Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4178269 times)

Bebpo

Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #41700 on: March 28, 2023, 10:09:46 PM »
So I think I fell asleep twice while buzzed watching John Wick 4, so maybe my opinions are gonna be off a bit.

But I don't get how this has a 94% RT. It's...fine. But it's legit a 3 hour movie to tell a 1 hour TV episode finale to the story arc. There is zero reason this movie needed to be 3 hours instead of 2 hours. The movie isn't epic or long at all. It's like a few scenes but they go on forever.

Like the Shamier Anderson's character literally has no point in the entire film. It's like they just wanted to fill their "hire a black actor quota" which feels more insulating tbh.

The action scenes feel way less intimate and personal than any of the previous films. I walked out of John Wick 1/2/3 going "that was fun", but this was like "eh, it was ok". Definitely feels like the weakest of the series and the series running out of steam.

Donnie Yen was pretty much the highlight. Also the action scene at the Arc de Triumph where it turns into a Dead or Alive stage and everyone is getting hit by cars while they're fighting each other is pretty awesome. But overall was kind of disappointing given the 94% RT and it being the final chapter of the John Wick cinema story.

Definitely could have picked a better movie to return to cinemas for.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #41701 on: March 28, 2023, 10:49:15 PM »
No film needs to be 3 fucking hours, especially action flicks.

If Rambo, Commando, The Terminator, Top Gun, Indiana Jones, Robocop and Predator can all be under 2 hours (and most around 90 minutes), then fucking John Wick doesn't need to be 3 fucking hours long.

What the fuck are editors doing these days?
Spud

Tuckers Law

« Reply #41702 on: March 28, 2023, 11:37:37 PM »
So I think I fell asleep twice while buzzed watching John Wick 4, so maybe my opinions are gonna be off a bit.

But I don't get how this has a 94% RT. It's...fine. But it's legit a 3 hour movie to tell a 1 hour TV episode finale to the story arc. There is zero reason this movie needed to be 3 hours instead of 2 hours. The movie isn't epic or long at all. It's like a few scenes but they go on forever.

Like the Shamier Anderson's character literally has no point in the entire film. It's like they just wanted to fill their "hire a black actor quota" which feels more insulating tbh.

The action scenes feel way less intimate and personal than any of the previous films. I walked out of John Wick 1/2/3 going "that was fun", but this was like "eh, it was ok". Definitely feels like the weakest of the series and the series running out of steam.

Donnie Yen was pretty much the highlight. Also the action scene at the Arc de Triumph where it turns into a Dead or Alive stage and everyone is getting hit by cars while they're fighting each other is pretty awesome. But overall was kind of disappointing given the 94% RT and it being the final chapter of the John Wick cinema story.

Weirdly, I feel like part 4 is maybe the second best of the series (first is still far and away the best), but I entirely agree about it being too long for what story was there.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #41703 on: March 29, 2023, 01:44:16 AM »

I haven't been able to make it through any of the john wick movies. also couldn't make it through your entire post  :doge

Polident Hive

« Reply #41704 on: March 29, 2023, 01:59:48 AM »
Society shunned a 90 minute Dredd movie and it’s been downhill since.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #41705 on: March 29, 2023, 03:31:36 AM »
The Raid: Redemption also released around that time, and both are amazing.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #41706 on: March 29, 2023, 12:12:39 PM »
Nearly every film being 3 hour long is why I don't watch many anymore. Why don't Hollywood sickos realise that 90 mins to 2 hours max for most films is the way to go. Unless your film is some legend tier all timer movie, any second over 2 hours is wasted time :hmph

A John Wick film should be a tight and lean 100 minutes of rad shit imo, no one really gives a fudge about the plot or character advancement.
(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #41707 on: March 29, 2023, 12:29:49 PM »
The thing with JW4 though is there’s almost no plot or character stuff. It’s just the action scenes are really really lengthy. I just sort of tune out after a while.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #41708 on: March 30, 2023, 12:44:19 PM »
I was getting bored during JW3 Parabellum, the action sequences were just excessively long.

Might give 4 a miss.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #41709 on: March 30, 2023, 01:02:46 PM »
Sooooooooo what you guys are saying is basically that in John Wick 5 should start with him waking up and finding out hes been poisoned and has only an hour to live unless he keeps adrenaline coursing through his body while he searches for an antidote, which he does through a series of stunts, fights and other reckless behaviour?

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #41710 on: March 30, 2023, 01:35:55 PM »
Or just be as long as the first one :trumps
(ice)

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #41711 on: March 30, 2023, 01:39:08 PM »
I just think more action films should be like Crank in terms of getting shit done  :hmph

Tuckers Law

« Reply #41712 on: March 30, 2023, 02:02:24 PM »
Honestly, I think 4 should be the last "John Wick".  However, I wouldn't say no to a fifth movie in the same universe with a different lead (and if they greatly toned down those fucking invincible-suits).

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #41713 on: March 30, 2023, 02:56:30 PM »

I felt the same way about Shamier Anderson's character as I did Donnie Yen, I didn't want to see either of them get killed in the end, they were both likable in different ways

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I like characters that are occasionally friend and foe, but eventually realize which side is right

I liked how his dog was significant to his ultimate decisions (and dog ownership usually means a character is not all bad)
[close]

and the standout scene was absolutely the Dragon's Breath shotgun Hotline Miami sequence, all my friends agreed that we would watch that part again in a heartbeat

Honestly, I think 4 should be the last "John Wick".  However, I wouldn't say no to a fifth movie in the same universe with a different lead (and if they greatly toned down those fucking invincible-suits).

it'll be
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Donnie Yen spinoff due to the unresolved "if you don't kill him, I will" from the Japan subway
[close]
Uncle

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #41714 on: March 30, 2023, 11:22:55 PM »
Just watched Moonfall

11/10

Incredible

Extraordinary

I wish i could wipe my mind and watch it again
:O

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #41715 on: March 31, 2023, 07:01:28 PM »
https://twitter.com/supermariomovie/status/1641847832448466956

The best part about Nintendo nuking Disney from orbit in 4 days is that they will do it with the annoying Seth Rogen laugh ft. Jack Black.  :lol
🤴

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #41716 on: March 31, 2023, 09:58:47 PM »
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1641967712036442113

That's longer than the Irishman  :lol

I don't know how Paramount wants to get this into cinemas

Bebpo

« Reply #41717 on: April 01, 2023, 08:01:24 AM »
Who needs TV series, 8 hour theatrical movies, let's go  :bolo

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #41718 on: April 01, 2023, 08:10:05 AM »
Time for them to screen Satantango.

Polident Hive

« Reply #41719 on: April 01, 2023, 06:24:01 PM »
Creed 3 was alright. Something small scale and rushed about it all. Byproduct was never selling the opponent as a real force like Clubber, Drago, Drago’s son in the last one. Or look to Warrior, how Tom Hardy’s Tommy had a real presence to him, with a similar setup to Dame in this.

Anyway, Adonis’ house is cool in this. I’m not familiar with house design terms, like whatever the hell mid century modern is. But I’m into the aesthetic they were working with.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #41720 on: April 02, 2023, 03:21:35 AM »
Apparently both the DnD and Mario movies are good fun.

:ohhh

I was convinced at least one of them would be awful...
Spud

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #41721 on: April 02, 2023, 09:16:56 AM »
Not sure if this should go in the AI art generation thread or here, but pretty cool 🧵 anyway

https://twitter.com/masonlondon/status/1640345104601829379

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #41722 on: April 02, 2023, 09:44:58 AM »
Apparently both the DnD and Mario movies are good fun.

:ohhh

I was convinced at least one of them would be awful...

:mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario:mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario
https://twitter.com/TimGettys/status/1642368304278032386

:mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario:mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario :mario'

:miyamoto
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #41723 on: April 03, 2023, 05:58:28 PM »
Holy fucking shit, John Wick 4 was insane brehs

🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #41724 on: April 03, 2023, 06:29:45 PM »
I liked John Wick when it wasn't a super hero movie
Spud

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #41725 on: April 03, 2023, 07:07:21 PM »
I forgot this was happening

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1642953289170821126

All hail Rdley

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #41726 on: April 05, 2023, 12:00:24 PM »
Mario sitting at 54% on RT but some of the reviews are also a bit weird

https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/1643328345361502210

From its very first scenes, it’s clear The Super Mario Bros. Movie is made for children.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 12:05:49 PM by HaughtyFrank »

Sman

« Reply #41727 on: April 05, 2023, 02:58:43 PM »
I forgot this was happening

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1642953289170821126

All hail Rdley

wow, Napoleon and his might 6-men army. Brought continental Europe to its knees.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #41728 on: April 05, 2023, 04:00:02 PM »
Mario sitting at 54% on RT but some of the reviews are also a bit weird

https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/1643328345361502210

From its very first scenes, it’s clear The Super Mario Bros. Movie is made for children.

Wait until the penny drops and all these idiots realise the games are also made for children!
Spud

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #41729 on: April 05, 2023, 07:46:37 PM »

wow, Napoleon and his might 6-men army. Brought continental Europe to its knees.

It is a bit sad that movies don't hire an excessive amount of extras anymore. The movie Waterloo had 17.000 Soviet soldiers restage the whole battle.

NekoFever

« Reply #41730 on: April 06, 2023, 05:06:11 AM »
The 1927 Napoleon movie hired thousands of extras and filmed it in a 4:1 aspect ratio that required three projectors to display.

Virgin Ridley Scott vs chad Abel Gance

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #41731 on: April 08, 2023, 08:31:37 PM »
With Mario having a huge start I wonder if Nintendo can replicate their "evergreen" strategy in the movie industry.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #41732 on: April 09, 2023, 12:51:35 AM »
Saw Beavis and Butthead Do the Universe - Was enjoyable enough. No real comment otherwise.

May watch the new TV show someday, but that was probably enough.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #41733 on: April 09, 2023, 01:13:34 AM »
I haven't watch it yet, but it seems like nintendo wanted to go in the complete opposite direction of what happened with the 90's mario movie. I think 90s live action mario was supposed to be geared towards adults or at least teenagers maybe, but ended up not appealing to anyone.

the new movie is meant for younger children it seems.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #41734 on: April 09, 2023, 04:43:26 AM »
I haven't watch it yet, but it seems like nintendo wanted to go in the complete opposite direction of what happened with the 90's mario movie. I think 90s live action mario was supposed to be geared towards adults or at least teenagers maybe, but ended up not appealing to anyone.

the new movie is meant for younger children it seems.
I'll take my kids as they're excited as hell about it. I'm sure they'll enjoy it. I'm clearly not the intended age group and I'm fine with that.
Spud

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #41735 on: April 09, 2023, 09:19:18 PM »
Mario was so bad.  Like there was no plot and half the dialog is them going 'we got to do x'.  Both the first Sonic and Detective Pikachu were solid movies and it is shocking that Nintendo decided to go with a script with such a low quality given those recent examples of how to do a kid's movie based on a video game franchise. 

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #41736 on: April 10, 2023, 04:24:49 AM »
Operation Fortune: Ruse de Guerre is the second Guy Ritchie straight to streaming on Prime movie I've seen now, and although I think Wrath Of Man was better, its a pretty good popcorn flick with a "seriously? that's the name you're going with?" title.

Its basically Mission Impossible, if the IMF team were working for British secret services, and if the team lead (the outrageously named Orson Fortune) was also kind of shit at the bits of his job that aren't just beating the shit out of dudes so his team have a bit more to do.
Hugh Grant hams it up, but also seems to be recycling his The Gentlemen character, Jason Statham plays it a little more straight but is also recycling a whole fucking bunch of his career, Aubrey Plaza is pretty good as a femme fatale hacker, and Cary Elwes is a pretty good Basil Exposition.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #41737 on: April 10, 2023, 09:47:07 AM »
I think there is a Hollywood cabal that comes around and breaks your legs if you don't give your straight-to-video movie a straight-to-video title. 

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #41738 on: April 10, 2023, 11:08:06 AM »
Operation Fortune: Ruse de Guerre is the second Guy Ritchie straight to streaming on Prime movie I've seen now, and although I think Wrath Of Man was better, its a pretty good popcorn flick with a "seriously? that's the name you're going with?" title.

Its basically Mission Impossible, if the IMF team were working for British secret services, and if the team lead (the outrageously named Orson Fortune) was also kind of shit at the bits of his job that aren't just beating the shit out of dudes so his team have a bit more to do.
Hugh Grant hams it up, but also seems to be recycling his The Gentlemen character, Jason Statham plays it a little more straight but is also recycling a whole fucking bunch of his career, Aubrey Plaza is pretty good as a femme fatale hacker, and Cary Elwes is a pretty good Basil Exposition.

What surprised me is that the movie leans relatively little into the Josh Hartnett character. I almost expected this to be similar to the recent Nicolas Cage movie where he plays himself, and some of those plot elements are super similar, but overall it's more like the B-plot of the movie and there are whole stretches where he's not even present. Doesn't make the movie worse, but it messed a little with my expectations having seen the trailer.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 11:15:18 AM by HaughtyFrank »

Polident Hive

« Reply #41739 on: April 11, 2023, 12:54:02 AM »
People always talk about classic films you never saw. Big one for me was Armageddon. Is it a classic in the same regard as Vertigo? Depends who you ask. But hey it’s a stupid time. Gotta say, people go over the top talking about old movies not aging well for being misogynistic. This one? Yeah. It’s a little much. No matter how minor a role, a woman showing up on screen is either called hot or a nag or both. I was wondering about why the romance plot felt randomly stitched in. Sounds like it was. They wanted the Titanic audience and filmed extra scenes.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #41740 on: April 11, 2023, 09:52:15 AM »
People always talk about classic films you never saw. Big one for me was Armageddon. Is it a classic in the same regard as Vertigo? Depends who you ask. But hey it’s a stupid time. Gotta say, people go over the top talking about old movies not aging well for being misogynistic. This one? Yeah. It’s a little much. No matter how minor a role, a woman showing up on screen is either called hot or a nag or both. I was wondering about why the romance plot felt randomly stitched in. Sounds like it was. They wanted the Titanic audience and filmed extra scenes.

That's for putting that song in my head for the rest of the day.

Beezy

« Reply #41741 on: April 11, 2023, 02:13:06 PM »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #41742 on: April 11, 2023, 05:11:54 PM »
I didn't hate Ms Marvel (Captain Marvel was shit though). This looks ok. Hopefully the personality vacuum that is Brie Larson doesn't suck all the fun out of it.

I'm sure my daughter will like it for the girl power thing.
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #41743 on: April 11, 2023, 07:00:14 PM »
At least it's something different.

Another Thor :zzz
Another Ant-Man  :zzz
Another GoTG :zzz

I'll at least watch this one. Ms. Marvel TV was a bad show with a good lead, so hoping her and the other two carry this. Negaband switching can be fun.
It's a shame they delayed it from summer. Looks like a fun summer movie.

james

« Reply #41744 on: April 11, 2023, 07:19:23 PM »
I didnt know Marvel movies were going straight to the Disney Channel now

Polident Hive

« Reply #41745 on: April 11, 2023, 09:43:18 PM »
These $300 million movies looking like episodes of CW Flash is convincing me there’s a massive money laundering scheme going on.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #41746 on: April 12, 2023, 12:40:09 AM »
For a big proportion of fans, that's exactly what they are these days. Why go to the cinema and pay a fortune when I can watch at home and not care if I'm left disappointed?
Spud

james

« Reply #41747 on: April 12, 2023, 01:01:51 AM »
For a big proportion of fans, that's exactly what they are these days. Why go to the cinema and pay a fortune when I can watch at home and not care if I'm left disappointed?

Ive been exclusively watching Marvel movies on airplanes for 10 years now!

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #41748 on: April 15, 2023, 11:28:23 PM »
Shazam was good and a worthy sequel. 

Snoopycat_

« Reply #41749 on: April 16, 2023, 07:44:40 PM »
Last night in Soho was pretty good. I didn't know anything about it but watched some reviews after and they mentioned the director asking people not to spoil it. So if you like 70s horrors, you'll probably enjoy this.

Bebpo

« Reply #41750 on: April 16, 2023, 11:34:28 PM »
Last night in Soho was pretty good. I didn't know anything about it but watched some reviews after and they mentioned the director asking people not to spoil it. So if you like 70s horrors, you'll probably enjoy this.

I liked it a lot until the end. Just thought the finale was too silly/dumb.

Snoopycat_

« Reply #41751 on: April 18, 2023, 07:19:18 PM »
I thought it was pretty entertaining. The switch was nice. I didn't like Baby Driver so I wasn't expecting too much but not knowing anything about it probably made it a much better film.

Anyway Bull. A Brit revenge movie. Well worth watching if you like gritty gangster flicks. There's some nasty scenes in it but it's riveting stuff. Neil Maskell is a genuinely scary man.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #41752 on: April 19, 2023, 12:36:19 AM »
The D&D movie was just excellent.  The biggest problem it has is that it bombed and so there won't be a sequel -- though even that is a minor complaint since the story is fully self-contained.  The humour won't work for everyone, though I found it funny.   The plot is tight, the fights are spectacular, and there are some real creative moments.  The characters could have been more fleshed out, but it had to do a lot in the time it had. 

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #41753 on: April 19, 2023, 02:09:21 AM »
The D&D movie hit at least two years too late to capitalise on all the Stranger Things and Critical Role nostalgia/hype.

I'll watch it when it comes to streaming because I rarely watch movies in the cinema any more since the film industry conditioned me to be that way by not releasing any films in the cinema until  :cruise  saved Hollywood.
Spud

Snoopycat_

« Reply #41754 on: April 20, 2023, 07:50:59 AM »
Evil Dead 2 4k is on Amazon Prime movies for 3 quid today. Bargain

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #41755 on: April 20, 2023, 09:17:39 AM »

Evil Dead Rise getting great reviews. Can't wait to see it this weekend. :rejoice
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #41756 on: April 20, 2023, 02:06:05 PM »
Does it have comedy? 

Snoopycat_

« Reply #41757 on: April 20, 2023, 07:41:24 PM »
A lot of reviews say it has a few one liners. I didn't bother with the last one because everyone went on about the gore. I'm not a fan of relentless gore in horror but I think I'll watch Rise.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #41758 on: April 20, 2023, 11:09:59 PM »
Does it have comedy? 

Watched it this evening. It has some darkly funny moments, but it’s not a comedy. It’s more like ED1 and 2013 in that regard than ED2, AoD, or the tv series. Most of the humor just comes from the Deadites being unhinged and the occasional ridiculous fountains of blood (plus, you know they can’t resist throwing in at least a few Bruce Campbell callbacks). It’s was a solid movie, it’s not gonna make anyone forget the originals, but I liked it more than 2013. It was a worthy edition to the franchise IMO.
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #41759 on: April 20, 2023, 11:39:39 PM »
Does it have comedy? 

Watched it this evening. It has some darkly funny moments, but it’s not a comedy. It’s more like ED1 and 2013 in that regard than ED2, AoD, or the tv series. Most of the humor just comes from the Deadites being unhinged and the occasional ridiculous fountains of blood (plus, you know they can’t resist throwing in at least a few Bruce Campbell callbacks). It’s was a solid movie, it’s not gonna make anyone forget the originals, but I liked it more than 2013. It was a worthy edition to the franchise IMO.

Yeah, that's what the trailer made it seem.

I basically feel like Evil Dead is just splitting into two franchises at this point. Serious ones and goofy ones. If it wasn't for Ash v ED, I'd have said the series has moved entirely into serious after 2013 and Rise, but AvED's existence makes it seem like maybe there will be room for both.

Would definitely like a comedy movie though.