Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4168481 times)

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #41640 on: March 03, 2023, 05:00:09 PM »
We watched American Beauty last night and it still stands

Is that the one where the 16 year old shows her tits

:pika
:O

Snoopycat_

« Reply #41641 on: March 03, 2023, 05:37:33 PM »
Well yes but that’s where the controversy comes from. We all watched it thinking we were seeing teen tits but in reality they were actually 20 year old tits. It’s a shame they lead us on but I don’t think we should let the tits distract us from the rest of the movie

james

« Reply #41642 on: March 03, 2023, 05:40:34 PM »
Well yes but that’s where the controversy comes from. We all watched it thinking we were seeing teen tits but in reality they were actually 20 year old tits. It’s a shame they lead us on but I don’t think we should let the tits distract us from the rest of the movie

Not exactly.

By November 1998, Thora Birch, Wes Bentley, and Mena Suvari had been cast in the parts—in Birch's case, despite the fact she was 16 years old and was deemed underage for a brief nude scene, which her parents had to approve. Child labor representatives accompanied Birch's parents on set during the filming of the nude scene.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Beauty_(1999_film)#Casting

Snoopycat_

« Reply #41643 on: March 03, 2023, 05:44:12 PM »
Thora? Eww. Gross. I don’t remember seeing her nude scene. Maybe they edited it out or I covered my eyes in horror

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #41644 on: March 03, 2023, 11:54:20 PM »
thora birch was hot in ghost world :trumps
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 03:40:25 PM by team filler »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #41645 on: March 04, 2023, 03:41:13 AM »
Only part of that movie I've ever seen or am interested in seeing.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 05:38:08 AM by Potato »
Spud

Snoopycat_

« Reply #41646 on: March 04, 2023, 05:05:37 AM »
Give it a shot, it might surprise you. Annette Bening steals the movie.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #41647 on: March 04, 2023, 05:38:39 AM »
Probably would surprise me. I'm sure it's great. I'm pretty satisfied with the tiddies though.
Spud

Snoopycat_

« Reply #41648 on: March 04, 2023, 06:25:34 AM »
The Grifters is a great Annette Bening movie. She's proper naughty in it

Coax

« Reply #41649 on: March 10, 2023, 06:24:45 AM »
Wasn't expecting to see a John Waters review quote :p Looks like it might be fun.

https://trailers.apple.com/trailers/independent/smoking-causes-coughing/

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Bebpo

« Reply #41651 on: March 10, 2023, 01:48:07 PM »
Damn, that Dino 65' movie is 29% RT, wonder if this is the lowest RT Adam Driver movie. Dude usually picks good projects. I guess he just said fuck quality, I want to be Turok.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #41652 on: March 10, 2023, 06:12:52 PM »
Probably figured it couldn't turn out any worse than Rise of Skywalker...
Spud

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #41654 on: March 12, 2023, 06:20:35 AM »
Seems people are liking the Dungeons and Dragons movie. Didn't expect that.

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/dungeons-dragons-honor-among-thieves?ref=hp

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #41655 on: March 12, 2023, 06:31:43 AM »
Seems people are liking the Dungeons and Dragons movie. Didn't expect that.

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/dungeons-dragons-honor-among-thieves?ref=hp
That has the most, "wait for streaming" energy I've ever seen.
Spud

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #41656 on: March 13, 2023, 01:06:57 PM »
Brendan Fraser winning the oscar for best actor was great. I don't care about any of the other awards.

james

« Reply #41657 on: March 13, 2023, 01:13:49 PM »
Cant believe the brother from Scrubs won an Oscar what a redemption arc

Straight Edge

• Boots & Braces
« Reply #41658 on: March 13, 2023, 01:19:22 PM »
Tar not winning a single award is some bullshit.
Oi Oi

Polident Hive

« Reply #41659 on: March 13, 2023, 02:47:30 PM »
jamie lee curtis winning is unsetting. actually getting to me. I didn’t know the big yogurt lobby had that pull.

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty

Polident Hive

« Reply #41661 on: March 14, 2023, 01:14:56 AM »

Looking at the categories, everything it could’ve and should’ve won went to EEAAO. These awards are always about the stories, politics, and campaigns. Not the art or craft. Again, jamie lee curtis got an award for it. probably the worst supporting actress win ever.

People trying to make fat face a thing after Brendan Fraser’s win is exceptional. I saw The Whale. He made me believe he could clean out one of those Taco Bell/KFC joint chains. That’s acting.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #41662 on: March 14, 2023, 12:55:12 PM »
Why didn't Leia just email the death star plans to Obi?

Because the Jedi code forbids Attachments.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #41663 on: March 14, 2023, 02:36:46 PM »
jamie lee curtis winning is unsetting. actually getting to me. I didn’t know the big yogurt lobby had that pull.

I'm pretty sure this falls into the "Shit, they've STILL never won ANYTHING? Okay." type of nomination for people who've put in the work for literally decades now, and still haven't picked up an award.

Polident Hive

« Reply #41664 on: March 14, 2023, 06:11:14 PM »

I'm pretty sure this falls into the "Shit, they've STILL never won ANYTHING? Okay." type of nomination for people who've put in the work for literally decades now, and still haven't picked up an award.

Yeah. But it’s doubly crazy as she’s never done anything award worthy, and if there was a legacy award to give, Angela Bassett was right there. She’s owed it for Strange Days robbery.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #41665 on: March 14, 2023, 07:20:48 PM »

Yeah. But it’s doubly crazy as she’s never done anything award worthy, and if there was a legacy award to give, Angela Bassett was right there. She’s owed it for Strange Days robbery.
Angela Basset winning for shit like Wakanda Forever would be as insulting as Denzel Washington winning best actor for fucking Training Day.
Spud

Snoopycat_

« Reply #41666 on: March 14, 2023, 09:19:52 PM »
I've tried to watch that Everywhere movie and I've fallen asleep every time. I get about as far as the tax office and wake up at the end credits.

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #41667 on: March 14, 2023, 09:49:25 PM »

Good! It’s the reason why Avatar didn’t sweep.

Everyone’s been using Tar as a nickname for Avatar so a bunch of voters got confused when they were both on the ballot and picked the wrong one.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #41668 on: March 15, 2023, 09:11:01 AM »

Angela Basset winning for shit like Wakanda Forever would be as insulting as Denzel Washington winning best actor for fucking Training Day.

:confused Thats probably the last time anyone won for some rad shit not some soppy oscar bait snoozefest.
(ice)

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #41669 on: March 15, 2023, 09:28:37 AM »
Training Day was garbage
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #41670 on: March 17, 2023, 01:41:26 AM »
I heard Scream 6 was good, so I finally sat down and watched Scream 4 to start catching up. Forgot this was the last movie Wes Craven directed before he passed RIP.

It was alright, not bad, was entertaining enough but not really bringing anything new to the boring slasher formula until the end when it sorta becomes a comedy? The end stuff was very silly and actually was the most fun part because of it.

I liked Ready or Not, so I'm interested in seeing what those directors bring to the series in 5 & 6 next. Everyone seems to like them.

Snoopycat_

« Reply #41671 on: March 17, 2023, 05:10:12 AM »
London To Brighton. Excellent but grim story about a prostitute and a little girl being chased by mobsters. Won't say much more because it'll ruin it, but if you like gritty gangster films you'll probably enjoy this. The director went on to make a mob revenge story called Bull. Haven't seen it but the trailer looks good

Polident Hive

Bebpo

« Reply #41673 on: March 18, 2023, 01:42:23 AM »
Scream 5 - Ok, that was legit. Started off just ok but looked way better than Scream 4, just better cinematography, set design, costume design, lighting. Looked like a big budget movie. Was solid and had some good bits and meta jokes throughout, and then the final act is greaaat.

The franchise would be perfect is the only movies that existed were the first one and then this one twenty years later.

Polident Hive

« Reply #41674 on: March 18, 2023, 04:54:12 AM »
Had to confirm that’s last year’s movie and not what recently opened. Calling it Scream was clever, as a meta joke in itself, but no less confusing like all the other times media does it.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #41675 on: March 18, 2023, 05:47:14 AM »
Training Day was garbage

I'll let the Training Day soundtrack speak for me.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #41676 on: March 18, 2023, 06:00:20 AM »
Training Day was garbage
I picked it up in 4k the other day. Not sure when I'll get around to it but I remember really liking it back in the day.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #41677 on: March 18, 2023, 10:00:35 PM »
Doing a Top Gun double feature tonight.

Just finished the original which I haven't seen since I was like 10. Was still pretty great. That Tony Scott use of music everywhere, the cinematography, the melodramatic and overdramatic everything, just a lot of fun and very anime.

Will be interesting to see how Maverick is without Tony Scott's style.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #41678 on: March 19, 2023, 08:27:14 AM »
The best part of rewatching Training Day if you hadn't seen it since it came out is going "Oh shit, Terry Crews!" when you see Terry Crews as some thug henchman

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #41679 on: March 19, 2023, 09:00:21 AM »
That and when you realize that Hoyts wife is Russian.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #41680 on: March 19, 2023, 09:55:58 PM »
Cocaine Bear was a solid 6.5/10 movie.

Bebpo

« Reply #41681 on: March 20, 2023, 02:19:47 AM »
So I finished Top Gun Maverick and watching them back to back....the original is far better?

Maverick was fine, but I don't get how it was a huge blockbuster that revived theaters and was up for like oscar nominations. It's just a very by the book action drama. The story is kind of boring being about a bland whatever mission and the love interest that never existed in the previous movie didn't really work. The movie's generally good and the end dogfights were pretty rad action scenes (though the MGS base stealth stuff was really dumb). It's a good solid movie...

...but the original movie's just fun, and goofy, and has way better music, and better characters (c'mon Val Kilmer compared to Miles Teller?). Also I prefer the anime school rivals storyline to the generic military mission storyline. But mostly Tony Scott did a way better job directing it than the new guy who did Maverick. The original Top Gun just oozes style and it makes it so enjoyable. But Maverick just feels pretty plain.

I did like that Maverick has the same opening 5 mins as the original. That was neat. At first I thought I started the wrong movie.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 02:25:18 AM by Bebpo »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #41682 on: March 20, 2023, 04:48:33 AM »
Maverick wasn't good. It was just good compared to the shit that's beyond served up as action movies these days.

Storyline is weak as piss and remotes on way too many "coincidences" and way too much nostalgia.
Spud

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #41683 on: March 20, 2023, 04:50:33 AM »
That's all people want is basic bitch movies not to be beaten over the head with heavy handed bullshit it's that simple. :lol

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #41684 on: March 20, 2023, 05:33:37 AM »
Top Gun wasn't exactly intellectual kino. But at least it made sense in its own homoerotic way.
Spud

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #41685 on: March 21, 2023, 10:26:51 PM »
Antman was good.  If it was a starwars movie, I'd be in the top tier.  The ending was jarring and weird though. 

Snoopycat_

« Reply #41686 on: March 23, 2023, 08:21:23 PM »
Nope. 50 years ago Jaws was released and nobody has managed to top it.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #41687 on: March 25, 2023, 07:19:58 PM »
That's all people want is basic bitch movies not to be beaten over the head with heavy handed bullshit it's that simple. :lol

I'm kind of convinced that one big appeal was that there was zero attempt at subversion or trying to update it too strongly which so many of these nostalgia sequels have done. Tom Cruise didn't have to wrestle with the idea that he's being replaced by a new generation or that his believes are now problematic or whatever, he's still the best there is and ever will be. No passing of the torch needed. So you end up with a movie that doesn't really have much to say but I think people actually really wanted that.

Also the jet sequences are sublime.

Bebpo

« Reply #41688 on: March 26, 2023, 02:10:06 AM »
Babylon is probably the biggest mess of a film in the 2000s. Jfc. I love how insane it is in the first half, but the second half just completely falls flat and it's boring and a total mess. It feels like Chazelle is trying to do this epic Kubrick x Scorsese x PT Anderson x Hideaki Anno thing and it's just batshit all over the place.

He really needed to cut down the cast and storylines and pair it down into a much tighter film to pull it off. Maybe it could've been salvageable with editing, dunno.

Great music, Margot Robbie gave an oscar-level performance, the time period transition it covered was interesting, some great scenes and insane energy here and there, though mostly in the first 90 mins, ending was solid, but fuck what a fucking mess.

I'm a pretty big Chazelle fan and yeah I can't really defend this and didn't enjoy it much. Wish it had lived up to its potential of the movie it's trying to be. What a shame.

Bebpo

« Reply #41689 on: March 26, 2023, 02:46:16 AM »
I guess I'd summarize Babylon as Damon Chazelle doing Boogie Nights with 10x the budget, edited to the tempo of a jazz song, while on a shitton of coke, and at some point the coke ran out.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #41690 on: March 26, 2023, 08:13:49 AM »
I watched Ambulance

It was a legit Michael Bay film

🤴

Snoopycat_

« Reply #41691 on: March 26, 2023, 08:00:37 PM »
Watched Babylon. I thought I was in for something when it started with the elephant scene. I wasn't sure if the dead hooker scene was a cheeky nod to Boogie Nights, or a blatant rip off. It soon became obvious it was in fact a blatant rip off as the director literally copied every PTA trick in the book. He even copies the firecracker scene, except it's with a guy spitting. All that would've been fine if he had made a film that lived up to Boogie Nights but it doesn't come anywhere close to it. It's a one note drag that's so far up it's own arse it manages to make orgies look boring.

Bebpo

« Reply #41692 on: March 26, 2023, 09:18:58 PM »
Knock on the Cabin was ok. Would've been better as a 1 hour Black Mirror episode. The problem is that the story just isn't that satisfying and would be the same even as a 1 hour episode. It's just alright.

Polident Hive

« Reply #41693 on: March 28, 2023, 04:26:32 AM »
Bullshit musing about Avatar 2’s release. It’s out on digital, right. But not high frame rate, 3D, and the wrong aspect ratio. What I’m reading, nobody really knows how the blu-ray will turn out. Guess current bandwidth doesn’t support the full fat version of the movie for the handful of crazy people who can watch movies in UHD HFR HDR 3D ATMOS. Don’t know how or why when games and VR support higher spec on paper? Or it’s a blu ray limitation like how Justice League is split on two disks.

Felt like we hit endgame on home media formats. But these fringe cases exist that hit a wall.

Anyway, don’t care about 3D. The HFR sounds interesting and I’ve never experienced it. It’s this, those Hobbit movies, and the CGI Will Smith thing. How people talk about Avatar 2, it’s 50% Planet Earth without Attenborough. Might as well watch it that way.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #41694 on: March 28, 2023, 02:03:14 PM »
HFR-3D worked far far better with Avatar 2 than it did with The Hobbit, IMO.  I feel like Avatar 2 might be one of those movies that gets repeating short releases on the regular, solely for how visually arresting it is in that format.  No idea how you do that movie any kind of justice outside of the theater, other than maybe higher-end VR headsets; the story itself is just not compelling enough.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #41695 on: March 28, 2023, 03:16:26 PM »
It's surprising that 3D TVs died so hard. After they were pushed again and again you'd think they'd at least keep one line alive.

Polident Hive

« Reply #41696 on: March 28, 2023, 05:08:14 PM »
Most home solutions, I believe, had an IR emitter to sync with active shutter glasses. At least on my set it meant darker picture, noticeable flicker, and glasses to charge before use. All to watch the few movies worthwhile in 3D.

Bebpo

« Reply #41697 on: March 28, 2023, 05:57:39 PM »
Had a stressful day so I had a few drinks at late lunch and meandered to the theater to watch John Wick 4.

First time back to a movie since the pandemic. GJ Keanu!

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #41698 on: March 28, 2023, 07:52:18 PM »
Most home solutions, I believe, had an IR emitter to sync with active shutter glasses. At least on my set it meant darker picture, noticeable flicker, and glasses to charge before use. All to watch the few movies worthwhile in 3D.
I tried the 3D on my old HD Sony set once and the 3D effect on the 3DS was more convincing and didn't require glasses.

That's what struck me with Nintendo though, that they tried 3D with the 3DS, got it working quite well but never bothered to greatly improve the image quality except for the eye tracking they added to the New 3DS/3DS XL models.
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #41699 on: March 28, 2023, 09:35:58 PM »
3D TVs are stupid.

Can't believe how hard Sony went in on 3D with their TVs and PlayStation 3. They are making the same mistakes with VR.

Dumb as shit.

Any time you put a device/glasses in front of my eyes like that or separate me from the others in the room I ain't gonna bother.
Spud