Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4141169 times)

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
Re: The new and improved "Movies you've seen recently" thread
« Reply #32880 on: January 04, 2019, 11:41:59 PM »
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

I've been wanting to see that forever. Roger Ebert wrote a review for it that made it sound awesome and its been on my To Watch list for like 25 years now.

(checks the internets)

FFS, it still hasn't ever gotten a physical American release. The hell?

Of course, that's one of the happy occurrences of our more connected world as it is, I didn't have to wait multiple years or even decades to see Hirokazu Kore-eda's latest slice of gentle and humane family drama Shoplifters. For some reason this film of his particular is garnering more notice than his other usually great output. I saw this just an hour ago in a well attended theater on what is now its third week of release. Its got a Golden Globe nomination and shortlisted for an Oscar nom, its also made pretty good dinero for what kind of film it is. I mention this because to me it wasn't a film I liked anymore than his other recent family dramas. Its good, even really good, but isn't at all revelatory.

And its such a minor complaint for what is a damn good film, but if you've seen Still Walking, Nobody Knows, After the Storm, Our Little Sister, well shit, you've seen how this dude conjures a fragile alchemy to make consistently great, near plotless domestic dramas about families relying on each other through thick or thin (very thin in this case of an itinerant clan of minor-league grifters). I'm glad the dude is getting some long overdue props, and its an easy recommendation for anybody who wants to see a thoughtful, well performed film that is a richly emotional experience that never once veers into unearned sentiment. By now, Koreeda is making this look easy, even though I know that it can't be.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #32881 on: January 05, 2019, 01:17:10 AM »
Paperhouse is available on iTunes and Youtube to rent. Check it out.

Watched Escape Room tonight and it... wasn't bad for what it was. If you like cheapie cranked-out horror and don't mind some stupidity and silliness, it's engaging and has a few tense scenes. It's a kinda generic mix of The Game and Saw, but it's a fun formula. Maybe catch it streaming or in a cheap theater. Nobody is going to rave about it, but you won't be bored.
serge

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #32882 on: January 05, 2019, 01:13:21 PM »
Now you should watch beloved Canadian 80’s dark fantasy movie, The Peanut Butter Solution, with hit singles by Celine Dion.
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32883 on: January 05, 2019, 06:14:11 PM »
First Man
Great movie, I liked it a lot. The cinematography(TM) was on point. It seems to be very accessible as far as space flight movies go.
I think they showed just enough preparation for the main event and political background without making the movie too bloated. They kept their focus well.

With that said the writers took some liberties with the source material to add in some more 'drama'.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Especially regarding Neil's daughter Karen who died because of a brain tumor at a young age
[close]
It ties the story together neatly but feels a bit forced at times.
🤴

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #32884 on: January 05, 2019, 06:16:25 PM »
Watching Five Easy Pieces. This portrait of a bitter yet gifted person is fantastic.

Goddamn
God
Damn

Why should he ask for it? The weight in that question is insane.

Edit

The ending of this film. Wow.

The two women hes interested in are obviously representations of his base humanity and his higher level skills. How he interacts with them says it all. Yet he's a coward.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 07:39:07 PM by BlueTsunami »
:9

TVC15

« Reply #32885 on: January 05, 2019, 11:36:37 PM »
Roma broke me :( So great. It took a while to get going, but the last hour is amazing cinema.
serge

Bebpo

« Reply #32886 on: January 06, 2019, 01:21:16 AM »
Aquaman was the most fun I've had watching any DC comics film so far. It's not greaaaat, and at times it's good because it's so bad it's good, but it's pretty good overall and time flew by. Loved the chunk of it that's essentially an Uncharted movie, loved the giant 2.5 hour multi-kingdom world-traveling scope of it all, loved the 80s meets 60s sci-fi ridiculousness of dolphin laser armies (the kiss scene was amazing), loved Black Manta's big fight scene, loved the HP Lovecraft fish people horror bit and the Gears of War stuff, loved the colorful art direction.

The only real negatives I have is that it's a pretty inconsistent movie. At times it's channeling 80s flicks (Dolph Lundgrin), at times it feels like a 90s cheezy film like The Mummy, it doesn't seem to know what it wants to be besides big dumb action film throwback. The music is a good evidence of it. Sometimes you get random Synth music, which would be fine if the entire film was an 80s throwback with full synth soundtrack, but it's not and the rest of the soundtrack is totally modern and then just random synth bits outta nowhere and they don't fit.

Basically is kinda a messy movie with a big scope that pulls enough off that it's fun throughout and ends up working. Looking forward to the sequel, but I hope Wan doesn't do it just because I'd like to see him keep moving around trying different stuff than get bogged down just making Aquaman sequels.

I also approve of this new direction of DC films where it's not dark and emo and is fun and dumb and more comic book-ish. Hopefully this is just the start and Shazam ends up good too.

kingv

« Reply #32887 on: January 06, 2019, 02:01:16 AM »
I really disagree about Aquaman.

I thought the beginning was fully terrible and the origin was just really unnecessary and didn’t translate well to screen.

I did like how it tried to sort of stick to comic books and didn’t copy the MCU way of toning down all of the comic book elements to make them more “real world”, but I also feel like they messed up the tone of the movie by making Aquaman kind of a dipshit. Imo, they course corrected too hard after BVS and were like “we need to have lots of quips” but then Aquaman kind of ruins the more serious moments. Like when he is crowned king, he says something like “this is going to be awesome!” Or something like that.

It just seemed like really out of character and made him see kind of douchey.

Tasty

« Reply #32888 on: January 06, 2019, 01:27:00 PM »
Jingle All the Way: 3 / 5
Upgrade: 4 / 5
Bird Box: 2 / 5
Halloween (2018): 4 / 5

Tasty

« Reply #32889 on: January 06, 2019, 01:39:45 PM »
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald: 3 / 5
Bohemian Rhapsody: 3 / 5
Pokémon the Movie: The Power of Us: 4 / 5

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #32890 on: January 06, 2019, 05:34:11 PM »
Watching Jeremiah Johnson and I absolutely love it. I also had no idea its the source of the epic Robert Redford GIF lmao

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #32891 on: January 06, 2019, 08:31:33 PM »
I accidentally deleted what I wrote when I was copying the stars. I can't remember what it said. Can you revert that shit with your mod powers?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 01:44:58 PM by Transhuman »

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #32892 on: January 08, 2019, 03:14:43 AM »
It kind of amazing to me that Bruce is having a bit of a comeback as of late when considering about the only things he's made for the last five years are a bunch of largely shitty films wherein he has low-effort extended cameos in. Shouldn't that have damaged his brand enough to keep him out of Death Wish?

Extraction is my pick for the 'best' of those. Bruce clearly doesn't care to be there, but there's at least broadly competent action scenes and a smattering of good fights in it.

From my backlog I do have to file a report on the quite Death Wish-y Peppermint, which was easily the best R-rated action movie to get a wide theatrical release last year, but the competition wasn't exactly super high (Widows is more of a thriller, Mandy closest to a horror film). Still though, Peppermint holds it's own rather well. It's like an 80's Cannon films script that got somehow got made in 2018, and with that comes a cavalier attitude towards violence as entertainment alongside a healthy dose of ethnic stereotyping. But it's all so cartoonish that I never found it too objectionable (it doesn't hurt that its lead viillian is a spot-on Freddie Mercury look alike). Jennifer Garner clearly brought her A-game to this B-material,and it helps a lot, and as a headshot-delivery device it's more than proficient. So if you've ever wondered 'What if The Punisher was a soccer Mom.' This film will provide a more than satisfactory answer.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #32893 on: January 08, 2019, 01:04:19 PM »
Darjeeling Limited is the best Wes movie.
每天生气

TVC15

« Reply #32894 on: January 08, 2019, 10:31:13 PM »
Peter O'Toole is most beautiful in Caligula.
serge

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #32895 on: January 08, 2019, 11:04:42 PM »
can't actually think of a better cast for Paul Atreides than Timothee Chalamet. Now, Dave Bautista needa be Feyd Rautha and we get to see them fight :lol :drool
◕‿◕

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32896 on: January 08, 2019, 11:38:37 PM »
Bautista's a better fit for Gurney Halleck, though.

Edit: Apparently he's playing Beast Rabban.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 11:47:51 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #32897 on: January 09, 2019, 06:32:37 AM »
bird bocks should have been made part of the cloverfield cinematic universe

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #32898 on: January 09, 2019, 04:45:35 PM »
Someone give me a good movie or two to watch when I get home.

UTU: Redux

◕‿◕

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #32899 on: January 09, 2019, 09:44:23 PM »
Watched last year's Shane Black rent-check-clearing THE PREDATOR.

Jesus H Christ on a Popsicle stick, this was utterly horrible. Worse than horrible, because it starts out with some promise and then they start making it dumber by the minute. Every time it seems like it can't get more dumb, a new element is introduced or a previous plot point disregarded. Then the epilogue scene comes in and I realized there was only the blessed release of the credits scrolling by. It was over.

How can a movie where Olivia Munn takes off her clothes make me so sad?

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #32900 on: January 11, 2019, 03:42:43 AM »
Roma is just spicy Mary Poppins

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32901 on: January 11, 2019, 02:48:03 PM »
I remember that getting a US theatrical release not long after Hero came out, and another movie called Curse of the Golden Flower [all 3 Zhang Yimou joints]. The other two were still alright, but Hero was easily the best.
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #32902 on: January 11, 2019, 02:50:11 PM »
Harvey Weinstein was going to edit Hero for a US release, like he did with so many other HK movies, but people complained enough that he didn't. Later it was revealed that he was a sex pest.
©@©™

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #32903 on: January 11, 2019, 03:22:00 PM »
I'm pretty sure it was Quentin Tarantino who let him slap his name on the marketing (QT 'Presents') in exchange for not cutting it.

But yeah, there was scads of high dollar Wuxias being made in Crouching Tiger's successful wake. The Promise being the gaudiest/most hilarious of them.

Damn, that film invented new ways to suck.

The Dirty Dozen (pretty good) and The Wild Bunch (flipping classic) are on American Netflix presently. Both are well worth your time, The Wild Bunch particular. Something I like about both films is just how unapologetically shitty everyone is in em'. At the time (late 60's) perhaps this were more clear-cut heroic types, but for now it plays to me as bad men killing mostly worse men. Kind of surprising neither of these pretty good Men on a Mission formulas have been remade yet, but the terse, coarse artistry of The Wild Bunch is gonna be really hard to outdo.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32904 on: January 11, 2019, 03:29:13 PM »
I'm pretty sure it was Quentin Tarantino who let him slap his name on the marketing (QT 'Presents') in exchange for not cutting it.

The Chinese government was pushing hard for it, too. Disney ended up giving Miramax some marketing money in exchange for releasing it uncut.
dog

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #32905 on: January 11, 2019, 03:41:38 PM »

The Chinese government was pushing hard for it, too. Disney ended up giving Miramax some marketing money in exchange for releasing it uncut.
oh shit, ya don't say? Wow.

To further illustrate how great a businessman ole' Harvey was, he purposely limited the release of Snowpiercer because he couldn't get its director to agree to a 20 minute reduced cut of it. This burned bridges with not only Bong Joon Ho, but also South Korea's largest film studio, which was looking to internationally expand. I dunno, maybe Snowpiercer would have never worked as a mass-market release, but tanking your own project all for the sake of pride seems pretty damn shitty.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32906 on: January 12, 2019, 06:30:31 PM »
Woody Harrelson was a better Han Solo than the kid that actually played Han Solo.
dog

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #32907 on: January 12, 2019, 07:09:37 PM »
dong lover :doge

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #32908 on: January 12, 2019, 07:33:21 PM »
Long Don Glover

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #32909 on: January 12, 2019, 07:50:34 PM »
I can't hate on dong lovers

movie was like a fan film with $100+ mil budget.

Bebpo

« Reply #32910 on: January 13, 2019, 03:12:07 AM »
Roma looked nice and was fine little story, but man was that slooooooooooooow and I didn’t care for the jrpg almost non-emotional/silent protagonist. I found the background slice of life of the time & place bits and the family’s story way more compelling than the lead. The singing gremlin at the fire was probably my favorite bit.

Don’t really get the hoopla about so many people putting it high on their top10 for 2018, but I’m pretty out of touch with art critics these days.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #32911 on: January 13, 2019, 03:17:03 AM »
Solo: A Magnum Dong Story

Bebpo

« Reply #32912 on: January 13, 2019, 04:00:55 AM »
After reading up on the historical background of the events in Mexico City at the time of Roma, I’m getting a lot more out of the film and like it more. I still think it’s reaaaally slow, but I’d probably enjoy it more on a second viewing.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Tasty

kingv

Re: The Movie News/Reviews Thread
« Reply #32915 on: January 14, 2019, 07:58:21 PM »
Finally saw Spiderverse.

Probably the best Spider-Man movie, honestly.

And Sony ret-conned One More Day,

Rahxephon91

« Reply #32916 on: January 14, 2019, 08:44:06 PM »
Don't know how you can top Fallout. Wish them luck.

Tasty

« Reply #32917 on: January 15, 2019, 09:21:54 AM »

Looks neat.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #32918 on: January 15, 2019, 09:47:57 AM »
So glad I'm done with marvel after avengers

Tasty

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #32920 on: January 15, 2019, 09:49:50 AM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #32921 on: January 15, 2019, 09:51:29 AM »
Woody Harrelson was a better Han Solo than the kid that actually played Han Solo.

Holy shit, truest thing yet wrotted about SOLO.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #32922 on: January 15, 2019, 10:52:42 AM »
Eastern Promises (2007) - Dir David Cronenberg

I don't want to give anything away because there's a really big spoiler, but if you were ever curious what Aragon's penis looks like, this movie has that
☆☆☆☆

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #32923 on: January 15, 2019, 12:58:30 PM »
 Tom Holland might be the most charismatic young movie star I've seen in the past 15 years. Seriously, name anyone under 30 that actually has charisma that leaps off the screen.

Micheal B Jordan and Margot Robbie is about it.

ToxicAdam

« Reply #32924 on: January 15, 2019, 01:45:20 PM »
Mysterio's gimmick was to make himself look like a good guy while stealing shit and framing someone else for doing it.

Tasty

« Reply #32925 on: January 15, 2019, 01:50:39 PM »
Yeah I'm 100% sure he's the real villain of the movie.

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #32926 on: January 15, 2019, 02:04:48 PM »
I missed Sam Jackson as Nick Fury.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #32927 on: January 15, 2019, 02:41:28 PM »
Isn't Spider-Man dead? :thinking
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #32928 on: January 15, 2019, 03:37:31 PM »
The Manchurian Candidate (1962)

I'd like to see footage of Frank Sinatra and Angela Lansbury fucking

fixed
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #32929 on: January 15, 2019, 03:55:25 PM »
Hope the new spider-man's good. Mysterio's one of my favorite Spider-man villains and Jake's one of my favorite actors so they better not fuck that combo up. I'm kinda iffy if they actually give Mysterio powers. I liked that he was just a master magician pulling off shit with illusions.

Tasty

« Reply #32930 on: January 15, 2019, 04:12:39 PM »
I missed Sam Jackson as Nick Fury.

I agree, it's been so long since we've seen him as Nick Fury.

:mike

:dead

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #32931 on: January 15, 2019, 04:21:24 PM »
Only in Gaslight, where she's a cockney teenager.
©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #32932 on: January 15, 2019, 05:08:07 PM »
:donot :donot :donot :donot :donot :donot

Was Angela Lansbury ever not an old lady? She was 36 in this and looks to be at least 58, sometimes 72 in some scenes.

She's that' era's maggie gyllenhaal.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32933 on: January 15, 2019, 07:40:55 PM »
:donot :donot :donot :donot :donot :donot

Was Angela Lansbury ever not an old lady? She was 36 in this and looks to be at least 58, sometimes 72 in some scenes.

She's that' era's maggie gyllenhaal.

Except actually a good actress.
dog

ToxicAdam

« Reply #32934 on: January 16, 2019, 05:34:12 PM »
I was blown away to find out Angela Lansbury was a torch singer/broadway star back in the day. I was listening to some random classic Christmas tunes a month ago and one was by her.

Leadbelly

« Reply #32935 on: January 16, 2019, 09:48:58 PM »
watch Lexx

I prefer the original actress that plays Zev/Xev. I was watching it and at some point the actress changes. I think twice actually. The first actress change is similar in looks to the original actress, but you know something is off. The next actress change happens quite quickly and looks completely different. More like an aging porn star.

I was a bit put off by that.

Bebpo

« Reply #32936 on: January 17, 2019, 02:24:51 AM »
I watched the first half of Tomb Raider 2018 on a plane and since I’m subbed for HBO for a couple months for True Detective I looked at their movie list and saw it was there so I watched the rest.

Wow, that was some reaaaal terrible movie once they get to the island. Is it that hard to make a decent videogame movie? I mean TR is just an Indiana Jones flick....

Script, direction and action were all awful.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #32937 on: January 17, 2019, 03:58:41 AM »
Do you see her bare midriff at any point in the movie?

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #32938 on: January 17, 2019, 05:15:33 AM »
I watched the first half of Tomb Raider 2018 on a plane and since I’m subbed for HBO for a couple months for True Detective I looked at their movie list and saw it was there so I watched the rest.

Wow, that was some reaaaal terrible movie once they get to the island. Is it that hard to make a decent videogame movie? I mean TR is just an Indiana Jones flick....

Script, direction and action were all awful.
I also saw only about half of this.
I wanted to turn it off at the bike race already, but then i did soon after they're on the island.

Wasn't even funny bad, just fucking boring beyond words.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #32939 on: January 17, 2019, 08:22:51 AM »
the wild pear tree is a simple story, where a young graduate returns home to secure funds to publish his first book. with a runtime of three hours and some minutes, this film would be much of the bore's worst nightmare but much like the slower films that get abhorred on here, it's all about the details. like ceylan's previous work, this film contemplates universal issues in the context of a modern turkey and in this case, the ever-changing role of an artist in contemporary society. this is the type of movie that will stick with you long after, bravo ceylan.