Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3600857 times)

paprikastaude

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #30600 on: January 09, 2018, 01:52:17 PM »
Nier 1 was much better and more creative with mixing up gameplay. :yeshrug

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #30601 on: January 09, 2018, 06:47:27 PM »
it had a lot of variety, and all of it was poorly executed :shrug
pcp

paprikastaude

« Reply #30602 on: January 09, 2018, 07:17:13 PM »
 :fbm

It's one of the few games I can think of where it didn't suck. Ironically, Platinum Games are usually a good example of this backfiring. Everything non-fighting in Bayonetta was horrendous.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #30603 on: January 09, 2018, 07:26:31 PM »
your face is horrendous
pcp

paprikastaude

« Reply #30604 on: January 09, 2018, 07:35:49 PM »
Yes, when I have to play shooting sections in Bayonetta. Not in Nier 1 though.  :smug

kingv

« Reply #30605 on: January 09, 2018, 11:53:57 PM »
Bayo 2 I think the shooting section was much improved.

Also benefits from bein waaaaaay less of it.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #30606 on: January 10, 2018, 04:19:15 AM »
But does Automata have boar drifting?

kingv

« Reply #30607 on: January 10, 2018, 08:22:03 AM »
Boar drifting? Can you ride them or something? I never tried I guess.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #30608 on: January 10, 2018, 08:24:55 AM »
theres no reason too since movement is already fluid as fuck but
fat

travis84

« Reply #30609 on: January 10, 2018, 02:07:46 PM »
CS as always, unprepared.  :D
:*

Corporal

« Reply #30610 on: January 10, 2018, 11:13:54 PM »
Sure, I thought, I shall finally install the most recent patch for Enter The Gungeon for Switch, after putting it off for ages.
Because, or so I mused, what's the worst that could happen.
After all, I reasoned, patches exist to add stability, balance and features.

Now I can't play in mobile mode anymore because the game crashes randomly after a few minutes, when changing floors. Fuck the me from a few hours ago with a rusty fork.

Time to reboot my switch, I guess. Hopefully that will help. If not, I hope I can delete the fucking update and resume my run. Otherwise, there will be lots of swearing and whining.
!list

Corporal

« Reply #30611 on: January 14, 2018, 09:56:38 PM »
Dragon Quest Builder demo, on switch. I like. It's a less sandboxy Minecraft clone. Thick on the tutorials and seems to be way less complex and obtuse than the original, but that's actually exactly what I was looking for. Also, the artstyle is waaaaaaay more platable. Looking forward to the full release.

Returned to Golf Story for a bit. Tried out the multiplayer support and got ruthlessly ravaged by my younger relatives this weekend. Dammit. Bit of a barebones game mode, though. Oh well.
!list

kingv

« Reply #30612 on: January 14, 2018, 11:47:07 PM »
I’ll need to check out this dragon quest shit.

I’m tryin* to wrap my head around what a Minecraft Musou mashup actually would be like.

paprikastaude

« Reply #30613 on: January 15, 2018, 12:55:08 PM »
I wanted to like many DQ game for the art alone, but was never really grabbed by either the gameplay or stories. Maybe Builders would do the trick.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #30614 on: January 16, 2018, 11:14:07 AM »
Made it to the ice town in chapter 6 of Xenoblade 2 but then got wrapped up in doing side quests.
^_^

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #30615 on: January 16, 2018, 11:52:45 AM »
Made it to the "Birthday Party" in RE7. Lucas has some issues.
©@©™

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #30616 on: January 16, 2018, 12:07:16 PM »
one of the best parts of the game imo
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #30617 on: January 16, 2018, 08:19:22 PM »
Made it to the ice town in chapter 6 of Xenoblade 2 but then got wrapped up in doing side quests.

:respect

That's exactly the spot I'm at too. Somehow I got way overleveled though, lvl.52-58 party and the standard enemies are like lvl.40. It's kinda no fun when nothing will aggro you going through a new story area ><

Btw, just wanna say I've gone 200+ pulls now of common/rare cores without a single unique and I'm still missing a bunch of them too so it's not like I just have 1-2 that take forever to pull. I like everything else about XB2 but the gatcha pull stuff is really bad. I hope by the time I finish it that they announce $20 unlock all unique blades DLC.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #30618 on: January 17, 2018, 03:39:25 PM »
Playing Pikmin 3 and absolutely loving it. I had no idea it was big on time management and juggling multiple tasks, which is something I've always loved. Scratching that same part of my monkey brain that loves the original Dead Rising.
zzzzz

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #30619 on: January 17, 2018, 05:47:35 PM »
Pikmin 3 is so doodoo please play the other two instead
fat

paprikastaude

« Reply #30620 on: January 17, 2018, 07:53:41 PM »
2 is by far the best. Thankfully I grabbed the Wii version when it was thrown away during some Amazon sale. I recently finished the 3DS spinoff and already forgot large chunks of it. It was an okay distraction, I guess.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #30621 on: January 17, 2018, 08:34:49 PM »
Damn, 3's not even a good one? Why have I been sleeping on this series?
zzzzz

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #30622 on: January 17, 2018, 10:06:15 PM »
If you like Pikmin check out Overlord 1 & 2

Pikmin 3 is fine but the others are that much better
fat

Freyj

« Reply #30623 on: January 17, 2018, 11:18:14 PM »
Divinity Original Sin 2 is a vast improvement on OS1. Fort Joy had so many different ways to solve each progression step. I'm not as fond of Reaper's Coast so far, but only because it's been a pretty linear road since leaving Fort Joy. I imagine the game opens up again after a couple plot points unfold.

I thought OS1 got markedly worse as the game wore on with fewer or no towns / settlements, less quests and more combat, puzzle, combat, puzzle cycles. Felt like the last two areas in particular were rushed to ship the game. And then the final sequence drags on and on and on. I really hope OS2 doesn't fall into this pattern because I thought Fort Joy was one of the best CRPG sequences in years that wasn't Pillars of Eternity.

Bebpo

« Reply #30624 on: January 17, 2018, 11:32:51 PM »
Wtf, I heard from like everyone* that Pikmin 3 was awesome, but you gotta use the wiimote + analog and play it like a Wii game. It's still in my backlog.

*I did not hear that from demi

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #30625 on: January 18, 2018, 06:42:46 AM »
If you like Pikmin check out Overlord 1 & 2

Pikmin 3 is fine but the others are that much better
I loved the Overlord games. Shame the latest one had nothing in commong with them. :(

paprikastaude

« Reply #30626 on: January 18, 2018, 08:55:39 AM »
I remember getting the water pikmin in P3 like five or six hours in and then thinking "finally the tutorial is over". One hour later I saw the credits  :lol It was ridiculous how light on content that game was compared to the jampacked Pikmin 2.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #30627 on: January 18, 2018, 10:18:27 AM »
Didn't realize there was a Wii port of Pikmin 2, so I'll definitely have to check that out next.
zzzzz

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #30628 on: January 18, 2018, 10:27:26 AM »
There's a Wii port of both

fat

Corporal

« Reply #30629 on: January 18, 2018, 06:43:15 PM »
I loathed the timer in Pikmin 1. I was stressed as fuck when I played the first few stages on my GameCube back in the day. Ditched it and never looked back.
!list

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #30630 on: January 18, 2018, 09:52:22 PM »
I get off on that shit :hyper
zzzzz

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #30631 on: January 18, 2018, 11:26:41 PM »
So Metal Gear Survive is pretty fun....
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #30632 on: January 19, 2018, 12:13:30 AM »
lol konami haters owned
pcp

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #30633 on: January 19, 2018, 01:40:56 AM »
I thought it looked interesting from the first reveal, don't have to do much with the fox engine to make fun gameplay

guess Konami hate just blinded everyone

bluemax

« Reply #30634 on: January 19, 2018, 02:02:21 AM »
Nier Automata is an amazing game, I wish I could think of a way to make chapter 2 less divisive, but the payoff is absolutely worth it. Easily one of the best uses of gameplay to fuel the narrative ever created.

It's a better art game than most art games.
NO

paprikastaude

« Reply #30635 on: January 19, 2018, 07:44:12 AM »
lol konami haters owned

As if that ever was more than butthurt Kojima fanboys. After all, the big hate wave didn't start years before when they've killed other franchises or Hudson (even though some niches certainly were showing disappointment). Only when they dared to remove their god's name from a boxart and fire him for mishandling budget the outrage started. All these (not even confirmed and sometimes contradicting) reports about working conditions at Konami also came way after people were already raging because of Kojima.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #30636 on: January 19, 2018, 08:07:33 AM »
Literally the only people you see hating are people who are like "IMO Metal Gear went downhill since 3" or "FucKonami I love Death Stranding" lul

I had fun with it, it's only $40 and it'll pass the time with friends while grinding for that loot
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #30637 on: January 19, 2018, 11:55:48 AM »
tbh i don't even care about the game; i just thought it was by to see people up in arms over it. oh noes it doesn't have Kojima involved! wow how will they survive with out the one guy who takes credit for everything about the damn games?? and getting mad at the goofy premise was even more ridiculous considering every game in the series has tons of wacky scifi jokes in them.
pcp

paprikastaude

« Reply #30638 on: January 21, 2018, 08:16:58 PM »
Finally finished Binary Domain. Was given away for free a year or two back and on my PC I couldn't get past a glitch at the end. Now I got it on PS3, where it doesn't really run smoothly either  :lol No problem though, great game under the jank. Even for TPS only Japan makes good bosses apparently. Still a game by the Yakuza people though, so they can be annoying when they spam attacks that keep knocking you down.

If only the best parts of this and Vanquish could've been combined.  :fbm

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #30639 on: January 21, 2018, 08:38:47 PM »
I'm one game away from 100% Rare Replay

Perfect Dark Zero LUL

Need to get 750 Gamerscore from this and then I'll 4000/4000 Rare Replay.
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #30640 on: January 22, 2018, 12:30:46 AM »
me an hour ago: ok nier 2 is really fun but i'm ready to beat the last boss and wrap up the second quest and be done with this

me right now: OH MY GOD FUUUUUUCK NO WAY HOLY SHIT I NEED TO CALL IN TO WORK TOMORROW
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #30641 on: January 22, 2018, 12:46:40 AM »
me an hour ago: ok nier 2 is really fun but i'm ready to beat the last boss and wrap up the second quest and be done with this

me right now: OH MY GOD FUUUUUUCK NO WAY HOLY SHIT I NEED TO CALL IN TO WORK TOMORROW

First ending?

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #30642 on: January 22, 2018, 12:59:58 AM »
second ending. just finished route b.
pcp

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #30643 on: January 22, 2018, 02:58:01 AM »
Finished the Osiris DLC for Destiny 2 with my friend, went up 15 light in one session; now 288.

Playing the shit out of GTA Online lately, managing to earn a little at a time and made enough to buy a Hangar for Smugglers Run content, and a CEO Office and separate Small Warehouse for the Ill-Gotten Gains content. Other players are psychopathic about being griefing CEO players, so in any lobby of over 20 players, it's guaranteed that one of them will be a basement dweller, Level 300 character, who will make it their mission to ruin my life, destroy my investment in Crates, or whatever. It's not a good use of their time, unless they're trying to be annoying. Which is the entirety of their goal, it seems. Part of the problem is that, one-on-one, they can easily prevent me from achieving a separate goal. When I've had anyone additional acting as bodyguard, it's rarely a problem. Fun game is fun, it's just strange that I have to limit what I can do in the game at any moment due to what other players choose to allow me to do.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #30644 on: January 22, 2018, 10:40:49 AM »
Man. The more I play of Nier Automata the more enamored I get with it.
This game is really something.
que

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #30645 on: January 22, 2018, 11:05:04 AM »
I didnt think it was as good as Nier. But I appreciate they included a trophy store so you can just buy your Platinum. More games need to do that shit
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #30646 on: January 22, 2018, 11:10:37 AM »
Man. The more I play of Nier Automata the more enamored I get with it.
This game is really something.
yup! it started off as a fun hack n slash with a weird aesthetic, but it keeps throwing all kinds of fun and creative curveballs. I'm not one of those "rrrgh all new games are trash" types but playing this makes me remember it's been a long time time since I played something so weird and creative.

I didnt think it was as good as Nier. But I appreciate they included a trophy store so you can just buy your Platinum. More games need to do that shit
a ton of nier 2's "tricks" are stuff they already did in the first game, but this feels wayyy more cohesive and fine tuned. for every brilliant moment in nier 1 there was a ton of backtracking, clunky controls, and tediousness.
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #30647 on: January 22, 2018, 11:19:25 AM »
Automata is no stranger to backtracking and tediousness either
fat

kingv

« Reply #30648 on: January 22, 2018, 11:32:09 AM »
The only part I felt was at all tedious in Nier 2 was really route B.

The repetition just sort of wears you down as you go through it.

I guess maybe also the towers in route C. But they are pretty short. Damn it was an excellent game. Basically all of route c is amazing.

Yakuza 0 is another game that gave me a similar vibe. The first 3 or hours I really didn’t understand why people liked the series so much. Then all of a sudden it just clicked and I was hooked.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #30649 on: January 22, 2018, 12:03:35 PM »
I've been playing a bunch of Bridge Constructor Portal recently. It's a neat take on the genre and uses the Portal gimmicks pretty well. You have to send cars through portals t bypass turrets, bounce off of the various gimmick gel from Portal 2, trigger switches to drop companion cubes on things.

One thing that's a bit different about it from what I'm used to is that it doesn't limit progression based on how much resources you use. In other games like this it'll put a limit on how much money you can spend based on the kind of tools you use. So a support beam might cost 100, or a road might be 50, or a suspension cable might be 200... etc etc. In this game, everything costs money but none of it is factored into a score or progression.

So in practice you're incentivized to go fucking crazy with your designs and use as much as you want, and I'm pretty sure the levels are designed with that in mind. The only time the money comes up is to tell you "how much money you've wasted" 

It's a fun little thing.
nat

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #30650 on: January 22, 2018, 04:23:47 PM »
Still playing Warframe even though i have other games to play because i'm a fucking idiot  :snoop

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #30651 on: January 23, 2018, 12:05:26 AM »
One thing that's a bit different about it from what I'm used to is that it doesn't limit progression based on how much resources you use. In other games like this it'll put a limit on how much money you can spend based on the kind of tools you use. So a support beam might cost 100, or a road might be 50, or a suspension cable might be 200... etc etc. In this game, everything costs money but none of it is factored into a score or progression.

So in practice you're incentivized to go fucking crazy with your designs and use as much as you want, and I'm pretty sure the levels are designed with that in mind. The only time the money comes up is to tell you "how much money you've wasted" 

It's a fun little thing.
yeah i think the only thing they've ever done in the series is cap out the money you have on any given stage

once in the original game i built something that had no right to be constructed under any kind of system, but rather than stop and rethink my monstrosity i kept building cheap wooden supports at the weak points so it would stay up just long enough for the trucks to get over before collapsing

VICTORY :success

benjipwns

« Reply #30652 on: January 23, 2018, 12:07:52 AM »
i think they do sometimes give you bonuses for using as little as possible, as i remember one time i built a ramp based around the principle that the cables would fail and it would fall but the cars would be far enough ahead that it deposited them over an obstacle into the goal with everything behind crashing into the canyon

otherwise you had to build something using a support system and i couldn't figure it out to get the maximum score of stars or something like that

benjipwns

« Reply #30653 on: January 23, 2018, 12:12:17 AM »
VINNY BRIDGE CONSTRUCTING:

so of course, they did Medieval too
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

and i see now Portal to complete the trilology:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

BUT NOT STUNTS?!? smh

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #30654 on: January 23, 2018, 07:09:31 AM »
I remember playing a primitive, wireframe version of that game in 7th grade tech class...
^_^

Corporal

« Reply #30655 on: January 23, 2018, 11:29:59 PM »
I think I played this kind of bridge building game as a flash or java browser game during school lessons...

Anyway. Currently farting around in Skyrim (on Switch, so: vanilla Skyrim without mods). I am somehow terrible at the combat now, as opposed to when I put the game down a month ago or so. Even normal enemies wreck me. I'm still at Level 12 with most points in sneaking and archery, but the magic mutated ice elf boss in a cave that I need to annihilate for a quest can two-shot me and still manages to spot me even if I'm stealthy as all fuck. Oh well. I have like fifty minor HP potions and an entire county's worth of produce in my pockets, so I'll just facetank this, but it's kinda boring to do it this way.

So many bugs though. I've had people leap into the skies, I've gotten perma-stuck in nearly everything, and died from jumping off a knee high stone. Sometimes, random items glue themselves to my legs and follow me around like that. Sneaking makes my weapon twitch as if I had a car battery attached to my nuts. I somehow randomly acquired a horse that spawns nearby when I fast travel somewhere, but it hates me and walks away as soon as it does. I can ride it, but as soon as I get off it resumes its treck towards who knows where. Loading a save during gameplay doesn't reset all flags, apparently - sometimes mobs retain aggro, which is kinda counter productive.

Scrounged together enough to buy my first house and even a kiddie bedroom for the single orphan in the entire first city. Because why not. It feels kinda forced, but when I watch her decimate the training dummy in her bedroom all throughout the night, my chest swells with pride. Who needs sleep or toys. Just fuck up that straw doll, sweetie. Next up, well go out and shank a bum or two. I can already feel us bonding.
!list

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #30656 on: January 23, 2018, 11:33:42 PM »
I never adopted a kid in skyrim because those shits are ugly and annoying. I'm pretty sure Bethesda hates children because in their games they're always a fucking nightmare to be around.
pcp

kingv

« Reply #30657 on: January 24, 2018, 09:49:50 AM »
They need to bring back ishooting kids in fallout

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #30658 on: January 24, 2018, 10:45:45 AM »
They need to bring back ishooting kids in fallout

everything okay at home?
©@©™

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #30659 on: January 24, 2018, 11:24:24 AM »