Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4142307 times)

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.

Himu

Re: The new and improved movie discussion thread
« Reply #33181 on: February 13, 2019, 10:56:10 PM »
It's been a while since I saw Fistful of Dollars but damn, they really did rip off Yojimbo almost shot for shot.
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Re: The Movie News/Reviews Thread
« Reply #33183 on: February 14, 2019, 12:12:05 AM »

this is fucking hilarious :lol

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #33184 on: February 14, 2019, 01:15:53 AM »

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #33185 on: February 14, 2019, 02:09:33 AM »
每天生气

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #33186 on: February 14, 2019, 02:44:43 AM »
It's been a while since I saw Fistful of Dollars but damn, they really did rip off Yojimbo almost shot for shot.

To be fair, they did sign a contract with the Japanese rights owner (including Kurosawa) while they were working on the pre-production. It's really an authorized remake.
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #33187 on: February 14, 2019, 03:18:12 AM »

To be fair, they did sign a contract with the Japanese rights owner (including Kurosawa) while they were working on the pre-production. It's really an authorized remake.

It’s hard for me to critique. It’s so damn good and there are some parts I like more than Yojimbo. Sanjuro the GOAT tho.

What about the lawsuit Kurosawa filed? If it was authorized why the settlement?
IYKYK

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #33188 on: February 14, 2019, 03:31:01 AM »

Brain-picturing Val Kilmer as Morpheus, and heck yeah it would've been AWESOME.
___

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #33189 on: February 14, 2019, 03:51:59 AM »

It’s hard for me to critique. It’s so damn good and there are some parts I like more than Yojimbo. Sanjuro the GOAT tho.

What about the lawsuit Kurosawa filed? If it was authorized why the settlement?

I may have overstated my previous post  :ufup
But I saw a Leone exhibit here and they had what was clearly communication between Jolly Films (the Italian producer) and Toho (IIRC) and a contract, granting exceptionally rights for a remake. I may have misremembered Kurosawa being a part of that ? It's also possible that the Italian parties violated said contract (I believe the right to remake the script was granted with some distribution / territories limits), that downright swiping some of the camera work was felt to be in breach or that the contract was voided at one point.

Sorry I can't be more precise.
ὕβρις

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #33190 on: February 14, 2019, 06:09:36 AM »

The final "Oh man..." got me.
It certainly would've had a very different tone.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #33192 on: February 14, 2019, 10:43:08 AM »
Otherwise I bought the Blu Ray for R100, the latest (?) Hitoshi Matsumoto film. I'm a bit weary it's gonna be unfocused as I'm not sure he can repeat making "almost normal" Symbol but heh. We'll see.
ὕβρις

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #33193 on: February 14, 2019, 11:09:06 AM »
Audition is finally out on Blu-Ray in NA. :whew Still waiting for my favorite j-horror, Suicide Club.
©@©™

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #33194 on: February 14, 2019, 05:54:45 PM »
Saw The Blood of Wolves by Kazuya Shiraishi tonight, a film with an ambitious lineage as the director -who started working under Koji Wakamatsu- wanted to achieve something reminiscent of Kinji Fukasaku and his raw and utterly "deromanticized" Yakuza flicks. It starts on a high note, drowning in literal pig shit and setting up a Yakuza gang war in 1988 Hiroshima but after a strong opening the story sort of throw every trope along the kitchen sink for "antihero crooked cop / rookie partner really acting as an internal affair mole" and the film wanders off into becoming a pretty but purposeless catalogue that no amount of slick photography, energetic direction or graphic gore can save from awkward pacing. At the end the story get so contrived (and infatuated with his vigilante antihero) that it felt more like watching a crime based soap opera with nice production value than a film.

Lead actor Kōji Yakusho has a good performance tho.

Edit : One interesting bit from the director, when asked by the audience about preliminary research with actual gangsters, was that because of the 2012 anti gang law it was basically impossible to do so because it could be legally presented as associating with yakuzas and possibly jeopardizing the film, with potential for authorities to limit or forbid distribution. Apparently the law is so severe that yakuzas can have issues even entering their kids into the school system... A far cry from Fukusaku days when yakuzas ate with the crew or helped block circulation during the shoot
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 01:18:46 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

shosta

« Reply #33195 on: February 14, 2019, 05:56:34 PM »
Sometimes a movie like that grows on you after a second or third watch because you can watch it without the expectations you had.
每天生气

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33196 on: February 15, 2019, 10:51:07 AM »
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #33197 on: February 15, 2019, 11:15:32 AM »

Brain-picturing Val Kilmer as Morpheus, and heck yeah it would've been AWESOME.

As Val Kilmer's stand-in, I agree 100%.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33198 on: February 15, 2019, 07:20:44 PM »
MA? More like MILF! :mouf
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33199 on: February 15, 2019, 11:57:04 PM »

:gladbron
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #33200 on: February 16, 2019, 01:55:30 AM »
So wait, I'd never looked into the DC shows before but the Doom Patrol trailer and reviews seemed interesting so I thought maybe I'd check out ep1 and figured it'd be on Netflix or Hulu. So DC has their own streaming channel and that's the only place you can watch these DC tv shows on now? Wtf, the world needs to stop making more separate streaming channels. I ain't paying $8/month for some DC channel that has like 3 shows.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #33201 on: February 16, 2019, 06:07:21 AM »

:gladbron
Opening the trailer with furry ass:

will get them a lot of views.  :doge
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Looks real cool though, animatrix was better than the movies in many ways.
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33202 on: February 16, 2019, 03:00:33 PM »
©@©™

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #33203 on: February 17, 2019, 09:41:43 AM »
R100 by Hitoshi Matsumoto (you may know him as one half of the Downtown duo / star of the Gaki no Tsukai TV shows), the story of a meek salaryman with masochistic fetishes who sign up for a non rescindable, year long contract with an experimental bondage club to have dominatrixes randomly drop in to humiliate him in his everyday life. It only gets stranger from there...

I said earlier that I had worries the film would be a bit of a mess but it turns out I was wrong. I think I was apprehensive because of Big Man Japan, Matsumoto's first effort as a director that was basically a textbook example of one of his TV skits not scaling up at all to sustain a long feature format despite all its endearing aspects. He followed up with Symbol which was much better (a genuinely good and unique movie, in fact) and R100, while maybe not as good, confirmed it was not a fluke. Matsumoto, on top of his trademark weird humour, exhibits some real focus in aesthetics, pacing and narration all while the story escalates into weirder and weirder tangents and the tone shifts massively.

It's more deadpan and bizarre than comical but it makes for a very distinctive proposition (though maybe not unique, some of it evoked me Quentin Dupieux's work and his latest film, Au Poste) of a rambling, shocking but always ultimately uplifting and enthusiastic message (insomuch there's one).

And now I'm kinda sad he didn't make another feature since this one in 2013.

ὕβρις

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33204 on: February 17, 2019, 11:15:08 AM »

LMAO  :lol  Cringe from everybody!

We went to see Alita: Battle Angel yesterday.  It wasn't a bad adaptation of the original story.  Had some things changed here and there as expected, but overall they did a pretty good job of it.  The biggest change is Jennifer Connely's character, who did not exist in the original.   It felt like the world depicted was a bit too "clean" and nice for the grimier, broken down scrapyard depicted in the comic, though- we are told that this is a dystopian world, but it really didn't come across that way.  Something else I noticed is that they seemed to be using the Japanese names for everything like the names of cities, but kept the name "Alita."  Never got the name change and why they didn't just go with Gally, but whatever.  Her big CG eyes continued to be a bit of a bother, but I can at least see what they are going for with it now:
We see flashbacks depicting Alita as a soldier before she got scrapped- everyone from Mars has the same kind of big ol' anime eyes.
[close]
   So if you ever wanted to see the live-action anime version of Michelle Rodriguez, there you go!  :doge

The movie is not a gore-fest or anything, but there are scenes of people getting stabbed and cyborgs getting dismembered/cut in half/etc. happening.  Not something I'd bring the kids to, but people didn't get that memo and there were a number of little kids in the theater.  This didn't last long and I saw most of them leaving shortly after it began.  :lol
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33205 on: February 17, 2019, 12:55:38 PM »
Most of Alita’s story was copied from the anime OVA, Jennifer Connely’s character was from that. The OVA was only 50 minutes long, so they added more Alita x Hugo scenes and the rollerball subplot.
©@©™

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #33206 on: February 17, 2019, 05:06:21 PM »
Ry Cooder soundtrack IIRC.
Otherwise found it to be fairly uninspiring for a Walter Hill film. It didn't look bad tho.
ὕβρις

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #33207 on: February 17, 2019, 10:20:00 PM »
Time to eat crow. Alita was great. Go see it in theaters. Rarely do you see a CGI-fest with such great action scenes.

The pace of the movie is pretty fast, so even the cheesy YA overtones that litter the story zoom by  fast. They don’t belabor any scene.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 10:24:16 PM by ToxicAdam »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33208 on: February 17, 2019, 10:24:52 PM »
Most of Alita’s story was copied from the anime OVA, Jennifer Connely’s character was from that. The OVA was only 50 minutes long, so they added more Alita x Hugo scenes and the rollerball subplot.

:ohhh

Been so long since I saw that OVA that I didn't remember that.  The "rollerball" stuff is motorball, which is from the storyline that happens after the Hugo stuff.  Didn't mind it being thrown in earlier in the movie story since it just meant more action scenes. 
ど助平

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33209 on: February 17, 2019, 10:37:47 PM »
Time to eat crow. Alita was great. Go see it in theaters. Rarely do you see a CGI-fest with such great action scenes.

The pace of the movie is pretty fast, so even the cheesy YA overtones that litter the story zoom by  fast. They don’t belabor any scene.

Plan on catching it at IMAX. Sounds like its going to be well recieved by action sci-fi fans but not a critical darling.
:9

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33210 on: February 17, 2019, 10:40:46 PM »

:ohhh

Been so long since I saw that OVA that I didn't remember that.  The "rollerball" stuff is motorball, which is from the storyline that happens after the Hugo stuff.  Didn't mind it being thrown in earlier in the movie story since it just meant more action scenes. 

Grewishka was also from the OVA, along with a few minor plot points.
dog

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #33211 on: February 17, 2019, 10:57:12 PM »

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33212 on: February 18, 2019, 08:34:14 PM »
I've been sitting down and watching Apocalypse Now as a big boy. And it truly is a very important piece of filmaking. It's all been said already so I'll just say what strikes me. Mainly the loss of sanity. Seeing representations of Willard along his descent into madness in various forms. Himself the form we follow thats in flux. Very far down the road but not quite there. Flirting with it.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33213 on: February 18, 2019, 10:12:59 PM »
Why should they all die over an ideaization of a false god?

FUCK ME
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 10:26:24 PM by BlueTsunami »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #33214 on: February 19, 2019, 12:31:02 AM »
Watching Ready Player One. The CG in this movie is INSANE. The direction on The Shining sequence was amazing; like, disturbingly perfect lighting and camera movement. There are a bunch of shortcuts and streamlining from the book, but I'm happy with all of them. Even so, I'm 45 minutes from the ending, and unless there's 20 minutes of credits, it's gonna overstay its welcome just a little. Also, I legit LOL'd at "It's fucking Chucky!"

It seems impossible, but there are apparently even more cameos and fanservice than the book. I dunno, somehow it seems more of a celebration in this than it did in the book, which felt cloying and desperate.

Bebpo

« Reply #33215 on: February 19, 2019, 12:49:55 AM »
Watched Hell House LLC yesterday after a friend recommended it. Story is a found footage documentary about a professional haunt maze that opened up and people died on the first night and was mysteriously shut down with no investigation. Was solid found footage horror flick with a fun mystery air to it. I liked the way the film uses multiple timelines to keep the mystery going and the cast is somewhat likeable. The ending was a bit of a let down for what everyone described it as, but it's solid and leaves a lot of questions.

The funniest thing though is there is like one throwaway mysterious scene about 3/4ths in the movie that makes it seem like there's more to the lore and makes it more spooky/interesting. But then the director posted on the reddit thread that it was just a scene they cut or didn't end up filming and it's like a non-horror/scare explanation for the mystery that takes all the interesting bits away  :lol

And then they made a sequel for shudder that came out last fall to build on the lore more but apparently it's pretty awful so I'm gonna pass. I think the foundation in the first flick is good, so maybe they can do a 3rd film and make it good and interesting to build on the lore.

Anyhow I actually have a soft spot for found footage horror and this was a good one.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33216 on: February 19, 2019, 10:40:39 AM »
I've been sitting down and watching Apocalypse Now as a big boy. And it truly is a very important piece of filmaking. It's all been said already so I'll just say what strikes me. Mainly the loss of sanity. Seeing representations of Willard along his descent into madness in various forms. Himself the form we follow thats in flux. Very far down the road but not quite there. Flirting with it.

It's a Top 10 movie for me, maybe Top 5. If you haven't seen Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse , definitely watch that too.
©@©™

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33217 on: February 19, 2019, 09:56:12 PM »

Theres a depth to this film that is disturbing in a way thatbis making me sick. On its face for the initial time , it feels fairly standard but the creeping dread sets in. The sickness stems from somewhere. Apart from simply genes. A truama instilled thats never made clear but you know what it is.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 10:40:54 PM by BlueTsunami »

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33218 on: February 19, 2019, 10:34:20 PM »
I'm out here about to rent "The House that Jack Built" I have no need for this nihilism. Fuck me.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33219 on: February 19, 2019, 10:42:00 PM »
Nvm renting Shopflifters  a von trier film would have made me bite a bullet

Rahxephon91

« Reply #33220 on: February 20, 2019, 02:26:09 AM »
Alita was really good. Amazing visuals.

Bebpo

« Reply #33221 on: February 20, 2019, 02:55:36 AM »
Happy Death Day 2U - There are worse ways to spend 90 mins of your life than back with these characters and this setting again. While the first movie was surprisingly kinda great, this one lacks the focus of the original and is just sorta making problems with the characters to solve to fill the running time vs one coherent story vision. It's entertaining but nothing more. The odd thing about it is the first 20 mins and the post-credit scene show the kind of original creative direction the sequel should have taken but I think the issue was that doing something neat and new would mean not using the main gal from the first as the lead anymore and they probably thought since she was the driving force of the original she had to be the main character in the sequel as well which ended up hurting the sequel because there's just not much she can do as a lead in this story anymore. Her being a MGS2 Pliskin would've made for a much more fun and fresh sequel and it's a shame the whole movie doesn't go that route. Still worth a watch though, can't hate.

I dunno if they'll make enough money to make a 3rd one, but if they do hopefully he has some more creative freedom to go totally zany with the plot.

Also while the first movie was a horror comedy, 2nd movie is not really horror at all anymore and is just like comedy with some sci-fi.

shosta

« Reply #33222 on: February 20, 2019, 03:04:23 AM »
Wow. TVC told me he was watching that so I went to pirate it without knowing there was an original. Turns out I ended up watching the original without realizing it. So now I have to go watch 2U, I guess!

Original was great, at least.
每天生气

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33223 on: February 20, 2019, 11:48:24 AM »
https://geektyrant.com/news/hanna-barberas-1960s-series-the-banana-splits-is-being-adapted-into-a-horror-movie

They waited a little too long to jump on the Five Nights at Freddy's bandwagon, but okay.
©@©™

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33224 on: February 20, 2019, 12:01:05 PM »

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33225 on: February 20, 2019, 04:50:02 PM »
Man Battle Angel Alita is the real deal. Action is on point, acting is good and it has an emotional core that worked for me. This is my new Dredd and how some people perceive Speed Racer. I haven't been that pumped leaving the theater in a long time.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 09:59:04 AM by BlueTsunami »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33227 on: February 21, 2019, 02:53:11 PM »

Contrastated abstraction and the very real pain of living in poverty. This one hit hard. It also says a lot with so little but this is probably due to its, whats been described as impressionistic, way of portraying the real and unreal. You're left to fill in the gaps, emotionally in some cases. Having grown up as a latchkey kid that had parents try their fucking hardest to provide, it hit home. The sense of futility in your financial place breeds a sense of negativity both vicious and self defeating. So the cycle continues. Ultimately it takes someone determined enough, tired enough, to break the mold formed through generations of hurt and frustration. To ask that of a child and for that child to succeed? Is a miracle in itself.

shosta

« Reply #33228 on: February 21, 2019, 03:35:13 PM »
Man Battle Angel Alita is the real deal. Action is on point, acting is good and it has an emotional core that worked for me. This is my new Dredd and how some people perceive Speed Racer. I haven't been that pumped leaving the theater in a long time.
I'm about halfway through and this is the shit. The trailers for this movie really sucked ass in comparison.
每天生气

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #33229 on: February 21, 2019, 03:44:39 PM »
Not watching Alita in theaters? :disgust

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33230 on: February 21, 2019, 04:16:53 PM »
I'm about halfway through and this is the shit. The trailers for this movie really sucked ass in comparison.

Makes me wish we got a Rober Rodriguez helmed Ghost in the Shell. Maybe that sort of slow pace cerebral isnt in his wheelhouse but the man and Cameron can sure make a film that translates to the screen while remaining somewhat faithful to the beats and tone of the source material. Instesd of just using it as a vehicle to make something else entirely.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #33231 on: February 22, 2019, 12:44:18 PM »

Please discuss. (Watch the entire trailer)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33232 on: February 22, 2019, 01:19:36 PM »
dog

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #33233 on: February 23, 2019, 05:44:49 AM »
ὕβρις

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #33234 on: February 23, 2019, 10:58:46 AM »
Deadpool 2: More of the stuff they did in the first movie. Possibly less clever, hard to know. Whole movie was fun, I laughed a whole bunch. X-Force stuff was hilarious. Negasonic is much thinner than in the first movie, to the point where I'd worry weird pressure may have been applied to her. The credits sequence was great fun, and the extras have an extended coda where
DP shows up to murder baby Hitler.
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #33235 on: February 23, 2019, 08:18:07 PM »
Alita - I...enjoyed it? The trailers & marketing were so awful and I saw the anime OAV like 20 years ago and it was not particularly memorable, but outside pacing being kinda all over the place, a non-ending, and a tweeny romance subplot, the rest was pretty good! Lot of action, good action, lot of violence, good violence & dismemberment, I enjoyed the setting and characters. Even the ROLLERSPORTS shit that was plastered all over the marketing ended up being such a small part and the main action scene it's in was actually pretty cool since it's more a fight scene. Really nice looking CG too, can see where the 200 million budget went.

Makes me want to pick up the manga and read what happens next since I doubt they're gonna make a sequel with the box office it's doing.

My friends I went with didn't hate it, but didn't like it. They were bothered by some of the anime tropes and the big eyes, the latter which I didn't even notice but then maybe I'm just used to anime eyes from growing up watching anime so it doesn't stick out to me. And for anime tropes, idk I guess I don't see why anime tropes are worse than the standard trope stuff we see in Marvel flicks. Comic movies, especially Marvel, are very by the book and follow usual genre tropes and they're still enjoyable in spite of them and I felt the same way about Alita and anime tropes.

Also Pacific Rim 2 haha, and yeah I know I'm the only person that enjoyed that one.
[close]

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33236 on: February 24, 2019, 02:48:26 AM »
Watching Cries and Whispers by ingmar Bergman and I have to say, midway through, the priests call for Agnes to send a prayer to God for those on earth is one of the most sorrowful and powerful single moments put on film.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33237 on: February 24, 2019, 06:09:40 AM »
Did a rewatch of No Country for Old Men.

Still such a great film.

:iface
🤴

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #33238 on: February 24, 2019, 07:16:26 AM »
"Come watch Alita it's like Speed Racer"

:ohyeah

"Come watch Alita it's like Pacific Rim 2"

:nope

Bebpo

« Reply #33239 on: February 24, 2019, 01:31:55 PM »
"Come watch Alita it's like Speed Racer"

:ohyeah

"Come watch Alita it's like Pacific Rim 2"

:nope

:lol

Alita is nothing like Pacific Rim 2, but that's just another anime movie I like. Alita is definitely a much better film than PR2.