Author Topic: Borecast Episode 13: A Single White Glove, Bad Jobs, Ghostbusters, BlazBlue  (Read 2977 times)

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Direct download - http://media.libsyn.com/media/borecast/Borecast13.mp3

This week Doug and Kevin reflect on past miserable workplace experiences, review a diverse selection of games, read your best fanboy stories, pose a couple of genuinely offensive Either/Or questions to each other, and mourn the loss of a dazzling performer who forever changed the face of entertainment. RIP, Karl Malden.

SEGMENT ONE: THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM, CRAPPY JOBS

There's been a dearth of Michael Jackson coverage since his death, so we take the first ten minutes of the show to fill that void with unwarranted opinions and factual inaccuracies.

(13:00) Doug talks about his time working in the automotive service industry and stripping bark off trees, while Kevin talks about working in a Chinese restaurant and on a contract painting crew. Tell us your crap job stories!

SEGMENT TWO: THE PLAYLIST, EITHER/OR, LISTENER MAIL

PLAYLIST

(48:50) Ghostbusters
(58:35) Fallout 3: Point Lookout
(1:04:55) BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger
(1:16:45) Dynasty Warriors 6: Empires
(1:29:00) Time Gentlemen, Please! - http://www.zombie-cow.com/

EITHER/OR

(1:35:45) It's bad, you'll probably get mad, best just to skip it if you're easily offended.

LISTENER MAIL

(1:40:15)

We read and react to some of the worst fanboy encounters from the listeners, and share a few more anecdotes of our own.

We'll talk to you again on July 20!

sup

tehjaybo

• Kentucky-Bore's Last Hope
Downloading now.  Can't wait!
HURR

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Also downloading, I will listen to it tonight!
PSP

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
 :lol Jon and Kate :lol
jon

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
sup

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
I know who Magnum P.I is!
Boo

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
I liked the show.

I don't have much of a comment this week besides that I hope I don't get shitty jobs like you guys.
Boo

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
someone post the ghostbusters impressions so i can be disappointed if they are negative. sorry but ghostbusters is goty. ok.
fat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
great if you're a fan, kinda middling if you aren't
sup

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
demi and I will london bridge anyone that even remotely trashes the game.

We will break you in two.
PSP

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
great if you're a fan, kinda middling if you aren't
sup

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Sounds like Eel JUST SUCKS AT IT!!!!!!!!!!! GHOSTBUSTERS GOTY!!!!!!!!!!!
fat

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
THATS RIGHT BABY TAKE THE FRONT I WILL RAM THIS GOTY GOODNESS IN FROM THE BACK ARGH
PSP

tehjaybo

• Kentucky-Bore's Last Hope
THATS RIGHT BABY TAKE THE FRONT I WILL RAM THIS GOTY GOODNESS IN FROM THE BACK ARGH

:-*
HURR

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
In response to Prof. Prole's fanboy inqueries:

-I used to wonder what some of those guys did for a living too, but I wasn't going to make the mistake of talking to them any more than I had to!

-One friend of mine who did almost nothing but play MMORPGs (this was back when Everquest was the big game) was able to keep up his lifestyle because his parents were rich.  The room he had in his mother's house was bigger than the last apartment I lived in!  At one point he got kicked out of school (one story I heard was that he was into some game which had bases you needed to defend.  Everything was real time, and if your base got attacked, you had the option of getting text alerts [possibly phone calls?] to your cell warning you about this.  So he'd get these messages and BOLT from class back to his dorm room.  I WONDER WHY HE FAILED OUT?) and as "punishment," was confined to his room all day long.  His parents took away his car, so all he'd do 24 hours a day for six-eight months was play Everquest until 8am, sleep until the late afternoon, get up and order a pizza, and repeat the entire process all over again.

-I don't think any of the fanboys that came into my store had the most luxurious of jobs.  Most of them wore years-old faded comic book t-shirts.  There was this one trio of dudes we used to call "The Three Amigos" who, for most of the nine years I worked at the store, wore the same exact clothes every time they came in, no matter what the season.  These guys never bought anything; they'd just come in, ask to check out the latest import, and then leave to go get themselves a burned copy.  The leader would always say "My girlfriend in Japan's going to send me a copy," LOL.  We stopped seeing them after we were finally given permission by the boss to not let them try out any game until they finally bought something.  I remember one of them muttering something about how he had purchased a game like two years earlier.   :lol  Eventually they did come back, but only that same guy would come in alone and attempt to try out a game while the others sat in the car outside.

-Your impression of the guy who called about Area 51 was dead-on except for the end.  He SCREAMED "AREA 51!!!!!!!!!!!!!" incredibly loud and slammed the phone down!   :lol  I guess the "punchline" is that he was so convinced the game existed on Dreamcast, and wanted me to waste time running down the gun games on the system anyway. 

-@ Swaggaz' anime club story  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

-Totally in agreement with everyone on the nostalgic memories of there being far less fanboys back in the day.  It's hard to believe I used to actually enjoy going to game stores once!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 02:38:50 PM by the lyte edge »
ど助平

Ganhyun

• Used to worship Muckhole. Now worships Robo.
I'll download it and listen to it later today. I still need to get you that audio clip too Eel.
XDF

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
one story I heard was that he was into some game which had bases you needed to defend.  Everything was real time, and if your base got attacked, you had the option of getting text alerts [possibly phone calls?] to your cell warning you about this.

That sounds like 10Six. I never played it, but I remember reading about it in PC Gamer back in the day.
©@©™

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
I GET TO LISTEN NOW YAY.

and maybe start recording those damn movie reviews, lol.
HLR

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
A week later and I'm finally getting to listen in. That shitty job segment was gold, especially Eel's stories of his co-workers. Going to finish it up tomorrow.
fek

cool breeze

Eel just dropped a Space Jam reference.  This podcast is great.