Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIII demo thread  (Read 25513 times)

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
Re: Final Fantasy XIII demo thread
« Reply #300 on: April 19, 2009, 01:31:13 AM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15506491&postcount=200

Quote from: bloke
Magna Carta II battle screens look good, apparently entering battles will be seamless, there'll be both turn-based and action elements in battle and you can change characters realtime. Also game is 80% done, so I'm guessing late summer for japanese release.

FFXIII owned by Korean developers.

yeah, it's a little early to say whether Magna Carta 2 won't be a complete steaming pile of shit like the first one.   Seriously, that might be the worst JRPG I've ever played (about 4 hours...not the whole thing.)

re: the fashion and beauty of FFXIII.  I don't mind so much that it's there.  It's that the characters are supposed to be these ragtag underdogs, but they look completely bourgeois and manicured.  people bitch about immersion in RPGs while most of them feature characters who look completely unfit for the part.  Imagine Die Hard with some svelte tuxedo-wearing slickster instead of a bloody and bruised Bruce Willis...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 01:43:43 AM by Kranz Fafka »

Himu

« Reply #301 on: April 19, 2009, 01:47:52 AM »
magna carta is korean
IYKYK

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #302 on: April 19, 2009, 01:51:12 AM »
magna carta is korean

'cause everyone would know what the hell I meant if I wrote "KRPG," right?  :lol 

It's basically a bad knock off of shadow hearts.  there's nothing to distinguish it from other jrpgs.

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #303 on: April 19, 2009, 02:03:18 AM »
re: the fashion and beauty of FFXIII.  I don't mind so much that it's there.  It's that the characters are supposed to be these ragtag underdogs, but they look completely bourgeois and manicured.  people bitch about immersion in RPGs while most of them feature characters who look completely unfit for the part.  Imagine Die Hard with some svelte tuxedo-wearing slickster instead of a bloody and bruised Bruce Willis...

well in the demo Lightning is presented as an untouchable badass, not really an underdog.  but I agree in general.  I actually think Nomura is really skilled and talented at what he does, but for the most part it's too blatantly commercial for me. though it always amuses me to see how worked-up people get over having to see male characters occasionally aesthetically objectified a bit along with the girls.
QED

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #304 on: April 19, 2009, 04:23:57 AM »
some answers to questions that may or may not have been asked anywhere ever

Q: Did Nomura have major input in the stories of FF7, 8, or 10?
A: 7/8 yes (e.g. the whole Garden/SeeD/Witch setup was his idea), 10 no

Q: Was Nojima involved with KH1, KH2, or Dirge of Cerberus?
A: KH1 only somewhat (he joined to help out towards the end of development.  they initially hired Keiko Nobumoto (Cowboy Bebop, etc.) to be in charge of scenario, but in practice Jun Akiyama appears to have ended up doing most of the writing (and directing)), KH2 yes, Dirge no (scenario writer was Hiroki Chiba).  the basic plots of KH1/2 (and Versus) are Nomura's
QED

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #305 on: April 19, 2009, 04:43:14 AM »
the other thing is that story etc. in SE games is actually usually pretty collaborative, everyone on the team contributes ideas.  this interview -> http://www.evilbore.com/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=29557.360;num_replies=360 <- has some insight into the development of FF7's story and events, for example

In the original scenario, Zack didn’t exist

- Mr. Kitase, which scene do you find most striking even now?

Kitase: Like Nomura, I’d have to say the climax in the mental realm. The scene where the mysteries regarding Sephiroth and Cloud all become clear. I didn’t know until we were in the latter stages of development that Cloud’s memories were Zack’s. First of all, when I originally checked the scenario, the character of Zack didn’t exist. Zack was a character who came up as Nojima was building up the mysteries. So until that part was complete I was left wondering just how he was planning to solve this, and all the while making the event scenes, still in the dark about the truth.

Nojima: But with Zack, I didn’t simply bring him in just because it was needed for solving the mysteries. When I joined the development team, the concept of Aerith seeing her first love again in Cloud was already there, so I brought him in to link that with solving the mysteries.

Nomura: About the concept of her seeing her first love again in Cloud, at first we were thinking of making that man Sephiroth. When I got the request for the illustration of Zack we were already near the end of development, so when you look at it now it’s not even coloured, and I can’t really deny that it feels like quite a sudden request.

- Had you thought about the truth of the mysteries regarding Cloud and Zack from the very beginning?

Nojima: No, I thought of it as I went on with my work. So at the beginning there wasn’t much foreshadowing. The foreshadowing scenes, I asked the staff in charge of the event scenes to add after development reached a point where an outcome for the mysteries came into sight.

Kitase: In those days it was easy to go back and change things around later on. Lately, with the workload involved in making the graphics, it’s hard to ask people to change something once it’s been finished.

Nojima: Well, even back then, there were some people you could easily ask to change an event later on, and people who were difficult to ask, so the locations of the foreshadowing might be biased. I only went to the people who were easy to ask, and the foreshadowing is focused at the scenes they were in charge of (laughs).
QED

Jansen

« Reply #306 on: April 19, 2009, 09:02:41 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

fucking hair looks like it's interlaced. i hope they fix that shit cuz it looks terrible and is a huge blemish on the games visuals
and?

and it looks like shit you dumbfuck

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #307 on: April 19, 2009, 09:56:52 AM »
I'll check this game out.  Won't be a day one purchase.

(Image removed from quote.)

fucking hair looks like it's interlaced. i hope they fix that shit cuz it looks terrible and is a huge blemish on the games visuals
and?

and it looks like shit you dumbfuck

Take it easy.
🍆🍆

Jansen

« Reply #308 on: April 19, 2009, 10:43:22 AM »
was that too mean?

here how bout this "i think it looks like shit and i hope they fix it."

ahh now that's better :P

Bebpo

« Reply #309 on: April 20, 2009, 01:36:33 AM »
Speaking of interlaced hair, I just watched the Advent Children DC and while the transfer is pretty good in 1080p (the new DC scenes looking the sharpest and most detailed), the hair looks jaggy as hell.  Very similar to that effect up there, so maybe they did the hair the same way?  Tifa's is the most problematic.

In terms of the film, I think the DC additions were great.  Even though 30 mins was added into the film, the film never felt too long except for the parts it did in the original (mainly the huge action/action/action segment starting in the town square until the seph battle).  The film's strongest points was always its dialogue since Nojima writes character dialogue really well and so 30 mins of mostly character scenes are a very welcome addition that make you care more about the cast and makes them more likable. 

Watching the new Denzel OAV is essential before watching the DC.  It introduces Denzel's story and really makes you want to know about what happened to him after he met Cloud.  Making Denzel into a fully developed character really helps AC's directors cut and adds an extra layer to the AC story that feels good at the conclusion.

Overall I think the movie has a great first hour now, and the 2nd hour is good but bogged in action pacing and doesn't really get great until the last 20 mins again.  If Nomura was a better action director, the whole film could be excellent, but he's not and the action scenes outside the Sephiroth battle are kind of ho-hum and just a lot of slashing/punching without much effect (and the music is mixed too low for most of them).  Still, with the DC I really enjoyed the film now (I already liked the original).  It's definitely LEAGUES better than Spirits Within and it's better than a lot of US CG films like Dreamworks stuff.

For a first attempt at trying to actually make a "film", I think it's a very solid effort by Nomura/Nojima.  I'd love to see them make another CG movie using what they've learned, but considering the time and effort it took to make AC I dunno if Square/Nomura will do it again.

Also I gotta say that Crisis Core made AC better.  CC made EVERYTHING FFVII related better.  I was not an FFVII fan until CC.  I mean I thought FFVII was a good game but I didn't care about the world or characters much so all the FFVII spinoffs were whatever.  But Zach was such a great character and by the end of CC I was interested in FFVII's world and Cloud and Aerith because of him.  So his new scenes in Advent Children were great.  Because of Zach, you cared about Cloud.  Which is probably the best they could ever hope to do with a retcon.

cool breeze

« Reply #310 on: April 20, 2009, 10:17:34 AM »
The story in Crisis Core did make Cloud seem like more of a bitch.  Zack was still alright for the most part when he wasn't on about Angeal, but then Angeal was on about Genesis and Genesis was on about Sephiroth and it was all just stupid.  I thought Crisis Core was a weak game.

Himu

« Reply #311 on: April 20, 2009, 10:40:53 AM »
Also I gotta say that Crisis Core made AC better.  CC made EVERYTHING FFVII related better.  I was not an FFVII fan until CC.

What in the fuck.

Genesis made me almost hate Crisis Core. How did CC make anything in FFVII better? We already know what happens; Cloud's a little bitch as ALWAYS and Zack dies.
IYKYK

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #312 on: April 20, 2009, 10:50:57 AM »
i never cared about zack.

dead characters should stay dead.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #313 on: April 20, 2009, 02:51:56 PM »
FUCKING SPOILERS goddammnit

but his girlfriend lives though, right?

Jansen

« Reply #314 on: April 21, 2009, 07:32:15 PM »
got it

time to find out if final fantasy is still worth giving a fuck about

Jansen

« Reply #315 on: April 21, 2009, 07:36:30 PM »
did i somehow travel back in time or did they seriously put this shit in fucking jewel cases?

Bebpo

« Reply #316 on: April 21, 2009, 07:39:12 PM »
did i somehow travel back in time or did they seriously put this shit in fucking jewel cases?

Told you the packaging sucks.

They want you to double dip and buy the standard edition in the cool black blu-ray case.

Jansen

« Reply #317 on: April 21, 2009, 08:37:07 PM »
are you unable to control more than one person or even give your allies commands?

demo was kinda meh.

decent graphics and awesome music but the gameplay was kinda boring

Jansen

« Reply #318 on: April 21, 2009, 08:53:37 PM »
i was seriously expecting more on the graphical side of things

don't get me wrong, it looks good, just nowhere near as good as i was expecting b/c of all the folks jizzing in their pants when they give impressions

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #319 on: April 21, 2009, 08:58:41 PM »
i was seriously expecting more on the graphical side of things

don't get me wrong, it looks good, just nowhere near as good as i was expecting b/c of all the folks jizzing in their pants when they give impressions

You probably have a 14" tv

Jansen

« Reply #320 on: April 21, 2009, 09:09:20 PM »
it looks like snow is wearing a frilly blouse under his jacket.

god will someone kill nomura already

Bebpo

« Reply #321 on: April 21, 2009, 09:11:18 PM »
maybe they did the hair the same way?

nope, seems a lot of people over at the av forums are saying it's a 480p source upscaled. so not quite the same.

square fucking enix. smh.

Yeah, it looked upscaled with the new scenes being true 1080p.  Seems really stupid since all Square had to do was re-render it in 1080p, but Japan loves their pointless 480p upscaled blu-rays!

Himu

« Reply #322 on: April 21, 2009, 09:12:39 PM »
Alright. I got my copy today. I just dusted off FFVII: Advent Children Complete. I'll start with that that. Sorry if these impressions are badly worded and stuff, as I'm pretty tired for some reason right now.

FF7:ACCC - Overall, I think this is a much better film than the original cut. The new scenes to the movie make the plot feel more cohesive. In the original cut, I liked the idea of Geostigma and Denzel but it was hard caring.

For one thing, Denzel's role felt minimal at best despite being a major character in the film. ACC remedies this by not only giving him a back story, but by also making his relationship with Cloud and the gang seem stronger. By the end of the version, I actually cared about the kid. This is helped by the fact that the effects of Geostigma are shown as pretty damn harsh in ACC, where as in the original cut characters inflicted with the disease merely had black marks on their infected areas.

Another issue with the original cut I had was that, while I felt the action was pretty good, the amount of action ruined the story pacing. Every other scene you would have a fight, with almost no dialgoue. In ACC -- in the first half at least -- fights are well paced between interesting character bits of character development and story development.

Finally, my biggest problem with FFVII AC was the treatment of Cloud. Near the end of FFVII, Cloud is born again hard. He sees things from a completely different light and is that much stronger after conquering his fears and past. In AC he's once again brooding and I didn't feel it fit the character. There were some new things, like the flashback with Zack, that helped flesh this matter out. While it didn't completely make me feel alright with what they did to Cloud in AC, I think he's a lot more bearable in the Complete version.

ACC doesn't only make the movie feel more cohesive, but it also draws parallels to other FFVII related media like Crisis Core. It makes the project feel less ham fisted, more complete. At the end of the day, I think all of these changes help form a much better movie that should have been the original cut to begin with. If you even barely liked Advent Children you should check it out. It's not Kingdom of Heaven Directors Cut (the directors cut to end all DC's) but it's a vast improvement.

Final Fantasy XIII - When you first get to command Lightning against the robo scorpion, the game feels quite hands off. It takes a whilte to charge a full ATB bar, you can't control the other party member...It feels weird at first, to me at least, but eventually I got used to it.

There's definitely a learning curve. I found my attacks getting interrupted by enemies constantly. Then I realized that if I waited for them to attack, and then unleash my string of attacks I did much better. This was especially true with the first enemy in the game, the giant robot that smashes the train Zazh and Lightning are riding in.

You will barely do any damage at all to that boss due to its hard shell. The one opportunity to do major damage is when it opens its shell, exposing its weak point. The flipside to this is that when it does open its shell, it's preparing for a huge multi-hit attack on the party. You must hit its weakpoint before it unleashes the attack since once it does hit, you lose your command stock completely due to the damage. You have to start all over and by that time, its shell will already be closed.

Timing is key in these battles, and I like the direction.

It definitely feels like FFX-2 on steroids, but it's far more slow than that game. Probably in part that the AI takes care of the extra party members in the demo.

I even had a game over in the demo. In the fight against the Behemoth he nailed Snow for 700 hp damage when the Behemoth used a launcher and my guys couldn't heal him in time. The fight definitely managed to keep me on my toes and I can't really imagine some of the fights in the full game do the fact you won't have magic at this point.

Like I said, there's definitely a learning curve. By the end of the demo though, I was doing crazy combos and getting ranked 5 Stars. It's extremely fun.

I'm impressed, highly. Especially with the graphics. I think this is the new high standard for Japanese rpgs if this demo is any indication. There's a difference between the fmv and in game graphics, but even that's not that large of a gap anymore.

While it's true the entire demo takes place on one long linear train track, the attention to detail makes up for this. There's a million things to see in the demo; multiple scripted events occur. Whether they're planes flying overhead shooting at the party, explosions that throw Zazh into a panic, your enemies arriving at a specific battle spot a la Chrono Trigger, or even seeing a boss you will fight later on in the demo take out a bunch of people on a bridge below while you sit there completely helpless.

The atmosphere is insane and usually these events are shown from a specific camera angle where the player has no input in camera control. None of these take you out of the action, and it feels straight out of a game made in the west to me. Japanese tend to keep things like this self contained within cutscenes, especially if it's an rpg.

This is definitely Square. They did the same things during the psx era. Remember how say, in FFVIII, where an fmv would pop up and you could move Squall? It makes me feel like that, except there's no fmv doing these events at all. It was impressive then and it's equally as impressive now.

Finally, I'd like to talk about the story. I'm really feeling the cast. Lightning and Snow are both mature characters, and their personalities are immediately likable to me. It's nice to have a mature main character in the series again, which has been a long time coming. Zazh is comic relief, for sure, but to me he feels like a normal guy thrown into a crazy situation. It's obvious he's green.

After playing the demo, I get the feeling this game is going to have quite a bit of death in it. The ending to the demo was pretty touching, I thought. I hope team Nora are dead after that fall.

I can't wait for the full game. At the beginning of the game's development I was skeptical but, I'm after playing the demo I'm glad they're making something actually resembles a Final Fantasy. It's been 7 years (almost 8) since FFX, and I'm hungry.
IYKYK

Jansen

« Reply #323 on: April 21, 2009, 09:30:13 PM »
lol i laughed when all those people died.

best part of the demo by far

Yeah, it looked upscaled with the new scenes being true 1080p.  Seems really stupid since all Square had to do was re-render it in 1080p, but Japan loves their pointless 480p upscaled blu-rays!

advent children is 480p? :|

i guess i don't care that much since i'll probably never watch it but that is pretty lame

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #324 on: April 22, 2009, 12:17:54 AM »
are you unable to control more than one person or even give your allies commands?

demo was kinda meh.

decent graphics and awesome music but the gameplay was kinda boring

you suppsoedly can control other characters but only in the actual game. It was not used in the demo.

Jansen

« Reply #325 on: April 22, 2009, 11:57:05 AM »
oh well. i had playing the demo again last night and using the launch command. air juggles = awesome

dark1x

« Reply #326 on: April 22, 2009, 02:25:20 PM »
OK, that's just ridiculous.  Any chance I ever had of purchasing this Blu-ray release (which was slim to begin with) has been reduced to nothing.  I will not support upscaled bullshit.  CGI films should be the most impressive releases on Blu-ray (Wall-e demonstrates this nicely), so going with a low resolution source just blows my mind.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #327 on: April 22, 2009, 02:41:59 PM »
but if they give you the definitive version now, then you won't buy Advent Children Complete Zero Turbo edition with extra zippers later on. 

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #328 on: April 22, 2009, 05:56:07 PM »
will just download it, no problem.