Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread

(1/8393) > >>

Phoenix Dark:
No Ichi  :-\
No Cheebs  :'(
Limited Solo cameos  :(

We can make it work though

Memento

Fuuuck what a brain buster. It took me a few minutes to "get" what was happening scene to scene, and from that point I absolutely enjoyed the film. You can watch it and guess/anticipate what's going to happen next which is very entertaining. And because of this almost puzzle like editing it has a lot of replay value; I can only watch the Sixth Sense a few times before getting bored with it

Only meh thing about the movie is the acting imo; the delivery of lines (well, in Pierce's case) seemed off, more reading than acting.

9/10

Lawrence of Arabia

If there's one thing I love it's a good epic movie, and LoA surpasses that to greatness. It's amazing on every level, with the cinematography especially standing out to me; omg everything looked beautiful and there are some fuck awesome shots. I had heard of TS Elliot before but never really knew much about him. This is a biopic that you don't finish watching and forget about: I wound up looking up the story and learning some cool stuff. But back to the movie - interesting how the film starts with Elliot...

spoilers for a fucking old movie
spoiler (click to show/hide)dying such an ordinary death before going over his truly amazing life. [close]
Another interesting aspect of the movie is the compare/contrast of the classical racism/supremest views of imperialist Britain - evident in all the military commanders - and Elliot's messianic complex.

10/10

Leon: The Professional

At the start of the film I kinda expected a typical overblown, exaggerated action flick but it's something entirely different. It reminded me of Heat in the sense that while it tries and succeeds at being more than an action film, it's not as good as it could/should have been, like something is missing. It's a story that's been told a billion times but done differently, like the Karate Kid with assassins or some shit. I actually cared about the characters involved, and the emotional aspect of the story isn't done too cheesy imo. Reno is best when just being himself, and while Portman didn't totally succeed at pulling off such an emotional performance (that's a hard task for any child actor) I thought she was believable, very likable. No pedo but that's the best she's looked in any movie

But fucking Gary Oldman stole the entire movie. What a fucking badass. He overacts a bit at times but overall he was great; reminded me of the Joker in TDK in the sense that everytime he's on camera you feel a sense of suspense, and don't know wtf he's gonna do.

8/10

CajoleJuice:

--- Quote from: Sec. of Defense James Heller on September 23, 2008, 08:33:34 PM ---No pedo but that's the best she's looked in any movie

--- End quote ---

Go watch Closer, pedo.

Beezy:
American Gangster
Decent, but overrated.

Lucky Number Slevin
Loved it, underrated movie.

Deja Vu
Robin Thicke's wife is so sexy.

Bourne Identity
Expected it to suck, but it was really good.

...I don't really do reviews.

Mr. Gundam:
The last movies I saw in the theater (rarely rent movies) were:

Frozen River: Really well done film that was obviously made on a shoe-string budget. It was nice to see Indian reservation life portrayed in a film, even if it was even more depressing than what I experience at work on a daily basis. If this plays near you, it's worth watching.

Hamlet 2: What can I say other than "rock me sexy Jesus," "raped in the face" and "those Bible bangers can go suck a big bag of dicks"?

CajoleJuice:
Beezy :bow

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version