Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3607071 times)

paprikastaude

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #31920 on: September 28, 2018, 05:31:44 AM »
Replaying Rayman Legends because of PS+ and it's still one of the GOAT platformers. Or rather, it would be, if it didn't end so abruptly with a poor postgame. However, this is a version I got into the online mode again, which is still fun and surprisingly active (though I guess because of PS+).
But those controls, constantly quick pace and worlds :lawd Best water world of any platformer. Also Origins content without its dumb progression system (i.e. full control set from the beginning).

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #31921 on: September 28, 2018, 08:21:22 PM »
Illusion of Gaia
Words difficult. Pictures look.
https://imgur.com/a/GzP53Dx

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31922 on: September 28, 2018, 08:34:56 PM »
Timespinners

just started but seems dope sotn style game
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31923 on: September 28, 2018, 10:28:46 PM »
Actually this game Timespinners is fucking amazing
What

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #31924 on: September 28, 2018, 10:44:28 PM »
Played some Ketsui last night and a couple modern-day Japanese arcade games. Fate Grand Order, the new Dissidia, and some weird Sega arcade game which resembles a Souls game and has a P5 crossover (this one was the best of the bunch). Kinda disappointed in the state of Japanese arcade games. Too many are either card-based games or complicated moba/3d arena battlers with way too many options and tutorials and gatcha style loot, where you'll spend more time on the tutorial than a classic shmup or beat em up would take to play through. The language barrier probably hurts here too, but these games kinda go against the pick up and play principles of classic arcade style design that Japan was synonymous with back in the day.
^_^

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #31925 on: September 29, 2018, 10:17:59 AM »
Illusion of Gaia
Words difficult. Pictures look.
https://imgur.com/a/GzP53Dx

lmao my god the story for this game was so fucking dumb
pcp

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #31926 on: September 29, 2018, 01:25:18 PM »
Yeah, I wish I had taken screenshots throughout. It's not just a wonky translation as I had initially thought.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31927 on: September 29, 2018, 01:31:01 PM »
Whenever you hear this, you know some fucked up shit is going to happen  :hyper

Bonus

spoiler (click to show/hide)

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
[close]
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 01:36:10 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #31928 on: September 29, 2018, 05:29:41 PM »
More Illusion of Gaia
https://imgur.com/a/CMRmH2u

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #31929 on: September 30, 2018, 02:30:39 PM »
lol the best scene in all of 16 bit gaming
pcp

Himu

« Reply #31930 on: September 30, 2018, 02:42:11 PM »
LMAO
IYKYK

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #31931 on: September 30, 2018, 07:40:04 PM »
Playing Shadow of the Colossus for the first time. Game is just :whew

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31932 on: October 01, 2018, 02:53:31 PM »
Seems like I just needed a short break from Wizardry 8 I took 2 days off and then went back to it and am enthralled again. Now I've started making enemies and things are starting to hit the fan. So close to the end, fights are starting to get seriously difficult. But having a blast again. I'm sad I missed this when it came out, really the amount of polish on this game is astounding for a game that came out when it did.
que

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #31933 on: October 01, 2018, 05:09:33 PM »
Now that I'm home from my vacay, it's time to start tackling the ch4 quests in Octopath. Also played some more Alliance Alive on my flight home, so I guess I'll continue with that. Want to have a clean slate for when I finally dive into DQ.
^_^

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31934 on: October 02, 2018, 12:28:24 PM »
Tried to fight the Sorceress Queen last night in Wizardry 8. 32 minutes of fighting before I got wiped out. :(

I managed to kill her but the 6 cultists each summon an elemental so I'm fighting like 18 things at once.  Oh well, I think maybe I should go and make more enemies.
que

Bebpo

« Reply #31935 on: October 02, 2018, 02:58:10 PM »
Playing Sen 4/Cold Steel 4. It's less interesting than CS2's start because CS2 had a better hook of going around re-meeting your teammates again in war scenarios, but Sen 4 should go pretty crazy once it gets past the intro stuff since it is the final concluding volume for not only the Cold Steel arc but the entire Kiseki series to date. So I don't mind the slow opening since it should pay off.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31936 on: October 02, 2018, 07:08:21 PM »
Jesu Christo why is no one else playing and talking about Kingmaker it’s so fucking good arglebargle raaarrrrgh oh god where are my sedatives
You mean Pathfinder? I made a post about it in the Rando thread.
All I've heard about it is that it's good but sorta cliche.
que

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31937 on: October 02, 2018, 08:04:59 PM »
I've been reviewing Mega Man 11.

As someone who started playing Mega Man games with the first game on the NES. It's lit  :rejoice
🤴

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31938 on: October 03, 2018, 12:21:40 AM »
I'll admit, I've only gotten about half way through Baldur's Gate 1 and even less of that in Baldur's Gate 2.

With BG1 I just sorta felt it was like "Here, take these cliches and walk from boring medival european location to another." Never really felt any sense of urgency or whatever. It was like "Something bad happens...wackiness ensues"

BG2 seemed better but I never really played beyond the first city. I figured I should go and play BG1 first. Maybe that was mistake.

But if Pathfinder Kingmaker is in that vein I don't know. I mean, I liked Shadowrun: Dragonfall but at the same time I was like "Is this the best we can do in this day and age? Can't we move beyond this old engine?"
que

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31939 on: October 04, 2018, 07:23:51 AM »
I've been reviewing Mega Man 11.

As someone who started playing Mega Man games with the first game on the NES. It's lit  :rejoice

It seems really well-done and polished.  Makes Mighty No. 9 look that much worse.

But since it has been a while since I played a Mega Man, certain stages are just kicking my ass.  Part of it is definitely my not using the double gear system enough.  I'm just so used to Mega Man not having it that I tend to not think about it.  Started on Normal difficulty and did the ice guy's stage first.  Had pretty much no problem going through it and then tried the fire bot's level- the sections where a giant flame wall came up were killing me to the point that I decided to start over on Casual difficulty ( :-[), which gives you more lives and way more level checkpoints...and did worse on the ice level and the same on the fire level.  :lol
:dead

You can use the ice weapon to freeze the fire wall for a bit which I need to try on the last section of that stage- I ran out of weapon energy for it last night.
:stahp
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 10:49:37 AM by bork »
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #31940 on: October 04, 2018, 04:54:37 PM »
Megaman 11 is good despite its crappy New Mario Bros aesthetics. Engaging level design, except Bounceman, so far.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31941 on: October 04, 2018, 06:37:51 PM »
Megaman 11 is good despite its crappy New Mario Bros aesthetics. Engaging level design, except Bounceman, so far.
Bounceman feels like it's from a Sanic game.

Pro tip: HOLD B (or whatever your Jump button is)

The stage is a breeze when you do.
🤴

kingv

« Reply #31942 on: October 04, 2018, 11:36:45 PM »
Mega man 11 needs NSMB music with that little dance move shit “ah.... Ah”

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #31943 on: October 05, 2018, 02:41:17 AM »
I'll admit, I've only gotten about half way through Baldur's Gate 1 and even less of that in Baldur's Gate 2.

With BG1 I just sorta felt it was like "Here, take these cliches and walk from boring medival european location to another." Never really felt any sense of urgency or whatever. It was like "Something bad happens...wackiness ensues"

BG2 seemed better but I never really played beyond the first city. I figured I should go and play BG1 first. Maybe that was mistake.

But if Pathfinder Kingmaker is in that vein I don't know. I mean, I liked Shadowrun: Dragonfall but at the same time I was like "Is this the best we can do in this day and age? Can't we move beyond this old engine?"

Pathfinder exists because some people didn't want a version of Dungeons & Dragons to die; it's not unexpected for a video game based on it to travel well-worn paths.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #31944 on: October 05, 2018, 07:41:03 AM »
Some of those old dnd rules are so fucking brutal. They punish you for ignorance at every corner.

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #31945 on: October 05, 2018, 08:10:54 AM »
metro 2033 redux. went through last light when it came out and loved it.

this feels and plays extremely similar, i'm assuming b/c of the changes made for the redux version.

graphics hold up well, some janky character/npc animations aside. must have looked amazing in 2010.

it's very linear which is fine, but i'm looking forward to exodus and its more open level design.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #31946 on: October 06, 2018, 09:26:01 AM »
If its your first AC game in a long time, Odyssey is gonna be amazing. If like us you've played all seventy zillion of them, game is boring wack shit
fat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Re: ASSASSINS CREED: GREECE
« Reply #31947 on: October 06, 2018, 12:00:29 PM »
My first Assassin Creed game (bar 2 hours of Assassins Creed 1 back in 2007). It's like... The Witcher 3 ???

(Image removed from quote.)

I'm in love with this game :heartbeat :heartbeat :heartbeat

Playing on Hard with 0 HUD. Will see how it goes :lol

Without all the good sidequests, a shitton of grindy ass content, copy and pasta enemy bases, microtransactions up the wazoo to buy more skins/mounts/weapons, a season pass and a shit story.

No thanks Borys.

It's your first AC game? Way to start off with the shit ones.

The only reason they try to make the new ones more RPG'ish is so you can spend more time playing them, grinding and leveling up. And in the end they try to sell you XP boosters and timesavers on top of the mounts and skins and weapons they sell in the ingame store for real money (HELIX POINTS LOL)

Fuck AC and Ubisofts shitty greed filled games
What

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31948 on: October 06, 2018, 12:05:08 PM »
Odyssey is pretty cool if you've never played an Assassin's Creed game before. Or any other Ubisoft game.
dog

paprikastaude

« Reply #31949 on: October 06, 2018, 12:09:21 PM »
Megaman 11 is refreshingly punishing. No modern bullshit like autosaving in the middle of a boss fight or removing Game Overs altogether.  :itagaki

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31950 on: October 06, 2018, 07:22:26 PM »
Finished Mega Man 11 today.

It lost some steam in the final Wily stretch but overall a really solid showing by the blue bomber.
Kinda crazy to think that me and Mega Man are now roughly the same age.  :doge
🤴

paprikastaude

« Reply #31951 on: October 07, 2018, 08:06:12 PM »
Just seen a video in which someone uses a weapon selection wheel in Megaman 11  :crazy  The game gives zero indication that this is a thing. Also,

I bit when I saw the remake for 20 bucks a few days ago. So far I gotta say I'm having much more fun than with the first remaster. The controls feel much more natural and responsive. It still has the annoying habit of the camera re-centering itself, but even that I feel isn't quite as stubborn as before. Finally I can join the hype train for this game  :rejoice

nvm the camera selfcentering is still kind of shit in SotC, but the other improvements still shine through. These boss fights are so far ahead of the rest of the industry even today, it's crazy.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 08:17:01 PM by Spieler1 »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #31952 on: October 08, 2018, 10:50:27 AM »
"Playing" Detroit: Become SJW

Graphics are nutty. Just using a Platinum Walkthrough
fat

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #31953 on: October 08, 2018, 03:35:05 PM »
Beat a few Ch 4 chapters in Octopath, now going for the extra job shrines... some of these bosses are hard af! Hoping to make it to the end by this weekend or next, then to play Alliance Alive some more and finally DQ.
^_^

BisMarckie

« Reply #31954 on: October 08, 2018, 04:53:49 PM »
In a moment of weakness I subsribed to the premium version of Origin access to try the new Madden and FIFA. To nobody's surprise they are basically the same game as their predecessors. But I get the added benefit of constant crashes of the PC Version of Madden.  :wow

But I finally played Titanfall 2 and it is awesome :lawd

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31955 on: October 08, 2018, 06:23:35 PM »
Since I liked Mega Man 11 so much I decided to get the Mega Man X collection.

Booted up Mega Man X and wrecked 3 bosses.
Mega Man X is so good.  :lawd
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #31956 on: October 09, 2018, 10:30:14 AM »
Playing through The Evil Within 2.

Even though it seems like a better game than the first one, the atmosphere seems lacking. Everything about it is too clean. The first one was like one of those b-horror movies. This is like a decent modern horror movie.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31957 on: October 09, 2018, 07:11:48 PM »
Got to Sigma's fortress on my second day of Mega Man X and I found all the upgrades by memory.
Then the spider beat me and I called it a day.

Awesome so far but the input lag is noticeable compared to the SNES classic and/or original (even though I played it in the 50hz PAL ghetto).
🤴

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #31958 on: October 09, 2018, 08:08:49 PM »
Origins had rng loot too.
©@©™

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #31959 on: October 10, 2018, 02:44:29 PM »
Ya, we havent played an assassin's creed in Greece at all. Unique
fat

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #31960 on: October 10, 2018, 02:44:49 PM »
Yeah.... so there's Diablo-like loot in it:

(Image removed from quote.)

Superb game. Don't listen to Jim Sterling (this time). He is 100% wrong here.

Jim Sterling used to be a entertaining and respectable personality until a couple years ago. He's basically adapted a celebrity tabloid magazine style with videogame fervor and outrage.

Most of the stuff he takes issue with are things that can be troublesome, and I agree with his sentiment. How he delivers his points and sentiment is fucking terrible. Nonstop snark and condescending, and bitching, every video.

He also gets big and finer details wrong, he'll twist something that's already bad into something worse to make his criticism more dramatic.

If you took every depressed and hopeless videogame forum user, and smashed them into a ball, you'd have Jim Sterling.

Used to be a lot cooler.

:whatsthedeal
OH!

mormapope

« Reply #31961 on: October 10, 2018, 03:25:30 PM »
My point isn't that he's wrong, it's that he comes accross as a dramatic bitch in every video he does.

OH!

mormapope

« Reply #31962 on: October 10, 2018, 03:49:23 PM »
AVGN is a critique and comedy based review series based around game design. Jimquisitions are rants and critiques based on anything from game design, studios, closures, marketing, publishing, and isn't comedic. There's humor and wit, but it's supposed to be taken at face value.

Jim Sterling as of now is not how he was for last gen consoles. He didn't post thumbnails for vids that have the headline style as TMZ or tabloid magazines.

Or maybe he hasn't changed but I have. I'd rather watch videos with in depth criticism of game design or mechanics, over someone reaffirming how bad some videogame practices are.

OH!

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #31963 on: October 10, 2018, 04:24:58 PM »
That's his schtick. That drives him views. I don't find any difference between Sterling and AVGN for instance.

You are literally lost, lmao

What the fuck, they are nothing at all alike
fat

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31964 on: October 10, 2018, 06:24:31 PM »
Jim Sterling used to have a nice balance between things he likes and dislikes but these days he pretty much only rants and raves about things.
I guess it has something to do with the fact that his negative nancy rant videos have +300k views and his other videos don't crack 100k.

Checked his Patreon and he's actually getting paid $13k a month by suckers.  :doge
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #31965 on: October 11, 2018, 03:59:56 AM »
However for AC:Odyssey and the "boosters XP" drama he is just wrong. That's it. He is wrong, he bites the game from a wrong angle. His arguments fall flat and can easily be rebuked just by playing the damn game.

The fact that they even sell xp boosters show you the game is skewed in that direction. Cause people just wanting to play just the critical path have to buy them to get up to the required level. If you have to play the side-missions/content to get to the required level, they aren't actually side content. That people that have played these games for years don't want to play their copy-pasted side content isn't that weird to me.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31966 on: October 11, 2018, 07:00:53 AM »
I remember saints row 2 being dunked on cause you had to do side acvtivities so you continue the main story.
What

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #31967 on: October 11, 2018, 08:43:21 AM »
I remember saints row 2 being dunked on cause you had to do side acvtivities so you continue the main story.

You didn't really need to do too many, and the perks you got for completing them were actually useful.  I played through the game several times (best open world game of that generation IMO) and I would just do the Snatch missions, which gave you unlimited dual uzi ammo and enough respect to get through most of the game.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31968 on: October 11, 2018, 10:52:16 AM »
Oh I know I probably did most if not all except for the barnyard racing one because the fps was so terrible on 360 with all the tnt barrels and explosion effects lol.

Best sr game tho.

Reviewers got annoyed about having to do too many sidemissions
What

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #31969 on: October 11, 2018, 04:19:30 PM »
Just buy some XP packs and legendary armor from the UbiStore.
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31970 on: October 11, 2018, 04:40:49 PM »
Finished Mega Man X.

Sigma's second form can be such an asshole especially with 100ms input lag but he's dead now, the fucker.
The war is over.

However, the best part about the Mega Man X collection is that there are 3 more Mega Man X games to play.
yassssss  :rejoice
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #31971 on: October 13, 2018, 08:44:43 AM »
It was probably considered pretentious garbage. Play Talos Principle instead.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31972 on: October 13, 2018, 09:13:30 AM »
Eh I really liked it until I got stuck and went on to play other games

I'm sure it's more interesting than AC though :P
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31973 on: October 13, 2018, 12:50:01 PM »
Lol Mega Man X 2 is kinda garbage  :lol
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #31974 on: October 13, 2018, 01:23:37 PM »
Just wait till you get to Mega Man X7.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #31975 on: October 13, 2018, 03:33:02 PM »

2 is really good, maybe my 3rd favorite after 1 and 4. I played 3 at a friend's, and it's totally not worth the price. Seems super-rushed, the animation and level of detail in the backgrounds isn't on par with the first 2 games, the stages and music are mediocre, and there are a few glitches.

TBH I haven't played MMX after 4, sounds like I haven't missed much.
^_^

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31976 on: October 13, 2018, 08:31:39 PM »

2 is really good, maybe my 3rd favorite after 1 and 4. I played 3 at a friend's, and it's totally not worth the price. Seems super-rushed, the animation and level of detail in the backgrounds isn't on par with the first 2 games, the stages and music are mediocre, and there are a few glitches.

TBH I haven't played MMX after 4, sounds like I haven't missed much.
I dunno, it seems much more gimmicky than the first game. Which was tightly designed all around.
2 seems so random. The music in some stages is just a garbled mess. Then there's the Dinosaur Tank stage which 'shakes' a lot but doesn't do anything else.
The design of the Mavericks is not as good as the design of the bosses in Mega Man X. Not to mention they've added in a lot of cheap deaths such as moving blocks with no predictable trajectory.

Garbage might be too harsh, but Mega Man X is a 9.9/10 this is like a 8/10 or 7/10.
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #31977 on: October 14, 2018, 02:37:16 PM »
Yoooo AC Odyssey is lit. If AC2 and MGSV had a love child, this game would be it. Kassandra is awesome, the combat is petty damn solid, the world is beautiful and packed full of content and loot. .. and I haven't even gotten off the first island yet!!  Haven't played some AC since AC2, so this feels fresh to me.  It even has some familiar Jesper Kyd tunes tucked in there.
 :delicious

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31978 on: October 14, 2018, 03:50:31 PM »
Yoooo AC Odyssey is lit. If AC2 and MGSV had a love child, this game would be it. Kassandra is awesome, the combat is petty damn solid, the world is beautiful and packed full of content and loot. .. and I haven't even gotten off the first island yet!!  Haven't played some AC since AC2, so this feels fresh to me.  It even has some familiar Jesper Kyd tunes tucked in there.
 :delicious

These things don't make any sense

In MGSV the combat is AMAZING.

Ofcourse if you've not played an AC game since AC2 it's gonna be fresh, this game is nothing like previous AC games ( bar Origins ).
What

Svejk

« Reply #31979 on: October 14, 2018, 07:44:48 PM »
MGSV having a large open world with heavy stealth mechanics with the versatility of head-on combat that's still fun and functional,  is what i was meaning by that.   But i agree about MGSV... it's gameplay is stellar... not many games come even close to it in terms of that.