Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4182630 times)

Bebpo

Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #35040 on: August 28, 2019, 03:36:45 PM »
Ready or Not was good fun. I liked the ending and the main gal is great.

Bebpo

« Reply #35041 on: August 28, 2019, 03:39:07 PM »
Wait, Paul Rudd's career started in Halloween? Learn something new everyday.

I mean, I think Clueless was his first credited role, but Halloween was the second.

Also, Hellraiser: Bloodline gave us Adam Scott!

Oh wow, that's weird seeing hunky Adam Scott.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #35042 on: August 28, 2019, 03:55:09 PM »
So the Joker movie is just King of Comedy with facepaint? That's cool I guess. At the very least it looks different from all the other superhero dreck out there.

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #35043 on: August 28, 2019, 04:38:07 PM »
Joker movie will either be a masterpiece or garbage. I don’t see it being anywhere in the middle.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35045 on: August 28, 2019, 05:11:29 PM »
Joker movie will either be a masterpiece or garbage. I don’t see it being anywhere in the middle.

What if it's a disasterpiece?
dog

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #35046 on: August 28, 2019, 05:26:13 PM »
Really enjoyed Where'd You Go, Bernadette. Can come off a little schlocky perhaps at times, but I didn't mind so much. Dig the aspects of anxiety and family. Things I relate to or dynamics I personally have seen. Some that I long for myself and other I hope I will not replicate. Cate is lights out in this film too which isn't a surprise. She may be my favorite actress.
I didn't read the book which is supposedly way better, but I can't compare so it didn't impact my viewing experience. I can see if someone isn't attached to some of the things the movie is about or isn't dealing with some issues the movie presents it might make for ho hum viewing. For me it was a little more personal.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #35047 on: August 28, 2019, 05:40:57 PM »
I heard the movie was weak but still wanted to check it out being a Linklater stan. Seeing as he has his own trappings would you say it's not out of place in his filmography?
I totally forgot Richard directed it until the credits came up. I knew it when I saw the trailers a long time ago and then totally forgot.

Honestly man, I think it's much more for a Cate Blanchett fan (and I am) than a Linklater fan (which I am as well). I could see some people see it a little "chick flick-y" to some degree. But I don't know. I do see it being somewhat for the person who deals with anxiety. I see it for the person who has a fucked up family, but longs for a functional one full of love (and the film essentially shows both). If somebody scoffs at that, then pass.

Probably not too important in the greater Linklater filmography.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #35048 on: August 28, 2019, 11:37:24 PM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #35049 on: August 29, 2019, 12:00:22 AM »
the main theme from puppet master was cool  8)

EightBitNate

« Reply #35050 on: August 29, 2019, 07:25:20 PM »
Yo https://www.metacritic.com/movie/marriage-story

97 Metacritic after 9 reviews. Obviously it’ll drop a little but that’s incredible. Easily award season potential.

Also Ad Astra reviewing well https://www.metacritic.com/movie/ad-astra

Been a long time since movies I got hyped for turned out great like this
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 07:32:59 PM by EightBitNate »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #35052 on: August 30, 2019, 09:55:55 PM »
First time watching the OG version of Let the Right One In and I just found it funny that the title itself suggests more substance in the film than the condensed version of the domesticated version. Even the stills, scene to scene of the original, are far better than the one most know. It also has way more of a societal bite.
:9

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #35053 on: August 30, 2019, 10:03:10 PM »
Holy fuck this is dark wtf

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #35054 on: August 30, 2019, 10:07:02 PM »
Holy fuck this is dark wtf

:rofl

I mean, I'm not disturbed but shit. Should have known better I initially watched the sanitized version, Jesus lol

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #35055 on: August 30, 2019, 10:42:51 PM »
I haven't watched either in a decade but I remember both were equally good and I didn't have a preference. I think the original might have been slightly darker.
每天生气

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #35056 on: August 30, 2019, 10:46:22 PM »
It's funny I'm watching the OG from the lens of watching it from the domesticated version and I can percieve the subtle emotional cues imbued in the OG. Where the remake follows the overt overtones as laid by the original. Yet there's a beautiful subtleness to the original that is absolutely stunning by comparison. It's the difference between rote and emotion.

EightBitNate

« Reply #35057 on: August 31, 2019, 02:07:19 PM »
Joker reviews coming in 👀

nudemacusers

« Reply #35058 on: August 31, 2019, 03:09:26 PM »
Todd Phillips directed a gg allin doc. This is his wheelhouse; it’ll be good.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35059 on: August 31, 2019, 04:53:18 PM »
John Wick 3

Wow, what a ride. Halle Barry still got it in those leather pants :whew and on top of that exactly what I wanted from a John Wick action flick.
I would say 1 > 3 > 2 for this series because 1 had the best arc and story. But all 3 are stellar films if you like to watch Keanu kill a bunch of clowns in the most awesome ways.
It looked great too, loved the lighting effects, action shots and more varied locales. Would John Wick again.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
When's John Wick 4.... Keanu teaming up with Laurence Fishburne  :lawd
[close]
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #35060 on: August 31, 2019, 04:55:30 PM »
haven't jerked it to halle barry in a long time, might have to give jw3 a watch  :-[

nudemacusers

« Reply #35061 on: August 31, 2019, 05:38:27 PM »
Monsters ball tho :lawd
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35062 on: August 31, 2019, 05:52:02 PM »
queen

She has this awesome fighting style where she teams up with her dogs who usually go for the genitals while she shoots the clowns in the head.  8)
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #35063 on: August 31, 2019, 05:55:32 PM »
gilf

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #35064 on: August 31, 2019, 06:13:55 PM »
I didn't like 3 that much.

The fights felt slower than i remembered the previous movies' being, and the story is getting to be too fucking stupid for its own good (why even go in the desert to become Ezio Auditore? That whole arc was completely pointless).

And too much jarring cgi elements during the fights, too.

I'll give the dogs and the super shotty at the end props though, they saved the movie for me.
-
The last two Mission Impossible stay winning as best action movies ever made (in the West).  ::)

Cruise Missile > Sad Keanu

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35065 on: August 31, 2019, 06:19:14 PM »

The fights felt slower than i remembered the previous movies' being, and the story is getting to be too fucking stupid for its own good (why even go in the desert to become Ezio Auditore? That whole arc was completely pointless).

I'll give the dogs and the super shotty at the end props though, they saved the movie for me.
-
The last two Mission Impossible stay winning as best action movies ever made (in the West).  ::)

Those films were indeed great so I say why not both?

Maybe have Keanu as the bad guy in the new MI. Keanu vs. Cruise Missile :lawd

The fights were pretty much the same pace but these went on for longer than usual. Especially the last one.
The nightclub scene in JW1 remains one of my favorite action scenes even if it does borrow heavily from the Collateral  8)
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #35066 on: August 31, 2019, 06:19:25 PM »
Totally disagree on most of your points. 

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #35067 on: August 31, 2019, 06:29:26 PM »

-

The fights were pretty much the same pace but these went on for longer than usual. Especially the last one.
The nightclub scene in JW1 remains one of my favorite action scenes even if it does borrow heavily from the Collateral  8)
No disagreement there, they're still some of the best action movies around, don't get me wrong.

When i mentioned the speed of fights, i'm mostly referring to how fast they go through the choreography.
Usually when stuntmen perform, they have very little dead time between one hit and the next.
For being shot with regular actors though (and Keanu is sort of a special case anyway) they were pretty good, but for example in the Halle Berry fight, you could definitely feel her wait for the next beat, and compared to stuff like Ong Bak or even The Raid, it definitely feels like it's going at a slower BPM.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35068 on: August 31, 2019, 06:36:57 PM »

-

No disagreement there, they're still some of the best action movies around, don't get me wrong.

When i mentioned the speed of fights, i'm mostly referring to how fast they go through the choreography.
Usually when stuntmen perform, they have very little dead time between one hit and the next.
For being shot with regular actors though (and Keanu is sort of a special case anyway) they were pretty good, but for example in the Halle Berry fight, you could definitely feel her wait for the next beat, and compared to stuff like Ong Bak or even The Raid, it definitely feels like it's going at a slower BPM.
That was also true in the first John Wick film. There's sort of this 'pause' and then BANG. It gives it more weight or something I dunno.
The thing that gave it away in 3 though were some lightning fast sword kills.

In The Raid 1/2 and The Night Comes for Us you only get that with the bosses and even then some were surprisingly offed quickly.
Awesome that 2 guys from the Raid have actually joined the Join Wick universe  8)
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #35069 on: August 31, 2019, 06:38:33 PM »
do I need to watch wick 1 and 2 before seeing 3? I've seen parts of 1 and nothing from 2  :doge

shosta

« Reply #35070 on: August 31, 2019, 06:46:48 PM »
Yes, there are a lot of references that will make you confused if you don't do it in order
每天生气

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35071 on: August 31, 2019, 06:57:34 PM »
do I need to watch wick 1 and 2 before seeing 3? I've seen parts of 1 and nothing from 2  :doge
I would recommend watching 1 so you get to know the world and characters. 2, you could skip but why would you, great action film.
🤴

shosta

« Reply #35072 on: August 31, 2019, 10:36:50 PM »
Bebpo, you were right. Midsommar blows. Predictable, uninteresting, very skippable affair.
每天生气

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #35073 on: August 31, 2019, 10:59:24 PM »
How does it compare to Hereditary? Because i thought that was a very good horror.

shosta

« Reply #35074 on: September 01, 2019, 12:32:06 AM »
I tried watching Hereditary drunk but I passed out twenty minutes in so I'm going to try finishing it tonight and get back to you.
每天生气

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #35075 on: September 01, 2019, 12:34:38 AM »
I can't imagine watching either of those films altered. It's like watching a faces of death video with a million dollar budget. I have a low tolerance for body horror.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #35076 on: September 01, 2019, 01:57:43 AM »
Watching Last Year at Marienbad tonight, with a chaser of Wong Kar Wai's Fallen Angels.  :snob
©@©™

bluemax

NO

shosta

« Reply #35078 on: September 01, 2019, 04:01:43 AM »
How does it compare to Hereditary? Because i thought that was a very good horror.
Hereditary was maybe a hundred times better. Still shaking. Hail Paimon.
每天生气

Leadbelly

« Reply #35079 on: September 01, 2019, 05:54:56 AM »
Bebpo, you were right. Midsommar blows. Predictable, uninteresting, very skippable affair.

I haven't watched it yet, but I have heard it splits opinion. One criticism I have heard thrown at it is, very little happens throughout middle section of the film and that goes on for far too long.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35080 on: September 01, 2019, 10:30:36 AM »
Netflix certainly upped their trailers game

🤴

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #35081 on: September 01, 2019, 10:37:56 AM »

Thank God I didn't see this in theaters because I would've been laid the fuck out with death stares all around me :dead

kingv

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #35083 on: September 01, 2019, 11:28:59 AM »
Guess "sexually frustrated" has been discontinued.
ὕβρις

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #35084 on: September 01, 2019, 12:19:39 PM »

I haven't watched it yet, but I have heard it splits opinion. One criticism I have heard thrown at it is, very little happens throughout middle section of the film and that goes on for far too long.

It's very much a mood piece vs. the ramping tension in Hereditary. I liked Midsommar for the distinct vibe it has over Hereditary but Hereditary takes it if you're going for a pure horror flick. Visually and the scenario in Midsommar make it a worthwhile watch.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #35085 on: September 01, 2019, 05:37:30 PM »
Guess "sexually frustrated" has been discontinued.
I'll be watching Coppola's The Femcel Suicides, while listening to Madonna's Like a Femcel, later tonight.  :snob

Country roads, take me home, to the place I belooong, West Inceliaaaa

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #35086 on: September 01, 2019, 09:23:33 PM »
Watching Abel Ferrara's 'The Addiction' and I fucking love it. It's pretentious in the best way. The sort of pretention that allows you to selfreflect in part and gather something from it. Wrapped in the black and white neo-noir vampire scenario, which is just straight up crack for me. Plus the dialog borders on beautiful at points, although you have to wade through some edgelordy stuff which mirrors the act of writing poetry unfiltered.

There are also some gorgeous cinematic shots along with some great mood. Black and White and blood lust will always be a match made in heaven

nudemacusers

« Reply #35087 on: September 01, 2019, 09:29:16 PM »
Uhhhh has anyone else seen this movie on amazon prime “The Chair To Everywhere”? I clicked on it cuz I was in the mood for zero budget trash and the title screen was a naked chick on a dorky sci-fi chair with lightning zapping around but oh lord it is so much more...

Film opens with a quote from Plato’s The Cave, features stock footage of a galaxy and cheap renders of a woman’s silhouette... cuts to a family home, pans by a older husband/wife and adult daughter photo to a guy trying to teleport a flower between two chairs decked out in gadgets in the living room. Daughter comes home and the two discuss her pending teleportation; she ponders this further on the toilet and dad fiddles with cords while missing the dead wife... daughter is ready, some weird hand holding takes place (more on this)... and she sits in the chair to test it out... unfortunately it burns her nightgown and she has to peel it off so dad can check her back for burns.

:doge

They discuss what went wrong, daughter has her eureka moment (only non-living organic material!)and strips naked for round 2... dad fakes modesty but had no problem zapping the shit out of her for the second test :lol

Test two fails, the cause of which is her dental filling... so her solution is to have dad rip it out there on the spot while straddling her body (still nude on the chair btw)  :lol :lol

Test 3 begins without a hitch, nude daughter seems ok... dad then gets up from the couch to strangle her with a rope to coax the process along... remember the nonliving part  :doge

This is of course very traumatic for pops, but the daughter, now successfully teleported, is pretty chill. To assuage his emotions, daughter cuddles in bed with him... dad protests lightly as he hasn’t been with a woman in years  :doge but they spoon anyway  :doge

I kinda lost the plot from here but she disappears during the next teleport (this time dad kills her via lethal injection to the neck), gets switcheroo’d with a series of other naked chicks (who also get strangled to return back cuz why not). Notably, one chick tries to destroy the machine so naturally dad punches her in the face, sending her unconscious naked body to the chair in slow motion  :lol

Turns out these chicks are future lady soldiers whose teleportation has gotten intercepted by dad... the reason no dudes are coming is because future men are weak and tiny. Dad finally gets desperate, jumps in the seat nude, somehow this brings naked daughter back, they embrace, dad dies while his daughters tits hang over him... to drive home how creepy this is the film cuts to to the past where dad is holding her as an infant.  :doge

End “twist” is of course that some alien cyborg females are running a simulation of the universe, and the “teleportation” was really just an accidental hacking the system causing a reboot... movie ends with a crawl about the simulation hypothesis.. deep stuff on the nature of existence, wrapped in creepy psychosexual incesty love...

I checked this dude’s (Mol Smith) other work and this is prob the next Neil Breen. It’s all weird galaxy brain stuff mixed with tits.

One of a kind filmmaking,

F+/A- :trumps
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #35088 on: September 01, 2019, 10:44:38 PM »
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/08/joker-reactions-joaquin-phoenix-reviews-1202170199/

"Incel Origin Story"

(Image removed from quote.)
Can’t get the image tag to work

What is the review? I know it's for Joker, but a website review or just some fan review?
EDIT: Found the pic
https://radical.town/@DissidentKitty/102714277643835977

I saw The Peanut Butter Falcon. I liked it enough. It's straight up a going for a feel good film vibe. I think the first half is really good. Then we get to a point where it becomes a little too happy go lucky, dreamy. My suspension of disbelief sort of crumbles. A friend of mine mentioned he was surprised it was released already. That he views it as Oscar bait. I kinda balked on that. I think Shia and the Down's Syndrome character have great chemistry that has you rooting for them the whole time, but I would be shocked if this gets any Oscar nod.
You want to get your LeBoooooof on? You want a feel good tale? It's worth a watch.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 11:20:00 PM by EchoRin »

Bebpo

« Reply #35089 on: September 01, 2019, 11:48:39 PM »
Watched budget horror flick Swing Low at a film fest. Was the most unfinished feeling film ever seen. It’s about the MC in bandages in a hospital telling an FBI agent her story of how she was kidnapped by torture execution loving hillibillies and how she killed them all and escaped.

The move gets to the climax where she’s trapped with no way out and the villain walks away laughing.

MC is sewn up inside a cow being digested alive by stomach acids
[close]

And then it cuts to the present and the cop is like I don’t believe you and walks out and then the medical officer tells him it’s true and he looks shocked and the credits roll.

So the film doesn’t show how the MC escapes from the impossible escape situation, kills the villain and gets away. My friend is like that’s fine, it leaves it to your imagination.
And I’m like imagination of how they ran out of budget and couldn’t film the ending more like it.

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #35090 on: September 02, 2019, 04:12:10 AM »
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/08/joker-reactions-joaquin-phoenix-reviews-1202170199/

"Incel Origin Story"
given the joker just makes up his origin on a whim, the sequel can be him as an absolute chad and played by the rock. everyone's happy!

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #35091 on: September 02, 2019, 10:31:55 AM »
Watching Abel Ferrara's 'The Addiction' and I fucking love it. It's pretentious in the best way. The sort of pretention that allows you to selfreflect in part and gather something from it. Wrapped in the black and white neo-noir vampire scenario, which is just straight up crack for me. Plus the dialog borders on beautiful at points, although you have to wade through some edgelordy stuff which mirrors the act of writing poetry unfiltered.

There are also some gorgeous cinematic shots along with some great mood. Black and White and blood lust will always be a match made in heaven

While beautiful, my main takeway from it was that philosophy majors suck.

:ohyou
[close]

kingv

« Reply #35092 on: September 02, 2019, 11:52:05 AM »

"Incel Origin Story"
given the joker just makes up his origin on a whim, the sequel can be him as an absolute chad and played by the rock. everyone's happy!

The Joker fucks.

Get out of her with this joker incel business.

There are three jokers, every single one of them fucks like mad.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 11:56:27 AM by kingv »

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #35093 on: September 03, 2019, 12:38:03 PM »

Bebpo

« Reply #35094 on: September 03, 2019, 02:12:20 PM »
Saw XX, was almost as solid horror anthology film until the last antichrist film which is long and boring af. The adaptation of Jack Ketchum's The Box was pretty good, the birthday one was worth a watch if only for the alternate title credits in the end, the camping one was generic but fine, but last one sucked.

The Birthday Party, or, The Memory Lucy Suppressed From Her Seventh Birthday That Wasn't Really Her Mom's Fault (Even Though Her Therapist Says It's Probably Why She Fears Intimacy)

:lol
[close]

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #35095 on: September 03, 2019, 02:15:58 PM »

tl;dr it's going to be like Batman: The Long Halloween.

Tasty

« Reply #35096 on: September 03, 2019, 02:20:50 PM »

tl;dr it's going to be like Batman: The Long Halloween.

Neat.

We're getting a two-part animated adaptation probably the same year. :lol

Bebpo

« Reply #35097 on: September 03, 2019, 04:48:20 PM »
Was supposed to watch The Velocipastor at a movie watching party this weekend but the host is veto-ing it because it “looks stupid, let’s just watch Saw”  :maf  :maf  :maf

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #35098 on: September 03, 2019, 05:03:29 PM »
A lot of pieces of Long Halloween were already in Begins.  Might not feel that fresh.   

Tasty

« Reply #35099 on: September 03, 2019, 06:29:16 PM »
A lot of pieces of Long Halloween were already in Begins.  Might not feel that fresh.   

TDK is more TLH than BB, BB is more Year One. But neither movie really adapts much straight from the comics, I think it could be pretty fresh. It's not like they're rehashing an origin story everyone knows, just some specific tropes and possibly beats from the story.