Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4169348 times)

Polident Hive

Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #41940 on: January 29, 2024, 10:38:20 AM »
Saw it last year after a series of coincidences kept putting its name out there. First was some video comparing it with wages of fear, mainly the endings. Some days later I was looking into all the movies scored by Tangerine Dream. Then I watched a video of Christopher Nolan telling Cillan Murphy to watch it as they browsed a French video shop. And then, obviously, there was Friedkin passing on.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #41941 on: January 29, 2024, 10:55:28 AM »
Finally saw Barbie on HBO.

Good movie, but not incredible. Felt a too long at the end. Well I guess for a shameless toy brand movie its very good. Makes you think.

The Kens singing the Matchbox 20 song killed me
:O

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #41942 on: January 30, 2024, 10:04:07 PM »

This blew me away, and I'm surprised how little I knew about it before recently. It's like a perfect dude movie in the way Heat or Goodfellas is, but a different genre obviously. It just looks amazing, and expensive. One of the best directed adventure films I've ever seen.
Incredible movie. The bridge scene gets you on the edge of your seat.

Bebpo

« Reply #41943 on: February 04, 2024, 03:06:30 PM »

Buchanan Rides Alone

Watched another movie in the 5 film Budd Boetticher set. This is the third film him and Randolph Scott did. I liked the first two, The Tall T and Decision at Sundown.

This was another good one. There's something about these movies that hold up real well all these years later. The good cinematography, Randolph Scott's charismatic performances, and the stories being way ahead of their time in moral greyness instead of just good guys/bad guys.

My favorite bit on this film, which I think encompasses what I liked about these flicks is towards the end when there's a battle on a bridge with a group on either side and a lackey's in the middle trying to decide which side to go to as both of them say they'll shoot him if he goes to the other side. The lack of clear choices for characters and unpredictability really holds up well.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #41944 on: February 05, 2024, 01:36:22 AM »

Looks neat.
Probably no hiking for a month for me afterwards.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #41945 on: February 05, 2024, 02:48:33 PM »
In a similar vein:
©@©™

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #41946 on: February 11, 2024, 08:31:13 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41947 on: February 12, 2024, 01:45:44 PM »
Tortured myself and watched The Marvels yesterday.

-A lot of the CG was pretty bad, especially when used as sets. 
-Brie Larson actually had a personality this time, but it seemed out of character after how Captain Marvel was portrayed in other movies.
-Samuel L. Jackson was the same way as Nick Fury.  Just kind of goofy instead of being more serious.  Although he was like that in Captain Marvel too.
-The Ms. Marvel actress did a great job and I liked the stuff with her and her family. 
-Monica Rambeau was OK I guess. 
-The story was dumb and the main villain got killed off before she could really do anything.  It was almost comical.
-Lots of LASER BLASTING with bad CG effects.  Pew pew!
-The best part of the movie is still the mid-credits scene with Monica in another universe and the X-Men cameo. 

Pretty much a forgettable film.  Not as bad as Eternals, but not great either.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41948 on: February 12, 2024, 02:05:13 PM »

More TVA! :rejoice 

I wonder if this movie is going to be what "fixes" things and leads to the X-Men characters joining the MCU?  :thinking
ど助平

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #41949 on: February 13, 2024, 04:14:41 AM »
Tortured myself and watched The Marvels yesterday.

I saw an ad spot for it this week letting people know its NOW STREAMING ON DISNEYPLUS! and I think I can see where they went wrong with it, because its all
"THEY'RE JUST LIKE US! EXCEPT WHEN THEY'RE NOT!"
#girlboss #relatable #girlsgetitdone
and pretty famously women didn't go and watch it at all - they all went and watched shirtless Jason Momoa emerging from the ocean in slow motion instead, to the internets surprise.

[I wonder if this movie is going to be what "fixes" things and leads to the X-Men characters joining the MCU?  :thinking

It looks like a smashed 20th century fox physical logo in the limbo type area, so they're ramping up the fourth wall breaking to 11, which hopefully doesn't go too over the top in just being reference humour.
Like, GOTG3 could have easily been terrible and just all lol so random wacky goofiness (like the christmas special veered dangerously close to).

It'd be pretty fucking weird to have one of the biggest impacts to the MCU yet happen in a deadpool sequel though.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #41950 on: February 14, 2024, 09:22:48 AM »

Really good so far, and a reminder of how little genre stuff is on TV these days. This is straight up noir/detective shit, all the tropes are on parade and it works. Even without an American setting. Clive Owen is great, as is the whole cast. Doesn't sound like it's been particularly popular for AMC but I fuck with it a lot.

It also reminds me of how much better a weekly episode release schedule is, than the typical streaming setup where you get all the eps. The anticipation of each new episode is a big part of the appeal for me. Especially for a show with so many moving pieces, side stories, fuckery, etc. I felt the same way about Severance a couple years ago on Apple, which also had the weekly episode drop.

Polident Hive

« Reply #41951 on: February 14, 2024, 10:29:36 AM »
Have that on a list to check out. Not only as a fan of Maltese Falcon, but it's got Scott Frank behind it. He's been behind Queen's Gambit and Godless. As well as writing adaptations for some Elmore Leonard books way back.

I'm sure most people have seen Queen's Gambit and I wish Netflix was better about using its popularity to re-promote Godless. Maybe that's why he went to AMC for this show.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #41952 on: February 28, 2024, 09:42:52 PM »
Monsieur Spade ended last week and I must say it's one of my favorite recent shows/miniseries. The setting, music, tone, noir tropes...everything is just right. Ensemble cast of supporting and minor characters who interact so well together. And it all comes together in such a great location in the south of France. The town comes alive on screen, truly. I can't say enough good things about this.

Polident Hive

« Reply #41953 on: February 28, 2024, 10:35:57 PM »
Shogun’s first two episodes are out. It’s good.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #41954 on: March 03, 2024, 07:08:55 AM »
jESUS CHRIST

Dune 2 was so good

As it was written
What

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #41955 on: March 04, 2024, 10:11:53 PM »
Dune 2 was great. Lot of changes from the book, and most of them made sense given the different medium. I did feel the pacing was off and I wonder whether casual movie goers struggled with some of the stuff.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #41956 on: March 15, 2024, 05:18:27 AM »
Dune 2 was great. Lot of changes from the book, and most of them made sense given the different medium. I did feel the pacing was off and I wonder whether casual movie goers struggled with some of the stuff.

Seems like its been pretty successful at the box office, more so than a lot of 'this will definitely be a big hit' titles over the last year have been.

I think in general audiences are smarter and willing to engage than most execs give them credit for, and the general downwards trend in movie quality isn't because film makers don't want to do anything more than live action saturday morning cartoons, and audiences don't want to see anything more intellectually rewarding.

Bebpo

« Reply #41957 on: March 25, 2024, 02:44:16 AM »
Scream VI - I thought this was best when it wasn't a Scream movie and the violence was brutal. When it was just a Scream movie, it was alright but back to being played out. Scream V was a great refresh on the series, and this wasn't that.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #41958 on: April 08, 2024, 05:18:30 PM »

Dunno what I watched but uh....Isabella Rossellini is so hot.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #41959 on: April 10, 2024, 01:44:39 AM »

Coax

« Reply #41960 on: April 10, 2024, 04:23:59 AM »
Apple Trailers is slipping  :-\ Used to be studios would update same-day as Youtube, for that sweet high bitrate, minimal deblocking encode and without any intro mini-trailer.

Sman

« Reply #41961 on: April 14, 2024, 04:20:42 AM »
A few days ago I watched a movie from 1980 that I had never heard of before: Harlequin

Basically, I fell in a internet rabbit hole, starting with a search on actor Robert Powell (the guy who played Jesus in that big mini series from 1977) which led me to the other movie that apparently deeply divided audiences (then and now). It turns out it was available on Youtube, it was free and it was short (about 90 minutes). Curious, I started watching it:

In a nutshell, he plays a mysterious character who moves in a US senator's home. He performs magic tricks, heals the sick son and catches the eye of the senator's wife. Who or what is he? Con artist? Jesus? Psycho? The senator has powerful and shadowy backers who find him to be a trouble maker and will stop at nothing to get rid of him.

My verdict? It looks and sounds dated, but it's ok otherwise.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #41962 on: April 18, 2024, 02:08:53 AM »
Apple Trailers is slipping  :-\ Used to be studios would update same-day as Youtube, for that sweet high bitrate, minimal deblocking encode and without any intro mini-trailer.

They deprecated the Trailers.app as well as Movies.app and TVshows.app -- everything through TV.app now, and I can't find shit.

THANKS, TIM APPLE!

Polident Hive

« Reply #41963 on: April 18, 2024, 03:21:56 PM »
Some sites upload high bit rate trailers. On mega upload type sites and the raw files. That Joker 2 trailer is 3 to 4 GB. On occasion some are uploaded Vimeo. Decent compromise. It’s a shame Apple’s got ruined.