Author Topic: One Piece Thread: The best comic you haven't read  (Read 425266 times)

Bebpo

One Piece Thread: The best comic you haven't read
« on: November 14, 2008, 09:58:00 PM »
Every Friday I read the latest chapter of One Piece and every week it reaffirms that One Piece is the greatest piece of literature in comic book form at least since I was growing up.  I don't mean it in the sense that it is extremely intellectual well-written dialogue with deep themes and symbolism, but rather that the worldview and story is bigger and better than anything else I've ever read, hell even in novel form (it helps that OP is fucking LONG).

The worldview is incredible.  Things happen in the present and then you go back and re-read chapters from years ago and you see people commenting off hand about these exact same things and you realize this was all foreshadowed and connected years ago into the worldview.  There are so many MAJOR characters, major groups, and the world is so big...yet everything makes sense and is just weaved together so perfectly that it feels like the author Oda Eiichiro must have sat down and basically jotted out a 1000 outline of the entire universe before he even started the manga.

Even the characters are fantastic.  The lead character Luffy is probably the most likeable lead in any Japanese comic to date.  It's impossible to hate the guy, he's just awesome.  The rest of the crew and the antagonist are usually fun and likable as well.  The major villians and major powers tend to be well developed interesting cast members. 

The writing has excellent humor, great emotionally powerful moments where you stand up and cheer along with the characters, and great fight setups.

The art is kinda funky and it turns a lot of people off, but you get used to it and it gets better as it goes along.  It's no Berserk or anything in artistic excellence but it looks good.

So yeah, outside of a few people on gaf I don't know ANYONE who actually reads One Piece.  Instead people read these shitty comics like Naruto or Bleach or something...wtf!  Sometimes you meet someone who watches the anime adaptation of OP, but it's got nothing on the comic.  The pacing is slow and there's added fillers between arcs.  It's an utter crime to humanity that so few people outside of Japan read One Piece.  Normally I think mainstream and majority taste is usually awful, but the fact that One Piece, which is IMO the greatest manga ever written is also the #1 most popular manga in all of Japan and has millions of readers makes me happy inside.  Unfortunately this does not expand to the western world.

I implore you, if you haven't read One Piece, give it a fair chance.  The beginning is kinda iffy as the start of most comics are, but sit down for an hour or two and read a few volumes and give it a fair shake.  Maybe it won't be for you, but it just might become the greatest thing you've ever read and make you a happier person.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 04:51:31 PM by Joe Molotov »

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
Re: Friday thread of why don't you read One Piece? (Seriously)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 09:59:45 PM »
yes yes yes yes

:bow :bow :bow eichiro oda :bow2 :bow2 :bow2
duc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 10:02:04 PM »
btw is 523 out
duc

Debaser

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 10:03:17 PM »
I've only read 11 or 12 volumes (one problem with manga, the HUGE series take up so much shelf space after a while) but the moment where Luffy

spoiler (click to show/hide)
punches his hand bloody against the spike armor so hard he beats up the guy inside anyway
[close]

is one of the most memorably badass things I've ever seen in a comic

Bebpo

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 10:06:59 PM »
btw is 523 out

Yeah and it's AWESOME.  Next arc is going to be incredible.

ACE <3 <3
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 10:09:21 PM »
I've only read 11 or 12 volumes (one problem with manga, the HUGE series take up so much shelf space after a while) but the moment where Luffy

punches his hand bloody against the spike armor so hard he beats up the guy inside anyway
[close]

Yeah, that was great.  You should read more, there a ton of really memorable scenes.  The end of the first huge arc in Alabasta is  :o

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 10:09:51 PM »
Why is it called One Piece?
QED

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 10:11:40 PM »
One Piece :bow2 I feel bad that I occasionlly stop reading/watching at times but I'm caught up now. Amazing manga is amazing.
Boo

Bebpo

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 10:18:06 PM »
Why is it called One Piece?

There's a treasure that the previous pirate king left hid before his death that is all the wealth in the world.  He hid it at the end of the world and the first pirate to reach it and claim it will become the pirate king.  That treasure is called the "One Piece".

It's a simple premise that gives way to an epic adventure full of all kinds of great stories.

cool breeze

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 10:20:11 PM »
I still have like 400 episodes to watch before I start the manga.  I'll start that eventually.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 10:25:29 PM »
btw is 523 out

plenty of good reasons I don't read it, but the fact that there 523 of them is enough. :lol

Bebpo

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 10:30:42 PM »
I'll tell you why I haven't read the manga.

I have this manga freak roommate (half Japanese / half Saudi) who worships OP. I tend to get his opinion on any manga or anime I hear stuff about, as I'm not a big anime/manga fan. I generally prefer manga over anime (and he does to), but when I asked him whether to read OP's manga or just watch the show, he told me to watch show.

He says that the manga sometimes make hard to imagine what sort of action is going on, like one panel would have Luffy in one place doing something, while the other has him in a different position. He went to also compliment OP's fillers and they're not bad as far as fillers go.

Now, you may strongly disagree with him, but that's what kept me from reading the manga. So fast forward to today when I've watched 315 eps when the internet has become more interested in encoding HD eps that doesn't run smoothly on my old laptop and I've got a problem; what should I do? do I go back to reading the manga from the start? or should I just continue the manga where the I left the show?

Either way, I'm in love with OP. Granted, I don't watch a lot of animes, but it has to be the most enjoyable form of entertainment I've ever experienced. I just regret not being able to grow up to this sort of stuff, so much positive energy.

Just pick up with the manga where you are.  The anime isn't bad and has a lot going for it.  The music is great, the voice actors fit very well, and the animation in the major fights is excellent.  I watched about 100 eps of the anime back in the day and enjoyed them.  I just feel it's too slow compared to the manga and as a result it doesn't have the great pacing that the manga has (outside of Skypiea arc where it bogged down a little).  The anime is pretty faithful to the manga from what I've seen and heard, so you should be fine.

I still have like 400 episodes to watch before I start the manga.  I'll start that eventually.

Skip the anime, read the manga!  You can read like 100eps worth of manga in 5 hours instead of watching it in 50 hours.

btw is 523 out

plenty of good reasons I don't read it, but the fact that there 523 of them is enough. :lol

This is an issue a lot of people have, which is fair.  I've never jumped into a manga personally that had so much to catch up on.  But honestly, here it's a positive.  There is SO MUCH good material there that you get to actually HAVE THE NEXT CHAPTER when you finish one and go "oh man I need to the next chapter!" :)  There's no rush to catch up, just read and enjoy at your own pace.  Also if you read it in English you can go through it pretty quickly.  I read most of my manga in English these days because I don't like the series I read much anymore (Naruto, Bleach, Hunter x Hunter, Gantz) and I blow through a chapter in 2-3 mins.  OTOH I read OP in Japanese because I like it so much and want to actually get the dialogue Oda writes directly and a chapter takes me about 10-15 mins.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 10:33:33 PM by Bebpo »

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 10:39:04 PM »
man, the kuja pirates mini-arc really sent me for a loop, although i just finished 522.
duc

Bebpo

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 10:40:56 PM »
I'm not really with the majority on the quality of OP arcs.  Most people thought Eneis Lobby was amazing, whereas I thought it was just so-so (I loved Water 7 though) and I really liked the last half of Skypiea with
Battle Royale and the Luffy v. Enel fight.  I loved the look on Enel's face when he realized he was fucked  :lol  I also really liked the ending moments with the bell.  The first half of Skypiea drags, but overall I'm a fan of the arc.
[close]

The only arc I thought actually "sucked" was the Daveyback Fight arc, but luckily that was short.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 10:41:12 PM »

[close]

Yeah, that was great.  You should read more, there a ton of really memorable scenes.  The end of the first huge arc in Alabasta is  :o

enies lobby's ending is straight up :o :'( :maf :punch :-[ :o

best arc in the manga, by far

also franky rules
duc

cool breeze

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 10:41:42 PM »
Skip the anime, read the manga!  You can read like 100eps worth of manga in 5 hours instead of watching it in 50 hours.

1) it's easier for me to get into an anime than into a manga

2) I already downloaded them all

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 10:45:16 PM »
davyback is the only weak arc, if only because foxy was distinguished mentally-challenged and there was no real meaningful conflict. oh, foxy's a scum, he tricked luffy, lol wat

you didn't CARE about him getting pwned the way you wanted arlong/krieg/crocodile/wapol/enel/lucci/spandam/moria to get pwned
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 10:46:51 PM by Professor Prole »
duc

Bebpo

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 10:47:53 PM »

[close]

enies lobby's ending is straight up :o :'( :maf :punch :-[ :o

best arc in the manga, by far

also franky rules

I think my problem with Enies Lobby was that
I didn't like how all the antagonists were animal forms.  Fighting animals was just less exciting to me personally than humans.  The only fight I really liked was the last fight, but even then I enjoyed the fights in Water 7 more since they were human-form.  I guess I just have a furry aversion.
[close]
 I still enjoyed it and yeah Franky is great, but it's not my favorite arc.  I think my favorites are Alabasta & Thriller Bark.  Although everything since the Shabondy arc has been pretty awesome.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 10:52:04 PM »
i didn't mind the cp9 powers -- their powers were more about the rokushiki assassination arts and their individual variations on it than their devil fruit powers. besides, it emphasized how savage they were. come on: the zoro fight was awesome (and turned into a half-animated disgrace in the anime)! i thought spandam was an awesomely wretched villain, and he's one of the few villains that was actually killed (along with arlong). you don't fuck with oda's wimmenfolk!

jinfash, the thriller bark arc turns that quasi-formula on its ear, as does the shabondy archipelago arc.
duc

Bebpo

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 10:52:41 PM »
Yeah, I liked Enies lobby a whole lot. Franky brought it to life and the whole process of uncovering Robin's past then watching her emote for the first time was pretty sweet.

As for the part you liked about Luffy vs. Enel fight Bepbo, I agree it was good. But it was also at that time when I realized that all the major villains in OP act the same thing:

cocky/unphased

cocky/unphased

cocky/unphased

cocky/unphased

Luffy goes SSJ

:o :o :o HOLY SHIT SOMEONE SAVE ME

actually that might apply to all anime villains :lol
[close]

Enel was different though because Enel was basically a loser/wimp who the only reason he was 'god' was because of his special ability.  So when suddenly it doesn't work and he realizes he's just a loser human being against Luffy his reaction with snot coming out of his nose and stuff was priceless.  I really liked Enel's character and felt he was different than the other villians because he really sucks and is not some tough or smart guy like the other antagonists, he was just lucky to have this random power.  He also only kept his position of power because he was in this continent away from the rest of the world.  If he was in the real world down below he would've gotten beat down by half the pirates in the sea  :lol  

Which is why I found his post-story on the moon so fitting since he really has no place to go since he's just a weakling.
[close]

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2008, 10:54:24 PM »
enel was also a god because of his mantra, and let's face it, luffy is like the ONLY person who could beat him -- rubber trumps electricity in the pokemon world of one piece, plus luffy was too dumb for the mantra to read completely. he's clearly one of the most powerful characters in one piece, blackbeard and the marine admirals aside.
[close]
duc

Bebpo

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2008, 11:03:43 PM »
enel was also a god because of his mantra, and let's face it, luffy is like the ONLY person who could beat him -- rubber trumps electricity in the pokemon world of one piece, plus luffy was too dumb for the mantra to read completely. he's clearly one of the most powerful characters in one piece, blackbeard and the marine admirals aside.
[close]

I guess it's been a while.  I don't really remember the Mantra stuff.  Still Enel was cocky to the point that no other enemy has been and it was very enjoyable to watch him get beatdown :P
[close]

I think I'm also a little kinder to Skypiea because that's where the manga was when I started reading OP and after catching up where it was when I was reading it weekly in the convenience stores.  So it's a memorable arc for me.

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2008, 11:20:00 PM »
my post from the anime thread since there was no thread for this

While not animated (at the moment) but

One piece 522

:bow Luffy :bow2

Too bad he doesn't realize what the fuck is going on  :lol

I don't want to even fathom what his bounty gonna be (especially if this stunt is successful).

Himu

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2008, 01:19:27 AM »
Because I love One piece too much to read it weekly. It drives me insane. I do binges. I haven't read it since May. I'm doing a marathon this Thanksgiving.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2008, 01:23:03 AM »
I'm not really with the majority on the quality of OP arcs.  Most people thought Eneis Lobby was amazing, whereas I thought it was just so-so (I loved Water 7 though) and I really liked the last half of Skypiea with
Battle Royale and the Luffy v. Enel fight.  I loved the look on Enel's face when he realized he was fucked  :lol  I also really liked the ending moments with the bell.  The first half of Skypiea drags, but overall I'm a fan of the arc.
[close]

The only arc I thought actually "sucked" was the Daveyback Fight arc, but luckily that was short.

wtf

Enies Lobby so-so? wtf
IYKYK

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2008, 01:34:51 AM »
because i prefer watching.

drew

• sy
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2008, 01:56:58 AM »
jinfash watches anime?

honeymoon over

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2008, 08:19:25 AM »
Skypiea pissed me so much with how almost everyone survived Enel's el thor.

NO ONE DIES FUCKING SHONEN lol.

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2008, 02:10:10 AM »
The raw for 523 has been leaked early a so new chapter is out and translated

Crazy are things happening with the "upcoming event".

and they also show the whereabouts of nami, franky and sanji so far

and  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol @ where sanji ended up.

:rofl :rofl :rofl

:bow oda :bow2

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2008, 03:27:02 AM »
oh god, poor sanji :lol :lol :lol

:bow :bow oda :bow2 :bow2
duc

Bebpo

« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2008, 06:29:52 PM »
524 is out and the build up is even better

lol at an island where people think Brooke is their great lord Satan.
Yay at Smoker and his underling girl showing up for the battle.
[close]

It's crazy how much info Oda can pack into 19 pages.

Beezy

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2008, 07:17:21 PM »
One Piece is amazing.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2008, 07:50:22 PM »
:bow :bow oda :bow2 :bow2
duc

Tucah

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2008, 10:25:02 PM »
One Piece is incredible. Easily my favorite manga ever, I love how Oda makes almost every chapter advance the plot in some way, a refreshing change of pace from most other shonen manga. The past few have been especially amazing, this arc is going to be great.

Purple Filth

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2008, 10:30:45 PM »
I thought it wasn't going to come out  :'(

Holy shit :hyper

:lol @ luffy, when will he ever learn.

i would do the usual tribute to Oda but prole already has it covered.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 10:38:57 PM by Purple Filth »

Oblivion

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2008, 11:39:08 PM »
Goddamn it, it ends just when they finally show most of the shichibukai and Ace, finally!

One thing's for sure, though, looks like shit's goin DOWN.

edit: I missed pretty much all of thriller bark (though I know the gist of what went down), but what exactly are Brooke's abilities?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 11:50:00 PM by Oblivion »

Bebpo

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2008, 03:00:51 AM »
edit: I missed pretty much all of thriller bark (though I know the gist of what went down), but what exactly are Brooke's abilities?

He can't die and he has some sword skills like Zoro.  Don't remember if there's anything else.
[close]

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2008, 07:45:04 PM »
well, i read the first Japanese volume of this years ago and thought it was just another pretty light n'fluffy Dragonball-esque kid's comic and didn't bother picking up any of the others. I'm not reading anything else in Japanese right now so what the hell, i've give it another try. Although the wife basically won't let start reading another long series because of the shelf space they take up. I don't suppose there is somewhere that I can dl the first few volumes in Japanese to see if it's worth picking them up? Fan translations annoy me.
vjj

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2008, 08:18:05 PM »

He can't die and he has some sword skills like Zoro.  Don't remember if there's anything else.
[close]

his songs also power up the party and his own attacks, ala a d&d bard, and he's a tremendous perv
[close]
duc

Grecco

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2008, 09:07:01 PM »
Because i already read Naruto and Bleach  :-\

Bebpo

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2008, 09:58:40 PM »
well, i read the first Japanese volume of this years ago and thought it was just another pretty light n'fluffy Dragonball-esque kid's comic and didn't bother picking up any of the others. I'm not reading anything else in Japanese right now so what the hell, i've give it another try. Although the wife basically won't let start reading another long series because of the shelf space they take up. I don't suppose there is somewhere that I can dl the first few volumes in Japanese to see if it's worth picking them up? Fan translations annoy me.

Yeah, I don't think you'll be able to find it.  Fan translation/scanlation sites get by because the Japanese suits don't want to bother with international lawsuits, but if there were Japanese sites with the pages up for grabs I think they'd be shut down mighty fast.

US sites have raw chapters back to a certain point, but not that far back. 

Your best bet would probably be a file sharing program though I don't advise using them while living in Japan.  Too risky IMO.  Better to just get them at a book off and sell them back when you're done.  Or spend evenings at a manga cafe, but your wife might not like that :P

*edit:  Actually googling I found this site:
http://www.onepiecefans.com/onepiecefans,multimedia,japanese_manga.html
But you have to register in their forums to download.

Also if you like torrents here:
http://www.mininova.org/tor/616321

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2008, 12:49:31 AM »
Where do non-Japanese reading people go to read these?
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2008, 12:58:09 AM »
There are a lot of sites that let you read one page at a time straight on the website.  They use different translations and some of them really suck so be warned.  You can also jump on a batch torrent.

Just google "one piece manga" and you should find some links.  Here's one for instance:
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2008, 01:02:06 AM »
I'm tempted to start reading the manga because waiting for the anime every week is killing me.

but i don't know at what chapter thriller bark ends at :/

Bebpo

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2008, 01:12:04 AM »
I'm tempted to start reading the manga because waiting for the anime every week is killing me.

but i don't know at what chapter thriller bark ends at :/

The fight with
Moria
[close]
ends around 482.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2008, 01:21:17 AM »
thanks.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2008, 07:21:55 PM »

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2008, 02:06:24 PM »
524 spoilers:

[close]

the power level contained in this page is so fucked up.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2008, 02:11:15 PM »
vice admiral garp :bow :bow
duc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2008, 12:18:34 AM »
525 out, fruit loops: http://rapidshare.com/files/170665621/One_Piece_525v2__FH_.zip

return of buggy the clown? :o
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 12:25:18 AM by Professor Prole »
duc

Purple Filth

« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2008, 04:41:57 AM »
525 out, fruit loops: http://rapidshare.com/files/170665621/One_Piece_525v2__FH_.zip

return of buggy the clown? :o

Yea after all this time.  :lol

It was a nice chapter and Impel Down is fucking brutal, no wonder ace got fucked up in there. Should be interesting with so many characters meeting up in one place (except the rest of the StrawHats)

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2008, 09:00:50 AM »
no one piece this week is criminal.

Purple Filth

« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2008, 09:03:07 AM »

yea it sucks but supposedly the next issues are double chapters i think?

oh well

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2008, 09:04:19 AM »

oh well
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

:rock

Purple Filth

« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2008, 09:48:06 AM »

oh well
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

:rock

still not sure on that though, maybe Bebpo can shed some light on this?.

also a supposed list of how the dates for JUMP are gonna go for this month (stolen from gaf)

Week of Dec. 12th -- Jump RAW leaks (no One Piece)
Week of Dec. 19th -- Jump RAW leaks
Week of Dec. 26th -- Jump RAW leaks
Week of Jan. 2nd --- Jump RAW leaks
Week of Jan. 9th -- No Jump
Week of Jan. 16th -- No Jump
Week of Jan. 23rd -- Jump RAW leaks

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2008, 11:40:11 AM »
MUST HAVE MOAR LUFFY!  :punch  :punch  :pirate
:)

Himu

« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2008, 12:20:42 PM »
I'M CATCHING UP THIS XMAS
IYKYK

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2008, 12:34:16 PM »
:)

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2008, 10:06:49 AM »

[close]