Author Topic: Borecast Episode 7: Wines That Go With Gaming Laptops, Objectivism, & Lasagna  (Read 18550 times)

tehjaybo

• Kentucky-Bore's Last Hope
I'm not gonna lie, I got a DSi and Pokemon Platinum...  except I like them.  :(

Anyone wanna trade? :B
HURR

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
Pokemon: Platinum  :lol

Doug, hating nintendo is SO 2006, former nintendo fanboys don't care anymore.

yeah, i was kinda aware of my clearly archaic arguments while delivering them, but like any crazy old man, the slights of years past remain my reality :(

plus the ds' crappy-ass hardware STILL irks me
duc

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon

Sucka, think how many painlands and shit you coulda got for that scrilla.
yar

tehjaybo

Sucka, think how many painlands and shit you coulda got for that scrilla.

Haha, I traded my DS Lite and some games in for it, so none.  :P
HURR

Speaking of wine, we got a couple bottles of an Argentinian malbec from our importer friends last night. Can't wait to try it out.

:hyper
野球

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
Will there be a shat pack episode produced sometime?
🍆🍆

I could, uh... talk about Gundams or something, I guess.

:-\

edit: I actually think talking about my wife's interpetive dances that mock JRPG battles or her doing dances during Gundam opening and ending songs would be pretty entertaining.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 08:21:55 PM by distantmantra »
野球

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
You need one of the repubs to talk offer a contranian view on politics. They can be the mainstream conservative voice they've all been lusting for.

FoC should have a segment, but then Doug cuts him off after like 25 seconds and rips him a new one.
野球

Fresh Prince

FoC is a media whore anyway. Siamesedreamer would be a good mix.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
while i don't know if i'd call eel a modern conservative, he has a classical conservative bent. i have the occasional conservative sympathy on certain issues, as well. it's not necessarily a liberal love-in!
duc

Fresh Prince

TA would be too tame. SD is a good mix between majority rational thought, highlighted with occasional glimpses into insanity.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
i dunno, i think toxicadam might be a good guest
duc

Oblivion

You guys gonna ask us plebeians a question for the next podcast?

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
Borecast wouldn't be able to handle the awesome magnitude of my voice. The amazing capability it has to convey ideas would destroy mere mortals

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
other than wanting the irs to take their fucking knee off my throat i have very little interest in politics

99% of the time i probably fall on the liberal/moderate side of social issues

basically i think everyone is suspect, including black jesus

You guys gonna ask us plebeians a question for the next podcast?

i forgot to this time, sorry
sup

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
I'm listening to this now. Who the fuck sounds like a cigarillo? Some guy named doug which one of you is that?

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
i wish i could send you aids through an mp3 file
sup

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
Are you doug? You need to get that lisp checked out buddy.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
TA would be too tame. SD is a good mix between majority rational thought, highlighted with occasional glimpses into insanity.

so you basically want to hear a conservative getting beaten up

are the circle jerks on this board not enough for you
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Are you doug? You need to get that lisp checked out buddy.

i am kevin

your lord and master

sup

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
Whos cory? What is this garbage.

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
degrading to the human condition?  :lol what a cigarillo.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
i know it is hard for you to listen and breath at the same time, so do yourself a favor and stop listening

as a matter of fact you are not allowed to listen anymore, i am banning you from the podcast

sup

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
TA would be a good guest for a right leaning counterpoint.

He isn't insane (FOC) but the podcast attitude isn't one of ripping at each other's throats for having a different opinion.  So you'd want a guest that is a little more level headed than that.
🍆🍆

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
i would rather have synbios as a guest than foc

it is impossible to even partially agree with foc without feeling like an asshole

sup

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
i would rather have synbios as a guest than foc

it is impossible to even partially agree with foc without feeling like an asshole

agreed

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
i don't think you know what you're agreeing to
sup

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
i don't think you know what you're agreeing to

I agree with that too.

tehjaybo

i wish i could send you aids through an mp3 file

Quote of the 'Cast.
HURR

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
Even when attempting self-deprecation, FoC still manages to come off like a smug jackass. 

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
so, do you guys just skip over the se7en challenge stuff, or what

because no one ever mentions it
sup

tehjaybo

I would love to participate.  I just haven't yet.  Can I get a rundown of the specifics of what it is?  Because I'd be interested.
HURR

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
contest rules are in the original post

i meant does anyone bother listening, as i don't recall anyone really mentioning it since we started
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
i see

anyway, here's some pics of our ugly laptops, click to enlarge

Full Specs for the Asus G50VT-X5

Prole enjoys his new Nintendo DSi: 

:nsfw

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
sup

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
The should just change the DSi warping function name to "OptiMiss filter"
:9

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
so, do you guys just skip over the se7en challenge stuff, or what

because no one ever mentions it

Maybe everyone assumes someone else will win the prize.
🍆🍆

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
no, i meant does anyone listen to the discussion over what i played/watched, no one ever mentions it
sup

Ganhyun

• Used to worship Muckhole. Now worships Robo.
no, i meant does anyone listen to the discussion over what i played/watched, no one ever mentions it

I found your discussion of the Garfield game to be decent and better than IGN's.*

*IGN sucks balls so I take ur opinion over them anyway.
XDF

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR

Oh yeah, it's good fun. The pain in your voice was quite palpable this time around. Certainly don't drop the segment.
fek

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
Lasagna rules!  :rock
:)

Robo

I've listened to every episode and this is the first time I've heard of the contest.  I think I habitually ignore contests regardless of whether I'm one of ten people who know about it.  I do enjoy the segment, though.
obo

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
I like the Borecast Se7en challenge, it's amusing. I think Indefensible has stolen the spotlight though, especially after this installment.
HLR

tehjaybo

Official Borecast Prize Pack Rules: We keep forgetting to mention that in addition to the Seven Deadly Turds from the Borecast Se7en Challenge, listeners will also win an eighth, good game. Send the links to your voice reviews to comments@borecast.com - or post your haiku/limerick reviews in the comments section of the show notes at http://www.borecast.com/ Be sure and include an email address (we won't make it public) in the event you're chosen as the winner!

So, is this a review of the Borecast, or a review of a shitty game?
HURR

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
shitty game or movie
sup

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
By the way, announcements are in order. tehjaybo will be joining me for an installment of Nick's Film Reviews very soon. If it isn't the next review (which I promised would be on Behind the Mask) it will be the one after that. Sometime this summer (probably for blockbuster season) brandonh83 from GAF will be joining me for Nick's Film Reviews.
HLR

border

I listened to the segment on Garfield.  Mostly it made me think about why IGN bothers having people review all that low-rent crap.  Are the clicks generated by that text even going to cover the cost of making a freelancer spend a few hours with the game and write about it?  Do they do this just for the prestige that comes with having a review for every obscure piece of shovelware that gets hoisted onto the market?  There can't be more than a couple hundred people interested in reading a Garfield review.....but if IGN reviews every similar piece of software then the aggregate of all those niche reviews probably keeps people at their site.  It's kind of an interesting way to run a gaming site, and I'm curious how much it pays off.

Something like the Borecast 7 challenge might be a little more interesting if the games were announced in advance and they were all games that we could download and play together before listening.  I guess it's not as fun as hand-picking some turd you've never heard of out of the clearance bin at Wal-Mart, but I imagine there's plenty of awful games to be found on Steam or XBox Live (Community Games is a treasure trove of crap as is the iTunes Game Store).  You could have a thread about it specifically, then read responses from that thread on the podcast. 

It might work better for Hulu/Netflix Watch-It-Now movies, because even if you're torturing Kevin with some awful $5 Steam game I'm not sure how many people would really pay to try it out.

Fresh Prince

Actually I'd want a right wing commentator so that I wouldn't have to hear them drowned out by people piling on them when they're trying to make an argument, that can come later after the borecast.

Rman

Another great episode, guys.  Really enjoyed the Indefensible bit.  Doug's disgust was so apparent :lol

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Actually I'd want a right wing commentator so that I wouldn't have to hear them drowned out by people piling on them when they're trying to make an argument, that can come later after the borecast.

haha, fair enough
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
I listened to the segment on Garfield.  Mostly it made me think about why IGN bothers having people review all that low-rent crap.  Are the clicks generated by that text even going to cover the cost of making a freelancer spend a few hours with the game and write about it?  Do they do this just for the prestige that comes with having a review for every obscure piece of shovelware that gets hoisted onto the market?  There can't be more than a couple hundred people interested in reading a Garfield review.....but if IGN reviews every similar piece of software then the aggregate of all those niche reviews probably keeps people at their site.  It's kind of an interesting way to run a gaming site, and I'm curious how much it pays off.

Something like the Borecast 7 challenge might be a little more interesting if the games were announced in advance and they were all games that we could download and play together before listening.  I guess it's not as fun as hand-picking some turd you've never heard of out of the clearance bin at Wal-Mart, but I imagine there's plenty of awful games to be found on Steam or XBox Live (Community Games is a treasure trove of crap as is the iTunes Game Store).  You could have a thread about it specifically, then read responses from that thread on the podcast. 

It might work better for Hulu/Netflix Watch-It-Now movies, because even if you're torturing Kevin with some awful $5 Steam game I'm not sure how many people would really pay to try it out.

those are good ideas, when the contest is over we could transition right into either of these suggestions
sup

Oblivion

Eel, what software do you use to create the podcasts?

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
I was using Pamela Call Recorder to record the skype stream, and Audacity to edit

then I run the edited wav segments through a program called The Levelator, then back to Audacity to assemble and add the bump music

For this episode we each recorded our separate tracks on Audacity using skype as a monitor, and I also used Pamela for a backup in case something went awry - Doug and Cory sent their tracks to me, and I used Audacity to line everything up

there were a couple of hitches, and we got out of sync a couple of times, but overall it wasn't much harder than editing a single track recording

that's the way we'll probably go from now on
sup

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
Listening now, the section on wine is extremely interesting, as someone who is just starting to develop a taste for it... looks like Genghis and I have similar tastes in wine so far.

:bow Gewurztraminer :bow2

Seems like the sound issues have been fixed as well. I need to start pimping the 'cast to some people I know.

Bloodwake: Yeah, there's an Adventureland in Farmingdale, though I'm not sure whether or not the film was based off that one in specific... I think it was a place in Pennsylvania or something in the film.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 11:40:22 AM by tiesto »
^_^

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
I bet Doug really regretted not picking a Poniez title lol. I vote that the next challenge is about a movie, it would be interesting to learn what could be the most torturous movie you guys could think of.

American Carol comes immediately to mind for either participant
Tonya

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
i picked up TWO movies for kevin today -- a comedy and an action film. i think they're a little less awful than michael -- barely.
duc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
eric, send me it and i will watch and defend it
duc

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
i can hardly...wait

i cut out a story about me getting a tooth broken

sup

Robo

Prole should be forced to see the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band movie if he has not done so already.
obo

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
eric, send me it and i will watch and defend it

Prole defending american carol: "it's....in color?"
Tonya