Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3559387 times)

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #31860 on: September 09, 2018, 04:36:35 AM »
. Nothing about it is groundbreaking

That's a good thing. I'm getting sick of these Minecraft clones.

kingv

« Reply #31861 on: September 09, 2018, 02:03:13 PM »
I also enjoy the landmarks. I like how you can slow down time with the camera and hit the mid air shots.

The city is quite well done for a game where you are barely ever on the ground.

The web swinging definitely feels better once you get the speed upgrades. In fact the web swinging is almost really good. Spider-Man 2 had a ton of moves that only existed to make web swinging more interesting with a higher skill ceiling.

Like they had that slingshot move, and there was a mechanic where you could press a button at the bottom of the pendulum to speed up your momentum. I remember the wall run was also not quite as automatic. It felt really good to be able to zip around the city because it took some skill.

I'm not sure Spider-Man 2 has better web swinging overall, but it was much better for its time.

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #31862 on: September 09, 2018, 07:25:59 PM »
spiderman is a pretty dope ps2 game  :rejoice

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31863 on: September 10, 2018, 12:11:39 AM »
I still loved ZTD, but it's the least good of the Zero Escape series. Definitely a bit of a disappointment after VLR.
I thought 999 was pretty disappointing game but with a very satisfying ending that tied everything up. VLR was the opposite, it was amazing until it completely shit the bed in the last two hours. I'd be satisfied if ZTD is somewhere in between without hitting the prequels high, so long as it also avoids their lows.

So far though, kind of finding it hard to concentrate on the game with the character model's weird wonky eyebrows.

Oh, the 3D isn't the only thing that sucks about that game. :hitler
Hope this is some sort of hint about Phi craving Sigma's D now that he isn't a gilf.

(Image removed from quote.)
No. I'm saying it's a bad game.
que

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #31864 on: September 10, 2018, 12:32:29 AM »
Started Spider-Man last night.  I skipped over all the previous 3D Spideys post the one from Neversoft on PS1
That's still the best Spider-Man game, imo. Don't believe any of these lies about 2 on the PS2/GCN/Xbox.

kingv

« Reply #31865 on: September 10, 2018, 01:24:19 AM »
2 on Xbox was really only good because of the web swinging. The combat was pretty bad.

I will say I did appreciate how many boss fights it had though. Brought in a bunch from outside the movies. For some reason, a lot of more recent comic games leave out boss fights or don’t put many in.

I’m not done with Spider-Man PS4 yet, but so far it’s only had 2 recognizable villains from the comics to fight. Both were pretty good though.

I would have liked Arkham knight a lot more if it had 5 or so proper boss fights

benjipwns

« Reply #31866 on: September 10, 2018, 01:42:09 AM »
Arkham Origins' boss fights :lawd

paprikastaude

« Reply #31867 on: September 10, 2018, 05:14:24 AM »
Arkham Origins' boss fights :lawd

Bane was a better Mr. Freeze, because his gimmick doesn't wear itself out on multiple playthroughs.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31868 on: September 10, 2018, 05:27:51 PM »
Nier Automata ( o_o )

spoiler (click to show/hide)
First off, there's like 10 games on this planet that have a story that stays compelling for 20+ hours.

WHY DID PASCAL HAVE TO WATCH HIS PEACEFUL VILLAGE DIE IN FIRE AND FIND OUT THEIR CHILDREN KILLED THEMSELVES BECAUSE HE TAUGHT THEM WHAT FEAR IS (why....)
(and why after I erased his memories he decides to sell their body parts)

Also, poor, poor 9S. "Oh yeah, actually your consciousness is designed pretty much from the same stuff as your enemies cores lol"
[close]

Mood when you start playing Nier Automata :aah

Mood when you save and stop playing Nier Automata :stahp
🤴

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #31869 on: September 10, 2018, 07:03:39 PM »
yeah that part fucked me up more than anything else in the game. that was just cruel.
pcp

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31870 on: September 10, 2018, 08:13:08 PM »
Yeah, I remember at that part I
walked away. I was just like "You wanna know what it's like to be human? Here you go." I still remember Pascal's accusatory "How could you?!"
[close]
que

bluemax

« Reply #31871 on: September 10, 2018, 11:18:28 PM »
High production values, low effort

Yeah, at least God of War was trying something a little different. This feels like it just took a design doc from one of the previous mediocre open world Spidey games and spiffed it up. I wouldn’t have known this was done by someone like Insomniac if I didn’t know in advance.

I guess Insomniac needed some easy money.

I hear things were pretty rough there before they got Spider-Man. Dunno if that's why they lost so much engineering talent or not.
NO

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #31872 on: September 11, 2018, 02:18:20 AM »
I mean, Fuse was a trainwreck and SO tanked (going Xbone-only was really stupid). Then there were a couple small games that absolutely no one cared about (VR stuff?). I'd imagine they weren't in a great place financially.

bluemax

« Reply #31873 on: September 11, 2018, 03:56:09 AM »
They also had a Facebook game that no one remembers that they later ported to iOS and I don't think it lasted very long on there.
NO

paprikastaude

« Reply #31874 on: September 11, 2018, 07:30:46 AM »
High production values, low effort

Yeah, at least God of War was trying something a little different. This feels like it just took a design doc from one of the previous mediocre open world Spidey games and spiffed it up. I wouldn’t have known this was done by someone like Insomniac if I didn’t know in advance.

I guess Insomniac needed some easy money.

It's not like Insomniac is that great. Ratched and Spyro are ... okay.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #31875 on: September 11, 2018, 07:42:57 AM »
I mean, Fuse was a trainwreck and SO tanked (going Xbone-only was really stupid). Then there were a couple small games that absolutely no one cared about (VR stuff?). I'd imagine they weren't in a great place financially.

Depending on when dev started, it may have just looked like a good decision at the time. Last gen was largely owned by MS' 360, there wasn't an inherent reason to think that the crown would slip as badly as it has.

paprikastaude

« Reply #31876 on: September 11, 2018, 06:03:36 PM »
Bangai-O DS - This has got to have one of the shittiest entries to a game. You've got this super obscure schmup concept, yet it feels like they expect you to already be a pro from prior games or something. It just throws you into a bunch of super hard missions with intricate weapon customisation and there's zero easing you into any of its concepts, despite a few pseudo-tutorials. Also, all missions are available from the start and they immediately want you to build your own levels and shit. Which makes it seem even more like like some toolbox for people that know the Dreamcast game and not really something for new players in mind whatsoever.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 06:15:17 PM by Spieler1 »

Bebpo

« Reply #31877 on: September 11, 2018, 07:40:26 PM »
Played like the first 20 mins of Spiderman PS4 last night. Won't have a chance to play anymore for a few months, but coming from a bunch of 60fps games, the high-speed movement in Spiderman + 30fps was pretty tough to get used to. Wish there was a PC version :|

bluemax

« Reply #31878 on: September 12, 2018, 03:57:47 AM »
Every time I die at the end of a wave challenge in Spider-Man and have to start back at wave 1, I close the game and go back to DQ11.
NO

Rahxephon91

« Reply #31879 on: September 12, 2018, 06:12:21 AM »
I'm finding Spider-man pretty fun. Combat is pretty good for one of these games. What are these games, rhythm combo games? I don't know, they aren't combo driven action games, more about choosing the right inputs over combos moves. And so far the game's battles seem pretty fun with throwing a nice variation of enemies quickly at you. Since it's not about countering and instead dodging, you dodge go right into attacking. Creating a cool sense of pretty aerobatic fighting.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #31880 on: September 12, 2018, 09:08:16 AM »
Every time I die at the end of a wave challenge in Spider-Man and have to start back at wave 1, I close the game and go back to DQ11.

Gitgud

bluemax

« Reply #31881 on: September 12, 2018, 11:35:16 PM »
Alright, Dragon Quest 11 is fantastic. The desert city reminds me of Ni No Kuni's 1 desert city.

Question:

- how bad is Ni No Kuni 2? I didn't get this game due to reviews and bad word of mouth. Note that I *loved* NNK1 and am *loving* DQ11. Should I bother with NNK2 after that?

I wouldn't say NNK2 is bad, its just way more of a budget game than the first one. And a much more scaled down game with the castle thing there to pad out the game length.
NO

Svejk

« Reply #31882 on: September 13, 2018, 08:27:09 AM »
Alright, Dragon Quest 11 is fantastic. The desert city reminds me of Ni No Kuni's 1 desert city.

Question:

- how bad is Ni No Kuni 2? I didn't get this game due to reviews and bad word of mouth. Note that I *loved* NNK1 and am *loving* DQ11. Should I bother with NNK2 after that?

I wouldn't say NNK2 is bad, its just way more of a budget game than the first one. And a much more scaled down game with the castle thing there to pad out the game length.
Loved NNK1, but I can't being myself to play NNK2.  That main protagonist... I just want to roundhouse that hair and his ears off his head.  Horrible character design.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #31883 on: September 13, 2018, 06:59:07 PM »
Hey gang!

Been off vidya pretty hard this year due to massive study and work commitments but I have been catching up on some classics on the SNES mini.

Beat Earthbound for the first time. Ending was good but the game really runs out of ideas in the final quarter and gets pretty tiresome. The first half is hilarious still.

I'm now playing Final Fantasy VI for the first time ever (criminal I know). I'm glad I'm not playing the uggo mobile version. Game rules! I can see why it's considered such a classic. The OST is probably the best I've heard on the SNES.

So uplifting and heroic!

I'm planning to sell off some of my retro collection to pick up an Xbone and RDR2 once that drops

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31884 on: September 13, 2018, 07:21:50 PM »
I'm planning to sell off some of my retro collection

Might be interested in some of what you've got, hit me up with a PM sometime.
dog

paprikastaude

« Reply #31885 on: September 14, 2018, 02:04:07 PM »
Metal Gear Solid - I have to go back to the fucking lava room?  :crazy Cool game though.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #31886 on: September 14, 2018, 03:30:40 PM »
I hope you know about cardboard box fast travel.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31887 on: September 14, 2018, 04:02:10 PM »
Wizardry 8 has weird leveling. Now I'm at a point where I can win most battles relatively easily. But there are areas with bosses in it that will kill me within two turns. So much so I have to mark the map with "Death" on it so I don't go there. But I'm starting to run out of places to go.
que

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31888 on: September 14, 2018, 07:57:18 PM »
It looks quite magical but no quick scoping, battle royale mode and/or progressive lead character and gender choices.

Overall I rate this backwards piece of Japan trash a 3/10 for trying.

They're completely out of touch with our common values by releasing this video game product in the current political climate just reeks of bad faith IMO.

:teehee
[close]
🤴

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #31889 on: September 15, 2018, 09:16:11 AM »
wow an rpg with random battles and no melodrama how dare you try to sell us this SE. it would be acceptable if this was some ironic indie game that payed like a cheap knockoff of a game released 25 years ago, but this? this?? how dare you
pcp

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #31890 on: September 15, 2018, 10:49:58 AM »
Gonna start playing Alliance Alive on my Tokyo flight in a few... also brought Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon and Gunvolt along with me.
^_^

« Reply #31891 on: September 15, 2018, 03:40:14 PM »
Must have put 25 hours into Dead Cells by now, feels like I haven't improved that much playing all this time. Stopped enjoying it much like 7 hours in to boot, but the short gameplay runs kind of make it addicting. The gameplay is solid, but the rogue like element just doesn't work well with this game and the procedurally generated levels just feel like lazy design. Inb4 'user warned(): calling devs lazy'

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #31892 on: September 15, 2018, 05:42:28 PM »
Destiny 2 got me  :fbm :whew :snoop :beli

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #31893 on: September 16, 2018, 02:28:32 AM »
Beat Spider-Man. In spite of a meddling start it ended up as one of the best superhero games, up there with the first two Arkhams and first two Infamous games.

Now I really want DQ11 but can't justify buying it.

DQ needs the western sales so SE can keep bringing them over...
^_^

Freyj

« Reply #31894 on: September 16, 2018, 11:40:15 AM »
Must have put 25 hours into Dead Cells by now, feels like I haven't improved that much playing all this time. Stopped enjoying it much like 7 hours in to boot, but the short gameplay runs kind of make it addicting. The gameplay is solid, but the rogue like element just doesn't work well with this game and the procedurally generated levels just feel like lazy design. Inb4 'user warned(): calling devs lazy'

reported enjoy ur ban

Try a Survival Build. I was beating my head against HotK with Tactics builds forever until I tried Survival once and beat him first try.

kingv

« Reply #31895 on: September 16, 2018, 12:28:55 PM »
Beat Spider-Man. In spite of a meddling start it ended up as one of the best superhero games, up there with the first two Arkhams and first two Infamous games.

Now I really want DQ11 but can't justify buying it.

I really am excited to finish this one up now.

I thought I was mostly done with it based on the story beats, but glanced at a guide and realized I'm only about halfway.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31896 on: September 16, 2018, 12:59:17 PM »
So of course, I broke down and bought a copy of Bard's tale remastered, thinking "Yeah, I can handle this and Wizardry 8 at the same time!"
Very first fight I run into 8 barbarians and get completely slaughtered.
que

kingv

« Reply #31897 on: September 17, 2018, 10:06:19 AM »
I got past “that part” in spider-man.... and it DOES get way better.

Honestly, the game remind me of Hulk Ultimate destruction now for some reason.... which was an awesome game.

paprikastaude

« Reply #31898 on: September 17, 2018, 10:48:45 AM »
I tried playing Bangai-O Spirits again and got a better feel for it. Still it's strange to make such a niche game basically a Mario Maker-esque package with no real progression, proper introductions or natural difficulty curve (if you haven't played the console versions).

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #31899 on: September 17, 2018, 06:53:49 PM »
Went to HEY arcade in Akihabara which had a whole row of Cave machines, on a whole floor devoted to shmups, so was playing a ton of them. Including the widescreen Darius 2 setup. Also played Alliance Alive, it seems OK so far but hasn't drawn me completely in yet.
^_^

paprikastaude

« Reply #31900 on: September 18, 2018, 01:29:02 PM »
Now that the Spyro remakes are confirmed digital, I went edgy  :esports and got Spyro 2 for PS1 instead. The level design is definitely much more involving than the more shallow first game, but I probably still prefer Crash (and Banjo and Rayman 2). And while at the topic of Insomniac, I'm getting a little more interested in Spiderman :|

Himu

« Reply #31901 on: September 18, 2018, 07:25:24 PM »
I was going to get MM 3d before I watched this video.

They removed Zora swimming?!
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31902 on: September 18, 2018, 07:27:23 PM »
Nintendo giveth

Nintendo taketh away
🤴

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #31903 on: September 18, 2018, 07:33:03 PM »
some of that shit looks stupid, but it also only looks like minor annoyances that'd only really bother a hardcore fan.
pcp

Himu

« Reply #31904 on: September 18, 2018, 07:37:18 PM »
i'm a hardcore MM fan.
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #31905 on: September 18, 2018, 07:42:06 PM »
It's the Ninja Gaiden Sigma of MM.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31906 on: September 18, 2018, 10:26:23 PM »
I sorta get the video about MM being a bad remake, but another part of me finds it a bit nit-picky.

Though the Zora swimming was a huge misstep. Nevertheless, I like the idea of being able to have the QoL improvements and mobile.
que

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #31907 on: September 19, 2018, 03:59:08 AM »
tiesto - buy DQ11 while you are in Japan

IIRC the japanese version has orchestrated soundtrack.

I bought the 3ds version. Most of what I've been buying are souvenirs for my niece and gf, and tshirts. Also got a cool art book filled with the DQ monsters today.
^_^

kingv

« Reply #31908 on: September 20, 2018, 09:13:57 AM »
I finished up the story in Spider-man last night and ultimately really liked it, even though I was pretty down on it at the start.

It’s a game that really gets better as it goes because the pacing is not great. The first 10 hours it looks like it’s going to be this Ubi collectathon, and then it goes away from that in the last 3rd. Because of that, the last 3rd ends up justifying the rest of the game.

I would still change up the pacing of the story, though if I were going to make the game again from scratch.
I would keep the same plot beats, but would have changed how the missions led into the last bit. The biggest problem with the first half of the game is a lack of recognizable villains to fight, and i think there is a way to tie the story more directly to the results of the game by by bringing encounters with some of the villains in earlier. Side missions where you put away Vulture, rhino, scorpion, or Electro (perhaps in their “old” gear) would have foreshadowed the sinister six a little better and been more fun than just fighting waves of gangsters for 10 hours.

I also would have removed all but one of the miles portions. I get that they are there because they are trying to introduce the character, but I didn’t find any of them fun. MJ’s were better because they had plot related parts and simple puzzles.

Also, I would take out the towers. They’re just pointless. Would’ve helped make it feel less Ubi ish.

[close]

Only other complaint is that I wish there was a bit more to the web swinging. More tricks, moves, and options... even if they weren’t technically needed would have made it feel more awesome.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #31909 on: September 21, 2018, 09:20:36 AM »
Dishonored (360) - popped the 10 pt. Achievement, Rogue, for assassinating 10 unsuspecting victims, which brought me to an even 100,000 Gamerscore at long last. I think my first cheevo was in the first Assassins Creed, so this seems appropriate.

n.b. Sceneman got to 100K a few years back, when we were gaming regularly. Demi probably has half a mil or whatever, but this was a long-standing goal for me. I can return to not caring about Achievements the same as PSN Trophies now.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #31910 on: September 22, 2018, 06:52:14 AM »
Went to TGS but didn't really play anything. Aside from some weird indie quiz game with a device that released floral scents when you answer questions correctly. Mainly there to take in the atmosphere and see a performance by Falcom Sound Team JDK, which was awesome. They only played Sen no Kiseki music (mostly from 3 and 4), and the battle theme from the first Trails in the Sky, no Ys :(
^_^

paprikastaude

« Reply #31911 on: September 22, 2018, 08:15:44 PM »
Wasting another close to 30 minute session on Behemoth in Monster Hunter World near the end :goty What a bitch.

benjipwns

« Reply #31912 on: September 23, 2018, 04:29:53 AM »
I was going to get MM 3d before I watched this video.

They removed Zora swimming?!
There's some more details here from a few posters, filler posted same vid a few weeks ago: http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=33514.msg2493572#msg2493572

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #31913 on: September 23, 2018, 03:56:00 PM »
breath of the wild ended up frustrating me more than anything because near the middle-end, i started realizing what could've been

truly a flawed masterpiece, where its flaws bring it down a notch or two

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #31914 on: September 23, 2018, 09:09:41 PM »
Destiny 2  :stahp

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #31915 on: September 24, 2018, 05:22:54 AM »
Going back again (again, again, again) to World of Tanks. There's a bunch of new content, but all of it seems inaccessible.

Bought a used PSVR, looking for neat stuff to play. SUPER HOT and WIPEOUT are at the top of the list so far. Also, using the headset instead of my Desperation Mode 20" screen is pretty darned sweet. Also watched some Netflix on it, and it felt like I had my own movie theater. :hyper

paprikastaude

« Reply #31916 on: September 24, 2018, 04:41:59 PM »
There's actually a pretty good amount of postgame content in MH World when all the events are unlocked during the festivals, kind of dumb to lock away most of the content every other time of the year. And despite the halloween makeup, fall festival doesn't even seem to go far into october.  :-\ Guess I'll be dedicated to MH during these occasional weeks.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31917 on: September 25, 2018, 09:48:47 PM »
Got Metal Max Xeno and I am looooving it even though it is MEGA JANK. Feels like a late-PS2 c-tier JRPG that didn't make it out in time and ended up getting ported up to the PS3, so basically like a game from 12 years ago. And I don't even care, but I'm fighting weird robo-monsters with a tank in a post-apocalyptic world.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #31918 on: September 26, 2018, 11:38:34 AM »
Fired up Arkham Knight by accident, ended up playing about 30 minutes. It's stunningly gorgeous.

Decided to start Shantae: Risky's Revenge as well. It's surprisingly acclaimed for an "old school" game with every limited guidance on how to play. Game doesn't even have a "controls" scheme in its Pause Menu.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31919 on: September 28, 2018, 01:51:55 AM »
So my Wizardry 8 journey continues.

But I'm starting to get to the point where I'm sorta done with it? I don't know. Like in Might and Magic X I loved it, but then I just got to a point where I was like "Yeah...that's enough for now". It wasn't that it was bad or boring or anything. It was just that I was done with it. I'll play for a few more hours, it's been glorious, but I don't know how much I'd regret not finishing it.
que