Author Topic: The Movie News/Reviews Thread  (Read 637430 times)

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
Re: The Movie News Topic
« Reply #180 on: February 12, 2010, 05:39:32 PM »
RIDDICK

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118015101.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Vin Diesel is going back to the future to topline and produce a third chapter in the "Chronicles of Riddick" franchise.

Universal will handle domestic distribution on the sci-fi film, which is titled "Riddick." Lionsgate is selling international rights at the Berlin Film Festival.

David Twohy -- who wrote and directed the first two films in the series, "Pitch Black" and "The Chronicles of Riddick" -- will helm from a screenplay he penned.

Plot details are being kept under wraps. But insiders say the third outing will hew closer in tone to the cult hit "Pitch Black" and will focus on the character of Riddick as opposed to the universe he inhabits, which was the case with the critically panned "Chronicles of Riddick." Still, "Chronicles of Riddick" earned $116 million worldwide and spawned a successful vidgame series.

Dates are being worked out for "Riddick" so as not to overlap with Universal's fifth installment of "Fast and Furious," which will shoot sometime this year with Diesel onboard to star and produce.

Diesel and Samantha Vincent are producing "Riddick" through their One Race Films banner. Radar Films' Ted Fields is also producing.

Twohy most recently wrote and directed "A Perfect Getaway."
CBG

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #181 on: February 12, 2010, 06:01:10 PM »
and will focus on the character of Riddick as opposed to the universe he inhabits

Translation: "We took a bath on the last movie, so this one's going to be made a lot cheaper."
©@©™

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #182 on: February 12, 2010, 06:03:06 PM »
Seeing as how Pitch Black was better than Chronicles with a fraction of the budget...that's not a bad thing.
CBG

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #183 on: February 12, 2010, 06:13:19 PM »
is there any word about what David Fincher is doing next?

I've heard anything from an adaptaton of Rendevous with Rama to the Black Hole graphic novel.

both would be nice :)
SRY

ManaByte

« Reply #184 on: February 12, 2010, 06:49:14 PM »
Kozinski is doing Black Hole when Tron is finished, so Fincher isn't doing that.
CBG

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #185 on: February 12, 2010, 06:54:50 PM »
dude, WHAT?!?

source plz :drool
SRY

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #186 on: February 12, 2010, 07:05:46 PM »
and will focus on the character of Riddick as opposed to the universe he inhabits

Translation: "We took a bath on the last movie, so this one's going to be made a lot cheaper."
I'd be fine with that. The best stuff in Pitch Black was the character interaction, and the worst stuff from Chronicles was trying to auto-generate a huge Warhammer 40K background universe for him to inhabit. Necromongers? Really?

ManaByte

CBG

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #188 on: February 12, 2010, 08:35:25 PM »
is there any word about what David Fincher is doing next?

He's doing The Social Network, a movie about Facebook, with the Aaron Sorkin [The West Wing, Sports Night, A Few Good Men].
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 08:49:37 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #189 on: February 12, 2010, 08:36:15 PM »
Seeing as how Pitch Black was better than Chronicles with a fraction of the budget...that's not a bad thing.

I'll miss the epic space opera trappings, even if it was schlocky. :(
©@©™

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #190 on: February 12, 2010, 09:44:06 PM »
yay. riddick
nat

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #191 on: February 12, 2010, 11:41:23 PM »
SRY

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #192 on: February 13, 2010, 12:01:02 AM »
dude, WHAT?!?

source plz :drool

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2010/02/09/exclusive-joseph-kosinskis-black-hole-to-begin-script-work-soon-will-preserve-maximilian-cygnus-and-more/

That's a remake of the 70s movie, not an adaptation of the Charles Burns comic! Fail! But awesome too.

The ending of Black Hole was such a wild scene. The rest of the movie was cheesy and overwrought [not necessarily in a bad way though], but the ending was really something else:

[youtube=560,345]BDj6XtZrxvw[/youtube]

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the remake.
dog

ManaByte

« Reply #193 on: February 13, 2010, 02:22:00 AM »
Diesel twittered that they may film part of Riddick in Egypt. Riddick goes to Tatooine.
CBG

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #194 on: February 13, 2010, 07:15:01 AM »
Diesel twittered that they may film part of Riddick in Egypt. Riddick goes to Tatooine.
Wasn't the Pitch Black planet mostly desert? Am I misremembering something?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #195 on: February 13, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »
Wasn't the Pitch Black planet mostly desert?

Yes.
dog

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #196 on: February 14, 2010, 02:40:34 AM »
a real Pitch Black 2 would be pretty cool.  Hell, it'd be nice to actually want to see a Vin Diesel movie, I forgot about the forgettable Find Me Guilty, its not bad, but aside from that its been a pretty shite decade for the Vinster.

ManaByte

CBG

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #198 on: March 08, 2010, 02:51:19 PM »
Greatest trilogy ever?
PSP

ManaByte

« Reply #199 on: March 08, 2010, 02:53:11 PM »
Greatest trilogy ever?
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #200 on: March 09, 2010, 04:42:33 PM »
CBG

Philip Cardgage

• Frank O'Conner's (Franchise Development Director of the once well reviewed Halo series) Life Coach
« Reply #201 on: March 09, 2010, 04:44:27 PM »
Black Cauldron KICKED ASS

ManaByte

« Reply #202 on: March 09, 2010, 05:01:31 PM »
They're re-releasing a special edition DVD of Black Cauldron with the deleted scenes this summer.
CBG

Phoenix Dark

• The only nicca Sade dated
« Reply #203 on: March 09, 2010, 05:11:07 PM »

this looks cool

ManaByte

« Reply #204 on: March 09, 2010, 05:12:44 PM »
I like how pissed off Tim Burton looks.
CBG

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #205 on: March 10, 2010, 11:34:46 AM »
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/

Christopher Nolan takes flight with Superman: 'We have a fantastic story'

The topic at the Batcave on Monday night was the future of that other superhero — you, know, the one from Metropolis. “It’s very exciting, we have a fantastic story,” Christopher Nolan said while sipping tea in the sleek editing suite that fills the converted garage adjacent to his Hollywood home. “And we feel we can do it right. We know the milieu, if you will, we know the genre and how to get it done right.”

Nolan said that he admired Singer’s film, especially the way it connected in to director Richard Donner’s version of Superman and the first two movies starring Reeve. Nolan added, though, that this new movie will stand on its own.

“A lot of people have approached Superman in a lot of different ways. I only know the way that has worked for us that’s what I know how to do,” Nolan said, emphasizing the idea that Batman exists in a world where he is the only superhero and a similar approach to the Man of Steel would assure the integrity needed for the film. “Each serves to the internal logic of the story. They have nothing to do with each other.”

“He basically told me, ‘I have this thought about how you would approach Superman,’” Nolan recalled. “I immediately got it, loved it and thought: That is a way of approaching the story I’ve never seen before that makes it incredibly exciting. I wanted to get Emma and I involved in shepherding the project right away and getting it to the studio and getting it going in an exciting way.”

Goyer is now writing the screenplay and Nolan is keeping it close to the vest.

“We’re approaching it in a not dissimilar way in terms of trying to find an incredible story in a way that audiences can engage with it the way they engage with contemporary action films,” Nolan continued. “I think David’s approach is a very good way of doing just that.”

And that third Batman film? Jonathan Nolan is “now doing the hard work” of writing the script based on the story by his sibling Goyer. “My brother is writing a script for me and we’ll wait to see how it turns out...he’s struggling to put it together into the epic story that you want it to be.”

“Batman Begins” was the origin and back story of the hero, while “The Dark Knight” found the hero reeling as his Manichean, good vs. evil world view was  upended by a new villain, the Joker, who was a wild-card agent of chaos going up against order, be it a police department or the mob. The second film ends, literally, with Batman on the run, a fugitive.

So what happens next?

“Without getting into specifics, the key thing that makes the third film an great possibility for us is that we want to finish our story,” he said. “And in viewing it as the finishing of a story rather than infinitely blowing up the balloon and expanding the story.”

His villain choices to date have steered cleared of strongly supernatural or super-science characters (no Man-Bat, Mr. Freeze or Poison Ivy, for instance) but he shook his head when asked if that was trajectory he would continue. He did however concede one tidbit: “It won’t be," he said, "Mr. Freeze.”

“I’m very excited about the end of the film, the conclusion, and what we’ve done with the characters,” Nolan said.“My brother has come up with some pretty exciting stuff. Unlike the comics, these thing don’t go on forever in film and viewing it as a story with an end is useful. Viewing it as an ending, that sets you very much on the right track about the appropriate conclusion and the essence of what tale we’re telling. And it hearkens back to that priority of trying to find the reality in these fantastic stories. That’s what we do.”

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/03/10/new-inception-tidbits-plot-details-confirmed-running-time-and-conception/

“Basically the film deals with levels of reality, and perceptions of reality which is something I’m very interested in. Its an action film set in a contemporary world, but with a slight science-fiction bent to it. Cobb [Leonardo DiCaprio's character], who is the center of things and expert in a particular technology that the film revolves around, has put this team around him [Ellen Page, Tom Hardy, Joseph Gordon Levitt]. It’s very much an ensemble film structured somewhat as a heist movie. It’s an action adventure that spans the globe.”

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/03/10/jesse-ventura-also-filmed-role-in-secret-wachowski-brothers-futuristic-war-movie/

Appearing on Tuesday’s episode of the Howard Stern Show on Sirius/XM Satellite radio, the professional wrestler turned actor turned governor Jesse Ventura dropped word that he just got done filming a movie for the Wachowskis. When asked if he missed acting and would ever consider returning to the big screen, Ventura dropped the bomb shell:

“I just did one with the Wachowski brothers…”

“Wait til you hear what they did. They brought me, and they brought Arianna Huffington in after me. Arianna was there, and they had her looking like cleopatra. What they did… Do you remember what John Travolta looked like in that horrible film Battlefield Earth? They put multicolored dreadlocks on me all the way to here. They gave me this crazy beard that was hanging down pointed, looked like Travolta, right? And they put a third eye in the middle of my forehead. Because what this is, is this is a hundred years in the future, and they wanted me to talk about the current war in Iraq and how I felt about it. And so I got to vent, looking like this maniac in this whole outfit.”

Ventura said he did his rant about Iraq and then he was questioned by Lana off camera, documentary style. Stern responded that he doesn’t “understand what this part is about”, to which Ventura quickly responded: “Neither do I!”
Drunk

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #206 on: March 10, 2010, 12:16:47 PM »
I thought they came out a while ago and flat out said Noland was having nothing to do with Superman.  What the fuck.  And the Wachowskis working again :hyper

Cravis

« Reply #207 on: March 10, 2010, 12:22:15 PM »
Still hoping for a classy 30s style gangster Penguin. Phillip Seymour Hoffman would own that role. Go ahead and bring in Killer Croc as his enforcer. Somone with a nasty skin disorder and immense strength. Bane would make an excellent choice too. He matches Batman in both strength and intelligence.

This final film in Nolan's trilogy must deal with redemption. Everyone hates Batman now. They think he's a killer. The trilogy will have to end with him making amends with the city. He will never be the inspiration he was at the beginning of Dark Knight again but he will become Gotham's defender in the eyes of its citizens. A defender they know they will never be able to fully trust.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #208 on: March 10, 2010, 12:24:07 PM »
I thought they came out a while ago and flat out said Noland was having nothing to do with Superman.

The article from a few weeks ago said he was "mentoring" the new Superman movie, whatever that's supposed to mean.
dog

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #209 on: March 10, 2010, 12:33:59 PM »
And then they did an interview with some chick from Warner Bros who flat out denied it and said he had nothing to do with it.  Oh well.  PR people being PR people.  I should have known better.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #210 on: March 10, 2010, 12:46:25 PM »
And then they did an interview with some chick from Warner Bros who flat out denied it and said he had nothing to do with it.  Oh well.  PR people being PR people.  I should have known better.

I guess I missed that interview.

Edit: Here's the quote:

"Wouldn't you like to know!" laughed Nelson when asked if there was any truth to the recent rumor that "The Dark Knight" director Christopher Nolan will oversee a reboot of the "Superman" movie franchise.

"We don't have any plans about that, and as I've mentioned, in the coming months we'll be making a lot of announcements about what our content plans will be," she added. "But right now, that's nothing but rumor — and we frankly don't say a whole lot more about rumor than that, so..."

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/02/18/watchmen-sequels-and-christopher-nolans-superman-are-just-rumors-says-dc-president

Yeah, this comes across as one of those "It's true, but we haven't announced it yet so that means it's still just a rumor, we'll tell you later!" kind of things.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 12:50:51 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #211 on: March 10, 2010, 01:34:09 PM »
ah.  i saw someone on gaf paraphrasing and they didn't make it come off that way.  thanks

ManaByte

« Reply #212 on: March 12, 2010, 02:21:55 PM »
Spring 2012 Cameron is re-releasing Kate Winslet's boobies in 3D.  :drool
CBG

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #213 on: March 12, 2010, 02:32:05 PM »
Thank fucking God.  Too bad Avatar will be too far ahead by that point to have a rerelease put Titanic back in its rightful #1 position.

Kate :heart

ManaByte

« Reply #214 on: March 12, 2010, 03:03:55 PM »
A VERY HAROLD AND KUMAR CHRISTMAS
- looks like it is happening
- we catch up a little bit later in Harold and Kumar’s lives
-takes place over the holiday season
- this could be a legit holiday movie
- the intent is to honor the holiday traditional style of movies
- Neil Patrick Harris is supposed to be in it
CBG

Diunx

« Reply #215 on: March 12, 2010, 03:19:17 PM »
Thank fucking God.  Too bad Avatar will be too far ahead by that point to have a rerelease put Titanic back in its rightful #1 position.

Kate :heart

Actually Cameron said that the studio is interesting in rereleasing it this fall with extra footage.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/03/11/titanic-3d-coming-spring-2012-plans-for-a-possible-avatar-extended-cut-theatrical-rerelease/
Drunk

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #216 on: March 13, 2010, 12:35:13 PM »
I liked the first one but haven't found the second on shelves here yet. Was it any good?

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #217 on: March 13, 2010, 02:47:56 PM »
I liked the first one but haven't found the second on shelves here yet. Was it any good?

No. Don't watch it.
SRY

ManaByte

« Reply #218 on: March 17, 2010, 08:31:20 PM »
Final 30 minutes of Toy Story 3 leaves ShoWest in tears
So what can I tell you about “Toy Story 3” without revealing any significant surprises? … Er … Um … Well, for starters, you should bring Kleenex. Lots & lots of Kleenex. Because I can guarantee you that you’re going to spend a good portion of the last 30 minutes of this film in tears.

I mean, I sat in that hall today surrounded by hardened industry professionals. Exhibitors who care more about how much popcorn & soda they’re selling than the movies they’re currently showing at their multiplexes. And these jaded theater owners – as “Toy Story 3” entered the home stretch – were openly weeping. Tears streaming down hundreds of faces as the ultimate fate of Woody, Buzz, Jessie and the whole Andy’s Room gang was decided.

Speaking of which … I’m going to be very interested to see what sort of rating “Toy Story 3” gets. Because this movie gets really dark and scary at times. In fact, there’s one sequence toward the end of “TS3” where the toys are put in such peril (and then handle this literally horrifying moment with such grace, heart and courage) that I wonder if this moment in the movie may be just too much for little-little kids to handle. But then again – given how the sequence in question pays off, with this great character-driven “But of course!” moment (which got a huge reaction from the crowd today in Le Theatre Des Arts) – I honestly wouldn’t change a frame of this film.

Here’s something else that you’re going to want to do before seeing “Toy Story 3”: And that’s rewatch “Toy Story” & “Toy Story 2.” You see, Unkrich and Anderson have made a point of filling “TS3” with all sorts of witty tie-ins, clever call-backs to the first two films. And in order to really appreciate what Lee & Darla have done here, the first two “Toy Story” movies should still be fresh in your mind. (That way -- for example -- you'll realize that the last image in "Toy Story 3" echoes the very first thing that you see in the original "Toy Story.")

Another thing worth noting here is – while “Toy Story” was basically a buddy movie and “Toy Story 2” was more of a road picture … “Toy Story 3” – in its heart of hearts -- a caper. There’s at least one sequence (where I think it’s Dave Foley doing the voice of that Fisher Price phone) that gives off a strong “Ocean's Eleven” vibe. Which is another reason that it was so great that Pixar & Disney decided to show this work-in-progress version of “TS3” here in Vegas at the ShoWest crowd.
CBG

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #219 on: March 17, 2010, 08:42:30 PM »
Pixar is getting good at cuing the waterworks
SRY

Phoenix Dark

• The only nicca Sade dated
« Reply #220 on: March 17, 2010, 09:57:10 PM »
Not long ago I'd roll my eyes at that, like I rolled my eyes at descriptions of people crying during Up. Then I saw the first few minutes of Up  :'(

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #221 on: March 17, 2010, 10:02:06 PM »
Cid's room was pretty gruesome as a kid.

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #222 on: March 18, 2010, 08:11:44 AM »
[youtube=560,345]f3xTlm7FEaU[/youtube]

Sounds like an old school action movie.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #223 on: March 18, 2010, 08:57:42 AM »
My two friends and I will be seeing Toy Story 3 in 3D on weekend 1. We will proudly weep in joy.
nat

Exodust

• Howdy fellow demons
« Reply #224 on: March 18, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »
Goddammit I must see this movie!

Toy Story 1 and 2 came out when I still played with my toys, and Toy Story 3 is coming out when I hopefully go to college. Just perfect timing.
\m/

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #225 on: March 18, 2010, 02:02:08 PM »
Sounds like an old school action movie.
which is because its a remake of this old-school action movie.

hells to the ya.

Diunx

« Reply #226 on: March 18, 2010, 04:25:05 PM »
http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/03/18/tim-burton-to-bring-us-new-addams-family-film-in-3d-stop-motion-animation/

news comes today that Tim Burton is to make his own Addams Family film. Like his upcoming Frankenweenie, the Addams project is to be made as a 3D stop-motion project, pretty much roping in all of Burton’s interests at once.

This is the director pretty much getting back to basic principles, I think, and returning to something very close to his core passions and influences. Of course, the wave of haters could see it as a caricatured play and “another sign” that he’s lapsed into self parody. Me? I’m going with the former reading.

According to Deadline New York, the project is set up at Universal’s Illumination Entertainment, and Illumination’s Chris Meledandri will be joined in producing the film by Kevin Miserocchi of the Tee and Charles Addams Foundation. So far, however, a writer is yet to be hired. Place your bets now: John August? Pamela Pettler? Or how about Caroline Thomspon and Larry Wilson, screenwriters who have not only worked on Burton pictures before but also actually wrote the first Addams Family movie.

MAN I CAN'T WAIT FOR HIM TO ANNOUNCE THE CAST!!!!
Drunk

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #227 on: March 18, 2010, 04:26:07 PM »
fml why won't Tim Burton just die already
SRY

Dickie Dee

• Slip off the academic gown and on with the antic pants!
« Reply #228 on: March 19, 2010, 07:24:42 AM »

Say what you want, that's a badass poster
___

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #230 on: March 19, 2010, 07:28:33 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I'm so fucking stoked for this movie.
SRY

Cravis

« Reply #231 on: March 19, 2010, 10:13:04 AM »
http://movies.ign.com/dor/objects/429477/predator-3/videos/predators_trl1_031810.html?show=hi

Trailer for Predators
That looks amazing. This looks very promising with them focusing on the interactions between the characters. The jungle theme made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #232 on: March 22, 2010, 08:38:49 PM »
Dude from Not another teenage movie is Captain America.

Philip Cardgage

• Frank O'Conner's (Franchise Development Director of the once well reviewed Halo series) Life Coach
« Reply #233 on: March 22, 2010, 09:22:23 PM »
Uhmmmm, but he's also Johnny Storm....

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #234 on: March 22, 2010, 10:00:54 PM »
Uhmmmm, but he's also Johnny Storm....

Fantastic Four movies sucked, Fox canned the franchise till a reboot script worth a damn appears. A reboot will be re cast.

Diunx

« Reply #235 on: March 22, 2010, 10:35:31 PM »
Ugh, Johnny Storm casted as the leader of The Avengers and the inspiration of hundreds of WWII soldiers smh, I hope he and Reynolds pull off a Heath Ledger since I'm really looking forward to both movies but hate the casting.
Drunk

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
« Reply #236 on: March 22, 2010, 10:49:15 PM »
You don't seem to be able to differentiate the actor and the character he plays. The actor played a cocky douche very well.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #237 on: March 23, 2010, 01:29:09 AM »
You don't seem to be able to differentiate the actor and the character he plays. The actor played a cocky douche very well.

The problem is Ryan Reynolds only seems to play cocky douches.
PS4

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #238 on: March 23, 2010, 01:59:57 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Seriously, it is.  It's so crazy badass I'm never going to forget about this movie.

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #239 on: March 23, 2010, 02:24:38 AM »
Final 30 minutes of Toy Story 3 leaves ShoWest in tears
So what can I tell you about “Toy Story 3” without revealing any significant surprises? … Er … Um … Well, for starters, you should bring Kleenex. Lots & lots of Kleenex. Because I can guarantee you that you’re going to spend a good portion of the last 30 minutes of this film in tears.

I mean, I sat in that hall today surrounded by hardened industry professionals. Exhibitors who care more about how much popcorn & soda they’re selling than the movies they’re currently showing at their multiplexes. And these jaded theater owners – as “Toy Story 3” entered the home stretch – were openly weeping. Tears streaming down hundreds of faces as the ultimate fate of Woody, Buzz, Jessie and the whole Andy’s Room gang was decided.

Speaking of which … I’m going to be very interested to see what sort of rating “Toy Story 3” gets. Because this movie gets really dark and scary at times. In fact, there’s one sequence toward the end of “TS3” where the toys are put in such peril (and then handle this literally horrifying moment with such grace, heart and courage) that I wonder if this moment in the movie may be just too much for little-little kids to handle. But then again – given how the sequence in question pays off, with this great character-driven “But of course!” moment (which got a huge reaction from the crowd today in Le Theatre Des Arts) – I honestly wouldn’t change a frame of this film.

Here’s something else that you’re going to want to do before seeing “Toy Story 3”: And that’s rewatch “Toy Story” & “Toy Story 2.” You see, Unkrich and Anderson have made a point of filling “TS3” with all sorts of witty tie-ins, clever call-backs to the first two films. And in order to really appreciate what Lee & Darla have done here, the first two “Toy Story” movies should still be fresh in your mind. (That way -- for example -- you'll realize that the last image in "Toy Story 3" echoes the very first thing that you see in the original "Toy Story.")

Another thing worth noting here is – while “Toy Story” was basically a buddy movie and “Toy Story 2” was more of a road picture … “Toy Story 3” – in its heart of hearts -- a caper. There’s at least one sequence (where I think it’s Dave Foley doing the voice of that Fisher Price phone) that gives off a strong “Ocean's Eleven” vibe. Which is another reason that it was so great that Pixar & Disney decided to show this work-in-progress version of “TS3” here in Vegas at the ShoWest crowd.

Well, Up had me teared up in ten minutes so I can believe this.
HLR