Author Topic: The Movie News/Reviews Thread  (Read 637419 times)

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
The Movie News/Reviews Thread
« on: July 10, 2009, 11:03:11 PM »
To avoid many different topics everytime James Cameron says the word "Avatar" somewhere or Brett Ratner gets to wreck another franchise; use this thread for any sort of movie-related news. 
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 09:59:14 AM by funky action »
CBG

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
Re: The Movie News Topic
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 11:04:34 PM »
Ryan Reynolds is Hal Jordan in the Green Lantern:
http://weblogs.variety.com/bfdealmemo/2009/07/ryan-reynolds-is-the-green-lantern.html

Too young IMO
CBG

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 11:04:47 PM »
great OP!  Will check back when there is real news.   

edit 13 seconds you dick!   >:(
NtGay

ManaByte

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 11:08:43 PM »
Well it looks like FOX has to wait to rape Deadpool now.
CBG

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Repost!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 11:26:39 PM »
Ryan Reynolds cast as sarcastic super hero

Los Angeles, AP - In a surprise move, some Hollywood studio cast the affable Ryan Reynolds as the main character in their latest superhero film where the costumed vigilante fights justice with a sardonic wit.

"We really had to search long and hard for a handsome actor with chiseled good looks that brought earnest smug to the character," said the studio executive, "And we were astounded to see this test footage with [Ryan] Reynolds acting cocky and sarcastic - it was range we never knew he had."

Reynolds, best known for his roles in The Amityville Horror and The Nines, has struggled against being typecasted as a serious, brooding actor.  The above average director, who will helm this light, adventure picture - in what is sure to be as stretch for him - had initial reservations about casting Reynolds.

"See, this guy isn't like all the other superheroes," said the director, "He's a real cheeky f-----.  And I wasn't sure he was capable of biting sarcasm and deadpan delivery, but he knocked it out of the ballpark."

The fan community, which had been campaigning Reynolds for the role since it was leaked that a script was being written, was notably excited.

"Ryan Reynolds is perfect for this character," wrote one Internet fan on his message board, "He perfectly captures the emotional depth that this character needs - also he is muscular and really sarcastic."

Reynolds will reportedly get into shape for the role by banging his ridiculously hot wife repeatedly, and practicing his acting chops with Dane Cook.
PSP

ManaByte

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 11:34:18 PM »
Bruce Greenwood is the perfect Hal Jordan.
CBG

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 12:36:45 AM »
Wow, Willco, seriously, props on the biting sarcasm. I'm literally amazed. There's no way I could have typed that without crying or something.
HLR

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 01:00:37 AM »
i get all my movie news here
QED

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 01:04:55 AM »
Mel Gibson will star in "The Beaver" for director Jodie Foster.
The script, written by Kyle Killen, topped the Blacklist in December.

Gibson will play a depressed man who finds solace in wearing a beaver hand-puppet. On top of helming, Foster will play the role of the man’s wife.

Foster boarded the project and brought it to Gibson, with whom she co-starred in 1994's "Maverick."

Anonymous Content's Steve Golin and Keith Redmon will produce the film. Producers are pushing for a September start date in New York.

Financing for the $18 million-$19 million pic has yet to be finalized. A studio could pick up the project or it could go the indie route, as Golin did with Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu's "Babel."

It's possible that Gibson's production company Icon could get involved in some way. Icon has distribution shingles in territories such as the U.K. and Australia.

Project had several star and director combos circling -- including Steve Carell and Jay Roach -- over the past several months.

Pic brings Foster back to feature directing for the third time, after 1991's "Little Man Tate" and 1995's "Home for the Holidays."

TL;DR version = Mel Gibson is in Jodie Foster's Beaver.
©@©™

ManaByte

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 01:07:03 AM »
More precisely his hand is in Jodie Fosters Beaver.

CBG

Dickie Dee

• Slip off the academic gown and on with the antic pants!
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 02:30:30 AM »
Maverick was fuck awesome, who'd of thought that Mel Gibson would turn out to be a religious nut to the right of the Pope.
___

ManaByte

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 06:27:40 AM »
The clock is ticking on a Superman sequel:
In a decision announced Wednesday, U.S. Judge District Court Judge Stephen G. Larson found that the license fees the studio paid to corporate sibling DC Comics didn't represent "sweetheart" deals as they weren't below fair market value. That means the heirs will be able seek profits only from DC Comics—which earned $13.6 million from Warner Brothers for the 2006 release of Superman Returns—rather than from Warner Brothers as well. ...
The judge also set a Dec. 1 trial date for determining the allocation of profits to the heirs, who won a ruling last year from Larson that awarded them half the copyright for the Superman material. ...

The judge, who conducted a 10-day bench trial, also noted that Warner Brothers chairman Alan Horn had testified that he hopes to make another Superman movie but added that the property wasn't under development at the studio, that no script had been written and that the earliest another Superman pic could be released would be in 2012. ...

Attorney Marc Toberoff, who represents heirs Joanne Siegel and Laura Siegel Larson, told Daily Variety that the judge had erred in not considering comparable licensing deals for best-selling novels penned by Tom Clancy and Michael Crichton and popular musicals such as My Fair Lady. ...

Toberoff also asserted in a written statement that the Siegel heirs and the heirs of co-creator Joe Shuster will own the entire Superman copyright in 2013.

That last bit must make DC Comics cry. They lose Superman in 4 years.
CBG

Cheebs

• How's my posting? Call 1-866-MAF-BANS to report flame bait.
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 09:53:37 AM »
Bruce Greenwood is the perfect Hal Jordan.
Way too old to be a super hero.

ManaByte

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 12:42:39 AM »
Apparently Eli Roth is going to turn Thanksgiving into a movie. He has to keep the trampoline scene!!!!!
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 01:45:41 PM »
Natalie Portman cast in THOR:

Natalie Portman to Star as Jane Foster in Marvel Studios’ THOR

Marvel Studios announced today that Academy Award® nominated actress Natalie Portman has been cast to star as Jane Foster in the studio’s highly anticipated movie THOR. In the early THOR comics, JANE FOSTER was a nurse who became Thor's first love. The character will be updated for the feature adaptation. Portman will star opposite Chris Hemsworth who will play Thor and Tom Hiddleston who will play the villain Loki. Kenneth Branagh will direct the film.

Marvel Studios’ Kevin Feige will produce THOR. Principal photography for the film is set for early 2010. The film will be released in the US on May 20, 2011 and distributed by Paramount Pictures.

Marvel Studios expands its film universe with a new type of superhero: THOR. This epic adventure spans the Marvel Universe; from present day Earth to the realm of Asgard. At the center of the story is The Mighty Thor, a powerful but arrogant warrior whose reckless actions reignite an ancient war. Thor is cast down to Earth and forced to live among humans as punishment. Once here, Thor learns what it takes to be a true hero when the most dangerous villain of his world sends the darkest forces of Asgard to invade Earth.

Portman will next be seen starring in Jim Sheridan’s BROTHERS opposite Jake Gyllenhaal and Tobey Maguire. She recently wrapped production on HESHER, starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and executive produced by her production company handsomecharlie films, and Don Roos’ LOVE AND OTHER IMPOSSIBLE PURSUITS, which also she executive produced. In 2004, she won a Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress as well as an Academy Award nomination in the same category for CLOSER. She also earned critical acclaim for her role in GARDEN STATE and is most well known for her role as Queen Padme Amidala in the STAR WARS Trilogy. Other film credits include THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL, V FOR VENDETTA, COLD MOUNTAIN, ANYWHERE BUT HERE, HEAT, BEAUTIFUL GIRLS, and THE PROFESSIONAL.

THOR is one of a continuing slate of films being produced by Marvel Studios based on the Marvel characters, including IRON MAN 2 on May 7, 2010, THE FIRST AVENGER: CAPTAIN AMERICA on July 22, 2011, and THE AVENGERS on May 4, 2012.

Portman is represented by Brillstein Entertainment Partners, CAA and George Sheanshang.
CBG

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 07:38:13 PM »
Can't wait for Thor, I hope they cast a Swiss hottie as Lady Sif :drool
Drunk

ManaByte

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 04:43:51 PM »

CBG

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 04:52:51 PM »
Who is Mickey Rourke playing?
PSP

Tucah

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2009, 05:04:57 PM »
Mickey Rourke + Sam Rockwell means Iron Man is going to be awesome

Phoenix Dark

• The only nicca Sade dated
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2009, 05:07:02 PM »
That movie is looking worse and worse, everytime I see something new from it

ManaByte

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 04:08:21 PM »
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]
CBG

Borys

• CAPTAIN OF XBOX DEATH SQUAD
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 04:10:19 PM »
That movie is looking worse and worse, everytime I see something new from it

Go cry into a Harry Potter book.

While raiding :lol

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 04:14:14 PM »
God Sherlock Holmes looks like shit.

cool breeze

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 04:24:04 PM »
2 Wild Wild 2 West

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 04:35:57 PM »
I really don't see anything that makes it look bad. ???
PSP

Herr Mafflard

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 05:44:18 PM »

Oh you mean other than it being a Guy Shit-Tits film?

Diunx

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2009, 05:57:13 PM »
Black Widow looks hot :drool I wish her outfit would be tighter though kinda like the GI Joe chicks.
Drunk

Barry Egan

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2009, 06:43:15 PM »

Yeah, maybe I'm speaking out of turn.  "Lets take this classic work of literature and make a slow-mo laden faux-steampunk action movie" is potentially a really A+ idea and oh my god everyone working in hollywood is a degenerate.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 06:45:21 PM by Chipopo »

Diunx

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2009, 06:46:53 PM »
Holmes is like a fucking comic book character, he even "died" and came back to life, as long as the movie is good I have no problem with it.
Drunk

ManaByte

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2009, 06:51:52 PM »

Yeah, maybe I'm speaking out of turn.  "Lets take this classic work of literature and make a slow-mo laden faux-steampunk action movie" is potentially a really A+ idea and oh my god everyone working in hollywood is a degenerate.

And the Will Farrell/Borat version will be any better?
CBG

Barry Egan

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2009, 06:57:12 PM »
yes that's exactly what I was getting at.  Spot on work there, Holmes  :tophat

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2009, 07:34:04 PM »
I don't think it looks that bad and it seems to be far more faithful to the character than other adaptations - including his fighting skills and lack of cleanliness.
PSP

ManaByte

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2009, 07:35:23 PM »
I don't think it looks that bad and it seems to be far more faithful to the character than other adaptations - including his fighting skills and lack of cleanliness.

Yup. The previous adaptations never really showed him as the bare knuckle boxer and stick fighter that he was. They also played down the alcohol and drugs.
CBG

Phoenix Dark

• The only nicca Sade dated
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2009, 11:51:48 PM »

Yup. The previous adaptations never really showed him as the bare knuckle boxer and stick fighter that he was. They also played down the alcohol and drugs.

I can understand a studio sexing up Holmes for viewers. But turning it into Wild Wild West/PotC type fuckery is utterly ridiculous

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2009, 12:44:52 AM »
That's basically what Sherlock Holmes is, though.  He had a drug habit and was a boxer and incredibly smart.

Sherlock Holmes was never SERIOS BUSINESS.
PSP

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2009, 01:03:58 AM »
I liked Hound of the Baskervilles with Peter Cushing as Holmes. This looks pretty cheese-tastic, on the other hand.
dog

ManaByte

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2009, 02:41:20 PM »
Crowe, by the way, recently told AP that work was tentatively progressing on another MASTER AND COMMANDER film - he'd again appear as Jack Aubrey. It's said to be an amalgam of several books in the Aubrey series, primarily focusing on THE REVERSE OF THE MEDAL; it's already been scripted.
CBG

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2009, 03:11:33 PM »
Crowe, by the way, recently told AP that work was tentatively progressing on another MASTER AND COMMANDER film - he'd again appear as Jack Aubrey. It's said to be an amalgam of several books in the Aubrey series, primarily focusing on THE REVERSE OF THE MEDAL; it's already been scripted.

Woah, this is really coming out of nowhere. Well, I'm definitely up for it. The first movie was really good, although it seems to have been all but forgotten by most everyone.
dog

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2009, 10:39:55 AM »
Looks awesome.

Borys

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2009, 12:03:43 PM »
Disgusting CGI :yuck

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2009, 10:39:18 PM »
I just discovered that Will Arnett is going to be the bad guy in the Jonah Hex movie. I've gone from "Don't Care" to "Mildly Care".
fek

Enl

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2009, 11:02:24 PM »

First image of Haley as Freddy Krueger in the remake.

I'm actually shocked that they didn't try to screw with his look like everyone else has done with every slasher remake this generation.
mmm

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2009, 03:04:58 AM »
[youtube=560,345]KvS5jmB1jzI[/youtube]

Fallout 3: The Mother Fucking movie

So awesome
:9

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2009, 05:11:19 AM »
Gary Whitta aped Fallout! :P
PSP

ManaByte

« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2009, 05:17:31 AM »
Oh shit. The Hughes Bros? It's going to suck.
CBG

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2009, 05:22:58 AM »
They're not bad directors, though.
PSP

ManaByte

« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2009, 05:26:29 AM »
They just pick shitty scripts. From Hell?

And, Gary Whitta:
CBG

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2009, 05:56:10 AM »
Book of Eli had to be a decent spec script if it was picked up and Whitta is an unknown.  And The Hughes Brothers are decent directors.  From Hell isn't awful, dude.  Store the nerd rage.
PSP

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2009, 06:00:31 AM »
I wonder if the visual direction is actually being pulled from Fallout 3 or something (or is there some other precedent?). Its as if the Hughes Brothers played the game and had this image in mind when filming. I'm not that knowledgeable on how movie are born and progress but would Gary have that much influence on the actual look of the movie?

Either way, I love the way it looks and can't wait to watch it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 06:02:22 AM by BlueTsunami »
:9

Borys

« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2009, 07:19:15 AM »
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO hard for the Book of Eli.

Finally a decent Mad Max clone!

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2009, 10:49:22 AM »

So awesome

This trailer pleases me greatly.
dog

ManaByte

« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2009, 06:21:25 PM »
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i64d7e42a898297d743cce7f17982cc1f

Paramount smells a rat.

As rodents prove surprisingly likable on the big screen, the studio is developing a feature version of the award-winning children's tale "Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH."

Director Neil Burger ("The Illusionist") is in talks to write the screenplay, and former Walden exec Cary Granat is on board to produce.

A pic would be the second theatrical go-round for the book, which MGM brought to the screen in 1982 as the animated "The Secret of NIMH," directed by Don Bluth.

Robert C. O'Brien's "Rats of NIMH" won the Newbery Medal in 1972 and has been a staple in children's bookstores and libraries since. The story centers on a mouse -- the titular Mrs. Frisby, re-named Mrs. Brisby in the MGM movie -- faced with a crisis when her son falls ill and she must move her family to escape a farmer's plow.

Mrs. Frisby enlists a group of former lab rats, whom she soon discovers run a highly evolved society, who possess advanced technologies and divide labor in the manner of a human community.

Formerly relegated to sidekick status, rodents have recently come into their own as leading, er, men. This weekend "G-Force," which centers on a mission undertaken by a group of CG guinea pigs, took the boxoffice cheese, earning $32 million and besting holdover "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince."

Those familiar with "NIMH" noted, however, that the material had elements of a parable and reflected more serious ideas than the comparatively light comedy of "G-Force."

It's likely the new "NIMH" would combine live-action and animation in the manner of "Alvin & the Chipmunks" and other kiddie hybrids.

Granat is a family-fare veteran, producing pics at Walden that include "Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D" and serving as exec producer in the first pic in the "Spy Kids" franchise.

"NIMH" would be Burger's first foray into family fare. The CAA-repped writer-director's previous work includes the Ed Norton period magician tale "The Illusionist" and the Tim Robbins post-Iraq pic "The Lucky Ones." He's also on board to write the "Bride of Frankenstein" reboot at Universal."

:yuck
CBG

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2009, 11:57:07 PM »
There's no way they'll let it be as dark as the first movie.
dog

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2009, 12:07:46 AM »
secret of NIHM was awesome. 
NtGay

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2009, 12:12:44 AM »
I know when I think Secret of NIMH, the first thing I think is "I wish this was more like the Alvin & the Chimpmunks movie." :yuck
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2009, 12:14:21 AM »
secret of NIHM was awesome. 

Don Bluth turned out some really good movies in the 80's and early 90's.

I know when I think Secret of NIMH, the first thing I think is "I wish this was more like the Alvin & the Chimpmunks movie." :yuck

Yeah, or G-Force. :yuck
dog

Borys

« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2009, 02:43:26 AM »
Or Ratatooshit :yuck

« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2009, 03:16:48 AM »
They just pick shitty scripts. From Hell?

And, Gary Whitta:

lol u mad?

u mad
野球

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2009, 12:18:05 PM »

So awesome

Fight scenes looked weak, will have to see more of this to determine it's awesome level.  :-*
:)