Author Topic: You cant make shit like this up. (People who steal shit need to die)  (Read 9347 times)

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
Re: You cant make shit like this up. (People who steal shit need to die)
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2009, 12:37:41 AM »
whine whine whine.  just buy another fuckin' copy.  I ended up buying THREE copies of Modern Compiler Implementation in ML (though I later found one of the lost two), and that book cost $60!

p.s. anyone wanna copy of Modern Compiler Implementation in ML? it's pretty good
QED

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2009, 12:40:07 AM »
I am worse at double dipping on books than I am movies.  I have owned at least 4 copies of Foucault's Pendulum.
serge

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #122 on: January 30, 2009, 12:46:08 AM »
On the HP side of things:  You don't see the grounded fans of the series declaring it any sort of important statement of human interaction and social commentary.  It's just a fun book with a good sense of adventure.

Hell, didn't Prole like one of them?
püp

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #123 on: January 30, 2009, 12:48:27 AM »
[I am] short, stark, and mansome.  You should contact me if you are a skinny woman.
wow, recursivelyenumerable writes the best personals

:maf  i am of average height, and make a point of not having standards, weight- or otherwise.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
other than that, pretty spot-on
[close]
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 12:50:53 AM by recursivelyenumerable »
QED

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #124 on: January 30, 2009, 01:34:27 AM »
On the HP side of things:  You don't see the grounded fans of the series declaring it any sort of important statement of human interaction and social commentary.  It's just a fun book with a good sense of adventure.

Hell, didn't Prole like one of them?

I haven't read HP since I finished the last book. My plan is to pull out the series in 5 years and see how I feel about it. I had read better fantasy books before I discovered HP, and I've read better fantasy books since. But nothing comes close for me in terms of introducing characters I actually care about; I basically grew up with the books so I'm biased

/manchild

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #125 on: January 30, 2009, 01:42:41 AM »
Sure it does. It deals explicitly with economics which is the basis for almost all human interaction.

Sure it does. It deals explicitly with economics which is the basis for almost all human interaction.

It most definitely is not.

Utility maximization is not the basis for all human interaction.  It's an assumption made by a certain school of economics (you know, the one that's hemorrhaging credibility these days) in modeling human behavior, because the math is too complicated otherwise.

No economics phD would ever tell you that people actually behave in that way, and anyone researching behavioral economics could list dozens of academically proven counterexamples off the top of their head.

Human interaction is an incredibly complex knot of psychology, neurochemistry and socialization.  Objectivism isn't exactly based on empirical study in those areas.

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #126 on: January 30, 2009, 01:47:11 AM »
i don't think objectivists would deny the prevalence of behavior patterns inconsistent with any utility valuation (not that mathematicizing it is their style), they'd just label them as evil, anti-life, etc.   
QED

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #127 on: January 30, 2009, 01:53:50 AM »
Human interaction is an incredibly complex knot of psychology, neurochemistry and socialization.  Objectivism isn't exactly based on empirical study in those areas.

This is why that Rand quote about Beyond Freedom & Dignity cracked me up so much.
serge

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #128 on: January 30, 2009, 02:09:11 AM »
i don't think objectivists would deny the prevalence of behavior patterns inconsistent with any utility valuation (not that mathematicizing it is their style), they'd just label them as evil, anti-life, etc.   

I almost put in a disclaimer saying that for all I know Atlas Shrugged deals with human nature outside of marginal utility, cause I ain't read no Rand.

It was the "economics is the basis for all human interaction" bit that got me.

Actually, (and Beardo almost definitely doesn't realize this), he's kind of repeating an academic meme, where economists influenced by the Chicago school apply their rational actor models to all sorts of non-traditional subjects.  Freakonomics, for example.

There's probably some potential value in doing that, but I get the impression that it's 90% sloppy intellectual poaching.

"Nice field of study you have there.  I bet I could do it better.  Just give me some indefensible base assumptions and a calculator, and presto!  Now that's sociology!"

edit: Ha!  Found a Paul Krugman post I was looking for.

Quote from: Krugman
Nordhaus, among other things, wrote a hostile review of Jay Forrester’s World Dynamics, which led to the later Limits to Growth. The essential story there was one of hard-science arrogance: Forrester, an eminent professor of engineering, decided to try his hand at economics, and basically said, “I’m going to do economics with equations! And run them on a computer! I’m sure those stupid economists have never thought of that!” And he didn’t walk over to the east side of campus to ask whether, in fact, any economists ever had thought of that, and what they had learned. (Economists tend to do the same thing to sociologists and political scientists. The general rule to remember is that if some discipline seems less developed than your own, it’s probably not because the researchers aren’t as smart as you are, it’s because the subject is harder.)

As a result, the study was a classic case of garbage-in-garbage-out: Forrester didn’t know anything about the empirical evidence on economic growth or the history of past modeling efforts, and it showed. The insistence of his acolytes that the work must be scientific, because it came out of a computer, only made things worse.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 02:36:59 AM by Mandark »

Propagandhim

« Reply #129 on: January 30, 2009, 02:43:02 AM »
<3 Krugman.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #130 on: January 30, 2009, 05:39:57 PM »
personally, I don't think that any type of philosophy or form of government is perfect.  It's impossible to get everybody to go along with pretty much any philosophy voluntarily since they all require consolidating power in some way.  This is why libertarians/objectivists usually look really petty when they argue about how they think that things should be.

I'm not just talking about FoC's rants.  Just the idea that any philosophy is "good" makes you sound like a 5 year old imo but that's too nye-he-listic for some so I'll just post a picture of Ayn Rand that nobody warned me about until it was too late.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #131 on: January 30, 2009, 05:56:17 PM »
No economics phD would ever tell you that people actually behave in that way, and anyone researching behavioral economics could list dozens of academically proven counterexamples off the top of their head.
Seeking Subjective Dominance in Multidimensional Space: An Explanation of the Asymmetric Dominance Effect (1995)

Coherent Arbitrariness: Stable Demand Curves Without Stable Preferences (2003)

Tom Sawyer and the Construction of Value (2006)

Experimental Tests of the Endowment Effect and the Coase Theorem (1990)

jon