Author Topic: Borecast Episode 4: Saving Private Ryu (with special guest Frag)  (Read 11392 times)

border

Re: Borecast Episode 4: Saving Private Ryu (with special guest Frag)
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2009, 12:38:27 AM »
The discussion of "Shameful Late 90's Adult Contemporary That You Love" was pretty good.  If I pick up a new mike in the next week or so I might submit a couple of my favorites for consideration.

The Street Fighter 4 complaints are perhaps understandable, perhaps.  It's one thing not to have the reflexes for the timing, though you are pussies if you forgot the friggin' moves.  You guys really can't do a dragon punch anymore?  I don't feel like the game was really hyped up to be that casual-friendly.  Ultimately the only thing that makes fighters casual friendly is a large roster of very recognizable characters and easy, spammable moves (it's no coincidence how popular Smash Brothers and Marvel vs. Capcom were).  A casual gamer's interest will wane pretty quickly once he has already seen all the characters though, and it will inevitably be time to move on to something else.  I think you should ultimately be glad that they didn't turn the game into SSB or MvC2 though.

I'm sure that there will be an inevitable Wii version where all the moves are just performed with a limp-wristed waggle motion, and perhaps that will be a little easier on you. 

the gaming segment ran longer because i figured this might be my only shot to talk about WWII games :lol

That's fine.  The Geekbox has become my favorite of the post-1Up podcasts, and it struggles with similar focus challenges.  They want to talk about all geek media, but it I think it becomes difficult to keep every listener interested when the discussion can shift wildly between comic books, videogames, movies, TV shows, etc.  They do a good job holding your interest though my eyes glaze over when they go on about a TV show (Burn Notice) or comics universe (DC) that I don't have any real interest in.  I think the problem is ultimately solved by not making any particular topic go on for too long or getting too inside with any of it. 

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2009, 12:49:29 AM »
I didn't take the Street Fighter complaints to be leveled so much at the game itself, but more as gamers who were once good at it finding it hard to recapture their groove, and thus the "magic". I haven't forgotten any of the moves, but there's just not as much passion for me to regain my (at one time, fairly competent) skills at playing Street Fighter as I once might have had.

We'll see, though. I've personally only had it for a couple of days, and admittedly haven't logged much time on it.
fek

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2009, 01:05:31 AM »
oh, i can do all the moves. fuck, i still play guilty gear accent core regularly. i just don't CARE about street fighter any more, and neither do my friends. online? really, do i wanna play with hypercompetitive manchildren at age 35? hell naw.
duc

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2009, 01:08:32 AM »
i know, and i gots the old man hands nowadays  :'(

i was expecting at least one "you guys are just gamepussies" by now, though

It is implied
fat

border

« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2009, 01:42:09 AM »
The listener comments section is good, particularly because it included something from me  :D  At 1:37:50, Doug advises potential internet Casanovas to show  "a certain amount of self-defecation."  Perhaps a telling Freudian slip?

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2009, 01:43:47 AM »
that was eel, not me!
duc

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2009, 05:54:49 AM »
Prof. Prole, you are going to love Blaz Blue!

A casual gamer's interest will wane pretty quickly once he has already seen all the characters though, and it will inevitably be time to move on to something else.  I think you should ultimately be glad that they didn't turn the game into SSB or MvC2 though.

I'll be glad when this happens.  Makes online play a hell of lot better when all the distinguished mentally-challenged fellow-scrubs have dropped it and moved onto the next big release.  It's gotten so bad that now you have idiots making one-round fights with 30-second timers in ranked.

This reminds of the old days at my game store job when there would always be a few people that would come in and sell the latest fighting game and tell us that they "passed it."  This of course means that they undertook the incredibly arduous effort of going through the arcade mode on easy at one round, unlocking all the characters, and seeing all the endings.  And that was it.  "Why aren't these games longer?" one guy once said.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 06:02:34 AM by the lyte edge »
ど助平

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2009, 06:55:18 AM »
that was eel, not me!

nope, just listened, that was you, you naughty man

i blame the "pound cake" (show magic revealed: we actually recorded the quiz show first as frag had to leave because it was getting late)
sup

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2009, 04:06:25 PM »
I can't really complain about the SFIV review because:

1. I haven't played it yet
2. If that is what you found the most awesome about the series, you are absolutely right.

HLR

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2009, 05:40:57 PM »
No sense playing a game where you'll always be up against a bunch of racist shitwits or guys who play the game 12 hours a day in their mom's basement.  If your friends aren't big fans of the game, I can see why some people don't bother with modern fighting games.
🍆🍆

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2009, 06:28:40 PM »
i know, and i gots the old man hands nowadays  :'(

i was expecting at least one "you guys are just gamepussies" by now, though

It is implied

Pretty much.
HLR