Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3601709 times)

paprikastaude

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #31980 on: October 15, 2018, 06:39:55 AM »
I finally got through the first quest of Super Ghouls n Goblins. :rejoice I will probably say fuck the second quest though, considering that the castle is the only excessively hard part after the beginning and that's solely because of the red devils. I'm not going to touch the latter with anything but a crossbow, let alone that mandatory short range weapon required for the real ending.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #31981 on: October 15, 2018, 10:26:31 AM »
Went back to Neverwinter Nights to finally play the expansions. Guess what? Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark are so much more enjoyable than the main campaign. I'm retroactively kicking myself for dragging my ass through that instead of jumping straight to the expansions.
Between the two of them that I only got bored once my character became an almost invincible demigod (as is tradition).

I tried most of the premium modules as well. Witch's Wake was short enough that I could finish it and I even got a decent ways into Darkness over Daggerford (very dense and perhaps the best of the bunch?), but none of them really clicked with me. I thought about trying some famous user modules as well, but I suspect I would have abandoned those too before long, so - meh. Some other time, maybe.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 05:26:42 PM by Rufus »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #31982 on: October 15, 2018, 10:33:15 AM »
Destiny has been slowing down now that I've "done" most of what you can accomplish so far, so I'm trying to dip my toes into other games again.

Finished Detroit, pretty good, I enjoyed it.

Since its October I started up Evil Within 2
fat

Thirty-Ought-Six

« Reply #31983 on: October 16, 2018, 02:03:51 AM »
Finished Vaporum.

Grid based dungeon crawler is one of my favorite genres and this is a great one. Highly recommended to anyone who likes Legend of Grimrock. With some notable exceptions, the puzzles aren't as good, but overall I liked the combat more.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #31984 on: October 16, 2018, 10:22:06 AM »
All of the chapter 4 stories are done in Octopath, but a bunch of grinding remains to beat the true final boss. Favorite story was probably Alfyn's, the worst was Tressa's (she was also quite useless as a character).
^_^

archnemesis

« Reply #31985 on: October 16, 2018, 10:24:54 AM »
All of the chapter 4 stories are done in Octopath, but a bunch of grinding remains to beat the true final boss. Favorite story was probably Alfyn's, the worst was Tressa's (she was also quite useless as a character).
I reached the same point a few days ago and decided to call it quits. It's a fun game, but I don't want to play it for another 10-20 hours.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #31986 on: October 16, 2018, 11:18:26 AM »
I reached the same point a few days ago and decided to call it quits. It's a fun game, but I don't want to play it for another 10-20 hours.

Yeah, while my main 4 are around level 74, the neglected ones are at level 44 or so. I'm gonna try the dancer 100x EXP trick when I get a chance. Also found a few strategies to cheese the boss, which I'll finally do. Made it this far, might as well tough it out.
^_^

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #31987 on: October 16, 2018, 05:02:07 PM »
Man I cant believe they came up with the gorgeous game and squandered it on dumb shit
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #31988 on: October 16, 2018, 07:39:07 PM »
Man I cant believe they came up with the gorgeous game and squandered it on dumb shit

Isn't that the team's motto?

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31989 on: October 18, 2018, 12:08:17 AM »
Bebpo: spout of truth
que

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #31990 on: October 19, 2018, 01:25:41 PM »
The new Spider-Man game.

This open world is extremely boring. Feels like there's nothing to do beside the main story. Insomniac really needs to work on their worldbuilding for the next game. There's basically nothing in here that makes you connect to the world. If this game'd actually want you to "feel" like Spider-Man it should make you love the New York City in the game. Not this empty facade, that when you take a closer look, you can see the seems.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Some of the voice acting in this game is fantastic. Especially one of the last scenes with Doc Oc.
[close]

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #31991 on: October 19, 2018, 01:40:02 PM »
Do the timed puzzle in the mountain for maximum LUL

I only attempted it a couple times before moving on because RNG is a great decider in successful runs
fat

kingv

« Reply #31992 on: October 19, 2018, 02:33:50 PM »
The new Spider-Man game.

This open world is extremely boring. Feels like there's nothing to do beside the main story. Insomniac really needs to work on their worldbuilding for the next game. There's basically nothing in here that makes you connect to the world. If this game'd actually want you to "feel" like Spider-Man it should make you love the New York City in the game. Not this empty facade, that when you take a closer look, you can see the seems.

Some of the voice acting in this game is fantastic. Especially one of the last scenes with Doc Oc.
[close]

It’s kind of a shame, because you can really tell that they spent a lot of time on it in some ways. I was pretty impressed seeing the ferries and ships in the harbor, and it’s pretty cool how the people on the street react to spider-man when you land. But I do agree it still needs a bit more to feel alive.

It could really benefit from some emergent stories. There’s this big open world but it’s really just how you get from point A to Point B and nothing much happens in it. I feel it needed a few more side stories that were maybe a bit more interesting, and maybe some emergent crimes that involved something super-villain like.

I’m still cautiously looking forward to the dlc though. Will wait for impressions, but I’m hoping the main story in it has some meat to it.

paprikastaude

« Reply #31993 on: October 19, 2018, 02:36:10 PM »
Got to play a Astrobot demo with 3 levels today.

:whoo :leon :preach

Admittedly, my impression might be biased because this was my first time playing VR altogether. Still, this probably had the biggest wow-effect in forever on me. Maybe since I've played the first open world games on PS2/GCN/XB I haven't felt a new dimension of gaming has opened up like this. This is the real Mario 3D World, this game finishes the concepts that Nintendo barely scratched on Wii and 3DS.

kingv

« Reply #31994 on: October 19, 2018, 05:16:57 PM »
Got to play a Astrobot demo with 3 levels today.

:whoo :leon :preach
(Image removed from quote.)

Admittedly, my impression might be biased because this was my first time playing VR altogether. Still, this probably had the biggest wow-effect in forever on me. Maybe since I've played the first open world games on PS2/GCN/XB I haven't felt a new dimension of gaming has opened up like this. This is the real Mario 3D World, this game finishes the concepts that Nintendo barely scratched on Wii and 3DS.

What does it do that is so unique?

I’ve played that mouse platformer on PSVR and trying to figure out what is so special about astrobot

paprikastaude

« Reply #31995 on: October 19, 2018, 06:05:09 PM »
It's as if someone built a 'small' Mario parcours all around you. Motion controls are flawless as well as its correlation with 3D Land-esque (but more profound and inventive) perspective play to make the illusion perfect.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31996 on: October 19, 2018, 09:01:16 PM »
I'm up to the final boss in Metal Max Xeno and it's not going too good. First fight against him was a disaster [the game informed me that I only got 10% of the way through the fight], so I'm off to do a little grinding for materials and maybe see if I can find some more secret stuff to give me an edge of some king.

Dunno if I want to do New Game+ after, because as much as I do like this game it isn't a good game.
dog

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #31997 on: October 20, 2018, 11:15:14 AM »
You're going to enjoy the 45 minute video that hides one of the puzzles.

sinxtanx

« Reply #31998 on: October 23, 2018, 05:26:42 AM »
100 hours of Dragon Quest 11 and I think I'm almost done with "Phase 2"

what a nice game

I'm gonna track down 8 when I'm done and play that too

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #31999 on: October 23, 2018, 10:22:54 AM »
More Alliance Alive. Got the ship and the game really opened up and turned almost into a mini Suikoden... starting to like the game a lot. It's cute, really charming, and has a bunch of customization options for your characters.
^_^

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #32000 on: October 23, 2018, 10:47:30 AM »
At the end game of Wizardy 8
 :whew
que

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #32001 on: October 25, 2018, 01:56:28 PM »
The true ending ends at an elevator afaik
fat

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #32002 on: October 25, 2018, 02:03:59 PM »
The true ending ends at an elevator afaik

Borys ain't about them true endings.
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32003 on: October 25, 2018, 05:39:08 PM »
I want to play RDR2 and FH4 but I simply haven't got the time.

I'm about 35% through Tomb Raider which I really enjoy but also haven't got the time to play more of.

:-\
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #32004 on: October 25, 2018, 06:57:20 PM »
I want to play RDR2 and FH4 but I simply haven't got the time.

I'm about 35% through Tomb Raider which I really enjoy but also haven't got the time to play more of.

:-\

How I feel too. I still haven't played Spider-Man (or even God of War 2018), and I'd like to play RDR2, but time...

About 50 hours into Cold Steel 4/Sen no Kiseki 4. Just finished the intro at 41 hours so I still got a ways to go. Considering CS3/Sen3 was ~110-115 hours, this might be the same.

kingv

« Reply #32005 on: October 25, 2018, 06:58:59 PM »
I’ve almost completely abandoned those super long games for that reason. There’s too many other games I want to play and they take too damn long. Shit has to be reaaaaalllllly good.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #32006 on: October 25, 2018, 07:11:16 PM »
Started Temple of Elemental Evil. Spent most of my first session rolling characters, as is good and proper. Only re-rolled their stats a couple hundred times, too. :doge

Still getting the lay of the land in the starting town, but from what I've seen in the tutorial combat seems to be pretty sweet, so I'm looking forward to whatever rat killing quest I'll be getting. Unlike Bioware's D&D fare, this is turn-based, which is a welcome change of pace.

And then there's this abomination:

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #32007 on: October 25, 2018, 09:07:31 PM »
It's so tempting to get a XboneX and RDR2. I know the wait for PC will be worth it but man....

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #32008 on: October 26, 2018, 12:36:28 AM »
I’ve almost completely abandoned those super long games for that reason. There’s too many other games I want to play and they take too damn long. Shit has to be reaaaaalllllly good.

Trails is definitely one series I'd drop every other game for.
^_^

Himu

« Reply #32009 on: October 26, 2018, 12:51:14 AM »
100 hours of Dragon Quest 11 and I think I'm almost done with "Phase 2"

what a nice game

I'm gonna track down 8 when I'm done and play that too

Play it on 3ds
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #32010 on: October 26, 2018, 02:30:37 AM »

Trails is definitely one series I'd drop every other game for.

I'd say that and I'm doing that, but as of right now I'd only say that for Sky 1-3 and Crossbell 1-2 haha. Trails in the Sky is an awesome series that really pays off by the end of SC and 3rd and Crossbell's 2nd half is exciting as hell and the high point of the franchise so far. Really hope Crossbell comes over at some fucking point.

I like Cold Steel sorta, but it's really a big step down from those 2 arcs. Especially and mostly in pacing/story. Although story-wise everything has been building up to this 4th game for like 300+ hours now between CS1-3, so now that I'm like 50 hours into CS4 it's time to see whether it pays off or not for all the buildup. Gameplay-wise it's fun and the slice of life stuff is all good, but story will either pay off and be awesome or be like damn this whole arc was a waste.

Even at this point it's incredibly apparent that the inherent problem with the Cold Steel games/arc is that it should have only been 2 games like Sky FC/SC and Crossbell FC/SC. Stretching it to 4 games really fucked up the pacing and dragged this arc out ridiculously. Apparently this was all because making their first full 3d rpg with CS1 was VERY HARD LEARNING so instead of doing the CS FC as one game they had to split it into 2 which just fucked it all up.

If the series is still alive after this game, which isn't a sure thing as the sales are not great for Kiseki right now and these full 3d jrpgs aren't dirt cheap to make, the next arc absolutely needs to be a 2 game & done arc to get the series back on track. If they try to pull another 4 game arc with FC Pt1 & Pt2 and then SC pt1 & pt2, I think pretty much their entire fanbase is gonna bail. A lot already did after CS2.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #32011 on: October 26, 2018, 09:26:11 AM »
Talos Principle is better tho
fat

paprikastaude

« Reply #32012 on: October 26, 2018, 10:04:00 AM »
I got my first Platinum with Bloodborne, because I've noticed that I was only missing the chalice dungeons to obtain it. They were okay, not exactly amazing either, it was nice to see new enemies though. This was also the first time I got into BB onlineand only now I've actually realized what real use the insight collectible has.  :doge

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32013 on: October 27, 2018, 10:30:14 PM »
Been playing some Cities: Skylines again since there's a new expansion out, but:

How does roads work?  :derp
dog

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #32014 on: October 27, 2018, 10:59:20 PM »
That on ramp from the street going the opposite direction :dead

edit: oh god, there's more than one :dead :dead

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32015 on: October 28, 2018, 03:21:29 PM »
Been playing some Cities: Skylines again since there's a new expansion out, but:

How does roads work?  :derp
I believe this is an accurate representation of city planning by Elon Musk  :smug
🤴

kingv

« Reply #32016 on: October 29, 2018, 08:14:28 AM »
I bought the Spider-Man season pass and played through the first DLC last night.

If you enjoyed the main game you’ll enjoy the dLC. It’s only maybe 2 hours long, but the quality is the same level as the main campaign, and closer to the final bits than the beginning bits.

They did unfortunately include one MJ stealth section.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32017 on: October 29, 2018, 12:46:12 PM »
That on ramp from the street going the opposite direction :dead

edit: oh god, there's more than one :dead :dead

I went back yesterday and fixed the interchange in the first picture.

The interchange in the second is still a mess because I don't know how to fix it. :(
dog

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #32018 on: October 29, 2018, 12:49:54 PM »
Aren't there pre-mades you can drop in?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32019 on: October 29, 2018, 01:05:44 PM »
Yeah, but not very many. I think there are only maybe 3 or 4, so they're pretty limited in how you can apply them. Doesn't help that they're pretty huge, too, so if you're dealing with an area that doesn't have much free space you'll end up having to destroy and then rebuild a big chunk of your city.
dog

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #32020 on: October 29, 2018, 02:26:20 PM »
Still on Wizardry 8. Loving it but it's definitely wrapping up.

I got Rondo of Blood on that PS4 release they did. It's been a while since I've played an old school Castlevania (to me the Metroidvanias might as well be a different series).
I'm trying to get the good ending and man, I must be rusty because the mermen + bats+ floating orbs are just destroying me. Time to git gud.
que

El Babua

« Reply #32021 on: October 29, 2018, 09:11:33 PM »
Playing Vanquish at 4K 60FPS on Mice and Keyboard :lawd

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #32022 on: October 30, 2018, 10:14:58 AM »
Found out GTA Online's Bounty Hunter additional missions from Maude are to unlock a Stone Tomahawk in both this game and RDR2. I'd already done two of them for kicks, so I finished the rest of the targets and picked up a new weapon tonight.

paprikastaude

« Reply #32023 on: November 02, 2018, 02:45:02 PM »
Tetris Effect demo. That soundtrack :lawd Too bad I'm still awful at Tetris, fuck puzzle games. :fbm

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32024 on: November 02, 2018, 03:37:33 PM »
Borys you will play rdr2 right? You can hunt deer in it  :doge
What

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #32025 on: November 02, 2018, 03:41:27 PM »
Gave up on Temple of Elemental Evil shortly after entering said temple. Absolutely boring game. As far as combat-heavy D&D goes, I prefer Icewind Dale by far.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 03:58:07 PM by Rufus »

Thirty-Ought-Six

« Reply #32026 on: November 02, 2018, 05:54:53 PM »
Expeditions: Viking, not to be confused with Expedition: Vikings.

From what I've read it started off with game-breaking bugs and game-breaking balance decisions (you could max out fighting skills and weapons very early). With the latest patch, I haven't had any technical problems, and it now forces you to spread skill points around (you can't keep upgrading one thing until you've spent a certain amount total). Not as much of a feel-bad game as Conquistador, although one quest did involve being sent by a rich guy to massacre a group of kids. The morale system, and the random stories the party tells, are nice touches. Super fun so far.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32027 on: November 02, 2018, 08:33:15 PM »
Still playing Tomb Raider. I think I'm heading towards the end game now.
Still enjoying it a lot. It just looks so pretty.

Last session I discovered a massive Spanish galleon hidden in the ice which posed as a challenge tomb. The tombs and temples in this game are way beyond anything seen in the previous two. I guess people that don't like it miss the excessive combat of the previous game?
[close]

I like how all three games have a different tone and focus making them part of a series but also unique.

Tomb Raider - Survival
Rise of the Tomb Raider - Combat
Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Discovery
🤴

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #32028 on: November 03, 2018, 05:35:38 PM »
Man why does Resident Evil 6 suck so much? Such a downgrade from 5

Dennis

« Reply #32029 on: November 03, 2018, 07:00:17 PM »
Total War: Shogun 2 (DarthMod)

The badness of the graphics and the downgrade from Empire/Napoleon is throwing me a bit from a loop.

paprikastaude

« Reply #32030 on: November 03, 2018, 07:59:20 PM »
I did a run of Castlevania 4 after watching the S2 Netflix series. Some things in the later stages still annoy me, since it lacks some of the qol improvements of Rondo of Blood, but it's also still great to replay. You can't argue against the more 'metal' atmosphere of CV4 that never came back for the rest of the series. I'm now thinking about replaying Rondo of Blood and Dawn of Sorrow.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32031 on: November 04, 2018, 07:59:55 AM »
Still deep into Red Dead Redemption on my new Xbox One ( base )

:mindblown :rejoice :whew
What

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #32032 on: November 04, 2018, 10:07:07 AM »
I hate seeing other people's Arthur

#NotMyArthur

Mine looks like Tom Selleck from Magnum P.I.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #32033 on: November 04, 2018, 10:10:12 AM »
Playing Grim Dawn again because there's an expansion out soon.  Doing it "from scratch" and ignoring all of my saves/emptied my shared stash and all that because it makes the early game more fun.

Probably my favorite overall Diablo style game and it keeps growing.

Torchlight 3 should be out next year but those games are kinda meh;  anyone else have any other Diablo-clone recs?  Probably not anything I haven't heard of since I google the topic monthly but ya never know.

For one you probably haven't thought of, try Record of the Lodoss War for Dreamcast. Or Xanadu Next for PC. Not exactly Diablo clones but along the same lines.
^_^

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #32034 on: November 04, 2018, 10:54:54 AM »
I hate seeing other people's Arthur

#NotMyArthur

Mine looks like Tom Selleck from Magnum P.I.

I'm personally aiming for this look with my Arthur:

Bebpo

« Reply #32035 on: November 04, 2018, 12:50:32 PM »

Damn, being like a dozen hours into the PS4 Pro version I can definitely tell the difference in sharpness just from your screens. Can't justify spending $500 on an Xbox One X just for a sharper version of RDR2 (especially now that Sunset Overdrive is coming to PC and there's zero exclusives I want on the system), but would be nice if they patch the PS4 Pro to make it less soft.

Svejk

« Reply #32036 on: November 05, 2018, 01:33:02 AM »
 About 26 hours in and at level 17 in Odyssey.  I've played my fair share of open world games, but dayum... is this game massive! 
And finally killed that fucking boar!  On my way to Athens now...

Svejk

« Reply #32037 on: November 05, 2018, 10:52:22 AM »
Yeah, I can see Ubi doing that.  I think I should've waited on this game and not get at launch, that way they could have things better ironed out.  I suffered a pretty bad, game breaking glitch yesterday.  Some fort I was at, one of the soldiers started stretching and losing body parts, then the game was crawling in 2 second intervals.  Then my character disappeared completely.. Had to reload and decided to just skip that fort.  Not even in my PS3 launch Skyrim or PS4 launch Witcher 3 play-throughs have I had to straight reload from such a crash.    Guess it was inevitable.  :doge  (Edit: Playing on base PS4)  This game is still friggin amazing though. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 02:45:33 PM by Svejk »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32038 on: November 06, 2018, 09:30:27 AM »

Damn, being like a dozen hours into the PS4 Pro version I can definitely tell the difference in sharpness just from your screens. Can't justify spending $500 on an Xbox One X just for a sharper version of RDR2 (especially now that Sunset Overdrive is coming to PC and there's zero exclusives I want on the system), but would be nice if they patch the PS4 Pro to make it less soft.

Saw some people saying that playing the PS4 Pro version in 1080P helps to make it look a lot sharper.
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32039 on: November 06, 2018, 11:41:26 AM »
I dunno those are bad thumbnails but the game is sharp enough on this shitty xbone. 3 days played ( hours ) and im still loving the hell out of it. What a game.
What