Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3588799 times)

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #31800 on: September 01, 2018, 09:37:44 PM »
One of those games I wish was just a solid movie/comic book instead. I like stealth games too but I pretty much only care about the world. I think I walked around everywhere with the heart out :lol

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #31801 on: September 01, 2018, 09:58:05 PM »
How boneheaded are SquareEnix. Lets release an important JRPG AFTER a meaty three day weekend. I mean, we missed the Summer entirely. Nothing like a timesink right at the start of the school season. We're gonna need a bigger pillow *Dragon Quest writhes in agony*
:9

paprikastaude

« Reply #31802 on: September 01, 2018, 10:04:28 PM »
been slowly picking at Horizon. was bored as shit for the first few hours and couldn't for the life of me figure out why. then i turned off the hud and remembered games are way more to me fun when i can play them intuitively instead of relying on a million icons and guides and whatnot.

I'm currently playing Yakuza Kiwami 2 which wants you to put on a mission locater from the get-go and it's crazy how much a difference it makes if you suddenly turn such things into a lame af checklist.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #31803 on: September 02, 2018, 03:30:14 AM »
A Hat in Time? More like a crap in time.

Both the level design and the platforming are kinda rough. How some people put this above Super Mario Odyssey is beyond me.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31804 on: September 02, 2018, 10:01:51 AM »
Finally fired up my 360's copy of DISHONORED. I love the world, the look, and the overall atmosphere. It's steampunk without everything having brass gears glued to it. It has internal consistency.

But I'm not very good at it just yet. The movement is unusual, made more so by my controller's somewhat misbehaving left analog stick. I slide when I don't intend to. I slip under tables as i approach to read a letter that's on top of it. I fall from rooftops. It's annoying, but the game appears to allow for scumsaving, so I'm getting accustomed to using that before trying anything weird. It feels SO STRANGE to scumsave on a console game.

:D
What

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #31805 on: September 02, 2018, 11:48:33 AM »
How boneheaded are SquareEnix. Lets release an important JRPG AFTER a meaty three day weekend. I mean, we missed the Summer entirely. Nothing like a timesink right at the start of the school season. We're gonna need a bigger pillow *Dragon Quest writhes in agony*

Japan doesn't care about American holidays.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #31806 on: September 02, 2018, 11:51:00 AM »
Finally fired up my 360's copy of DISHONORED. I love the world, the look, and the overall atmosphere. It's steampunk without everything having brass gears glued to it. It has internal consistency.

But I'm not very good at it just yet. The movement is unusual, made more so by my controller's somewhat misbehaving left analog stick. I slide when I don't intend to. I slip under tables as i approach to read a letter that's on top of it. I fall from rooftops. It's annoying, but the game appears to allow for scumsaving, so I'm getting accustomed to using that before trying anything weird. It feels SO STRANGE to scumsave on a console game.

:D
Oh, shit. Movement is totally broken?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 12:12:44 PM by chronovore »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #31807 on: September 02, 2018, 12:02:11 PM »
Dishonored is stupid broken with Blink and the Void powers. Save Scumming rules and is how all stealth games should be played

If your stealth game doesnt let me save scum it's trash
fat

kingv

« Reply #31808 on: September 02, 2018, 01:19:21 PM »
From what I played of no man's sky, the technical achievements were amazonf, but like many procedural generated games, kind of lifeless. The world's were interesting to look at, but only really in your immediate surroundings, because while the planet's were planet-sized they were covered in the exact same terrain without any interesting waypoints.

And the actual game itself was just terrible. It was just walk around and get resources while running from the terrible combat with the robots.

This was near launch, so no t really sure how much it has improved. My thoughts were that somebody one day is going to use that technology to create something amazing

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31809 on: September 02, 2018, 07:02:17 PM »
Moar Nier

I'm at 75% quests now. And basically it all comes down to:

- Killing
- Death
- Suicide

This game wants to squeeze out the last drop of hope you might have to see an happy end  :lawd
🤴

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #31810 on: September 02, 2018, 07:38:19 PM »
Might have to get Scum. I didn’t know you could shit in the game. Sold.
serge

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #31811 on: September 02, 2018, 11:15:55 PM »
Been Playing Warframe as usual and some Destiny 2

Also was trying to beat the Senator on Hard in Metal Gear Rising: Revengenace but i'm just trash :fbm

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #31812 on: September 03, 2018, 04:56:18 AM »
Aquanox, aka Archimedean Dinasty 2. It's a space combat 'sim', except you're under the sea.

The surface has become unhospitable to human life, so humanity now lives below the ocean. You're Emerald "Deadeye" Flint (which tells you all about the writing you need to know), a mercenary/secret agent who does missions for various factions to keep the underwater cyberpunk civilization 'Aqua' from tipping over the edge.

I couldn't be fucked to set-up my joystick and KBM was too uncomfortable, so I tried the 360 controller configuration PCGamingwiki provides and it works great. Navigation is still awkward, but I can do the missions without too many retries now.
I do however end up in boring damage races a lot, locked face to face with the enemy, rather than exciting dogfights or long range engagements. Seeking torpedos are scarce and expensive (I prefer to save up for ships or powerful guns), and you have no lead indicator, so this might just be the way they expect you to play.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #31813 on: September 03, 2018, 06:47:56 AM »
Just got Darkest Dungeon.

It's a bit... overwhelming? And it's quite lacking in the explanations department.

Other than that, it's OK so far.

Fifstar

« Reply #31814 on: September 03, 2018, 07:12:46 AM »
Played through Subsurface Circular. Recommended if you like classic sci fi stories like Assimov. It's probably the most non-game thing I ever played but the basic form of interaction (you interrogate other robots) added something to the story. That's actually more than I can say about interactive storytelling in 99% of other videogames. Also the game might have the coolest implementation of rumble on switch.
Gulp

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #31815 on: September 03, 2018, 06:05:27 PM »

It's a bit... overwhelming? And it's quite lacking in the explanations department.

I was unhappy about the L-to-R party ordering having such an effect on combat. Maybe people got smarter about it, but I still spend more time than I want shuffling people around.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31816 on: September 04, 2018, 01:38:27 AM »
I'm still on wizardry 8 I think I've finally "gotten gud" I can handle/survive most of what's thrown at me now (although sometimes it's still a struggle).
I've gotten to a point where I feel like I've opened up the map extensively and now I can almost go anywhere. But then I'm faced with a problem....where to go?
I miss games like this.
que

Raist

« Reply #31817 on: September 04, 2018, 02:06:15 AM »

I was unhappy about the L-to-R party ordering having such an effect on combat. Maybe people got smarter about it, but I still spend more time than I want shuffling people around.

You mean while in combat, or in between?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #31818 on: September 04, 2018, 06:33:11 AM »

During combat. I keep wanting to do useful stuff, but have to shuffle my characters around to get them into or out of range.

Raist

« Reply #31819 on: September 05, 2018, 01:59:32 AM »

During combat. I keep wanting to do useful stuff, but have to shuffle my characters around to get them into or out of range.

Yeah, it can be annoying, especially at the beginning when you have no idea what you're doing, until you find the right combinations that are broken (the classic roguelike formula). It does add some degree of strategy to the game, as opposed to a "plain" dungeon crawler, so that's something.

I wish there was a bit less RNG though, especially for the Quirk system. Doesn't really make sense to me to make a really good run and end up with 4 random shitty negative traits, it should be based on perf and some determined events.

bluemax

« Reply #31820 on: September 05, 2018, 04:13:39 AM »
think I'm gonna try and stick it out with FF15. Maybe try some of the DLC.

I got Murasma Rebirth on my Vita, along with Soul Sacrifice Delta (been picking at this for years now), Oreshika and Sundered.

You can probably beat the 3 FFXV story DLCs in about 3-4 hours assuming you're not trying to get all the trophies. Each one play's kinda like a scaled down version of another genre.

Also Royal Edition adds a bit more to the final dungeon area, and some more story before the final boss fight.

Thank goodness for broken street dates, otherwise I'd be feeling this.
NO

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #31821 on: September 05, 2018, 02:31:39 PM »
The invisible question mark clouds in Yoshi's Woolly World are pissing me off. Having to find collectibles you can't see for 100% completion.

They should take the person that came up with this shit, shove yarn Yoshi in their mouth and watch em choke on their own spit.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #31822 on: September 05, 2018, 08:05:32 PM »
weird, i only have the base install completed for god of war 3 yet it seems like im able to play the full game aside from the treasures section in the menu.

anyways, yep this is a god of war game alright. they really didn't change the formula in the slightest til the reboot. like even the combos stay exactly the same throughout the whole series. reminds me of mega man's nes run, but i feel like even those had more variety. doesn't help that kratos goes to a bunch of the exact same locales as the old games so you don't even get variety of scenery in this one. whatever though, as a sort of beat em up it works fine and I'll see it through to the end.
pcp

Raist

« Reply #31823 on: September 06, 2018, 03:06:50 PM »
Which is that weird?

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #31824 on: September 06, 2018, 05:17:42 PM »
i thought with most games you were only able to play up to a certain point before the game would stop you and make you wait til it was finished downloading. it's also weird bc i only had about 4 out of 34 gb downloaded but it didn't seem to matter.
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #31825 on: September 06, 2018, 05:22:34 PM »
im getting kind of sick of playing Horizon and it's mainly due to the fact that every fucking npc is an asshole. like how do you write an entire open world game and have every single character is a condescending dickhead? even the random "filler" npcs say shit "and why do think I'd want to speak to you?" it's like going on a journey through a shitty rich suburban neighborhood or something. at least give me the option to kill these motherfuckers, because trying to humble them by successfully doing what they ask is just no.
pcp

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #31826 on: September 06, 2018, 07:12:56 PM »
im getting kind of sick of playing Horizon and it's mainly due to the fact that every fucking npc is an asshole. like how do you write an entire open world game and have every single character is a condescending dickhead? even the random "filler" npcs say shit "and why do think I'd want to speak to you?" it's like going on a journey through a shitty rich suburban neighborhood or something. at least give me the option to kill these motherfuckers, because trying to humble them by successfully doing what they ask is just no.

Just play it for the graphics. It really is an awfully average game.

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #31827 on: September 07, 2018, 02:14:41 AM »
Horizon is a bore
reckt

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #31828 on: September 07, 2018, 03:12:32 AM »
Horizon is basically just an Ubisoft game but with actual polish on the end product.

I like how the main character being an outcast is actually effective for you, since you get offended by the npcs treating her as one. 10/10

Games are art!

Svejk

« Reply #31829 on: September 07, 2018, 07:33:39 AM »
The roboanimals had more personality than the npcs.  The human interactions were by far the most boring parts. 

And Aloy's head...
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

But that combat though...  :ohyeah

Shuri

« Reply #31830 on: September 07, 2018, 09:30:29 PM »
Finished Zombie Revenge on the sega Naomi. The second to last level has you returning to the House of the dead mansion! It's still a great game, but the final boss is.. a bit lame and cheap.

Still a great game, but Die Hard Arcade is the goat of mid '90 beat 'em ups.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31831 on: September 08, 2018, 12:23:20 AM »
That lady blacksmith in horizon tho

:aah
What

paprikastaude

« Reply #31832 on: September 08, 2018, 03:35:52 AM »
Final Fantasy XII 2 - It seems to have a nice light-FF12 atmosphere going for it and Vaan is a real character now. Too bad I still suck at strategy games. I thought I might get into this better since it's real time and not rostered. Yet I fail at some of the earliest missions, despite this supposedly being baby's first RTS  :lol fuck this genre. I guess I shouldn't get FF Tactics PSP despite it still being cheap, I don't see that going well for me.

FStop7

« Reply #31833 on: September 08, 2018, 04:47:52 AM »
Tuns out Spider-Man is pretty good.  It’s missing some variety, though. 

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #31834 on: September 08, 2018, 06:44:24 AM »
Sounds like it deserves that 8.7 

Translate it to the actual score and it's a 7/10 game.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31835 on: September 08, 2018, 08:08:36 AM »

From what I was told by someone who once was an intern at Guerilla the NPC demeanor perfectly matches that of the studio leads.  :doge
🤴

archie4208

« Reply #31836 on: September 08, 2018, 12:56:59 PM »

kingv

« Reply #31837 on: September 08, 2018, 01:37:36 PM »
I feel basically the same way about Spider-man. In a lot of ways I feel it is roughly on par with other licensed Spider-Man games.

It might have a bit more polish but it’s not clearly 100% better.

Something about the combat feels a little off to me, to where it feels less right than Arkham games. It feels like there is input lag or something. Especially with the dodging, I find I need to be very deliberate and hit the button before I feel like I should, or would for the counter in Batman.

This feels a little weird to me, because imo Spider-Man should have quicker reactions than Batman. Obviously different games from different studios, but Spider-Man borrows so heavily from it that it actively invites the comparison.

I like Spider-man so I like the game, but I’ve liked almost every Spider-Man game ever released

kingv

« Reply #31838 on: September 08, 2018, 01:45:08 PM »
I also agree with the swinging (at least so far). I haven’t played asm2 in probably a dozen years, so it’s hard for me to compare,  and maybe this will improve with unlocks, but it doesn’t quite have that physics based feel where there was a marked difference between swinging one-handed or two handed or you could catapult yourself like a slingshot and play with momentum.

It feels more canned... and also sort of slow. I got one speed upgrade though, and if the speed basically doubles by end game it might feel a bit better.

I agree with the comparison in ultimate Spider-Man. Swinging reminds me of that a lot from my memory anyway.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #31839 on: September 08, 2018, 02:34:40 PM »

From what I was told by someone who once was an intern at Guerilla the NPC demeanor perfectly matches that of the studio leads.  :doge

fucking ew, but i kinda figured that was the case. you can't write that many douchebags without having some intimate experience. some of alloy's tribe even reminded me of right wing midwestern jesusfreaks. ew.

anyways, I'll spend less time talking to npcs like wrath suggested, but for now i have dragon quest so that's gonna get all my time instead.
pcp

Freyj

« Reply #31840 on: September 08, 2018, 02:56:06 PM »
I've escaped the Heliodor Dungeon and is DQ11 "open world" a bunch of hallways? Like first 50 hours of FF13?

That's uhh... disappointing coming from DQ8. I forgot how it was in DQ9.

Great game otherwise but I want vast overworld and open areas not a bunch of boxes connected via tunnels.

I’d say the first real “dungeon” is an hour or so beyond that and it’s a little more standard DQ.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31841 on: September 08, 2018, 03:01:40 PM »
Never finished Rise Of The Tomb Raider, so I went back to play it before Shadow drops next week.  Turns out I played a lot less of it than I thought I did- had like four hours played and finished at over 21 hours.  Was pretty fun throughout and there were never any points where I didn't enjoy the game, but I think I like Tomb Raider 2013 more than this. 

The Baba Yaga expansion was fine and slotted itself right into the main game nicely, but Cold Darkness felt like an afterthought.  Kind of a boring map and I ultimately found that there was no reason to really engage most of the zombies since you can just sneak or run right past them.  The Croft Manor episode must have been made with VR in mind and was just a walking tour of the manor. :zzz  But then there's Lara's Nightmare, which takes the same level design and fills it up with the zombies from Cold Darkness, then puts in these floating skulls and a master key you need in randomized locations, adding some replay value.  This was a lot more fun, but for the most part I was also able to ignore most of the enemies and just run through everything. 

Really the only thing I didn't like -more a pet peeve than anything- is how all the Remnant villagers spoke with American accents.  That was just weird.  :lol

Started Spider-Man last night.  I skipped over all the previous 3D Spideys post the one from Neversoft on PS1, so it has been a while.  I don't see what's mediocre about the game at all.  It plays great, has good swinging mechanics and lets you just run up walls/buildings, combat is like a better version of Arkham, and they even let you tailor the game to your liking with options to disable button mashing segments and QTEs.  You can even turn off the puzzle mini-games if you don't care.  I like the one that's a Pipe Dream rip-off though.
ど助平

« Reply #31842 on: September 08, 2018, 05:58:34 PM »
So just started Zero Time Dilemma and wow does the 3D suck, what were they thinking with this shit? Did anyone else who play this get used to it? It's really making me want to drop it before I get any further in.

Also kinda fitting that my first post on this forum would be bitching at a Zero Escape game since some poster on here overselling how good VLR was in some topic last year was what got me into the series.

« Reply #31843 on: September 08, 2018, 06:25:37 PM »

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31844 on: September 08, 2018, 08:06:50 PM »
So just started Zero Time Dilemma and wow does the 3D suck, what were they thinking with this shit? Did anyone else who play this get used to it? It's really making me want to drop it before I get any further in.

Also kinda fitting that my first post on this forum would be bitching at a Zero Escape game since some poster on here overselling how good VLR was in some topic last year was what got me into the series.
Oh, the 3D isn't the only thing that sucks about that game. :hitler
que

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #31845 on: September 08, 2018, 08:10:25 PM »

I still loved ZTD, but it's the least good of the Zero Escape series. Definitely a bit of a disappointment after VLR.
©@©™

kingv

« Reply #31846 on: September 08, 2018, 09:21:27 PM »
I got about 5 or 6 hours into Spider-Man now and I wouldn’t call it mediocre, as  but everything is very well executed. It’s just sort of unremarkable.

As you unlock stuff, it definitely gets better, so my opinion is still subject to change by the end of the game with a full unlock tree, but as of now I find that it reminds me of a lot of the big tent pole fall games. Lots and lots of polish but very little interesting experimentation.

It’s a well-executed mass market game but not much more. For people who play a lot of games and have played a lot of games over the last 10 years it just feels like a lot of other games, and at least so far doesn’t really delight or surprise at any point. It’s like the gaming equivalent of a Marvel movie, which is fitting. I feel like I’ll beat it, enjoy it, but never care to touch it again after.

« Reply #31847 on: September 08, 2018, 09:32:04 PM »
I still loved ZTD, but it's the least good of the Zero Escape series. Definitely a bit of a disappointment after VLR.
I thought 999 was pretty disappointing game but with a very satisfying ending that tied everything up. VLR was the opposite, it was amazing until it completely shit the bed in the last two hours. I'd be satisfied if ZTD is somewhere in between without hitting the prequels high, so long as it also avoids their lows.

So far though, kind of finding it hard to concentrate on the game with the character model's weird wonky eyebrows.

Oh, the 3D isn't the only thing that sucks about that game. :hitler
Hope this is some sort of hint about Phi craving Sigma's D now that he isn't a gilf.

TVC15

« Reply #31848 on: September 08, 2018, 09:57:31 PM »
File Spider-Man next to God of War under “Overhyped but mediocre PS4 exclusives.”
serge

kingv

« Reply #31849 on: September 08, 2018, 10:17:14 PM »
The game it actually reminds me the most of is Middle Earth Shadow of War.

I’m not sure exactly why, but I get a very similar feeling playing Spider-Man as I did playing that when it released.

It might just be that the way Spider-man is built it feels like Warner Bros made it.

TVC15

« Reply #31850 on: September 08, 2018, 10:37:50 PM »
I’m pretty sure it’s going to the back of my queue, behind DQXI and Kiwami 2, after another play sesh. I generally love Insomniac, but early on, this feels like their weakest work since Fuse.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 11:08:52 PM by TVC 15 »
serge

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #31851 on: September 08, 2018, 11:18:33 PM »
High production values, low effort
sup

TVC15

« Reply #31852 on: September 08, 2018, 11:36:19 PM »

Yeah, at least God of War was trying something a little different. This feels like it just took a design doc from one of the previous mediocre open world Spidey games and spiffed it up. I wouldn’t have known this was done by someone like Insomniac if I didn’t know in advance.

I guess Insomniac needed some easy money.
serge

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31853 on: September 08, 2018, 11:39:49 PM »
dog

BisMarckie

« Reply #31854 on: September 08, 2018, 11:42:13 PM »
Thanks to archie I lost my entire saturday to Overwatch.

It's fun, but I suck at it :fbm

kingv

« Reply #31855 on: September 08, 2018, 11:44:26 PM »

Yeah, at least God of War was trying something a little different. This feels like it just took a design doc from one of the previous mediocre open world Spidey games and spiffed it up. I wouldn’t have known this was done by someone like Insomniac if I didn’t know in advance.

I guess Insomniac needed some easy money.

It feels like this is what beenox would have made it you have them $30 million to make a gams, honestly.

For a game with this level of production values thoufg, the soundtrack is shockingly bad. Open world music sounds like a licensed ps2 game.

TVC15

« Reply #31856 on: September 08, 2018, 11:53:14 PM »
Swinging around hasn’t changed much at all, and it’s probably one of the biggest areas that could have used improvement. It says something when big buff Batman in Arkham City can move around more naturally and with more precision in the air than Spider-Man.

(Note: Spider-Man would have to really shit the bed to be worse than Arkham Knight. I’m talking extended stealth sequences bad)
serge

kingv

« Reply #31857 on: September 09, 2018, 12:50:18 AM »
Did you get to the Miles Gear Solid part?

I’m not sure why they put the stealth sequences as other characters in the game.

TVC15

« Reply #31858 on: September 09, 2018, 12:54:25 AM »
Did you get to the Miles Gear Solid part?

I’m not sure why they put the stealth sequences as other characters in the game.

I hope I’m misreading this.
serge

kingv

« Reply #31859 on: September 09, 2018, 01:27:44 AM »
It’s not as bad as it could be, as it’s fairly short... but seems incredibly unnecessary.