Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3558154 times)

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #30960 on: March 26, 2018, 10:44:30 AM »
Finally finished Xenoblade Chronicles 3DS god, that last act took forever Overall, I can't escape the feeling that I would've loved the hell out of this if I was younger. Loads of side quests, huge locations, and tons of content. But my grumpy old self felt that the side quests didn't matter at all, there's a ton of padding, and the game had little respect for the players time. I think FFVIII was the last time I remember when a game pulled out the whole "From here on you wont be able to save" then throws 4 end bosses at you. Still the combat was really good, though I think the seal mechanic really felt bolted on. In some ways it's like The World Ends With You, in that it has too many sub-systems for its own good. Still I really liked it. It was very good. If I was in a different part of my life I would've loved it.
que

Freyj

« Reply #30961 on: March 26, 2018, 11:20:17 AM »
You’d probably feel that way with most JRPGs now, I know I do. I had a difficult time finishing Persona 5 even.

I’m enjoying Ys VIII but it does enough different to ward off the JRPG / anime jank.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #30962 on: March 26, 2018, 11:33:03 AM »
When it comes to Xenoblade Chronicles, the side quests definitely don't matter. :lol

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #30963 on: March 26, 2018, 11:38:14 AM »
Doing my part Spieler1.

Playing The 25th Ward: The Silver Case. Haven't run into the insane stuff I'm expecting yet. Soundtrack of the year already.

Freyj

« Reply #30964 on: March 26, 2018, 11:56:57 AM »
When it comes to Xenoblade Chronicles, the side quests definitely don't matter. :lol

Yeah this too. I ignored most of them after the first few zones.

I played the Euro version (I think?) on a hacked Wii and liked the sorta, kinda, maybe FFXII combat and open areas but didn’t get the hype at all. X was even better on those fronts but the whole game was side quests and zzzz. I’d like to check out 2 if it ever goes on sale, but I’m concerned this shit just ain’t for me anymore.

paprikastaude

« Reply #30965 on: March 26, 2018, 12:37:28 PM »
Doing my part Spieler1.

Playing The 25th Ward: The Silver Case. Haven't run into the insane stuff I'm expecting yet. Soundtrack of the year already.

I started it a day ago. So far it made me think back to Destroyman and believe Suda might have unresolved problems with postal workers.

Also I'm assuming this is another Masafumi Takada OST  :lawd (Also that Killer7 navigation  :wow )

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #30966 on: March 26, 2018, 06:38:47 PM »
I'm about to leave for the field study in chapter 4 of Trails of Cold Steel. Unfortunately my staycation is over so I'll be playing through this a LOT slower since I don't get much game time anymore... It feels a bit more repetitive than the TITS games - you have your free day where you run around school doing quests, the field exam, and then going to a town for the field study. Slows the pacing down quite a bit, but then again the Trails games always had slow pacing. I liked the Nord Highlands area, really nice music and a more open environment to explore than most of what I've seen in the Trails series so far.
^_^

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #30967 on: March 27, 2018, 11:46:05 PM »
Bloodborne beaten again

Laurence was a bitch, the long runback where you have to wait for the church doors to open every time made it worse. Died almost as much as I did to ludwig.

Maria was very cool, first try but it was close.

The bowblade kinda broke the game after this. Like range does in all of the souls series. The chalices became a joke as bosses have no way to cope with the distance.

Orphan of Kos was intense but not so bad, did it on my 5th attempt. I definitely over-prepared: level 160, wearing the best armor, good gems and runes. I had to use the blood of adeline and an iosefka blood vial though. Didn't have the time to shoot arrows in the second phase so I used a 10+ rakuyo without locking on.

Gehrman and Moon Presence back to back was a nice ending. The MP move where you go down to 1 health was fucked up but I still had enough vials to mitigate it.

Doing the last few chalices leaves you with way too many echoes, bought the maximum of every consumable by the end  :lol

bluemax

« Reply #30968 on: March 28, 2018, 01:50:54 AM »

Yeah this too. I ignored most of them after the first few zones.

I played the Euro version (I think?) on a hacked Wii and liked the sorta, kinda, maybe FFXII combat and open areas but didn’t get the hype at all. X was even better on those fronts but the whole game was side quests and zzzz. I’d like to check out 2 if it ever goes on sale, but I’m concerned this shit just ain’t for me anymore.

I dunno, I still like JRPGs but I feel like Xenoblade Chronicles is just kinda mediocre with a ton of useless stuff piled on that makes people gush over it while ignoring the flaws.
NO

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #30969 on: March 28, 2018, 11:42:26 AM »
bluemax might be right on this one. When I think about the RPGs that are really beloved (like Chrono Trigger) they tend to be very lean and without a lot of filler.
que

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #30970 on: March 28, 2018, 12:30:01 PM »
except for that whole new game plus thing

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #30971 on: March 28, 2018, 12:57:09 PM »
Speaking of filler, holy hell did I forget how much of it The Bard's Tale ('04) has. Every single area is bigger than it needs to be. I hated the raft sections most of all, though. Floating down a river at a fixed speed is shiiiiiiiiit, but then they go on for too long every. single. time.

It wouldn't be so bad if stunlocking weren't the best way to deal damage. The only way to fight that is more tedious and boring than that is to snipe enemies from outside their activation radius, which I resorted to plently as well before I had assembled a robust (literally) retinue of summons and good weapons (flails!).

Still amusing, but it just falls down as a game. I don't know why they felt the need to fuck with the formula established by Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath. They aren't good loot games, but the combat is fluid and brisk. Maybe to make up for the lack of loot and interesting combat abilities? Bad decision, either way.

ILikePizza

« Reply #30972 on: March 28, 2018, 06:41:37 PM »
Finished Mirrors Edge Catalyst.  I decided to check it out after seeing the Mirrors Edge thread from a week ago.  I would have preferred a level based campaign but the open world grew on me.   Some of the side missions were not fun at all though.   "Aurorian Cuisine" in particular was some bullshit.  It's a shame we'll probably never get a third game.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #30973 on: March 29, 2018, 09:28:27 AM »
Playing a little Oh, Sir… after grabbing on discount during PSN's spring sale. Some of the insults are funny, most are absurd. A few are plagued by poor QA failing to properly tag grammar which should work but the game doesn't recognize. It's fun insulting people as HP Lovecraft, so whatevs.

Probably need to finish Horizon Zero Dawn before setting it aside again, or I'll never finish it. I'm curious enough about how the story ends, but will not be purchasing the DLC or mopping up sidequests.

kingv

« Reply #30974 on: March 29, 2018, 01:08:01 PM »
It’s 2018, and you are play Borizon: Zero Fun instead of the fastest selling first party IP this generation.: Sea of Thieves.

I saw a video at E-triple with like 4 people and they were having a blast!

(I don’t know what it is about horizon, but that game just isn’t fun for me).

paprikastaude

« Reply #30975 on: March 29, 2018, 03:56:08 PM »
Anytime I feel like trying Horizon I see the character designs and go nope.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #30976 on: March 29, 2018, 07:21:06 PM »
It’s 2018, and you are play Borizon: Zero Fun instead of the fastest selling first party IP this generation.: Sea of Thieves.

I saw a video at E-triple with like 4 people and they were having a blast!

(I don’t know what it is about horizon, but that game just isn’t fun for me).
Didn’t end up buying an Xbox One this generation, only the PS4. So I am stuck playing cast off Zelda clones from guerrilla games instead of first person pirate simulators from zombied Brit developers.

Corporal

« Reply #30977 on: March 29, 2018, 10:27:38 PM »
Playing some Torchlight 1.

Oldie but goldie.

Man, why didn't this become a bigger franchise.  :(
!list

bluemax

« Reply #30978 on: March 30, 2018, 01:38:12 AM »
I played a decent amount of H:ZD and it was kind of fun but I can't honestly remember much of the story. I also had gotten to the point where monsters were getting tougher and it started feeling kind of tedious how long every encounter took.

The game is absolutely gorgeous though. But there are a lot of things about it that are hard to deal with post Breath of the Wild.

Haven't touched it since things got busy at work and I haven't really felt compelled to boot it up again when I have had time.
NO

Svejk

« Reply #30979 on: March 30, 2018, 08:18:41 AM »
To me, H:ZD suffered heavily from MGS:V syndrome.... Most Excellent, fun and addictive gameplay....   ...everything else,  :trigger :boring

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #30980 on: March 31, 2018, 02:29:13 PM »
Dead By Daylight is fun. Surprised by how much I enjoy Battlefront 2.
reckt

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #30981 on: March 31, 2018, 07:53:49 PM »
Did you start playing dbd recently Stealth?

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #30982 on: April 01, 2018, 03:16:57 PM »
This latest chapter in The 25th Ward was really cool.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
You have to rape a woman to win.
[close]

I love Suda51.

paprikastaude

« Reply #30983 on: April 01, 2018, 03:24:25 PM »
This latest chapter in The 25th Ward was really cool.

You have to rape a woman to win.
[close]

I love Suda51.

Probably just dry humping.

In a later chapter Jabroni says he's a virgin
[close]

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #30984 on: April 01, 2018, 04:15:24 PM »
yeah.
reckt

Corporal

« Reply #30985 on: April 02, 2018, 09:42:36 AM »
Time for some random German whine:

I am worried about Germany's rivers. The Greens asked the government to release an evaluation of our flowing waterways, and the result is pretty dang terrible. Link for the German-speaking Bores.

Out of close to 9000 surveyed rivers and other waterways, more than 93% didn't have their expected microcosm of fish and plants and whatever.

Only 6.6% could be judged as having a "good" ecologic status, and only 0.1% could achive "very good". 79% of all waterways have been "significantly or worse" altered by straightening them or damming them in, etc.

Biggest offenders however are the farmers. Chemistry and animal waste seem to ba a major factor. Surprise!

We did gain some more beavers and the salmons have returned. The former are a bit of a pest in certain areas however, since they don't have (m?)any natural predators.

Na Prost Mahlzeit. Didn't know it was quite THAT bad.  :yuck

Pet a beaver in my name or something, peeps.  :teehee

Also, happy world autism day, everyone.

Bonus random fact: Tomorrow, the 3rd April, it will be 30 years since the commercial release of the IBM PC convertible, the first IBM Laptop "in the wild". Or should one say, mobile PC. Also the first IBM PC with 3.5" Floppies. It's crazy how far we've come.
Quite the interesting piece of kit, though, with a static CPU, no HDD, and a "suspend" mode. And, for 2000$, not even that outrageously expensive, even accounting for inflation. I mean, it had a quite high resolution display as well, 640x200 pixel, and it was detachable, even!
!list

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #30986 on: April 02, 2018, 11:50:27 AM »
I don't know... you tell me.
Well, you made things harder for yourself out of sheer obstinacy. I think you know the answer. Given that you enjoy (?) handicapping yourself though... /shrug
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 12:00:48 PM by Rufus »

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #30987 on: April 02, 2018, 07:16:17 PM »
yeah.
I started about a month ago, it's pretty fun, though some of the community are verrrry salt/tilt prone. Luckily the games go by relatively quickly for the most part. Apparently most of the killers and survivors are gonna be unlockable soon, which is pretty rad

Fifstar

« Reply #30988 on: April 03, 2018, 05:23:11 AM »
Chrono Trigger?
Gulp

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #30989 on: April 03, 2018, 07:17:11 AM »
Well, you made things harder for yourself out of sheer obstinacy. I think you know the answer. Given that you enjoy (?) handicapping yourself though... /shrug

This is true and yes I enjoy it.

Do you guys know any short RPGs? Like short = 10 to 30 hours max. I have a list found somewhere on the internet of "short" RPGs:

- Alpha Protocol
- South Park games
- Suikoden 1/2 (is this true? JRPGs are normally very long)
- Tyranny (I believe it)
- Shadowrun (SNES)

Anything else?

What do you consider short? Like under 20 h? Under 30 h?

Suikoden 1 is about 20, Suikoden 2 is about 30-35 if you recruit all the characters.

Some other short RPGs:
Mother 3
Lucienne's Quest
Rhapsody
any of the Zeboyd Games (Cosmic Star Heroine, Penny Arcade 3/4, Breath of Death VII, Cthulu Saves the World)
Vagrant Story
Breath of Fire 5
Dragon Quest 1
Treasure Hunter G
Guardian's Crusade
Vandal Hearts
Phantasy Star 4
Eternal Sonata
The Last Story
Ys Origin through 6
^_^

kingv

« Reply #30990 on: April 03, 2018, 08:47:48 AM »
20-30 hours really is the sweet spot for RPGs, IMO. I only game maybe 4-10 hours in a week, so 30 hours is still achievable.

I think Witcher 3 took me like 5 months to beat.

paprikastaude

« Reply #30991 on: April 03, 2018, 09:35:02 AM »

Do you guys know any short RPGs? Like short = 10 to 30 hours max. I have a list found somewhere on the internet of "short" RPGs:

- Alpha Protocol
- South Park games
- Tyranny (I believe it)
- Shadowrun (SNES)

Anything else?

What do you consider short? Like under 20 h? Under 30 h?

Suikoden 1 is about 20, Suikoden 2 is about 30-35 if you recruit all the characters.

Some other short RPGs:
Mother 3
Lucienne's Quest
Rhapsody
any of the Zeboyd Games (Cosmic Star Heroine, Penny Arcade 3/4, Breath of Death VII, Cthulu Saves the World)
Vagrant Story
Breath of Fire 5
Dragon Quest 1
Treasure Hunter G
Guardian's Crusade
Vandal Hearts
Phantasy Star 4
Eternal Sonata
The Last Story
Ys Origin through 6

Nier 1, Bloodborne, Chrono Trigger, Crimson Shroud (8 hour long JRPG), Golden Sun

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #30992 on: April 03, 2018, 09:46:26 AM »

- Alpha Protocol
- South Park games
- Tyranny (I believe it)
- Shadowrun (SNES)

Anything else?

Orcs & Elves (on the DS)
©@©™

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #30993 on: April 03, 2018, 11:06:58 AM »
Finished Dragon Quest VIII 3DS finally.
I really love the addition of Morrie in the game. But playing this again brings to mind how flawed it can be. Loads of filler and the end game is just broken. You get to the Godbird fight and have to grind a bunch to beat her, but when you do you're at such a level you can win the rest of the game with just a little effort. It's like a difficulty spike and then a cliff.

Still it's dragon quest, so I love it. I just hope XI doesn't have so much filler.
que

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #30994 on: April 03, 2018, 11:46:29 AM »

Star Ocean 5 is supposed to be pretty short.
fat

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #30995 on: April 03, 2018, 12:12:20 PM »
Hopped back on FFXIV, with a side of OW and Rainbow 6 Siege.

Dead By Daylight is fun. Surprised by how much I enjoy Battlefront 2.
DbD is fun, definitely gonna play it more (along with Vermintide 2) when I need a break from some of my other games. I can’t invest in 4-5 different MMOs at once.

Edit: Hey Bebpo, if you ever come back I'm on Ultros!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 02:59:01 PM by Valkyrie »

Bebpo

« Reply #30996 on: April 03, 2018, 06:41:27 PM »
Yay, Ultros! Are you in the Era FC? I still log in each day or two, but right now just checking retainers and sending out my adventurer squads. When I've got some time I'll get back into it and do some of the raid/trial/job leveling stuff I still need. Next time I see you in-game I'll add you to friendlist in-game.

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #30997 on: April 04, 2018, 08:13:57 AM »
bought watch dogs 2 and doom on psn easter sale, and started watch dogs 2 only because i had the demo downloaded already so it was ready to play immediately. only a few hours in but i'm liking the stupidness of it all and how unsubtle in its references it is. i don't like how you need to click r3 to sprint and the car driving feels a bit off to me but otherwise the controls feel fine when on foot and the shooting is satisfying enough

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #30998 on: April 05, 2018, 06:22:24 PM »
Finally beat that real tough boss in Metroid: Samus Returns, up to Area 8 right near the end. Will probably finish it off this weekend while waiting for my car inspection. Also finishing up with chapter 4 of Trails of Cold Steel, haven't had much of a chance to play lately so I'm hoping this weekend is a bit quieter and filled with less errand-doing than last.
^_^

Freyj

« Reply #30999 on: April 06, 2018, 09:20:06 AM »
I fucked up my Tyranny playthrough badly by being a wishy washy bitch with heavy decisions in Act 1 and I need to play it again. Game has significant issues on the back half but I like the ideas. If it was a testing ground for Pillars 2 then I’m in love.

Freyj

« Reply #31000 on: April 06, 2018, 11:35:02 AM »
The game actively punishes you for trying to Bethesda appeal to everyone. It’s kind of amazing.

etiolate

« Reply #31001 on: April 07, 2018, 03:31:22 AM »
I am playing either:

-Steep = Best snowboarding/skiing game in awhile. First "whole mountain" attempt at this that works. The SSX attempts at this didn't get the feel or course setup right, and those games were better as trick/hiscore contests.  Steep realizes you need a lto of variety and more indirect paths.

-Vermintide 2 =  Played a lot of this at first, but have taken a break since it's kind of repetitive. A good L4D type game.

-Guild Wars 2 =  I just always play this. I do way less WvW now and more PVE achieves. I need to do a Raid again so I can record it and put it in a mix.

-Ara Fell =  A very good RPGmaker creation with a mix of more modern ideas like player choice, exploration and less grind/busywork. It has a story that keeps you somewhat interested and good atmosphere. Love the music and the map design that is full of special movement skills that you unlock as you go along. A tiny hint of metroidvania to it.

Freyj

« Reply #31002 on: April 07, 2018, 12:25:09 PM »
The Alliance Alive is the best JRPG I’ve played in years, maybe decades. It’s a SaGa game by another name, but you only gain HP and SP (MP) from battles, the other stats are fixed outside of gear. Sparking is still the primary skill system but everything is tied to weapon types and two types of magic.

Combat is centered around positions and formations that becomes something of a trinity system of tanks DPS and support. Pretty interesting as far as turn based JRPG combat goes. It usually trends towards the easier side, but always gives opportunities to explore and take on more challenging encounters / bosses for better gear, etc.

The story characters and dialogue are brief, well written and unlike the majority of JRPGs I’ve played in the last 15 or so years. Coming off of Ys VIII, it’s a breath of fresh air.

I’d thought I wouldn’t ever feel this way about a turn based Japanese RPG that wasn’t Dragon Quest / Etrian again, but here I am. I need to play The Legend of Legacy at some point.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #31003 on: April 07, 2018, 05:13:09 PM »
I really wanna play Alliance Alive, that'll probably be what I play on my flight to Japan. Been hearing lots of positive impressions and as a fan of classic RPGs/SaGa seems right up my alley.
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #31004 on: April 07, 2018, 10:25:47 PM »
Interesting. I heard Legend of Legacy was pretty terrible and this was like psuedo-sequel so I didn't have much hope.

But the scenario is by Yoshitaka Murayama who created and wrote Suikoden 1-3 and is REALLY GOOD and has been relegated to twiddling his thumbs since Konami kicked him to the fucking curb 15 years ago (this was the Kojima shit a decade earlier). Murayama writing the script gets me interested for sure and people seem to be really liking it, so I may have to give it a run at some point.

I wish Murayama teamed up with some real stable rpg developer to make a new franchise. Suikoden 1-3 (and the plan Murayama had for 4+) is one of the best videogame stories and Trails of the Sky/Cold Steel which is currently great is extremely inspired by Murayama's scenario writing.

Freyj

« Reply #31005 on: April 07, 2018, 11:54:20 PM »
Hard SaGa games tend to alienate the usual JRPG audience so I haven’t really paid much attention to the Legend of Legacy reviews.

archnemesis

« Reply #31006 on: April 08, 2018, 01:52:02 AM »
I played The Legend of Legacy for half an hour it felt incredibly bland. Maybe it picks up after a while.

paprikastaude

« Reply #31007 on: April 08, 2018, 07:08:30 AM »
I wouldn't have been that interested in Alliance Alive to begin with, but it seems Atlus games are back to being b-tier releases in Europe without physical  :snoop  I thought DeepSilver or someone similar aquired publishing rights for Atlus, but apparently it's back to "normal" now.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #31008 on: April 08, 2018, 08:44:42 AM »
Would love to give MTG Arena a spin but it looks like I'll never get a fucking beta key :stahp

archnemesis

« Reply #31009 on: April 08, 2018, 09:01:45 AM »
Would love to give MTG Arena a spin but it looks like I'll never get a fucking beta key :stahp
Overall it is great. There are a handful of annoying UI issues, but I'm expecting them to be fixed before it goes public.

My only real concern is that it will take forever to grind for a draft ticket. I'd prefer a mode where players didn't keep the drafted cards, similar to Arena in Hearthstone.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31010 on: April 08, 2018, 11:05:17 AM »
Finally started Bloodborne Admittedly the first time I've tried a soulsborne game since I gave the first level of demon souls a whirl.
I have to say, I suck at it, big time.
But I LOVE the recovery system that forces you to be more aggressive. We'll see if I like it overall, but so far I'm taking it slow just exploring the level, not really caring if I die yet.
que

Corporal

« Reply #31011 on: April 09, 2018, 03:55:02 AM »
Please allow me to rant for a bit.

Dear game developers. If you make a game that can be played in local CoOp, and you force a single-player non-CoOp tutorial down the throat of anyone who wishes to play the game, then you are an ass and I wish I could piss in your breakfast cereals for the rest of your natural born life.

Had a feel-good weekend with a friendo who has been, once again, feeling down in the dumps. Being a father of a tiny wormling is hard, and the times you can set aside for such a luxurious undertaking are to be counted on one hand.

So, when he opted for Payday 2 for Switch while we sat in his go-to pub I was already feeling a certain amount of dread. That version reportedly ain't the best in terms of support or content (true to form, it would later on crash to "desktop" twice on his switch during the first tutorial mission).

Siiiiiigh. Probably FOUR missions in full-on local-only no-CoOp tutorial? Are these guys serious? My friend couldn't even finish the first one between crashes and newbness (omg no crosshairs fuck me how'd I get detected oh noes body bag throwing is hard), so seemingly mandating more than one mission (with assorted loading screens and other annoyances) is really pushing it.
Or maybe we just fucked up. If you exit the tutorial via pause menu you can get to the main screen, so we experimented with play -> crime.net online and -> crime-net local wifi or whatever, and neither of us showed up as hosting a game when we did. Plus, the tutorial missions would flash angrily at us. We also managed to find a hosting interface that requires money which you probably earn at the end of the tutorial or something, but that seems like crap design for CoOp since you could possibly run out of "multiplayer monies" that way, forcing you to grind in singleplayer. Anyway, that's not the kinda thing you want to be fiddling with, beer in hand after and during a heart to heart with a good buddy.
In the end we just shelved that and played some Mario Kart (I suuuuck) and Splatoon (we suuuuuck) and ARMS (just enough suckage detected to be enjoyable, but bad fit for these casual non-sober situations).

Slightly smug "I told ya so" Corporal then grabbed Mercenary Kings to play on the big screen after we got home because I thought it'd be Metal Slug like, and such a game should be pretty fun when you're already in IDGAF mode... We already had a few "frustration beers" in, so dunno whether the following was my fault or not, and we were decidedly NOT in the mood to experiment or invest much effort after the previous blunder so whateverthefuck.
That game seems to support one-Switch CoOp via a four-way screen split. ONLY via four-way splitscreen.
Like, WHAT. You can't see shit on friendo's modest-sized TV. What kinda Metal Slug game would force you to play in 640x480 in a separate stamp-sized corner of a screen? It's probably for teh lootz with stats and inventory management, but there's gotta be better approaches for that.

In the end, a family emergency had his wife run off (to deal with that) and relegated us to babysit his little spawn. So, CoOp weekend went bust. I somewhat blame the devs of the above games for that too.  >:(

It's a cute kid though, and I hadn't played with DUPLOTM or read and re-enacted a book to a spellbound audience before, so that was fun in its own way. Still, what a waste of a perfectly good 60-ish bucks.
!list

Bebpo

« Reply #31012 on: April 09, 2018, 12:29:49 PM »
I was looking at my list of stuff I've beat this year. Normally I clear about 30-55 games a year. It's April and I haven't finished one game unless you count the FF14 patch expansions. It's not like I haven't been gaming, but just been playing a lot of big ass grindy games that I got burnt out on & still haven't finished like XB2, MHW. Gonna be a very slim gaming year for me :X

Also I played a bunch of Celeste on my trip and it's pretty great. Should get back to it at some point. Played through the hotel chapter.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #31013 on: April 09, 2018, 05:33:19 PM »
Overall it is great. There are a handful of annoying UI issues, but I'm expecting them to be fixed before it goes public.

My only real concern is that it will take forever to grind for a draft ticket. I'd prefer a mode where players didn't keep the drafted cards, similar to Arena in Hearthstone.

Get me a fucking key :brazilcry

bluemax

« Reply #31014 on: April 10, 2018, 01:27:27 AM »
I played The Legend of Legacy for half an hour it felt incredibly bland. Maybe it picks up after a while.

I played it for a couple of hours and it never really got that interesting. I think I ended up not really knowing what to do as well, so typical SaGa in that regard.
NO

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #31015 on: April 10, 2018, 02:53:20 AM »
Playing some Torchlight 1.

Oldie but goldie.

Man, why didn't this become a bigger franchise.  :(
corporate politics did a lot to this

if you remember, they originally intended on doing Torchlight, then 2 would start the transition to an eventual MMO

the first game was put out by a team of less than 20 people in under a year, then as they transitioned into multiplayer and further expansion, they sold a large chunk of the company to Perfect World and shortly after II's release, half or more of the original founders started leaving (Rebel Galaxy is from part of them) and the idea of doing an MMO had been scrapped, this meant the company no longer fit into Perfect World's corporate model but since the Torchlight games did really well vs. the cost involved, they acquired and kept Runic around as some diversity in the company

then while Hob did quite well critically, it took too long (five years) and sold poorly and it fit even less into Perfect World's model

Perfect World or some other Chinese conglomerate actually still has the Torchlight license and last year released a mobile Torchlight sequel in Asia, and i believe it's now available worldwide, with all your customary in-app purchases and PvP and so on along with a more...Asia friendly? aesthetic to the design...the reviews from torchlight fans don't seem to be very positive about it
As a faithful interpretation of the PC version, Torchlight Mobile renders the world of stunning 3D graphics with ultimate randomness and freedom, focuses on exploring and conquering different dungeons with epic equipments as well as powerful pets. With a brand-new Skill Combination system and various combat modes, like 1v1, Pets PK, Arena Championship and Guild War, players can create their own series of skills to perform various effects in the damage and defeat epic enemies with styles in Torchlight Mobile.

i guess some... relics... from Relic actually stuck around after the studio was shut down to work on it and continue to work on it possibly through some other Chinese game company (that's a subsidiary of a medical device company from what i can tell) that's been doing a bunch of the Final Fantasy spin-off games for mobile

BUT the same company seems to have put this out:

HOW DARE YOU KICK ME? YOU     WANN A DIE?!?

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #31016 on: April 10, 2018, 04:48:24 AM »
The depth of your knowledge of random technical things and tidbits like that always impresses me. I gave a half hearted search as to why there was never a Torchlight 3 and never found shit as informative as that. I'd read your blog

Bebpo

« Reply #31017 on: April 10, 2018, 01:18:21 PM »
Tyranny was enjoyable (I played it twice and saw pretty much all the branching for the main scenario) but after playing Pillars 1 it really feel forgettable. It's just so short and low budget. It feels like an interesting world but never really goes further with it. I mean I'd still say it's a good 8/10, but I can't remember any of the teammate characters, or even much about the generals a couple years later. I did like the ending though. Thought it had more fun with meaningful choices than Pillars' ending.

Like I read all the novellas & world lore guides, just like I did with Pillars after beating both and didn't really enjoy the Tyranny stuff much because in the end I just wasn't that interested in the world/characters. Otoh, I liked the Pillars stories because it feels like a much bigger and interesting world they're developing.

Now if they did a Tyranny 2 and expanded the world a lot, I'd definitely be excited. Not sure if it sold well enough to do that.

I also never got the feeling of building up a team combat-wise because the game is so short with just snippets of combat here and there between dialogues. I really liked the aspect of Pillars where you're building up a strategic combat team throughout the game and getting stronger and stronger.

Freyj

« Reply #31018 on: April 10, 2018, 01:20:03 PM »
The depth of your knowledge of random technical things and tidbits like that always impresses me. I gave a half hearted search as to why there was never a Torchlight 3 and never found shit as informative as that. I'd read your blog

Benji’s Vidya and Comics Minutia Blog when

Freyj

« Reply #31019 on: April 10, 2018, 01:23:16 PM »
Tyranny sort of has this idea of significantly fewer but more meaningful encounters that I hope Obsidian can develop further at some point.

My only real complaints about the game are that I fucked up my choices and the game was most assuredly about halfway through development when Obsidian said fuck it ship it. Not that unfinished Obsidian games is a new thing, but this is less a few glaring bugs and more Xenogears Disc 2.