Author Topic: 0_0 -_* 0_0 Excitebots  (Read 1607 times)

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
0_0 -_* 0_0 Excitebots
« on: April 22, 2009, 05:10:00 AM »
Holy shit... there are no words.  I just nabbed a powerup that spawns a cascade of 1 ton anvils to rain destruction upon my opponents. All from the safety of flying a mile high in the sky.  Excitetruck is retroactively game of 06 for setting the groundwork here.

I don't care if you pirate it, this is life-affirming shit ryecheer.

Only knocks are no wiispeak support and its 30 fps.  Online is setup similar to mariokart but with the option to place bets on yourself.
sad

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: 0_0 -_* 0_0 Excitebots
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 05:13:54 AM »
nobody is gonna pirate this crap :lol
fat

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 05:18:24 AM »
Oh golly, master hand just flattened me. I botched the bar release! Wait...
NICE RECOVERY!
Only two stars? Shenanigans! Vroom Vroom.
sad

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 05:33:45 AM »
I've purchased 5 retail and even more ware games and only traded in one this year. I have like 20+ purchases currently being anticipated.  Sorry killzone and co. were duds, you should get with the times.

Apparently super sandwich is only in select levels :[.  Hummingbird bot is sexy but I'd rather keep my 2500 for buffering my online winnings.  Hmmm, decisions.

edit: and fuck half-hearted attempts at maturity.  I'm going to be a pissy easily riled defensive fanboy about this.  Excitebots is from here on out sancrosinct.  Your parents failed you Demi. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 05:41:30 AM by EmCeeGrammar »
sad

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 05:53:54 AM »
I've purchased 5 retail and even more ware games and only traded in one this year. I have like 20+ purchases currently being anticipated.  Sorry killzone and co. were duds, you should get with the times.

Apparently super sandwich is only in select levels :[.  Hummingbird bot is sexy but I'd rather keep my 2500 for buffering my online winnings.  Hmmm, decisions.

edit: and fuck half-hearted attempts at maturity.  I'm going to be a pissy easily riled defensive fanboy about this.  Excitebots is from here on out sancrosinct.  Your parents failed you Demi. 

its just so hard for me to CARE cause im so depressed woe is me :[
fat

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 06:15:59 AM »
It has the word EXCITE in the title whats wrong with you what don't you understand.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
it has achievements too
[close]
sad

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 09:52:09 AM »
Is the control as sensitive and shitty as Excitetruck?
^_^

cool breeze

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 10:07:06 AM »
I watched some videos and stopped my pre-order.  Excitebots looks like one of those games where the crazy shit could be entertaining if you were really young and/or have massive ADD.  Instead of refining and making what was good about Excite Trucks better, it looks like they just added a bunch of stupid shit to the stages with some gaudy vehicles to drive in instead.  The only entertaining part of the vehicles I saw was the "Nice Tambourine!" because it reminded me of Detroit Metal City, but other than that it looks like a snore compared to Excite Trucks. 

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 01:44:19 PM »
I watched some videos and stopped my pre-order.  Excitebots looks like one of those games where the crazy shit could be entertaining if you were really young and/or have massive ADD.  Instead of refining and making what was good about Excite Trucks better, it looks like they just added a bunch of stupid shit to the stages with some gaudy vehicles to drive in instead.  The only entertaining part of the vehicles I saw was the "Nice Tambourine!" because it reminded me of Detroit Metal City, but other than that it looks like a snore compared to Excite Trucks. 

well, Smash Bros is a popular game design
乱学者

CHOW CHOW

• Iconzzzzz.... zzzzz
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 01:50:23 PM »
what an absolutely vile nfag
hey

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 01:53:00 PM »
I remember when I used to pass my opponent in ExciteTruck because I had a cleaner racing line and I was making better use of boost and cooldowns. Random anvils sound great too though

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 02:25:30 PM »
Is the control as sensitive and shitty as Excitetruck?

I'd say it's better.  Tree runs are easier to pull off and you don't go into drift as effortlessly as before.  Super spins are way easier to pull off.

sad

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 02:27:08 PM »
I remember when I used to pass my opponent in ExciteTruck because I had a cleaner racing line and I was making better use of boost and cooldowns. Random anvils sound great too though

Yes because there wasn't pow icons or ways to throw vehicles with terrain deformations.
sad

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 02:47:56 PM »
Both were used more to give yourself benefit than to destroy your opponent.

Arbys Roast Beef Sandwich

• •••
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 03:38:14 PM »

ding ding ding

Pretty much echoes my sentiments. Well, I might give it a shot and rent it.
うぐう

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 03:40:05 PM »

Yes because there wasn't pow icons or ways to throw vehicles with terrain deformations.

a POW icon ??? that sounds like to a "reference" to 1983's Mario Bros.!!! :o

I <3 Nintendo :-[
乱学者

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 04:11:18 PM »
Both were used more to give yourself benefit than to destroy your opponent.

Alot of the stunts and tricks here require a certain line.  There's still tree groves with small paths. Leg form turns into glider which spawns butterflies that have to be collected during descent . Pie face/dart/soccer/field goal/bowlingpins are similar to each other and are designed as drive-by events.  There's still a good amount of areas to strategically cut across and plenty of wet to strategize boosting.

The only "detriment" (whatevah) is the occassional wacky assault thing like hammer/bomb/chattering teeth.  But they interfere about as much as a banana from Mario Kart. And I'm pretty sure you said you LIKED mario kart Wii.
sad

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 04:12:22 PM »

a POW icon ??? that sounds like to a "reference" to 1983's Mario Bros.!!! :o

I <3 Nintendo :-[

Its better than Nintendogs! 41/40!
sad

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 04:59:21 PM »
From the IGN review:

8.0    Presentation
Ugly interface, but a great selection of options, from the amazing online mode to the assortment of mini-games and collectibles.

8.0    Graphics
A pretty Wii game. Big, detailed race tracks blaze by. Humorous and simultaneously interesting vehicle designs. Fluid animation and effects. Framerate never slows.

5.0    Sound
While the sound effects are more than adequate, the music falls into the generic realm. And the omission of SD card support is missed.

8.5    Gameplay
Frenzied, fantastic fun. Non-stop speed, jumps and trick. Tight controls. A variety of gameplay modes. You'll have a great time.

8.0    Lasting Appeal
Much improved over Excite Trucks thanks in large to the new mini-games and truly compelling online mode.

8.4   Overall
dog

dammitmattt

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 12:07:10 AM »
Should be a decent rental, like Excite Truck, but I'm appalled at the embarrassing art, so I'm not sure if I'll even let my wife know that I'm playing it, and she even liked the first game (she doesn't play many games).

It still amazes me how excited Wii fans get for mediocre games, but when you're stranded in the desert, even the tiniest bit of water looks like a fucking ocean.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2009, 12:09:02 AM »
And the omission of SD card support is missed.

lol.
fat

cool breeze

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2009, 01:25:21 AM »
ok, I tried this out earlier.  It's actually a bit worse than I was expecting, but part of that comes with how different it is from Excite Truck.  It's really straight forward races with the stupid shit items set up for you to hit as you go along.  It's not so much of a pure racing game anymore than a Warioware / QTE / Racing game mash up.  Excite Trucks is way better in that it's a lot of fun; Excitebots is boring, has really bad music and is awkward to look at.

Best thing I can say about the game is that it makes me want to play Excite Truck...and the new way you recover from crashes is better than hitting '2' I guess.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2009, 01:25:57 AM »
But do you miss the SD support? Do you?
fat

cool breeze

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2009, 01:29:44 AM »
the omission of it takes me to the realm of feeling it lacks visceral demand of my ears

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2009, 02:31:52 AM »
ok, I tried this out earlier.  It's actually a bit worse than I was expecting, but part of that comes with how different it is from Excite Truck.  It's really straight forward races with the stupid shit items set up for you to hit as you go along.  It's not so much of a pure racing game anymore than a Warioware / QTE / Racing game mash up.  Excite Trucks is way better in that it's a lot of fun; Excitebots is boring, has really bad music and is awkward to look at.

Best thing I can say about the game is that it makes me want to play Excite Truck...and the new way you recover from crashes is better than hitting '2' I guess.

Eh how important were 'pure racing' elements to Excitetruck?  If I won it was because I did a better job acting on the fly with stunts, and not racing the best line or taking a corner optimally. Did you notice the stunts that require you to stay in place (bars or go slower (butterfly rescue) give out huge bonuses to compensate?  Its not like the 50 star 1st place+finish flag bonus don't provide an incentive to place higher.

I think you're overanalysing it duder.
sad

etiolate

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 02:40:11 AM »
aww why did they take out the sd card support?

Anyways, this is one of those nonsensical ideas of fun that use to be more common. I'll probably pick it up.

cool breeze

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2009, 02:44:47 AM »

Eh how important were 'pure racing' elements to Excitetruck?  If I won it was because I did a better job acting on the fly with stunts, and not racing the best line or taking a corner optimally. Did you notice the stunts that require you to stay in place (bars or go slower (butterfly rescue) give out huge bonuses to compensate?  Its not like the 50 star 1st place+finish flag bonus don't provide an incentive to place higher.

I think you're overanalysing it duder.

Quite important.  Just don't take 'pure racing' so literally to mean you versus other cars to the finish.  The ways you earned stars in Excite Truck was part of the race; whether it was the tree run or getting big air, you still had to focus on the race.  It was like what Burnout does, except instead of refilling boost, it gave you stars.  Excitebots was more just getting points, not getting points while actually racing.

I could under analyze it and just say that Excitebots is boring compared to Excite Trucks.  I'm just explaining my reasoning for why it's so.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2009, 02:49:42 AM »

Typical Nintendo protocol of removing a feature, only to restore it in a later version and be lauded by ninthings as listening to their fans
itm

Rman

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2009, 02:59:58 AM »
Which team developed this game?

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2009, 03:23:26 AM »

Typical Nintendo protocol of removing a feature, only to restore it in a later version and be lauded by ninthings as listening to their fans

It's removed for the same reason a Wii can play dvd movies but never will.  Nintendo doesn't want to pay the liscence/royalties for mp3 and dvd capability.
sad

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2009, 03:24:20 AM »
Which team developed this game?

Monster Games. I think they did nascar games before this.

edit: It's cool if you just find it boring. But I disagree.  I'm still focusing on the race while weighing the options of higher placement.  Sometimes I'll skip a butterfly rescue on the last lap if I think that I have a better chance of getting 50 or 25 bonus + finish flag instead of only 20 for rescuing all butterflies.  Now the betting aspect online makes placement and finishing quickly verrrrrry important.  For every second after you finish, you gain a star for people who haven't.  Higher placement yields bigger multipliers for any bets you placed, and those coming in last can potentially lose all their money.  I'd say its worth a rental to understand the balancing act Monster was going for here.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 03:32:31 AM by EmCeeGrammar »
sad