Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3558319 times)

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #30480 on: December 07, 2017, 09:49:59 AM »
Apart from the Nomura-tier stupid character designs, the story is one of the reasons I didn't yet get Horizon - even though the battle system looks great. It's everything wrong with western games. I.e. you're making a game about goddamn robot dinosaurs, why the fuck do you feel such a need to tell some pretentious-ass story? It's a stupid concept that should not take itself seriously. It's like playing the setup for Metal Wolf Chaos straight.

Horizon Zero Dawn can be corny at times but I don't exactly see where its narrative is pretentious or anything. While it's no Witcher 3, it's engaging enough and with clever worldbuilding at times. And anyway, it's not that the game forces you to follow the narrative. If you just want to hunt robo dinos, exploring the cauldrons or do other shit than you can do that with no problems.

The character design is mostly weird and outright ugly at times, that I agree.

arrow

« Reply #30481 on: December 07, 2017, 05:23:32 PM »
Sniper Elite 4

I started this by playing the way I played the other 3 in the series: ie, sneak around in the campaign.
Then I got bored, and made sure that I spent most of my time head or nutshotting anything that swam into view. Specifically I tried to clear out the levels.

But I finally found out I've been playing it completely wrong. Now I only play Solo Survival. And wow, what a blast. So good I have spent about 7 hours just replaying the same map over and over (Village).

Amazing mode, all the fun of head/nutshotting lots of nazis, but MUCH FASTER than campaign.

Maybe I should try multiplayer next.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #30482 on: December 07, 2017, 05:38:53 PM »
Apart from the Nomura-tier stupid character designs, the story is one of the reasons I didn't yet get Horizon - even though the battle system looks great. It's everything wrong with western games. I.e. you're making a game about goddamn robot dinosaurs, why the fuck do you feel such a need to tell some pretentious-ass story? It's a stupid concept that should not take itself seriously. It's like playing the setup for Metal Wolf Chaos straight.

I felt like the battle system is off with what the game is asking you to do. Once the action gets hot and heavy the main character controls like shit. It’s pretty much fine as long as the game is sticking to being a hunter, steal thing through the grass, and setting traps.

As soon as you actually have to fight a big robot in an enclosed area, and dodge his shots or whatever, it fades fast. The dodging is disorienting, and the aiming is too clunky.

Git gud.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #30483 on: December 07, 2017, 06:29:28 PM »
Horizon: buy the enhanced dodge, and remember that aiming focus, sliding focus, and jumping focus have different cooldowns, so you can be navigating in slow-mo as the robots are chasing after you. Don't panic. Fear is the mind-killer.

Bebpo

« Reply #30484 on: December 08, 2017, 01:23:27 AM »
Damn, Fata Morgana is some good stuff. This feels like one of those game experiences that's gonna stick with me like Nier. By the second chapter can't put it down.

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #30485 on: December 08, 2017, 03:15:26 AM »
Disgaea 5 on Switch :whew This shit is crack.
reckt

Corporal

« Reply #30486 on: December 08, 2017, 07:57:40 AM »
New copies of Disgaea are more expensive than the eshop download where I live. That's kind of bullshit. :-\

Anyway, fiddling around with Neurovoider (twin stick looty pixely shooter) and the "new" Monsterboy to offset the massive weeb bludgeoning I'm receiving from Xenogears Chronicles 2.

Monsterboy has such a weird control setup. To switch OST/graphical representation you use ZR/push the right stick in. What a weird choice. It's like they took the remaining unbound control inputs and randomly assigned functions to them so that all buttons on the switch do *something*.
Still having fun running around as various monsters and miserably failing at the post-Endboss curse evasion event.

Neurovoider is pretty fun, although I feel it's just a tiny bit too zoomed in. The Devs seem to agree since they show exclamation marks at the edges of the screen when an enemy is somewhere close but off screen in that direction. Which means you aren't completely fucked when hordes of robots with long range weaponry charge at you, but it's not optimal.
It's cool that you can re-use unused loot from previous runs. Kinda wish the inventory management was a bit better though.
!list

paprikastaude

« Reply #30487 on: December 08, 2017, 08:59:41 AM »
Damn, Fata Morgana is some good stuff. This feels like one of those game experiences that's gonna stick with me like Nier. By the second chapter can't put it down.

Guess this might go on my wishlist.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #30488 on: December 08, 2017, 09:56:37 AM »
I started playing Thumper last night. That's a super intense experience. Switch version is pretty good and IMO probably the way I'd prefer to play. I can bring the screen as close to my face as I want but I can also move it away if it's getting a bit much.

nat

kingv

« Reply #30489 on: December 08, 2017, 11:15:56 AM »
Horizon: buy the enhanced dodge, and remember that aiming focus, sliding focus, and jumping focus have different cooldowns, so you can be navigating in slow-mo as the robots are chasing after you. Don't panic. Fear is the mind-killer.

Part of my problem, I think is I was playing where I was just running from main mission to main mission without upgrading or buying new shit. Talking about it makes me want to get back into it even with the trash techno hippy designs.

What is this Fata Morgana game? It looks weeb as hell from the artwork, but I haven’t heard of it before.

Edit: appears to be a weeb visual novel. They really need to port those games to switch. Seems like the ideal platform for them. I would probably actually play one.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 11:21:41 AM by kingv »

Bebpo

« Reply #30490 on: December 08, 2017, 12:17:41 PM »
Yeah Fata Morgana is a VN. If you don’t want to read a novel, it’s still a VN.

I used to hate VNs, but lately the good interesting ones like Steins;Gate and this are changing my mind. In Steins;Gate the VA added a lot and here the music does.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #30491 on: December 08, 2017, 10:32:01 PM »

Part of my problem, I think is I was playing where I was just running from main mission to main mission without upgrading or buying new shit. Talking about it makes me want to get back into it even with the trash techno hippy designs.

What is this Fata Morgana game? It looks weeb as hell from the artwork, but I haven’t heard of it before.

Edit: appears to be a weeb visual novel. They really need to port those games to switch. Seems like the ideal platform for them. I would probably actually play one.

Yeah, a couple of the upgrades are critical for success, namely the Focus/bullet-time improvements. Also doing side jobs and selling stuff to get better equipment is pretty key. There is substantial difference between the starter equipment and the purple gear plus purple mods.

If you're running on basic, you're frantically using a pea-shooter, versus having some time to choose your sniper shots at critical gear. Tearing off robot components does significant damage, quickly. And elemental damage is huge, too.

Corporal

« Reply #30492 on: December 09, 2017, 03:03:32 AM »
So Ironcast waddled onto the Switch and I was feeling tempted. What do you know, it's a fun game. Port of a two year old kickstartered steam game, also available on the bone and the pee ass since last year or so.

For the uninitiated, it's a match three(-or-more) game with a walker to the left (you, valiant Brit), a walker to the right (dastardly French!) and four resources and some special tiles in the middle that fuel various equipments (ammo, energy, cooling, repair). Full touch screen support, which is nice - because the UI is rather clumsy to use without it. It works, but it clearly wasn't designed to be controlled via gamepad.

Strong FTL vibes. You don't have a crew, but the equipment, hitpoint split between subsystems and hull and randomised mission setup among other things feel oddly familiar. Presentation is OK, but the occasional loading screen takes a bit long for those Flash game levels of presentation and graphics. The animated bots look nice and appropriately steampunky and explode nicely, weapons crack and zap and burn and whatever, ... but it still kinda gives off a feeling of a good Flash game on newgrounds or something.

Would be nice for a tenner or so. Fifteen was a bit much, I'm afraid.

Anyway, fun game. Good replayability. FTL fans will feel right at home. Would pin to my home screen for the occasional romp if the switch supported that. Which it does not. Minus 10 DKP.
!list

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #30493 on: December 09, 2017, 06:52:17 AM »
Jesus, some people HAVE SKILL. To never get hit even once!!! How is that possible?

I did a single life run of Contra while drunk at 5AM once.

It's called playing the same game too damn much. I probably played the game 100s of hours. If you do a no death run the game is like 20 minutes long or something.

Edit: Finished Cuphead. Took me around 5 hours. The RockPaperShotgun article on the steampage makes me laugh.

"Cuphead’s fetishisation of difficulty and the air of smugness perpetrated by some of the louder parts of its community unfortunately put me off the finger-gun platformer."

Git gud, scrub?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 01:55:00 PM by HardcoreRetro »

paprikastaude

« Reply #30494 on: December 09, 2017, 04:27:53 PM »
I just finished R* The Warriors. Pretty good. The combat never becomes as deep as God Hand, but it makes up for it with the feel of being part/controlling a gang. Only the bosses that require you to throw bottles all the time were irritating.

kingv

« Reply #30495 on: December 09, 2017, 07:22:29 PM »
Definitely a fun gang. Makes me want to yell Caaaaaan yoooouuuuu diiiiiigggggg ittttttt?

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #30496 on: December 10, 2017, 03:39:08 PM »
Finished Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus and that song  :beli :comeon

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #30497 on: December 10, 2017, 06:26:09 PM »
I fucking love that song. It cracked me the fuck up when it came on and just thinking about it now still makes me giggle

Freyj

« Reply #30498 on: December 10, 2017, 09:26:38 PM »
in any other context, yes, but I fucking lost it when it started in

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #30499 on: December 11, 2017, 10:29:46 AM »
I fucking love that song. It cracked me the fuck up when it came on and just thinking about it now still makes me giggle

in any other context, yes, but I fucking lost it when it started in

I get what they were going for but might as well used the original version instead of this rendition.

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #30500 on: December 11, 2017, 01:20:20 PM »
Mask Of The Betrayer has one of the best plots in games. Shame that the UI and gameplay is utter ass.
reckt

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #30501 on: December 11, 2017, 02:38:37 PM »
I setup PCSX2 this weekend so my roommate could go through Indigo Prophecy. Ho boy is that game a mess.

Highlights include (so far):

David Cage telling a crash test dummy they're sexy
Electricity(?) bugs attacking the main character
Cop letting a murderer go because he saved a kids life
10 minute QTE sequence where everything in the main character's apartment is thrown at them
Chinese man who puts on a racist accent to make his bookstore more authentic
Main character escaping the NYPD by grabbing a helicopter's skid and then jumping onto a subway car.
Main Character escaping being kidnapped by Angels.
Everything being the Mayans fault.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 02:52:40 PM by Skullfuckers Anonymous »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #30502 on: December 11, 2017, 03:00:26 PM »
Filthy subway car sex, tho :noah
©@©™

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #30503 on: December 11, 2017, 03:00:36 PM »
I remember playing the PC demo of Indigo and being like "Damn this shit is great" and then playing the full game  :dayum

When I say full game I mean like...up until a certain point. No way I was gonna dedicate more time to this trash. Miss me with that Cage shite.
reckt

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #30504 on: December 11, 2017, 03:20:14 PM »
I setup PCSX2 this weekend so my roommate could go through Indigo Prophecy. Ho boy is that game a mess.

10 minute QTE sequence where everything in the main character's apartment is thrown at them
Main character escaping the NYPD by grabbing a helicopter's skid and then jumping onto a subway car.
Yup. How he didn't get his game making license revoked after that game boggles the mind.
que

kingv

« Reply #30505 on: December 11, 2017, 05:08:07 PM »
I sort of liked Indigo prophecy, up until the very end segment.

I remember the diner scene being really intense, and also a scene where you were in your apartment and like the cops were st the door.

And then it ends with a Matrix style fight scene. Which was... unexpected.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #30506 on: December 11, 2017, 08:02:21 PM »

Yup. How he didn't get his game making license revoked after that game boggles the mind.

In all honesty, the International Video Game Developer License is only slightly harder to acquire than a driving license learner's permit for a 16-year-old.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #30507 on: December 11, 2017, 08:58:21 PM »
I remember playing the PC demo of Indigo and being like "Damn this shit is great" and then playing the full game  :dayum

When I say full game I mean like...up until a certain point. No way I was gonna dedicate more time to this trash. Miss me with that Cage shite.

the demo was amazing. it was like someone finally got all the choose your own adventure shit right and it was just perfect. i checked out the reviews bc i didnt have money for it at release and i was crushed. they trashed it so bad that it instantly killed any desire to give it a chance.
pcp

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #30508 on: December 12, 2017, 01:09:50 AM »
the demo was amazing. it was like someone finally got all the choose your own adventure shit right and it was just perfect. i checked out the reviews bc i didnt have money for it at release and i was crushed. they trashed it so bad that it instantly killed any desire to give it a chance.
Watch an LP. You have to see just how off-the-rails stupid it is.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #30509 on: December 12, 2017, 07:15:32 AM »
lol that's a good idea!  I will definitely do this thanks
pcp

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #30510 on: December 12, 2017, 11:13:16 AM »
Finished it up from the Amusement Park. It felt like there was an hour or two missing because the game goes from 0 - 90 in the part.

Ex wife was kidnapped (?) and Lucas saves her by riding a roller coaster in an abandoned amusement park.
Carla gets a call from Lucas and meets him alone and decides to believe his story about how an ancient Mayan mindjacked him and forced him to commit murder. After meeting for the first time in the game, they fuck in the next scene.
The world is suddenly about to end because of snow and the only thing that can stop it is the Indigo Child who just so happened to show up after 10000 years.
Lucas breaks into a Catholic orphanage to "rescue" the indigo child by going into her room and telling her, "You're the one I saw in my dreams" and then picking her up.
This fucking fight scene
Lucas meets AI (?) who tells Lucas he died at the amusement park and is now a Zombie.
Lucas jumps out of a building and happens to land where Carla is. They escape to a homeless city in the subway and proceed to have sex.
Lucas goes back to his childhood military base to fight AI and the ancient Mayan to save the child.

And for some reason Mr. David 'Every Choice Has a Consequence' Cage decided to make all of the games three endings available to you in the final chapter no matter what you're choices were throughout the game. And each of the endings reuses 80% of the monologue from the other endings. This shit makes Mass Effect 3 look competent. They are:

Humanity Wins:
Lucas and Carla live inside a tree in a colorful forest.
All evil is gone.
Carla is pregnant from subway sex.

The Orange Clan (Mayans) wins:
Society goes back to the way it was before.

The Purple Clan (AI) wins:
The world is overrun with snow and terminators.
Lucas is John Conner

And that is Indigo Prophecy. Somehow this got an 85% on Metacritic back in the day and inspired Sony to buy David Cage's company to continue making these types of games. Here's to Detroit: Become Domestic Abuser!

paprikastaude

« Reply #30511 on: December 12, 2017, 04:39:11 PM »
Let's not talk about apparent failed film students who got into videogames to tell their trite shit stories that utilize the medium they are in only in the most shallow way. Hey, I've just downloaded that free visual novel Doki Doki Literature Club that people call unsettling:

First hour: "Fucking hell, when's the twists coming? Have I been tricked into playing legit weeb junk which loli-avatar wearing goons overhype?"

First ending: "eh, could be okay, though like Danganronpa it's seemingly still too afraid to stray away from animu in any significant matter".

Further second playthrough:

« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 05:08:30 PM by Spieler1 »

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #30512 on: December 12, 2017, 04:50:18 PM »
I can't tell if that's good or bad.
rub

paprikastaude

« Reply #30513 on: December 12, 2017, 05:08:04 PM »
Good. The game has very fun ideas - some I don't think I've seen before.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 05:50:30 PM by Spieler1 »

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #30514 on: December 12, 2017, 05:42:59 PM »
SMT IV finally.
reckt

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #30515 on: December 12, 2017, 06:09:59 PM »
free new resident evil 7 dlc "not a hero" is up now fyi
pcp

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #30516 on: December 12, 2017, 08:16:22 PM »
Finally beat that piece of shit cyclops in Soul Sacrifice Delta
reckt

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #30517 on: December 12, 2017, 08:39:53 PM »
Still trying to collect the remainder of the moons in Odyssey. Up to the Dark Side of the Moon now, though I don't think I'm ever gonna get the goddamn jump rope 100 times one...

2 week break coming up where I'll get balls deep into Xenoblade 2.
^_^

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #30518 on: December 12, 2017, 09:02:55 PM »
Been playing Absolver. Kinda refreshing in it's pace. Enjoyable thinking while keeping hands busy game.

Corporal

« Reply #30519 on: December 13, 2017, 03:19:48 AM »
There's a glitch that lets you get the hundred jump-rope moon in MariO easily. It involves the nearby bird. Haven't done it yet, but looks manageable. Will definitely try it eventually. Like hell will I be caught pressing jump one hundred times. What kind of shitty ass challenge is that supposed to be. Same with the Volleyball thing. Two player mode Cappy says fuck you, designer of the second moon challenge. Suck on that.

Anyway. Just returned to Rex's village in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. The Anime is strong, but I am stronger... yet. Still having tremendous amounts of fun. The constant cringing is probably unhealthy, though.

Also, finally no more Meh tank. Thank ye gods. Have fun parking your fat Otaku ass on the backbench, Tora.

Also found an interesting named human enemy in the Empire, up in the rafters close to the port/starting point. Got him down to a sliver of health, got pushed off the rafters, which automatically ended the fight. Ok. Fuck you too. Ran aaaaaaaalll the way back to him, drew him towards a slightly less exposed area very close by, but didn't know this brought me into the patrol area of a Lvl 60+ bird thing which two-shotted my party. Why you! Once again ran aaaaaaaaaaalll the way back to him, the damn bird found me again while I was not even close to him, and in the process of running away from it, I fell into the sea again.

Fuck that guy. May he rot up there with his bastard bird buddy.
!list

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #30520 on: December 13, 2017, 10:03:40 PM »
just finished Episode Ignis for Final Fantasy XV and wooo damn that was fantastic. gameplay was a ton of fun even though it was short, but the cutscenes were where it really shined. ignis is the true superbro, goddamn. great sendoff to what was originally supposed to be the final add-on for the game. they even added a fairly meaty bonus non-canon ending in the dlc that exists for no other reason but to please fans.

i know they're working on a second season of dlc for release in the distant future, but if the game had wrapped up today i'd say they've done a phenomenal job. i gotta say, all the dlc and patches they've released this year have fixed most of the biggest issues i had with the release game. i love the story and think it's Nojima's best, and each new release has brought out more of the great characters. excited to see where they go from here.
pcp

Whiskeydiver

« Reply #30521 on: December 13, 2017, 10:30:43 PM »
i've been getting back into Garry's Mod messing around with a bunch of workshop content.  Honestly without that shit, the game would have died a long time ago. Prop hunt, Zombie Survival and Gmod Murder are tolerable as long as in game voice chat is turned off.

I also found new life in Starcraft 2 playing mutations with a buddy of mine lately.  It definitely makes for a more fun and intense ride when doing 6+ random mutations on a mission.

Bebpo

« Reply #30522 on: December 14, 2017, 08:49:25 PM »
just finished Episode Ignis for Final Fantasy XV and wooo damn that was fantastic. gameplay was a ton of fun even though it was short, but the cutscenes were where it really shined. ignis is the true superbro, goddamn. great sendoff to what was originally supposed to be the final add-on for the game. they even added a fairly meaty bonus non-canon ending in the dlc that exists for no other reason but to please fans.

i know they're working on a second season of dlc for release in the distant future, but if the game had wrapped up today i'd say they've done a phenomenal job. i gotta say, all the dlc and patches they've released this year have fixed most of the biggest issues i had with the release game. i love the story and think it's Nojima's best, and each new release has brought out more of the great characters. excited to see where they go from here.

I'm really tempted to finally sit down and play my copy of FFXV w/season pass. I feel like the only things left that they will add if I wait are some more episodes, but those are standalone and I can play them after. I don't see them adding many more QoL or in-game story features still.

I'm kinda tempted to do the same for Xenoblade 2. I'm like 5 hours in, but it sounds like they're going the FFXV route of game was rushed and they're going to be constantly patching and adding new QoL features, new quests, new mechanics, etc...while fixing performance and adding new season pass content over the next year. Since I only play rpgs once, might want to wait so I can get the best experience when I do play it.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #30523 on: December 14, 2017, 09:38:55 PM »
Ugh, I hate season pass and qol stuff for RPGs...
^_^

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #30524 on: December 14, 2017, 10:36:19 PM »
you hate when they add in more content and fix existing problems with games???
pcp

Corporal

« Reply #30525 on: December 14, 2017, 11:28:35 PM »
you hate when they add in more content and fix existing problems with games???
Well, I'm not tiesto, but allow me to throw in a snide comment: It'd be great if games could release in a finished and at least moderately polished state. These are consoles with unified hardware and software, it doesn't get more standardised and hassle-free that that.

I'm not sure why I should worship the ground the Devs walk on for them to support their own game. Or release it feature complete, with only a few tiny bugs left. That's like the very least one should expect. "Fix existing problems"? Why were they still in those games to begin with?
!list

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #30526 on: December 15, 2017, 12:20:22 AM »
Aside from the rushed Chapter 13 or whatever, FFXV was perfectly fine
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #30527 on: December 15, 2017, 12:21:35 AM »
I'm actually with Tiesto on this. For 25+ years I've been playing rpgs, usually when they're released, a lot on day 1 and day 1 import on the jrpgs. FFXV was the first time I got the game day 1 and decided not to play it for a year. This was because by the time the game came out, the developers were already talking about "we planning on patching in story and new gameplay systems and features over the next year + performance updates and better graphics for PS4 Pro" which sorta killed all my interest in sitting down and playing the game when I could play a more finished version of the game in a year.

Besides FFXV I've played a bunch of rpgs this year, no problem. Games have been 99% complete on release. I mean on Cold Steel 3 when I was 90 hours in they patched the card game to speed up the AI turns and I was like "noooooo, why did I play all those dozens of hours of slow card gaming", but otherwise  the rest was fine.

Now Xenoblade 2 comes out, and I get it day 1 LE and all that just like FFXV, I start to play it and then just like FFXV the developers start talking about "yeah, we're going to change the mini-map, add more fast travel spots, work on performance/graphics and new quests will be available in a couple of months, plus we plan on supporting the game for the next year as a service with new content and going by these first patches, problem a lot more patches with more good stuff", so again all my interest is pretty much dead and I'm feeling like "welp, guess I won't play this $130 XB2 for another year".

So yeah, I'm not a fan of post-game adding lots of stuff. Performance tweaks through patches? Sure. But adding new gameplay stuff, gameplay improvements, QoL, new quests, new story in rpgs sucks because it just makes me want to wait it out.

Even right now, I'm neck deep in the thick of Pillars of Eternity. Finally playing it 3 years after release with expansion included and when I look at how the game was on release, it's like a completely different game. There have been so many changes/improvements/additions over the years, I don't know if I'd have liked the game anywhere near as much if I played it 3 years ago. So now I've gone ahead and kickstarted Pillars 2 and essentially will own it day 1, but again should I wait a year to play it because they'll probably fix/add a ton of stuff during that time frame until the expansions come out? I don't mind beating a game and jumping back in for the expansion, but I want to play the best version of the main game as much as possible since I'm only going to play it once.

Games have always been rushed and released early and patched over time, but rpgs, especially on the Japanese-side have tended to be pretty complete at launch, so I'm not a fan of this whole "1 year post-release support plan for jrpgs"

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #30528 on: December 15, 2017, 10:53:18 AM »
Still doing skyrim on switch. It does amaze me how much they just phoned in a lot of the quests and important quests too.  Sorta get the feeling they were like "Just finish it!"
que

Bebpo

« Reply #30529 on: December 15, 2017, 02:31:35 PM »
Ehh... can't connect here.

I platinumed FF15 about 4 weeks after release. No regrets, never turning back, never replaying the game again. It's a fantastic FF game if you ask me.

The DLCs are a problem but AFAIK it does not change the ending nor is an expansion pack that tells what happened efter the ending. So who cares.

Look, I'm not saying these games aren't sorta complete and enjoyable at launch. But dude, you cannot argue that FF15 at launch is a weaker experience than FF15 currently. There's been so many gameplay additions it's pretty major. Even just being able to change characters in combat adds a lot I'm sure.

« Reply #30530 on: December 15, 2017, 10:43:22 PM »
I thought FF15 was pretty garbo and the patches it's gotten haven't done much to change my perception of it, since all of it seems like stapled on superflous filler.

But that's as much as I care to actively discuss the game so. :yeshrug

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #30531 on: December 16, 2017, 02:39:16 AM »
There are some RPGs I do end up playing at launch, and it's pretty hard to go back like a year later to play DLC or whatnot. And due to the length of the typical RPG I hardly ever replay them. FFXV which had story scenes added back in via patches was especially infuriating (I ended up watching most on youtube and still haven't gone back to play the DLC missions yet). I just prefer games to be 'complete' on release. The whole QOL/GAAS model works for say, education management software, or competitive multiplayer... long, epic, story-driven RPGs... not so much imo.
^_^

Freyj

« Reply #30532 on: December 18, 2017, 11:05:41 AM »
Ehh... can't connect here.

I platinumed FF15 about 4 weeks after release. No regrets, never turning back, never replaying the game again. It's a fantastic FF game if you ask me.

The DLCs are a problem but AFAIK it does not change the ending nor is an expansion pack that tells what happened efter the ending. So who cares.

Look, I'm not saying these games aren't sorta complete and enjoyable at launch. But dude, you cannot argue that FF15 at launch is a weaker experience than FF15 currently. There's been so many gameplay additions it's pretty major. Even just being able to change characters in combat adds a lot I'm sure.

I’m definitely mad about how much 15 has changed over the last year and feel like if I’d played MGSV and they  actually added Act 3 but I don’t personally think there was ever going to be any saving of that combat or open world.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #30533 on: December 18, 2017, 06:13:18 PM »
Played a whole bunch of They Are Billions games. Might as well have titled it Well That Escalated Quickly :lol

Have yet to beat the first map - which is presumably the easiest. Pretty good game.

Corporal

« Reply #30534 on: December 18, 2017, 07:21:06 PM »
Don't have enough time for XbC2. So I play Neurovoider in really short bursts. Like, gun down two or three enemies, suspend, repeat. Died to eating a nuke to the face because I had to suspend in the middle of evading, then had forgotten about it when resuming. Tch.

Neurovoider inventory management still sucks ass. Rest of the game is pretty damn good.

Well, the endbosses are a bit of a chore. They are hectic and fun, but the fights drag on too long IMHO. Far too long, depending on your luck with equipment drops. And often you don't really have all that much space to manoeuvre. So you're gonna eat a bunch of damage because you're getting stuck on a box or something. While being pelted by both the boss and the infinitely respawning trash mobs. I dislike that you don't do any damage unless you attack the core, which is only exposed momentarily if you wail on a weak spot for extended amounts of time. Would've been nice to get some chip damage in. The elites that spawn upon core exposure aren't helping either. Having to sit right next to the core and wait for your weapons to cool down and energy to build back up while the clock is ticking is kinda annoying.

Still trying to figure out how to play the Fortress or Dash type. I don't get it. Fortress seems to get more HP and recharge, but the special is effing useless. Dash just gets a blink move. Rampage all the way. Overloading weapon systems is way too useful.
!list

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #30535 on: December 23, 2017, 08:33:01 AM »
Still busy with AC Origins. Put it down a bit to read through some ancient history book up until the time the game takes place. Think I'm getting closer and closer to the platinum trophy thing.

The ubisoft sandbox games are basically my "zen" games. They're like decent at best as games but they're perfect for me to relax to.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #30536 on: December 24, 2017, 11:58:28 AM »
I just beat What Remains of Edith Finch.

I think my expectations were way too high on this one especially after Jeff Bakalar gave it so much praise.

This is the third walking sim I've played and ended up wondering why I played it. All of them have been the same - great presentation with novel gameplay elements with a pompous story.
rub

Bebpo

« Reply #30537 on: December 24, 2017, 12:23:06 PM »
What were the other two?

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #30538 on: December 24, 2017, 12:38:16 PM »
Gone Home and Firewatch. Firewatch had me also, right up until the big mystery reveal. Then it was a fart.

I think of the three Edith Finch had the most memorable moments but the overall story was just bad. After a while it started getting a little funny.

"Now let's see how they kill... THE BABY!!!"

[APPLAUSE]
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 12:46:42 PM by zomgee »
rub

Corporal

« Reply #30539 on: December 25, 2017, 01:28:10 AM »
Played some local multiplayer ARMS after getting dragged away by a fifteen year old relative to have a look at their adware filled computer. "GTA 5 sometimes slows down to 15 FPS" *takes a look at like five "optimisers" and "spyware scanners" running in the background* Gee, I wonder why. I'm sure your mom knows you have a GTA game installed, too.

Beat his ass (in ARMS). Also utterly dominated an eight year old relative that tagged along.

Still got it. :smug

Barely. I mean, the two improved so much during this one evening, they will probably utterly humiliate me the next time. :fbm
!list