Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3558356 times)

Himu

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #32100 on: November 14, 2018, 10:55:06 AM »
Rpg? You are being very liberal with that term I see.
IYKYK

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #32101 on: November 14, 2018, 11:30:33 AM »
are you the rpg police now?

Himu

« Reply #32102 on: November 14, 2018, 11:32:08 AM »
:lol
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #32103 on: November 14, 2018, 12:08:41 PM »
Tetris is my favourite wrpg.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #32104 on: November 14, 2018, 12:16:31 PM »
Tetris is my favourite wrpg.

Eastern Bloc annihilated.
©@©™

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #32105 on: November 14, 2018, 01:32:35 PM »
Dev Game Club inspired me to re-play Thief. This was my first expert difficulty playthrough. It adds objectives, changes the levels slightly (moves loot, closes secret exits, etc), fails you when you kill people (humans, anyway) and has semi-strict loot requirements. The latter is thematically appropriate and I enjoy it for the most part, as I naturally want to explore levels fully, but it's a double sided blade. I did not attempt to ghost it this time, opting to just knock out guards with difficult patrol patterns.

Constantine's mansion is still pretty loopy, but it's always been a gimmick and I actually had a lot of trouble finding one of the sub-objectives (incriminating evidence). The doors which can only be opened upon a revisit later in the game didn't help matters.

Expert difficulty bit me really hard on the first visit to the cathedral. Every bit of loot is both worth very little and hidden in an obscure places. The frustration from having to repeatedly scour every pixel of the level completely spoiled the atmosphere, too.

Speaking of atmosphere, the cathedral proper is not nearly as scary as I remember it being; the entire game isn't, really. Maybe I've changed? I also completely forgot that you have to do a fetch quest for a ghost there. A welcome surprise, had I brought enough stuff to deal with all the zombies on the way.
Their moaning actually drowned out a bit of dialog at one point, forcing me to reload a save. And really, a sword ought to be able to dismember them just fine. >:|

Allying with the Hammerites as you hurtle towards the conclusion was really well done. Finding the temple you've ransacked a couple missions before ruined, talking to the remnants of the order through a hole in the wall to get your instructions as they're attacked by the Trickster's creatures. Mh! Downright modern.
However, the final task, duping a god - in his own realm, at that - was too easily accomplished. The way it plays out sells both Garrett and the Trickster short, as you perform a simple swap behind his back ("robbing a god", my ass; a misnomer, anyway).

---

Started Thief 2 yesterday, which I have played once before, but don't remember much about at all. There will be mechanized guards and I vaguely remember the finale, but naught else.

+ Unobstructed view of an entire building, a rarity in Thief 1. (2nd level starts out similarly. "Look, skybox!")

++ Still commited to expert difficulty, and was soon impressed by how well the loot was hidden. I can see this becoming frustrating, but for now: me like.

- You can accidentally kill guards with your blackjack. Intent: maintain the fantasy, even if there's just one guard left to knock out and can freely chase them around the level? Solution: savescum. :I

- Loot requirements can be more granular, e.g. such and such amount of the total has to be in gems, so you have to explore the best guarded and hidden places. Completely redundant. You won't even meet the total if you don't find any of the hidden compartments containing gems, so why expand the requirement? Change for change's sake?

+ Cleverly constricted parts of the starting level teach you mechanics without prompts or instructions from a ghostly voice (as was the case in the first game's tutorial).
- Not so cleverly constricted parts, like an extremely short patrol pattern, when the better and more definitive alternative: the guard standing still, had been used in the level already.

+ Guard conversation that is relevant to what's happening, rather than idly channeling a geriatric patient mumbling about how they've not got their dinner yet. Hope this continues.

+++ Garrett waltzing into a mostly electrically lit mansion with more water arrows than he's ever had in any Thief 1 level. D'aw. :heart

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32106 on: November 14, 2018, 01:57:13 PM »
are you the rpg police now?

She's right tho. How is it an rpg?
What

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #32107 on: November 14, 2018, 02:19:45 PM »
Odyssey tries to be an RPG. It's mediocre trash though. One of my biggest regrets this year and I've played fucking ARK.
reckt

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32108 on: November 14, 2018, 02:26:36 PM »
ouch
What

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #32109 on: November 14, 2018, 06:35:50 PM »
RE3 has one of the better final bosses in the series. :idont

Yeah but the final lab area was pretty small and lame compared to RE2's - I shoulda been more specific

Finbarfin

« Reply #32110 on: November 14, 2018, 07:06:52 PM »
Did anyone here play DJMax Respect?  I got it when it came out because I like rhythm games a lot and there haven't been very many new ones lately, and I immediately fucking hated it because it is balls hard and there's no real tutorials, no story, nothing to really motivate you to play it, and the mission mode is so difficult that as a beginner you start consistently failing them after just one or two missions.

I got pretty bored a few weeks ago and started playing it again, and now I can't put it down.  Once it clicks, it gets stupidly addictive really fast, and the huge challenge level keeps it interesting for a long time, especially because the difficulty between songs and modes has a lot of granularity, so it's not like on guitar hero where you increase the difficulty level and it suddenly goes from being dead simple to completely impossible.

I also like Castlevania 3 a lot, to stay on the topic you all were on.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #32111 on: November 14, 2018, 07:48:58 PM »
Picked up Dragon Quest XI again. Cindi, I gotta admit, I don't get your hate for this. It's just the same game they've been making since 5 with prettier graphics and QoL improvements. I gotta admit I don't get it. :confused
que

Himu

« Reply #32112 on: November 14, 2018, 08:01:46 PM »
What you consider QoL improvements is probabaly more save points, correct? That goes against why I like DQ to begin with.

Also, the intro is a railroad. You’re handheld and told what to do constantly and can never go out of the way of the beaten path. The game is more linear than DQVIII. The world map is a tube. The story is prominent to the point of being obtrusive for a DQ game. Save points other than priests ruins the tension and necessity of proper resource management because you get free heals constantly. The game takes more control from the player: in VIII and IX you have access to the alchemy pot at all times, in XI you can only use the forge at save  points in the world map. In VIIK and IX you had access to tension every battle, peps are random.

Bad sequel. Fuck modern jrpgs.
IYKYK

Finbarfin

« Reply #32113 on: November 14, 2018, 08:10:36 PM »
What you consider QoL improvements is probabaly more save points, correct? That goes against why I like DQ to begin with.

Also, the intro is a railroad. You’re handheld and told what to do constantly and can never go out of the way of the beaten path. The game is more linear than DQVIII. The world map is a tube. The story is prominent to the point of being obtrusive for a DQ game. Save points other than priests ruins the tension and necessity of proper resource management because you get free heals constantly. The game takes more control from the player: in VIII and IX you have access to the alchemy pot at all times, in XI you can only use the forge at save  points in the world map.

I really liked it, but at the same time, you're right about all that. There is no resource management in the game at all. You get so many magic waters and similar items that you never really have to think of conserving magic; plus, if you set up your magic users with the MP recovering skills they basically have unlimited output anyway. I was also irritated that when you finally can fly, you can only go to less than ten set landing points. Kind of like getting the boat in the original final fantasy, which was pretty sweet in 1994 or whenever that was.

I still thought it was pretty great, though.  The DQ games have been pretty linear since 4. Yeah, they let you have some freedom with the ship and whatever flying thing, but there's usually a pretty set progression you have to follow. This only felt a little more restrictive to me compared to the other ones.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #32114 on: November 14, 2018, 08:10:38 PM »

Also, the intro is a railroad. You’re handheld and told what to do constantly and can never go out of the way of the beaten path. The game is more linear than DQVIII. The world map is a tube. The story is prominent to the point of being obtrusive for a DQ game. Save points other than priests ruins the tension and necessity of proper resource management because you get free heals constantly. The game takes more control from the player: in VIII and IX you have access to the alchemy pot at all times, in XI you can only use the forge at save  points in the world map. In VIIK and IX you had access to tension every battle, peps are random.

Oh I see. you know, since I'm older and am not looking to explore a huge world, but rather just sort of trapaise about, it fits me fine. I get it now and can see why it bugs you. I can't say I share your point of view, I'm just a different gamer now than I was then, so the fact that it lines up with where I am now doesn't bother me. But I can see why it bothers you now.
que

Himu

« Reply #32115 on: November 14, 2018, 08:57:33 PM »

Oh I see. you know, since I'm older and am not looking to explore a huge world, but rather just sort of trapaise about, it fits me fine. I get it now and can see why it bugs you. I can't say I share your point of view, I'm just a different gamer now than I was then, so the fact that it lines up with where I am now doesn't bother me. But I can see why it bothers you now.

To me, DQ represents perfection of a formula built over three decades.

This is DQ11 to me:

They fucked with perfection.

Also, the intro is a railroad. You’re handheld and told what to do constantly and can never go out of the way of the beaten path. The game is more linear than DQVIII. The world map is a tube. The story is prominent to the point of being obtrusive for a DQ game. Save points other than priests ruins the tension and necessity of proper resource management because you get free heals constantly. The game takes more control from the player: in VIII and IX you have access to the alchemy pot at all times, in XI you can only use the forge at save  points in the world map.

I really liked it, but at the same time, you're right about all that. There is no resource management in the game at all. You get so many magic waters and similar items that you never really have to think of conserving magic; plus, if you set up your magic users with the MP recovering skills they basically have unlimited output anyway. I was also irritated that when you finally can fly, you can only go to less than ten set landing points. Kind of like getting the boat in the original final fantasy, which was pretty sweet in 1994 or whenever that was.

I still thought it was pretty great, though.  The DQ games have been pretty linear since 4. Yeah, they let you have some freedom with the ship and whatever flying thing, but there's usually a pretty set progression you have to follow. This only felt a little more restrictive to me compared to the other ones.

There’s linear and then there’s linear.

I’m not going to claim DQ was Elder Scrolls but linear in this case is quite open. You mentioned IV. Is Torneko’s chapter linear? You get to make choices and travel to and from places. There’s linear, as in, there’s a place A and place B but linearity is dependent on how the game interacts with the player. There are only a few towns in Torneko’s chapter. Hell, there’s only a few towns for the twins. But you can go between them freely and the way to progress isn’t just handed to you. Take Torneko again, you make a shop  haven to make money for your shop to open the pathway to the next continent to continue. But how do you make money? This is the difference between true linearity. True linearity only ever presents one option.

A better and more recent example is the beginning of Dragon Quest VIII. You’re told to find a crystal ball in the waterfall cave and that’s it. You see a big open world left and right when you open the gate. It’s not just a tube. You continue to the cave and find that the monsters there are level 5 and you’re level 1. You’re clearly under prepared. What do you do? You have a few choices:

1. Continue the dungeon despite the level difference and use the higher leveled monsters for exp and let the loot cover the disadvantages.
2. Retreat and explore the world you just avoided. You’ll notice a mini quest available to you which will have you fetching someone’s toolbox where you’ll get Fire cheese for the mouse which is useful in the boss fight in the cave. During this trek you will have leveled up conveniently to level 5 just in time to do the dungeon. 
3. Run in a circle and grind like a scrub.

Despite there being only two destinations provided you have multiple options. Linearity is more than than place A and place B: it is allowing of choice in play style alotted to the player and allowing them act on those choices.

This was the DQ ethos from the very first game.

DQ11 tells you where to go? You do it. Go to the castle. But only to the castle. There are guards outside the other locations which disabled you from going to them and maybe checking them out. So you’re being railroaded to the the castle and it’s the only choice provided. This continues well past after you get Erik, Veronica, what’s forgettable face. The game only starts to offer choice once you’ve hit Sylvando’s vignette town and then the choices are limited because of the absence of item/health/resource management. Why prep before taking off? Who cares if I can just go to a save point on the world map, save, and buy from the conveniently available merchant? Even buying items is now a limited choice.

Even with the Draconian Quest enabled that doesn’t change the basic structure of the game.

Horii and co. kinda sold out. Which is weird to say about the most popular rpg franchise in Japanese history but there it is.
IYKYK

Finbarfin

« Reply #32116 on: November 14, 2018, 09:28:11 PM »

There’s linear and then there’s linear.

I’m not going to claim DQ was Elder Scrolls but linear in this case is quite open. You mentioned IV. Is Torneko’s chapter linear? You get to make choices and travel to and from places. There’s linear, as in, there’s a place A and place B but linearity is dependent on how the game interacts with the player. There are only a few towns in Torneko’s chapter. Hell, there’s only a few towns for the twins. But you can go between them freely and the way to progress isn’t just handed to you. Take Torneko again, you make a shop  haven to make money for your shop to open the pathway to the next continent to continue. But how do you make money? This is the difference between true linearity. True linearity only ever presents one option.

A better and more recent example is the beginning of Dragon Quest VIII. You’re told to find a crystal ball in the waterfall cave and that’s it. You see a big open world left and right when you open the gate. It’s not just a tube. You continue to the cave and find that the monsters there are level 5 and you’re level 1. You’re clearly under prepared. What do you do? You have a few choices:

1. Continue the dungeon despite the level difference and use the higher leveled monsters for exp and let the loot cover the disadvantages.
2. Retreat and explore the world you just avoided. You’ll notice a mini quest available to you which will have you fetching someone’s toolbox where you’ll get Fire cheese for the mouse which is useful in the boss fight in the cave. During this trek you will have leveled up conveniently to level 5 just in time to do the dungeon. 
3. Run in a circle and grind like a scrub.

Despite there being only two destinations provided you have multiple options. Linearity is more than than place A and place B: it is allowing of choice in play style alotted to the player and allowing them act on those choices.

This was the DQ ethos from the very first game.

DQ11 tells you where to go? You do it. Go to the castle. But only to the castle. There are guards outside the other locations which disabled you from going to them and maybe checking them out. So you’re being railroaded to the the castle and it’s the only choice provided. This continues well past after you get Erik, Veronica, what’s forgettable face. The game only starts to offer choice once you’ve hit Sylvando’s vignette town and then the choices are limited because of the absence of item/health/resource management. Why prep before taking off? Who cares if I can just go to a save point on the world map, save, and buy from the conveniently available merchant? Even buying items is now a limited choice.

Even with the Draconian Quest enabled that doesn’t change the basic structure of the game.

Horii and co. kinda sold out. Which is weird to say about the most popular rpg franchise in Japanese history but there it is.

Sure.  I also was annoyed at the point-a to point-b nature of all the explorable areas.  They've never done that before.  If the game didn't seem so obviously high budget, I'd assume they were struggling with rendering big open spaces in UE4, which is presumably a pretty big technical hurdle, but they clearly weren't constrained as far as spending money is concerned. Definitely seems kind of lazy.

You brought up torneko's chapter in DQ4.  Sure there are a couple of different ways you could accomplish stuff in that chapter, but in the end, the only really optional part, as far as I remember, is getting the iron safe. Aside from that, aren't you for sure going to eventually just buy shit from one of the shops in town and resell it in your own shop until you hit the stupid amount of money they expect you to make, or did I just play that dumb because I was a kid at the time?

Anyway, I'm not exactly arguing with you. I have the world's biggest nostalgia goggles for DQ games, so I'm going to like them even if they're kind of dumb. For me, the biggest issue with them has been that the basics of combat still haven't changed since, I guess 5, where you ruin every boss until about 75% of the way through the game by casting the same buffs and using oomph to double attack, and then some powerful mid-game boss suddenly disruptive waves your party or whatever they're calling it in this installment and now you need to have a very slightly different strategy for the rest of the game. The new one definitely left all that just like it has been...

Himu

« Reply #32117 on: November 14, 2018, 09:43:10 PM »
Ok. It’s just that you’re the first person on the Internet I’ve seen who liked DQXI and know where I’m coming from. Everyone else is like,”you’re crazy” and it feels like I’ve walked into an alternate reality. I don’t care if you like the game I just am glad you see my complaints as valid.

Personally, I’ve found great comfort in DQ since becoming a fan with VIII on ps2. I love every game in the series and I really tried to like XI. I’m kind of done giving modern games chances though if they somehow managed to make me of all people not like a DQ game. So they can enjoy their new growing fanbase I guess. I will not be a part of it.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #32118 on: November 14, 2018, 10:24:43 PM »
Jfc Shadow and Spirit temples in Master Quest make this the definitive OoT. Even the Gerudo training ground is better.
IYKYK

Finbarfin

« Reply #32119 on: November 14, 2018, 10:55:05 PM »
Ok. It’s just that you’re the first person on the Internet I’ve seen who liked DQXI and know where I’m coming from. Everyone else is like,”you’re crazy” and it feels like I’ve walked into an alternate reality. I don’t care if you like the game I just am glad you see my complaints as valid.

Personally, I’ve found great comfort in DQ since becoming a fan with VIII on ps2. I love every game in the series and I really tried to like XI. I’m kind of done giving modern games chances though if they somehow managed to make me of all people not like a DQ game. So they can enjoy their new growing fanbase I guess. I will not be a part of it.

It's tough if you're a long time RPG fan because almost every console RPG ever is just so stupid it's almost unbelievable that it's been a genre. I grew up in the NES era and played through all the really shitty PC adaptations of the time, like Ultima 3 and 4, and Wizardry: Proving grounds of the mad overlord, which was one of the crappiest console conversions of all time, and the bard's tale, and blah blah blah, and so I think sometimes people from my generation are almost trained to just put up with garbage game mechanics, even when we can clearly notice them.

I think the best video game RPG of all time was Baldur's Gate 2, and that game is so messy that it's hard to even figure out how to approach it, but I honestly feel no one has ever made a game with as open a playing space, with such a creative way to build your characters, to approach the world, and just to play the game. It was really unique.

Himu

« Reply #32120 on: November 14, 2018, 11:22:50 PM »

It's tough if you're a long time RPG fan because almost every console RPG ever is just so stupid it's almost unbelievable that it's been a genre. I grew up in the NES era and played through all the really shitty PC adaptations of the time, like Ultima 3 and 4, and Wizardry: Proving grounds of the mad overlord, which was one of the crappiest console conversions of all time, and the bard's tale, and blah blah blah, and so I think sometimes people from my generation are almost trained to just put up with garbage game mechanics, even when we can clearly notice them.

I think the best video game RPG of all time was Baldur's Gate 2, and that game is so messy that it's hard to even figure out how to approach it, but I honestly feel no one has ever made a game with as open a playing space, with such a creative way to build your characters, to approach the world, and just to play the game. It was really unique.

I’ve gone through my share of crap but not those. I’m not sure what your problem with console RPGs is though. I personally prefer jrpgs to wrpgs although I love a good wrpg too. What’s going on with jrpgs these days reminds me of what happened to jrpg last gen: the genre gets wider acclaim but by losing  its depth as it tries to appeal to the lowest common denominator because for a time before this jrpgs were considered niche or “on the verge of dying” or whatever just like wrpgs before them. So you get lots of Mass Effect type games and Skyrim which are “RPGs” because money beats sticking to genre foundations, meanwhile RPGs like Fallout New Vegas are far and few between. I see the same happening with jrpgs.

BG2 is my favorite wrpg. The only thing close for me is FNV which might have topped it at this point.
IYKYK

archnemesis

« Reply #32121 on: November 15, 2018, 03:38:33 AM »
I forgot to cancel my Nintendo Online service after the free trial week and it automatically charged me for a month. Most of the games are only fun for a few minutes. With save states I managed to play through a couple of the longer games.

I first encountered Gradius as  a mini game inside The Legend of the Mystical Ninja and the full game is basically more of the same thing. It just becomes more hectic. I really enjoyed it.

In my childhood I played large parts of The Legend of Zelda, but this week was the first time I played through the entire first quest by myself. I was surprised by how much from A Link to The Past was already present in the first game.

I haven't touched my copy of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker for the Wii U. The new Switch version makes it easier for me to play it in small chunks. I love these mini games from the main Mario series and in this spin-off title they have expanded the concept into more awesomeness.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32122 on: November 15, 2018, 08:33:35 AM »
Exactly. Ofcourse ac is fun if you havent played them since AC1 OR AC2. In that case its a breath of fresh air.

Still wouldnt call it an "rpg" though.
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #32123 on: November 15, 2018, 09:51:06 AM »
Borys picking up a new Assassin's Creed after a decade of not playing them and deriding people for calling it mediocre is the funniest Yakuza substory.

I hope he's excited for Assassin's Creed: Oligarchy featured in Russia where you can adventure through Tunguska and pick up all the collectibles again, unlock all the eagle spots, again, unlock the entire map, again

Do it all

Again
fat

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32124 on: November 15, 2018, 11:24:59 AM »
Russia during the Red October revolution or the early 90's after the USSR collapse would actually be a cool setting for an AC game.
🤴

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #32125 on: November 15, 2018, 11:40:10 AM »
One of the 2D games is set during the October revolution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassin%27s_Creed_Chronicles

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #32126 on: November 15, 2018, 12:09:13 PM »
Yyyup. They took a year off before Origin and are in another year off now that Odyssey is out. Seems to have worked out for them.

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #32127 on: November 15, 2018, 02:06:23 PM »
Odyssey tries to be an RPG. It's mediocre trash though. One of my biggest regrets this year and I've played fucking ARK.

Garbage take. Enjoy your ARK I guess?

Odyssey is the 2nd best RPG this year next to DQ11. I didn't play Pillars 2 yet, though.
You misunderstood. ARK is hot fucking trash.
reckt

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #32128 on: November 15, 2018, 02:17:50 PM »
He's not super wrong. The RPG facade of Odyssey is pretty flimsy. Like, every level X weapon does the same damage? Every pair of boots has the same armor? The damage calculation is such that you basically either damage an enemy like normal or can't damage them at all with no in between. Item stats do not matter, and the dialog options barely influence quest/narrative flow. For a game a lot of people like to compare to The Witcher I'm kinda confused.

I've been playing it off and on since we've had it around the house and I've not been super impressed. Maybe the RPG elements come through later in the game, but I'm level 20 and they feel tacked on at best.
zzzzz

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #32129 on: November 15, 2018, 11:25:58 PM »
Made it to chapter 5 in red dead  :mindblown

100 hour weeks did not go to waste  :doge

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #32130 on: November 16, 2018, 10:08:56 PM »
Beat the second loop in Steredenn which according the the cheevo I got, only 0.36% of gamers do, so that’s neat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32131 on: November 17, 2018, 07:51:23 AM »
Do I want to play RDR2 without having played RDR1 first?

Ehh… I don't know. Maybe I will resume The Witcher 2 or start White Knight Chronicles (PS3)?

RDR2 takes place before RDR1, so it would be much better to play 2 without playing 1 first.
What

paprikastaude

« Reply #32132 on: November 17, 2018, 10:05:48 AM »
I played Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow to the first fake ending in a single session. Still one of my favorites in the series, the few touchscreen parts aren't nearly as bad as I remember. Maybe it helps to be played on a 3DS XL, for which you can easily use your hands instead of grabbing a stylus.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32133 on: November 17, 2018, 10:45:37 AM »
How do I buy a game from the US Xbox store? When I try it on my pc it just says we have a problem with the payment try contacting us wtf. I tried paying with Paypal.

AC : Origins Gold Edition is 33 USD but it's 60 euro's?? I don't get how this conversion works really
What

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #32134 on: November 17, 2018, 11:10:25 AM »
Do I want to play RDR2 without having played RDR1 first?

Ehh… I don't know. Maybe I will resume The Witcher 2 or start White Knight Chronicles (PS3)?

I'd do Witcher 2 out of all of those 3 personally. Just not a big Rockstar fan and I heard White Knight was bland and mediocre.

Have you played any of the Trails series yet, Borys?
^_^

Himu

« Reply #32135 on: November 17, 2018, 11:11:31 AM »
WHEN IS BORYS PLAYING SUIKODEN II
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #32136 on: November 17, 2018, 02:15:16 PM »
Play Trails instead
fat

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #32137 on: November 17, 2018, 04:02:26 PM »
I enjoyed Tales of Symphonia on gamecube 8 years ago. In himdsight, a lot of the party sucks except cute purple haired ninja and badass red hair dude. I didn't put much effort into combat besides spamming Lloyd's specials and beat the game anyway. Some neat music, some decent character designs. Story takes forever to tell, but it's pretty mediocre. I believe its capped at 30 FPS for PS3, I might be wrong on that, Gamecube was 60.

Its probably a fun and goofy game to play nowadays. Im personally waiting for Tales of Vesperia to get ported to current gen, and getting my Tales fix with that.
OH!

Himu

« Reply #32138 on: November 17, 2018, 04:09:57 PM »
Tales of the Abyss and Vesperia are great. IMO skip Symphonia and get Vespy on xbox 360 which you can play on XBO. Vesperia was what many of us considered the jrpg of last gen. Symphonia isn't in the same ballpark.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #32139 on: November 18, 2018, 04:01:12 AM »
Beat Ocarina of Time 3d. Cried to the ending like always. Master Quest is interesting. Fire Temple and Spirit Temple are insane in MQ. Spirit Temple MQ might be one of the best Zelda dungeons ever. Takes an already fantastic dungeon and just makes it better. In the end I'm not sure if I prefer MQ or the original. It's hard to compare since I haven't played the original in ages. Maybe next year.

Decided to get Majora's Mask 3d and see if it's as bad as people say.

Also getting R4 Gold cart to play Fire Emblem on my 3ds.

I'm ready. :hyper

*hums Clock Town theme*

« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 04:10:33 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32140 on: November 18, 2018, 06:10:47 AM »
What I miss in the 3D remaks is the dark / gloomy atmosphere that OOT and MM originally had.

The combination of blurry CG backgrounds, fog and overall dark and poorly lit areas really made the game. A lot of other N64 games like Perfect Dark, Conker etc. had the same gloomy atmosphere.
With some modern remasters and remakes that sort of atmosphere gets lost. TP HD to a lesser extend had the same thing happen to it as did Batman Return to Arkham.

From a gameplay perspective it makes things easier and more accessible. (In TP HD for example, you can clearly see the chests hidden away in the trees and on the hills now).
But somehow I feel something is 'missing' in those remakes and it makes them visually less interesting to look at. Even though by any measure the quality of the graphics is better. 
🤴

Himu

« Reply #32141 on: November 18, 2018, 08:59:10 AM »
We’ll see. I do remember Ganon fight being wayyyy darker in the original.
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #32142 on: November 18, 2018, 10:26:12 AM »
The 3DS remasters' graphics look very good. MM still looks eerie enough through certain lighting methods, and OoT was probably always meant to be more vibrant. But they needed to release MM like Odin Sphere Leifthrasir, which still has the option for "classic mode" with all the old gameplay intact underneath the new skin - or just don't fuck with it to begin with. It's not like many casuals would ever flock to MM either way*.
TP and Batman Returns are just simple ports with not enough effort to compensate for the higher fidelity vs original intent.

edit: * in fact, during the time of release I read from several people who didn't like MM that they still don't get it with the 3DS version, or how they are still lost in more complex sidequests. So Nintendo basically fucked the game up for its normal fans, for the sake of an audience that doesn't care about it one way or the other.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 10:48:54 AM by Spieler1 »

Himu

« Reply #32143 on: November 18, 2018, 10:54:49 AM »
On the other hand I’ve talked to many diehard fellow Majora’s Mask fans and they say the 3ds version is fine and in fact, makes improvements upon the original. They mostly view Zora swimming as the only negative change and don’t really care much about that because you can accesss old Zora swimming indefinitely by using alcoholic milk.

I tried out MM 64 the other day to start it out and it does in fact have many flaws I never noticed before. Like I did some Anju and Kafei quest and there’s lots of standing around and I’ve got a full wallet so there’s nothing to do but stand around and I can’t skip to a specific time. Like on the third day I was waiting for the Curiosity Shop Keeper to open up so I could get the Keaton mask. He doesn’t open up until like 1 pm. So I warped to beginning of the third day and literally sat there waiting to do something. It was then I realized that maybe the 3ds version isn’t that bad at all.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 10:59:24 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #32144 on: November 18, 2018, 11:08:02 AM »
The reality is, and it’s hard to admit it, but playing the beginning of MM again made me realize that it’s not perfect. It has unskippanle cutscenes and lots of repetition. Having to get the moon tear again to get the deed so you can exchange it with the other Deku in the swamp? Having to give the witch a potion AGAIN so you can unlock the boat ride AGAIN? The lack of fast travel until you get Song of Soaring? I’d even say Majora’s Mask is balls until you get Song of Soaring. Being able to skip cutscenes or pick a specific time to travel to would do wonders for the game. It gets better but the beginning is objectively bad and I can’t say the 3ds changes wouldn’t be improvements even for long time fans.
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #32145 on: November 18, 2018, 11:12:15 AM »
On the other hand I’ve talked to many diehard fellow Majora’s Mask fans and they say the 3ds version is fine and in fact, makes improvements upon the original. They mostly view Zora swimming as the only negative change and don’t really care much about that because you can accesss old Zora swimming indefinitely by using alcoholic milk.

I've only seen this on GAF and in almost all cases it's been coming from company cheerleaders rather than sincere fans.

I tried out MM 64 the other day to start it out and it does in fact have many flaws I never noticed before. Like I did some Anju and Kafei quest and there’s lots of standing around and I’ve got a full wallet so there’s nothing to do but stand around and I can’t skip to a specific time. Like on the third day I was waiting for the Curiosity Shop Keeper to open up so I could get the Keaton mask. He doesn’t open up until like 1 pm. So I warped to beginning of the third day and literally sat there waiting to do something. It was then I realized that maybe the 3ds version isn’t that bad at all.

Skipping to specific times is the only thing that needed to be added. Unfortunately it came with tons of dumbing down.

Himu

« Reply #32146 on: November 18, 2018, 11:25:49 AM »
Eh. I’ll try MM3d and we will see. If I’m not big on it I have the original right here.
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32147 on: November 18, 2018, 11:26:00 AM »
So I bought AC Origins and Far Cry 5, regardless of my hate against Ubisoft they got my money lol

They were cheap on the Xbox store.. like 67% off.

Dunno which one to get into first, seems AC Origins is cool.

I really just wish RDR Online would get going
What

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #32148 on: November 18, 2018, 04:38:11 PM »
Finished Thief 2 and moved straight on to Thief: Deadly Shadows.

Not much to say about T2 other than it is still fantastic. Only fidelity and mission structure betray its age. One thing I find worth pointing out: they overcompensated so hard with the last mission, as compared to the first game's finale. :lol I knew it was involved, but did not remember just how involved.

Also, have some NPC conversations (best for last):

Oh, and since it makes an appearance in the video: Mission 3 has a maddening soundtrack. Usually there's just ambient noise, but there it's constant - I don't know what. Otherworldy warbling.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 04:49:44 PM by Rufus »

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #32149 on: November 18, 2018, 09:01:07 PM »
i have no clue in how to improve in tetris effect  :fbm

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #32150 on: November 18, 2018, 09:28:12 PM »
MM 3DS improves the game tenfold with the Bomber's Notebook
fat

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #32151 on: November 18, 2018, 09:34:56 PM »
Eh. I’ll try MM3d and we will see. If I’m not big on it I have the original right here.

DUMB BIAAAAAAAAAAATCH

never played the remake, had no idea they screwed it up that bad  :-\

Himu

« Reply #32152 on: November 18, 2018, 09:47:22 PM »

DUMB BIAAAAAAAAAAATCH

Apparently that guy is trying to sell you hisMMHDmid.
IYKYK

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #32153 on: November 18, 2018, 11:51:12 PM »
i have no clue in how to improve in tetris effect  :fbm

:fbm

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #32154 on: November 19, 2018, 02:16:15 AM »
Continuing my slog through Resident Evil 6. Just finished Chris' campaign and it was fucking hysterical. The "character development" was hackneyed to the point of being farcical. Was good to Chris' SWOLLEN PYTHONS punching shit again though. He punched so many stupid mutants. Some pretty cool set pieces - but fuck the cheap deaths! Can see why this got bad reviews but its good fun uber-budget popcorn gaming. I'll play any TPS and love it really.

Onto "Jake" storyline now. Apparently he's got some dope fighting skills.

paprikastaude

« Reply #32155 on: November 19, 2018, 12:33:48 PM »

DUMB BIAAAAAAAAAAATCH

I played through it, so until now I didn't see the point of watching this. Now I did and got immediately triggered by the swimming section again. Also, I didn't notice that they removed all the options in the first boss fight. Man, just fuck these george lucas-tier seniles running Nintendo games development. You'd think BotW was a glimmer of hope, but then they keep going with auto-controlled Mario Kart and making baby versions of an already baby series like Pokemon. I guess the latter isn't as awful, since it's its own thing. Smearing all over one of their most unique and best classics though :rage :sheik

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32156 on: November 19, 2018, 06:07:50 PM »
Continuing my slog through Resident Evil 6. Just finished Chris' campaign and it was fucking hysterical. The "character development" was hackneyed to the point of being farcical. Was good to Chris' SWOLLEN PYTHONS punching shit again though. He punched so many stupid mutants. Some pretty cool set pieces - but fuck the cheap deaths! Can see why this got bad reviews but its good fun uber-budget popcorn gaming. I'll play any TPS and love it really.

Onto "Jake" storyline now. Apparently he's got some dope fighting skills.
The PC version of the game kept crashing on me when I had to pilot a fighter jet and it soured me on the game.
Otherwise is was a great action game just not much of a Resident Evil game.  :lol
🤴

Himu

« Reply #32157 on: November 21, 2018, 06:40:05 PM »
Holy crap the people who hated on Majora’s Mask 3d turned out to be total loons.

The atmosphere is fantastic. Like how the only light source in the mayors wife’s room now is the fireplace. Which is apt given the light her life is missing.

Or the sheer wonder of the grand fairy fountain. The extra light source really sells it. Visually the only problem I’ve got is that it’s a bit more blurry.

I’m able to use Deku spins to reach islands just like in the original.

The moon still has a face of anger and pain. I don’t see how it’s possible to only see anger.

I just got the bomber book automatically without having to redo that stupid hide and seek game again now that I’m human. This is Majora’s Mask but better. I don’t mind the new save system. The point is that you can access only one save, which I’m fine with. It just makes the game more in line with something like Dragon Quarter or the original Dead Rising, which isn’t bad.

Majora’s Mask with enhancements so you’re not scurrying doing shit all over again just to get key feature is a fantastic.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #32158 on: November 22, 2018, 03:34:21 AM »
Had a really short but eventful session with Majora’s Mask. Managed to unlock, beat the Swamp Temple, got all fairies in the area, and get the Butler’s gift all in one cycle. Then I went for the Goron Mask, used the hot water to unlock the powder kegs; unlocked the Snowhead Temple, used song of time to go back and get Epona, went back in time, then got Zora Masks and a few other masks. Now I’m trying to see if sequence breaking is a possibility  since I have all story masks without having stepped a foot into the second dungeon. Very short but really productive session. Being able to skip to any time is a god send.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #32159 on: November 22, 2018, 09:08:04 AM »
Same. I think. It has some competition. I’m waiting till I beat it to see how I feel about the it still.
IYKYK