably has more to do with personal ambition than ideological differences anyway.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2008, 05:10:55 PM »
The entire GOP is putting on a happy face, as I said. Privately it's a different matter. McCain didn't get to choose who he wanted, now he's throwing the weakest hail mary pass I've ever seen.

where's Triumph?

Beardo

« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2008, 05:13:23 PM »
The entire GOP is putting on a happy face, as I said. Privately it's a different matter.

I was unaware that college internet personalities have such a rare glimpse in to the closed doors of the republican party.

Please forgive me good sir. 

MrAngryFace

I wish the women for palin were more concerned with a GOOD role model as VP, not just a woman as VP
o_0

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2008, 05:20:09 PM »
[youtube=425,350]CrG8w4bb3kg[/youtube]
yea

The entire republican mantra this election has been experience experience experience, and McCain manages to choose a VP with less experience than every single person who ran for president in both parties during the primaries. They revamped the entire convention to cater to her and McCain's newfound interest in "change"

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2008, 05:55:14 PM »
The entire GOP is putting on a happy face, as I said. Privately it's a different matter. McCain didn't get to choose who he wanted, now he's throwing the weakest hail mary pass I've ever seen.

where's Triumph?

I'm busy worrying that the American people are, in fact, dumb enough to buy what McLame is selling.

Also busy being disgusted with the media who, after an appropriate initial reaction to Mayor McMooseburger were browbeaten into not doing their job.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2008, 05:59:36 PM »
Welcome to the club BUT I hope you aren't getting down over these national polls. He's getting his convention bump, nothing amazing.

From what I heard the media has been obsessing over the pregnancy bullshit while not covering the substantiative stories, like the earmarks/bridge/troopergate/etc. The longer Palin hides the more these questions will pop up. Sucks that Charlie fucking Gibson is going to give her his trademark underhand softball "interview" 

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2008, 06:01:15 PM »
Welcome to the club BUT I hope you aren't getting down over these national polls. He's getting his convention bump, nothing amazing.

From what I heard the media has been obsessing over the pregnancy bullshit while not covering the substantiative stories, like the earmarks/bridge/troopergate/etc. The longer Palin hides the more these questions will pop up. Sucks that Charlie fucking Gibson is going to give her his trademark underhand softball "interview" 

When is this?  Charlie Gibson is a fucking douchenugget, too.  The one time he decides to play hardball is with Obama during the primaries.  smh.  "bu-bu-but capital gains tax!  WHY YOU WANNA TAX MAH INVESTMENTS!??"
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
I'm not really getting down over the polls right now.  In another week or two (right before the first debate, actually) would be a good time to start taking the polls (other than statewide polls and trends of course) seriously.  I'm bummed because I can actually see McCain's strategy working well enough for him to eke out a win.  I think he has a reasonable chance to win in Ohio now, and Obama is gonna need to play defense in Pennsylvania and Michigan.  If Obama can't carry Michigan, he's fucked.  Fortunately my uncle on my mom's side used to be a Republican county commissioner in Western Michigan and he's told me that people over there aren't really buying what McCain's selling, and he used to be a big McCain backer back in 2000.  Of course that's all anecdotal but meh.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2008, 06:18:55 PM »
I think Michigan is safe. McCain would have to win Oakland County handily to offset the utter onslaught of black votes Obama will get in Detroit (Wayne County); and right now Obama is up in Oakland Country so it's lookin dark blue to me. Penn is in Obama's column as well, right now at least. I think the Biden choice locked that state down
http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/

I'm more concerned about Colorado and Ohio. I think it's safe to say Florida is McCain's, although maybe Palin's jews for jesus story will flip it (doubtful imo). If McCain retains Ohio and wins Colorado he's in a good position to win. Looks like NM is Obama land, and everyone is saying he's going to take Nevada due to the voter registration explosion.

Honestly I've been keeping my expectations at 0 since this thing began so I don't feel crushed if Obama loses...but I'm starting to feel confident and it's scaring the shit out of me. Looking at the map all Obama has to do is keep all the Kerry states (easily done) and take Nevada and NM to get a 269 tie (which equals an Obama win). If he flips Colorado he wins. And in terms of best case scenarios if he wins Virginia he'll have breathing room.

looking at the registration numbers NC could go blue...I'm not getting my hopes up but jesus christ if Obama can get all these new dems to show up he could keep the poll workers counting all night long.

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2008, 07:23:08 PM »
I believe you elite liberal snobs threw away american flags.

SMH  :maf

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Just kidding dont kill me
[close]

despite our political differences, that's a sweet avatar
Tonya

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Obama rick rolls the RNC:

[youtube=425,350]_TiQCJXpbKg[/youtube]

yar

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2008, 07:37:32 PM »
god, fuck that bio of palin in the washington post today.  they manage to mention the publice safety commissioner's dismissal without mentioning WHY he was fired, and talk about her lack of endorsement for her mother-in-law's campaign like it's proof of her commitment to her faith.  i really really really do not want her in the white house.  COME ON BARACK ITS TIME TO START REWRITING HER BIO
pcp

Human Snorenado

• Icon
FA- it's sad but true.  We are rapidly moving towards this:

yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2008, 07:48:26 PM »
wtf is that from

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #89 on: September 07, 2008, 07:49:51 PM »
wtf is that from

wtf maurice you haven't seen motherfucking Idiocracy?

Ban this filth.

yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
"Shit.

I know shit's bad right now, what with the dust storms and the economy and we're running out of burrito coverings."

yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
I've never seen idiocracy either :(

Fuckin people from Michigan, I SWEAR!
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #92 on: September 07, 2008, 07:53:43 PM »
i thought he was the president in that sci fi bruce willis movie where he's a cab driver

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Best speech ever.

"here's a solution.  you're a dick"

"South Carolina, whassup!"
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #94 on: September 07, 2008, 07:57:22 PM »
dude did you see Kwame throw Jennifer Granholm under the bus? I wanted to puch the tv 

that motherfucker will be back, mark my words

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #95 on: September 07, 2008, 07:59:35 PM »
dude did you see Kwame throw Jennifer Granholm under the bus? I wanted to puch the tv 

that motherfucker will be back, mark my words

Just like Marion Berry!
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #96 on: September 07, 2008, 08:03:28 PM »
I hope the DA offers Beatty the best deal possible if she rats on him. She knows enough stuff to land Kwame's stripper killing ass in jail for a long time

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #97 on: September 07, 2008, 08:12:53 PM »
Nope. I'm in Washtenaw County which is Obama land; I see McCain ads all the time but I doubt a small group would try to run shit here.

imo Kwame did Granholm and Obama a favor during his speech. By throwing her under the bus he realllly created a public rift, making it hard for anyone to tie him to the rest of the party. The GOP can't win on the issues, but unfortunately they can win with this guilt by association bullshit - I just don't see it sticking in Michigan.

Fresh Prince

« Reply #98 on: September 07, 2008, 08:30:01 PM »
I remember some gaffers saying with McCain (and Obama) at the helm we'd see a clean fight  ::)

MrAngryFace

Well, McCain made like he wanted to do that, but decided not to. Obama has been fairly clean, unfortunately a large majority of americans would rather give in to groupthink and stupid bullshit so there ya go.
o_0

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #100 on: September 07, 2008, 08:38:24 PM »
cheebs probably said that

I'd imagine McCain would prefer a clean fight but he doesn't control his campaign. Expect them to pull out all the stops if McCain loses the first debate. October will be renamed Wrightober

MrAngryFace

Yeah I totally expect them to pull out all of the old controversies through Palin to avoid the issue of her having no experience or anything interesting to say.
o_0

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Yeah, McCain would probably rather be running a different kind of campaign.  And he rather would have picked Joe Lieberman or Ridge as his running mate.

But more than all of that, it's obvious that he wants to win.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #103 on: September 07, 2008, 08:49:01 PM »
Cognitive Dissonance 08. McCain's a maverick who bucks the party line but can't even choose his own running mate without getting vetoed by the grand ole party.

i'm usually a pathetic cynic, and if these polls - or at least their general, collectiv etrends - mean anything, mccain has a good 50% chance of winning it.   which is pretty fucking pathetic, but mentally i'm already reading myself for a mccain-palin  catastrofuck once again.  i take solace in knowing that mccain is no bush or cheney, and i am PRETTY SURE that once he gets into the presidency, he will turn out  tobe more moderate than he currently is allowed to be.

i've long given up trying to care about US's direction.  if americans choose to be this unintelligent, then why not vote mccain?  sure, the whole world is all the worse for it, but we're all mortals anyawys. right guys?
Crm

MrAngryFace

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/08/business/media/08msnbc.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1

But as the past two weeks have shown, that success has a downside. When the vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin lamented media bias during her speech, attendees of the Republican convention loudly chanted “NBC.”

Yeah cuz why would they all chant "Fox News"? Doesn't take a genius.
o_0

MrAngryFace

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/07/palins-absence-becomes-fo_n_124608.html -- Palins first interview incoming! Too bad it will probably be 30 minutes of 'how do u like being vp? do u h8 media now? do u liek being mom?'

http://pol.moveon.org/palinclocks.html
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 01:23:51 AM by MrAngryFace »
o_0

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #107 on: September 08, 2008, 01:33:39 AM »
wtf is that from

wtf maurice you haven't seen motherfucking Idiocracy?

Ban this filth.

(Image removed from quote.)

Prophetic as the movie may turn out to be, it just isn't that good. The acting is bad, the jokes are unfunny, and the production values are terrible.

And the narration . . .  :-X

MrAngryFace

Most people i've talked to liked the movie for its absurd and crude imagery. Expecting 'clever' from a movie called idiocracy?
o_0

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
Most people i've talked to liked the movie for its absurd and crude imagery. Expecting 'clever' from a movie called idiocracy?

When did I use the word "clever"?

But just because the title of the movie is Idiocracy, doesn't mean it can't be clever.

Mandark

• Icon
I haven't seen Idiocracy but I get a strong vibe that it's better as a source of references and in-jokes than it is a movie.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
I haven't seen Idiocracy but I get a strong vibe that it's better as a source of references and in-jokes than it is a movie.

That's very much the case.  It's nowhere near the gold that Office Space was, but considering the political climate we find ourselves in, Idiocracy is starting to become funnier and funnier.
püp

Human Snorenado

• Icon
The funniest thing about Idiocracy was President Camacho. 
yar

Tundra

• Shower Expert
« Reply #113 on: September 08, 2008, 09:38:38 AM »
Has anybody on this board noticed that the chancellor candidate of the German SPD (comparable to the US's Democrats) for next years election was announced? Do you even know the name of the current German Chancellor?

It's interesting, how the whole world is watching the american run for the presidency, yet most people don't even know who the presidents/Chancellors/Prime Ministers of most other countries in the G7 are...

poo

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #114 on: September 08, 2008, 09:47:13 AM »
Has anybody on this board noticed that the chancellor candidate of the German SPD (comparable to the US's Democrats) for next years election was announced? Do you even know the name of the current German Chancellor?

It's interesting, how the whole world is watching the american run for the presidency, yet most people don't even know who the presidents/Chancellors/Prime Ministers of most other countries in the G7 are...

Isn't Angela Merkel the German chancellor?  Is the new candidate in the same party or not?  Who's likely to win?
yar

Tundra

• Shower Expert
« Reply #115 on: September 08, 2008, 09:56:42 AM »

Isn't Angela Merkel the German chancellor?  Is the new candidate in the same party or not?  Who's likely to win?

Angela Merkel, who is the German chancellor is in the CDU (Christian Democratic Union), and vice chancellor Frank-Walter Steinmeier is in the SPD (Social party of Deutschland/Germany), thats the two biggest parties of Germany. Currently we have a "Große Koalition", means, the two big parties have to rule together, because neither of them got enough votes to rule together with one of the smaller parties they usually bundle up with (CDU with FDP, and SPD with the Green Party).

Yesterday the SPD announced, that Steinmeier, the current vice chancellor, will run for being the position of chancellor in next year votes.

Probably Merkel will win though, she is incredible popular here in Germany.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 09:58:25 AM by Tundra »
poo

Human Snorenado

• Icon
How conservative is the CDU?  Would you compare them to the Republicans over here, or are you familiar enough with them to make the comparison?  I'm curious about international politics, I keep hearing that the conservatives in Europe aside from the splinter racist groups are basically as conservative as moderate Democrats over here.
yar

Tundra

• Shower Expert
« Reply #117 on: September 08, 2008, 10:28:19 AM »
How conservative is the CDU?  Would you compare them to the Republicans over here, or are you familiar enough with them to make the comparison?  I'm curious about international politics, I keep hearing that the conservatives in Europe aside from the splinter racist groups are basically as conservative as moderate Democrats over here.

Well, the point is, you will probably never see anything as conservative and especially patriotic as American parties over here in Germany, and seeing our history, it's understandable why.
We had a large discussion going on over here after Obamas visit to Berlin, why we don't have any politicians like that, guys who take the masses with their rhetorics, and the general answer was, well we had one in last centuries' 30ies, and we all know how that turned out. So Germans are very wary of people preaching when it comes to politics. And by that being too patriotic is a big no these days as well.

But if you look at a few other countries in Europa, like Italy, you have someone like Silvio Berlusconi, who might be considered very conservative, some might even say he is kind of a Nazi.

But generally you are right. Conservatives over here are basically as conservative as moderate Democrats in the US.

poo

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
fucking bitches.

i wish we could stab everyone in the face
Tonya