Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3703562 times)

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #28740 on: November 09, 2016, 11:17:13 PM »
Starbound turned out well after being in development for 3+ years. Kinda like Terraria except not as combat-focused. TBH the combat is pretty piss-poor. Procedurally generated enemies across 4 quadrillion planets ALL headbutt you as a means of attack. Every planet also has flying things that attack only at night.  And it seems that they yanked quite a bit of complete features from the game before it went to 1.0. Not sure why.

But if you like building sandbox games, it's pretty good. Endgame content needs to be expanded.

« Reply #28741 on: November 09, 2016, 11:18:39 PM »
Is anyone here ever like fuck I got so many good games wtf do I even play

Paralysis of choice.

Bebpo

« Reply #28742 on: November 10, 2016, 01:29:56 AM »
Dishonored - Did the first real level.  Was really big & long with a bunch of areas, optional areas, quests, loot.  Was a little fatigued by the end of the stage, but there's not much else like it.  Very rpg x stealth FPS hybrid.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28743 on: November 10, 2016, 01:43:11 AM »
Dishonored is basically the proper follow-up to the Thief series that Thief 4 ended up not being.
dog

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #28744 on: November 10, 2016, 09:48:38 AM »
Dishonored is basically the proper follow-up to the Thief series that Thief 4 ended up not being.

Pretty much, you even steal stuff like cash and stuff. I really liked Dishonored.
What

Freyj

« Reply #28745 on: November 10, 2016, 07:15:01 PM »
Just found out that Tyranny is out today. I had no idea it was anywhere near that close. I'm gonna be so behind in my backlog now.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #28746 on: November 10, 2016, 07:16:47 PM »
Yeah. I actually thought about going back to Pillars to do the DLC, but I might as well skip it.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #28747 on: November 10, 2016, 07:23:13 PM »
Just found out that Tyranny is out today. I had no idea it was anywhere near that close. I'm gonna be so behind in my backlog now.

Actually, tyranny was announced on November 8th, but isn't on shelves until January 20, 2017.

Freyj

« Reply #28748 on: November 10, 2016, 07:56:00 PM »

Actually, tyranny was announced on November 8th, but isn't on shelves until January 20, 2017.

:stahp

Bebpo

« Reply #28749 on: November 11, 2016, 04:09:27 AM »
Got about 5 hours in on Tyranny and got to the 2nd Act.  1st Act was good fun but a bit linear with binary group A or group B choices for the most part.  It's kind of a mix between choose your own adventure interactive fiction games like 80 Days & Pillars combat with a simplified reputation system from Fallout.  Act II's opened up a bit and seems a lot more interesting and more like a normal rpg.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #28750 on: November 13, 2016, 07:49:37 PM »
 With the current PlayStation sale going on, I picked up bully and started playing it for the fourth time. The music is perfect, the brawling system is exciting and fun, the stories are playful, and the voice acting is wonderful.  This is my first PlayStation 2 classics title, so I was a little worried at the outset when the opening movie, which I had always assumed was in engine, look blurry as hell. But as soon as the game started, everything was crisp and tight, and the frame rate has been good.

Bebpo

« Reply #28751 on: November 13, 2016, 09:40:12 PM »
Beat Tyranny
Wish it was this easy in real life  :maf

Finished my first run in about 22-23 hours.  Did everything I could, although the bronze brotherhood was glitched for me so I couldn't activate the Lethian Crossing storyline to get into the oldwalls dungeon and get the final rubbing.  So I just cheated and found the rubbing online to get up the spire.

The way I glitched Lethian's Crossing quest was:
-Go to Lethian's Crossing and fight the brotherhood on the bridge
-Be on Disfavored route
-After Stalwart (here's where it glitches):
spoiler (click to show/hide)
When I had the choice to kill the baby, if I kill the baby and go back to Ashe, he gives me the choice to address Lethian or Burning Library next.  However if I don't kill the baby and search for a way to save it, he gives me only Burning Library and when I'm done with that he moves to marching on Stone Seas and Lethian's Crossing questline just vanishes.
[close]

Also had some minor glitches where I couldn't report one of the side quests because the quest giver vanished off the map :|

Normally when I play choice driven rpgs I tend to play pretty much complete paragon/good route.  So even though this had some fun evil options I still tried to take what seemed the most good route.  Was a little bummed at some of the evil stuff I couldn't avoid.  Here's what happened in my route:

Joined the Disfavored since they generally seemed like honorable decent military and Ashe was like Santa Clause dad, they got out of line sometimes but I mainly kept them in check.  Killed Voices of Nerats/Scarlet Chorus murderer/rapist gang, got Tunon to bend the knee and Ashe as well so kept it as bloodless as possible. 

Bad things that I was unable to avoid:
-Archon Carne.  When the earthshakers wanted to fuck up the entire stone sea region to take out the scarlet chorus, I was like this is fucked up yo and I told that to Ashe who got pissed but said he appreciated my insight and still gave them the go ahead.  I was hoping the game would give me an option to sabotage their plan without betraying the alliance, but didn't see an option.  Would've liked to fuck up their plan and just go take out the Scarlet Chorus instead saving the Stone Seas.

-Stoneshakers beast tribe.  I tried using friendly talks with them, but they'd always reject it (even though I saved the guy in Hedge whatever) and so I ended up having to kill them all :(  Luckily Kills-in-Shadows seemed to understand.

-Beat the Vendrions Well, Unbroken rebel groups.  Looks like there's a way to go that rebel route, but couldn't figure it out.  Also accidently wiped out all the Sages because I went to get a captive and they attacked me!  Then I saved their member the next location over and he goes "hey, you should go back and talk to Rentera, she'll totally be on your side to take out the Scarlet Chorus at the Burning Librarby" kinda late when she attacked me on the way there and ended up dead.
[close]

Gameplay-wise, outside of some weak pathfanding and AI characters not using their skills enough, I really enjoyed the battle system.  Mixed around my party a bit and there's some interesting team setups.  On hard the game is solidly challenging and was turn-pausing it for a while, but I like that sometimes when it's easier and you just wanna steamroll through you can auto-fight with turbo mode and no pausing and just blow through.  I felt around the last 20% of the game the difficulty suddenly got MUCH EASIER, I think that was around when everyone was getting their final skill tree skills and artifact equipment/weapons.  Siren getting 2 songs at a time really made a difference for my party.  She is great constant buffers/debuffer with 2 songs going.

I felt magic was kinda underpowered and in the last 1/3rd I moved from 2 melee, 2 casters to 3 melee & Sirin as my only caster/healer.  Stuff like false pit making enemies prone was good and buffs/debuffs were but eventually skills/artifacts did those better.  Caster debuff magic to silence in a straight line was always helpful.  I never found any really damaging spells, plus I didn't like how spells a lot of times had low accuracy with my casters so you'd waste a queue only to miss it anyways (best spells seemed like ones that hit a bunch of targets so even if they missed on one or two they'd hit the others).  I felt in general a lot of the moves/spells lacked impact or major damage.  Sure the team combo ones were nice, but they were sloooow to pull off and leave the characters open.  I really liked using Kills-in-Shadows in the last 1/3rd because here dash move felt impactful as she'd slam through and knock a line of enemies down and then do an extra 40% damage to the prone enemies.  My MC was a 2H Melee character and I never felt he had the strong hit impact skills like that.  In fact, pretty much all his skills were just single enemy walk up and strike them outside like one multi-hit slash that did weak damage (.80x). 

Combat was still real fun though, just felt like a low level underdog campaign.  Which is ironic because the story is fairly short (not too short though) yet the power levels story-wise are crazy and your MC is supposedly going from a normal guy to ridiculous power taking out armies and stuff all within the timespan of this short story and combat-wise you're still going around poking guys for 50 damage maxing out at level 13 or 14.  Just sorta a disconnect there.

In fact on the scope size, even though I think the length is fine, certain aspects of the game feel like they were built for a much bigger game.  Like I just got my party member's final skill (or some didn't even get there) right before the end, and I was only just able to build an artifact weapon right at the final boss fight.  I never even used any of the support potions and those seemed like they'd be fairly useful especially when you have an infirmary and could build out what you want.  Like the gameplay systems seem like they could go for a 30-40 hour game even though the story is 20-25.

I feel like the replayability is alright.  The game doesn't remind me of Alpha Protocol at all which is what I was hoping for (my favorite branching game ever), but it feels like a smaller scope, mini-Fallout New Vegas from the Tribal War factions to the way reputation is handled between them to the 3rd act and ending stills.  Which is great.  Fallout NV was awesome, and I'm quite happy with a mini-NV campaign here with D&D combat.  I can see there being enough really unique content for at least a second playthrough as the other army (I'm assuming act II plays out very differently if you are on the other side) and I'm really curious how the
rebel faction
[close]
playthrough goes and if it's unique enough to make a 3rd playthrough its own thing.  I'm not a big fan of replaying games, so I probably won't play it again but definitely will check out some guides/youtubes once their up to see how things go down in some of the other branches.

For the most part, especially when the ending rolled, I felt like it did a pretty good job being an rpg where it's your story and you make a bunch of choices and go down your own route and the ending reflects that.  I think maybe there were a couple parts where you could have had more leeway, but I'm satisfied.

Definitely was worth a play.  I still haven't played Pillars or Dungeon Siege III, but haven't played a bad Obsidian game yet.  Tyranny joins their lineup of interesting & quality games.

Freyj

« Reply #28752 on: November 14, 2016, 12:07:43 AM »
Obsidian  :rejoice

I had to quit the character creation last night because I thought I'd have enough time before going to bed and by the time I hit the second or third choice on Conquest I'd sunk an hour or so.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28753 on: November 14, 2016, 09:50:29 AM »
Dungeon Siege III

It's solidly built, but just dull. Don't bother.
dog

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #28754 on: November 14, 2016, 09:56:50 AM »
I actually installed Dungeon Siege 3 on my X1 (it runs via BC) this morning. Not because of your shill post, though.

Weekend gaming:

- Platinumed Until Dawn (so good)
- Messed with Dragon Quest Heroes (will definitely play more)
- Jumped back into Unravel (everything about this game is so clean)
fat

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #28755 on: November 14, 2016, 10:05:34 AM »
Dungeon Siege III

It's solidly built, but just dull. Don't bother.
Yup. Not really worth your time, unless you're hankering for a Dark Alliance style ARPGs.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #28756 on: November 14, 2016, 10:41:36 AM »
Made it to the boss of the ice mountain in Xanadu Next, nearing the end of chapter 3 in DQ Builders.
^_^

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #28757 on: November 14, 2016, 12:51:12 PM »
Girlfriend and I have been playing through the Gears games from the beginning. We're on the last boss of 3 and I forgot what a fucking nightmare it is. They must have took a lot of complaints from the ending of 2 which was basically a win button and went the complete opposite.
nat

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #28758 on: November 15, 2016, 01:03:30 AM »
Elite Dangerous really is a great space travel sim, getting high and falling asleep at the controls is v. immersive

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #28759 on: November 15, 2016, 01:34:45 PM »
Signed up for EA Access on my PC the other day to test out my new 1080 and downloaded Mirror's Edge Catalyst. Running the game at 60fps in 4k with Hyper settings....holy shit.  That's fucking crazy to look at.
Tacos

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #28760 on: November 15, 2016, 10:44:42 PM »
Playing Dishonored 2!

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #28761 on: November 16, 2016, 10:53:07 PM »
http://imgur.com/m9QIjLy

Show dem titties
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #28762 on: November 17, 2016, 04:12:54 AM »
Beat Dishonored 1, good game.  I liked the last 25% or so the best after

you're poisoned and betrayed
[close]

because that section flows like an ongoing engaging narrative that's challenging and open in design.  The game until then with "go to this mission map and take out this target -> warp back to hub -> repeat" was good but story-wise felt kinda of disconnected and so I'd just play one stage and put it down and play another stage another day.  Whereas the last 25% I played through because it kept going in a good way.  I don't really think the powers break the game, I feel like without the powers the game isn't particularly fun and the game is balanced pretty well to the powers with enemies everywhere and they can see really far.  I played on hard so combat would basically kill me so I did ghost runs almost all the stages.  In one of the stages near the end though I got pissed off and took on an entire army of like a dozen guys in a hallway by spawning rats at their feet and then lobbing grenades as they were stuck.  Was fun.

I liked how many options the game gave you if you had upgraded your powers.  Like if you had the rat possession powers there might be a unique way into an area that you otherwise wouldn't have available.  And like for the mission in the fancy noble ballroom party I was trying to do the no kill assassination but I couldn't figure out a way to get the lady down into the cellar and there's a billion civilians in the main hall so I'm not gonna just knock her out and carry her down.  But then I thought about upgrading my possession skill to take control of human characters and used all my runes on it (luckily had just the right amount), so I tried possessing the target and it worked and I just walked her right down where I needed her away from others.  The open flexibility of stealth + powers gave a lot of gameplay freedom.

The downside is because the gameplay is very free form, the actual assassinations sometimes don't have that scripted huge epic scene feel to them.  This was especially apparent in the final stage where you're killing off major characters but there's not much dramatic about it.  For the final boss I just teleported to the rail above him and jumped down and assassinated him.

Still a cool game.  Nice length too.  Took me around 13 hours and I just started the first DLC and got about an hour into it.  I liked the setting a lot, but I kinda wish they went into some of the mysterious fantasy world lore stuff more.  Like with the ancient gods, the whales, and when I was in the ballroom there was this NPC conversation about them discovering another city that used to exist below there.  The lore definitely seems interesting, but it's just background in this game.  Does Dishonored 2 do more stuff with the weird lore?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28763 on: November 17, 2016, 09:42:21 AM »
Make sure you do the Knife of Dunwall/Brigmore Witches DLC, they're both really good.

You play from the perspective of the assassin who killed the empress.
[close]
dog

Freyj

« Reply #28764 on: November 17, 2016, 01:50:56 PM »
Tyranny's perspective on the number of encounters in a given area is a really refreshing one. On hard I feel like there are maybe 2 easier and 2 challenging encounters per map. You spend less time cleaning up trash and more time in encounters that mimic the better boss fights in Pillars. That coupled with more diplomatic solutions is pretty much ideal (to me) for this kind of game

It also has a way of making just about every choice feel difficult. Few are without negative consequences.

Bebpo

« Reply #28765 on: November 17, 2016, 03:04:37 PM »
Yeah, I liked how in Tyranny any set of enemies under like 4 enemies I could just like AI auto fight on turbo mode and blow through grunts and then actually pause moment by moment and control the fight on the tougher mobs/bosses.  And yes, there's a lot of tough choices where there's not really the choice you want so you're forced to choose. 

Although I saw how Obsidian did a Fallout 1/2 tribute where the game has a silent protag run and it's pretty funny from what I saw.

Make sure you do the Knife of Dunwall/Brigmore Witches DLC, they're both really good.

You play from the perspective of the assassin who killed the empress.
[close]

Yeah, got about an hour into Dunwall last night, the art design is stellar on the whale factory.

One thing though, I checked imdb to see if I recognized any voice actors/actresses and what the fuck at all these hollywood celebrities voicing relatively minor roles.  Like that must have cost $$$ and out of all these AA/AAA games, why Dishonored?  Like they got Lena Headey to voice...the maid in the base hub?  Michael Madson as Duad?  Susan Sarandon as old crazy Granny?  Just really odd they spent the money for hollywood on this game, and only for the minor roles so they could record all the lines in a day.  The characters who show up every stage and have more voice are videogame voice crew.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28766 on: November 17, 2016, 03:50:41 PM »
And Dishonored 2 has Rosario Dawson, Vincent D'Onofrio, and Sam Rockwell.
dog

El Babua

« Reply #28767 on: November 17, 2016, 10:34:14 PM »
Bethesda's been all about celebrity cameos in their games for as long as I remember.

They published a game that was made for the sole purpose of Mickey Rourke to be in it.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #28768 on: November 18, 2016, 02:50:07 AM »
Trails of Cold Steel's final boss theme makes me cum

fat

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #28769 on: November 18, 2016, 02:54:56 AM »
Is anyone here ever like fuck I got so many good games wtf do I even play

yes
I just keep playing Overwatch

Bebpo

« Reply #28770 on: November 18, 2016, 02:59:52 AM »
Trails of Cold Steel's final boss theme makes me cum

Yup, CS2 has some sick guitar rock too.

I've been told that JDK Band disbanded after CS2 and the new JDK Band with new members isn't as good.  Tokyo Xanadu OST wasn't as good (was ok), but I chalked that up to most of the tracks being CS reject tracks, the real test is gonna be Ys8's OST and then...CS3.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #28771 on: November 18, 2016, 03:10:11 AM »
I'm about to finish Cold Steel. Now I have to immediately buy CS2... nooo
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28772 on: November 18, 2016, 08:12:21 AM »
I'm liking Fate/Extella so much that I decided to go and check out its prequel, Fate/Extra, on the PSP.  While Extella is a musou game, Extra, is a dungeon-crawler RPG similar to Persona.  I just wanted to check the game out real quick, but really got into the story and the next thing I knew, an hour and a half had gone by.  I like that the setting is kind of like you being trapped in a magical version of the Matrix. Pretty freaky how the intro plays out especially.

Then I decided to boot up the PS3 after a good year and a half of having not touched it.  Played some Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter 5 FS (online was completely dead), and Street Fighter III Third Strike.  The latter still had a pretty healthy online population, at least in ranked.  I was getting matches left and right.
ど助平

archie4208

« Reply #28773 on: November 18, 2016, 08:18:01 AM »
I completed Bloodborne.  I enjoyed the faster pace of combat and the level design, however I feel the levels look a bit too samey compared to the Souls games as there are few unique landmarks to remember and help with your internal map.

ayy lmaos outta nowhere was a nice swerve
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #28774 on: November 18, 2016, 09:55:48 AM »
I'm liking Fate/Extella so much that I decided to go and check out its prequel, Fate/Extra, on the PSP.  While Extella is a musou game, Extra, is a dungeon-crawler RPG similar to Persona.  I just wanted to check the game out real quick, but really got into the story and the next thing I knew, an hour and a half had gone by.  I like that the setting is kind of like you being trapped in a magical version of the Matrix. Pretty freaky how the intro plays out especially.

Then I decided to boot up the PS3 after a good year and a half of having not touched it.  Played some Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter 5 FS (online was completely dead), and Street Fighter III Third Strike.  The latter still had a pretty healthy online population, at least in ranked.  I was getting matches left and right.

Your praise for Extella got me interested, watched some videos and I like the speed and graphics are solid.  Is the combat/combo depth about on par with Sengoku Basara?  If it's not too shallow I'll pick up the cheaper US release next year.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28775 on: November 18, 2016, 12:09:48 PM »

Your praise for Extella got me interested, watched some videos and I like the speed and graphics are solid.  Is the combat/combo depth about on par with Sengoku Basara?  If it's not too shallow I'll pick up the cheaper US release next year.

It's not as free-form as Basara and there's no special moves.  I think the best way to describe it is to say that it's like playing a Koei musou with combo strings that get larger/offer more options as you level up, only movement speed is faster and you're generally more 'mobile' in the way you run around and jump.  There's a dedicated dash button, and while it doesn't have attack properties (although maybe one of the power-up items offers this?  Not sure yet), it draws enemies onto you and you can then go into an attack animation to take them out.  You can also do some smaller air combos and there appears to be a parry system in place-- I guarded an attack and Saber countered it when I hit the block button.

The maps are more akin to Basara.  You don't have open battlefields, but rather smaller self-contained 'zones' that you have to clear out and enemies can come back to them and take them over again.  Enemy general-types can also move around them and change which zones they're inhabiting.

My main complaint right now is that there's not enough enemy variety, especially with the basic grunts. 

I'm having a lot of fun with the game, and while I think Basara is still the champ when it comes to character depth and uniqueness in these games, I do like this more than the latest Basara Sanada-focused game that quietly came out this past summer.  But to be fair...that's like the second expansion to SB4 and it's time for SB5 already.
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #28776 on: November 18, 2016, 10:06:16 PM »
Just finished Unravel - what an amazing little game. The graphics are so clean, the music is absolutely amazing, and the "story" is feels territory. Loved it, give it a try if you can.
fat

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #28777 on: November 19, 2016, 12:34:42 AM »
I got the physical version of Unravel a few weeks ago that comes with the Yarny doll, haven't given the game a try yet. Looks pretty cool, reminiscent of the LBP series.
^_^

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #28778 on: November 19, 2016, 11:50:30 PM »
Played through Maverick Hunter X because why not. This game is doodoo compared to the original. LOL
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #28779 on: November 20, 2016, 12:34:24 AM »
Dishonored 1 DLCs are long.  I'm on the 3rd stage now in DLC1 which I assume is the last one.  But considering the main game which is like 13-15 hours long is only 8 or 9 stages, if each DLC is 3 stages for 6 stages total that means they're like 2/3rds the length of the entire main game.  Knife of Dunwell stages have been great, definitely enjoying it but I am getting a little burnt out now at 16-17 hours.  Gonna finish the DLCs but then I'm probably good on Dishonored for a few years and I'll check out D2 when it's like $10.  Fwiw, I expected the DLCs to be like 1 big stage each, so they've far surpassed what I expected, great value.

Just finished Unravel - what an amazing little game. The graphics are so clean, the music is absolutely amazing, and the "story" is feels territory. Loved it, give it a try if you can.

Nice.  I'll play Mirror's Edge 2 & this when I sub for EA Access Vault for a month maybe in Dec or Jan.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #28780 on: November 20, 2016, 08:28:35 AM »
Played through Maverick Hunter X because why not. This game is doodoo compared to the original. LOL

WRONG GTFO

hard mode alone makes the (mostly unchanged) game better, but playing as Vile is a ton of fun and completely switches up the gameplay
pcp

SantaC

« Reply #28781 on: November 20, 2016, 02:36:36 PM »

really great game.

Freyj

« Reply #28782 on: November 20, 2016, 08:39:18 PM »
After the Conquest / Act 1 prologue, Act 2 of Tyranny is a little bit disappointing. It took about 3-4 hours of talking and traveling before I hit any combat in Act 2. I love Torment as much as the next guy, but it just felt a little poorly paced here. If I was on a different route, maybe that wouldn't have been the case.

I kind of ended up in a weird place with the alliances / reputations, but I guess I'm supposed to be here if I'm not down with some really horrific shit and I didn't make the right choices to open up the rebel route in Act 1. There really should be more than one narrow set of choices that allow for that particular route. The others seem occasionally extremely clumsy if you aren't RPing a bloodthirsty asshole.
[close]

Still, the combat is great. Most excited for Pillars 2 after playing this.

Bebpo

« Reply #28783 on: November 20, 2016, 08:41:26 PM »
Yeah, there's not a ton combat in the game.  I'm ok with that because I try to talk my way out of every fight anyhow, but then there are story arcs where you do nothing but combat for an hour, so it's still there.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #28784 on: November 20, 2016, 09:21:35 PM »
EVE Online is F2P now so I decided to start a new account. I already feel like I understand the game more. When I first played I hadn't played other MMO's like WOW. They also have definitely polished up the tutorial stuff.
nat

Bebpo

« Reply #28785 on: November 20, 2016, 10:22:03 PM »
At the end of DLC2 for Dishonored.  Man, the colors & art direction are so much nicer in the DLC than the main game.  I mean the main game looks fine and all but for the most part it just looks like grey foggy muted color City 17 London.  Otoh, the DLC is just gorgeous colors everywhere.  Guess this is a preview for how Dishonored 2 will look!

Some Steam screenshots I took (giant-size)

[close]

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #28786 on: November 20, 2016, 11:05:47 PM »
Finished DQ7 and now on to Pokemon. My initial thoughts on Pokemon moon is that the tutorial time on this game goes on for-ev-uh.
que

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #28787 on: November 20, 2016, 11:08:53 PM »
At the end of DLC2 for Dishonored.  Man, the colors & art direction are so much nicer in the DLC than the main game.  I mean the main game looks fine and all but for the most part it just looks like grey foggy muted color City 17 London.  Otoh, the DLC is just gorgeous colors everywhere.  Guess this is a preview for how Dishonored 2 will look!

[close]

I became briefly excited at your screenshots, and then remembered that my copy of the main game and DLC is on 360.  :'(

Bebpo

« Reply #28788 on: November 21, 2016, 03:44:32 AM »
Beat Dishonored DLC expansion.  For the DLC2, Brigmore Witches I finally pulled off a no-kill low chaos stealth run.  Was not good enough to do that in the main game, also fucked up early on, and then DLC1 I just didn't give a fuck because I'm an assassin.  But DLC2, especially with the new pull power (which should've been in the main game from the start.  Pulling keys off guys and stuff is great), I was able to do it.  Although that last stage with teleporting witches & immortal ghost dogs wtf was a bit tough.

So yeah, after like 20 hours, that was a good game.  The DLC expansion is better than the main game imo, it's a little shorter but tighter, has all the good parts (gang wars, npc quests, collectibles), the story is a little more interesting (although both stories are kinda weak and the writing generally sucks; but the worldview is interesting), the art direction is MUCH better and Duad has better/more fun powers imo.  I felt like the main game kinda dragged in the middle with the really huge levels.

The core stealth is good and the open levels with multiple ways to approach is great as well.  The DLC is amazing value, it's basically an 8 hour long expansion pack that's better the main game, so if I had played Dishonored at launch and this came out later I'd be really impressed.  It's easily up there with Souls games as a meaty worthy DLC expansion.  Back to back though...it's a bit much.  Like the reviews I'm seeing of Dishonored 2 mostly complain about it being too much the same and playing Dishonored + Duad DLC I can see that.  The thing is, especially if you're playing a no-kill stealth run, there isn't much to the actual gameplay besides looking with the eye power, moving with teleport power, and sneaking around guys or occasionally choking them or using a sleep dart or stun mine.  That's basically all you do the entire game.  So while that stuff is fun and done well.  After 20 hours of it with Dishonored + DLC, I'm definitely worn out on the concept.  So if D2 is just more of the same, yeah I'm going to want a several year break before I do this again.  I think what would've made it better would have been more stealth powers/options.  Like Daud can spawn an assassin but that just makes everyone on alert and fighting is not great for low chaos.  I'd rather have a version of that where you spawn a fake assassin that grabs enemy's attention. 

Playing Watchdogs 2, W2 has way more stealth ability options, but the main stealth with your character is nothing on Dishonored.  Dishonored's core stealth movement/sneaking combined with a plethora of Metal Gear style creative items & powers for stealth no-kill runs would be a lot more fun.  Otoh, because combat is an option, I'd like to see more powers and gadgets to make combat as fun as say Bioshock (note I haven't played Infinite yet; just going off B1/B2/Minerva).  In Bioshock between the various powers and traps you can set, you have a lot of creative freeform in your combat which makes the combat setups good fun.  I feel like Dishonored's combat even with the powers is way too limited so it's not really fun, which is why I went stealth the whole game.  I fought in a couple of situations where I just kinda gave up and fought a ton of enemies, but otherwise stuck to stealth.  I guess my end take is that Dishonored doesn't go far enough in the stealth variety direction and it doesn't go far enough in the combat variety direction and instead sticks to the middleground where both options work but it's fairly simple though really well done.  But the simpleness is why it does get kinda old after a while despite being great.

Probably would give it like an B+ (or B for the main game, A- for the DLC).  Going to watch the other endings I missed now and watch the Dishonored 2 trailer to see what it looks like!

Oh and even the story is kinda so-so, the one area I found interesting was the mysterious magical world of gods like the Outsider and magic whales and underground ancient cities and stuff.  I asked a friend if Dishonored 2 focused more on that stuff like explaining who the Outsider is and he said "not really" and I was kinda  :(  Because that's what would've made me actually interested in the story and more likely to jump in sooner.

I became briefly excited at your screenshots, and then remembered that my copy of the main game and DLC is on 360.  :'(

It's like $5 on PC and I wonder if it's backwards compatible on Xbox One if you have that?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #28789 on: November 21, 2016, 03:59:28 AM »
PS4 only in this house; I'm out of game dev for now, so I'm not keeping up with my usual EVERY CONSOLE policy.

My PC has trouble maintaining its framerate while running Minesweeper.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #28790 on: November 21, 2016, 07:38:37 AM »
I picked up South Park: The Stick of Truth from the XBL Black Friday sale for a few bucks (I had some credit on my account from M$'s rebate program where you get reimbursed for purchases if you have MASSIVE GAMERSCORE, which I have).

Beat the game in a couple of days, it was so awesome. As a longtime fan of South Park it was a pretty damn awesome package of fanservice. Unfortunately the censored version is what is being sold here in NZ despite us having an 18+ game rating system (unlike Australia and parts of Europe), I may see if I can youtube the content I missed but certain parts of the game made me queasy regardless, so I don't think I missed too much  :P

Gonna do another run using a guide to make sure I don't miss collectibles this time (a couple were easily missable despite me being thorough in my gameplay).

Oh and I went back to The Evil Within to mop up gamerscore. Finally nailed the base 1000 by beating the game on easy with no upgrades, and completed The Executioner DLC pack 100%. The Executioner was a good twist on the game, basically its a first-person brawler mode kinda like Zeno Clash using TEW assets/lore. Was a pretty fun romp with some gnarly fatalities. I still need to finish the Juli Kidman expansion achievments which I'll do soon.

Got 100% achievement completion in Mass Effect 3 to finish my full completion of the the trilogy plus all DLC. Citadel was fun but kinda embarrassing to enjoy due the suckin dick ass fans I was thinking about while playing. At least I wasn't laughing at a Game of Thrones meme or something. Glad to have the shit under my belt regardless. Pumped for Mass Effect Andromeda!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 07:44:18 AM by The Sceneman »

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #28791 on: November 21, 2016, 07:40:30 AM »
@ Bebpo I got the base 1000/1000 in Dishonored from just raw-dog save scumming the thing. So yeah, anyone can beat the game low-chaos/no kills if they want to grind the shit out :p

Thanks for the review of the DLC, I've been meaning to check it out
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 07:46:00 AM by The Sceneman »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #28792 on: November 21, 2016, 10:57:57 AM »
when is ur bitch ass getting a One, all these games are BC at this point
fat

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #28793 on: November 22, 2016, 07:56:25 PM »
Yeah I kinda need to pick up a Bone ASAP. I'm thinking of flipping my N64 collection to pay for the shit :( Sucks being a filthy poor University student but I'm crossing my fingers I find a summer job. Defo need to get a Bone before RDR2 drops

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #28794 on: November 22, 2016, 11:41:52 PM »
Lots of Rust. It's finally not complete shit again

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #28795 on: November 23, 2016, 01:21:40 AM »
Beat Xanadu Next (excellent game that plays like a cross between Ys, Diablo, and Dark Souls with aesthetics reminiscent of a Dreamcast game).

Also played DQ Builders, making good progress into the final chapter now.

And gonna put more time in on Exist Archive, which is like Valkyrie Profile with Bratz-looking characters.
^_^

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #28796 on: November 23, 2016, 07:52:13 AM »
Yeah I kinda need to pick up a Bone ASAP. I'm thinking of flipping my N64 collection to pay for the shit :( Sucks being a filthy poor University student but I'm crossing my fingers I find a summer job. Defo need to get a Bone before RDR2 drops

Watchu got?

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #28797 on: November 23, 2016, 08:15:27 AM »
A pile of PAL carts  :-X

A lot of good games but yeah, all PAL as I live in New Zealand. These guys arent easily tradable overseas
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 08:20:01 AM by The Sceneman »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #28798 on: November 23, 2016, 11:26:01 AM »

Dont sell ur consoles bro, this will hurt in the long run :(

Like I generally wish I hadnt sold any of my consoles like ever.
What

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #28799 on: November 23, 2016, 12:50:01 PM »
Yeah I don't know what the PAL market is like for N64 but in NTSC-land those games are starting to take off in terms of price. I became friends with the owner of a local retro game store and he says that N64 games are by far his biggest sellers. Pissed that it was my brother and not me who bought a sealed Conker's BFD back in the day for $2 :P
^_^