Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4170511 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: The Movie News Topic
« Reply #18060 on: September 26, 2013, 01:56:55 AM »
What the hell was that?

The first movie to require an Origin install.

Mupepe

• Icon
Re: The new and improved "Movies you've seen recently" thread
« Reply #18061 on: September 29, 2013, 04:34:47 PM »
Don Jon

really good movie. Funny. Well paced. Well edited. Interesting and original. Definitely worth your money. Has some good commentary on the way men and women view sex

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #18062 on: September 29, 2013, 05:04:55 PM »
Saw Sinister last week. As far as these types of movies go, it was decent. Ethan Hawke really sells it, probably wouldn't have been nearly as good had he not been in it. Gets a tiny bit Freddy Krueger near the end.
sup

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #18063 on: September 29, 2013, 05:48:48 PM »
Aftershock starring Eli Roth. I think that they spunked most of the budget on doing irl cool shit, with the added bonus of legions of Chilean gullible hot starlets everywhere.

It's actually just a bad film. Does Eli Roth die? Who cares? No-one. And why? Everybody hates the smart Jews.
:{]

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #18064 on: October 02, 2013, 01:05:53 PM »
whoops

wrong thread
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 01:16:14 PM by Eric P »
Tonya

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #18065 on: October 12, 2013, 12:08:09 AM »
Captain Phillips - it was excellent. So intense and gripping, excellent acting all around...
^_^

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #18066 on: October 12, 2013, 12:17:51 AM »
the original Mission Impossible was flawless. stop it

YOU stop it. The first one is about the team... for about five minutes. Then it's all about TEH CRUISE MISSILE! I like all the other M:I movies just fine.

Because his team got killed. Then he joined a new team that helped him own the shit out of the guys who killed his first team.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18067 on: October 12, 2013, 12:20:59 AM »
Watched Gremlins on Bluray with the parents. First time I've watched it all the way through, although I've seen parts of it on TV years ago. It still holds up pretty good as a fun little creature-feature romp.
dog

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #18068 on: October 12, 2013, 12:42:40 AM »
the prelude to the kitchen brawl has just about perfect horror-movie staging, gosh dang, whatta flick.

and there's some egg on my face.  A few months ago I was up and ready to acclaim the excellent Europa Report as the year's best space-thriller, but, shit, Gravity makes a veeerrry strong case for itself.  I mean, damn, that spectacle...

Shit.

I mean, dang, and all.

Just wow.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18069 on: October 12, 2013, 08:55:42 AM »
the prelude to the kitchen brawl has just about perfect horror-movie staging, gosh dang, whatta flick.

The MC's mom was a total boss in that scene. She took down three of the evolved gremlins before they finally dropped a Christmas tree on her.
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #18070 on: October 13, 2013, 11:33:30 PM »
Got around to seeing Kill List

Uh, it was definitely well made and I'm all for leaving ambiguous stuff in to promote thinking and discussion, but after reading a bunch of internet articles on theories and interviews with the director it seems more a case of making a competent movie that doesn't really tell a decent story and the director hides the ball to make it seem like there's something there when there really isn't.  The only theories that kiiiind of work
spoiler (click to show/hide)
antichrist initiation, dream, subconcious fantasy
[close]
still don't entirely work when you take all the parts of the film together and even if they did work, they're kind of dumb so I'd rather the film be about something a little more high-brow.  I read a few that said it was political commentary on London's involvement in Iraq but not being from London and not really keeping up with their politics, can't really relate.

It's definitely no Lynch film.

Bebpo

« Reply #18071 on: October 14, 2013, 03:22:09 AM »
Saw Gravity.  Really nicely shot, good 3d, good acting, good just about everything.  Only complaints are the manipulative EVERYTHING HAS TO COME DOWN TO THE LAST SECOND TO KEEP SUSPENSE AT MAXIMUM AT TIME AFTER TIME which is a cliche'd suspense building style that kills believability as it compounds the unbelievable more and more; but otherwise it's pretty quality.

Also thought about Kill List more and bumped my opinion of it from a 2.5/4 to a 3/4.  My theory on the film is
Dude has anger management and fucking hates his wife.  So he creates this fantasy where he's the "hero" and goes around killing everyone he doesn't like (he hates religion so he kills a priest; he loves kids so he kills a pedo); the part where the girl is hung by the cult and everyone clips, the girl looks like his wife and waves before she's strangled by the noose.  The girl (his wife) kills herself and everyone claps because he's happy she's gone.  Finally he completes the process and gets the satisfaction of killing her himself in a raw mono e mono duel giving those gladiator adrenaline rush and she dies along with the baggage that's connected to her (his son) and then he gets crowned the hero and everyone claps and he wins the game of life.  He also gets to kill his friend through the cult psychos in his fantasy because he's jealous of how friendly the guy is with his wife and again the main guy has crazy anger management issues so deep down he wants to stab his friend to death for that.  Then the multiple reoccurence of the dark haired girl eventually being part of the cult that is making him a hero is seen by him as an escape, a attractive woman that isn't his wife who he hates so much so he looks to her for being led around and away from his marriage/wife and she's clapping when he kills his family and is free again. 

I dunno, I'm sure there's some holes in there because I think the film is too ambiguous so it's hard to explain everything with any theory but that's what I got out of it.  Don't think it's a great film or anything, but I guess it's sort of interesting.  Just because a film is ambiguous and let's you make theories doesn't make it good, despite what hipsters would want everyone to believe! 
[close]

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #18072 on: October 14, 2013, 03:08:19 PM »
Saw the Great Gatsby the other day.

It was an unusual movie, in that it is gorgeous to look at and everything is well done. The sets, the costumes, the supporting roles. But it just never really moves you to care or even attempts to connect emotionally. It's like a Roaring Twenties fever dream set to hip hop.

I think part of it lays at the feet of Dicaprio. It struck me while watching this that he never really gives warmth to any part he does. There is just some disconnect there he is unable to portray. From The Aviator, to The Departed, to Shutter Island and now this movie, he plays these tragic figures that you never can relate to.  You're always kept at arms distance.

He's like this perfectly capable mannequin that moves through scenes expertly carrying the film along.  But when the resolution hits, you don't really feel the loss or the tragedy.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #18073 on: October 14, 2013, 03:27:10 PM »
The pacing bothered me more than anything in The Great Gatsby.  I'm not sure what it was but it all felt a little flat.  Maybe it's because there was such a visual spectacle from beginning to end and there definitely was an emotional disconnect with the movie.  It definitely bugged me because I find the book extremely easy to relate to emotionally. 

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #18074 on: October 14, 2013, 03:49:02 PM »
Got around to seeing Kill List

Uh, it was definitely well made and I'm all for leaving ambiguous stuff in to promote thinking and discussion, but after reading a bunch of internet articles on theories and interviews with the director it seems more a case of making a competent movie that doesn't really tell a decent story and the director hides the ball to make it seem like there's something there when there really isn't.  The only theories that kiiiind of work
antichrist initiation, dream, subconcious fantasy
[close]
still don't entirely work when you take all the parts of the film together and even if they did work, they're kind of dumb so I'd rather the film be about something a little more high-brow.  I read a few that said it was political commentary on London's involvement in Iraq but not being from London and not really keeping up with their politics, can't really relate.

It's definitely no Lynch film.

I thought it was rather clear cut

He was being tested for initiation, not necessarily as antichrist but as their leader. There must have been two kill lists as well, considering all his victims recognized him and were quite happy to play a role in the ceremony. They wanted to know whether his break down in Kiev was a one time thing, or a character trait. Needless to say he quickly proved that he was more than capable of the savagery they were looking for.
[close]

« Reply #18075 on: October 16, 2013, 03:47:32 PM »
Gonna see Gravity in 3D tonight at a place that serves alcohol. Aww yeah.
野球

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #18076 on: October 16, 2013, 04:21:56 PM »

Don't drink too much.
AMC

« Reply #18077 on: October 16, 2013, 04:28:44 PM »

Don't drink too much.

Just one beer. Don't want to get motion sick.
野球

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #18078 on: October 17, 2013, 01:27:01 PM »

So the Paranormal Activity latino spin off is some Mexican't kids in california smh  :goty
Drunk

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #18079 on: October 17, 2013, 01:40:38 PM »
So the Paranormal Activity latino spin off is some Mexican't kids in california smh  :goty

You know it's gonna be shit because they're not even trying to release it for Halloween, instead it's January.
©@©™

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #18080 on: October 17, 2013, 04:54:07 PM »
Pacific Rim has done crazy box-office gold in China, they seriously missed out by not having some sort of Indian robot.
:{]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18081 on: October 17, 2013, 09:20:22 PM »
Pacific Rim has done crazy box-office gold in China, they seriously missed out by not having some sort of Indian robot.

Yeah, but an Indian robot wouldn't be able to fight, it would just have to do a big dance number to defeat the Kaiju.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18082 on: October 17, 2013, 09:27:28 PM »
I dunno, I thought it looked pretty good.   :-[

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #18083 on: October 19, 2013, 01:35:34 AM »

this...actually looks pretty good
___

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18084 on: October 19, 2013, 01:44:42 AM »
Unfortunately, Orson Scott Card:

Obama will claim we need a national police force in order to fight terrorism and crime. The Boston bombing is a useful start, especially when combined with random shootings by crazy people.

Where will he get his "national police"? The NaPo will be recruited from "young out-of-work urban men" and it will be hailed as a cure for the economic malaise of the inner cities.

In other words, Obama will put a thin veneer of training and military structure on urban gangs, and send them out to channel their violence against Obama's enemies.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 01:47:28 AM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #18085 on: October 19, 2013, 01:13:26 PM »
be real now. the book is ok. good, not great.

Not good enough by a longshot to redeem OSC as a shitstain to humanity, but it is ok.
___

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18086 on: October 21, 2013, 06:52:56 AM »
http://screenrant.com/army-darkness-2-evil-dead-4-bruce-campbell-returning/

Speaking at Wondercon earlier this year, Alvarez confirmed that Raimi is working on Army of Darkness 2, and also revealed that current plans include a seventh film that will take place after Army of Darkness 2 and the rebooted Evil Dead 2, reuniting both the original series and the reboot in a crossover. Obviously, all that will be quite a long way down the line, but ComicBook.com now reports that Campbell has confirmed his decision to return as Ash in Army of Darkness 2.

:hyper

G The Resurrected

« Reply #18087 on: October 21, 2013, 07:26:27 AM »
Yes to another Army of Darkness, but no to anything that involves that crappy piece of shit movie that came out earlier this year. There is only room enough in this universe for one Ashley James Williams!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18088 on: October 21, 2013, 09:43:35 AM »
Ash also agreed with you: "Good? Bad? I'm the one with the gun."

Tasty

« Reply #18089 on: October 21, 2013, 10:58:13 AM »
The new EVIL DEAD was so good though. :rejoice

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #18090 on: October 22, 2013, 08:54:38 AM »
went to go see Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2 and liked it well enough, but the 3D isn't really essential.  Lots of cute visual puns but the film seemed to be very toyetic and determined to make a bunch of catchphrases and merchandising opportunities rather inelegantly.  I think I prefer the first one.  I'd say catch it on home video.
Tonya

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18091 on: October 22, 2013, 09:58:47 AM »

Yeah, but an Indian robot wouldn't be able to fight, it would just have to do a big dance number to defeat the Kaiju.

Sounds good to me.
dog

Tasty

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #18093 on: October 24, 2013, 02:00:12 PM »

Someone hold me :lawd
Drunk

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18094 on: October 24, 2013, 02:37:18 PM »
That flying aircraft carrier gets destroyed AGAIN?
dog

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #18095 on: October 24, 2013, 02:44:30 PM »
Helicrashier
乱学者

cool breeze

« Reply #18096 on: October 24, 2013, 02:50:37 PM »

$25 Billion in tax payers' dollars. And the government is spyin in us.  Thanks, Ellis.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18097 on: October 24, 2013, 04:35:39 PM »
I am so hard right now

Tasty

« Reply #18098 on: October 24, 2013, 04:51:05 PM »
:aah

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #18099 on: October 24, 2013, 05:32:43 PM »
I guess I'm alone in my disinterest in Captain America after the first one.  I won't be fooled again.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18100 on: October 24, 2013, 05:34:34 PM »
You gay. 

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #18101 on: October 24, 2013, 05:37:43 PM »
Your face is gay.  The first movie was boring dog shit.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #18102 on: October 24, 2013, 06:09:34 PM »

I agree, the first movie was boring ... oh sorry thought we were talking about Thor.
乱学者

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #18103 on: October 24, 2013, 06:37:13 PM »

It wasn't destroyed in the Avengers, just temporarily crippled. :nerd
WDW

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18104 on: October 24, 2013, 06:54:52 PM »

nah, you're the one with the gay face

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #18105 on: October 24, 2013, 07:01:10 PM »

I agree, the first movie was boring ... oh sorry thought we were talking about Thor.

get real Howard

no one ever talks about thor
Tonya

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #18106 on: October 24, 2013, 07:10:07 PM »

honest mistake. All the marvel movies pretty much feel the same.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18107 on: October 24, 2013, 07:11:01 PM »

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #18108 on: October 24, 2013, 07:12:35 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

lol

what movie is that from
乱学者

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #18109 on: October 24, 2013, 07:36:33 PM »
Ice Pirates
vin

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #18110 on: October 24, 2013, 08:21:07 PM »
Ice Pirates

Sounds more exciting than Captain America and Thor.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #18111 on: October 24, 2013, 08:36:08 PM »
WDW

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #18112 on: October 24, 2013, 09:03:15 PM »
 :kobeyuck
乱学者

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18113 on: October 24, 2013, 09:56:35 PM »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #18114 on: October 24, 2013, 09:59:52 PM »
Yeah maybe they shouldn't have made a sequel. Have their ever been good comedy sequels?

« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 10:05:03 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #18115 on: October 24, 2013, 10:04:36 PM »
I guess I'm alone in my disinterest in Captain America after the first one.  I won't be fooled again.
THANK YOU.

The first Captian America is god awful. It starts off well enough and then just turns into shit action movie when he becomes Captian America. Boring and bland romance. Boring uncharacteristic villains that aren't the slightest interesting with whatever their goal is. Craptastic attempt at sidekicks that I'm not sure anyone even remembers.

It was just so bad. The action was bad. The effects were bad. Remember when Bucky died and you laughed? I sure did. CA is really the worst Marvel movie.

Thor may be boring or whatever, but the lead is at least charming and there is an actual plot that runs throughout the entire movie.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 10:34:25 PM by Rahxephon91 »

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #18116 on: October 24, 2013, 10:32:28 PM »
I'm going to agree there.  Hell, I thought Thor actually had pretty crappy action (thanks shaky cam) but that it was still miles above the more competent but soulless Captain America.

The only three things I remember from Captain America is how constantly I thought of the word 'Perfunctory', bad green screen effects, and that setpiece in the tilting airplane that actually was kind of cool.  Still, its mediocre if I'm even being kind.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18117 on: October 24, 2013, 11:03:35 PM »
Ice Pirates

Sounds more exciting than Captain America and Thor.

Ice Pirates is most definitely a better movie than Captain America or Thor:

dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18118 on: October 25, 2013, 12:16:50 AM »
Ice Pirates was a ton of fun. I can't believe Angelica Huston isn't featured in the preview. She was super in it.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #18119 on: October 25, 2013, 01:21:22 AM »